Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

Charles Schwab, I don't know if it's that I can't relate to the people in your ads or that I'm bitter due to having no wealth in need of managing, but your overly earnest ads make my teeth itch. 

Lexus, having generic pretty people sing about blue skies in a near monotone while driving your cars is not even remotely appealing. Fuck me, I just summoned it.

Burger King, enough with the two grown ass dolts wearing paper crowns and expressing their amazement at the price of their meals. "Someone's going to get fired." I hope it's the person who approved this ad. 

• Love 14
7 minutes ago, NinjaPenguins said:

Charles Schwab, I don't know if it's that I can't relate to the people in your ads or that I'm bitter due to having no wealth in need of managing, but your overly earnest ads make my teeth itch. 

Lexus, having generic pretty people sing about blue skies in a near monotone while driving your cars is not even remotely appealing. Fuck me, I just summoned it.

Burger King, enough with the two grown ass dolts wearing paper crowns and expressing their amazement at the price of their meals. "Someone's going to get fired." I hope it's the person who approved this ad. 

Amen to ALL of that.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

Honey Bunches of Oats? I love those! I'll have to try your method, don't live alone but I suppose I *could* use a glass.

Trader Joe's version of them, I suppose. They don't smell like cookies, though.

• Love 1
43 minutes ago, NinjaPenguins said:

The WAY that cat says "someone's going to get fired" makes me want to boil him in oil and then serve him as onion rings.

I have no idea why it enrages me so but there you have it.  And seriously, get bent shortie.  They're whoppers.  It's criminal if that mess DOESN'T cost five bucks for the whole shebang.

• Love 9
On ‎7‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 10:57 PM, bilgistic said:

Trader Joe's unsweetened almond milk is pretty good. I think it's better than Silk.

I drink it straight--I pour cereal into my mouth from one cup, then immediately pour almond milk into my mouth from another cup. I chew and enjoy crunchy, milky cereal that will never get soggy.

I'm a monster.

Hahaha-thats the way to do it!

I drink Almond/ coconut blend Blue Diamond-really like it a lot!

6 hours ago, bilgistic said:

I really, really don't like soggy cereal, and my cereal choice contains (nutty clusters and) flakes, which get soggy the second they look at milk.

As do I. With those types of cereal, I usually pour the milk in the bowl and just add the amount of cereal I can eat before it gets soggy, then pour in some more. I seriously love Wheaties, but damn, it goes bad faster than McDonald's fries.

Edited by riley702
  • Love 3

I kind of like that muffin. It's the only thing in the ad that I do like. That kid who eats it is the most annoying kid in a commercial I've seen yet.

I kind of like that jinxy kid in the car ad. I know what it feels like to break everything you touch. When the lamp crashes down on the table where the father is working I have to laugh. The kid is so cute. And when the body parts fall out of the display body in the classroom. That poor kid. My nephew is like that. I would never let him sit in my car!

• Love 2
On ‎7‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 2:21 AM, kat165 said:

I am very disturbed by the commerical where people's minds are blown. I have no idea now what they were/are selling and even though the blown mind is illustrated as happy purple dust exploding from the top of the actors' heads  I just find it so sensely violent.

I am way over the expression "blow your mind" and all the theatrics people perform. Stop it.

On ‎7‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 1:26 AM, Rick Kitchen said:

This commercial is horrifying.  The most racist piece of shit I've seen in years.  The black folks worshipping the white blonde woman.

I saw that one last night. I had no problem with it.

On ‎7‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 11:54 PM, kat165 said:

Speaking of Care.com, I can't stand the kids they use in their commercials. They all sound the same, whiney, snotty and spoiled.

Oh, I cannot stand the brat in that ad!

• Love 4
17 hours ago, mojoween said:

They're whoppers.  It's criminal if that mess DOESN'T cost five bucks for the whole shebang.

You can get that meal for even less with a coupon. The whopper has shrunk so much that about the only thing it has going for it now is the tomato. McDonalds doesn't put tomato on their burgers unless they're doing one of their limited-time offers.

• Love 1

Hopefully now that Neil Clark Warren is stepping back, maybe he'll also stop appearing in the eHarmony ads!!??!!

Seriously. There's something creepy about that old guy matching young people up - like he's plotting to create a new Master Race or something.

• Love 13
On ‎07‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 10:57 PM, bilgistic said:

Trader Joe's unsweetened almond milk is pretty good. I think it's better than Silk.

I drink it straight--I pour cereal into my mouth from one cup, then immediately pour almond milk into my mouth from another cup. I chew and enjoy crunchy, milky cereal that will never get soggy.

I'm a monster.

As long as you're not blasting seizure-inducing music at us while doing it, you're golden.

• Love 4

Time for Flo to be permanently retired.  Her schtick is getting wayyyyyy too old.

I hate the one for Lowes where the woman is redecorating her bathroom (it looks really good) but she has this plastic causian mermaid who sits on a shelf and she says "I have to answer my Shellphone.  Hey, girl hey".  To me, there's a bit of racism there because this mermaid adopts a slight inflection of how some African Americans speak, at least my black students spoke that way---and my entire classroom was only black kids.  

In all reality, I hate all those commercials who use plastic toys to sell anything, like the ones that are pinned under or near a toilet to sell toilet paper?  Yuck.

What idiot writer, for either a commercial or TV program (yes, I'm talking about that downright horrible Jim Gaffigan show), thinks an overweight man stuffing his face is funny?  That new Kevin show better not be nothing more than food stories like the Gaffigan show is.  Sorry, but I can go to any all you can eat buffet and see the same thing.   

• Love 3
1 hour ago, KLovestoShop said:

I hate the one for Lowes where the woman is redecorating her bathroom (it looks really good) but she has this plastic causian mermaid who sits on a shelf and she says "I have to answer my Shellphone.  Hey, girl hey".  To me, there's a bit of racism there because this mermaid adopts a slight inflection of how some African Americans speak, at least my black students spoke that way---and my entire classroom was only black kids.  

Racism, really?  I just thought it was a take on teenage girls in general and how they speak. 

But yeah the talking inanimate objects are getting old.  A few years ago Pier One did something similar where furniture started talking to the customers, trying to talk them into purchasing them.  Gah I don't need knick-nacks and ottomans talking to me!!

Edited by Dirtybubble
  • Love 9
On 7/31/2016 at 6:05 PM, Tunia said:

Hopefully now that Neil Clark Warren is stepping back, maybe he'll also stop appearing in the eHarmony ads!!??!!

Wouldn't stepping back give him more time to be shooting ads? He's still going to be chairman, so if he wants to continue being in them, nobody at the company can say no.

• Love 2

I don't mind the talking objects so much as I'm bugged by food that have faces and arms/legs and talk. How is that appealing? Food is meant to be eaten. It feels like cannabolism (sp?). Like the Chips Ahoy guys or the Peanut
 M & M's.

• Love 6

On ‎7‎/‎31‎/‎2016 at 6:05 PM, Tunia said:

Wouldn't stepping back give him more time to be shooting ads? He's still going to be chairman, so if he wants to continue being in them, nobody at the company can say no.

I'm hoping his thinking is that he "wants to spend more time with his family".  More time with HIS family means less time with mine!

Edited by Tunia
  • Love 5

I hate the one for Lowes where the woman is redecorating her bathroom (it looks really good) but she has this plastic causian mermaid who sits on a shelf and she says "I have to answer my Shellphone.  Hey, girl hey".  To me, there's a bit of racism there because this mermaid adopts a slight inflection of how some African Americans speak

I'm hearing "valley girl" more than ebonics. Personally I have a bigger issue with how huge that bathroom is. Seriously, it's the size of my third bedroom. 

• Love 10

Nice job, McDonald's, butchering Cyndi Lauper in one of your commercials. And by nice job, I mean fuck you. It's not like "Time After Time" is my favorite song or anything, but it never offended me enough that I'd say it deserved the McD's treatment. I'd also like to call out Honda's egregious douching of "Crazy in Love." 

• Love 5
3 hours ago, NinjaPenguins said:

Nice job, McDonald's, butchering Cyndi Lauper in one of your commercials. And by nice job, I mean fuck you. It's not like "Time After Time" is my favorite song or anything, but it never offended me enough that I'd say it deserved the McD's treatment. I'd also like to call out Honda's egregious douching of "Crazy in Love." 

I wouldn't mind the Honda ad so much if they'd sung the "uh-oh, uh-oh, uh-oh, uh-oh" part and twerked. 

I miss the days when McDonald's used to write its own jingles: "Big Mac, Filet-O-Fish, Quarter Pounder, French Fries...," "Two all-beef Patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions, on a sesame seed bun," the Moon guy who sang at the piano, and of course, "You Deserve a Break Today."

• Love 4

I miss jingles in general.  It irritates me when I hear the great song "I'm Sorry" on iHeart Radio and the first thing I think of is a cat litter ad.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 10

"Two all-beef Patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions, on a sesame seed bun," 

When I was little, I had a T-shirt of this. Each ingredient's words were drawn to look like the food (does that even make sense? I'm having a hard time articulation this) and layered like a big burger. I'm picturing this shirt in my head and from what I recall, there was nothing aesthetically that indicated it was an official McDonald's (?) promo item. I'm gonna see if I can find it on E-Bay, but it's a long shot (though my mom did recently find a little yellow and red license plate with my name on it from McDonald's!).

Edit: OK, this is not it--my shirt was white with paler colors, but you get the idea. Also, I hated onions (still do) back then and wished they weren't part of my super-cool shirt!

7cb7ae6ecb06f57a0abc7b98c5cac323.jpg

images.jpg

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 5

I am sick of the paper plate (?) commercial with some family dinner where they're questioning gramps about meeting grandma.  I find the whole thing highly annoying and slighty creepy.   I have zero interest eavesdropping on a "real" family conversation.  You know why?  Because real family conversations can be boring enough if you're part of the family.  If you're not?  Excruciating.  

I'm also tired of the chick shilling for the "Honest" company.   She has two amazing children.  Amazing y'all!  Uh, no.  I'm sure they're lovely kids but maybe you should stop introducing yourself as the parent of amazing kids so you don't come off as an arrogant douche and they don't develop as special snowflake complex.  

• Love 10
3 minutes ago, Maverick said:

I am sick of the paper plate (?) commercial with some family dinner where they're questioning gramps about meeting grandma.  I find the whole thing highly annoying and slighty creepy.   I have zero interest eavesdropping on a "real" family conversation.  You know why?  Because real family conversations can be boring enough if you're part of the family.  If you're not?  Excruciating.   

Grandma and Grandpa have accents, but it doesn't explain why the kids can't pronounce English.  I swear the one guy asks, "So she cackled you"?  I guess he's saying tackled.  And one woman says, "So you've been together for what, fifteen years?"  I guess she's saying fifty, but it sure doesn't sound like that.

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, Maverick said:

Yeah, being able to say "well, I'll just start clearing the dishes" is a plus - it's how you get out of those boring conversations!

• Love 4
8 minutes ago, Rick Kitchen said:

Grandma and Grandpa have accents, but it doesn't explain why the kids can't pronounce English.  I swear the one guy asks, "So she cackled you"?  I guess he's saying tackled.  And one woman says, "So you've been together for what, fifteen years?"  I guess she's saying fifty, but it sure doesn't sound like that.

I think he's saying "cat called". But yeah, who cares? It's just boring. And the grandparents are like immigrant stereotypes from the 1940's.

• Love 3

He CATCALLED her?! Grandpa, come on now!

I never saw that commercial, but I miss hearing my grandparents tell me what things were like, blah-blah-blah. I'm in my mid-40s and still have a grandma (I'm out of grandpas though, and I started out with three!). I should call that crazy old broad.

• Love 6
On Tuesday, August 02, 2016 at 0:29 PM, iMonrey said:

I'm hearing "valley girl" more than ebonics. Personally I have a bigger issue with how huge that bathroom is. Seriously, it's the size of my third bedroom. 

I agree.  I thought "valley girl", too.  If anything, this one sounds more stereotypical to me.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

He CATCALLED her?! Grandpa, come on now!

I never saw that commercial, but I miss hearing my grandparents tell me what things were like, blah-blah-blah. I'm in my mid-40s and still have a grandma (I'm out of grandpas though, and I started out with three!). I should call that crazy old broad.

No, he asked if Grandma catcalled (or whatever he said, I still hear "tackled") Grandpa.

• Love 2
On 8/1/2016 at 9:32 PM, kat165 said:

I don't mind the talking objects so much as I'm bugged by food that have faces and arms/legs and talk. How is that appealing? Food is meant to be eaten. It feels like cannabolism (sp?). Like the Chips Ahoy guys or the Peanut
 M & M's.

I would add Pop Tarts to that list of chatty foods that need to go away.  

I don't know what's worse, the nasty new flavors (ymmv, but Orange Crush flavored Pop Tarts sound disgusting) or the creepy lady who manages to trick the Pop Tarts into getting eaten.  

• Love 3

I saw this commercial today. It made me sad, angry and confused. I hated seeing Henry Winkler do commercials for reverse mortgages too. Tom has been on Blue Bloods going on 7 years so he shouldn't need the money these commercials are paying. Reverse Mortgages are bad news. It looks like he's using super black shoe polish on his hair and mustache instead of the brown/dark brown he seemed to like before.

Edited by Jaded
  • Love 1

I think that's the first time I've seen it spelled out that the borrower can be foreclosed on for "not maintaining the property"! What the hell does that even mean? Seems like that could be verrrry subjective. But hey, it's not just another way for the bank to get your house, right Tom?

Edited by riley702
apparently wasn't done ranting.
  • Love 2
On ‎8‎/‎2‎/‎2016 at 0:52 PM, GaT said:

I was watching this commercial, & had no idea what it was for. Then it got to the end. I can't believe they advertise on TV.

This one made me very angry. I am hoping it doesn't mean they're opening a motel chain!

On ‎8‎/‎2‎/‎2016 at 10:01 PM, topanga said:

I wouldn't mind the Honda ad so much if they'd sung the "uh-oh, uh-oh, uh-oh, uh-oh" part and twerked. 

• Love 1
16 hours ago, Maverick said:

I'm also tired of the chick shilling for the "Honest" company.   She has two amazing children.  Amazing y'all!  Uh, no.  I'm sure they're lovely kids but maybe you should stop introducing yourself as the parent of amazing kids so you don't come off as an arrogant douche and they don't develop as special snowflake complex.  

Guess it's an UPO but I think grandma and grandpa are adorable.  The only thing that seems odd to me is that the family never heard the story before.

I do agree completely about the woman and her amaaaaazing babies, who don't seem anything other than normal kids, certainly not amaaaaazing.  It's not like they are playing the piano at 2 or creating painted masterpieces.  I pity their teachers when mom comes in for a parent/teacher convo.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, Rick Kitchen said:

No, he asked if Grandma catcalled (or whatever he said, I still hear "tackled") Grandpa.

Either way, these folks really took life by the horns and found love! Maybe they should replace the eHarmony man.

ymmv, but Orange Crush flavored Pop Tarts sound disgusting) 

I bet they taste like baby aspirin.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 3

I saw this commercial today. It made me sad, angry and confused. I hated seeing Henry Winkler do commercials for reverse mortgages too. Tom has been on Blue Bloods going on 7 years so he shouldn't need the money these commercials are paying. Reverse Mortgages are bad news. It looks like he's using super black shoe polish on his hair and mustache instead of the brown/dark brown he seemed to like before.

Why does he need to research reverse mortgages, anyway? I doubt he's hanging on by the skin of his teeth every month. The money from the commercial alone would go a long way.

Yeah, reverse mortgages are bad, unless you're in a situation where they're not.  I have no heirs. When I die, I don't CARE if the bank takes my cheesey condo. They can have it. I don't need to be concerned about proper maintenance, either, because the HOA takes cares of most of that. However, they never give the full value of your home. They always hold back some of the equity AND the amount they've given you accrues interest, so that when it comes time to pay it back, you owe them more than they gave you (why else would they be in business unless it's to make money?)  I ended up not getting one (yet) because I'm too young - they held back a huge amount of my equity, making the whole process not worth very much. 

It does seem like a scam; I'm surprised a certain POTUS candidate hasn't tried *that* for a business venture.

• Love 7
15 hours ago, Hildegard802 said:

On top of the "I want my mother to FEEEEL my migraine pain!!!!" ad, I now have the damn HPV commerical.  "I got cancer, and it's my PARENTS' FAULT.  YOU BASTARDS!!!!!" one.  smdh

I can never decide how I feel about the HPV ad. I believe in getting vaccinated against whatever things you can get vaccinated against, and while I'm not a parent, it is a parent's job to make sure their kids are protected from disease. That said, rewinding time until the adult has turned back into a kid is pretty manipulative, which is something I don't appreciate because it turns a legitimate issue into a cudgel.

Edited by Cobalt Stargazer
  • Love 9

I also don't appreciate the manipulation because the window of opportunity for vaccinating is VERY small, and far as I know, it's not 100% effective.  The company could've gotten the message across without being so frying-pan-in-the-face about it.  PARENTS WHO DON'T VACCINATE THEIR 11 AND 12 YEAR OLDS ARE CAUSING THEIR DEATHS!!!  Shoot, why didn't they go all the way and show the parents being arrested and charged with first degree murder.

• Love 8
10 hours ago, riley702 said:

I think that's the first time I've seen it spelled out that the borrower can be foreclosed on for "not maintaining the property"! What the hell does that even mean? Seems like that could be verrrry subjective. But hey, it's not just another way for the bank to get your house, right Tom?

I don't see a problem as long as you keep the right to have your own professional assess the condition. They just don't want people to let the place fall apart and stick them with a house that's only worth a fraction of what it used to be, because, human nature being what it is, that's what a lot of people would be inclined to do.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Hildegard802 said:

I also don't appreciate the manipulation because the window of opportunity for vaccinating is VERY small, and far as I know, it's not 100% effective.  The company could've gotten the message across without being so frying-pan-in-the-face about it.  PARENTS WHO DON'T VACCINATE THEIR 11 AND 12 YEAR OLDS ARE CAUSING THEIR DEATHS!!!  Shoot, why didn't they go all the way and show the parents being arrested and charged with first degree murder.

I agree with you so much.  Those HPV ads are offensive and wrong.  Put the blame where it belongs, folks: ON THE TEENS HAVING SEX.  That's how you get genital warts.  Why don't they call it that anymore?

And, yes, it is not 100% effective.  In fact, it has caused irreparable harm to some kids instantly after the injection!

• Love 6