Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

• Start Topic

On 3/24/2022 at 12:17 PM, proserpina65 said:

I don't care who is calling her a neuroscientist or whether she is herself, and I'm fine with people saying she is because she has the degree.  It's certainly a more advanced degree than the one I have.  It's advertising that unregulated, untested, non-FDA approved crap which caused me to loss respect for her.

So we're supposed to think that because she's an "actual" neuroscientist, this product is legit, huh.  Yeah, I lose respect for her for doing that.  Plus when she says, "I don't just play someone brainy on TV, I'm an actual neuroscientist" I get it that neuroscience is about the brain but it still sounds like she's bragging about being brainy because she's a neuroscientist.  And that probably bugs me most of all.

• Love 9
7 hours ago, Gharlane said:

There's this commercial for Chevrolet with a family (and daughter's boyfriend) on an outing and the father points out the car/truck's cameras as a passive-aggressive way of telling them not to fool around that annoys me. Wow, what a dick!

What annoys me is the kids were touching hands; that is, barely grazing each others fingers, when dad makes his comment.  It's not like they were making out or trying to get hands under each other's clothes. I hate the whole dad protecting his daughter's honor trope.  Let the kids hold hands.  /rant

• Love 21
8 hours ago, dleighg said:

what bugs me is that it shows the view of the rear facing camera and it shows.... the thing they are towing! It doesn't show the back seat for goodness sake! So is he just being snarky for the sake of being snarky?

Showing what's behind them (in their case, what they're towing) is an earlier camera angle.  The one he makes the "funny business" comment about is the view showing the bed of the pick-up truck (what they're towing is just seen in the background), so he's warning them if they get busy there, he'll know.  Which is still stupid*, of course, but he's not implying there's a camera showing the backseat.

*The cameras don't run 24/7 and send a booty alert to his phone.  The only way the camera would tell him they'd crawled into the bed of the truck for some action is if he was in the truck, with it on, looking at that camera's view.  In which case they wouldn't get in the truck bed to begin with, and, if they did, he'd know without the camera. 

2 hours ago, PrincessPurrsALot said:

What annoys me is the kids were touching hands; that is, barely grazing each others fingers, when dad makes his comment.  It's not like they were making out or trying to get hands under each other's clothes. I hate the whole dad protecting his daughter's honor trope.  Let the kids hold hands.  /rant

Yes!  This is the fundamental problem.  They look young, he's joining her and her family for a day on the ATVs, and when he expresses his thanks for inviting them and the dad welcomes him, the two kids clasp hands.  There is nothing about that which makes Dad turning into a Don't even think about it, punk weirdo cute.

• Love 6

Yes!  This is the fundamental problem.  They look young, he's joining her and her family for a day on the ATVs, and when he expresses his thanks for inviting them and the dad welcomes him, the two kids clasp hands.  There is nothing about that which makes Dad turning into a Don't even think about it, punk weirdo cute.

It's the expression of ownership portrayed as "sweet" protectiveness. Ugh.

• Love 14

Why are those Medicare Advantage (Medicare Part C) commercials back?  When we were bombarded with them last fall, they said the deadline for filing was December 7th.  I'm pretty sure it's the end of March so I don't understand why they're back.

Edited by AnnA
  • Love 8

The more I see it, the more it makes me angry. The Domino ad giving $3" tips" for pick up. I understand they are having problems getting drivers but the precedent they are setting that $3 is a good tip for delivery is not a good one. If I were looking for a job as a driver and my company was advertising how great a $3 tip was I'd look elsewhere for a job. They would be better off calling it a $3 rebate on the next order they place online if you pick it up. I think calling it a "tip" is going to bite them in the arse at some point.

• Love 14
4 hours ago, AnnA said:

Why are those Medicare Advantage (Medicare Part C) commercials back?  When we were bombarded with them last fall, they said the deadline for filing was December 7th.  I'm pretty sure it's the end of March so I don't understand why they're back.

I found the answer to that question on this website.  It looks like we might be done with them by the end of this month.

I feel your pain, I hate them too, especially the ones with Joe Namath and Jimmy Walker.

This is the explanation:

Starting January 1, Medicare Advantage insurance plans have until March 31 to convince current plan users to switch between Medicare Advantage Plan companies. For these first three months in 2021, Medicare Advantage plan users can switch either to another Medicare Advantage Plan, or return back  to Original Medicare. If you return to Original Medicare, you need to also enroll in a Part D prescription plan. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I found the answer to that question on this website.  It looks like we might be done with them by the end of this month.

I feel your pain, I hate them too, especially the ones with Joe Namath and Jimmy Walker.

This is the explanation:

AND the ads stress "If you moved or lost your insurance..." - with that in mind, I think we'll be seeing them a lot longer.

On 3/26/2022 at 2:57 PM, susannah said:

I haven't seen that one, what does the kid do? I also remember one from a while back for paper towels, in which the kid grabs a 2 liter bottle of pop, shakes it up and starts spraying it all over the kitchen. What a little angel. So what does the mother do? Grabs another bottle, shakes it and sprays it at him! Yeah that will really teach him not to do that, and can you imagine cleaning up that horrible sticky mess, that could get everywhere?

I don't even like trying to imagine it! I'd move! And drop off my kid at a boarding school on the way!

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
20 hours ago, Yeah No said:

This is the explanation:

Thanks for posting that explanation.  I hate those commercials soooo much!

15 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

AND the ads stress "If you moved or lost your insurance..." - with that in mind, I think we'll be seeing them a lot longer.

I hope not!   They're on way too much.  Considering how much money they're spending on advertising., they must be making a fortune.

Edited by AnnA
  • Love 5

I normally don't mind the commercials with the life coach helping people who are becoming like their parents. But I hate the one where he takes a group of adults to a movie theater. At the end of the movie, one of them applauds and the coach is quick to silence her. "No one here is connected with making the movie," he says. I applaud at the end of a movie that I really like and I'm usually not alone. It gives the theater staff an idea of how well a movie is going over with the audience.

• Love 14
45 minutes ago, mmecorday said:

I normally don't mind the commercials with the life coach helping people who are becoming like their parents. But I hate the one where he takes a group of adults to a movie theater. At the end of the movie, one of them applauds and the coach is quick to silence her. "No one here is connected with making the movie," he says. I applaud at the end of a movie that I really like and I'm usually not alone. It gives the theater staff an idea of how well a movie is going over with the audience.

I've been in the movie theaters where we all clapped at the end too. 

• Love 6

A channel I watch quite often has started airing that damn Lume personal deodorant commercial where the annoying Dr/Creator pops her head out from between a woman's legs. Good for her that her product is doing well. Having said that she and her commercials annoy the hell out of me especially the one described above.

Edited by Jaded
  • Love 10
2 hours ago, Jaded said:

A channel I watch quite often has started airing that damn Lume personal deodorant commercial where the annoying Dr/Creator pops her head out from between a woman's legs. Good for her that her product is doing well. Having said that she and her commercials annoy the hell out of me especially the one described above.

All of their commercials have annoyed/grossed me out.  At least they are getting less obnoxious and just annoying/stupid these days.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, mmecorday said:

I do not ever remember seeing anyone applaud at the end of a movie. 🤔

I am rather surprised there was no scene with the life couch slapping people's hands for trying to smuggle snacks into the theatre, tho.

• Love 2

Granted, it has been a long time since I've actually seen a movie in a movie theater.

Also, does anyone actually believe that Cindy Crawford looks so youthful because she smears magical melon cream on her face? That commercial is so annoying and so long.

• LOL 3
  • Love 10
32 minutes ago, mmecorday said:

Granted, it has been a long time since I've actually seen a movie in a movie theater.

Also, does anyone actually believe that Cindy Crawford looks so youthful because she smears magical melon cream on her face? That commercial is so annoying and so long.

Sooooo looooong.

• Love 8
17 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Sooooo looooong.

Would you rather watch the one with people yelling and screaming about how fast the eye wrinkle cream works? 

Edited by Gharlane
  • LOL 12
  • Love 2
Just now, Gharlane said:

Would you rather watch the one with people yelling and screaming about how fast the eye wrinkle works? 

Oh god, that's another one. I have a "previous channel" button on my remote, so I just hit that and hope the other channel isn't running a commercial too.

• Love 4
16 hours ago, mmecorday said:

I have seen that one yet, but I absolutely agree with you.  I've applauded at the end of movies I thought were extraordinary, and I was definitely not becoming my parents at the time.

I usually enjoy those commercials, but the last couple (airport & supermarket) just annoyed me.

2 hours ago, mmecorday said:

I'm sure her fantastic genes have nothing to do with it.

• Love 7
17 hours ago, mmecorday said:

I despise all of those "becoming like their parents" commercials.  So do all these people have stupid, oblivious, out of touch parents or is it that anyone old enough to have adult children is stupid and oblivious?  Some of the behaviors mentioned are questionable but some are quite normal.  Why can't people decide for themselves what to emulate and what to avoid?

• Love 4

"If you're thinking about anything, chances are you're thinking about Home Goods."

Sorry Home Goods (emPHAsis on the second syllable for some reason), but I think quite a lot, and the only time I think about Home Goods is when I've got nothing better to do than post comments on PrimeTimer. 

Edited by Leeds
Second not last..
  • LOL 12
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I'm sure her fantastic genes have nothing to do with it.

That's why I find it hilarious the long version of the commercial shows her mom.  Um, maybe not a good idea to, in hawking this magical melon as the reason for her beauty, show the beautiful woman who birthed her.  If her mom looks like that in her 70s, of course Cindy looks like she does in her 50s.  (Products and procedures enhance, of course, and they've got the money to spend on 'em, but they looked great long before this dude frolicked through a melon field in France -- she started on third base in the looks department.)

• Love 9

I haven't seen the "becoming your parents" commercial in the movie theater.  I normally enjoy those commercials so I don't expect to not like that one.   I've never experienced the audience clap after a movie but I haven't been to one in a long, long time.   The only movies I ever went to see are the really big ones so if clapping was common, those would have deserved it.

• Love 2

I liked the "becoming your parents" commercials in the beginning. They were very funny. The last few really haven't been funny. The grocery store one so what if he wants to get a varity pack for the game. It's his money. Why is it so bad to tell a manager one of their employees was doing a good job? That's great. That's what managers want to hear. It's nice for employees to hear they are doing a good job or a customer appreciated their help. The airport one is dumb too especially him throwing out snacks that she was bringing on the plane. Who throws that out? Airplane food is usually small and crappy. We've always taken snacks on a plane and drinks. Just in case it's crappy or we get hungry later. The movie one if they want to clap at the end let them clap. I also agree with the woman about going to the bathroom now even if you don't have too. I'm surprised he didn't catch them sneaking in food and threw them out. 

• Love 10

Yeah, that series has gone downhill a bit recently, with each of the recent commercials including a scenario that just doesn't work as something to make fun of as presented.

- Snacks for the plane would have easily been funny if she'd pulled a crazy smorgasbord of food out of her bag instead of a simple snack bag many people now travel with due to limited on-board options and the cost of airport food

- Telling the store manager the guy in produce was really helpful is a good thing, and not at all done in a disruptive way, since he didn't go track him down and interrupt people, he just happened upon the manager and took the three-second opportunity to praise and move on; that should have been left out of the grocery store installment altogether

- People clap at the end of industry screenings of films all the time, and, yes, "no one who made the movie is here" makes clapping after a regular cinema experience different from that, so I'm not opposed to the scenario on general principle, it just isn't presented in a funny way given how long that has been happening (even though not regularly).  Have someone disrupt others by not using their inside voice to ask their companion a dumb question about what just happened in the middle of a film instead

I've never needed to relate to the scenarios to laugh at them, like the "It's blue/We all see it" exchange about seeing someone with blue hair in a store.  It's the 21st century, that's not noteworthy in the slightest most places, for either parents or people who've become their parents, but the delivery made it art.  They're running out of steam a bit, because they're not elevating those yeah, and? scenarios into something funny like they used to.

• Love 5

There is a AAA commercial that I do not understand: 

The dad is lifting a box, the bottom drops out and among the items is a photo of Dad with big 80s-type hair and playing a guitar I think…

There is some background guitar music and Dad says, “I was the lead singer.“

The daughter gets all mad and walks away…in disgust?

I don’t get it. Why is the daughter mad? Is the daughter mad that Dad was in a band over a decade ago long before she was born and Dad was not supposed to have a life before parenthood?  Why would someone get mad about that? I don’t get it. Please explain. 

Just now, Glitches said:

The dad is lifting a box, the bottom drops out and among the items is a photo of Dad with big 80s-type hair and playing a guitar I think…

I don’t get it. Why is the daughter mad? Is the daughter mad that Dad was in a band over a decade ago long before she was born and Dad was not supposed to have a life before parenthood?  Why would someone get mad about that? I don’t get it. Please explain. 

• Love 2

I remember watching that one when it was brought up last year, and just checked it out again.  It seems to be typical teenage embarrassment at her dork parent having been a hair band dude, exaggerated for a commercial, but not actually funny.  What I can't figure out is what the hell the mom says.  "Packing tape is like roadside assistance -- something something."  Maybe if I knew what the something something was, the commercial would be funny?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, andromeda331 said:

We've always taken snacks on a plane and drinks. Just in case it's crappy or we get hungry later.

You can't take drinks on planes anymore, can you?

• Love 3

You take an empty bottle with you, go through security, and fill the bottle at the water fountain.

The last time I heard applause at a theater was a special showing of the original West Side Story and there was furiously happy applause when Jerome Robbins' name showed up in the credits; ditto for Stephen Sondheim.

• Love 4
7 hours ago, susannah said:

1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

You take an empty bottle with you, go through security, and fill the bottle at the water fountain.

You can also take drinks you purchase after security on.  As long as they aren't alcoholic.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, susannah said:

Sure you can.  I take a water bottle on with me all the time.  Of course I have to buy the overpriced bottle at the newsstand.  (Yeah, I know I can fill my own once through security.)

The "becoming your parents" commercials are getting a little stale, but I still think they are amusing.  Coat wrangler.

• Love 3

I have an irrational fear of flying. I take my own empty insulated water bottle through security, buy a soda and ask for an extra glass of ice, mix Sprite, ice, and gin (from 3 oz. bottles that are allowable by TSA), and I have my drink on the plane. Not allowable by the airlines, but no one has ever questioned what's in my bottle. 

So yes, you can take drinks you have purchased past security on the plane.

• Love 5
12 hours ago, Glitches said:

I'm glad there is someone else who feels this way. I was in a punk band in the 70s and my name is on a couple of records as a special thanks to as I wrote a couple of songs before my parents moved again.

I've never shut up about it but if I had had kids they would have known about it since they were 5. Anyway isn't it a parents job to embarrass their kids?

• Love 9
2 hours ago, Welshman in Ca said:

I'm glad there is someone else who feels this way. I was in a punk band in the 70s and my name is on a couple of records as a special thanks to as I wrote a couple of songs before my parents moved again.

I've never shut up about it but if I had had kids they would have known about it since they were 5. Anyway isn't it a parents job to embarrass their kids?

My husband was in rock bands all through the seventies and eighties. He is a drummer and was on several albums as a sessions musician. Our son was never embarrassed about it. He thought it was cool as hell.

• Love 13
(edited)
On 3/29/2022 at 8:56 AM, PrincessPurrsALot said:

I completely agree with this. Also, all he's telling them is to do their heavy petting deep in the woods, rather than right behind the truck.

I've never disagreed with the "becoming your parents" commercials, but they're getting old. It seems like they're starting to lean more toward things that are annoying rather than things I associate with my parents/aunts/uncles/friends' parents. I find it ridiculous when people clap at the movies, but I think people of all ages do it.

Edited by janie jones
  • Love 1
(edited)

I don’t like like the airport installment of the becoming your parents series, either. I’ve complained before. I don’t want to buy overpriced airport gift shop snacks that are rarely ever appealing anyways (unless it’s the duty free shops, then yeah). I pack my own yummy snacks. If that means I’m like my boomer mom, then that’s fine by me. 

Edited by Mrs. Landingham
  • Love 16
3 hours ago, Mrs. Landingham said:

I don’t like like the airport installment of the becoming your parents series, either. I’ve complained before. I don’t want to buy overpriced airport gift shop snacks that are rarely ever appealing anyways (unless it’s the duty free shops, then yeah). I pack my own yummy snacks. If that means I’m like my boomer mom, then that’s fine by me. 

The snacks seem to be the real sticking point in these ads. They need to rethink their approach.

• Love 11

Smartfood popcorn with the young woman who is shown as a brainiac, yelling out trivia answers, trouncing someone in speed chess, etc.  I'm pretty sure there is zero scientific evidence that eating cheese popcorn makes you smarter.

• LOL 14
8 hours ago, Leeds said:

I'm pretty sure there is zero scientific evidence that eating cheese popcorn makes you smarter.

There's probably also zero scientific evidence that it doesn't (mostly because nobody has bothered scientifically testing that)😄

I love Smartfood.  I haven't had any for ages.  Now I want some to see if I become smarter.  And I didn't even see the commercial.  That is one effective commercial.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
On 4/2/2022 at 10:37 PM, peacheslatour said:

The snacks seem to be the real sticking point in these ads. They need to rethink their approach.

I find the comment about the paper tickets annoying, too.  Especially given that they aren't tickets, they must be boarding passes since the people are in the waiting area at the gate, not back at the ticket counter area.  I haven't flown in a long time so maybe those aren't paper anymore either, but still, it bugs.

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
8 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I find the comment about the paper tickets annoying, too.  Especially given that they aren't tickets, they must be boarding passes since the people are in the waiting area at the gate, not back at the ticket counter area.  I haven't flown in a long time so maybe those aren't paper anymore either, but still, it bugs.

I haven't  flown in at least 6 years,  and the last 4 or 5 times I flew, I had virtual boarding passes on my phone. Pretty  much checked in online, dropped off my bag at curbside baggage check, and headed to the gate. 

• Useful 3
1 minute ago, Colleenna said:

I haven't  flown in at least 6 years,  and the last 4 or 5 times I flew, I had virtual boarding passes on my phone. Pretty  much checked in online, dropped off my bag at curbside baggage check, and headed to the gate. 

Thanks for the info.  I'd have been sol on that until fairly recently since I got my first smartphone last fall.

• Love 1

We use paper boarding passes when we fly Southwest. They show we are pre-TSA approved so we don't have to take off shoes and so on. The TSA agents checks the paper boarding passes and initials after checking our ids. Then our passes are scanned when we board the plane. I'd rather have paper in case doing it by phone doesn't work. The snack thing is stupid. Southwest stopped selling alcohol. If you want refreshments, best to bring from home. Drinks are the only thing I buy past security. I think the airport Progressive ad misses what's going on with flying these days.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
(edited)

If they actually had paper tickets (assuming you can even get those anymore), like he says, that would make sense to mock.  But what they're actually holding are paper boarding passes, which have not yet become obscure.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 7