Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

• Start Topic

5 hours ago, Brattinella said:

She used to be very funny, but now just seems bitchy.

Consider the arc of her career.    One day you're Nora Dunn, SNL star.   You wake up years later and you're grateful to be playing a housewife in a Clorox ad.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, millennium said:

Consider the arc of her career.    One day you're Nora Dunn, SNL star.   You wake up years later and you're grateful to be playing a housewife in a Clorox ad.

The quality of SNL after her departure really suffered, and actually died.

• Love 1

...any ads that feature people - usually kids - licking food off any surface other than a plate!  Invariably disgusting.   There's one right now in which some kid licks a bunch of watermelon off his ipad screen - anyone who has used an ipad after a kid has had it for more than about a minute knows how fucking gross those screens get.  The idea of licking one makes me squirm.

• Love 3
14 hours ago, millennium said:

Matthew McConaughey makes commercials for Cadillac; wrestler John Cena is currently making commercials for a variety of projects. Do they have bad career arcs? Many celebrities make overseas commercials. If the money's regular, why not? 

According to Wikipedia, Nora Dunn has been busy since SNL days:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nora_Dunn

Other work

Dunn appeared in recurring roles on Sisters from 1993–1996 and The Nanny from 1998–1999, as well as a guest-starring role in a two-part episode of The X-Files in 1998. She appeared on LOL in 2012. In the 8th episode of the 9th season of crime procedural drama Bones, she played author Tess Brown, a feuding rival of protagonist Temperance Brennan. In 2015 she appeared in the fourth season of New Girl. In 2009 Dunn played the sister-in-law of Frank Reynolds in It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

Her film work includes Working Girl (1988), How I Got into College (1989), Miami Blues(1990), I Love Trouble (1994), Shake, Rattle and Rock! (1994), Three Kings (1999), Zoolander (2001), Max Keeble's Big Move(2001), Bruce Almighty (2003), Runaway Jury(2003), Love for Rent (2005), Pineapple Express (2008), My Suicide (2009) and Entourage (2015).

In 2014, Dunn began appearing in a series of commercials for Clorox. She has also been a storytelling contributor to Chicago's Under the Gun Theater.[5]

• Love 2
(edited)

That "had no one like me" laptop commercial actually only annoyed me (mildly) last night when I noticed that she says her blog is "usually always" about color. And something about finding what sets you apart because that's what makes you different. Well...yes.  

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

Matthew McConaughey makes commercials for Cadillac; wrestler John Cena is currently making commercials for a variety of projects. Do they have bad career arcs? Many celebrities make overseas commercials. If the money's regular, why not? 

According to Wikipedia, Nora Dunn has been busy since SNL days:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nora_Dunn

But Matthew McConaughey is still Matthew McConaughey with no loss of industry stature.   Ditto for John Cena.   Nora Dunn, who was once immediately recognizable, has washed out into the "she looks familiar" or "I think she was somebody once" category.   I'm sure it has a lot to do with sexism and ageism in the entertainment industry.

• Love 9

What the hell is wrong with the people in the Wish ads? There's the one lady who is freaking out over an ugly designer jacket and one freak who seems to have some sort of makeup brush fetish. Every time I see these ads I wonder to myself, "When did Comcast acquire the All Yelling Channel?"

• Love 9

Today at my clinic appointment, I saw the constipation medicine ad in which people are sitting on the toilet. The metaphors used for poop moving through the body made me laugh to myself. The woman in the ad goes to a car wash where her car physically moves through the building to get washed, like at Autobell. She walks and watches the car go through. The man gets a shopping cart handed to him by a grocery store employee in the parking lot (after a woman has taken a cart that he was reaching for), and he goes on toward the store. That metaphor doesn't really work. They could've shown him bowling.

• Love 4

I like the Nora Dunn commercials.  I like the "no one who looked like me commercial."  (She is so darn adorable!)  And I even like the McConaughey commercials, especially the one where he talks to his dogs in the back seat.

There are plenty of commercials that annoy me though.

• Love 1
On ‎06‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 2:05 PM, bilgistic said:

Ellie Kemper was a regular on The Office. Jane Krakowski was a regular on 30 Rock. They currently costar on Netflix's Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt. I'd say they're pretty recognizable, since those have all been multi-season shows.

Given the number of times I've seen "those women in the Sonic commercials", I'm not so sure.

• Love 6

That "had no one like me" laptop commercial actually only annoyed me (mildly) last night when I noticed that she says her blog is "usually always" about color. 

Heh. Yeah that bugs too. "Usually always" but not "always always" I guess.

But Matthew McConaughey is still Matthew McConaughey with no loss of industry stature.   Ditto for John Cena.   Nora Dunn, who was once immediately recognizable, has washed out into the "she looks familiar" or "I think she was somebody once" category.   I'm sure it has a lot to do with sexism and ageism in the entertainment industry.

Nora Dunn walked out on SNL in protest of Andrew Dice Clay being asked to host. I always thought her career suffered as a result of it. 

I kind of liked the commercial where the couple goes to get insurance and the agent is a robot but now they're making a whole series out of this and for the life of me I can't remember what company the ad is for, so double fail.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Ilovecomputers said:

He always seems a little odd, but I did enjoy watching him driving around his dogs asking what they wanted to eat for dinner.

Yeah, but he gets a little snotty with them, telling them he gets to decide, since he's the one driving.  I always hope they will leave him a little surprise in the back seat.

• Love 11
On ‎6‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 2:54 PM, bilgistic said:

Today at my clinic appointment, I saw the constipation medicine ad in which people are sitting on the toilet. The metaphors used for poop moving through the body made me laugh to myself. The woman in the ad goes to a car wash where her car physically moves through the building to get washed, like at Autobell. She walks and watches the car go through. The man gets a shopping cart handed to him by a grocery store employee in the parking lot (after a woman has taken a cart that he was reaching for), and he goes on toward the store. That metaphor doesn't really work. They could've shown him bowling.

Or perhaps dropping the kids off at the pool?

• Love 7

Most of the Credit Karma commercials are annoying, but generally harmless, except the one with the kids playing in the basement, worried that their father's bad credit rating will mean they'll lose their house. They're looking at a treasure map, hoping to find gold that will help the family. Down the stairs comes Bitch Mom, who says, "OK, nerds, we signed up for Credit Karma, so we'll be fine." To this, one of the other kids says, "Your mom's mean."

Damn straight, kid. What's the point of showing the mom is an insensitive bitch, mocking her child & her child's friends for their real concern? Now I want them to lose the house, and for dad to take the kid and get the hell away from Bitch Mom.

• Love 11

So glad to see that I am not alone in my utter hatred for that horrific Apple ad.  The singing ... is so tuneless... and droning that it makes me physically angry.

I mean, my fuse is micro-sized these days anyways, but that frickin’ ad helps nothing.

• Love 11
21 hours ago, mojoween said:

So glad to see that I am not alone in my utter hatred for that horrific Apple ad.  The singing ... is so tuneless... and droning that it makes me physically angry.

I mean, my fuse is micro-sized these days anyways, but that frickin’ ad helps nothing.

I was just coming on here to gripe about this ad. Glad to see I am not the only one. It really creeps me out. My daughter likens it to music that would be the intro to a summer camp slasher movie.

Who approves these ads? 

• Love 4

There is a Starbucks commercial that I hear during podcasts and it is just so stupid. The voiceover lady says something like, "THIS...is a [Super-Crazy Refreshing Something]. And THIS is a [Some Other Damn Drink]. And THIS is a Starbucks [Whatever Kind of Concoction]. Blah-de-blah-de-blah, Starbucks."

So, no mention of Starbucks until halfway through all the various THISes. Also, it is a PODCAST--how the fuck am supposed to know what "THIS" is?! 

• Love 2

There are two commercials on the radio that make me insane.

1 - Some 'grandma' reading a letter she wrote to her grandson about "are you going to become a lawyer like..." I can't even remember what it is for but what makes me nuts is that it's SO obvious that it's some stupid person talking like a grandma. They seriously can't hire an old lady to read the script in the commercial?

2 - Geico. Wicked Witch of the West is on line at an amusement park to ride a water slide and again, the voice of the witch is so fake, but as soon as she starts to slide, she yells, "I'm melted. You melted me or something." Is the phrase "I'm melt-ING" copyrighted or something? So stupid. 

On the TV front, there is a guy sitting in the kitchen eating cereal watching the news on a large screen TV that is mounted to what looks like a wall in the kitchen. Kid comes in, says nothing, picks up remote and changes channel to cartoons, ignores dad and eats and watches TV. Now, mind you, I don't have kids so I have no reference for that but it pissed me off big time and if I was dad, I'd take the remote back and put back what I was watching. Then they both laugh at the cartoons and the commercial says something about family time or together or something and I'm thinking that watching television at the kitchen counter and not actually talking to each other is not my idea of family time.

• Love 10

2 - Geico. Wicked Witch of the West is on line at an amusement park to ride a water slide and again, the voice of the witch is so fake, but as soon as she starts to slide, she yells, "I'm melted. You melted me or something." Is the phrase "I'm melt-ING" copyrighted or something? So stupid. 

Commercials have problems with "melt," I think! I can't even count the number of fast food ones in which the touted item features "melty cheese." That sounds stupid!

• Love 2

On the TV front, there is a guy sitting in the kitchen eating cereal watching the news on a large screen TV that is mounted to what looks like a wall in the kitchen. Kid comes in, says nothing, picks up remote and changes channel to cartoons, ignores dad and eats and watches TV. Now, mind you, I don't have kids so I have no reference for that but it pissed me off big time and if I was dad, I'd take the remote back and put back what I was watching. Then they both laugh at the cartoons and the commercial says something about family time or together or something and I'm thinking that watching television at the kitchen counter and not actually talking to each other is not my idea of family time.

That kid needs cereal eating lessons. It's a milk ad, but it can't decide what it wants to be. It looks like one of those commercials promoting family togetherness that used to air in the 80s.

• Love 2

UGH!!! The new Shriners Children Hospital commercial. I cannot take it anymore. It breaks my heart to see those poor kids have serious medical conditions, but I cannot stand seeing the commercial over and over again. I will now get ready for my trip to you know where.

The St. Jude's commercials make me wonder if people know they don't accept everybody. Your kid has to be referred and qualify to be accepted as a patient. From their own website

To be accepted at St. Jude, children must be eligible for one of our open clinical trials or meet one of the additional criteria listed below. They must also be referred by a physician or qualified medical professional.

Requirements for acceptance to a St. Jude clinical trial include:

Age range

Type and stage of disease

Other medical criteria including organ function, blood values, performance scores, etc.

Some trials only accept children if they have not yet begun treatment.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, configdotsys said:

Right? If one of my kids did that, they'd wish they hadn't. Brat. 

• Love 8
6 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I remember when we didn't have to have a TV in every room of the house, and, except weekends, we weren't allowed to watch TV at breakfast (or dinner).  Get off my lawn!  :)

I remembered when you had to get up to change the channel, and only had local stations. I feel so old. Get off my lawn!

18 hours ago, configdotsys said:

Oddly enough, that may well be a possibility, configdotsys, since the original line comes from The Wizard of Oz.  It wouldn't be too surprising that the studio might have original character dialogue locked up by copyrights.  If so, Geico would need permission to use the line and would probably have to pay handsomely to do so.

7 hours ago, bigskygirl said:

I remembered when you had to get up to change the channel, and only had local stations. I feel so old. Get off my lawn!

And if the President was on, your night was *shot*![/Foxworthy]

• Love 10
6 hours ago, Tunia said:

Oddly enough, that may well be a possibility, configdotsys, since the original line comes from The Wizard of Oz.  It wouldn't be too surprising that the studio might have original character dialogue locked up by copyrights.  If so, Geico would need permission to use the line and would probably have to pay handsomely to do so.

I definitely knew where the line came from. :) It was really weird to hear a take of on that exact phrase that used the incorrect line when it's known by everyone in the universe.  I really thought it would be very strange if that line was copyrighted but if it is, they were very smart way back then to do that. Geico should have come up with a different commercial. I just don't think "You melted me" or whatever the hells she says, works.

10 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

That's what my little sister was for.

Bro, is that you? I was the channel changer in the house. We couldn't let Mother do it, because she carried a strong electrical charge and would screw up the reception whenever she got near the tv. (My father's explanation; don't know how true that is, but she could make street lights go off just by walking past them.)

• Love 9
4 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Bro, is that you? I was the channel changer in the house. We couldn't let Mother do it, because she carried a strong electrical charge and would screw up the reception whenever she got near the tv. (My father's explanation; don't know how true that is, but she could make street lights go off just by walking past them.)

I'm that way with watches. I strap on a wristwatch and it stops working within a day. I remember when the TV was only in the rec room but I could have it in my room if I was sick. My dad would bring me Hostess fruit pies.

• Love 12