Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

• Start Topic

9 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

I just saw one of the "flispy" Sonic commercials and thought that, if they thought combining "flavorful" and "crispy" was such a great plan, wouldn't "cravorful" have made more sense? There'd be the two words, plus the suggestion of "crave."

Unfortunately, no one ever claimed any of the Sonic spokespeople made sense.  Or had sense.

• Love 11
18 hours ago, Moose135 said:

iPhone guy here as well, and I don't think they have Samsung stores like Apple stores, I think you can buy them just about anywhere.

And, you don't have to go to an Apple store to get an iPhone. Big stores for electronics or big-name cell service (e.g. AT&T) have both (and often other brands), so you can compare.

• Love 4

babbel.com   I don't care that this is the original German name, in "English" it's too close to babble or Babel and therefore just seems wrong/ignorant.  Irritates the hell out of me.

• Love 2

While not being an awful commercial, I am sick of the recent "This is SportsCenter" one with the baseball guy giving the hand signals to the two anchors on the desk to update them on breaking news. All the freaking ESPN channels play it every damn commercial break.

All the Kevin Hart Mountain Dew commercials. I'm tired.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Brattinella said:

So, would anyone here wear Matte GREY Lipstick?  Looks very corpse-like to me. Not chic or fashionable at all.

Maybe for cosplaying Chiana from Farscape, but I saw a clip once on how they did her grey makeup - first you have to have green so the underlying skin tone is cancelled out. Without that step it looks corpselike instead of alien, like you guessed.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Popples said:

While not being an awful commercial, I am sick of the recent "This is SportsCenter" one with the baseball guy giving the hand signals to the two anchors on the desk to update them on breaking news. All the freaking ESPN channels play it every damn commercial break.

All the Kevin Hart Mountain Dew commercials. I'm tired.

How’s about ESPN promoting baseball by showing close ups of players kissing and licking their bats while sexay music plays in the background? They’re already pushing it with their mediocre baseball broadcasts, and this doesn’t exactly sweeten the pot. 

• Love 7
26 minutes ago, NinjaPenguins said:

How’s about ESPN promoting baseball by showing close ups of players kissing and licking their bats while sexay music plays in the background? They’re already pushing it with their mediocre baseball broadcasts, and this doesn’t exactly sweeten the pot. 

Really? o_O Yikes!

• Love 2
19 hours ago, Brattinella said:

So, would anyone here wear Matte GREY Lipstick?  Looks very corpse-like to me. Not chic or fashionable at all.

No worse than the people who were all wearing that super dark lipstick for a time.  It looked good on no one - especially those with pale complexion.  Made them look like they'd recently had lip surgery, or had been injured in an accident.

• Love 3
(edited)

Oh, I look nice in dark lipstick. I am, however, too much of a mess to keep it nice all day and I hate the dried-paint feeling of long-wearing ones!

It reminds me a an annoying commercial though for long-wearing lipstick--I forget what brand. Anyway, it claims to be "kiss-proof, smudge-proof, food-proof, whatever...but also "stay-proof," which makes no sense.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 6

I don't think Isaac and Liz met through eHarmony, I think she is probably his middle school teacher. Isaac looks like he's 14 years old!! The optics are just not good...

• Love 7
1 hour ago, millennium said:

Each and every commercial that uses the song "A Little Less Conversation."   I never want to hear that song again.

Aaarrgghh! Me too! I hate that song with the firey heat of a thousand suns.

• Love 2

I cannot express how much I absolutely despise that Jamie idiot from the Progressive commercials.  While I find all his appearances to be obnoxious, his latest one with the chorus singing Heaven Is A Place On Earth is the worst.  The way he shakes and wobbles when they’re singing makes him look like he’s either having problems with a bowel movement or he’s about to have a seizure.  As much as I’m sick of Flo, I’ll take her over Jamie any day. 

• Love 15
5 hours ago, Brattinella said:

Amen!  What the hell IS that??  It has NOTHING to do with insurance, and Jamie is just acting a fool.  SMH.

I did profess my love for the Progressive commercials on the appropriate thread, but I wanted to say the selling point here is the magical name your price tool.  It just makes everything better.  The song itself is irrelevant.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Lava VaVoom said:

I did profess my love for the Progressive commercials on the appropriate thread, but I wanted to say the selling point here is the magical name your price tool.  It just makes everything better.  The song itself is irrelevant.

Yep, that's the point. Nothing is right until someone holds the magical name your price tool. 

• Love 2
On 7/23/2018 at 3:29 PM, millennium said:

Each and every commercial that uses the song "A Little Less Conversation."   I never want to hear that song again.

Oh God, I HATE that song. I remember years and years ago on American Idol, when Ace was a contestant so we are going way back, there was some guy named John Peter I think. I didn't see any talent in him at all and somehow he ended up with that song to sing. Not sure if it was an Elvis week or something but I hated the song before that and once he started singing it, I wanted to smash the entire apartment!

20 hours ago, KLovestoShop said:

I cannot express how much I absolutely despise that Jamie idiot from the Progressive commercials.  While I find all his appearances to be obnoxious, his latest one with the chorus singing Heaven Is A Place On Earth is the worst.  The way he shakes and wobbles when they’re singing makes him look like he’s either having problems with a bowel movement or he’s about to have a seizure.  As much as I’m sick of Flo, I’ll take her over Jamie any day. 

I came here to post these feelings about that idiotic commercial the other day but something suddenly came up (c. Greg Brady). That commercial drives me nuts. It's so stupid and his cry face at the end. I swear, my TV's days are numbered here.

• Love 5
(edited)

I’ve always found the “Well, the squirrels are in the attic again,” Geico commercial hilarious. And I guess I just assumed everyone else did too. Everyone except my mom. It happened to come on recently while I was at her house and I of course was cracking up. Then I noticed she was tight lipped and said curtly, “I don’t see what’s so funny.” Hee! My mom’s not even a big talker. I think she’s just offended for older moms everywhere. 

One commercial I really do hate is another insurance commercial...I think. Or maybe it’s for Subaru. It’s some first person narration that begins, “I was born in winter of 1977.” Then the narrator continues with some story of getting married right after college and having kids and now those kids are going to college or something. Then there’s an automobile accident. I always turn the channel. I don’t know why it annoys me so much, but I was born in 1977, and I can’t relate to any of that. I don’t think I was prepared yet to have commercials targeting my exact age group, that talked of having adult children. I’m not sure if it made me feel old or inadequate or both.

Edited by charmed1
  • Love 11
On 7/24/2018 at 11:50 AM, KLovestoShop said:

Oh my God, yes! So so awful

Another one I hate (and it may just be in MN). Is the Ask Gary commercials about auto accidents (it's a lawyer commercial) ... "I was skeErd and confused" ugh.

• Love 1

Funny, I come upon this thread and guess what commercial was airing as I did? The "Heaven is a Place on Earth" one :p.

3 hours ago, charmed1 said:

One commercial I really do hate is another insurance commercial...I think. Or maybe it’s for Subaru. It’s some first person narration that begins, “I was born in winter of 1977.” Then the narrator continues with some story of getting married right after college and having kids and now those kids are going to college or something. Then there’s an automobile accident. I always turn the channel. I don’t know why it annoys me so much, but I was born in 1977, and I can’t relate to any of that. I don’t think I was prepared yet to have commercials targeting my exact age group, that talked of having adult children. I’m not sure if it made me feel old or inadequate or both.

I find that one weird just 'cause it's such an abrupt shift from, "Here's my life story up to now, oh, and by the way, I was in a bad car accident at one point."

7 minutes ago, OrigamiNightmare said:

Another one I hate (and it may just be in MN). Is the Ask Gary commercials about auto accidents (it's a lawyer commercial) ... "I was skeErd and confused" ugh.

On the note of Minnesota commercials, we here in northern Iowa see some of them via the Rochester station nearby, and there's one for some business where the guy who runs it keeps putting his son's original songs into the ads. And they're these really cheesy, acoustic love songs at that, stuff that has absolutely no relevance to the business being advertised at all. It's hilariously dumb and random. If he and/or his son wants his music to reach an audience, have they ever heard of just, y'know, uploading clips of the kid playing to YouTube or something? 

• Love 1
(edited)
6 hours ago, charmed1 said:

That one bugs me, too, but I know why. It's not statistically accurate and the timeline is too tight.

I did the math. A person born in the "winter of '77" would have to have had their kids before turning 23 (especially considering pregnancy is 40 weeks) for it to work out that the kids graduate high school in 2018. (1977 parents' birth + 22 years of college = 1999* parents graduate college + 19 years of childs' gestation/childhood/years to graduation = 2018)

My sisters are 11.5 months apart. My younger sister (next to me in age) was born in late December of 1977 (interestingly, on the start of winter, the 21st) and my other sister was born in early December of 1978. (I'm October 1974.) The youngest (12/78) has a (unplanned) 19-year-old daughter that she had when she was 20. She didn't go to college; she barely got out of high school.

Generally speaking, my and my sisters' generation (Generation X) tended to have kids later than their early 20s. NPR says:

In the last 45 years, the mean age of first-time moms has gone up by five years — from 21.4 years old to 26.3.

My other sister has a 10-year old, born when my sister was almost 30. All of my contemporaries except for my one sister had children in their very late 20s or 30s.

I don't have kids because I never wanted them.

*Since I'm being extremely pedantic about it, the person born in winter of '77 would have to have early kindergarten admission to graduate college in 1999. My 1977 sister was three years behind me in school, not two (I graduated high school in 1993, she in 1996).

Edited by bilgistic
  • Love 3
18 hours ago, configdotsys said:

Oh God, I HATE that song. I remember years and years ago on American Idol, when Ace was a contestant so we are going way back, there was some guy named John Peter I think. I didn't see any talent in him at all and somehow he ended up with that song to sing. Not sure if it was an Elvis week or something but I hated the song before that and once he started singing it, I wanted to smash the entire apartment!

I would have guessed Taylor Hicks.   My most despised American Idol contestant ever.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, charmed1 said:

It’s some first person narration that begins, “I was born in winter of 1977.” 

It's the lede! It's supposed to be relevant! Especially with the "this is important!" tone of voice and dramatic pause. So you sit there waiting and waiting to hear what's so interesting about being born in the winter of '77, and ... crickets.

• Love 12
18 hours ago, charmed1 said:

Yeah, that's Subaru.  And it's a stupid commercial.

• Love 4
15 hours ago, funky-rat said:

Yeah, that's Subaru.  And it's a stupid commercial.

I have a pretty fundamental negative response to advertising by any large corporation that’s based on the premise that the Corp is exercising special concern for the safety of its customers.  Whatever safety features are in that car, if Subaru thought they’d sell more by removing those features and dropping the price, they’d do it.  I guess i’m Just too cynical, lol.  Also, the “...and then a car didn’t stop...[dramatic pause]…and neither did our story” bit really bugs me for some reason.  

Oh oh and Look!  Trivago goof has some friends over for a night of Trivago fun!  What a great guy! 

• Love 2

"He hates these cans! Stay away from the cans!"

Here's a commercial I hate. It's some kind of Zip Loc ad and a bunch of kids are dumping confetti all over the ground outside. Yeah, way to to teach the kids to dump garbage all over the earth.

• Love 9
12 hours ago, Zevious Zoquis said:

Also, the “...and then a car didn’t stop...[dramatic pause]…and neither did our story” bit really bugs me for some reason.  

Because most adults have an "and then a car didn't stop" story, but it usually ends with "it was just a minor ding, and fortunately neither of us had Liberty Mutual, so we got it sorted".

• Love 17
12 hours ago, Jamoche said:

Because most adults have an "and then a car didn't stop" story, but it usually ends with "it was just a minor ding, and fortunately neither of us had Liberty Mutual, so we got it sorted".

They fixed it with a pen?

• Love 17