Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

• Start Topic

(edited)

But “also supplies a balanced diet” doesn’t necessarily mean the two items in question are exactly the same; one could still be better than the other. And sometimes it’s what is not in the food. That said, it’s fine to disagree (if that’s even what’s happening — I don’t even actually know). Whatever, it’s all fine and good, really.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 1

My problem with the one Blue dogfood commercial is the woman buying the Blue is so damn smug. Another 54 cents a day is not too much for my (insert dog's name). Yes, let's put a guilt trip on people who would dare to buy anything else.

Standard question I get from any vet I've taken my cats to over the years is "What are you feeding him/her?". That's where I get my food advice.

• Like 9

On the other hand, cats are so finicky you have to pray you can find something they like.  I can't tell you how many brands and varieties I've tried and she turns up her li'l pink nose at all of them except for 2 flavors of Science Diet.  Cat food commercials are a waste.  They can try to influence what you buy all day but the cat has the final word.

• Like 13
  • Fire 2
  • Applause 4
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, Haleth said:

On the other hand, cats are so finicky you have to pray you can find something they like.  I can't tell you how many brands and varieties I've tried and she turns up her li'l pink nose at all of them except for 2 flavors of Science Diet.  Cat food commercials are a waste.  They can try to influence what you buy all day but the cat has the final word.

Amazing how picky the little furballs are considering they turn their noses up at most food & then lick their own ass clean.

• LOL 14
8 hours ago, Haleth said:

My cat loves Little Sheba trout! Try that

• Like 4
23 hours ago, Shrek said:

Amazing how picky the little furballs are considering they turn their noses up at most food & then lick their own ass clean.

Stella decided yesterday that Ritz crackers are a delicious addition to her diet. Usually, the only "people" food she likes is anything with cooked tomatoes - soup, spaghetti sauce... but not ketchup. Now she's sampling crackers. Go figure.

• Like 7
  • LOL 4

This is the long version of the commercial they play incessantly on the streaming channels. They often shorten it in some ways. 

It was ok the first time but when you see it 5 times per hour, the charm wears thin. 

• Like 5
  • Love 2

Ad for Bobbi Brown cosmetics. I like the overall concept, that women should look natural, wrinkles are ok. But she says this blush or whatever takes "a nanosecond to put on."

Really now. You don't need to be ridiculous. Just say it takes a few seconds to put on. Does she know what a nanosecond is?

If it takes a nanosecond to put on, you could put it on every day from the time you are twenty until you are 100, and it would total to 0.0000292 seconds.

• Like 6
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 10
6 minutes ago, dleighg said:

If it takes a nanosecond to put on, you could put it on every day from the time you are twenty until you are 100, and it would total to 0.0000292 seconds.

Haha, that may or may not be how much time I've spent putting makeup on.  Haven't seen that ad yet, but I may have to check out this product.

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

Tonight I kept seeing Target ads featuring people singing almost as badly as the guy in the Burger King commercials, putting stupid and random lyrics to the tune of Michelle Branch's 2001 song "Everywhere."  If it weren't so annoying, I would have put it in the thread about confusing commercials, because I have no idea why they are doing this.

• Like 3

Yeah. I am now in the process of trying to find a “sensitive stomach” one that they like — or at least that I can do a half-and-half with their usual food (which is not Blue Buffalo, should anyone wonder). They don’t like the “pate” texture for some dumb reason, which it seems like most of the sensitive ones are.

On 5/26/2024 at 9:15 AM, Prevailing Wind said:

Stella decided yesterday that Ritz crackers are a delicious addition to her diet. Usually, the only "people" food she likes is anything with cooked tomatoes - soup, spaghetti sauce... but not ketchup. Now she's sampling crackers. Go figure.

I don’t recall all the details at the moment (raw, cooked, canned, sauces…?), but there’s something in tomatoes that’s bad for cats. 

I was curious about that Bobbi Brown makeup because I don’t like a 5-step routine. But I thought it looked pretty sticky in the commercial, which made me think it was probably even stickier in real life. I read some reviews and it seems like it is.

• Useful 2
6 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

I don’t recall all the details at the moment (raw, cooked, canned, sauces…?), but there’s something in tomatoes that’s bad for cats. 

Ripe tomatoes are fine, as long as there are no onions or too much salt included.

• Like 1
19 hours ago, KWalkerInc said:

Tonight I kept seeing Target ads featuring people singing almost as badly as the guy in the Burger King commercials, putting stupid and random lyrics to the tune of Michelle Branch's 2001 song "Everywhere."  If it weren't so annoying, I would have put it in the thread about confusing commercials, because I have no idea why they are doing this.

I'm seeing that too. I can't imagine someone paying an ad agency for that. I was wondering what the song was.

(edited)
14 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Ripe tomatoes are fine, as long as there are no onions or too much salt included.

Yes.

Ripe tomatoes are not toxic to cats. However, cats are considered obligate carnivores, meaning that the bulk of their nutrition needs to be derived from animal meat products. As such, non-meat foods provide relatively little nutrition to cats.

While ripe tomato fruits are safe for cats to eat, tomato plants and unripe fruit are not. The leaves and stems of the tomato plant contain a chemical called solanine, which is toxic to cats, dogs, and horses.

https://www.petmd.com/cat/nutrition/can-cats-eat-tomatoes

Edited by Tom Holmberg
  • Like 3
  • Useful 1

There's one cat food commercial with a guy complaining that his cat won't eat what he doesn't like. Well, the nerve of that cat!

• Like 2
  • LOL 9
48 minutes ago, mmecorday said:

There's one cat food commercial with a guy complaining that his cat won't eat what he doesn't like. Well, the nerve of that cat!

And I think it's a Blue Buffalo cat food ad. Blue strikes again.

I saw another Jardiance ad today with a male lead singer outside a house. They're getting their money's worth out of that jingle.

• Like 2
  • Useful 3
On 5/24/2024 at 8:14 AM, chessiegal said:

My problem with the one Blue dogfood commercial is the woman buying the Blue is so damn smug. Another 54 cents a day is not too much for my (insert dog's name). Yes, let's put a guilt trip on people who would dare to buy anything else.

Standard question I get from any vet I've taken my cats to over the years is "What are you feeding him/her?". That's where I get my food advice.

Exactly.  It's the damned guilt trip which pisses me off so much.

That's pretty much the same conversations I've had with my vets, none of whom have ever recommended stuff like Blue Buffalo.  They're more concerned with how much I may/may not be feeding my cats, not the actual brands.  Except for the cat who had a thyroid condition and needed special food.

4 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

And I think it's a Blue Buffalo cat food ad. Blue strikes again.

I saw another Jardiance ad today with a male lead singer outside a house. They're getting their money's worth out of that jingle.

God, no!  No matter how many singers sing it, it's never going to be anything other than horribly annoying.

• Like 3
  • Fire 1
8 hours ago, Tom Holmberg said:

However, cats are considered obligate carnivores, meaning that the bulk of their nutrition needs to be derived from animal meat products

Well, yeah. Stella gets to lick the almost empty tomato soup bowl - I don't feed her a bowl of soup.  Same with the cracker - it's a treat, not a meal. LOL

• Like 6
  • LOL 1

Where to start on almost every commercial out there?  The ad where the dad is teaching his teen daughter to drive is so bad, it should be banned.  Where does this kid get off sticking her head out the window to talk to friends while she’s driving?  But that’s not the worst part——she sheepishly laughs and so does the father while barely missing a major accident. If that had been me and my dad, he’d have dragged my as$ out of the car and stopped my driving until I could afford my own car.

I hate all the prescription med commercials.  When I was in Europe, I had to get an emergency refill for one of my meds, and it cost 1/4 the amount I pay here.  They spend too much money on their damn commercials, and on huge salaries of the bigwigs. 

I just think companies and ad agencies court the yahoos of this world and subject the vast majority of us to their dumbed down ads.  

• Like 8
  • Applause 6
  • Useful 1
20 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Or they're torturing us.

• LOL 8

Burger King is not backing down with that fucker who can't sing. I only watch a couple of hours of tv per day, to clear my head before bed and sometimes while eating lunch, but I'm still being subjected to this god damned thing 2-4 times per day. I can't switch away from it fast enough but often just run into it on the channels I'm fleeing to. I'm building up some real hatred for that brand which is going to last a long time. 

• Like 6
  • Fire 1
  • LOL 1
12 hours ago, Ghost of TWOP Past said:

I'm still being subjected to this god damned thing 2-4 times per day.

It's the Car Shield ad that gets me, often it'll run twice in the same show and its ungodly long.

• Like 5
On 5/28/2024 at 12:04 PM, chessiegal said:

I saw that one last night, and I think it just might be worse than the first one.  All the pastels!

I hate the commercial for the No.7 face cream.  Using that tired old line “I’ll tell you but I’d have to kill you”, makes no sense in terms of lotion.  Plus, the woman doesn’t look all that great.  And if you want to sell me this product, use models who aren’t old and use massive Botox.  Get some 85 year olds and then show me how your stuff works. 

• Like 7
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1
12 hours ago, KLovestoShop said:

I hate the commercial for the No.7 face cream.  Using that tired old line “I’ll tell you but I’d have to kill you”,

Whenever someone uses that phrase I often say "TELL HIM/HER!!".  That is often followed by reactions of either shock or puzzlement.

• LOL 5
12 hours ago, KLovestoShop said:

I hate the commercial for the No.7 face cream.  Using that tired old line “I’ll tell you but I’d have to kill you”, makes no sense in terms of lotion.  Plus, the woman doesn’t look all that great.  And if you want to sell me this product, use models who aren’t old and use massive Botox.  Get some 85 year olds and then show me how your stuff works. 

I hate this commercial too.  "But I'll have to kill you" isn't as humorous as it was 30 years ago.

• Like 5

Door Dash commercials where someone (usually a woman) tries to exit an uncomfortable situation by saying she needs to do groceries only to have someone say, in an obnoxious sing song voice "Door Dash does groceries so you don't have to".

Ugh.  First, really?  I mean I need groceries right now and the logical thing to do is call Door Dash with my grocery list?  But second the sing song baby voice just pings my last nerve.

• Like 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, Dimity said:

Door Dash commercials where someone (usually a woman) tries to exit an uncomfortable situation by saying she needs to do groceries only to have someone say, in an obnoxious sing song voice "Door Dash does groceries so you don't have to".

Ugh.  First, really?  I mean I need groceries right now and the logical thing to do is call Door Dash with my grocery list?  But second the sing song baby voice just pings my last nerve.

I have no problem with delivery services. They serve a purpose. I needed an OTC med and really was not feeling well enough to drive. Walgreens had delivery, which turned out to be DoorDash. It was much appreciated. But I do dislike commercials with sing songy voices. The Instacart woman who says she's at the nail salon AND the grocery store is the worst.

Edited by chessiegal
  • Like 3
1 hour ago, chessiegal said:

I have no problem with delivery services.

Same.  What irritates me with these commercials is that they act like Door Dash delivering your groceries is an instant thing so sit back and stay in that uncomfortable situation you so desperately want to leave!

• Like 3

Speaking of delivery services I really really hate the line of Uber Eats commercials about people forgetting how to do things.  They are all stupid.

• Like 7
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, tres bien said:

Nutrafol. I would like to see one person male or female advertising this stuff that doesn't have a full head of hair 

Well, they are showing the "after" taking Nutrafol. I asked a dermatologist I saw for another reason about Nutrafol. She gave it a thumbs up, with the caveats that 1) it's expensive, 2) the pills are huge, and 3) it takes about 3 months to work. She said it works for over 80% of users.

• Useful 7

The whole (possibly unconscious) double entendres of Richard Karn's ad for "my hose" really bug me.

It's like he's trying to be the ShamWow guy. And no one should aspire to be the ShamWow guy. 

• Like 3
  • LOL 9
On 5/31/2024 at 11:16 AM, chessiegal said:

I have no problem with delivery services.

I see this one commercial just about every commercial break with a couple who turned their apartment into a farm so they could get fresh food like so-and-so delivers, but it's full of livestock and has sprinklers running and OMFG it makes so annoyed to see these morons on their couch wearing raincoats watching a TV that's shorting out!😠

• Like 4
2 hours ago, HyeChaps said:

OMG! There's Bobby Flay grilling and dancing!  Then he drinks a Pepsi.

That commercial makes me smile. The first time I saw it, I was, hey, there's my boyfriend Bobby! (Don't judge.)

• LOL 2

Paid programming ads. Thirty minutes (?not sure, never watched one) of inanity. They must be selling these products or they would not be buying the air time. Sometimes the ads are misidentified in the television listings and that’s not ethical, imho. 

• Like 4

I hate the ads that take up, like, an entire commercial break that come off more like one of those infomercials, just shortened up. Like they're trying to sneak an infomercial in under the guise of a commercial. Which also shouldn't be allowed. 

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
8 hours ago, Annber03 said:

Which also shouldn't be allowed. 

Why? There's nothing illegal about it that I know of (otherwise they wouldn't do it).  On commercial channels, ads pay the bills. If a channel chooses to fill its 2-5 minutes of ad time with 5 ads or one, that's their choice. I tune to a channel to watch a show, not the ads. I know on some channels I watch, like COZI, I'm likely to see ads that annoy me (Honeylove bras, every commercial break), but that's the way it is unless I record the show and ff through the ads. I'm not going to do that. The only time I record a show is when 'll not have the tv on for whatever reason.

• Like 4

They are obnoxious but I’m not sure that extra long commercials that seem like infomercials should not be allowed. The problem is that these ads go on and on and I don’t know if the TV listing has the timeslot misidentified. I might be misled into sitting through an actual infomercial for an extended period when I think it is a regular commercial slot. Maybe there could be some kind of a ticker that says when the commercial ends? Like on Netflix.

I know that advertising revenue finances the programs that I like to watch. I wish there was a device to automatically mute commercials but then there goes free TV!

• Like 5

There's a commercial for Kleenix playing with a man making loud obnoxious sniffling and gurgling sounds as he stands over food at a picnic that annoys the hell out of me because he just stands there contaminating everything instead of stepping away to take care of his nose problems. Yuck!

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 2
  • Applause 1
20 hours ago, Browncoat said:

The ad for Wegovy that uses the anthem song, "This Is Me" from The Greatest Showman annoys me to no end. 

What annoys me about that commercial is the woman who says she's kept the weight off.  Sure, honey, that's because you're still taking Wegovy.  The commercial's fine print points out that people who stop taking it generally regain weight.

9 hours ago, Gharlane said:

There's a commercial for Kleenix playing with a man making loud obnoxious sniffling and gurgling sounds as he stands over food at a picnic that annoys the hell out of me because he just stands there contaminating everything instead of stepping away to take care of his nose problems. Yuck!

I think the point of the commercial is that it's allergies so he's not spraying germs everywhere, but still, YUCK!  (As someone who has sinus issues, I can say that my sniffling, etc. isn't going to contaminate your food, but I try to step away because I know it sounds terrible.)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1