Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

• Start Topic

On 6/27/2018 at 8:42 AM, peacheslatour said:

It's a parody of the movie Goonies. It's kind of a nerd thing.

I've never seen Goonies, either, and just thought it was a parody of Stranger Things (which is an "homage" to Goonies, among others).

• Love 1

The CDC ad for stopping smoking is running again where the guy pulls out his false teeth to show that smoking ruined his teeth.  The thing that totally disgusts me is the sound that he makes taking out his teeth.  I cringe.

• Love 9
25 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

The CDC ad for stopping smoking is running again where the guy pulls out his false teeth to show that smoking ruined his teeth.  The thing that totally disgusts me is the sound that he makes taking out his teeth.  I cringe.

Yes!  When I see him come on, I dive for the Mute button.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Silver Raven said:

That is the worst commercial I have ever seen. Just that sound makes me change the channel and thankfully I have never seen his teeth.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, rcc said:

We do too. And is it just me, or does the volume increase noticeably while he’s wrestling around with the inside of his mouth?

• Love 5
6 minutes ago, Ilovecomputers said:

We do too. And is it just me, or does the volume increase noticeably while he’s wrestling around with the inside of his mouth?

I think so.

• Love 2
(edited)
12 minutes ago, Ilovecomputers said:

I know it does on the one with the woman who says about only going as far as your oxygen hose lets you.  They make portable oxygen devices, and that thing hisses so loud - never heard one hiss that loudly, and I've known a number of people who had them.  Meanwhile, there are no similar commercials showing what years of alcohol abuse will do to you.  I fear the drunk more than the smoker.  And I've never smoked.

Edited by funky-rat
Continuity
  • Love 8
7 hours ago, rcc said:

That is the worst commercial I have ever seen. Just that sound makes me change the channel and thankfully I have never seen his teeth.

If he would just keep his f'n false teeth in his mouth, nobody would know he has false teeth. It's like "Hey everybody, I got my teeth knocked out in a car accident and now I have dentures! Want to see them!?"

And I've got some more hate for the University of Phoenix and their creepy animated "actors". You know, the "people" with gigantic bug eyes and tiny bodies and they move like f'n robots. University of Phoenix is too cheap to hire real people. 

And that f'n kid in the Skippy peanut butter commercial dancing to Bruno Mars. How many hours of my life do I waste pressing the mute button?   I could still be 35! Lol!

• Love 6
On 7/10/2018 at 12:34 PM, Mollysmom said:

There is a commercial running on TLC right now for the show Outdaugtered that shows one of the kids with poop all over the back of their pants and the dad says something like "welcome to the $hitshow".. Totally gross.  We don't need to see $hit soaked pants eve if it is a toddler. 

Word!!  ^^^^ So gross. And they act like "poor us we have a litter of kids and one of them crapped in their onesie".  

• Love 5

The newer set of Liberty (Liberty Liberty!) Mutual customers are so aggressively dim and annoying. They’re so dismissive of the damage their accidents caused (you could fix it with a pen), yet I bet if we spoke to the driver on the receiving end, the story would be a little different. The shitty attitudes with which they deliver their self-serving narratives are not appealing. The one guy who segues into a passive aggressive tangent about how mature LM is to forgive one mistake makes me feel bad for his wife. It’s nice to know I’m not alone in my annoyance. 

There’s a car commercial set to a particularly odious version of “My Favorite Things,” a song I hate with the fiery intensity of a million supernovas. I can’t remember if it’s for Nissan, Audi or some other make. Well played, ad agency.

• Love 12
38 minutes ago, NinjaPenguins said:

The newer set of Liberty (Liberty Liberty!) Mutual customers are so aggressively dim and annoying. They’re so dismissive of the damage their accidents caused (you could fix it with a pen), yet I bet if we spoke to the driver on the receiving end, the story would be a little different. The shitty attitudes with which they deliver their self-serving narratives are not appealing. The one guy who segues into a passive aggressive tangent about how mature LM is to forgive one mistake makes me feel bad for his wife. It’s nice to know I’m not alone in my annoyance. 

Don't these idiots have a deductible?  So the insurance company pays from dollar one for the damage fixable by a pen  and for just "clipping" someone and they should be blameless and pay nothing and have no rate increase?  I think the driver they "clipped" may not feel that is so minor that it should have no consequences.

• Love 8

A-ha, I found it! You guys, look at this local commercial that we are forced to endure (and mock) here in RHoNJ territory! Haha, it's so not sexy, especially the pizza part six seconds in, soon followed by the image of some anemic mac & cheese bites on a stark-ass tray with nary even a garnish! 

• Love 3
On ‎7‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 2:45 PM, DrSpaceman said:

I hate those two little kids in the Kia commercials. 

I am 99.9% sure the boy in that commercial was in an episode of "Teachers" where he enjoyed putting round things on his....um....boyhood.  The teacher in return tossed everything round in her room away.  Sadly, that's how I'll always remember him.

• Love 1
58 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

They also have a follow-up "we're hiring" commercial. Anyone want to feed and/or massage random patrons for tips?

I'm speechless.  Kinda like roving hooers that never satisfy or something. Yikes!

"This is a story about mail and packages.

And it's also a story about people.

People who rely on us every day to deliver their dreams.

They're handing us more than mail. They're handing us their business.

And while we make more ecommerce deliveries than anyone in the country,

We never forget that your business is our business."

OK FINE. But I'm still waiting for the fucking story.

• Love 12
(edited)
3 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

A-ha, I found it! You guys, look at this local commercial that we are forced to endure (and mock) here in RHoNJ territory! Haha, it's so not sexy, especially the pizza part six seconds in, soon followed by the image of some anemic mac & cheese bites on a stark-ass tray with nary even a garnish! 

"World-famous" mac 'n cheese bites!

Hey, big guy, come on in after a long, hard day at work before you go home to the missus, who has your favorite pot roast waiting, along with your dirty martini. Little Jimmy wants you to help him with his transistor radio, and Sally wants to listen to your 45s, but you just need a break from the hour a day you see your family.

So is it a titty bar or...?

Edited by bilgistic
  • Love 1
(edited)

I think so, but maybe just go-go/bikini? I think it can't be total nude with food. I'll check!

EDIT: I don't know, but it appears that it's mainly bikini but there are private rooms. My quick Google search told me that 8 dancers there were busted for prostitution a few years ago. Also, its terrible website (featuring ladies that don't look as miserable as the ones in the commercial) boasts entertainment in various specific nationalities. Oh, yes--and a police officer was shot outside of it. I think my research ends at the virtual level, as I will not be making a visit!

Edited by TattleTeeny
22 hours ago, mmecorday said:

The PCMatic commercials are horrible! Where do they find these terrible actors? https://www.ispot.tv/ad/dwHp/pcmatic-com-fake-virus-scam-blocker

Not only is it horrible acting, the stereotypes of the "elderly" mom who of course, is not tech savvy enough to know how to keep her personal info safe on her laptop, to the customer service guy who has a middle eastern accent. Could PCMatic be any more insulting? Oh yeah, I forgot the elderly woman's son is geeky looking. 

And PLEASE Allstate Insurance, stop with the "Going to the chapel and we're gonna get married" song. If I hear even one note of that song it sends me into a very bad mood. I think i might have to call Allstate and tell them they suck and so does their ad agency

• Love 6

Just weird that they feel they need to state that, as if people wouldn't automatically expect a place to have various employees--if it even crossed their minds at all. Especially in that area, which is a true mixed bag of ethnicity and cultures.

2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Dear Sonic,  Stop trying to make "flispy" happen.  Thanks!

Every time I see a nano second of any Sonic commercials my hand hits the mute button. Thanks for the warning about "flispy". Whatever the hell that means I don't know, but it will push me over the edge especially if it's one of the extremely stupid guys in the flowered shirts. 

• Love 7
On 7/10/2018 at 11:07 PM, mythoughtis said:

Just who thought it was a great idea to name an insurance company Elephant?  That doesn’t instill any  confidence in me that my claim will be handled to my satisfaction. 

There was a restaurant in my city named "Fuzzy's Taco Shop".  Terrible name.  All I could think about was "fuzz" (ie. mold) on the tacos, and I never walked in there once. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, chenoa333 said:

Every time I see a nano second of any Sonic commercials my hand hits the mute button. Thanks for the warning about "flispy". Whatever the hell that means I don't know, but it will push me over the edge especially if it's one of the extremely stupid guys in the flowered shirts. 

It's the extremely stupid women, and "flispy" is a combination of "flavorful" (I think), and "crispy".  The worst part is that Sonic has now incorporated that "word" into an ad that doesn't have any of the people.

• Love 4
36 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

It's the extremely stupid women, and "flispy" is a combination of "flavorful" (I think), and "crispy".  The worst part is that Sonic has now incorporated that "word" into an ad that doesn't have any of the people.

Why do SO many of these companies think it's cool to portray people (men, women, kids) in their ads as dumb? 

And while I'm on the advertisers "hate train" are young women (who want to have sex but NOT get pregnant) so f'n careless that they can't remember to take a daily pill? They opt to insert a weird plastic device in their netherlands? I'm betting in less than a year, we're going to see an advertisement for a law firm that has filed a class action lawsuit against the drug/pharmaceutical companies for adverse affects of these devices. 

• Love 10
10 minutes ago, chenoa333 said:

Why do SO many of these companies think it's cool to portray people (men, women, kids) in their ads as dumb? 

And while I'm on the advertisers "hate train" are young women (who want to have sex but NOT get pregnant) so f'n careless that they can't remember to take a daily pill? They opt to insert a weird plastic device in their netherlands? I'm betting in less than a year, we're going to see an advertisement for a law firm that has filed a class action lawsuit against the drug/pharmaceutical companies for adverse affects of these devices. 

I think there have been many lawsuits on those products; the Copper Seven springs to mind.

53 minutes ago, Brattinella said:

I think there have been many lawsuits on those products; the Copper Seven springs to mind.

OUCH! Just the name of that contraption makes me wince.

44 minutes ago, smittykins said:

And the Dalkon Shield. 

DOUBLE OUCH! Hey sexually active people....responsibility and diligence in taking a pill daily or an injection every few months and using condoms is pretty easy. If some drug company came up with a daily pill that kept you looking  25 years old forever, nobody would forget to take it. Including that dorky looking woman in the Kyleena commercial. I hate that fugly face she makes when she thinks she forgot to take her pill. But wait! Shes got Kyleena in her so no need to worry! Bang away baby! Lol. 

• Love 8
1 hour ago, chenoa333 said:

Hey sexually active people....responsibility and diligence in taking a pill daily or an injection every few months and using condoms is pretty easy. If some drug company came up with a daily pill that kept you looking  25 years old forever, nobody would forget to take it. Including that dorky looking woman in the Kyleena commercial. I hate that fugly face she makes when she thinks she forgot to take her pill. But wait! Shes got Kyleena in her so no need to worry! Bang away baby! Lol. 

What's hilarious is that the way the commercial is structured, we saw that she literally just walked out of the gyno office that afternoon. Apparently, she’s so flaky that she forgets she no longer needs to take pills in the space of only a few hours. Maybe Kyleena is for dumbasses?

• Love 15
40 minutes ago, kariyaki said:

What's hilarious is that the way the commercial is structured, we saw that she literally just walked out of the gyno office that afternoon. Apparently, she’s so flaky that she forgets she no longer needs to take pills in the space of only a few hours. Maybe Kyleena is for dumbasses?

Good observation KARIYAKI! Straight out of her gyno's office and ready to hook up with the guy she just met on Tinder! 

• Love 9
On 7/13/2018 at 12:08 PM, NinjaPenguins said:

There’s a car commercial set to a particularly odious version of “My Favorite Things,” a song I hate with the fiery intensity of a million supernovas. I can’t remember if it’s for Nissan, Audi or some other make. Well played, ad agency.

Yes, yes, yes.

And because they haven't given me enough reasons to hate their commercials, now we have someone singing, Liberty, liberty, liberty, liberty, liberty.

And I must be in the minority in my hatred of the "My Favorite Things". I posted my disapproval on YouTube and I think there's been a contract put out on me. The song is fine, it's the singer and the techno pop arrangement that sucks. IMHO

I'm pretty sure the car is Volvo and their commercials have bugged me for years now. The wedding/funeral? one and the convicted, going to prison -(Oh wait, she's an astronaut!!!) - woman one.  

• Love 4
On 6/14/2018 at 11:00 PM, Silver Raven said:

"Ancestry DNA told my Dad that he came from the southern coast of Ireland." Your Dad didn't know where he came from?  Or do you mean that his ancestors come from the southern coast of Ireland?

Those Ancestry DNA spots really annoy me. Especially the "Dear Foremothers" or "Dear Moonshiner Grandaddy". First, the letter(?) writer shouldn't have to inform them of the facts of their lives, they were there, don'tcha know, and second, they're dead, so they can't hear you telling them of their contributions to your personality. Just so stupid. 

• Love 9
5 minutes ago, SoSueMe said:

Those Ancestry DNA spots really annoy me. Especially the "Dear Foremothers" or "Dear Moonshiner Grandaddy". First, the letter(?) writer shouldn't have to inform them of the facts of their lives, they were there, don'tcha know, and second, they're dead, so they can't hear you telling them of their contributions to your personality. Just so stupid. 

Also, explain to me how the two women compare? The first is clearly badass since she governed millions and answered to no one. But how is her descendent anything like her? She goes on walks or hikes? What badass thing did she ever do? At least show her in the army or special forces or doing something awesome. 

• Love 10

23 and Me isn't any better. I loathe the one where some guy is trying to convince me that researching his DNA helped him figure out the best way to exercise and lose weight. The hell? How does that do anything?

• Love 8
4 hours ago, SoSueMe said:

And I must be in the minority in my hatred of the "My Favorite Things". I posted my disapproval on YouTube and I think there's been a contract put out on me. The song is fine, it's the singer and the techno pop arrangement that sucks. IMHO

Good thing I didn’t post my displeasure on YouTube, I guess, since I hate everything about “My Favorite Things.” And speaking of terrible music, I beg Nationwide, I implore Nationwide to stop with the gag-inducing glurge being sung by Leslie Odom, Jr. and Tori Kelly. 

Chevy Douche makes his triumphant return by unveiling... the Chevy cars and trucks the focus group guys and gals already own! I love the one guy who blurts out “Those are our cars!” as if Chevy Douche just pulled off the greatest magic trick of all time. 

• Love 13
(edited)

So glad to see that there are a couple of others who can't bear the "Favorite Things" song (or at least that commercial's version of it).  I, too, hate the singer's voice & the arrangement, but my primary gripe with that song has always been grammatical:  "favorite" is a superlative & there can be only one of those.  As with "best" -- only one dog can be Best In Show, all of the others are necessarily not "best".  So it's not possible (grammatically speaking) to have "a few of my favorite things" -- it's either whiskers on kittens or brown paper packages tied up with strings, you have to choose just one! 

Edited by fairffaxx
delete redundancy
  • Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, fairffaxx said:

So glad to see that there are a couple of others who can't bear the "Favorite Things" song (or at least that commercial's version of it).  I, too, hate the singer's voice & the arrangement, but my primary gripe with that song has always been grammatical:  "favorite" is a superlative & there can be only one of those.  As with "best" -- only one dog can be Best In Show, all of the others are necessarily not "best".  So it's not possible (grammatically speaking) to have "a few of my favorite things" -- it's either whiskers on kittens or brown paper packages tied up with strings, you have to choose just one! 

Respectfully disagree - favorite is not a superlative.

ETA: Favorite is an adjective modifying a noun, thus you can have all the nouns in the English language being modified with it.

Edited by chessiegal
  • Love 10
On 7/14/2018 at 8:08 PM, kariyaki said:
On 7/14/2018 at 6:42 PM, chenoa333 said:

Hey sexually active people....responsibility and diligence in taking a pill daily or an injection every few months and using condoms is pretty easy. If some drug company came up with a daily pill that kept you looking  25 years old forever, nobody would forget to take it. Including that dorky looking woman in the Kyleena commercial. I hate that fugly face she makes when she thinks she forgot to take her pill. But wait! Shes got Kyleena in her so no need to worry! Bang away baby! Lol. 

And then there's the woman who's having her luggage scanned at an airport and she's suddenly seized with the worry that she hasn't packed her pills. But then she remembers -- Kyleena!

I also continue to hate on the Cancer Treatment Centers of America commercials. I hate the way the woman says "slash breast" when giving the internet address of the CTCA where breast cancer patients can find a team of doctors to treat their cancers.

• Love 9
10 hours ago, chessiegal said:

ETA: Favorite is an adjective modifying a noun, thus you can have all the nouns in the English language being modified with it.

Yes, you can have a favorite book, a favorite song, a favorite movie, a favorite kitten with whiskers, etc.

• Love 4
14 hours ago, Brookside said:

It's not as disturbing as the "feet for hands" ad, but there's one for some kind of soda where a dad preparing food has six arms that I find grotesque.

The "feet for hands" ad is a little odd because they're saying that their product does so little that your feet would have to be up near your face to see any difference. Why should I buy an ineffective product?

• Love 4

Husbands are usually portrayed as dumb in commercials that target women. I guess they figure they can relate. 

But the Sonic doofuses are supposed to be funny, I guess. I really have no idea what the strategy is in portraying your own customer base as stupid. 

• Love 4