Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

The Xfinity commercial where the guy moves his family out to the country to get fresh air or whatever. He cuts down all these trees and it must have taken days, why does his daughter scream bloody murder when he cuts down that last one?

• Like 4

I can't stand the one with Melissa McCarthy for Booking.com, I think because the actors' physical resemblance and the arms outstretched "twirl", the bad group dancing and lip synching remind me of the previously discussed Jardiance ad.  Plus I don't like Melissa McCarthy.

• Like 13
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 2
48 minutes ago, Leeds said:

I can't stand the one with Melissa McCarthy for Booking.com, I think because the actors' physical resemblance and the arms outstretched "twirl", the bad group dancing and lip synching remind me of the previously discussed Jardiance ad.  Plus I don't like Melissa McCarthy.

Aww... How can anyone not like Sookie?

(edited)
32 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

Me apparently, perhaps because I don't know who Sookie is 🙂.  (And all Google is giving me is a vampire who doesn't look like either of them.)

Edited by Leeds
  • LOL 3
5 hours ago, Leeds said:

I can't stand Melissa McCarthy's husband either 

8 hours ago, Leeds said:

Me apparently, perhaps because I don't know who Sookie is 🙂.  (And all Google is giving me is a vampire who doesn't look like either of them.)

McCarthy played "Sookie" on "Gilmore Girls".  I liked her in that role, but not much in her subsequent parts.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

That stupid Jardiance ad is carpet bombing the channels I watch lately. It seems to be on in every break. It's really annoying in that it goes against the golden rule of theater, something like, if a gun is introduced in the first act, someone must use it by the final act. Don't sing about the 'big story to tell', then say nothing about that story. Irritating, and stupid. 

And these singing/dancing ads are all annoying, a big tune-out factor for me. Especially the ones where animals are doing so. Hey advertisers, once and for all: Animals cannot speak!! Nor can they sing or dance!!! It ain't the least bit cute to watch. 

• Like 6
  • Applause 1

I find Flo, Jamie and the gang annoying enough on a regular basis, but that Barbie movie tie-in with Jamie ranting about insuring the Dream House...  I just want to slap him.  Hard.

• Like 5
  • Applause 3
  • LOL 6

I hate the Citizens Bank ad where people are trying to use money who have never actually *seen* money before, because when we were on vacation last week, nearly every store charged a surcharge if you used any type of card.

Cashless society or surcharge, can’t have both!

• Like 7
(edited)

I have no idea who the Trivago guy is, other than the one who used to do all their commercials until he got popped for a DUI.  Is he back? (I can't find a recent commercial online.)

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 4
On 7/14/2023 at 1:01 AM, chessiegal said:

Aww... How can anyone not like Sookie?

From Jersey Shore

11 hours ago, Bastet said:

I have no idea who the Trivago guy is, other than the one who used to do all their commercials until he got popped for a DUI.  Is he back? (I can't find a recent commercial online.)

I was not aware of him getting a DUI.

• Like 2
17 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I like the Trivago guy. I think he's quite attractive so I'm glad to see him back. 

Yeah but I don't buy that front desk clerk would tell him his much cheaper bill right next to another customer who paid more. They know that'll only lead to screaming until the customer gets the same price he did. They'd make him waiting until the lady's done or have him pay further down where she can't hear.

• Like 5
7 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

Yeah but I don't buy that front desk clerk would tell him his much cheaper bill right next to another customer who paid more. They know that'll only lead to screaming until the customer gets the same price he did. They'd make him waiting until the lady's done or have him pay further down where she can't hear.

Now THAT I absolutely agree is stupid, ridiculous and would not happen in real life.

• Like 3
On 7/6/2023 at 5:19 PM, Crashcourse said:

Those two actors from The Office don't make me want to run out and get a box of Honey Nut Cheerios.  😐

I've been eating Cheerios since I was just a little Moose, so I don't care much either way about the commercials. Of course, given it looks like they are having breakfast together at home, my first thought was 'When did Stanley and Phyllis start sleeping together?'

• Like 2
  • LOL 8

I am seeing a constant barrage of ads for Colonial Penn Insurance - they are lengthy as commercials go and the acting is worse than any high school production I've ever had the chance to see.  So, so bad.  

• Like 8
  • Applause 1
4 hours ago, Laura Holt said:

I am seeing a constant barrage of ads for Colonial Penn Insurance

You mean for the whole life policies? Whole life is just as useless as those fraudulent car warranties. Everyone will eventually die. Everyone. There is no way insurance companies are risking not being profitable so you can bet any benefits being paid are much abbreviated for much longer than usual. 

• Like 4
(edited)

I'm having a difficult time with commercials featuring vocalists who deliberately sing off-key.   Melissa McCarthy's Booking.yeah Commercial, any and every Burger King Commercial, the Cologuard commercial ...  They make me want to physically hurt someone.

Obviously ad agencies have settled upon off-key singing as a strategy -- it gets attention, so what if it's negative attention.  But IMHO it's nothing short of abuse, especially given the heavy rotation of these spots.   It's like psy-ops where the military tries to break enemy captives by playing music they find offensive.

The logic of how this translates to increased sales eludes me.

Edited by millennium
  • Like 7
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 5
(edited)
On 7/14/2023 at 12:12 AM, Leeds said:

Is it wrong to say I find watching this woman dance unappealing? 

Edited by millennium
  • Like 1
  • Fire 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
33 minutes ago, millennium said:

As for the Melissa McCarthy "as long as they have CHILD CAAAAARE!" spot ... what kind of mother takes her kids on vacation only to dump them in child care?

Gee, thanks, mom.

I hadn't seen it, so my instinctive reaction was to think she was talking about using hotel-provided childcare for a night or two while the parents go out during a family vacation (like using babysitters at home for date nights), but I looked it up and she's never shown with kids other than in one scene -- otherwise it's just her.  If you want a getaway vacation, leave the kids with their other parent or grandparents and take one of those, then there's no need for childcare.  If you need childcare, that means it's a family vacation, so shouldn't the kids be part of more than one vignette?  Odd commercial.

• Like 5
(edited)

While I sympathize with any mama who goes on vacation with children (mama needs a break), I doubt Melissa McCarthy has trouble finding time away from her kids.

I saw another ad with the Trivago guy last night, the one with the football fans that was in rotation a loooong time ago.  Wonder why they dredged that one up.

Edited by Haleth
  • Like 2
(edited)

The Inscents Fountain commercial makes me want to scream. The testimonials, all by young women, are so ridiculous I hope they got paid well 

Edited by tres bien
  • Like 2
  • Fire 1
(edited)
14 hours ago, millennium said:

As for the Melissa McCarthy "as long as they have CHILD CAAAAARE!" spot ... what kind of mother takes her kids on vacation only to dump them in child care?

Gee, thanks, mom.

I'm fine with that.  My question about it was "Does Melissa McCarthy even have children?".

Edited by proserpina65
  • Like 1
34 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I'm fine with that.  My question about it was "Does Melissa McCarthy even have children?".

Yes.

Melissa McCarthy and Ben Falcone are the proud parents of two daughters, Vivian, 16, and Georgette, 13. The comedy duo prefer to keep their children's lives private and do not share photos of their daughters on their social media accounts.

• Like 3
  • Useful 2
On 7/18/2023 at 9:59 PM, millennium said:

Gee, thanks, mom.

Cruises have kids clubs so I can understand where she might be coming from. Parents might want to have a nice dinner or Mom might want to get a massage where kids aren't allowed.

• Like 3

I've never been able to muster empathy for folks who choose to have children and then complain that they "need a break from them."   Which also contributes to my disdain for the Melissa McCarthy commercial.

I come from a family of five children, born at a time when most families I knew had 5 kids or more.   Parents back then didn't ditch their kids in vacation child care or bond over being "wine moms," etc.   They loaded up the station wagon, hit the highway and went north to Cape Cod, Rhode Island, New Hampshire, or Maine for one or two weeks at the beach, dragging the caravan of kids down to the shore every day, with pails, chairs, beach umbrella, beach blankets, cooler, etc.   It was a lot of work, and if they thought it sucked they never let on.

• Like 7
  • Fire 1
  • Love 1
(edited)
3 hours ago, millennium said:

I've never been able to muster empathy for folks who choose to have children and then complain that they "need a break from them."

While I've never wanted and thus never had children, there are numerous things/pets/people I want and love dearly, but there's not one of them I feel the need to spend 24/7 with.  When I'm gone, someone needs to provide the care I usually provide.

People need to spend their time doing a variety of different things, so when kids are young enough to need constant supervision, it shouldn't be one person doing it all the time; parents - let's be real, mothers, as they're still the ones doing the overwhelming majority of the work when it comes to kids - need breaks.  So if part of that is wanting to choose a hotel for a family vacation that provides a childcare center or a list of vetted and recommended babysitters so they can have an adults-only night during the trip just as they do at home when they have a babysitter for the night, I have zero issue with that. 

I just find it incredibly odd that's not what the commercial depicts; she's alone other than one fantasy segment.  Her partner isn't even there - other than playing the gardener in one vignette, which is just a meta thing for those who know the actor; we don't see his face at the end when we go back to butt-pinching reality to know it's the same guy just from the commercial - until we get back to the reality from which she's wishing for a vacation, any vacation -- it's all single vacations. 

Nothing wrong with that (most people with a spouse and kids I know take family vacations mostly, couple vacations mixed in, and each take far less frequent single/with friends vacations), but it's why the commercial doesn't make sense -- if what she's fantasizing about is the various ways she could have some ''Me Time" away, then the kids would be at home with Dad, and childcare wouldn't be something to look for in picking a hotel because there's no need.  By noting childcare as an amenity the company can screen for, it makes no sense to have her fantasies to be of just her, as that would indicate a family vacation -- unless she intends to spend the entire vacation without them, which does indeed make her suck.  They don't seem to have thought this one through.

Simply the concept of childcare on vacation is nothing to clutch pearls over, but this particular commercial is oddly muddled on what that means.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 8
  • Fire 1

I'm not saying children and parents should be chained at the ankle -- certainly all of us, including parents (and especially moms) need time to ourselves.   But the point of the commercial is that Melissa McCarthy doesn't care where she stays, even if it's a treehouse, as long as she can vacation while somebody takes her kids off her hands.   She seems to have zero concern that she'll find a vacation spot where she and her kids will have a great time and create the kind of memories that will last a lifetime.  Screw that, gimme child care.

A vacation isn't a vacation for a mom when the kids are there.  Simple as that.  She's still primarily responsible for their care and it can be even more stressful away from home.  (I was always glad to get home so I could relax after a vacation.)  A resort that has childcare, allowing parents to decompress on a night out alone in a godsend.  Still, I'm sure Melissa McCarthy had plenty of help with her kids so she and her husband could get away.

• Like 5
10 hours ago, millennium said:

I'm not saying children and parents should be chained at the ankle -- certainly all of us, including parents (and especially moms) need time to ourselves.   But the point of the commercial is that Melissa McCarthy doesn't care where she stays, even if it's a treehouse, as long as she can vacation while somebody takes her kids off her hands.   She seems to have zero concern that she'll find a vacation spot where she and her kids will have a great time and create the kind of memories that will last a lifetime.  Screw that, gimme child care.

Eh, I take it as there needs to be child care so that at least part of the vacation is some alone time.  Which even the most devoted parents need sometime.

• Like 5

Yeah, the commercial isn’t actually about her, it’s about the target demographic. Because if Melissa’s kids are 16 and 13, they don’t need a babysitter for a few hours out in the evening. 

• Like 4
On 7/16/2023 at 6:34 AM, mojoween said:

I hate the Citizens Bank ad where people are trying to use money who have never actually *seen* money before, because when we were on vacation last week, nearly every store charged a surcharge if you used any type of card.

Cashless society or surcharge, can’t have both!

Really?  Around here it's all "put away your poison dollar bills!  We only take good American plastic!"

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
10 hours ago, Haleth said:

A vacation isn't a vacation for a mom when the kids are there.  Simple as that.  She's still primarily responsible for their care and it can be even more stressful away from home.  (I was always glad to get home so I could relax after a vacation.)  A resort that has childcare, allowing parents to decompress on a night out alone in a godsend.  Still, I'm sure Melissa McCarthy had plenty of help with her kids so she and her husband could get away.

Yes!  There’s vacation, and there’s family trip. Not the same thing!

• Like 7
1 hour ago, dleighg said:

The "my name is Barbara, and I'm a registered nurse" ad for Balance of Nature. Now, most Balance of Nature ads are annoying, but this one especially. She's talking about how awesome this product is, but she has as much energy as a sloth. She acts much older than people I know of her (apparent) age, while extolling how BoN lets her live her best life

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/1eUU/balance-of-nature-barbara-nutrition

Some of the people touting the miracle benefit of this stuff claim they've been taking it for as long as 20 years.  I'm calling BS on the whole thing 

• Like 9
1 hour ago, dleighg said:

The "my name is Barbara, and I'm a registered nurse" ad for Balance of Nature. Now, most Balance of Nature ads are annoying, but this one especially. She's talking about how awesome this product is, but she has as much energy as a sloth. She acts much older than people I know of her (apparent) age, while extolling how BoN lets her live her best life

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/1eUU/balance-of-nature-barbara-nutrition

You should see her when she's not taking it!

• Fire 1
  • LOL 17

I don't know the name of the medicine it starts with an M and it's for diabetes. It's advertizing how with it you can do diabetes differently. You can't do diabetes differently and it's irresponsible to try an say you can with a pill. I know people who do try to do diabetes differently usually when they first get it and it doesn't work. I don't like the commercial trying to say you can. You just can't do it differently.

I don't know if it's the same commercial or Walgreens commercial or something else but there's a voiceover asking a doctor or Walgreen pharmacist if sweets are off the table who tells him that with proper management nothing is off the table. Ah, that's most definitely not true. While you can have some sugar (depending on which kind you have and how bad it is) and can do the numbers to have some sweets. There's a difference between having a chocolate chip cookie and a chocolate chip cheese cake or chocolate chip cookie dough layered sundae from Baskin Robbins. It's irresponsible of her to tell him that. He's going to think he can have whatever he wants when he can't. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
9 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

It's Mounjaro. It's taken as a supplement to your regular diabetes treatment.  My SIL is on it and for once, the tale that diabetes drugs can help you lose weight is actually true.  Her A1C is at a fabulous level. 

Really? That's great!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
(edited)

And now I have that stupid Jardiance jingle stuck in my head!  Ack!!  God, I hate that commercial.  Why is it a big production number?  Why is she singing and dancing?  Why does she change clothes?  What the hell is the big story Jardiance has to tell?  Is it 1001 Arabian Nights?

Taking the rest to small talk.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Like 7
  • LOL 3
18 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

And now I have that stupid Jardiance jingle stuck in my head!  Ack!!  God, I hate that commercial.  Why is it a big production number?  Why is she singing and dancing?  Why does she change clothes?  What the hell is the big story Jardiance has to tell?  Is it 1001 Arabian Nights?

Taking the rest to small talk.

We've got company who walked into the room when the Jardiance commercial was on and said - why are these people dancing? I told him he had lots of company wondering the same thing. 😅

• LOL 10