Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

5 hours ago, Automne said:

In the same vein, the Red Baron commercial with two moms attempting to one-up each other, one wearing a patch-covered bomber jacket and pointing to each patch. The other mom is all proud of the fact that her entire family is eating dinner with zero complaints and earns her “Nailed It” wings from the bomber jacket mom. Yeah, well, you fed your family frozen pizza from the grocery store. Very few kids (and kid-like husbands) are going to complain about getting pizza for dinner. I’d settle down with the self-fellating praise there, chief.

My dad and I say the same thing every time we see the commercial. I bet she congratulates herself on feeding her family ice cream too. 

• Love 7

My Sister-in-Law insisted the laundry room be right off the bedroom, upstairs, in their new house. The previous, one-story house had it near the garage, but inside the house, across the living room from the bedroom. She had to schlep the dirty clothes/sheets/towels ALL THE WAY ACROSS THE HOUSE!!!  Some people have it SO hard.

But she doesn't have a SheShed.

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, iHateAmpersands said:

I can't stand those ads for ClearTV that act like watching TV for free is this wild and crazy idea and not something that people have done for many years before paying for TV was the norm.

And being able to pick up "free" TV at sea, where there are no tall buildings to block the signal is some sort of accomplishment.

• Love 3
22 hours ago, Ubiquitous said:

I noticed some new (to me) commercials for shredded cheese which all begin with a brat refusing to eat what they're served, followed by them serving it with cheese or something entirely different to the 9-11 memorial song. Quit giving in to your persnickety brats!

I just saw this one.  When the bratty kid is told she's not leaving the table until she finishes, she crosses her arms and says, "Fine, we'll sleep here".    I could just imagine me saying something like that to my parents as a kid.   I wouldn't be able to sit down for a week.  

• Love 13

My brother-in-law, who is Welsh, says that in his country, where people are given middle names based on aspects of their lives and personalities, my middle name would be Laundry.

That's interesting. So I guess no one gets a middle name in Wales until they're much older. Otherwise there would be a lot of Welsh people with middle names like Poopy Diaper and Colic.

• LOL 9
  • Love 5
12 minutes ago, mmecorday said:

That's interesting. So I guess no one gets a middle name in Wales until they're much older. Otherwise there would be a lot of Welsh people with middle names like Poopy Diaper and Colic.

My cat's official name is Peppermint Schnapps.  But, her nickname is Princess Pepper Poops a Lot.  So, I see no reason Welshman can't have a middle name of Poppy Diaper. If it's good enough for my cat...

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
(edited)
16 hours ago, iHateAmpersands said:

I can't stand those ads for ClearTV that act like watching TV for free is this wild and crazy idea and not something that people have done for many years before paying for TV was the norm.

Depending on where you are, you can't get anything without cable or satellite. Where my SIL lives, all that's available is NBC, CBS, ABC, fox, PBS and 50000 Mexican stations. If she didn't have satellite, she wouldn't have anything to watch. 

Edited by QuinnInND
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Katy M said:

My cat's official name is Peppermint Schnapps.  But, her nickname is Princess Pepper Poops a Lot.  So, I see no reason Welshman can't have a middle name of Poppy Diaper. If it's good enough for my cat...

My cat's official name is Peaches La Tour. Her middle name is Sparkles Plenty. Her street name is Precious Little.

• LOL 5
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, chessiegal said:

My cat won't tell me what her name is, but I suspect it might be Feed Me. I call her Jinglebelle which she responds to. I wonder if it's because she recognizes the name or my voice.

My dad calls my Peaches "Pickles". She answers to it.

• Love 3

When I call out, "Who wants to go out?" both cats come running, even if they've been in a deep sleep. They LOVE going outside, but not for too long.  They know, if they're outside in the summer evening and they hear the Jeopardy! Final them playing, I'll be coming out to bring them home soon, so they come in of their own accord. Don't wanna stay outside when it's coyote time.

• Love 9
4 hours ago, QuinnInND said:

Depending on where you are, you can't get anything without cable or satellite. Where my SIL lives, all that's available is NBC, CBS, ABC, fox, PBS and 50000 Mexican stations. If she didn't have satellite, she wouldn't have anything to watch. 

I'm confused.  Those (plus the CW) are the broadcast networks.  Wouldn't those be the only channels you get anywhere in the US without cable or satellite (aside from the subchannels)?  That doesn't have anything to do with her physical location.

• Love 7
11 hours ago, Tom Holmberg said:
19 hours ago, iHateAmpersands said:

And being able to pick up "free" TV at sea, where there are no tall buildings to block the signal is some sort of accomplishment

Or ginormous trees.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

When I call out, "Who wants to go out?" both cats come running, even if they've been in a deep sleep. They LOVE going outside, but not for too long.  They know, if they're outside in the summer evening and they hear the Jeopardy! Final them playing, I'll be coming out to bring them home soon, so they come in of their own accord. Don't wanna stay outside when it's coyote time.

Are you sure they don't want to test their knowledge?  Final Jeopardy is fun for everyone.

• LOL 12
  • Love 2
59 minutes ago, janie jones said:

I'm confused.  Those (plus the CW) are the broadcast networks.  Wouldn't those be the only channels you get anywhere in the US without cable or satellite (aside from the subchannels)?  That doesn't have anything to do with her physical location.

Minus Fox and CW, that's what we got before cable. It makes me think of Jeff Foxworthy, who had a bit about it: "Kids today have it made. I mean, if they don`t like what`s on television, they have got what, 40 or 50 channels to choose from. Remember how many channels we had when we were kids? Three. And if the president was on, your night was shot. The president`s on! He`s on every channel! We`re going to miss 'Flipper'!" Of course, that was a long time ago, so the number of channels is way more than that now.

(I looked for a video of it, but could not find one. I could only find a transcript of an interview that included the clip.)

• LOL 8
  • Love 2

That Lincoln Navigator commercial with Serena Williams:  it's not Serena who annoys me, it's that creepy sounding song "Make Yourself Comfortable" that I can't stand.  I know it's an old song, I remember hearing it when I was a kid.  However, even though it was sung slowly, it didn't sound creepy like the commercial's version.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, janie jones said:

She knows someone in Pittsburgh who gets 34 channels over the air with an antenna. 

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Brookside said:

Linzess: "Do not give to children under six or children aged six to 18."  Say what?

I say that every time I see that commercial. There has got to be some kind of legalese explanation or something for that phrasing, right?

• Love 4
20 minutes ago, Brookside said:

Linzess: "Do not give to children under six or children aged six to 18."  Say what?

That bugged me too, so I looked it up.  You should absolutely, positively, 100% not give it to kids under 6. It is not known if it is safe for kids 6 to 18.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
52 minutes ago, QuinnInND said:
2 hours ago, janie jones said:

She knows someone in Pittsburgh who gets 34 channels over the air with an antenna. 

On a good day (weather-wise) I get about 50 channels here at 30 miles north of Chicago.
If I had an upstairs apartment, I'd probably have more good days and get a few more channels that I only occasionally get from Milwaukee, like COMET, a sci-fi network.

The antenna has to be in my window; if I was in Chicago, I could probably have it on a wall, or maybe even use one of those smaller antennas that plug into the back of the TV without a cable.
If I had access to the roof and could put up a roof antenna, I could probably get all channels from Chicago and Milwaukee, maybe in bad weather too.

But, yeah, if I move somewhere 50 miles or more away from a major broadcasting city, I'll probably adjust my viewing habits.

So, circling around back to topic:
Even though those commercials for antennas are really annoying, I do occasionally Google the products to see if there's anything new under the sun.
So far, there isn't.

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

On a good day (weather-wise) I get about 50 channels here at 30 miles north of Chicago.
If I had an upstairs apartment, I'd probably have more good days and get a few more channels that I only occasionally get from Milwaukee, like COMET, a sci-fi network.

The antenna has to be in my window; if I was in Chicago, I could probably have it on a wall, or maybe even use one of those smaller antennas that plug into the back of the TV without a cable.
If I had access to the roof and could put up a roof antenna, I could probably get all channels from Chicago and Milwaukee, maybe in bad weather too.

But, yeah, if I move somewhere 50 miles or more away from a major broadcasting city, I'll probably adjust my viewing habits.

So, circling around back to topic:
Even though those commercials for antennas are really annoying, I do occasionally Google the products to see if there's anything new under the sun.
So far, there isn't.

My SIL lives in a major city. But yeah. 

The ads for some flea collar with a lady sitting and reading her book. Her cat is sitting there and a huge flea climbs over and sits down on the couch. Eeeeeekkkkkk!!! 

33 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I do occasionally Google the products to see if there's anything new under the sun.
So far, there isn't.

Me too, I live in Tulsa, in the city, I get about 30 channels over the air that I will watch and about 20 more that I block, religious, Spanish and shopping. I do wish I could get ION, I did in the last place I lived, it was on a hill. And there's a couple of channels in Muskogee I'd like to get, but I don't so that's life. I do have streaming service, but if my nephew is home and using video chat on his phone, that's the end of my movie watching. I just recently put a stop to the video chat nonsense, when he pays the bills, he can have more privileges. And to keep it on commercials - I hate AT&T, the commercials I can ignore, but I hate AT&T. 

• Love 4
9 hours ago, QuinnInND said:

My SIL lives in a major city. But yeah. 

The ads for some flea collar with a lady sitting and reading her book. Her cat is sitting there and a huge flea climbs over and sits down on the couch. Eeeeeekkkkkk!!! 

This is how I pictured this:

• Love 1
15 hours ago, janie jones said:

13 hours ago, QuinnInND said:

I think they're referring to over the air channels, like Buzzr, Comet, Antenna TV, etc.  If you're not near a city, you won't get them.

13 hours ago, Brattinella said:

We are so far away from any large population that we must have cable.  There is nothing closer than fifty miles (big cities a couple hundred miles) and an antenna does not work here.

Ditto.  It's 60+ miles in any direction to hit a city big enough to have a TV station, so antennas don't pick up much here, and those cities don't have any over the air stuff coming out, so we'd be in deep for stuff to watch.  When I was a kid, we had a massive antenna on the roof and on a good day, picked up 5 channels (2 were PBS, and there was no Fox in those days).

• Love 2
3 hours ago, funky-rat said:

I think they're referring to over the air channels, like Buzzr, Comet, Antenna TV, etc.  If you're not near a city, you won't get them.

Like I said, she lives in a major city. The only stations that are available over the air are the ones I mentioned.  None of the classic tv channels there or anything. Just the basic network channels. 

Yeah my dad gets a bunch of channels with only "rabbit ears" inside his house - he lives about an hour from Pittsburg. But I live within 10 miles of a major metro city, and when my cable went out a couple weeks ago, all I could get was the CBS affiliate, the NBC affiliate, PBS and a couple of weird church channels. That's it. 

Topic: there are tons of commercials for cheap internet service and I always wonder how good it can be for like $6 a month or whatever they're charging. 

3 hours ago, Tom Holmberg said:

Where do you keep the second refrigerator, then? :)

Alas, I have no second refrigerator.  I used to keep the freezer I inherited from the previous owners, but it died finally.  It was a Norge.  My electrical bill dropped by half.

• Love 2
(edited)
4 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Yeah my dad gets a bunch of channels with only "rabbit ears" inside his house - he lives about an hour from Pittsburg. But I live within 10 miles of a major metro city, and when my cable went out a couple weeks ago, all I could get was the CBS affiliate, the NBC affiliate, PBS and a couple of weird church channels. That's it. 

If you're within 10 miles of a major city, I'm guessing that you might have been able to receive those few channels without an antenna. Is that correct? If it is correct, you could get one of those antennas advertised on one of those commercials that we all hate, and it would actually work as advertised. You might even get ION during rain, snow, tornadoes, etc.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Nah. By the time the music is playing, Alex has already read the answer, so they wouldn't have enough time.  😉

Besides, cats don't have thumbs, so they couldn't press the buzzer fast enough.

• LOL 9

I sort of want a reality show about the neighborhood in which Sheila's she-shed is burned down. Because what in the hell kind of people live there if a victim of arson (she suspects) is so calm on the phone and says "finally"?

• LOL 7

An ad has been popping up late for (I think) Dunkin Donuts Hershey Coolatta.  A guy says something like "it's what I'd want a dessert island" and a girl tries to grammar shame him by replying "you know it's desert island, right?".  

My issue is that I'm pretty sure the saying is actually "deserted island" which would make them both wrong.  It drives me nuts every time, lol.

• LOL 4
  • Love 7

It’s not just Geico. Progressive, Liberty Mutual, The General... I have never seen so many insurance commercials as I do in this current era. I almost think they’re all in competition with each other for who’s ad agency can be the most creative.

• Love 12
16 minutes ago, kariyaki said:

It’s not just Geico. Progressive, Liberty Mutual, The General... I have never seen so many insurance commercials as I do in this current era. I almost think they’re all in competition with each other for who’s ad agency can be the most creative.

In that case the win goes to Progressive, followed by Geico. I hate how much I like the Progressive commercial when they go over to Jaime's house. Sienta me, mon amor! 

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, leocadia said:

An ad has been popping up late for (I think) Dunkin Donuts Hershey Coolatta.  A guy says something like "it's what I'd want a dessert island" and a girl tries to grammar shame him by replying "you know it's desert island, right?".  

My issue is that I'm pretty sure the saying is actually "deserted island" which would make them both wrong.  It drives me nuts every time, lol.

I always hear it as desert island and wonder why the hell you'd wanna be stranded in a desert with only one CD to listen to, or one book to read, or whatever...  Like this show: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desert_Island_Discs

WTF?

• Love 3
53 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I always hear it as desert island and wonder why the hell you'd wanna be stranded in a desert with only one CD to listen to, or one book to read, or whatever...  Like this show: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desert_Island_Discs

WTF?

Now that it's mentioned, wouldn't calling it 'deserted' imply that it was at least at one time occupied and then abandoned? THat doesn't make a lot of sense in context either. I guess 'unpopulated' island doesn't have quite the same allure to it. Certainly a desert island doesn't make a lot of sense either, it implies that it's just a lump of sand in the water, which probably means a sand bar. 

Hot take: fuck that figure of speech altogether. 

• LOL 8
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, leocadia said:

The Gilligan theme song calls it a desert isle, so I'm going with desert island.

• LOL 5
  • Love 2
56 minutes ago, Katy M said:

The Gilligan theme song calls it a desert isle, so I'm going with desert island.

But it was a tropical jungle, not a desert. 
Is there any closed captioning for Gilligan's Island?
If not, maybe it was a dessert island -- perhaps because families watched the show during dessert after their TV dinners.

43 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Now, if it were a desserted isle, drop me off!  🤣

Yes.

• LOL 6
11 hours ago, leocadia said:

According to Merriam Webster, and they should know: "...the definition [of "desert island"] is simply "an island where no people live," so the desert in desert island is actually an archaic form of deserted: it refers to an island that is uninhabited, not one that is covered with sand (with the obligatory palm tree)."

Though I too wouldn't mind being stranded on a dessert island.

• Useful 3
  • LOL 1
  • Love 7
16 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

I sort of want a reality show about the neighborhood in which Sheila's she-shed is burned down. Because what in the hell kind of people live there if a victim of arson (she suspects) is so calm on the phone and says "finally"?

Yeah, I wondered about that too.  It got hit by lightning, but still.....

6 hours ago, kariyaki said:

I have Erie, and I don't know that I've ever seen a commercial of theirs on TV, so maybe that's one reason they have good rates for good coverage.  They're a great company to deal with as well.

• Love 2