Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

18 minutes ago, janie jones said:

I don't see that as as one where a kid is getting away with doing something bad because it's cutesy. I think he's supposed to be a brat.

Exactly - he's part of the guy's bad morning.

• Love 10
3 hours ago, susannah said:

As I said, I haven't seen the ad, but a kid hitting an older neighbor in the head with a snowball is not being "childish," it is being rude and disrespectful. Kids shouldn't get passes for wrong behavior because they are kids. I still would like to know what the scenario would have to do with orange juice!

Agree. What's the message? Kids should be allowed to be jerks to whomever they want, particularly adults?  It's "cute?" This kid appears to be at least pre-teen.  This is how he's been raised? On top of just throwing it period, he hits the man in the head ffs.  "Yeah this is a great model for kids! Maybe it'll start some Tik Tok challenge!"  

• Love 4
On 2/9/2022 at 8:56 AM, dleighg said:

some HUGE markets (New York State for one) just legalized sports betting via app. Thus we are inundated.

It makes me feel like the world just got skeevier, where seedy activity that was once the province of backroom "bookies" has now found its way into my living room -- every commercial break, on TV and radio.

Edited by millennium
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, PamPamPam said:

Agree. What's the message? Kids should be allowed to be jerks to whomever they want, particularly adults?  It's "cute?" This kid appears to be at least pre-teen.  This is how he's been raised? On top of just throwing it period, he hits the man in the head ffs.  "Yeah this is a great model for kids! Maybe it'll start some Tik Tok challenge!"  

After seeing it, I thought that it was showing the kid to be a brat, contributing to the man's bad morning, not cute. I think there are tons of ads that show kids doing things that shouldn't be acceptable to parents, whether it is kids telling their parents what they will or won't do, making deliberate messes, this one, etc. Too many. Good parents teach their kids what is right and wrong about what they see. I think the problem is more that there are too many parents who don't, for real, than stupid ads.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, PamPamPam said:

I'm pretty sure the message is "Life is tough. People have bad days."

• Love 13
4 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

They are really pushing it like a drug 

it's going to ruin a lot of people, financially, I fear 

People are responsible for their own choices. No one forces anyone to gamble, no matter how many ads they show.

I have another ad that is too stupid. I think it is for UberEats or something, a food delivery. A Kardashian looking woman finds lipstick and a makeup brush in the box and eats them. What is even more stupid is that there is actually a disclaimer that the makeup items are props and are not edible!

• Love 2
20 hours ago, susannah said:

I really dislike that ad too, with the mother breaking through the wall. I wouldn't think the girl should be taking the boy to her room at all, let alone finding them all cuddled up on her bed. I just wonder why people are so anxious to be on tv that they will appear in these stupid ads, of which there are so many!

The kids weren't cuddled up or all that close to each other until she broke through the wall.  The girl is leaning against the wall at the head of the bed and the boy is sitting on the side.  Both are reading.  So they actually do seem to be studying together when mom decides slamming a hole in the wall makes more sense than opening the door.  Whatever happened to the TV trope of mom bringing the kids a snack while they're studying?  

• Love 3

I just saw a T-Mobile commercial that says something about "[whatever thing] makes as much sense as playing hide & seek in the desert." It shows a bunch of people trying unsuccessfully to find hiding spots in the barren, flat expanse of said desert. The lady who is "it" opens her eyes, looks around surprised that she can see them all, and says exasperatedly, "Really, guys?!" as if the other people are so stupid. But she presumably was aware of her surroundings before she agreed to play the game, so why the attitude?

I really dislike that ad too, with the mother breaking through the wall. I wouldn't think the girl should be taking the boy to her room at all, let alone finding them all cuddled up on her bed. I just wonder why people are so anxious to be on tv that they will appear in these stupid ads, of which there are so many!

I have never understood the idea of a boy not being allowed in a girl's bedroom. It seems kind of ridiculous. I mean, I am aware of the reason behind it and all, but come on--a teenage girl should be allowed to hang out in her room when she has someone over (maybe just ask her to leave to door open or something?).

But as to the "anxious to be on tv" question, I assume that people hoping to make a career of acting generally accept the acting jobs that come along?

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 8
6 hours ago, PrincessPurrsALot said:

The kids weren't cuddled up or all that close to each other until she broke through the wall.  The girl is leaning against the wall at the head of the bed and the boy is sitting on the side.  Both are reading.  So they actually do seem to be studying together when mom decides slamming a hole in the wall makes more sense than opening the door.  Whatever happened to the TV trope of mom bringing the kids a snack while they're studying?  

Maybe they were reading, but I still don't think it is a good idea to let kids study in a bedroom, on the bed.

5 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

I have never understood the idea of a boy not being allowed in a girl's bedroom. It seems kind of ridiculous. I mean, I am aware of the reason behind it and all, but come on--a teenage girl should be allowed to hang out in her room when she has someone over (maybe just ask her to leave to door open or something?).

Seriously?

• Love 6
11 hours ago, susannah said:

UberEats or something, a food delivery. A Kardashian looking woman finds lipstick and a makeup brush in the box and eats them. What is even more stupid is that there is actually a disclaimer that the makeup items are props and are not edible!

Jennifer Coolidge WAY outdates the Kardashians, but I digress.

That was a preview of a series of Super Bowl ads that they are going to run showing that Uber Eats isn’t just for food delivery and I am APOPLECTIC.

If you don’t want people eating lipstick, DON’T FUCKING SHOW PEOPLE EATING LIPSTICK.  For fuck’s sake.

Can’t WAIT for the one where Gwyneth Paltrow eats a Goop candle.  (sarcasm hopefully fully implied)

• LOL 9
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

Seriously, and for a variety of reasons. 

That boggles the mind, and getting off topic anyway.

4 hours ago, mojoween said:

If you don’t want people eating lipstick, DON’T FUCKING SHOW PEOPLE EATING LIPSTICK.  For fuck’s sake.

I would hope people have the brains not to do that, whether they see it on tv or not, but whoever knows.

• Love 3
11 hours ago, mojoween said:

That was a preview of a series of Super Bowl ads that they are going to run showing that Uber Eats isn’t just for food delivery and I am APOPLECTIC.

I just listened to a discussion of this ad from the marketing side.  The take away is that they're trying to let people know that UberEats isn't just food anymore.  Love it or hate it, many people will never forget that message now. 

• Love 1
8 hours ago, susannah said:

That boggles the mind, and getting off topic anyway.

Eh, it’s a tomato, tomahto thing, I guess. It boggles my mind that the commercial lady and people like her seem to assume that their kids are going to immediately get naked the second a member of the opposite sex enters the room (while the parents are home, no less). I get that it’s a common worry that a kid is going to do something before they’re “ready,” but I personally would not want to give my kid that message (ie, you’re untrustworthy, have no will power, you’re “loose” [not that I’d ever actually use that term!], and you don’t deserve any privacy in your own home. (Haha, and if the kids are bold enough to do it while the parents are right there, you can pretty much guarantee they’ve done it before!)

I would HOPE that no one would decide that lipstick looks good to eat because of that commercial, haha! Though I recall reading something once about the crazy amount of lipstick people actually ingest over a lifetime! Is there a “do not do this at home” disclaimer on the lipstick commercial?

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 8
3 minutes ago, cynicat said:

The take away is that they're trying to let people know that UberEats isn't just food anymore.

It sounds like they screwed up in the naming department. Remember when Amazon just sold books? But Bezos named the company with a more expansive future in mind.

• Like 1
  • Love 5
6 minutes ago, cynicat said:

I just listened to a discussion of this ad from the marketing side.  The take away is that they're trying to let people know that UberEats isn't just food anymore.  Love it or hate it, many people will never forget that message now. 

The article I read said the same thing, and I totally get that.  My main issue, really, is that it’s GROSS.  

• Love 2
2 hours ago, mojoween said:

The article I read said the same thing, and I totally get that.  My main issue, really, is that it’s GROSS.  

Understood. It's memorable but that does nothing to change the annoyance factor.  I thought it was an interesting take  and it seemed like as good a place as any to share. 😉

• Love 2

The kids in that Discovery+ commercial are fully clothed (right down to their shoes) and are sitting up; I'm not worried about them.  The mom says something about "Well, if you're not going to keep the door open" (which begs the question why she didn't just open the door instead of wrecking her wall, but of course the whole point of that series of ads is exaggerated scenarios about how you can binge your favorite show - in her case, Property Brothers - to your heart's content, until you basically turn into the person you're watching), so it seems that's the usual rule in the household, which was a common one when I was their age, but that was a very long time ago.

• Love 5

I hate this new Allstate commercial. 😡

• Fancy multi-tiered cakes are assembled after reaching the destination, not before!
  • You're not sppsed to transport mirrors on the roof of your car.
  • Transporting the science project volcano while it is filled with "magma" is stupidity on the mother's part.

• Love 11
40 minutes ago, Gharlane said:

Fancy multi-tiered cakes are assembled after reaching the destination, not before!

I'm not sure about this. I used to watch Ace of Cakes with Duff Goldman and they often transported multi layer cakes. The thing that bugged me though is that they were never covered with anything, just put in the back of the van, where dust or dirt could get on them.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, susannah said:

I'm not sure about this. I used to watch Ace of Cakes with Duff Goldman and they often transported multi layer cakes. The thing that bugged me though is that they were never covered with anything, just put in the back of the van, where dust or dirt could get on them.

That's done for reality TV drama. Would you risk a tower cake for someone's wedding, for example, fall over and onto the ground?

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Gharlane said:

That's done for reality TV drama. Would you risk a tower cake for someone's wedding, for example, fall over and onto the ground?

It may have been reality tv but he was also showcasing his bakery.. I'd imagine that having cakes that didn't make it to destination wouldn't be that good for business. I googled this and it seems like transporting assembled is the choice of many bakers, and others don't.

On those larger tier cakes, they don't just plop layers on with nothing but icing in-between. They use dowels between the layers to keep them stable.

That said, the point I get from the commercial is if you are a safe driver, driving carefully enough to not knock over a cake, spill a volcano, you're a candidate for discounts with Allstate. More metaphors from Allstate.

• Love 2
Just now, chessiegal said:

That said, the point I get from the commercial is if you are a safe driver, driving carefully enough to not knock over a cake, spill a volcano, you're a candidate for discounts with Allstate.

Unless they live where there are no potholes, speed bumps, or unexpected braking (e.g. from some idiot pulling out in front of them), the speed at which they'd have to drive in order to keep those things from toppling/sloshing is so slow they'd actually be a menace to other drivers, not a safe driver.  I know it's exaggerated, like so many commercial scenarios, but for some reason this one is just too outlandish for me to enjoy.   Especially that damn cake; just pay the delivery fee!  (Which is effectively insurance; if you put it in your car and it goes to hell, that's on you; if something goes wrong in their van, they owe you a cake).

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
42 minutes ago, millennium said:

Does anybody here dip their pizza in Hidden Valley Ranch creamy salad dressing (as the commercial suggests)?  Or any salad dressing?   It seems kind of ... unappetizing to me.   Pizza costs a fortune now (average $20-30 in my area for a large depending on toppings), so I'm just wondering why would anyone want to smother the taste of the pizza with salad dressing.

I remember seeing kid dipping his pizza in ranch in elementary school, and I thought it was repulsive. I also think ranch is gross as salad dressing. Which is weird, considering I consider it perfectly normal for dipping veggies in.

1 hour ago, chessiegal said:

That said, the point I get from the commercial is if you are a safe driver, driving carefully enough to not knock over a cake, spill a volcano, you're a candidate for discounts with Allstate. More metaphors from Allstate.

Being a safe driver isn't going to stop a bird from shitting on the cake or bugs from flying into it. I find the cake's exposure more problematic than it already having been assembled.

• Love 9
8 hours ago, Gharlane said:

I hate this new Allstate commercial. 😡

• Fancy multi-tiered cakes are assembled after reaching the destination, not before!
  • You're not sppsed to transport mirrors on the roof of your car.
  • Transporting the science project volcano while it is filled with "magma" is stupidity on the mother's part.

That would never work on our WV streets Hold On Tight GIF by Real Housewives Of Cheshire

• LOL 8
3 hours ago, janie jones said:

I find the cake's exposure more problematic than it already having been assembled.

When I googled it, I found that there are tall boxes for transporting tall cakes, which makes sense to me, but not everyone uses them!

• Useful 2
4 hours ago, millennium said:

Does anybody here dip their pizza in Hidden Valley Ranch creamy salad dressing (as the commercial suggests)?  Or any salad dressing?   It seems kind of ... unappetizing to me.   Pizza costs a fortune now (average $20-30 in my area for a large depending on toppings), so I'm just wondering why would anyone want to smother the taste of the pizza with salad dressing.

I don't understand those commercials or anyone who would consider dipping pizza in Hidden Valley Ranch.   That sounds disgusting.

• Love 3
On 2/15/2022 at 12:05 AM, susannah said:

I eat my pizza crusts. I don't understand throwing them away.

I do sometimes, but if they're hard, I'll throw them away.

I'm really finding the commercial for the stupid Batman calzone from Little Caesars annoying.  Both because it's a stupid commercial and because the whole idea of half pizza/half fake calzone is ridiculous.  Plus, the previews for the Batman tie-in movie are terrible.

16 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

I love Hawaiian pizza -- with pineapple and ham!

Blasphemer!

• LOL 5
  • Love 2
On 2/14/2022 at 3:56 PM, millennium said:

Does anybody here dip their pizza in Hidden Valley Ranch creamy salad dressing (as the commercial suggests)?  Or any salad dressing?   It seems kind of unappetizing to me.   Pizza costs a fortune now (average $20-30 in my area for a large depending on toppings), so I'm just wondering why would anyone want to smother the taste of the pizza with salad dressing.

The earliest I can remember hearing about people doing that was in the 1990's, but dipping pizza into ranch dressing or anything else sounds gross. I guess some people want more grease/fat with their pizza. I feel the same way about pizza with cheese in the crust encircling the pizza.

On 2/14/2022 at 3:59 PM, Welshman in Ca said:

I don't but my wife & grandson love to dip their pizza in ranch. My disgusting habit (according to them) is having pineapple on mine.

You monster! 😉

On a related note, I really dislike the commercials for Little Caesar's Bat-zone pizza that's a tie-in to a coming batman movie (it kinda bugs me it's called "The Batman",  but that's for another forum). 

Edited by Gharlane
  • Love 2

Folks,

This is the commercials that annoy, irritate or outright enrage thread.  It is not the great pizza debate thread.  Your preferences for ham, pineapple, ranch, or anything else on your pizza is a Small Talk topic.  Posts that do not include references to commercials have been moved. If you want to continue the pizza chat, take it to Small Talk

• LOL 2
  • Love 5

On a related note, I really dislike the commercials for Little Caesar's Bat-zone pizza that's a tie-in to a coming batman movie (it kinda bugs me it's called "The Batman",  but that's for another forum). 

It doesn't look like a calzone and it sure as hell doesn't look like a bat. Why would anyone, aside from Ozzie Osbourne, eat something that looks like a bat?

• LOL 6
  • Love 5

I can ignore most commercials, but the one that is like fingernails on a chalk board is the Medicare Advantage ad with a woman talking endlessly using compressed speech (no gaps or pauses). Can't hit mute (or "off") soon enough. Our landline provider uses it for voicemail announcements. I had to re-record my helpline announcement a dozen times to be able to avoid pausing long enough to trip the compression feature.

• Love 3
On 1/11/2022 at 3:26 PM, Bastet said:

Plus, she's just playing in the living room and then sitting at the breakfast table at home - she didn't trot off to pre-school as a dinosaur. 

And the mom says she refused to wear pants "this morning", not that she refuses to ever put on clothes, so it makes perfect sense to me that instead of battling with a four-year-old who's playing dinosaur in her own home, the mom just jokingly interviews her as to why.

Which is why I love this commercial!

• Love 3

All the 9.99 commercials are annoying, but I get amused at the one where the middle-aged son fixes the sink & then wants some of grandma's casserole, but his mom says it's for Uncle Joe's funeral. Then she tells him she got the 9.99 plan for herself and he nods knowingly. As she goes on about her final expenses being covered, it finally dawns on the son WTH she's talking about, "Oh! The one on TV!"  It makes me giggle, wondering how often she talks about stuff and he pretends he knows what she's rattling on about.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2