Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

I think the takeaway from the Old Navy commercial is. You either wear clothes made in a third world child labor sweat shop. Or you dine with the insufferable brats. The Sophie's choice of the millennial's.

Everyone at that party looked insufferable.  I'll stay home with my sandwich thank you very much!  Or since its Christmas maybe a few tamales....

Oh, and any commercial where a snotty nosed brat is telling me how I need to dress to be accepted is just a big old no.

Edited by RCharter
  • Love 5
And that party looks like it sucks anyways, I would rather stay home, eat a sandwich and snark with you guys (although you'll probably all go to to holiday parties)

One thing you can always depend upon is that PTV won't judge you for your outfit. I could be wearing anything from a designer evening gown to the bunny suit that Aunt Clara gave me for Christmas last year, and y'all would still treat me the same.

• Love 13

One thing you can always depend upon is that PTV won't judge you for your outfit. I could be wearing anything from a designer evening gown to the bunny suit that Aunt Clara gave me for Christmas last year, and y'all would still treat me the same.

or at the very least I would tell you I was judging you for wearing that bunny suit :)  JK

• Love 5

Hell, some of us would even follow you down an internet RABBIT hole.

• Love 3

Two commercials that fry my tool:

1. Children's Hospital. Yep, that's right, their commercial makes me loathe a CHILDREN'S hospital. The voiceover says, "You will never be as strong as a child. Your sense of optimism, hope...never as strong as a child's. Give to Children's Hospital today." Uh...WTF? You've just told me that, as an adult, the only strength I have left is my pocketbook? Yeah, you know what? It sucks when kids get sick. It also sucks when adults get sick. There is no competition for strength and hope, OK? And you want me to give you money? Eat my leek, you jerks.

2. Abby Wambach is doing a commercial for Gatorade (I think? Some kind of sports drink) and she's taking things out of her locker, packing her gear, and says things like "Don't remember me...I want to be gone..." And I'm like, huh? Is she sick? And then she goes on about how she needs to leave the game so people will forget her and the younger generation can have their time. What in f*ck all is THAT?? Uh, the younger generation can play just fine AND you can be remembered, as you friggin' SHOULD BE.

G*damn, I was tired of the youth obsessed culture and ads promoting it when I was twenty. It's gone beyond vanity and is now freaking Children of the Corn creepy. 

• Love 10

I see I am not the only ones who cannot stand the commercials for Children's Hospital especially the part of if you care you will send us money or send your love by donating to us. And lets not forget seeing the commercials over and over again. Don't get me wrong, I hate to see kids sick with terrible diseases or other medical conditions, but please do not overkill it. Yes, I am Miss Humbug.

Oh, wow, I initially thought those posts were about Childrens Hospital the tv series, since it's coming back.  

Whoops. 

That said, those commercials are overkill.  Along with the puppy/kitten shelters with the sad Sarah McLachlan song.  Pity, I love her music but now I'm just associating her with those ads.

• Love 7

2. Abby Wambach is doing a commercial for Gatorade (I think? Some kind of sports drink) and she's taking things out of her locker, packing her gear, and says things like "Don't remember me...I want to be gone..."

No problem. I had to google her name to remind me who she was. No disrespect intended, but soccer is not the right sport to be remembered around here.

• Love 5
There is now a Beneful commercial with a dog slurping his Beneful and "talking" at the same time about how much he loves Beneful. I now hate that disgusting dog.

I have always hated when actors go out of their way to make sure they sound as if they are talking with food in their mouths; it never sounds like a regular person sounds in real life. The weird thing about this is the fact that the word "always" even comes into play because why is this a common enough thing that I can legit say "always" about it?!

I am not a fan of talking with a full mouth but I do get that (A) it happens; even I do it once in a while, and (B) for the sake of realism in movies and TV, sometimes it's necessary. It's just all the worse when the actor can't do it in a way that doesn't seem ridiculously forced. Worse even than when sitcom people swing around coffee cups that I am supposed to believe are full.

The Xfinity ad with the kid who is moving and all his friends basically tell him to fuck off makes me sad.  My kid moved a couple times when he was early twenties and his friends always helped and he always helped them.

There's an Optimum one ("moving's hard") with a guy that calls his friend to see when he'll be there to help, and the friend, who is playing video games, lies that he's on his way. That makes me sad! When my BF moved into my place, all his help but one friend fell through too and I felt awful for him (which was, by the way, why I offered to help pay for movers because what's a little money compared to less moving-related stress? Silly BF did not take me up on it).

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 3

That said, those commercials are overkill.  Along with the puppy/kitten shelters with the sad Sarah McLachlan song.  Pity, I love her music but now I'm just associating her with those ads.

You're not kidding. I'm unemployed right now, and can barely afford the one cat I have(and forget feeding her fancy-schmancy food like Blue Buffalo, she gets Cat Chow). Those commercials get zapped in a millisecond.

• Love 7

The commercials for the life insurance drive me buggy. They cannot afford the insurance, but they have nice houses. Really, if they can afford to have a nice house, but they cannot afford a possible ten dollars a month. Why can't the kids help out and what happens to the house when one or both parents die.

However, since she is married to George Clooney and is photographed all the time she should be getting designer clothes for free.  Or even getting paid to wear them so she can get photographed in them.

This back on the discussion about why George Clooney is doing commercials and needing to support his wife's shopping habit.   It is highly possible that as an attorney she would have ethical issues getting freebies or getting paid to wear them.  

As for the Star Wars commercials, although not on tv, all my fabric stores are advertising Star Wars fabric.   I am kinda looking forward to seeing it.   But I get the complaints about the Star Wars overkill.

• Love 4

The Reverse Mortgage ads with the late Fred Thompson? Need to stop.

I get that the company bought the airtime. I get that at first, there wasn't much to be done. Yet, here we are with the man shilling for a company and he's dead. (He died in October?) Can't there be a moratorium on particular people's ads for a bit? Surely, Mr. Thompson wasn't the only spokesperson.

(If the Thompson family is okay with the ads, then I'm okay. It's just not quite like the Big Dead Earners like Marilyn Monroe, Elvis and Sinatra. They've been gone for some time.)

Edited by Actionmage
  • Love 6

This back on the discussion about why George Clooney is doing commercials and needing to support his wife's shopping habit.   It is highly possible that as an attorney she would have ethical issues getting freebies or getting paid to wear them.  

As for the Star Wars commercials, although not on tv, all my fabric stores are advertising Star Wars fabric.   I am kinda looking forward to seeing it.   But I get the complaints about the Star Wars overkill.

I wouldn't see any conflict unless she had a client that had opposing interests, but maybe...

• Love 1

You're right, RCharter, at least as far as Calif. professional ethics are concerned (& I expect that most jurisdictions are the same concerning this issue). It's not unethical for a lawyer to accept money for doing something that's not illegal, so long as it doesn't conflict with the interests of a current or former client.  

• Love 2

Someone may have already mentioned this, but there's a new Liberty Mutual ad with a guy whining about his insurance company not reassuring him while processing his claim. What do u expect, you big baby, a rep to give you some warm milk and cookies and tuck you into bed?

• Love 4

All of the Liberty Mutual commercials are bad but to me the new one is so, so bad.

The 45 year old cry baby whining that his insurance company didn't ask how he was is the worst. They didn't ask because they don't give a shit you big baby.

I figure they know he's okay because he called them to file a claim. They know what the claim says, and he's whining, so ...

The latest batch of Liberty Mutual commercials all sound whiny. They weren't so bad in the beginning, but now they cry about deductibles and such. The couple with the "perfect" driving record get on my last nerve. And, again, the fine print says that none of these goodies are available in my state so I don't know why I have to endure the ads.

• Love 7

The latest batch of Liberty Mutual commercials all sound whiny. They weren't so bad in the beginning, but now they cry about deductibles and such. The couple with the "perfect" driving record get on my last nerve.

It's really annoying the way the wife says, "And then someone clips a food truck, ruining your perfect record." Since her husband is the only other person there, why is she behaving as if she's telling that story for their friends at a dinner party?

Edited by Cobalt Stargazer
  • Love 9

Hey guys, did you know that Macy's is having a ONE DAY SALE    ONE DAY  ONE DAY !!!!!!!!!!

It's been a joke in my family for a long time. "Hey! Did you know Macy's is having a sale?" Because they make such a big deal about their ONE! DAY! SALE! as if another one won't be happening the next weekend.

Unpopular opinion time: I don't get annoyed by the GEICO Peter Pan because I *know* he's supposed to be annoying, and if I retain awareness of that, it ceases to be annoying for me. However, if I'm watching HULU or YouTube on my computer with earphones in, and the ad comes on, I find his "PHILLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!" annoying because it's a dagger to my ears. Why is that so freaking loud?

Edited by ivygirl
  • Love 1

I think Geico's Peter Pan is loud so that Phil can flinch and cringe.

I'm tired of Marie Osmond and her 50 lbs. With the "new year new you" onslaught of diet ads, and Nutrisystem's new Turbo Ten program ... sigh.

Edited by ennui
  • Love 4

There's a McDonalds commercial with a lady on a motorcycle who pulls up next to a car at a red light. In the car, there's a redhead lady eating an Egg Mcmuffin. She looks like the same redhead who did the  Wendys commercials  last year. Anybody notice that?

Edited by MrsEVH
  • Love 4

I went to the store and on my list was Clementines. The only brand they had was Halos. I bought navel oranges instead. Hate those psychopathic little brats.

That girl who leaves her horse's head in her Dad's bed and creepily combs the mane of her headless horse while Dad frantically loads the cart with Halos...she looks like the villain in a horror movie. Dad better sleep with one eye open from now on!

Edited by Seaheart
  • Love 9

There's a McDonalds commercial with a lady on a motorcycle who pulls up next to a car at a red light. In the car, there's a redhead lady eating an Egg Mcmuffin. She looks like the same redhead who did the  Wendys commercials  last year. Anybody notice that?

I haven't seen that, but I think its 

It's been a joke in my family for a long time. "Hey! Did you know Macy's is having a sale?" Because they make such a big deal about their ONE! DAY! SALE! as if another one won't be happening the next weekend.

Unpopular opinion time: I don't get annoyed by the GEICO Peter Pan because I *know* he's supposed to be annoying, and if I retain awareness of that, it ceases to be annoying for me. However, if I'm watching HULU or YouTube on my computer with earphones in, and the ad comes on, I find his "PHILLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!" annoying because it's a dagger to my ears. Why is that so freaking loud?

LMFAO!  ITS ONE DAY.....catchy music! ONE DAY!  Charter Club Sweaters are  HALF OFF!  Attractive people running around a giant star! ONE DAY!

If you all want a cashmere charter club sweater, or INC blouses you better get to Macy's today.  Or next week, which is when they will be having their next one day sale.

• Love 5

The expression on the face of the woman eating the Egg Mcmuffin, I just want the motorcycle woman to get closer and punch her.  She just looks so smug eating that damn sandwich.

• Love 5

The couple with the "perfect" driving record get on my last nerve.

Mine too. Congratulations on your perfect driving record. Guess what? You got in an accident. Now you don't have a perfect driving record and your rate is gonna go up. Such is life.

• Love 5

My husband has commented that the people on the Liberty Mutual commercials don't understand how car insurance works. And if you get car replacement - you're going to pay more for your policy. I find it interesting that insurance companies, for me, have some of the most entertaining commercials. I enjoy Progressive, Geico, and Farmer's. Dang - I watch too much TV.

• Love 8

I'm too annoyed by the biker chick thinking the other girl is such a cool rebel for eating an Egg Mcguffin in the afternoon.
  • Love 5

My husband has commented that the people on the Liberty Mutual commercials don't understand how car insurance works.

IMHO, that's the whole point of the Liberty Mutual commercials.  People either don't understand how insurance works, or want it to work differently, and Liberty Mutual is the company that's going to solve those problems.

• Love 1

Hey, Liberty Mutual, when I was in a car accident that resulted in a fractured wrist, my insurance agent did ask me how I was. I'm sure a lot of them ask how their customers are, so shut up, Liberty Mutual whiner.

Knowing Peter Pan is supposed to be annoying in those Geico ads doesn't make him more palatable to me. I wish Phil or Joanne would take a fly swatter to the little asshole's sparkly pixie peanut gallery. I mean, Peter Pan does do an excellent job of being annoying, but I feel like the main joke in the ad doesn't quite land. Yeah, Peter never grows up, but why must he be such an insufferable dick who pisses in everyone's punchbowl?

The Big Lots "Christmas doesn't happen without me" song and dance commercial. Lady, the holidays will actually happen with or without you and Big Lots. Also, the song is just terrible.

Why are so many perfume commercials bizarre and/or cheesy? I just saw one with a woman rolling around on the floor practically having sex with the perfume bottle. I think I'll just go on living my unscented life, thank you.

• Love 14

Why are so many perfume commercials bizarre and/or cheesy? I just saw one with a woman rolling around on the floor practically having sex with the perfume bottle. I think I'll just go on living my unscented life, thank you.

When did it get bizarre? :)

I apologize if it's been discussed, but I'm not sure how I feel about Big Lots featuring big girls in their little song and dance. Am I supposed to know who that woman is (because I do live under a rock, thankyouverymuch)? Or are they going for a simple association?

• Love 3

I hate that chick in the Samsung pay ad who says that paying on your phone only works in "fancy grocery stores."

Fuck right off with your stupid self. Do you seriously think you can only use your phone to pay at artisanal stores? Do you live under a rock? And way to be insulting to the clerk standing right there who can HEAR YOU insult her employer. Ass.

(I'm probably saltier than the ad warrants but I'm a Giants fan currently watching them shit the bed so I hate everything)

• Love 5

I apologize if it's been discussed, but I'm not sure how I feel about Big Lots featuring big girls in their little song and dance. Am I supposed to know who that woman is (because I do live under a rock, thankyouverymuch)? Or are they going for a simple association?

ispot says she's Deanna DellaCiappa, whom I've never heard of.

Elsewhere on Google calls her Deanna DellaCioppa.  She's apparently a former contestant on America's Got Talent.

She has 23 credits on imdb as a songwriter and composer for music for various TV shows.

Someone may have already mentioned this, but there's a new Liberty Mutual ad with a guy whining about his insurance company not reassuring him while processing his claim. What do u expect, you big baby, a rep to give you some warm milk and cookies and tuck you into bed?

I so much want to punch that guy.  If I am at the scene of the accident and I am not all right, I hope I have sense enough to not call the car insurance company for medical or psychological support.  If I am bleeding profusely or think I have internal injuries, I think I'll start with 911, mmkay?  And, as NinjaPenguns said, they do typically ask you how you are.  They need t know if there were any injuries.  I've never heard of someone saying they told the insurance company there were injuries and had the rep exclaim, "Fuck me!  Now I have to do extra paperwork, you asshole!"  Who ae the Liberty Mutual people using? 

As for the Macy's one day, one day, one day sale, between the TV ads and the flyers, I cannot imagine how we wouldn't know about it.  Does anyone ever shop there on any other days at this point?  Should they just be open during the sale to save on overhead? 

• Love 8

Macy's actually doesn't have one-day sales, despite their incessant commercials claiming otherwise. The sale is a for a day, but there is a preview day (and often a next-day extension), making it at least a two-day sale. I used to work for May department stores, and we kept the stuff on sale for months at a time, just changing the sale toppers to call it something new (One day sale! Father's Day sale! Summer sale! 4th of July sale! Mid-Summer sale! Pre-inventory sale! Back to school sale!)

• Love 4

As silly as the Macy's One Day Sales are, that strategy must work for them because they've been doing it for years. The same goes for those coupons that are never applicable to anything you actually want to buy.

• Love 2

Nope, it's not just you, WescottF1. Now that I think of it, the songs are strikingly similar.

Funny story about one-day-only sales. My mother and I were having lunch at Dead Lobster adjacent to a mall shortly before Christmas one year. Judging by the number of cars in the parking lot, we feared there would be a long wait for a table, but we were almost immediately seated. When my mother expressed surprise that the restaurant was so empty when the parking lot was so full, our server said, "Oh, this is Day 465 of JC Penney's one-day-only sale."

• Love 7

Is it just me, or does anyone else hear the Macy's music and think it's very similar to the Modern Family theme?

I don't know about that, but the music in the Disoronno by Roberto Cavalli ad sounds like Sail by Awolnation and the music in the Doritos When Pigs Fly commercial reminds me of Personal Jesus by Depeche Mode.

Edited by peacheslatour

And don't forget their preview the day before.  So isn't really a TWO! DAY! SALE!?

• Love 3

And don't forget their preview the day before.  So isn't really a TWO! DAY! SALE!?

Hilarious! I came back here to say the exact same thing!

Absolutely hate this spot for Crest 3-D Whitening strips.  Like throw something at the TV kind of hate.  "I'd say someone's making quite an impression."  Unless this chick is a goddamned tooth model, WTF does her boss care if her teeth are bright white or not???

Yeah I hate this one, too. Why? Why is she making such a great impression? Do whitened teeth get you into the C-suite? Are directors blinded by the glint in her teeth?

On another note: I never thought I'd hear a Flaming Lips song enough to get tired of it. Nor did I ever think I'd hear one on a KMart commercial. And yet.

• Love 2

I really, really HATE the GE commercials about the guy who got hired to be a developer at GE and none of his friends have ever heard of it.

First, maybe because I work in the tech industry, I hate that for the "developer" they cast the most cliched hipster nerd looking actor they could find. i know a lot of developers, and while they may often be nerdy, they are also bright and generally self-aware, unlike this doofus.

Second, and even worse, is that the hipster friends have never heard of GE, probably the original and quintessential American technology company, founded by Thomas Edison, and currently one of the largest multinational corporations in the world. (And owner of NBC, among other huge media holdings that daily impact our lives). When he mentions GE the  bewildered responses of the friends are as badly acted and fake as the entire premise. "Oh, so you're going work on trains?"

I guess the point is supposed to be that GE is flying under the radar compared to other more high profile tech companies. But the commercials don't just make the friends seem uninformed. They're stupid bordering on having brain damage.

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 15