Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E09: Something Has To Give

Maneka quits her job after feeling overwhelmed by career demands and Mayur's expectations; Ben wants Vicki to find a job, resulting in a power struggle between the two; and Taylor returns from flight attendant school with a big announcement.

As if we are suppose to really believe Maneka would quit that job or her slimeball husband would be ok with that..please! Not buying considering all there yelp reviews for each other. If Ben is pushing her to get a job he better damn well be getting one too and helping with things. Maybe Taylor will return to say she doesn't have the job after all or has realized she can't be so far away from David. LOL

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Nancybeth said:

Oh god, is Taylor pregnant?  Please don't be pregnant.  David will never be free! 

OMG I hope not. I can't imagine him even wanting to have sex with her and how she has acted. 

• Love 4
7 hours ago, jacksgirl said:

Please, please, please - Tantrum. I mean Taylor got kicked out of flight attendant school.

LOL I'm hoping for this. As I said I don't see how they have been having any sex at all with how she acts. Who would be in the mood with that coming at you with her crazy?

• Love 2

Oh no... I knew it was coming. Now that she is jumping to fulfill all of his needs, Ben is demanding Vicki be the breadwinner as well as cook and clean ? I can't. There are a small number of yeshiva men who sit and learn Torah all day while their wives work, cook, and clean and rear the children but they are born into the ultra orthodox world. Modern orthodox men are expected to work and learn Torah in free time. Again, I can't. He got a lot from Vicki and I don't know what she benefitted by marrying him.... this is why 21 is very young to get married because simply " in love" is not enough. What I wanted from a partner at 21 is different than what I wanted a few years down the road. 

• Love 8

I don't keep up with the Texas couple and I dont know much about flight attendants but I assumed it was a job primarily for single people looking for some fun and adventure in different places. It probably entails being away from home a lot and I can't imagine a married woman, possible with kids not too far down the road, being able to carry on this job without sacrificing major family time. When I was 20I thought about it but I get dizzy on flights. 

5 hours ago, ExplainItAgain said:

I'm guessing Taylor is pregnant. What's the situation as a flight attendant when you're pregnant? I don't think I've ever encountered a pregnant flight attendant. Do they work in the office?

Not so long ago, I was on a flight with a pregnant flight attendant...and it was on a CRJ which had only the one attendant in addition to the flight crew.  It was not just the beginnings of a baby bump either, so I am presuming pregnant attendants probably have medical guidelines of how far into the pregnancy they continue working. Long (and well) gone are the days when female attendants could be fired for being overweight, married and/or pregnant.

5 minutes ago, kat12379 said:

I don't keep up with the Texas couple and I dont know much about flight attendants but I assumed it was a job primarily for single people looking for some fun and adventure in different places. It probably entails being away from home a lot and I can't imagine a married woman, possible with kids not too far down the road, being able to carry on this job without sacrificing major family time. When I was 20I thought about it but I get dizzy on flights. 

Not so much anymore. I worked for a major commercial US-based international airline for 22 years (Reservations Sales Training Instructor), and my sister worked for a different major commercial US-based international airline as a flight attendant from the age of 21 through retirement.

Since commercial airlines began experiencing serious financial difficulties after the airline industry was deregulated in 1978, flight crew layover times have been greatly reduced. A flight attendant working US routes will rarely be overnighting anywhere. It's more like a part-time job; you may fly all day on Monday from early morning until you return back to your base city late at night, then not fly again until Wednesday or Thursday. This dramatically reduces the money spent by airlines for crew on hotels/local transportation/meals when laying over in a city.

Flight attendants travel from 65-85 hours per month, and have an average 150 days off per year. Most flight attendants now are married (although there also many single moms). This is one job that does allow you to spend considerable, uninterrupted blocks of times with your family, and reduces the number of hours/days any young children need to spend in daycare (likewise reducing the cost of daycare for the parent(s)).

Because of Taylor's height, I suspect she has been hired by a regional carrier under the umbrella of a major airline, such as one of the American Eagle affiliates of American Airlines. The routes those flights take are short-haul trips. Taylor might, for example, work four or five round-trip flights between DFW (Dallas-Ft. Worth) and Houston in one day. She definitely will not be flying to San Francisco or New York, staying overnight, and then returning the following day or the day after. US-based airlines simply don't do that anymore due to the added crew costs on layovers.

Even IF she were hired by a major airline that flies both routes within the US and also internationally (which I doubt, because she doesn't meet the height requirement), it would be a couple of years for her to gain enough seniority to be awarded international trips on her bid. (Flight attendants, once they've passed probation, bid on the trips/days off they want, which are awarded according to seniority). Those are about the only trips that still involve overnighting anymore - although the layover time for those trips has been reduced as well. Flights from the US to Europe, for example, traditionally depart the US in the evening, and arrive in Europe in the morning (local time zones). Trips from Europe back to the US traditionally depart Europe in the morning and arrive back in the US in the early afternoon. So, the layover time in Europe now usually is around 24 hours (and they have to rest up during that time to prepare for the flight back).

This nice thing about being an international flight attendant is you may only work five trips a month; that gives you a LOT of free time at home.

• Love 6
7 hours ago, ExplainItAgain said:

I'm guessing Taylor is pregnant. What's the situation as a flight attendant when you're pregnant? I don't think I've ever encountered a pregnant flight attendant. Do they work in the office?

No problem being pregnant as an attendant. And they still carry on with their regular duties.

Thank you for that info, Twirly. I would imagine that probably around 8 months pregnant a flight attendant would have to go on leave due to the possibility of going into labor during the flight? You bring up good points about the time off that a flight attendant gets. However, a woman would have to have either a very supportive husband or family who can watch the kids during those extra-long work days that the flight attendant does work, and I don't know how predictable the schedule can be. 

Thanks for all the insight about flight attendants. I fly quite a bit and I'm surprised I've never run into a pregnant flight attendant. Kudos to them, it seems like a tough job to handle even when not pregnant!

After all this speculation, it'll probably turn out to be nothing. Dare to dream that she quit or got kicked out.

(edited)
2 hours ago, kat12379 said:

Thank you for that info, Twirly. I would imagine that probably around 8 months pregnant a flight attendant would have to go on leave due to the possibility of going into labor during the flight? You bring up good points about the time off that a flight attendant gets. However, a woman would have to have either a very supportive husband or family who can watch the kids during those extra-long work days that the flight attendant does work, and I don't know how predictable the schedule can be. 

All flight attendants are on "reserve" during their probationary period (the length of which varies by airline, generally 6 month to a year, from what I recall). Being on "reserve" is similar to being a doctor on call - when you're "legal" to fly (meaning, enough hours have elapsed since your last trip, and you haven't exceeded the total number of hours per month you're allowed to fly) - you'll be called to fill in when a trip is short a crew member for whatever reason. The call can come any time, day or night - and you must report to the airport (usually) within two hours of the call.

However, once you are no longer on "reserve," you bid for each month's trips/schedule a month in advance, so barring things like weather delays/cancellations/etc., you do know when you're leaving, where you're going, and when you're coming home.

Working for an airline can be hard at times (it's 24 hours a day/7 days a week/365 days a year - regardless of whether you work in a Reservations Center, at an airport, or are part of a flight crew). But, the benefits are fabulous! I flew to Vegas one Friday night, gambled for four hours at Circus Circus (nickel slot machine, one nickel at a time!) and flew back on the red eye - first class both directions. The trip, including my flight service charge and airport transfers in Las Vegas, cost me less than 20.00. And I won 88.00 from the nickel slot machine! (Much more fun than spending a Friday night in front of the TV).

Another time I flew to Los Angeles and back on a Friday night. First class again, both ways. Took a cab to the Promenade (Venice Beach) and went bar hopping. Fun!

And then of course there were longer trips, planned well in advance. Were the benefits I received as an employee of a major airline worth all the stress (my first three years of employment, I worked every.major.holiday.)? Absolutely. The pay was good, too. So I have NO regrets.

Edited by TwirlyGirly
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, kat12379 said:

Oh no... I knew it was coming. Now that she is jumping to fulfill all of his needs, Ben is demanding Vicki be the breadwinner as well as cook and clean ? I can't. There are a small number of yeshiva men who sit and learn Torah all day while their wives work, cook, and clean and rear the children but they are born into the ultra orthodox world. Modern orthodox men are expected to work and learn Torah in free time. Again, I can't. He got a lot from Vicki and I don't know what she benefitted by marrying him.... this is why 21 is very young to get married because simply " in love" is not enough. What I wanted from a partner at 21 is different than what I wanted a few years down the road. 

Thanks for that insight. Seems Ben wants to pick and decide what they follow and how they follow it all. He disgusts me more and more. It was obvious before the wedding he was going to be controlling but its so much worse than I imagined if he is trying to be an ultra orthodox. I really wish Vicki would have ran from the wedding. She is stuck in a spot where she will have nothing for herself because it will have to be all about Ben and nothing else. I would bet even if they have kids that he would still want it all about him first. I agree that at 21 you may see the world one way and who you want as a partner compared to a few years or more down the road. I hope she wakes up and kicks his ass to wake up about what it will take to keep that marriage going or she walks away from him. 

• Love 5

It's so sad, because the vast majority of the Orthodox and Ultra Orthodox who have TRULY arranged marriages, not the we-knew-each-other-but-a-matchmaker-officially-paired-us-up Ben and Vicki, have beautiful, loving marriages, without all this strife and craziness and control. But they would never be filmed for a show like this, because the really devout / ultra Orthodox shy away from being on camera and especially to have their lives filmed for public consumption. So instead we get these dysfunctional crazies. Sigh.

• Love 3
(edited)

I'm so tired of Taylor's mom and dad and their "In Texas..." sayings.

Oh my god...Maneka's fashion show was embarrassing.

I thought Taylor's announcement would be that she's pregnant, but really...to cut off right before her base announcement is even more lame.

Edited by ExplainItAgain
  • Love 4

You suck show! Making us wait until next week to hear Taylor's Big Announcement!  I don't think she's pregnant. 

How do Vicki and Ben live if neither one of them has a job? A lot of college students work AND go to school at the same time. Ben needs a kick in the ass! 

Is Mayur for real? I hope this is all fake for this show because if he's serious about Maneka working two jobs plus being his indentured servant he needs a kick in the ass too! 

• Love 5

FUCK this stupid little insipid man-child Ben!!! In what world does he get off thinking he can treat Vicki like an indentured servant?!! Fucking guy! 

UGH, Vicki needs to get out there, file an annulment and maybe look for love somewhere else. She's in New York for fuck's sake, only Israel itself is more Jewish. She could find a much better guy.

• Love 11

That was the saddest fashion show I've ever seen. Yeesh. I hope it was fake because if she actually intended for that to be a produced show that would bring in business, she failed miserably. If you're having anything other than a game night and you send out the invitations two days before, you may as well not bother. I do think she's talking sense about quitting one of her jobs and I maintain that if Mayur is actually her boss, it's really inappropriate. You can't manage people you have a personal relationship with. (Regardless, she needs to get familiar with batch cooking and freezing. It's a working professional's best friend. Map out the meals for the week and do a lot of prep and cooking on the weekend, then pull stuff out as needed.)

I don't understand why it's impossible for Ben to work. School and work have always gone hand in hand for me, starting in high school. I do think SOMEONE needs to be working; I just don't understand why it has to be Vicki. It should probably be both of them, frankly. And then sit down and do a budget like adults! Ben seems so childlike to me. "I'm happy to help out." It's not "helping!" Clean the house! Him sitting there in that talking head arguing about why him not doing anything doesn't make him a shitty person was driving me nuts.

I admit I laughed at Taylor fucking up in flight attendant training, and I'm not sorry about it. 

• Love 8

This was driving me crazy: the number of credit hours that Vicky and Ben are each taking is what's important and should count more than the number of days of the week they have classes. And since Vicky already works full time at home Ben loses and needs to get a job.

Ben needs to STFU about everything since he is always rude and wrong. 

It sucks that Vicky didn't just get into vegetarianism or become a libertarian in college instead of getting gung ho on her religion - if she had, she wouldn't be stuck with Ben.

• Love 8

From your lips to G-d's ears, Adeejay. Damn, watching Ben is depressing---I cannot fathom living with him.

How many times this episode did Maneka apologize for being late? I lost count. The random hot and sour soup was great---what were the odds of her successfully getting that right the first time? Or did she buy one of those horrid mixes and dump the packaging? More likely. And still too good for Manure.

STFU, Taylor. I was shocked, shocked, to learn you did poorly. David! I was happy to see you running this ep---now put that to good use and get the hell away from her.

• Love 4

Ben is an asshole and hides behind selective religious doctrines to make his young wife be a slave for all his perceived needs. As a male that is his right and privilege, don't ya know?  I don't know much about Orthodox Jewish principles, however, I have interacted with a few Orthodox Jewish men in a business capacity (and THAT was decidedly progressive on their part) and some less strict Jewish people (employed in their business) and one thing that I do know, is that Ben would not be considered a good man or a good husband (in their eyes) by not attempting to also take care of and provide for HIS wife and to try and lift her burden a little. That may mean working! Being a man means doing what you need to do for your family and wife. Putting yourself last (sometimes) for THEIR needs. As a parent, I have put my desires second to the needs of my child on many occasions. As many have said, Ben is a man child and should NEVER have gotten married. He wants a mommy.  Vicki and Ben are really incompatible and they should get out now. They are not mature enough to make this work and they haven't had enough life experience to know whether or not there is enough there to make it work. I feel bad for her because I think she wants to be an Orthodox wife, but needs a supportive man by her side. 

• Love 9

Ben and Vickie need to do the 5 Languages of Love test.  I can tell Vickie's is "Acts of Service" because she thinks that Ben should step up and do things (which he should, seeing him just sprawled out on the couch while she was doing things made me so mad). Also (and this is a sincere question because I grew up Baptist) how hard is it it to keep a Kosher house, especially an apartment that size?  Ben acted SHOCKED when his dad mentioned that Ben should also consider getting a job.  Most college students work as well as take classes. I did and I survived.  

Taylor in the beginning acting like all she was doing was studying and then come to find out she was near the bottom of her class made me laugh.  When she threw her ring up to David while they were talking made me think she was doing that with all the other people and that's probably why she wasn't making any friends.  I will admit though this time she didn't drive me as crazy (I guess because she wasn't on as much), but David was.  David (I hate to use the word obsessing because my dad also died 5 years ago), obsessing over his dad's death started to pull me down. But also David needs to be a man (not a Texas man) and talk to Taylor about how he is feeling about his dad's death and make her realize not everything has to do with Taylor and Taylor's world.  

I hope Maneka's fashion show was just for this show.  Mayur, I better not say what I think about him.  

• Love 2
On 7/1/2016 at 11:58 PM, Lovecat said:

That girl is so mean, I wouldn't be surprised if her hoo-ha were lined with razor blades.

LOL! I said the jaws of her cooch! He will never be free

If Ben was my husband...wait..that would never happen.

Boy needs to man up...I would never tolerate that..oh hell no....get your ass up, get a job and quit being a crybaby, Ben.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, PityFree said:

It sucks that Vicky didn't just get into vegetarianism or become a libertarian in college instead of getting gung ho on her religion - if she had, she wouldn't be stuck with Ben.

This, 100%. I thought the same thing. Vicky thought she'd find happiness in the ancient traditions of her religion--she'd keep a kosher home, prepare Shabbas dinner every Friday, with her devoted husband by her side. Instead she's a joyless drudge catering to her spoiled child of a husband. She derives no joy from her religion; its traditions bring her no happiness or spiritual solace. Does she go to the synagogue to pray? Does she get any spiritual nourishment from her choice to embrace Orthodoxy? She says she wanted a deeper connection to her faith but I'm not seeing it. She always looks so miserable.

And why does she have to get a crap job at an ice cream place? Can't she get work study or a job on campus that will pay better than minimum wage?

Maneka and Mayur make me all stabby. Maneka's scenes are cringeworthy, since everyone is such a terrible actor. "There's a....model! Coming for a....a...fitting! She's supposed to be here soon!" Girl please. And you're in business with your mother--couldn't she have sent out the invitations? That whole thing was ridiculous. It seems they agreed to do this show to promote their real estate careers and Maneka's store. Looks like Mayur wants to lure in the douchebag market. I can't imagine doing business with such a twat.

David should run, far and fast. Taylor sucks, for real. What a dreadful, nasty, selfish, little girl. I howled with laughter when she pouted that she had no friends at school. Of course she doesn't.

• Love 9

Ben is forgive me...a p*ssy. The look of incredulity when his father said maybe he should get a job. Vicki looks miserable. The acting may be trash, but he's a boy. He has no business being married. I swear all these women just wanted to be married. I'm struggling to understand what she sees in him.

Taylor was great this week because she wasn't on much. I feel for David. He needs some closure and healing. I did agree with the reverend last week that maybe he's angry at his father for dying suddenly and making him the man of the house. I can understand that. Unfortunately, Taylor would probably make his feelings about her. For a 25/26 year old with a new hubby, career opportunity, and no responsibilities, she sure seems miserable.

Maneka should've followed her gut. Manure treats her like a possession. I just want to slap the smug look off his face.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Pepper Mostly said:

Maneka and Mayur make me all stabby. Maneka's scenes are cringeworthy, since everyone is such a terrible actor. "There's a....model! Coming for a....a...fitting! She's supposed to be here soon!" Girl please. And you're in business with your mother--couldn't she have sent out the invitations? That whole thing was ridiculous. It seems they agreed to do this show to promote their real estate careers and Maneka's store. Looks like Mayur wants to lure in the douchebag market. I can't imagine doing business with such a twat.

Notice the pregnant "model" did not look Indian at all? Obviously none of them were real models but more people she probably picked from the area. Her describing the clothes was terrible. If you send invites late what does she expect? I have a feeling this was all fake and set up to see like she is on overload. From what I see her store is in a city that has a good population of Indian people. I have to wonder if they did try to do this for real, if they didn't show because they knew there was a chance of being on tv or her store doesn't have a great rep in the area maybe. It just came off as she plucked strangers off the sidewalk to do this thing and had no clue what she was doing herself. When is it they decided she is trying to get pregnant? And why did I sit threw this? LOL BTW, this store is about 45 mins way or more from Newport Beach. Traveling back and forth would be a lot of gas and traffic to deal with. There would be no way to do both jobs in one day really but yet doesn't her mom run the store too? LMAO when I heard her say they are a power couple. Sadly these 2 are just pushing their work and nothing more though. She has pushed her store and being a realtor here and he has pushed being in charge of an office for a real estate company. Its they only reason they seem to have done this show. At least with Ragini and Veeral, we didn't hear the names of their companies every show or ever. We knew they had jobs but not once was there time showing them at work or talk of that all the time. 

I would love to smack Ben ....hard! He can't claim he has no time to get a job if he had the time to leave and go away over night to his buddies when he can't be near her. He needs to get the damn job like a man would and take care of his wife. His faces he makes scream smug piece of crap! Why is he bitching and going over the money spent on this party of his. Wow his face when they are doing the TH together. What if he doesn't do it? Why would he ask that? I loved that she said he was scattered brain. He has an excuse for everything it seems like...for why he doesn't help or do things she asks or why she should get a job and not him. Even to his dad he had excuses!!! Then pouted like a baby! I don't remember this party being thrown for him as surprise like he was saying to his dad. Did I miss that in the beginning? Him with that fake cry face was terrible. I can't believe she went out and got a job. SMH At this point I would tell her to leave the place in shambles. Let him see how it will be when she isn't there because she has to do school and work. Heck I am surprised he didn't tell her to drop out of school. I can see him doing that sadly. He disgusts me so much! 

Of course Taylor has no friends. She has bitch face 24/7. No one wants to be friends with that. 

• Love 6

I don't know if this has been discussed but it seems clear now that Taylor is a flight attendant for American Airlines.  She was wearing her uniform scarf in the episode which my rough googling points to AA.  Also googling "flight attendant school phoenix" indicates that AA has flight attendant training in phoenix and charlotte (though that is changing since the merge with US airways at the end of last year).  I am assuming all the filming was done before the merge.  So her possible hub cities include: Dallas, Phoenix, NYC, LA, Miami, Chicago, Philadelphia, Charlotte, or DC.  I don't know how competitive each market is.  We may have to wait until next episode.  Taylor did mention an east coast possibility which doesn't really narrow it down.

All this just makes me think all the RV and job fights were for show.  That Taylor and David both knew Taylor would be training to be a flight attendant and that they would have to relocate once she finished.  Though I still believe they really stayed at an apartment some place and filmed in the RV for the show.  With all of Taylor's "stuff" it's clear she didn't really move into the RV.  David crying about his teacher's contract will probably end up being no big deal.

• Love 3

I just have to comment on Vicki and Ben.  Run, Vicki, run.  He is loathsome.  His father even told him he was unreasonable.  But his parents raised a childish monster. 
But I'm not sure it would be any different with anyone else.  I think most men in this community don't cook and clean.  I can't imagine a more miserable couple.

• Love 7

I just cannot for the life of me understand Ben's appeal. I'm seriously hoping that each of these couples was told to act outrageously for the cameras, otherwise Vicki is screwed. 

And I still don't get how Taylor and David can unironically and non-jokingly discuss divorce yet turn around and claim that they love one another, when we haven't heard them say those words to each other throughout the entire series. 

Don't even get me started on Mayur. He's a waste of words. 

• Love 4

Sadly, Taylor's bitch face/nagging, Manure's on-again/off-again traditional behaviour, and Ben's hiding behind (read: cherry picking facets of religion) are all too common without editing. A producer wouldn't have to work too hard to liven it up. The drama could be upped for TV sake, but there might be a kernel of truth in the personalities displayed. I believe Ben is a lazy tightwad. I believe Taylor is that obnoxious. Why didn't she have a job again? Manure is all about making money and collecting prized possessions.

I definitely wonder if Vicki will be happy 5 years from now.  What I wanted at 21 wasn't the same at 26. He's extremely immature. He must have missed lessons on how a man is a provider for his family. Sitting on your arse and lamenting about how good you have it while your wife goes to uni, cleans your flat, makes you lunch, etc. isn't a good look. He doesn't seem too flexible and has no idea how to be the head of the household.

• Love 2

Thank you, Big Mother, you hit the nail on the head. I feel that it is very wrong for the Jewish couple to exploit themselves and the community in such a bad light on national TV. Plus - I feel that the fights that they have are scripted bullsh*t. I really hate saying bad things about reality people on the internet so I will refrain the best I can. I m not perfect - so I will not put myself on blast on reality TV and I certainly would not fight on TV, whether it is real or producer-driven, like it seems to be here. 

There are plenty of Orthodox Jewish couples who were really arranged - by a matchmaker and engaged after a few dates - and who grew up Orthodox and would have made this show so much more interesting than this couple who are recently religious. However, those couples would not exploit themselves on TV. 

There are some men out there who, once they are married, cannot stand the thought of their wife using any of the money that he earned. Even if she is home with a baby, cooking, cleaning, etc. those men don't understand the concept of a man providing for his wife and believe that she should pay for all of her own expenses. I think that Ben just doesn't want to work because he knows that he will have to share some spending money with Vicki, and that may be a new concept for him that he wasn't prepared for. I just dont like how he makes soooo many excuses for himself, no matter what. In their TH, Vicki tried soooo hard to get him to give a little - she was like ,"what if i tell you over and over to do something....for months... and again..." and he just kept yammering out BS excuses, like "maybe i'm distracted?" Uhh.... can he just say "Yes, I have responsibility to do SOMETHING for you"  ? I mean, does he not really care about her or something? What does he do for her? And by the way, if he has time to hang out with friends, meet Vicki up for coffee, or do whatever, he has time for an evening job. (Rolls eyes). I just hate how Vicki just jumps to fulfill every need and desire of Ben and gets nothing back. It scares me that there are a lot of men out there who are now expecting their wives to carry a full load of housework, work, and child rearing .... I know men like that... 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, rudy10 said:

I don't know if this has been discussed but it seems clear now that Taylor is a flight attendant for American Airlines.  She was wearing her uniform scarf in the episode which my rough googling points to AA.  Also googling "flight attendant school phoenix" indicates that AA has flight attendant training in phoenix and charlotte (though that is changing since the merge with US airways at the end of last year).  I am assuming all the filming was done before the merge.  So her possible hub cities include: Dallas, Phoenix, NYC, LA, Miami, Chicago, Philadelphia, Charlotte, or DC.  I don't know how competitive each market is.  We may have to wait until next episode.  Taylor did mention an east coast possibility which doesn't really narrow it down.

All this just makes me think all the RV and job fights were for show.  That Taylor and David both knew Taylor would be training to be a flight attendant and that they would have to relocate once she finished.  Though I still believe they really stayed at an apartment some place and filmed in the RV for the show.  With all of Taylor's "stuff" it's clear she didn't really move into the RV.  David crying about his teacher's contract will probably end up being no big deal.

I did notice that scarf as well and figured she must have got the job. Probably barely considering the height and her bitch face. LOL I agree with all you said om the RV and job fights. I wouldn't be surprised to find they were living in a decent place after all...heck we found out Ben and Vicki don't live in that little 1 bedroom and its for filming. 

20 minutes ago, AussieBabe said:

Sadly, Taylor's bitch face/nagging, Manure's on-again/off-again traditional behaviour, and Ben's hiding behind (read: cherry picking facets of religion) are all too common without editing. A producer wouldn't have to work too hard to liven it up. The drama could be upped for TV sake, but there might be a kernel of truth in the personalities displayed. I believe Ben is a lazy tightwad. I believe Taylor is that obnoxious. Why didn't she have a job again? Manure is all about making money and collecting prized possessions.

I definitely wonder if Vicki will be happy 5 years from now.  What I wanted at 21 wasn't the same at 26. He's extremely immature. He must have missed lessons on how a man is a provider for his family. Sitting on your arse and lamenting about how good you have it while your wife goes to uni, cleans your flat, makes you lunch, etc. isn't a good look. He doesn't seem too flexible and has no idea how to be the head of the household.

Agree that I wouldn't be surprised if this is how they are either and maybe even worse when the camera is off of them. Which I don't think Ben is really a tightwad but just doesn't want HER to spend money on things she might like or herself. HE wants to be the one to spend money. Remember he was giving her crap over her spending but the second she turned it on how he does too and wastes his lunches on top of it, he shut her down. He doesn't want to give up a damn thing to save but for her to have to give up EVERYTHING.

• Love 3
(edited)

I jyst wanna add 1 more thing before the baby wakes up. Cleaning up that tiny apartment does not take all day, when ther are no kids in the house. I assume they dont do laundry at home anyways because its NYC. Cooking a weekday meal, cleaning up, shouldnt take more than an hour and a half a day tops, max. So if Vicki goes to school 2 days a week, she should be all means get some kind of part time job. Clean the apartment for an hour at night if you need to. Ben, too - he didnt mention what exactly he is studying. Unless he is in med school, law school or MBA he gotta work and provide.

I was a little disgusted when Mayur said that Indians have traditional gender roles, but the wife has to work, and cook 3 meals a day for her husband. I don't know about that but you would have to be a super robot to do all that. Why cant men just let women be equals.... work the same hours, share the housework .....OR let a woman stay home with the kids/ household duties without giving her a hard time about it? I just think a lot of men today from other cultures have unfair expectations of married women .  I know, I take care of my baby full time, I am a full time nursing student without a babysitter or help (yes... strangely Ive been able to do both), yet I get a lot of shit from my husbands family about not having a job (they are from another culture). Rant over!:)

Edited by kat12379
  • Love 4
(edited)

I did laugh at Vicky's whinging that she cleans all day. That tiny apartment? Get real. An hour a week for maintenance, (sweep up, do the dishes, straighten up, take out trash) and at most a couple of hours on Saturday to mop floors, scrub the bathroom, maybe iron. And yeah, Mayur is full of shit. If he was that "traditional", Maneka wouldn't work, she'd be home polishing the drawer pulls and ironing his underwear, when she wasn't whipping up a batch of chapattis and popping out babies. Maneka should hire a housecleaner, subscribe to Blue Apron, and tell Mayur to take a seat.

Edited by Pepper Mostly
  • Love 4

The thing that bothers me the most about Ben is that he eventually comes around to understand her needs - HOWEVER, he only comes around to them AFTER another man has told him he's being an idiot. 

He has no ability to realize when he's wrong, on his own. 

I would not want to be in a marriage where my husband only compromised when another man told him to. 

• Love 7

You know, ever since someone posted in a previous thread that they didn't really live in Harlem, I've been watching the other scenes more closely. And when she went "job hunting," there were clearly houses in the background that aren't anywhere in the city. A quick Google of the shop (which is closed now) shows it's located in Rockville Centre, NY. Which sure as hell ain't Manhattan, and a good 90 minutes from where they allegedly really live, in Far Rockaway. Reality TV ain't reality??** Therefore I can't get too arsed about their sitcom problems that are wrapped up in 60 minutes each week, until the next one.

** I'm shocked, SHOCKED to find gambling in this establishment.

I had some time to kill and read some of Vicki's and Taylors twitter today. Taylor definitely works for American Eagle out of Fort Worth. They seem happy actually. Vicki's twitter was very sweet and there was a link to an interview that they did as a couple. Of course, as every one knows it can come down to editing. Currently both Vicki and Ben have jobs.

• Love 1
On 7/2/2016 at 4:03 PM, kat12379 said:

Goodness, don't let Ben find out the REAL way those large families are supported in NYC. (Hint: NYC taxpayers.) Although I'm sure he's been hipped. Mmm hmm.

3 hours ago, Pepper Mostly said:

I did laugh at Vicky's whinging that she cleans all day. That tiny apartment? Get real. An hour a week for maintenance, (sweep up, do the dishes, straighten up, take out trash) and at most a couple of hours on Saturday to mop floors, scrub the bathroom, maybe iron. And yeah, Mayur is full of shit. If he was that "traditional", Maneka wouldn't work, she'd be home polishing the drawer pulls and ironing his underwear, when she wasn't whipping up a batch of chapattis and popping out babies. Maneka should hire a housecleaner, subscribe to Blue Apron, and tell Mayur to take a seat.

I would bet she has to be on top of anything and everything when it comes to cleaning up after her man child. I can see him being one of those that once he is doing drinking a sip of water, wanting that glass washed and cleaned right then and there. Sadly we have no clue what they really live in since it was said they don't live in that tiny apartment. I wouldn't be surprised as well if she has to mop, sweep, vacuum, scrub and everything else on a daily bases or its not up to his standards. As for Mayur and Maneka, I would bet anything they have a maid but we are suppose to believe that isn't how it is. I can't see someone who acts like his shit don't stink and is around tons of wealthy people like he is and doesn't have one. I would think he would feel looked down upon for not. LOL 

2 hours ago, lilsadone said:

The thing that bothers me the most about Ben is that he eventually comes around to understand her needs - HOWEVER, he only comes around to them AFTER another man has told him he's being an idiot. 

I would not want to be in a marriage where my husband only compromised when another man told him to. 

Sadly, I don't think he ever really compromises even when told to my another man. He wants it all his way or no way. Look at how he pouted at his dad when he got told to get a job too? He didn't like being told this at all. If he went running to the Rabbi again for "help" he would be told to get one as well I bet but he would pout again. This guy is pathetic as all hell. I can't imagine his parents would be to proud of him when watching this. 

21 minutes ago, mrsdeanwinchester said:

I had some time to kill and read some of Vicki's and Taylors twitter today. Taylor definitely works for American Eagle out of Fort Worth. They seem happy actually. Vicki's twitter was very sweet and there was a link to an interview that they did as a couple. Of course, as every one knows it can come down to editing. Currently both Vicki and Ben have jobs.

If he does have a job good but who knows when it is he got one. It could have been when they were done filming or after being told over and over by others to get one and not let her just do everything. He is one of those that will never do a damn thing on their own without having real adult men telling him over and over and over again and seeing that Vicki is doing it. I would think also because she would tell him in the end (I would hope) that its her money and she is going shopping...just to bug the crap out of him and his pathetic controlling little scrawny ass. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, lilsadone said:

Yes, exactly. Ben will consult his rabbi, his father, his buddies, everyone he knows with a penis, to find out how his wife feels, when he could, you know, have a real conversation with his wife. He does not take her seriously and everything, everything needs to be mansplained before he'll give it a crumb of validity. 

And @Evil Queen, I agree, I'm sure Ben is gesturing wordlessly toward a dirty glass in the sink or a dust bunny in the corner, waiting for Vicky to attend to it. Poor Vicky probably can't sit down for five minutes! 

• Love 4

I find this show depressing.  You've got David, who seems like he had one too many concussions and Taylor, who makes my ears bleed.  You've got Ben is a spoiled Jewish American Prince and doesn't deserve Vicki, who should probably seek some counseling because no one in her right mind, no matter how desperate to find a "family," should marry a boy who is less mature than a 12 yo. kid. Please, Vicki, no children with this prick EVER! Maneka set back the feminist movement about 50 years and I simply have to get this off my chest:  What is with Mayur's flat head?  It looks like the back of his head is one large Lego.

So glad that others mentioned Ben's parents with regard to his refusal to do anything around the house.  Wow, good job, folks.  Someone taught him that if you don't do anything (for fuck's sake, can you take out the garbage at least?) or you make the person nag you to do a chore, eventually you just aren't asked (or "reminded") any more.

• Love 8