Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

• Start Topic

On 5/22/2022 at 4:38 PM, marceline said:

There seems to be a whole new round of Lume commercials out this week.

I guess Shannon Klingman needs money.

Gross, gross, gross, gross, gross!

Idiot first says someone has made women worried about odors that don't exist, then turns around and says we need deodorant for those parts.

The whole thing is cringe worthy.

• Mind Blown 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 10

^reminds me of the Azo ad I keep seeing. Female customer checking out, buying three different Azo products, I forget what the first one is for, the second is for "vaginal balance," and the last one is (hand half over her mouth) "odor control." The cashier asks "feminine hygiene aisle"? And the customer gives this smile and nod like she just got tickled. 

• Fire 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
On 6/4/2022 at 10:35 AM, KLovestoShop said:

I wish I had the ability to crawl through my TV to smack the crap out of people who do irritating commercials.  Right now I want to smack that idiot woman for JC Penney’s.  I don’t need her screaming at me that “shopping is back, baby”.   

"Gimme, Gimme all the dresses!", um, ok, you can have them, they look hideous!  Also, she's getting her hair done at Penney's???  Really?  I didn't think anyone had done that since the 1970's.  Then "shopping is back!" lady puts on her red Sally Jessie Raphael glasses and dorkily poses.  Everything in this commercial screams that Penney's is forever trapped in the 80's or early 90's. 

We have a couple JCP around here, but every time I've passed thru them, they're like a ghost town.  No customers, no staff, just muzak and the squeaking of the 40 year old escalator, and they smell like a room that hasn't been aired out since the Nixon administration. 

• Sad 3
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 6
(edited)
On 6/12/2022 at 3:17 AM, HighMaintenance said:

We have a couple JCP around here, but every time I've passed thru them, they're like a ghost town.  No customers, no staff, just muzak and the squeaking of the 40 year old escalator, and they smell like a room that hasn't been aired out since the Nixon administration. 

Same thing with the JCP in the shopping mall near me.  I walk in from time to time and all I see are loads of crap that nobody's buying.  It's sad.  

Edited by Crashcourse
  • LOL 1
58 minutes ago, Crashcourse said:

Same thing with the PCP in the shopping mall near me.  I walk in from time to time and all I see are loads of crap that nobody's buying.  It's sad.  

I've bought my fair share of crap from JCP. I don't need any more.

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
On 6/10/2022 at 4:46 PM, Crashcourse said:

She looks like she's being held hostage and her captors made her read the Lume speech. 

I've noticed that a lot of these TV hucksters are still making their ads like we're still in the first stages of COVID. I assume because it's just cheaper so they don't want to return to previous production methods.

Personally I hate it because I already spend enough time looking at phone and Zoom screens. Seeing that format in commercials makes me tired. *waves to HungryRoot*

• Wink 1
  • Love 6
8 minutes ago, marceline said:

I've noticed that a lot of these TV hucksters are still making their ads like we're still in the first stages of COVID. I assume because it's just cheaper so they don't want to return to previous production methods.

Personally I hate it because I already spend enough time looking at phone and Zoom screens. Seeing that format in commercials makes me tired. *waves to HungryRoot*

Preach!

• Love 2
On 6/11/2022 at 5:42 AM, dleighg said:

^reminds me of the Azo ad I keep seeing. Female customer checking out, buying three different Azo products, I forget what the first one is for, the second is for "vaginal balance," and the last one is (hand half over her mouth) "odor control." The cashier asks "feminine hygiene aisle"? And the customer gives this smile and nod like she just got tickled. 

Not to mention that customer's "hairstyle"....looks kind of like she just got up. 

• Love 1
On 6/4/2022 at 10:35 AM, KLovestoShop said:

I wish I had the ability to crawl through my TV to smack the crap out of people who do irritating commercials.  Right now I want to smack that idiot woman for JC Penney’s.  I don’t need her screaming at me that “shopping is back, baby”.   

On 6/7/2022 at 1:20 PM, proserpina65 said:

Isn't that Melissa Villasenor from Saturday Night Live? 

It is. I like her and I'm glad she's got a national commercial. I remember hearing from an actor on a podcast that his national commercial for Old Spice paid him $7k in royalties. And that was 10 years ago.

Penney's is close to my heart. It was one of the few stores that sold clothing for tall women/girls. I was 5' 10" by the ninth grade back in '84-'85. The Penney's catalog was a lifeline for me and every other tall girl/woman who just wanted pants that reached to our ankles.

I kind of like the commercial. Clearly "Shopping is back, baby!" was the line she was paid to deliver and she did.

• Like 1
  • Love 6
48 minutes ago, MaryPatShelby said:

Not to mention that customer's "hairstyle"....looks kind of like she just got up. 

Perhaps she should wander out of the "feminine Hygiene Aisle" and get to the hair care aisle.  Also, the fact the cashier asks "feminine hygiene aisle?" like she doesn't know her own store... no, honey, I got this in the aisle next to the kids toys and D batteries.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
On 6/11/2022 at 4:02 PM, Crashcourse said:

There's a Coolsculpting commercial where the woman says she started noticing a little "puch."  Does she mean "pouch"?

She might be saying "pooch." I've heard the tummy roll below the belt called a "pooch." Either way, I'd like to give her a potch in the face. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3
On 6/10/2022 at 3:57 PM, millennium said:

The commercial for Lume private parts deodorant, featuring Dr. Shannon Klingman founder and CEO in a claustrophobic frame that leads me to believe she's broadcasting from inside a cardboard box and I think well maybe if you didn't spend your days in a cardboard box your private parts wouldn't smell.  Just saying.

Does anyone think, like me, who in everyday normal life needs a deodorant that will work for 72 hours? Can't they take a shower and use regular deodorant? There are a thousand thoughts along this line that come into my mind. Ok, there is camping, which I would never do. Being deployed. Having a condition where you stink without doing anything. 

This Lume stuff is expensive.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 3
On 6/11/2022 at 1:02 PM, iMonrey said:

Oh, Prince Caspian. Why are you doing a commercial for T-Mobile? How far you have fallen. 😪

It is amusing, though, when he says we should trust him because he's a British actor.  But I know how you feel.  I'd say the same about the Idris Elba Booking.Com commercials if they weren't also amusing.

But hey, maybe he has a new house to pay for or something.

• Like 1
  • Love 4

Oh, Prince Caspian. Why are you doing a commercial for T-Mobile? How far you have fallen. 😪

2 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

It is amusing, though, when he says we should trust him because he's a British actor.  But I know how you feel.  I'd say the same about the Idris Elba Booking.Com commercials if they weren't also amusing.

But hey, maybe he has a new house to pay for or something.

I want to say that doing commercials is not seen as a step down in the UK the way it is in America.  Over there, doing a 30 second spot for whatever Fortune 500 company is the equivalent of an American stage actor doing a guest spot on Law & Order.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
On 6/12/2022 at 7:29 PM, HighMaintenance said:

Perhaps she should wander out of the "feminine Hygiene Aisle" and get to the hair care aisle.  Also, the fact the cashier asks "feminine hygiene aisle?" like she doesn't know her own store... no, honey, I got this in the aisle next to the kids toys and D batteries.

Yea, I doubt that the drugstore sells the kind of women's toys that take D batteries....

OK, OK, I'm going,  you don't have to shove!!😄😉

• LOL 10

I like Ben Barnes and think it's funny he says to trust him because he's a British actor, but I've only seen him in things where he's the villain.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
On 6/13/2022 at 4:37 PM, Ohiopirate02 said:

I want to say that doing commercials is not seen as a step down in the UK the way it is in America.  Over there, doing a 30 second spot for whatever Fortune 500 company is the equivalent of an American stage actor doing a guest spot on Law & Order.  

Oh, I absolutely agree.  Hell, British actors rarely look down on any role.  And they do take some jobs just for the money.  (Michael Caine is quite famous for saying that he's never seen Jaws: the Revenge, although he's heard it's terrible, but he has seen the house it bought him and it's terrific.)

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
31 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

Oh, I absolutely agree.  Hell, British actors rarely look down on any role.  And they do take some jobs just for the money.  (Michael Caine is quite famous for saying that he's never seen Jaws: the Revenge, although he's heard it's terrible, but he has seen the house it bought him and it's terrific.)

I always felt British actors, despite thinking of acting as an art, also view it as a job.

• Like 3
  • Love 4
On 4/24/2022 at 1:16 PM, dleighg said:

Morgan Stanley are apparently now the "owners" of the eTrade baby. And "he's back" as I see the ad with the helicopter about 300 times per day.

Is the eTrade baby going to DO anything? What is the point of having him "back" if he's not doing anything?

Ugh, I hated the eTrade Baby the first time and had totally forgotten about it until I saw the commercial with it coming out of retirement. Luckily, I have to see any followups to this commercial.

• Love 3
(edited)
On 6/12/2022 at 12:12 PM, Crashcourse said:

Same thing with the JCP in the shopping mall near me.  I walk in from time to time and all I see are loads of crap that nobody's buying.  It's sad.  

I thought JCP was closed permanently years ago. I learn a lot on the PT forums.

So hers is my rant. The Dupixa commercial with the women's track coach. She's following behind her athletes. She's wearing BOOTS .WTF? 

I've seen this commercial 3x plus and yes, she's wearing boots. 

Edited by chenoa333
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Love 2

The Babbel commercial where the young woman walks into the Mexican restaurant and struggles a bit ordering in Spanish. The annoyed and insulted looks she gets from the other patrons makes me angry. Why are they giving her dirty looks?  

• Applause 1
  • Love 4

There are two commercial, maybe a third I can't remember.  Anyway, they are for ZocDoc and Meta. They both have this sing-song, chanting cadence that just have me lunging  for the mute button every time!

• Applause 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
(edited)
6 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

The sort of consumer that would purchase Nugenix probably has never heard of eugenics.

There are still some of us around who know what that meant. An ugly term.

Edited by nokat
  • Love 5
9 hours ago, Leeds said:

Am I the only one who is appalled by an ad agency thinking a product rhyming with eugenics (Nugenix) is acceptable?

I'm not sure an ad agency gets to name a product and until you mentioned it the thought that the 2 were related in any way or even close to connected no matter how thinly had never even crossed my mind. And yes I do know what eugenics is.

• Love 6
(edited)
1 hour ago, Welshman in Ca said:

I'm not sure an ad agency gets to name a product 

Sorry, you're right of course - typing without thinking!

Edited by Leeds
  • Love 1
On 6/18/2022 at 8:50 PM, Rabithed said:

The Babbel commercial where the young woman walks into the Mexican restaurant and struggles a bit ordering in Spanish. The annoyed and insulted looks she gets from the other patrons makes me angry. Why are they giving her dirty looks?  

Maybe they're in Mexico? I've seen enough Americans giving tourists here the stink eye for struggling with English.

• Sad 2
On 6/13/2022 at 6:54 AM, Haleth said:

I saw the commercial yesterday and she definitely says "pudge."

I saw it for the first time yesterday.  You're right --- she absolutely says "pudge." What the ?????

• Love 2
On 6/13/2022 at 6:56 AM, TVMovieBuff said:

Having a condition where you stink without doing anything

THAT is some awesome snark!😂

And please no more of the commercial for Alexa with 2 older folks slow (REALLY slow) dancing to I only Have Eyes For You. Stupid earworm song. 

• Like 1
  • Love 3