Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

The ones that really bug me (haha - they all do) are the ones where the humanoid is staring into the camera and that's it.  Is that going to get me or anyone else to buy their snake -oil ; medical service or anything else?!?

I don't think so

1 hour ago, habenero said:

The ones that really bug me (haha - they all do) are the ones where the humanoid is staring into the camera and that's it.  Is that going to get me or anyone else to buy their snake -oil ; medical service or anything else?!?

I don't think so

So you're not a fan of the Little Babys Ice Cream ad, I take it?  :D

• Love 5

Well, they could attach a vise to her head...

(Sorry the quote buttons are missing today) The could have her eat a couple dozen Peeps to mimic the nausea...

I hate the ad too, mom should ask daughter push a watermelon out her hoohah so she could feel what mom went through when she gave birth to her. I get migraines and I wouldn't wish the experience on my worst enemy, let alone my mom.

• Love 7
28 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

(Sorry the quote buttons are missing today) The could have her eat a couple dozen Peeps to mimic the nausea...

I hate the ad too, mom should ask daughter push a watermelon out her hoohah so she could feel what mom went through when she gave birth to her. I get migraines and I wouldn't wish the experience on my worst enemy, let alone my mom.

Peeps!  *sounds of disgust*

I'm sorry you get migraines, I grew out of mine somehow, hope you do, too!

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Ubiquitous said:

Is that the one in which she "proves" her friend needs teeth whitening by holding a whiter-than-white napkin up to her teeth?

It's the one where the bridesmaids are wearing blue dresses and doing supermodel-style poses for the photographer. I usually manage to get to the mute by the gift basket line and then I can ignore it, so I don't know if there are napkins.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Brattinella said:

Awww...I love Peeps! They're cute, tasty, and you can make fun dioramas with them. And then eat them fifteen years later.

• Love 15

Snyder's pretzel lady always creeps me out,in the first commercial I always expect the black guy to suddenly kneel over because crazy lady poisoned the pretzels also her saying that "Pretzels will still be here long after you or I gone" it sounds like a threat,In a another commercial when she turns a whole pretzel into pretzel bites or whatever their selling and says it for your own good it makes me really hope she does not have kids,That woman is frighting and the only one who can say "pretzel baby!" and still make me scared that she'll kill me.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, ennui said:

Liberty Mutual tow-truck-needing "page 22, blah blah blah blah blah" lady?

She's the worst of all of Liberty Mutual land.  I hate her.  Hey, lady, you know what you can do before you get your 25 page insurance policy?  ASK THE FUCKING AGENT WHAT YOU ARE COVERED FOR.  Go ahead, ask.  That's WHAT THEY GET PAID FOR.  And also, I bet if you looked on that page of your policy, it would say tow coverage if you have it and if it doesn't say it, THEN YOU DON'T HAVE IT.  It's not that goddamned hard.

Ugh I hate them all so much that's not even why I came in here but she is the ABSOLUTE WORST of the entire bad lot.

"Because you're on four legs, I'm on two and I'm driving" is not a good reason to not get barbecue and I think you owe them a better explanation than that, McConaghey.

• Love 9

This commercial for some stationary bike, Peloton.  Has anyone ever heard of them before this ad?

Also, WTF is up with this imaginary house that this family lives in?  It appears to be at least 2 stories tall and entirely made of glass.  Who lives in a house like that?  It is in the middle of some dense woodland.  I can't find it anywhere online, I think it is a creation by the Peloton people to suggest if you use this exercise bike, you may get a house like this.

I didn't even research how much these contraptions cost!

• Love 2
On 7/4/2016 at 8:13 PM, erikdepressant said:

And depending on which sauce he got for the McNuggets, how popular will she be if he breaks into the party to use the bathroom?

Ohhh, do tell....the last time I had McNuggets they were singing.

They only had like BBQ, Honey Mustard and Sweet and Sour sauce (I was a devotee of HM and S&S)

8 hours ago, mojoween said:

She's the worst of all of Liberty Mutual land.  I hate her.  Hey, lady, you know what you can do before you get your 25 page insurance policy?  ASK THE FUCKING AGENT WHAT YOU ARE COVERED FOR.  Go ahead, ask.  That's WHAT THEY GET PAID FOR.  And also, I bet if you looked on that page of your policy, it would say tow coverage if you have it and if it doesn't say it, THEN YOU DON'T HAVE IT.  It's not that goddamned hard.

Ugh I hate them all so much that's not even why I came in here but she is the ABSOLUTE WORST of the entire bad lot.

"Because you're on four legs, I'm on two and I'm driving" is not a good reason to not get barbecue and I think you owe them a better explanation than that, McConaghey.

Even better.....when I was an adjuster, I remember the first page of the policy drivers got listed their coverages.  It was literally the first page.

And it wasn't hidden it would be like 

COVERAGES

COMP/COLL - $500 deductible

PROPERTY DAMAGE - $10,000

BODILY INJURY - $ 10,000 per person/$30,000 max

UM PROPERTY DAMAGE - $2,500

UM BODILY INJURY - $5,000

and then you would get a booklet which was the actual policy and you could look up each coverage to see what was actually covered.   

And by state mandate it had to be written in "plain English" so even if Miss Liberty Mutual didn't want to read 22 pages, it really shouldn't have been the feat she is making it out to be (although I don't even think a person would interpret such a policy to have random tow coverage -- you really think you would get towed subject to a $500 deductible?)

• Love 5
3 hours ago, RCharter said:

Ohhh, do tell....the last time I had McNuggets they were singing.

They only had like BBQ, Honey Mustard and Sweet and Sour sauce (I was a devotee of HM and S&S)

Even better.....when I was an adjuster, I remember the first page of the policy drivers got listed their coverages.  It was literally the first page.

And it wasn't hidden it would be like 

COVERAGES

COMP/COLL - $500 deductible

PROPERTY DAMAGE - $10,000

BODILY INJURY - $ 10,000 per person/$30,000 max

UM PROPERTY DAMAGE - $2,500

UM BODILY INJURY - $5,000

and then you would get a booklet which was the actual policy and you could look up each coverage to see what was actually covered.   

And by state mandate it had to be written in "plain English" so even if Miss Liberty Mutual didn't want to read 22 pages, it really shouldn't have been the feat she is making it out to be (although I don't even think a person would interpret such a policy to have random tow coverage -- you really think you would get towed subject to a $500 deductible?)

I have tow coverage on my policy with a $500 deductible.  And didn't realize it until my mechanic said something about getting reimbursed for the towing fee because I hadn't actually read the entire 10 page policy.  So my bad.  But at least I didn't assume I had it like this blithering idiot.

22 hours ago, BusyOctober said:

I have never owed a Buick and thanks to all their stupid ads, I never will.  Nor will my children, grandchildren and all progeny henceforth. Every time I see one of their ads, I jump for the remote to either mute or change channel.  I can't decide which one is worse - 1) the ones with idiot passengers looking for their friend's car in a parking lot and calling to find them "I'm right here! In THE BUICK", or 2) the one with the couple on vaca and the wife asked if he locked "THE BUICK" or 3) the one where the baby wakes up and dad says he'll take the baby for a ride in "THE BUICK". 

Who even talks like that about their car?? Wouldn't most people say "I'm the 2nd car down the street, the blue one with light on" or "did you remember to lock THE CAR?" Between us, my husband & I have 2 cars and an old pickup truck; all different makes - a KIA, a Volvo and a Ford.  If deciding which one to use when we go out the conversation goes like this; "your car or mine?"  Unless you have a fleet of vehicles at your disposal, no one differentiates which one they are using by the brand name. GAH!!! So irritating!

I actually kind of like the vacation one, if only because I can imagine how they'll be lucky to just have an apartment full of pigeon crap when they get back, rather than discovering they've been robbed or that swatters had moved in.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, GaT said:

I seriously hate this Verizon "milkshake" commercial

I hate it SO MUCH for so many reasons. I want to punch "young corporate white guy" in his stupid face.

• Love 3

The Liberty Mutual towing lady bugs me because most new cars come with roadside assistance provided by the manufacturer. LM is so fond of their new car replacement sales pitch, seems like they would know that.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I have tow coverage on my policy with a $500 deductible.  And didn't realize it until my mechanic said something about getting reimbursed for the towing fee because I hadn't actually read the entire 10 page policy.  So my bad.  But at least I didn't assume I had it like this blithering idiot.

I actually kind of like the vacation one, if only because I can imagine how they'll be lucky to just have an apartment full of pigeon crap when they get back, rather than discovering they've been robbed or that swatters had moved in.

I'm surprised, it seems like you would have to get towed so far to hit the deductible, and the insurance would cover so little.  I guess it works if you really want to have your car towed far, or if the hook up fee is a little ridiculous, or if you're in a state where the per mile fee is really high.  I mean, the tow is included in the deductible if you have an accident and your car is non-driveable but maybe tow only coverage with a $500 deductible is fairly inexpensive.

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, RCharter said:

I'm surprised, it seems like you would have to get towed so far to hit the deductible, and the insurance would cover so little.  I guess it works if you really want to have your car towed far, or if the hook up fee is a little ridiculous, or if you're in a state where the per mile fee is really high.  I mean, the tow is included in the deductible if you have an accident and your car is non-driveable but maybe tow only coverage with a $500 deductible is fairly inexpensive.

I pay maybe $9 every six months on my policy  (12-year-old car) for roadside assistance, which includes towing. I used it once when I stupidly thought I could make it to the gas station. The guy came out and gave me a gallon of gas (I paid for the gas), and then I went to the station.

I think we've had this conversation before.

• Love 1
Just now, bilgistic said:

I pay maybe $9 every six months on my policy  (12-year-old car) for roadside assistance, which includes towing. I used it once when I stupidly thought I could make it to the gas station. The guy came out and gave me a gallon of gas (I paid for the gas), and then I went to the station.

I think we've had this conversation before.

We have, but I didn't think the coverage would be subject to a $500 deductible.  It seems like in your situation, your deductible would have covered the cost of it so your coverage wouldn't have paid for anything.

• Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, RCharter said:

Maybe I misunderstood what you meant - I don't claim to really get half the stuff in my insurance policy - but I get reimbursed for any towing fees regardless of the reason for the tow.  I don't have to hit the deductible first.  The deductible applies to repairs only.  I probably didn't explain it very well.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, ennui said:

The Liberty Mutual towing lady bugs me because most new cars come with roadside assistance provided by the manufacturer. LM is so fond of their new car replacement sales pitch, seems like they would know that.

But they'd have to read the fine print on page 22, so . . .

• Love 3
7 hours ago, riley702 said:

All of these LM people are idiots.

They are flat out geniuses compared to The General. In one of their commercials the "customer" admits he let his insurance lapse. But The General fixed all of that.

I don't want those people sharing the road with me.

• Love 15
On 7/5/2016 at 2:09 PM, Brattinella said:

I'm sorry you get migraines, I grew out of mine somehow, hope you do, too!

Thanks. You know, I thought I had grown out of them, but they started coming back a couple of months ago. Fingers crossed, I hope it was just a fluke.

• Love 2
(edited)

A million years ago (OK, the early '90s), I worked at one of the first big giant Barnes & Nobles with the cafe and everything. We were open until 11pm and got all kinds of weirdos in there, ranging from men who thought the place was a singles' bar to conspiracy theorists to projectile vomiters (and worse). One night, when we were closing up, we heard a yell--and then, mercifully, a laugh--from the men's room; one of the staff found that some customer had neatly arranged Peeps in a ring all around a toilet seat. I'm still mad to this day that this was pre-cell phone cameras.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 14

McDonalds.  First off, NO ONE ON EARTH talks like that fuckwit customer in your drive through.  And secondly, there is no McDonald's worker anywhere in the universe who is a perky as your alleged employee in the same commercial.  Quit it.  And the fist bump is annoying too.

• Love 4

I would definitely wish migraines on my worst enemy. I'm a vindictive bastard. And yes, I do get migraines on (thankfully) rare occasions.

On Tuesday, July 05, 2016 at 10:22 AM, habenero said:

On Tuesday, July 05, 2016 at 11:56 AM, Rick Kitchen said:

So you're not a fan of the Little Babys Ice Cream ad, I take it?  :D

It's not staring into the camera in that ad; it's staring at you to let you know that it intends to murder you in your sleep.

• Love 5
10 hours ago, mojoween said:

McDonalds.  First off, NO ONE ON EARTH talks like that fuckwit customer in your drive through.  And secondly, there is no McDonald's worker anywhere in the universe who is a perky as your alleged employee in the same commercial.  Quit it.  And the fist bump is annoying too.

and let me just say....I do not need a perky McDonalds employee.  I really don't expect perkiness....even at $15/hour.  I know its not a great job.....when I roll up, just be reasonably nice....and give me ketchup for my fries instead of making me beg for it.

And just no on the fist bump....and that goes for everyone.  The Obamas fist bumped once 7 years ago....its time to just let it die.  We can go back to high fives, or maybe even just a courtesy wave, because I don't know where that hand has been.

• Love 8
13 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Thanks. You know, I thought I had grown out of them, but they started coming back a couple of months ago. Fingers crossed, I hope it was just a fluke.

I read this too quickly and thought you were talking about Peeps.

• Love 9
14 hours ago, mojoween said:

And secondly, there is no McDonald's worker anywhere in the universe who is a perky as your alleged employee in the same commercial.

I haven't seen the commercial you're talking about, but there's a bizarro McDonald's I sometimes go to where the food looks like the food in the ads, the place is immaculate, and the employees are friendly to a degree that I find annoying. If your food isn't ready at the counter, they bring it to you at your table and they also walk around with extra napkins, ketchup packets, and coffee refills. They also hover around the table asking if there's anything else you need, which I think is supposed to be my cue to give them a tip, but ... it's McDonald's. One of the reasons I go to McDonald's is so that I don't have to tip anyone.

• Love 6
On ‎7‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 4:40 PM, peacheslatour said:

I assume the daughter does not feel that way, as long as she gets her "recognition" for all her suffering from migraines.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Brattinella said:

You don't tip at McDonalds because... McDonalds?  I don't get that.  I tip anywhere I get good service, even at the drive-through.

We weren't allowed to accept tips when I worked at McDonalds. That was a lifetime ago, so the rules may have changed, but if someone offered us a tip we had to decline it.

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, St. Claire said:

We weren't allowed to accept tips when I worked at McDonalds. That was a lifetime ago, so the rules may have changed, but if someone offered us a tip we had to decline it.

Wow, that sounds like a pretty repressive place to work!  Thanks for the info!

• Love 1
(edited)
20 hours ago, Brattinella said:

You don't tip at McDonalds because... McDonalds?  I don't get that.  I tip anywhere I get good service, even at the drive-through.

I don't count standing at a counter handing me a tray and making me pour my own drink as service.  One of the points of non-sit-down restaurants is no tipping required.  If you don't come to my table to take my order and then return with said order, I'm not tipping you.

Edited to note that I wish restaurants would just pay their employees a decent wage and eliminate tipping altogether.  I'm willing to pay higher prices to avoid having to figure out the tip.  I really like places which just calculate the tip for me.  Yes, I am that math challenged most of the time.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 19
2 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I don't count standing at a counter handing me a tray and making me pour my own drink as service.  One of the points of non-sit-down restaurants is no tipping required.

That is the one time I never tip, true.  But if I'm in the drive-through, the server is bagging my food and pouring my drink and giving me condiments without being asked.  I am sure that most fast food establishments don't pay anywhere NEAR minimum wage unless forced to.  They will screw their employees out of benefits without missing a beat, it's all about the corporate profit, ya know?  And as for going to McDonald's?  I haven't darkened their door in 30 years.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I don't count standing at a counter handing me a tray and making me pour my own drink as service.  One of the points of non-sit-down restaurants is no tipping required.  If you don't come to my table to take my order and then return with said order, I'm not tipping you.

Edited to note that I wish restaurants would just pay their employees a decent wage and eliminate tipping altogether.  I'm willing to pay higher prices to avoid having to figure out the tip.  I really like places which just calculate the tip for me.  Yes, I am that math challenged most of the time.

Me too, because there are a lot of people that give good service without being asked, and they don't get tipped.  So, its hard to figure out exactly who you're supposed to tip sometimes.  It would be much easier if no one was tipped and everyone was just paid a reasonable wage.  I go to the salon and they provide a service, but I'm supposed to tip the hairdresser......but I also go to the dry cleaners and they provide a service and I don't think I'm supposed to tip them, right?

• Love 11

In the long version of the Liberty Mutual ad where the twit has the 22 page policy she says "did you read every word? Nope, only lawyers do that."

Shut your fool mouth.  Trust me, I work in insurance and I do understand that Not Reading is an epidemic but let's not paint everyone with the same lazy brush, mmkay?

And her voice!  If I had to have a conversation with this woman I would claw my ears out.  And then sue Liberty Mutual.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

In the long version of the Liberty Mutual ad where the twit has the 22 page policy she says "did you read every word? Nope, only lawyers do that."

Shut your fool mouth.  Trust me, I work in insurance and I do understand that Not Reading is an epidemic but let's not paint everyone with the same lazy brush, mmkay?

And her voice!  If I had to have a conversation with this woman I would claw my ears out.  And then sue Liberty Mutual.

Are we back to eating ice cream out of our skulls?

• Love 3

You've reminded me - When I was on my Road Trip to Philadelphia, I fully intended to go to a Little Baby's Ice Cream store, but the traffic scared me.  When you have a turn signal on to change lanes, why do people take it as a challenge?

• Love 5

The old people with heart disease singing The Sun Will Come Out Tomorrow creeps me the hell out.

That one actually makes me kind of sad. I keep thinking "You poor old man . . . the sun might not actually come out for you tomorrow."

• Love 7
(edited)

I have only read back a few pages so it might have been mentioned already, but what's up with #VolvoWedding? As God is my witness, I was absolutely sure that it was about a funeral, which made no sense at all. I finally saw the fine print # and it still didn't make sense. Creepy and depressing. Which is strange because I loved the Volvo "Feeling Good" commercial.

Edited by SoSueMe
  • Love 5

Okay, so the Volvo XC90 commercials, the series that started with "After the Wedding." Apparently, we are going to enjoy this epic drama in flashbacks. 

Iirc, there was a little confusion after the first commercial ... woman driving, plays a song on the stereo (are they still called stereos? I digress), bearded man sitting behind her smiles and they touch hands (I think, not certain).

Anyway, the next in the series has been playing frequently. Bearded man, with a journal (or possibly the guest book, or a photo album), talking about how life doesn't prepare you for traumatic events, like your daughter getting married. He looks like he's about to cry, and all I can think is ... JEEZ, dude, grow a pair! What a pansy! 

And then I fear that the next commercial will show him in a wheelchair or something, and that's why the woman was driving in the first ad, and I feel guilty for thinking the guy is a total wuss.

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, ennui said:

Okay, so the Volvo XC90 commercials, the series that started with "After the Wedding." Apparently, we are going to enjoy this epic drama in flashbacks. 

Iirc, there was a little confusion after the first commercial ... woman driving, plays a song on the stereo (are they still called stereos? I digress), bearded man sitting behind her smiles and they touch hands (I think, not certain).

Anyway, the next in the series has been playing frequently. Bearded man, with a journal (or possibly the guest book, or a photo album), talking about how life doesn't prepare you for traumatic events, like your daughter getting married. He looks like he's about to cry, and all I can think is ... JEEZ, dude, grow a pair! What a pansy! 

And then I fear that the next commercial will show him in a wheelchair or something, and that's why the woman was driving in the first ad, and I feel guilty for thinking the guy is a total wuss.

Okeydoke....I have only seen the one with the woman (daughter, wife, sister-in-law, who knows?) driving, and the older dude playing with what I thought was his dead wife's wedding ring, lol. I could be wrong but I seem to recall seeing flowers (funeral flowers?) in the back of the car. Apparently I do not possess the necessary sophistication needed to appreciate this commercial. I won't be buying a Volvo anyway :)

Thanks for the heads-up on future installments, :)

• Love 4
(edited)
10 hours ago, RCharter said:

I go to the salon and they provide a service, but I'm supposed to tip the hairdresser......but I also go to the dry cleaners and they provide a service and I don't think I'm supposed to tip them, right?

Okay, so I teach English to people from other countries, and one thing that comes up from time to time is how tipping works in the U.S., and I do my best for the basic things, like 15-20% in restaurants, nothing in places where you aren't waited on, and then they're like, "I heard you're supposed to tip your hairdresser, how much do I tip my hairdresser?"  "What if someone brings you room service in a hotel?"  And I'm like, "I don't know, a few dollars?  Probably more if you go somewhere nice?  I really don't know.  Look, Americans don't even know how much you're supposed to tip the person who cuts your hair."  If my mom hadn't worked in a hotel, I'm sure I wouldn't know that leaving a tip for housekeeping when you check out was a thing, based on people's responses when I mention it.

2 hours ago, SoSueMe said:

Okeydoke....I have only seen the one with the woman (daughter, wife, sister-in-law, who knows?) driving, and the older dude playing with what I thought was his dead wife's wedding ring, lol. I could be wrong but I seem to recall seeing flowers (funeral flowers?) in the back of the car. Apparently I do not possess the necessary sophistication needed to appreciate this commercial. I won't be buying a Volvo anyway :)

Thanks for the heads-up on future installments, :)

That's basically the same confusion everyone else had.  There's very little context in that commercial.  And it isn't the one that happens first chronologically, even though it's the one most people seem to have seen first.  I didn't notice it the first billion times I saw the commercial, but the guy in the front seat is looking at pictures of the wedding in his camera.  So I think you're supposed to figure out from .5 seconds of seeing that that they're coming from a wedding.  They probably deliberately made it confusing to get people talking, but what people are talking about is how stupid the commercials are, not how badly they want to buy a Volvo. 

I also think the people who are apparently the parents of the bride both are the kind of people who could be either 30 or 50 and you wouldn't be surprised to learn either way (even with the dad's graying beard), so if I hadn't heard about it in here, there is NO WAY I would have guessed he was the father of someone getting married.  It would have confused me even more when I saw the lighthouse one. 

Also, I fucking hate that song.  And it was playing in a store I was in last weekend.

Edited by janie jones
  • Love 6