Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

On ‎6‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 9:05 PM, SmithW6079 said:

"30 Rock" ended three years ago. Why are we being subjected to commercials that feature Jack McBrayer and Jane Krakowski? Is it because Jane is on Broadway now? I can't even tell you what they're selling. 

I hated that show, especially that guy who looks like a middle-aged Wayne (from Wayne's World) who still lives in his parents' basement.

There's a Holiday Inn Express ad in rotation I find annoying as hell that features an employee describing the coffee and asking her coworker/boss about it, who answers by playing the air guitar.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, smittykins said:

Hey, did you guys know that on Saturday, Macy's is having a ONE! DAY!! SALE!!!

Oh noes!  I better get down there before the end of the day because this will never happen again.  They will never again sell Charter Club golf tees for 19.99!  Or Alfani luggage for 79.99!  I thought I might visit the sick or volunteer at a soup kitchen today, but clearly I can't miss this once in a month opportunity to get my BeachClub swimwear at 25-50% off!

• Love 12
On June 15, 2016 at 11:13 AM, janie jones said:

I've hated the voiceover guy ever since the infernal "when you were you" commercial.  I would have hated that commercial anyway, but the guy's delivery didn't help matters any.  Now when I see a Mazda commercial, I'm annoyed at his delivery, and I'm annoyed because it reminds me of the "when you were you" commercial.

The guy's voice somehow reminds me of George Clooney, which is definitely not a bad thing if you ask me!  I like the commercial right up to "reminds me of when you were you" which is super annoying!

• Love 1
2 hours ago, AntiBeeSpray said:

I HATE that new Charter Spectrum rap commercial. It makes me want to stuff cotton balls into my ears :D.

I haven't seen it, but rapping in a commercial is almost always terrible.

• Love 5
On 6/14/2016 at 7:27 PM, adhoc said:

Hi, you know all those law office commercials that start with "Have you or a loved one been injured due to talc (or some other product)? If so, call for free legal advice. You may be eligible for a settlement...."?

Those ads have different presenters, but there is one spokesperson I see a lot that totally annoys me. She has long blond hair and looks mean, moreso than helpful and sympathetic.  Her eyes/eyebrows just seem angry. I'm shocked she was chosen for the ad.

That's all I wanted to say. :-)

Evey time I see that commercial I say to myself, Jeez, did you leave any cocaine for the rest of the world?

• Love 7

There is a commercial for Silk almond drink currently in rotation, and I CANNOT get to the remote FAST ENOUGH!   ARGGHHH!

It is some sort of screechy high-pitched instrument (I think!  It couldn't be a VOICE!)  Makes my skin crawl and it goes on forever.  Hey,

Silk?  NEVER gonna buy your product!

• Love 5

I like Tim Gunn ok, but he bugs the shit out of me in that Allstate commercial.   I don't know if it's because it makes no sense for him to be shilling homeowner's insurance or how he's trying to relate it to a suit or what but i just want him off my screen.  If he's going to sell out and do commercials, why isn't he doing one for Red Lobster?

• Love 6
(edited)

He's not going to sell out that hard? It would be awesome if that imaginary commercial costarred Andre, and just featured them having a lovers' spat in a quiet corner of Red Lobster (do they have those)? No selling, no Cheddar Bay biscuits, just a fade to their logo at the end.

Edited by bilgistic
I don't know why the post formatting is wonky.
  • Love 5
11 hours ago, Maverick said:

I like Tim Gunn ok, but he bugs the shit out of me in that Allstate commercial.   I don't know if it's because it makes no sense for him to be shilling homeowner's insurance or how he's trying to relate it to a suit or what but i just want him off my screen.  If he's going to sell out and do commercials, why isn't he doing one for Red Lobster?

I'm no longer a TG fan, but I would love it if he did a commercial for Red Lobster with Andre and Santino.

Or maybe Red Robin can use the idea.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Moose135 said:

Am I supposed to know who that guy is?  Because beyond "spa going asshat" I don't know that I've ever seen him before.

He played an asshat in Pitch Perfect and Pitch Perfect 2.  Not a spa going one, though.  Not that we know of, anyway.

11 hours ago, bilgistic said:

He's not going to sell out that hard? It would be awesome if that imaginary commercial costarred Andre, and just featured them having a lovers' spat in a quiet corner of Red Lobster (do they have those)? No selling, no Cheddar Bay biscuits, just a fade to their logo at the end.

That would be awesome!

2 hours ago, Moose135 said:

Am I supposed to know who that guy is?  Because beyond "spa going asshat" I don't know that I've ever seen him before.

Adam DeVine played Fat Amy's boyfriend in the Pitch Perfect movies, and no, I don't know why I can remember that but am constantly misplacing my car keys.

2 hours ago, Brattinella said:

Yes, you have.  The miniature giraffe as pet guy.

I think you're referring to this ad, Brattinella:

and that guy is Timothy V. Murphy. Unless there's a similar commercial, which is possible, but I actually like this ad because its funny and cute.

• Love 6
(edited)
5 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

He played an asshat in Pitch Perfect and Pitch Perfect 2.  Not a spa going one, though.  Not that we know of, anyway.

That explains it - never saw those movies...although it sounds like he has the asshat part down pat.

Edited by Moose135
  • Love 3
12 hours ago, Maverick said:

I used to like Tim Gunn but something soured me on him. Perhaps it was the slow amping of his Project Runway personality?

1 hour ago, Brattinella said:

Yes, you have.  The miniature giraffe as pet guy.

He played the rich Russian in that ad linked above? He looks so different!

• Love 2

Sorry, I was mistaking the spa-bathroom-with-bear-in-the-tub for spa-going asshat.  They are CERTAINLY not one and the same; asshat is truly an asshat, while bear in the tub and miniature giraffe russian guy is terrific!

• Love 4
On 6/16/2016 at 4:44 PM, Brattinella said:

There is a commercial for Silk almond drink currently in rotation, and I CANNOT get to the remote FAST ENOUGH!   ARGGHHH!

It is some sort of screechy high-pitched instrument (I think!  It couldn't be a VOICE!)  Makes my skin crawl and it goes on forever.  Hey,

Silk?  NEVER gonna buy your product!

I drink Silk, but I finally saw that commercial yesterday.  It's worse than I could have imagined.  I punched a vegan and decided to start drinking that lactose-free dairy milk instead.

• Love 6

That Doritos commercial makes me feel a zesty blend of hate, sadness for humanity, and revulsion dipped in rich, creamy WTF. 

Speaking of revulsion, there's a Promoted Stories ad that keeps showing up at the bottom of these pages offering a gallery of dead celeb pictures. Now most of those little ads are stupid, but the famous corpses one is a bit beyond the pale.

• Love 6
On ‎6‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 9:27 PM, adhoc said:

Hi, you know all those law office commercials that start with "Have you or a loved one been injured due to talc (or some other product)? If so, call for free legal advice. You may be eligible for a settlement...."?

Those ads have different presenters, but there is one spokesperson I see a lot that totally annoys me. She has long blond hair and looks mean, moreso than helpful and sympathetic.  Her eyes/eyebrows just seem angry. I'm shocked she was chosen for the ad.

That's all I wanted to say. :-)

Sometimes I see those ambulance-chaser ads with that individual come right after the 'cure all' stuff pitched and I wonder how long it will be before Miss Ambulance Chaser goes after them, too ?

• Love 2

Hey!  Extra Gum?  Leave "I Can't Help Falling In Love With You" the HELL ALONE!  Don't mess with a song that's already perfect!

Wow I just hate singers to put a "trill" on every single word to make it THEIRS:  GAH!

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, Brattinella said:

Hey!  Extra Gum?  Leave "I Can't Help Falling In Love With You" the HELL ALONE!  Don't mess with a song that's already perfect!

Wow I just hate singers to put a "trill" on every single word to make it THEIRS:  GAH!

That song is Hailey Reinhart's newest single.

20 hours ago, Rick Kitchen said:

That Dorito's ad had me cracking up during the Super Bowl.

19 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

I love that Doritos ad.

That ad makes me laugh. Plus, he spares his wife the pain of a protracted labor. 

I detest the Amazon Fire ads, mostly for Malcolm McDonnell's voiceover of "TV heart" and "TV soul" and "show hole" and whatever other linguistic abominations he utters.

• Love 1
(edited)

So there's the Hebrew National commercial where people are tailgating and one guy flings his hotdog off his grill and it goes into a tuba or whatever, so the couple with the Hebrew National offer them some instead? 

This one bugs me because (I know, I know, it's an ad, they try to make things artificially pretty and it's artificial and we're supposed to go along with it), as the lady offers them some, on her platter of already-cooked hot dogs, about half of them already have perfectly squiggled mustard. 

This is not a thing.

I refuse to accept it.

No one pre-mustards hot dogs on a platter before serving them to others. You condiment yourself. Heck, in most cookout situations I've been in, people mostly don't even put the thing in a bun. There's a platter of cooked hot dogs, a platter of cooked burgers, and buns to the side and you assemble for yourself. But I am willing to accept the potential for dogs-in-buns-on-platter. I do not accept that they would have any reason to add condiments to them before an individual selects one to eat.

Edited by theatremouse
  • Love 13
(edited)
5 hours ago, Brattinella said:

I liked this one at first, but it's definitely been overexposed.  The song just gets on my nerves now, and I no longer care about this couple and their precious, gum wrapper-themed love.

No one pre-mustards hot dogs on a platter before serving them to others. You condiment yourself. 

That last part is cracking me up, because it reminded me of Tobias Funke.

Edited by Amethyst
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, Brattinella said:

This is precisely why I don't give a shit when they make the big announcement about who's singing the National Anthem at the Super Bowl.  The performance is guaranteed to induce eye rolls as the artist averages ten notes per syllable and tries to out-belt the previous year's diva.

• Love 9
52 minutes ago, smittykins said:

OK, I'm probably missing something here, but what family needs to record sixteen TV programs at the same time?

This astounded me when I saw that commercial. Sixteen! I've had maybe four shows conflict at once (I'm looking at you, Sunday night), but the way shows run now, you can record later replays of them. Is this for a family of 25? I just cannot wrap my head around it!

• Love 7
On ‎6‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 1:53 PM, iMonrey said:

Adam DeVine is also in the Comedy Central show Workaholics - that's where I know him from. I agree there is something naturally off-putting about him.

I suddenly realized why he's in that spa ad. It's a tie-in to a movie with him and his friend getting dates for a wedding.

On ‎6‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 10:02 PM, theatremouse said:

So there's the Hebrew National commercial where people are tailgating and one guy flings his hotdog off his grill and it goes into a tuba or whatever, so the couple with the Hebrew National offer them some instead? 

This one bugs me because (I know, I know, it's an ad, they try to make things artificially pretty and it's artificial and we're supposed to go along with it), as the lady offers them some, on her platter of already-cooked hot dogs, about half of them already have perfectly squiggled mustard. 

This is not a thing.

I refuse to accept it.

No one pre-mustards hot dogs on a platter before serving them to others. You condiment yourself. Heck, in most cookout situations I've been in, people mostly don't even put the thing in a bun. There's a platter of cooked hot dogs, a platter of cooked burgers, and buns to the side and you assemble for yourself. But I am willing to accept the potential for dogs-in-buns-on-platter. I do not accept that they would have any reason to add condiments to them before an individual selects one to eat.

I can see her doing that b/c she was making them for her husband and herself, so she knows how they like them. What I hate about that ad is the people sabotaging their own food and then putting the other couple in an awkward position of asking for their food. I mean, it wouldn't be awkward for me b/c I'd tell them to get their own hot dogs.

On ‎6‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 10:31 PM, Cobalt Stargazer said:

Jesus. Fucking. Christ.

That's not the ad I thought it would be. I hate the one with the guy chowing down on his chips and crying about the new flavor being the best thing that happened to him.

• Love 2
24 minutes ago, Ubiquitous said:

I suddenly realized why he's in that spa ad. It's a tie-in to a movie with him and his friend getting dates for a wedding.

Ah - so another asshat role I'll never see him in.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Moose135 said:

Ah - so another asshat role I'll never see him in.

OMG, that movie looks absolutely dreadful.  I realize its aimed at 14 year old boys, but I feel like even they have better taste than the movie is giving them credit for.

I see Razzies in the future for all involved.

• Love 2
On 6/19/2016 at 0:21 AM, erikdepressant said:

This is precisely why I don't give a shit when they make the big announcement about who's singing the National Anthem at the Super Bowl.  The performance is guaranteed to induce eye rolls as the artist averages ten notes per syllable and tries to out-belt the previous year's diva.

Yeah, Whitney Houston knew how to sing the anthem without overdoing it. She was so amazing. Many times during the anthem I've just changed the channel for a couple minutes; sometimes when I switch back they're still singing. Don't they realize it's not about THEM?

After Whitney, the best I have heard is the Dixie Chicks at Super Bowl XXXVII:

• Love 5