Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

• Start Topic

Most of the ads you're all describing I haven't seen (except for ASPCA, the awful woman yelling questions about Medicare, and Homegoods' dancing in the street). I keep the mute button close at hand and *use it*. I've already complained about the all too numerous dancing in the street ads that annoy me. It isn't even good dancing. Oh, and I saw the article in the Washington Post about whatsername who sashays around the scenery and then dances, in the street, with other folks. Does the ad industry still give out Clio awards?  I wonder if they give an award these days for most annoying.

• Like 9
3 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

I know this is an old one but why if you have some how managed to get 8 UTIs wouldn't you being trying to figure out why you're getting so many and stop that. Instead of creating a product for future ones.

I say something to myself every time I see that annoying commercial, usually along the line of, "that Spencer's hygiene needs to be evaluated".  And the sound of her nasally, twee voice sets my teeth on edge.

• Like 7
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 3
1 hour ago, littlebennysmom said:

I say something to myself every time I see that annoying commercial, usually along the line of, "that Spencer's hygiene needs to be evaluated".  And the sound of her nasally, twee voice sets my teeth on edge.

I think we all know Spencer's dirty dick is the cause.  Maybe he keeps rubbing lume on his junk rather than showering?

• LOL 20
10 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

I know this is an old one but why if you have some how managed to get 8 UTIs wouldn't you being trying to figure out why you're getting so many and stop that. Instead of creating a product for future ones.

especially, since as far as I can tell, this is not a substitute for going to the doctor and getting an antibiotic? Maybe.... it's somewhat effective as a preventative (like those of us who swear by cranberry pills) but IANAD and don't pretend to be. 

10 hours ago, ebk57 said:

Stephen Sondheim dissects the Jardiance jingle

that's very good!

• Like 5

Is it weird to dislike the Jardiance lady but also feel bad for her -- the actress, I mean? I am envisioning her feeling accomplished and proud for landing a decent, mass-market kind of gig (perhaps after nothing but few and far between late-night infomercials that made her question whether she needed to reevaluate her career path). Then, she does an arguably OK job with the nonsense that was expected of her. And then -- perhaps inexplicably, perhaps perfectly understandably -- instead of just tuning out the commercial...

a nation decides to collectively despise her! 

(Though, maybe this ^ whole scenario will inspire a Lifetime movie detailing her plight and she's back on top!)

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 5
  • LOL 9
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

Is it weird to dislike the Jardiance lady but also feel bad for her -- the actress, I mean? I am envisioning her feeling accomplished and proud for landing a decent, mass-market kind of gig (perhaps after nothing but few and far between late-night infomercials that made her question whether she needed to reevaluate her career path). Then, she does an arguably OK job with the nonsense that was expected of her. And then -- perhaps inexplicably, perhaps perfectly understandably -- instead of just tuning out the commercial...

(Though, maybe this ^ whole scenario will inspire a Lifetime movie detailing her plight and she's back on top!)

No, she really does try to do a good job with what she has.  Hopefully she lands a better commerical or role. 

• Like 5

I don't despise her. She's earning good money (like the Liberty & Progressive actors). It's these mini-movies that pharmaceutical companies pay *millions* to produce, that go on & on forever, every day/night. And, of course, all the unappealingly choreographed dancing in the street is the frosting on this PITA ad industry cake. OK...I'm done 🥴 

• Like 6
  • Love 3

In the King Soopers commercial where the dad asks his phone how much he spent on groceries that month. Is the six hundred (or close to it) for his family and his son's friends? If so, where is he shopping that he's only spending that much for all those people. It's just me and my dad and we're wish we're spending more then that a month. We have a cat but he only really needs his Temptation treats we buy a really big bag of cat food and kitty litter that lasts us months.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
6 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

Did you read the Washington Post article (the gift link that was posted has expired, so you'll only be able to read that if you're a subscriber) about her that was posted here recently?  She's a fairly wild mix of contradictions -- some things she says are great, some are even more annoying than the commercial.  So, yeah, go ahead and feel both!

• Like 10

I saw it as she's an actress doing the best she can with this ridiculous commercial.  I still want to know what the big story is that little pill has to tell!  I actually like her clothing in the commercials and dislike her acting in the non-singing and dancing sequences (seems really OTT) while thinking she does a good job with that terrible dance number. 

I didn't have feelings one way or the other about the actress as a person until I read an article about her.  Then, um, yeah, not liking her so much. And as I type this there she is on my screen telling me that Jardiance is really swell yet still not saying what the big story is. 

On the plus side, at least by adding the scenes of clothing change and makeup, they are not trying to claim dozens of people spontaneously started singing about Jardiance. 

• Like 6

People who get five million dollars after being HIT BY A TRUCK don't look anywhere near as good as you, honey.

And construction guy in the safety vest who got 65 TIMES MORE THAN INSURANCE WAS WILLING TO PAY?  In real life, people who get that kind of payout are so traumatically injured that they are never able to work again. 

Edited by millennium
  • Like 8
  • Sad 1
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
18 hours ago, millennium said:

And construction guy in the safety vest who got 65 TIMES MORE THAN INSURANCE WAS WILLING TO PAY?  In real life, people who get that kind of payout are so traumatically injured that they are never able to work again

I agree that 65 times more is high.  But it does depend a bit on what the initial offer was.  The day after my husband was rear-ended on the freeway, smushing his SUV badly enough that he had to be cut out of it, the other guy's insurance called and offered us something like $1000.  Total.  When we were going to need to replace the SUV, and we had no idea what his medical bills were going to be yet.  We ended up settling for his bills being paid, the SUV replaced and something like $25,000 to us/our lawyer.  Thank God he wasn't seriously injured.

• Like 3
  • Hugs 4

My problem with the Jardiance ad is that the jeans and blouse are two sizes too small.  It emphasizes her size, but at least she looks decent in the dress.

Someone please explain to me the ad where the idiot guy makes the waiter shred pounds of cheese all over himself until he says “when”.  What the hell is this supposed to mean? 

And then the Raisin Brand as where the announcer says “you sock rolling son of a b……”. Why insult someone during a cereal commercial?  

• Like 6
On 11/13/2023 at 6:07 PM, millennium said:

People who get five million dollars after being HIT BY A TRUCK don't look anywhere near as good as you, honey.

And construction guy in the safety vest who got 65 TIMES MORE THAN INSURANCE WAS WILLING TO PAY?  In real life, people who get that kind of payout are so traumatically injured that they are never able to work again. 

I was on a jury in a malpractice suit. The doctor admitted his guilt so our only job was to determine how much the defendant should get.  The defendant was asking for several millions of dollars and the doctor's insurance company was offering $100,000.  So that discrepancy isn't unusual, I think.

• Like 3
18 hours ago, KLovestoShop said:

My problem with the Jardiance ad is that the jeans and blouse are two sizes too small.  It emphasizes her size, but at least she looks decent in the dress.

Someone please explain to me the ad where the idiot guy makes the waiter shred pounds of cheese all over himself until he says “when”.  What the hell is this supposed to mean? 

And then the Raisin Brand as where the announcer says “you sock rolling son of a b……”. Why insult someone during a cereal commercial?  

I actually think that's hilarious.

• Like 2
On 11/13/2023 at 7:07 PM, millennium said:

I HATE (HATE!) the numerous commercials for trip and fall lawyer Morgan & Morgan I keep seeing! His newer ones have "size matters" as the tagline and all the single entrendres you imagine it would have. 

• Like 4
On 11/14/2023 at 6:42 PM, KLovestoShop said:

My problem with the Jardiance ad is that the jeans and blouse are two sizes too small.

That doesn't help, but her 'limply-flapping arms while shuffling her feet' dancing is the part that bugs me. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1

So I saw a Skims commercial last night with what looked like one of the Kardashians. Laying on her side wearing a bra and skimpy panties that are the exact same color as her skin. She says that she never used to wear undergarments until she found Skims. Really? That is just nasty! All you ladies out there know you have to at least wear panties am I right? Anyway you get the picture. Maybe guys can get away with going commando but not women. 

• Like 4
  • Applause 2
13 hours ago, Gharlane said:

I HATE (HATE!) the numerous commercials for trip and fall lawyer Morgan & Morgan I keep seeing! His newer ones have "size matters" as the tagline and all the single entrendres you imagine it would have. 

I cannot stand Ms. More who seems to be the new star of the Morgan & Morgan ads.  I don't think it's cute or funny when she demands more of everything.  

1 hour ago, sempervivum said:

That doesn't help, but her 'limply-flapping arms while shuffling her feet' dancing is the part that bugs me. 

I'm always trying to figure out if the dancing is supposedly be intentionally bad or do they think that's Broadway style in keeping with the rest of the commercial's theme...

Another pet peeve on that commercial is they show her getting her hair blown out and when she dances in the yellow dress, her hair looks exactly  the same. Exactly.

• Like 6
  • LOL 2
On 11/12/2023 at 2:33 PM, annzeepark914 said:

I don't despise her. She's earning good money (like the Liberty & Progressive actors). It's these mini-movies that pharmaceutical companies pay *millions* to produce, that go on & on forever, every day/night. And, of course, all the unappealingly choreographed dancing in the street is the frosting on this PITA ad industry cake. OK...I'm done 🥴 

After reading the article, I actively dislike her.

On 11/15/2023 at 9:09 AM, Tom Holmberg said:

I was on a jury in a malpractice suit. The doctor admitted his guilt so our only job was to determine how much the defendant should get.  The defendant was asking for several millions of dollars and the doctor's insurance company was offering $100,000.  So that discrepancy isn't unusual, I think.

I work in the court system.  That discrepancy IS unusual for all but the worst cases.  I've only ever once seen a civil lawsuit with anything approaching that kind of money as the award.

• Like 5
  • Useful 4
12 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I work in the court system.  That discrepancy IS unusual for all but the worst cases.  I've only ever once seen a civil lawsuit with anything approaching that kind of money as the award.

We didn't give the person millions of dollars, but we didn't give them the $100,000 either.  It was very difficult trying to come up with an amount, as we were given no guidelines for making the decision.  I'd rather determine guilt or innocence, than do this figuring out compensation. We were all at a loss.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1
1 hour ago, kacesq said:

I cannot stand Ms. More who seems to be the new star of the Morgan & Morgan ads.  I don't think it's cute or funny when she demands more of everything.  

I don't think I've seen those yet, but I guess my luck is about to change now.

• LOL 1
On 11/14/2023 at 4:42 PM, KLovestoShop said:

The first is a take on if you are putting cheese or pepper or pouring wine for someone asking them to, "Say when" as in when to stop shredding, grinding or pouring.  The joke is responding, "When" rather than thank you or that's great or something similar. I haven't seen the commercial, but, while I like cheese, I don't want a mountain on my plate.  

I like the sock rolling son of a b . . . commercial.  I enjoy the very well packed suitcase (winning!) and the announcer's tone.  He knows artful packing when he sees it. 😁 While SOB is normally an insult, it can also be used, based on tone, as a positive.   

• Like 2
17 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Yeah, before reading the article I might have defended her, saying she looks like a nice person - nice smile and thanking people.  But she doesn't come across as so nice in the article.

• Like 11
  • Useful 1
On 11/14/2023 at 7:42 PM, KLovestoShop said:

In fancy restaurants (or Olive Garden), the waiter will offer to put some shredded cheese (sometimes fresh ground pepper) on your food until told to stop. There's a common joke about seeing if he'll keep doing it if you say nothing.

• Like 2
On 11/11/2023 at 4:39 PM, ebk57 said:

I can't help myself.   From McSweeney's:

Stephen Sondheim dissects the Jardiance jingle

This is amazing!

On 11/12/2023 at 1:30 PM, andromeda331 said:

No, she really does try to do a good job with what she has.  Hopefully she lands a better commerical or role. 

No, she doesn’t.  She sucks.  She can’t dance and she’s a terrible actor.  Trying to act like an actor is apparently difficult for her.

I hope she never gets another job again so I don’t ever have to see her stupid face.

On 11/14/2023 at 6:42 PM, KLovestoShop said:

I mean they presumably spent money on the state, props, etc. but they couldn’t get her decent fitting clothes?  She looks ridiculous.

I can’t read the WP article, is it possible to gift again?

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
On 11/17/2023 at 8:53 PM, ebk57 said:

Awesome!  Thank you!!!!

Ok I have questions/comments.. 

she woke at 4 a.m. to dance and sing about lowering your A1C for 12 to 15 hours straight for about a week as they nailed down the choreography

Her kicking her floppy feet around awkwardly took 12-15 hours a day for a week?? 

I feel like J.Lo.

Oh good lord.

Oh and she thinks broadway is next.  She can’t dance!

How did she become friends with Perez Hilton?  Perez Hilton still exists?

her seven rescue dogs

Ok now I can’t hate her.  

warns of the risk of a perineum infection

I see and hear this warning on so many Rx commercials.  Whyyyyy is this apparently an issue with so many medications that I would imagine have nothing to do with your nether-regions???!!

Edited by heatherchandler
  • Like 4
  • LOL 5
On 11/11/2023 at 8:16 AM, PrincessPurrsALot said:

I am fairly certain they just put Lume into different packaging so it will appeal to the men folk.  Since an OB/GYN created Lume, as we've been told over and over again, while we get a view of her so close that we can count her pores, men may see it as a women's product.  Of course the gendering of products is silly; man-sized kleenex anyone?  

I guess we can be thankful that the doc hasn't demonstrated how to use lume/mondo on your balls.  I don't need her discussing taint stench.

I just have to decide between a "mind blown" or maybe a "flame", even though I don't really understand what that means, just because whenever I have the misfortune to glance up at this (muted) woman, all I can think is who the hell buys this stuff?  Who is so sad and lonely and desperate that this woman can convince them they'll (presumably) be suddenly sexually attractive and smell wonderful if they use Lumé on their lady bits or butt cracks or ball sacks or whatever?  So my mind is blown.  And there you have it.

Edited by Ancaster
  • Like 10
1 hour ago, Ancaster said:

I just have to decide between a "mind blown" or maybe a "flame", even though I don't really understand what that means, just because whenever I have the misfortune to glance up at this (muted) woman, all I can think is who the hell buys this stuff? 

This site doesn't offer negative reaction icons, other than sad (which is still a neutral when it comes to awarding reputation points) -- while the Mind Blown icon looks angry as all get out, it's supposed to mean "Awesome/Amazing/Astounding" and while the Flame icon brings to mind "Flames on the side of my face" angry at something, it's supposed to mean "Fire (aka 'That's fire/on fire')", which is apparently a compliment these days.  The key is here, but no one will ever convince me the Mind Blown emoji evokes anything positive.

• Like 4
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 3
On 11/14/2023 at 10:46 AM, lh25 said:

I agree that 65 times more is high.  But it does depend a bit on what the initial offer was.  The day after my husband was rear-ended on the freeway, smushing his SUV badly enough that he had to be cut out of it, the other guy's insurance called and offered us something like $1000.  Total.  When we were going to need to replace the SUV, and we had no idea what his medical bills were going to be yet.  We ended up settling for his bills being paid, the SUV replaced and something like $25,000 to us/our lawyer.  Thank God he wasn't seriously injured.

$1000!   That's criminal.  Thank god you didn't accept it.  And yes, thank god your husband wasn't seriously injured.

25 minutes ago, Bastet said:

This site doesn't offer negative reaction icons, other than sad (which is still a neutral when it comes to awarding reputation points) -- while the Mind Blown icon looks angry as all get out, it's supposed to mean "Awesome/Amazing/Astounding" and while the Flame icon brings to mind "Flames on the side of my face" angry at something, it's supposed to mean "Fire (aka 'That's fire/on fire')", which is apparently a compliment these days.  The key is here, but no one will ever convince me the Mind Blown emoji evokes anything positive.

Hmm, I use Mind Blown for both Wow Amazing and Are You Fucking Kidding Me?

And sometimes I really wonder at the amount of time I spend ruminating about how to respond to random strangers' comments.

• Like 4
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 8
On 11/16/2023 at 10:14 AM, margol29 said:

So I saw a Skims commercial last night with what looked like one of the Kardashians. Laying on her side wearing a bra and skimpy panties that are the exact same color as her skin. She says that she never used to wear undergarments until she found Skims. Really? That is just nasty! All you ladies out there know you have to at least wear panties am I right? Anyway you get the picture. Maybe guys can get away with going commando but not women. 

Ignorant of the Kardashian connection, I once bought a pair of very expensive Skims because I thought they would be good for doing yoga and also for avoiding VPL (Visible Panty Line for those who don't suffer or care).  It was a fail on both counts.  Fortunately, I'd bought them at Nordstrom, which graciously accepted my (laundered) return.  🙂

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 2

The mind blown icon to me means OMG, are you serious?  And I use the fire as a good thing.

For topic, there's a radio commercial for Babbel that makes me crazy.  It's the one where the woman says they haven't travelled in years.  The way she says "years" grates on my last nerve.

• Like 4

For topic, there's a radio commercial for Babbel that makes me crazy.  It's the one where the woman says they haven't travelled in years.  The way she says "years" grates on my last nerve.

OMG, yes. And she's so impressed with her masterful command of the phrase como te llamas

• Like 2
  • LOL 4
18 hours ago, mmecorday said:

OMG, yes. And she's so impressed with her masterful command of the phrase como te llamas

It annoys me that she's repeating questions yet doesn't use the inflection of a question.

• Like 4

The Old Country Buffet commercial where they talk about time travel. The dude has a plateful of turkey, ham and roast beef with sides piled on it and he wants to go back 20 minutes in time. So wouldn't he still be on the freeway driving to OCB 20 minutes ago? I mean he hasn't touched his plate.

• Like 1
  • LOL 7
10 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

The Old Country Buffet commercial where they talk about time travel. The dude has a plateful of turkey, ham and roast beef with sides piled on it and he wants to go back 20 minutes in time. So wouldn't he still be on the freeway driving to OCB 20 minutes ago? I mean he hasn't touched his plate.

20 minutes ago, he was eating the food on hie FIRST plate.  LOL

• LOL 11

I have a new one I haven't seen mentioned.  It's one of those Medicare ones, this is the "DYI Duo".  They show scenes of the couple figuring out how to do things on their own, for parenting the mom is using a power saw to cut the head off of a teddy bear in front of the young kids to "teach them to share".  Then it has the couple talking about how nice the agent that helped them was, wondering if she is married and how a friend of theirs would really like her.  It end with them calling the agent.  

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/5yo7/medicare-coverage-helpline-do-it-yourself-duo

• Mind Blown 4

I keep seeing a Verizon commercial that I'm not sure I understand. It's a bunch of carolers at the front door. Apparently the husband paid them to influence the wife to buy him a new iphone, I think???? But she says Verizon is a much better deal.

So I *guess* you get the new iphone through a Verizon trade in?

It's just not really easy to understand. Give your message in words, not high singing voices!

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, dleighg said:

I keep seeing a Verizon commercial that I'm not sure I understand. It's a bunch of carolers at the front door. Apparently the husband paid them to influence the wife to buy him a new iphone, I think???? But she says Verizon is a much better deal.

So I *guess* you get the new iphone through a Verizon trade in?

It's just not really easy to understand. Give your message in words, not high singing voices!

I think that is the gist of the commercial. I'm always too distracted by the woman's tiny shirt tuck above the button on her jeans to notice anything else. Usually these days you see a half shirt tuck, but this version has me saying why?

• Like 3
On 11/19/2023 at 1:58 AM, Ancaster said:

I just have to decide between a "mind blown" or maybe a "flame", even though I don't really understand what that means, just because whenever I have the misfortune to glance up at this (muted) woman, all I can think is who the hell buys this stuff?  Who is so sad and lonely and desperate that this woman can convince them they'll (presumably) be suddenly sexually attractive and smell wonderful if they use Lumé on their lady bits or butt cracks or ball sacks or whatever?  So my mind is blown.  And there you have it.

I will defend lume here (ducks) because I think I know who it’s for.. I’ve never bought it and don’t plan to, but I sometimes go out to dinner or drinks after work, so I shower in the morning of course, then want to make sure I don’t smell after a day of work.  I usually just put on more deodorant and perfume.

This may work better than putting on more deodorant.  I could see some people who would be doing the same thing, going out after work, and maybe they put it in the butt, etc.. I don’t know about all of that, I would think it would be a good alternative to another shower?

• Useful 1

I also don't identify with the confusion about Lume and its 48 hours of effectiveness or the "just take a shower" suggestions. Obviously, most people are aware they should bathe and are not likely actively trying to find a way to avoid doing so. But some people through no fault of their own have more intense sweat or smells or whatever -- and probably can't take a shower every time they suspect a...flare-up(?). Not to mention that people do get into situations where they may need to go longer than and day without a shower or have events where they want to be extra covered -- for example, I am not a super sweaty person and I use natural deodorant but if I have, say, a summer outdoor event, maybe I will use a stronger one just for peace of mind, haha!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 5
  • Useful 3
On 11/22/2023 at 10:32 AM, heatherchandler said:

I will defend lume here (ducks) because I think I know who it’s for.. I’ve never bought it and don’t plan to, but I sometimes go out to dinner or drinks after work, so I shower in the morning of course, then want to make sure I don’t smell after a day of work.  I usually just put on more deodorant and perfume.

This may work better than putting on more deodorant.  I could see some people who would be doing the same thing, going out after work, and maybe they put it in the butt, etc.. I don’t know about all of that, I would think it would be a good alternative to another shower?

I think a lot of the hatred for the Lumé ads is the (literal) in-your-facedness of the woman shilling her product and her glee at talking about butts and packages.  I also think that if I had an issue with excess body odour, I'd be carrying some type of wet wipes and not trying to mask the nastiness, which probably frankly just adds to the unpleasantness.

• Like 12
51 minutes ago, Ancaster said:

I think a lot of the hatred for the Lumé ads is the (literal) in-your-facedness of the woman shilling her product and her glee at talking about butts and packages.  I also think that if I had an issue with excess body odour, I'd be carrying some type of wet wipes and not trying to mask the nastiness, which probably frankly just adds to the unpleasantness.

She points to each body part as she lists them. Why? We know where they are.

• Like 11
  • Applause 1
14 hours ago, chessiegal said:

The point of Lume is that it prevents odor from happening by getting rid of the bacteria that cause the odor. It doesn't "mask" it.

In which case, washing those butt cracks more frequently than every 72 hours may be more effective.  Just sayin'.

And for anyone who is about ready to stuff their in-laws into the trash compactor this fine day-after-Thanksgiving, just plop them in front of one of the extended versions.  It will keep them off the subject of your bad parenting skills and why their method of roasting a turkey is so vastly superior to yours.

https://www.google.com/search?q=lume+commercial&oq=lume+commer&gs_lcrp=EgZjaHJvbWUqBwgBEAAYgAQyBggAEEUYOTIHCAEQABiABDIHCAIQABiABDIHCAMQLhiABDIHCAQQABiABDIHCAUQABiABDIHCAYQABiABDIHCAcQABiABDIHCAgQABiABDIHCAkQABiABNIBCjI2NDI4ajBqMTWoAgCwAgA&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:d7a6e468,vid:yw7cgxPQVSU,st:0

Edited by Ancaster
Because ofs and ones were confusing themselves.
  • Wink 2
  • LOL 4