Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

• Start Topic

Maybe this is local, but the dental clinics selling 30k implants always have testimonials with people that CAN'T TALK!  The latest starts with a nice looking woman bragging about her new "TEATS". 

If you have "thousands" of happy patients...is there not one that can enunciate?  The last round of commercials had a woman that could now eat "SHTAKE".  ????

• Love 11

The Red Robin commercial with Rachel Dratch is totally annoying.  Why do you need to make a commercial where the participants are idiots?  

I laugh whenever I see the one about the home colon cancer test.  I swear the little guy says "Just shit me to the lab" instead of "ship me to the lab". 

I hate all prescription med commercials when they say "Don't take this medication if you're allergic to it or one of it's ingredients".   How the heck do you know you're allergic unless you take it?  My doc put me on Doxycycline and I had a bad reaction to it. When I called to tell his nurse that I was having a reaction, she had the gall to say, "You never told us you were allergic ".  I told her I'd never taken it before, so how would I know I was allergic?   

• Love 14
8 hours ago, KLovestoShop said:

The Red Robin commercial with Rachel Dratch is totally annoying.  Why do you need to make a commercial where the participants are idiots?  

I laugh whenever I see the one about the home colon cancer test.  I swear the little guy says "Just shit me to the lab" instead of "ship me to the lab". 

I hate all prescription med commercials when they say "Don't take this medication if you're allergic to it or one of it's ingredients".   How the heck do you know you're allergic unless you take it?  My doc put me on Doxycycline and I had a bad reaction to it. When I called to tell his nurse that I was having a reaction, she had the gall to say, "You never told us you were allergic ".  I told her I'd never taken it before, so how would I know I was allergic?   

That reminds me of a commercial from several years ago. It was K Mart advertising their holiday "free shipping". One guy says" I just shipped my pants!" Or "I just shipped my matress". It was funny because it really sounded like "I just shit my pants" And that's exactly what the advertisers were going for. Awesome commercial. I guess people didn't "get it" or they were offended,  because the commercial was never used again. 

• Love 12
8 hours ago, chenoa333 said:

That reminds me of a commercial from several years ago. It was K Mart advertising their holiday "free shipping". One guy says" I just shipped my pants!" Or "I just shipped my matress". It was funny because it really sounded like "I just shit my pants" And that's exactly what the advertisers were going for. Awesome commercial. I guess people didn't "get it" or they were offended,  because the commercial was never used again. 

It also reminds me of the older Red Lobster adds for "crab fest." They've changed the voiceover now, probably because it originally sounded like and ad for "crap fest." Can't have that much honesty in advertising...

• Love 9
11 minutes ago, jcbrown said:

It also reminds me of the older Red Lobster adds for "crab fest." They've changed the voiceover now, probably because it originally sounded like and ad for "crap fest." Can't have that much honesty in advertising...

I remember those commercials! Lol. We don't have many Red Lobsters where I live but that "crapfest" sounds delicious right now!! Lol

• Love 3
On ‎8‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 2:45 PM, Bastet said:

I had to go find this commercial, because I thought, "How do you hold a knife wrong?"  That is, indeed, a little odd.

And what is she cutting, anyway - she's eating a salad, and I don't see any big slices of meat on top of it; it looks like one where everything is already sliced/diced/shredded and ready to bite.

UGH! thanks 4 making me watch that! lol

• Love 1
3 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

It's official. I fucking hate Jane Krakowski. HATE. HER. It's not just because she's an obnoxious, untalented annoyance but that she's so damned pleased with herself about it.

I so agree.  And how the mighty has fallen with her having to sell fast food.  I never could stand her, but now, I absolutely have the need to kick my TV whenever the Sonic commercial is on. 

• Love 9
18 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

It's official. I fucking hate Jane Krakowski. HATE. HER. It's not just because she's an obnoxious, untalented annoyance but that she's so damned pleased with herself about it.

I was just coming here to post JUST THIS VERY THING.  Stop singing at me - yes you have a nice voice but SHUT IT.  For some reason the two Sonic guys don't bother me but Jane.....just shut it now.  She is an immediate mute.

• Love 6
19 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Is she the blonde in the car singing in the Sonic commercial. If so, I can't stand her.

I think I may have mentioned it already but I can't help myself: I am watching the PGA Champonship and they keep showing the Progressive "Heaven is a place on Earth" Jamie commercial. His cry face at the end turns me into a homicidal maniac. Someone please restrain me before I smash the TV and everything around it.

• Love 14

Go spend some time in the Judge Judy thread, ;) They don't consciously break the law, they have insurance but it is cancelled the very hour before the accident, unbeknownst to them.

Ugh, unfortunately that shit happens. I lost my license for a solid year once for my insurance company not processing my payment, which I'd made twice. A friend who'd gotten a DUI around the same time got only six moths. So maybe I'm still bitter.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, configdotsys said:

Is she the blonde in the car singing in the Sonic commercial. If so, I can't stand her.

I think I may have mentioned it already but I can't help myself: I am watching the PGA Champonship and they keep showing the Progressive "Heaven is a place on Earth" Jamie commercial. His cry face at the end turns me into a homicidal maniac. Someone please restrain me before I smash the TV and everything around it.

To me, Jamie’s face looks like he’s trying to take a dump, and isn’t successful.  I.HATE.JAMIE !!!!!!!!!

• Love 6

The problem with the Sonic commercial where Jane Krakowski breaks into song is how damn loud her belting is. The rest of the commercial can be ignored as background noise until she launches into her ear-splitting ode to berry shakes. 

All the way up by Fat Joe + Mountain Dew = HATE.

• Love 11

This is a bit of an overlap with the earworm thread but the Applebee's commercial with the cover of Meatloaf's "All Coming Back to Me Now" makes me stabby. Some of us already lived through this musical era. Why must it be dredged up?

• Love 4

I love that song, but Meat Loafs version, not that awful cover. 

There's an ad for some little vacuum thing that's supposed to suck the dirt and oil out of your pores on your face. The pictures they show are gagging, especially when I'm eating. 

• Love 4
20 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

Ugh, unfortunately that shit happens. I lost my license for a solid year once for my insurance company not processing my payment, which I'd made twice. A friend who'd gotten a DUI around the same time got only six moths. So maybe I'm still bitter.

My point was if people are so conscientious about not breaking the law of not driving without insurance, why are the rest of us required to have "Uninsured Motorist" coverage?

Sorry about that crap fest you had to deal with; I'd still be bitter, too. I recall when Letterman lost his license for a while for too many speeding tickets, he said he felt like luggage, being nothing but a passenger.

• Love 2

It's for Ruby Tuesday and yes, it is totally annoying. I never liked her anyway.

• Love 6

Please Sophie Vigara....shut up and go away. Why would she think people are lining up to pay for over priced eyeglasses/sunglasses with her initials on them? She's never going to be Coco Chanel. And fyi bitch...Salma Hayek is a thousand times hotter than you. And she can act. Sophie V is just being herself..dumb and cutesy. And I hate "Modern Family" because of this brainless twit twat.

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, chenoa333 said:

Please Sophie Vigara....shut up and go away. Why would she think people are lining up to pay for over priced eyeglasses/sunglasses with her initials on them? She's never going to be Coco Chanel. And fyi bitch...Salma Hayek is a thousand times hotter than you. And she can act. Sophie V is just being herself..dumb and cutesy. And I hate "Modern Family" because of this brainless twit twat.

I think I read somewhere that her accent is exaggerated.

• Love 2
On 8/10/2018 at 11:44 PM, zillabreeze said:

Maybe this is local, but the dental clinics selling 30k implants always have testimonials with people that CAN'T TALK!  The latest starts with a nice looking woman bragging about her new "TEATS".

Maybe that's a side effect of what they're selling.

• Love 4

I tried doing a search, but it came back with no hits (though I can't believe this hasn't been discussed), but if I was an inventor why the hell would I go to George Foreman for advice?  I think I'd go to a patent attorney.

Edited by Tom Holmberg
  • Love 12

There’s a new commercial for eczema or some skin disease, where a woman is washing her hands and there are black ants crawling all over her.  The power of suggestion and seeing the ants makes my skin crawl and I start itching all over.  

• Love 11

There’s a new commercial for eczema or some skin disease, where a woman is washing her hands and there are black ants crawling all over her.  The power of suggestion and seeing the ants makes my skin crawl and I start itching all over.  

I just saw this. I had no idea having extrema makes you feel like you have the DTs.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, KLovestoShop said:

I saw this tonight for the first time and YUCK!  What a creepy sight, those ants!

• Love 6
8 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

I think I read somewhere that her accent is exaggerated.

I've got a friend who's a Latina actress - she says you can't get a part without turning the accent up to 11, and Vergara is no exception.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, mmecorday said:

I just saw this. I had no idea having extrema makes you feel like you have the DTs.

Eczema makes me feel like I want to claw my skin off. I used to scratch my skin until it bled when I was a kid. Nothing eases the itch for me for long and to any significant degree.

• Love 9

Ugh, I have it--dyshidrotic eczema--on the palms of my hands sometimes. While it's not all that visible (so it doesn't affect my vanity too much, haha!), it's super-annoying (and painful and itchy; itchy is the worst part) because it's a tough spot to keep all lotioned up when you have to type a lot at work. 

There's another eczema-med commercial--Eucrisa, I think--with a little boy who says "and it's steroid-free" in a way that's just a bit too suave for his age. It's creepy!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 6
27 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

Ugh, I have it--dyshidrotic eczema--on the palms of my hands sometimes. While it's not all that visible (so it doesn't affect my vanity too much, haha!), it's super-annoying (and painful and itchy; itchy is the worst part) because it's a tough spot to keep all lotioned up when you have to type a lot at work. 

There's another eczema-med commercial--Eucrisa, I think--with a little boy who says "and it's steroid-free" in a way that's just a bit too suave for his age. It's creepy!

I agree, that little boy really isn't old enough to be that 'hip'.  He is cute, though.

Have you folks tried Aspercreme With Lidocaine?  You only use a dot of it. not greasy or stinky at all.  It actually works on neuropathy, and I suspect it would work on eczema too.

• Love 3

I have a prescription for Elidel, but I try to use it only when shit's unbearable. I've been using an Avalon Organics cream sometimes (but it's like...filmy-feeling) and JĀSÖN aloe cream. What seems to work best is the Aveeno oatmeal stuff that my BF uses but it's not cruelty-free or vegan. so I don't ever buy it for myself. What works better than that though is a damn day at the beach, which I have not yet gotten to do this summer!  

• Love 2
4 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

I wouldn't call him suave exactly, he sounds mechanical like a cyborg trying to sound human. Uncanny valley. YMMV.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

It's that it's a weird line to give a small boy, who I'm pretty sure does not give a shit whether or not steroids are in his ointment. It would be more effective to have an adult or a teenager say that line, as that's more plausible for me to believe they care about it.

• Love 10
On ‎08‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 5:29 PM, NinjaPenguins said:

That is one of the cruelest burns I’ve ever seen. Well played.

Mazda has a shitty new commercial where the voiceover guy urgently, breathlessly whispers dumbass cliches. “Chase the sun.” “Spread your wings.” What? I think Icarus tried that and it didn’t work out so well. Voiceover guy’s delivery is so hilariously melodramatic that it borders on parody. 

There’s an Audi commercial set in a soulless corporate workplace where some lady decides to up and leave to start her own dream company. She struts all the way out of the building, cliched box of trinkets in hand and all the bystanders staring at her in amazement and wonder. A song called “Making time” plays and the lyrics that stand out the most are “same old song, same old song.” Yeah, that gets me revved up to buy a car. The commercial is butt ugly too; everything looks dreary and washed out. The tagline to this mess is Promote Yourself. 

I agree about the commercial, but I kinda like the song; reminds me of classic Who.

On ‎08‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 10:56 PM, chenoa333 said:

Oh holy underwear! I just saw a commercial for special underpants for men with leaky bladders. The underwear is "ruched/gathered" material like the ones that they advertise for women with leaky bladders. I would be horrified if I met a guy I liked only to find out he's wearing leaky bladder underwear. Thankfully, I've been "closed for business" for quite some time! Lol

I'd like to think that, before we got to the point of seeing each other's underwear, we'd know each other well enough to have maybe mentioned medical conditions, and would both cut each other a little bit of slack.  Bladder control issues are medical problems, not behavioral ones.

On ‎08‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 11:23 PM, zillabreeze said:

And I'm sure it's been covered, but why do you have to dance & prance while peeing in your new adult diapers?

Sometimes when you have a medical condition, accidents happen which you can't control.  It's nice to be able to hide them until you can get to a bathroom rather than being publicly humiliated.

• Love 9

Yeah, the adult diapers aren't for emptying the bladder, it's for the little oopsies that come out when dancing, prancing, sneezing, maybe jumping on a trampoline with the grandchildren (this happens to my mother).

The funny thing is how the commercials market them to say, "Look how cute the underwear looks now!" with the patterns and such. Like I'd care.

• Love 10

Definitely sneezing.  And sometimes coughing.

Mild irritation for the Breyer's (I think) commercial that tries to tell me that packing for a week-long vacation with just a carry-on is impossible.  Um, nope.  I've not only packed for a week-long vacation with just a carry-on, I've packed for three weeks in Scotland with just a carry-on (and personal bag)! 

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Browncoat said:

Mild irritation for the Breyer's (I think) commercial that tries to tell me that packing for a week-long vacation with just a carry-on is impossible.  Um, nope.  I've not only packed for a week-long vacation with just a carry-on, I've packed for three weeks in Scotland with just a carry-on (and personal bag)! 

I haven't seen that commercial, but I share your "Um, nope" reaction.  A single carry-on is all the suitcase I ever take, whether I'm traveling for a week or a month. 

Now, if I was going to be staying in one hotel or rental home for a month, and just venturing out for day trips, I'd deal with wrestling additional luggage between the airport and hotel/rental and back in order to have more options with me, but that's not how I travel; I'm moving around every 5 days or so, and it's so much easier getting on and off trains and to/from hotels if I'm just pulling one carry-on with me.

But a week?  Sure, if you want to take more stuff for a short trip, go ahead, but it's impossible to pack enough stuff in a carry-on?  Nope.

• Love 1

I am a notorious over-packer but at the same time I could probably do it if hindsight is any indicator. When I was in Ft. Lauderdale a few years ago, I ended up wearing the same two pairs of jean shorts, a few T-shirts, flip-flops, and two bathing suits over the course of 5 days anyway. Oh, and one little nothing dress one night. Cold-weather trips though, probably not so much.

Edited by TattleTeeny
On 8/3/2018 at 11:24 PM, Brookside said:

The Echo ad where the worthless father has to be told every little thing about how to parent his baby, like where the teething ring is.  Oh, and being told he's doing a great job.

That ad is everything that’s wrong with TV advertising today. The hyper-competent, controlling mom and the doofy-but-well-meaning dad just reinforce every stereotype about marriage and parenting ever created. It’s actually offensive to me.

Thank you for reminding me about it. I need to send a nasty email to Amazon about it.

• Love 19
On ‎8‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 11:26 PM, tanyak said:

Re ESPN’s Fantasy football commercial: I really like the song in the commercial and the commercial was fun the first few times I saw. But now I am sick.of.it. The last few years, ESPN has tended to have several fantasy commercials that are part of one larger theme. Last year it was some Cosplay thing, another year it was scenes from a draft party at someone’s house. There was for a variety and they can switch it up. I am so damn tired of this one commercial. I’ll be glad when fantasy draft period is over. 

Speaking of which, ESPN has released a bunch of ads that are obviously damage control for the blowback they're getting for their excessive politicization. Please spare me the nonsense about you being all about sports, mkay?

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Eliot said:

That ad is everything that’s wrong with TV advertising today. The hyper-competent, controlling mom and the doofy-but-well-meaning dad just reinforce every stereotype about marriage and parenting ever created. It’s actually offensive to me.

Thank you for reminding me about it. I need to send a nasty email to Amazon about it.

Yes! to this!  I'm a woman that has always worked in "men's work" ....auto repair & parts, house & road construction. The men I know can pour concrete all day and still wrangle a dirty nappy. 

AND...they don't give a flying fuck about yogurt in the fridge.

Getting really tired of men being portrayed as stupid.  "Equal" doesn't mean the other sex has to be "less than"

• Love 15

Chili's seems to think their "I want my baby back" jingle was so popular they are now using it with completely different lyrics for their 3 for $10 specials or whatever they are hawking now. But wasn't the"I want by baby back" a take-off on an actual song? It doesn't work if you just use the same tune with different lyrics. Plus? Now I'm sick of hearing it. Advertisers need to learn not to drive things into the ground. The Geico cavemen, the gecko, and Flo - they were sort of cute at first but they were all victims of over-exposure.

• Love 11
7 hours ago, Eliot said:

And furthermore, what does an infant need with a play date? I get it for toddlers but play dates for infants like those "mommy and me" groups seem more like support groups for insecure mommies than being of any benefit to the baby.

• Love 14
23 hours ago, kariyaki said:

Yeah, the adult diapers aren't for emptying the bladder, it's for the little oopsies that come out when dancing, prancing, sneezing, maybe jumping on a trampoline with the grandchildren (this happens to my mother).

The funny thing is how the commercials market them to say, "Look how cute the underwear looks now!" with the patterns and such. Like I'd care.

If I had a leaky bladder I'd be looking for a solution to the problem. Not some underwear that supposedly looks like "less of a diaper" that absorbs the pee. It's still going to smell and be uncomfortable to wear damp "sexy" undies. 

• Love 7

I HATE the GEICO commercial that is set in a theater. Alexander Graham Bell gets a phone call on an wooden wall phone that the man next to him is holding. (That's not how this works. That's not how any of this works.) The obnoxious phone ringing stops the play. He tells the caller that they have the wrong number; they want phone number 2, and he's phone number 1. A couple seconds after he hangs up and the play resumes, the phone rings again, interrupting the play again.

The voiceover says, "As long as people talk too loudly on the phone, you can count on GEICO to save you money..."

I probably wouldn't hate it so much if it didn't come on every commercial break, but here we are.

• Love 1