Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

On 4/12/2024 at 6:28 PM, tres bien said:

I like Jennifer Coolidge but I hate that in the Discover credit card commercials she's always dumb 

They come over the radio too & I can't change the station fast enough!

I love JC too but just the adds are stupid!

• Like 5

All of the Balance of Nature commercials annoy me, but the one with the dentist really ticks me off. Honestly, in 20 years we're probably going to find out it's mostly made up of amphetamines. 

• Like 3
  • LOL 1
On 4/15/2024 at 1:22 PM, chessiegal said:

I don't see how a can of wet cat food that is stored with a fitted silicon lid is different than any other food properly stored. I see no need whatsoever to keep it away from other food. Mileage varies.

Just to clarify: I have no expectations whatsoever of how someone else stores their pets' food within their own refrigerator and realize it's my own hang-up.  My issue with those stupid commercials is the insistence that it's not dog food.  Yes, it freaking is dog food.  Expensive dog food and one which requires refrigeration, but still dog food.  Having the dog owners be douchebags about it does not make me want to buy their product.

• Like 5
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, mmecorday said:

All of the Balance of Nature commercials annoy me, but the one with the dentist really ticks me off. Honestly, in 20 years we're probably going to find out it's mostly made up of amphetamines.

On March 21st I posted something similar in the As Seen on TV Does Any of this Crap Work board.

It has to be BS

• Like 2

If my dentist started talking to me about my nutrition, I'd find a new dentist. That's what my PCP is for.

Yeah, the dentist says "I don't stuff anything *ha ha* down anyone's throat. But Balance of Nature has worked for me. It's easy, take it, it's going to help." 

I think he probably could have phrased that differently.

• Like 3

I know the Lume commercials have been discussed, but that Dr. Shannon grosses me out.  I don't need to see her point to her nasty bits and refer to them by their grossest names like "butt crack" and "under-boob".  And she seems to have convinced the easily convinced that they need to spend extra money on a special deodorant for places other than their armpits.  Supposedly there's science to back up its claims of preventing odor before it starts, but the reviews don't seem to be as great on that as I'd expect if it were really that great.  Personally I think if you smell that bad in other areas of your body maybe you just need to take a shower, LOL.  I don't get starting an obsession that's completely unnecessary unless it's just to make money off of people.  But I guess that's the point. 

• Like 11
  • Applause 5
19 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Just to clarify: I have no expectations whatsoever of how someone else stores their pets' food within their own refrigerator and realize it's my own hang-up.  My issue with those stupid commercials is the insistence that it's not dog food.  Yes, it freaking is dog food.  Expensive dog food and one which requires refrigeration, but still dog food.  Having the dog owners be douchebags about it does not make me want to buy their product.

this is my exact issue with these commercials.  I don't give a crap where they store their dog food but, yes, it is actually dog food no matter what they try to imply what it is.  It is food for the dog, therefore dog food.  

• Like 7
(edited)

I get what they are going for with the dog food semantics. I could call a banana "dog food" as well if i was intending to give it to my dog -- and I guess I could then say that I was eating dog food if I decided to eat that banana myself (just an example; I have no idea if a dog is supposed to eat bananas). I guess, though, that they could have spent more time figuring out how to express the "wordplay" idea better. 

ETA: I can't think of examples at the moment, but this kind of thing annoys me fairly often in commercials -- like an idea that falls flat because of unclever wording that seems to have been thrown together, while some of us are watching and thinking "why wouldn't you have just said Blah Blah Blah instead?"

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 4
On 4/19/2024 at 2:11 PM, proserpina65 said:

Interesting. I thought the point was that dogfood was being kept in a fridge with the rest of the (human) food, not that it's not dog food.

• Like 4
(edited)

I feel like the point (or a point) is that the food for the dog is made of the same quality of ingredients as would be used to make food for a human (or at least a reasonably health-conscious human) and out of fresh things that need to be refrigerated. as opposed to shoved into a cabinet or under a sink. But it's also playing around with the generally agreed-upon image of what the term "dog food" conjures: this is not little hard brown pebbles, so it's not "dog food [as a concept]" though it is "food for a dog."

And then, on top of that, it's trying to appeal to the "pet parent" who places their pet's needs on par with the needs of the humans in their lives (I'm not mocking that at all; I am super guilty of it and not sorry about it!). I think they may be trying to get too many themes (all valid, IMO) into one short little ad?

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 3
  • Applause 1
(edited)
On 2/10/2024 at 11:56 PM, Stella Rose said:

(question: why such a cruel message (the one that could not be quoted directly above this question))

On 2/21/2024 at 12:30 PM, Phebemarie said:

The Allegra commercial with the cranky young woman wearing headphones and singing is incredibly annoying.  Why is she so annoyed if she's taking Allegra and can breath in the spring?  It seems to be on rotation with the Jacuzzi bathtub replacement commercial with the uptalking HGTV flipper host.  🤮

(question: why the ideas of crankiness and annoyance in the "commercial " mentioned here)

Edited by Mario500

Mario500, have you seen the Allegra commercial?  Here is a link if you'd like to review it.

This thread is about commercials that irritate and annoy.  I find this commercial annoying.  I don't understand how singing with an angry look on one's face is supposed to make me interested in Allegra's allergy medicine.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

I've been watching Perry Mason reruns on the GAF network (Candace Cameron Bure's new home since she fled the heathen Hallmark network) & they're running Mike Lindell's commercial for his current pillow sale.  In addition to his other drawbacks, he SHOUTS the whole thing.  Highly annoying, on every level.

• Like 3
(edited)
12 hours ago, Phebemarie said:

Mario500, have you seen the Allegra commercial?  Here is a link if you'd like to review it.

This thread is about commercials that irritate and annoy.  I find this commercial annoying.  I don't understand how singing with an angry look on one's face is supposed to make me interested in Allegra's allergy medicine.

I think they think that's a rock and roll face.  The ad doesn't bother me because for most of it you can't hear her, unlike, say, Jardiance. And at least she's not Tik Tok dancing, which apparently everyone does all the time no matter where they are.

Edited by Tom Holmberg
  • Like 2
  • Applause 1
14 hours ago, Mario500 said:

(question: why such a cruel message (the one that could not be quoted directly above this question))

(question: why the ideas of crankiness and annoyance in the "commercial " mentioned here)

I'm not sure Mario500 understands why we're here. LOL

• Like 9
  • LOL 5
On 4/20/2024 at 1:35 AM, Yeah No said:

I know the Lume commercials have been discussed, but that Dr. Shannon grosses me out.  I don't need to see her point to her nasty bits and refer to them by their grossest names like "butt crack" and "under-boob".  And she seems to have convinced the easily convinced that they need to spend extra money on a special deodorant for places other than their armpits.  Supposedly there's science to back up its claims of preventing odor before it starts, but the reviews don't seem to be as great on that as I'd expect if it were really that great.  Personally I think if you smell that bad in other areas of your body maybe you just need to take a shower, LOL.  I don't get starting an obsession that's completely unnecessary unless it's just to make money off of people.  But I guess that's the point. 

The one person I know who has used Lume said it gave them a rash in an area where you really don't want a rash.

22 hours ago, Gharlane said:

Interesting. I thought the point was that dogfood was being kept in a fridge with the rest of the (human) food, not that it's not dog food.

No, I know some types of pet food should be refrigerated.  I'm fussy about where in the fridge my cat food goes after the can has been opened, but that's just my own bugaboo.  My objection to the commercials is that the dog owners in them insist that it isn't dog food when it is and then are asshats about it.  The discussion kind of got off the original track, and I'll own up to my part in that.

• Like 5
(edited)
16 hours ago, Phebemarie said:

"Mario500, have you seen the Allegra commercial?"

(answer: yes* (prior to message quoted here))

(*note: likes "commercial")

Edited by Mario500
On 4/19/2024 at 10:35 PM, Yeah No said:

I know the Lume commercials have been discussed, but that Dr. Shannon grosses me out.  I don't need to see her point to her nasty bits and refer to them by their grossest names like "butt crack" and "under-boob".

This cannot be said often enough.  I’ve never moved faster than my sprint from Anywhere to the remote, the better to mute this broad.

And you can’t swing a dead cat without another of those full-body deodorants showing up during ad breaks.  Why is this a thing now??

I predict these will appear in some future online video: “Ten Products from the 20s You Don’t See Anymore”.

Fingers crossed.

• Like 13
  • Fire 4
  • LOL 7

Another one of those "body odor" commercials that make me hit the mute so hard is the Secret one for some deodorant spray that is for the body. The tag line is it is great for your pits and your (woman pulls out her waist band and looks down it and smiles) unsaid "bits". OMG! Enough already!!

Also, it took me a couple of watchings to under stand what I was seeing in the Manscape commercial another in the "gross" family.  Several different men going around doing things with two small child sized men in front of them..."blah, blah. blah"...then at the end one of the men has two bald small men in front and that is when it shows Manscape....Yikes, I can't unsee the little "boy/balls" in front of the men.  Just soooo gross, I don't need that visual in my minds eye EVER!!

• Like 5
  • Fire 4
  • Applause 2
10 minutes ago, Gramto6 said:

Also, it took me a couple of watchings to under stand what I was seeing in the Manscape commercial another in the "gross" family. 

Me too! But I think it's because I mostly listen to the TV rather than watch, so the visual was lost.

I've seen a 3rd brand of whole-body deodorant, can't remember the name.

I can't find it, but there is a Lume commercial with the woman in a bathroom with towel wrapped around her head. She says something to the effect of "they" try to make us embarrassed about odors other than armpits. Exactly who is "they"? As far as I can tell, the only ones trying to makle us feel bad about BO are the deodorant companies!

• Like 6
  • Fire 3
  • Applause 3
1 hour ago, chessiegal said:

As far as I can tell, the only ones trying to makle us feel bad about BO are the deodorant companies!

Exactly.  That's what I hate the most about these commercials.

• Like 12
3 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Me too! But I think it's because I mostly listen to the TV rather than watch, so the visual was lost.

I've seen a 3rd brand of whole-body deodorant, can't remember the name.

I can't find it, but there is a Lume commercial with the woman in a bathroom with towel wrapped around her head. She says something to the effect of "they" try to make us embarrassed about odors other than armpits. Exactly who is "they"? As far as I can tell, the only ones trying to makle us feel bad about BO are the deodorant companies!

I've seen commercials for Lume, Secret, Dove, and Old Spice advertising whole body deodorant.    

• Like 4
  • Sad 1
12 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I've seen commercials for Lume, Secret, Dove, and Old Spice advertising whole body deodorant.    

Which means neither Proctor and Gamble nor Unilever were able to secure a deal to purchase Lume/Mando.  So now we get 3 different companies shilling similar products.  I'm sure there either is or will be a Dove for Men (TM) whole body deodorant as well.  

• Like 6
  • Useful 1
35 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

19 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Which means neither Proctor and Gamble nor Unilever were able to secure a deal to purchase Lume/Mando.  So now we get 3 different companies shilling similar products.  I'm sure there either is or will be a Dove for Men (TM) whole body deodorant as well.  

There’s also one by a company called Native who’s commercial with a woman who’s half some type of horse creature airs constantly on Hulu.  I can’t wait until these all go away. 

• Like 4
  • Mind Blown 1

just another in a whole category of things for people (not me) to obsess over, so that a product can be sold. Smelly butt cracks, those LINES in my forehead when I smile, whether the whites of my eyes are WHITE enough. Shesh.

• Like 8
20 minutes ago, partofme said:

There’s also one by a company called Native who’s commercial with a woman who’s half some type of horse creature airs constantly on Hulu.  I can’t wait until these all go away. 

Ew.  I have yet to see that one.  Native is not a brand of deodorant I would ever buy.  I will not do "natural" deodorants.  I live in the South and I glisten 6 months out of the year.  

• Like 7

Ugh, this almond milk commercial with the guy singing Simply Irresistible is annoying is so many ways. First, and least, I hate that song. Second, the guy is just annoying for no good reason I can think of (so that’s on me, I guess). But mostly it’s the kid who yells “Mom?!” like he’s tattling on his dad. I mean, I just said I don’t like that dad, but does he not have every right to sing and dance in his home if he feels like it? What is the mom going to do about it — and why would she want to do anything about it?

• Like 4
  • Fire 1
7 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Ew.  I have yet to see that one.  Native is not a brand of deodorant I would ever buy.  I will not do "natural" deodorants.  I live in the South and I glisten 6 months out of the year.  

I've seen it. She whinnies the name Native.  WHINNIES!!  "Na a a a a a tive"

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 3
8 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I have seen a paper coupon for the Dove for Men

• Like 2
9 hours ago, partofme said:

I've seen that one and it is so obnoxious.  Horsewoman has such a loud voice and the way she talks with her mouth nearly looking like she's having a stroke (all lopsided and crooked) is so annoying!

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I've seen it. She whinnies the name Native.  WHINNIES!!  "Na a a a a a tive"

Egads.  I must have muted it just in time to have missed that. She's one obnoxious broad.  Is she half horse because she doesn't want to smell like a horse?

• Love 1

A female Centaur makes no sense any way you look at it.

Dove has had "+MenCare" for quite a few years - My SIL turned me on to the soap. (The green one, not the orange) It's got such a lovely scent. I now use their (pit) deodorant, too.  I wouldn't doubt they'll soon have a full-body version.

• Like 3
15 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

Ugh, this almond milk commercial with the guy singing Simply Irresistible is annoying is so many ways. First, and least, I hate that song. Second, the guy is just annoying for no good reason I can think of (so that’s on me, I guess). But mostly it’s the kid who yells “Mom?!” like he’s tattling on his dad. I mean, I just said I don’t like that dad, but does he not have every right to sing and dance in his home if he feels like it? What is the mom going to do about it — and why would she want to do anything about it?

Doesn't help that the guy can't sing.

There's a commercial for Club Crackers.  These women are singing about cheese and crackers, then one woman launches into a loud obnoxious version.  I cannot mute the TV fast enough!

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
9 hours ago, Baltimore Betty said:

If there are no female Centaurs then how do they get more Centaurs?

From mythopedia.com:

Centaurs were originally all male. Female Centaurs, or “Centaurides,” were probably introduced no earlier than the fifth century BCE, and even then, they were regarded as novelties.[12] Female Centaurs did sometimes appear in later art and literature: Ovid, for instance, tells of a female Centaur named Hylonome, whom he may or may not have invented.[13]

• Useful 5
2 hours ago, millennium said:

Yeah, so, I want to fucking kill them.

The only thing I like about that is when she says, "I guess the odor went bye, bye, bye" and the Backstreet Boys jump in with "Nope, not us."  And the only reason I like that bit is because I never could (still can't!) remember which boy band was which and what songs they did.

• Like 12
  • Applause 1
13 hours ago, Kimboweena said:

There's a commercial for Club Crackers.  These women are singing about cheese and crackers, then one woman launches into a loud obnoxious version.  I cannot mute the TV fast enough!

So funny you posted that, I saw that commercial (AGAIN!!!) last night and decided it was time to start muting it, just so cringe I wonder if that actress will put it on her resume, lol.

• Like 2

There's a commercial for Clorox disinfectant with two kids making a game of throwing pieces of salami at a refrigerator door and seeing if they'll stick. I was raised primarily by my grandmother who lived through The Great Depression. She considered wasting food a crime right up there with murder or wearing white shoes after Labor Day. She would have slapped the snot out of us grandkids if we did something like that. 

• Like 7
  • Fire 1
  • LOL 5
(edited)

The Clorox commercial with the salami throwing makes me laugh. It reminds me of my stepdaughter when she had her first baby. She was bathing him in the tub and he pooped. She was horrified. She scooped out the baby, then the poop into the toilet, drained the tub, and proceeded to scrub (and scrub) the tub with Clorox. I'm surprised there was any Clorox left in the world when she was done! Yes, "stuff" happens. 😄

Edited by chessiegal
  • LOL 5
14 hours ago, millennium said:

Yeah, so, I want to fucking kill them.

How I wish she'd said, "Why?! Because I'm getting rid of that shirt since I've grown up and have expanded my musical tastes beyond my tween years (and you were never any good in the first place) and I wouldn't use that shirt to wipe my . .. car!  Oh, and I'm getting that hole in the wall plastered tomorrow so your poster's going straight into the paper shredder! "

Yeah, but then there'd be no commercial. Oh well. . .

• Like 3
  • Fire 1
  • LOL 7
On 4/20/2024 at 10:04 AM, Linderhill said:

this is my exact issue with these commercials.  I don't give a crap where they store their dog food but, yes, it is actually dog food no matter what they try to imply what it is.  It is food for the dog, therefore dog food.  

Exactly if you aren't a dog owner it would seem strange to put dog food in the fridge. Also that's a pretty shallow reason to cut ties with another person.

• Like 3
On 4/23/2024 at 2:07 AM, voiceover said:

This cannot be said often enough.  I’ve never moved faster than my sprint from Anywhere to the remote, the better to mute this broad.

And you can’t swing a dead cat without another of those full-body deodorants showing up during ad breaks.  Why is this a thing now??

I predict these will appear in some future online video: “Ten Products from the 20s You Don’t See Anymore”.

Fingers crossed.

Me too, fingers crossed that this trend passes quickly.  Yesterday my local TV news program had a spot where they asked a doctor if these new whole body deodorants were really necessary and he pretty much said "no" and it's really just a marketing ploy.  He did say that they do have ingredients in them that prevent odor in a different way from antiperspirants but he said they might cause other issues in some people because they tend to have strong fragrances that some people are sensitive to, and putting them on certain parts of the body might do more harm than good if people actually put them on their private parts, especially women.  He said that they are not formulated to be gentle to those areas, even the "butt crack" area.

• Like 9
5 hours ago, kathyk2 said:

Exactly if you aren't a dog owner it would seem strange to put dog food in the fridge. Also that's a pretty shallow reason to cut ties with another person.

I consider that commercial to be more tongue-in-cheek than serious so I don't see any of that as actually ever happening.  It just makes pet owners chuckle because they may see a little of themselves in it even though they never would really act that way and no one would ever really confront them about putting dog food in the fridge.  Even if someone thought it was strange they probably wouldn't say it to the person's face.  

I don't think it's strange to have refrigerated dog food.  It's higher end food so of course it's going to be made of better ingredients and fresh is usually better than canned or dry food in general so it's just a function of that.  If someone has the money to spend on it, why not?  Traditional dog food, no matter how the companies push it is often not as good as fresh would be.  At least in general.  I don't see it as an excessive thing.  I've known people whose vets have told them to put their dogs on special diets and have ended up actually cooking the food themselves and freezing it in big batches in small containers just for that purpose.  The health and well being of one's pet is important to them and I can see how someone scoffing at that would irritate a pet owner.

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Yeah No said:

The next thing will probably be deodorants for other people's bodies, so if someone's aroma offends you, you can spray them discreetly from a distance.

• Applause 1
  • LOL 13
6 hours ago, Yeah No said:

He did say that they do have ingredients in them that prevent odor in a different way from antiperspirants but he said they might cause other issues in some people because they tend to have strong fragrances that some people are sensitive to, and putting them on certain parts of the body might do more harm than good if people actually put them on their private parts, especially women.

There is an issue with antibacterial soaps that would be the same with these deodorants, antibacterial soaps may contribute to a rise of antibiotic-resistant strains of bacteria that can be dangerous.

• Like 7
  • Useful 1