Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, NYGirl said:

I cannot stand this commercial for FIOS with John McEnroe.  I don't know if it's local or regional but have a look and tell me that you don't want to punch John McEnroe in the throat for being such a freaking whiner.

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/AlJ7/fios-by-verizon-video-support-with-mcenroe-feat-john-mcenroe

I usually hate whining but I love this commercial.   No lemme clarify, I love callbacks and it's exactly how annoying he used to sound using the same words in the same tone, arguing with the line refs at Wimbledon.   It only depresses me that I'm reminded that we're both old enough to have white hair.

• Love 6

Apologies if this has been discussed already.  But the Sprint guy and his smug hipster glasses can seriously take a flying leap off a tall cliff any day now.  Can ya hear that, Smuggy McHipster?

On ‎9‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 9:55 PM, chessiegal said:

I agree the Panera commercials are annoying, but I ignore them because I LUV their food - their salads, soups, sandwiches. Their loyalty program gives me discounts and freebies. Next month is my birthday which means I get a free sweet, so my husband will get a double chocolate brownie that I'll take a bite of, and is SO good. So glad their turkey chili is back on the menu since it's fall, so good. /running to avoid hurling tomatoes from the Panera dislikers.

I KNOW right??!  I am a bit of a hypocrite, perhaps, in that I'm outspoken in my hatred for their commercials YET I am a lover of their food.  Namely their salads.  I'm obsessed with the Spicy Thai Chicken and the Modern Greek with Quinoa.  I've never tried the turkey chili but it's on my list.

• Love 8
5 minutes ago, Duke2801 said:

Apologies if this has been discussed already.  But the Sprint guy and his smug hipster glasses can seriously take a flying leap off a tall cliff any day now.  Can ya hear that, Smuggy McHipster?

I KNOW right??!  I am a bit of a hypocrite, perhaps, in that I'm outspoken in my hatred for their commercials YET I am a lover of their food.  Namely their salads.  I'm obsessed with the Spicy Thai Chicken and the Modern Greek with Quinoa.  I've never tried the turkey chili but it's on my list.

The Spicy Thai chicken is my favorite salad too! I've modified my vegetarian chili to include edamame and chick peas like their chili has.

• Love 2
24 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

The Spicy Thai chicken is my favorite salad too! I've modified my vegetarian chili to include edamame and chick peas like their chili has.

My favorite salad is the seasonal summer one: The Strawberry/Chicken salad with poppyseed dressing. But I always tell them no chicken, because I just want my romaine, strawberries, blueberries, pineapple, mandarin oranges and walnuts with no meat! I also love all their soups, their bagels, pastries...I never watch their commercials, because I dvr everything and I fast forward!

• Love 5

Just because I have to continue beating that "Peyton on a Sunday morning" commercial.....this is the one where he's plopped on his sofa on Sunday and wants Eli to come watch games with him. He's all sad that Eli is actually playing on Sunday and pencils him in to come over on Tuesday. Well, I'm not a fan of the NFL but if a team plays on Sunday, then isn't Monday an off day which means they resume practice on Tuesday? Which means that Peyton will still have no one to watch TV with on Tuesday since he's a lazy retiree who lives in his bathrobe? Put on some clothes and get a life, you ridiculous millionaire, like the rest of us retirees do! 

• Love 5
19 minutes ago, Spunkygal said:

Just because I have to continue beating that "Peyton on a Sunday morning" commercial.....this is the one where he's plopped on his sofa on Sunday and wants Eli to come watch games with him. He's all sad that Eli is actually playing on Sunday and pencils him in to come over on Tuesday. Well, I'm not a fan of the NFL but if a team plays on Sunday, then isn't Monday an off day which means they resume practice on Tuesday? 

Actually, Tuesday is player's day off. Monday is meetings, weightlifting, and usually a walk-through practice. Wednesday is the hard practice and media.

This "week in the life" is a couple of years old, but nothing's changed. http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/a-week-in-the-life-of-the-nfl-1.9218497

I complained about Peyton in another topic. Now he's sitting on a park bench in his bathrobe, talking to another retired man who tells him to keep working as long as he can. Geez, Peyton, you'll feel better if you get dressed.

Edited by ennui
  • Love 3
48 minutes ago, ennui said:

Actually, Tuesday is player's day off. Monday is meetings, weightlifting, and usually a walk-through practice. Wednesday is the hard practice and media.

This "week in the life" is a couple of years old, but nothing's changed. http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/a-week-in-the-life-of-the-nfl-1.9218497

I complained about Peyton in another topic. Now he's sitting on a park bench in his bathrobe, talking to another retired man who tells him to keep working as long as he can. Geez, Peyton, you'll feel better if you get dressed.

Ah, ok, thanks! So Eli WILL want to rush over and watch DirecTV with Peyton on Tuesday. Well, then, I can only hope that there are many more follow up commercials with this situation! Can't have enough of Peyton on a Sunday, or Tuesday, morning.......cue it up Lionel!

• Love 1
46 minutes ago, janie jones said:

There's some commercial for ancestry.com or something where this lady refers to her husband's ancestor as "our ancestor."  Unless you two are related, it's not "our ancestor."

Thanks, I commented on that, to myself, too.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Brattinella said:

Burlington Coat Factory:  There is NO SUCH THING as joolery!

You would think that somewhere in the world there would be actresses who can say the word jewelry, and yet every year around Christmas, without fail, its joolery. Ugh.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, janie jones said:

There's some commercial for ancestry.com or something where this lady refers to her husband's ancestor as "our ancestor."  Unless you two are related, it's not "our ancestor."

That bothers me every time I see it. It's not only ungrammatical, it's incestuous.

• Love 7
16 hours ago, Brattinella said:

Apparently, they now want to be called only Burlington. No more coats due to global warming.

15 hours ago, janie jones said:

If it's the one I'm thinking of, the part that bothers me is "I thought I married an Italian." So, now that you know he's not Italian, will you be filing for divorce?

• Love 18
31 minutes ago, ennui said:

Apparently, they now want to be called only Burlington. No more coats due to global warming.

If it's the one I'm thinking of, the part that bothers me is "I thought I married an Italian." So, now that you know he's not Italian, will you be filing for divorce?

Even 30 years ago they hardly had any coats - which was frustrating because that's what I needed to buy.

Culturally, he's still as Italian as he ever was. Never mind what happened to great-great-grandma in the war.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

That bothers me every time I see it. It's not only ungrammatical, it's incestuous.

Perhaps it may be incestuous (although distant-cousin marriages are neither incestuous nor illegal), but how is it ungrammatical?

Edited by legaleagle53
3 hours ago, ennui said:

The part that gets me is when she says "It turns out our ancestor is *eastern european* WHISPERED.  And then she whispers it again!  Like it is shameful or something. I dunno.

• Love 7

On the PBS genealogy show, "Finding Your Roots" with Louis Gates, they discovered that Kyra Sedgwick and Kevin Bacon are related. They're is something like 12th cousins; I don't remember exactly. I conducted my own genealogy search a few years ago, and I have family all over the place--a bunch in California. My ancestors supposedly helped settle North Carolina, of which I'm at least eighth-generation native. I found it fascinating, but it's A LOT of work.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

Perhaps it may be incestuous (although distant-cousin marriages are neither incestuous nor illegal), but how is it ungrammatical?

First-cousin marriage is legal in several states.

• Love 1
53 minutes ago, smittykins said:

That's a good point.*

*I had to quote you and type "good point," because if I had hit the "like" button, it would be forever documented on the internet that I like that first-cousin marriage is legal in several states.

• Love 10
2 hours ago, Brattinella said:

The part that gets me is when she says "It turns out our ancestor is *eastern european* WHISPERED.  And then she whispers it again!  Like it is shameful or something. I dunno.

I'm thinking that a lot of people are sending in their DNA for analysis, and all they really learn is that their family has been lying to them for generations.

• Love 7
On 9/30/2016 at 2:08 PM, Duke2801 said:

Exactly... Ugh the commercials, but boy... I used to have a Panera on my route to work and it was such a treat to get the egg bacon and cheese breakfast sandwich and a coffee, and just hang out reading the paper, pretending I didn't have to go to work. LOL! I also would listen for which Smiths song I'd end up hearing. Almost every time, a different Smiths song. Odd.

Edited by ivygirl
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, Jamoche said:

Culturally, he's still as Italian as he ever was. Never mind what happened to great-great-grandma in the war.

Eek! That never crossed my mind, but now I'm going to be thinking of some poor woman being raped during wartime.

4 hours ago, riley702 said:

Eek! That never crossed my mind, but now I'm going to be thinking of some poor woman being raped during wartime.

Sorry! Grandma might have been a collaborator, or maybe even had a fling with someone not during wartime! It's just that when someone gets blindsided by family history like that, odds are it's not something their ancestor wanted known.

• Love 5
7 hours ago, smittykins said:

My grandmother's family came from the backwoods of Tennessee.  Her sister married their first cousin.  THEIR parents were first cousins.  THEIR parents were first cousins.  Hey, I'm fine, really!

• Love 5
On ‎10‎/‎1‎/‎2016 at 9:52 PM, Brattinella said:

There's a local pawnshop that has two separate commercials with the camera panning over acres of gold and diamonds while spokesmodels hawk the "juury."

5 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

My grandmother's family came from the backwoods of Tennessee.  Her sister married their first cousin.  THEIR parents were first cousins.  THEIR parents were first cousins.  Hey, I'm fine, really!

Zowie!  Your ancestry.com profile must resemble a plate of linguini.

• Love 4
12 hours ago, ivygirl said:

Exactly... Ugh the commercials, but boy... I used to have a Panera on my route to work and it was such a treat to get the egg bacon and cheese breakfast sandwich and a coffee, and just hang out reading the paper, pretending I didn't have to go to work. LOL! I also would listen for which Smiths song I'd end up hearing. Almost every time, a different Smiths song. Odd.

A delish breakfast sandwich and the Smiths!  Does it get any better than that?? (answer: no!)

Hmmm I just realized that's how I pronounce it. Is that a regional thing I wonder? If so, I shall blame my western Pennsylvania upbringing again (lots of interesting word choice and pronunciation there!)  

Edited by Duke2801
  • Love 5

Everyone in those "You're_____is showing"  needs to go diaf.  I want to punch every one of them.  Cutesy, pretentious crap.  Your black eye is showing.  

Edited by OSM Mom
Because "you're" and "your" are two different words and I do know the difference.
  • Love 4

I need the background noise of the TV when I sleep, but I swear I will kill a puppy next time I'm awakened by the shoe dazzle commercial. The music is 12 decibels louder than what the volume is set at, and the weird shoe dance she does is terrible, and every single pair is beyond ugly. I have found the trigger for my rage. Instantly I have pms and its not even time for that. 

Apologies if I've offended anyone who wears knee high gladiator shoes, but seriously, stop it.

• Love 4
20 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

Perhaps ungrammatical was the wrong choice. But unless they really are brother/sister/cousins, the ancestors are not "ours", they're "his".

• Love 5

I know that the man child is a common advertising theme, but this guy seems more like the neighborhood drunk who all the parents (including his wife) unsuccessfully conspired to keep the party a secret from.

• Love 2

The Ikea ad where all of the family is ooing and ahing and tweeting and instagramming all over their son's delicious food is annoying in and of itself, but the local channels play it Twice at each commercial break during the daytime.

• Love 3

Can something be done to remove the Trivago man from my TV?  I hated him when he was unshaven & unkempt, but I don't like him any more now that he's cleaned up.  The real problem is that he appears every 10 seconds!  Who thought this was a good idea?  Go away!!

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Silver Raven said:

The Ikea ad where all of the family is ooing and ahing and tweeting and instagramming all over their son's delicious food is annoying in and of itself, but the local channels play it Twice at each commercial break during the daytime.

Same here, along with two repeats of the same California political anti-proposition ad. All those states that don't have countless propositions on the ballot - you are so lucky.

• Love 2

That's bad, but the all-time winner for me was that damn "gotta go!" jingle, which I always managed to hear right before a car trip, so that it would be stuck in my head the whole way. "Gotta go gotta go gotta go gotta go gotta go gotta go RIGHT NOW!"

• Love 3

The Toyota commercial where everyone is horrifically caterwauling "You Don't Own Me" literally enrages me.  

I shout at the TV every single time it is on that I hate it and it's horrible and I want them to just STOP SINGING.  My family thinks I am unhinged.

• Love 10

Ziploc's current slogan is life needs Ziploc.  The precursor for this statement is a bit of 2nd grade theatre called "Cafeteria Chaos" which takes us through the momentary struggle this particular baby is having trying to open her bag of generically traditional potato chips.  She makes a face, she pulls this way and that, until finally, inevitably, the bag explodes open and shards of fried potato go launching into the air, injuring countless children in their wake.   Then we see mom, in the kitchen, avoiding any future calamities altogether by simply putting the baby's snacks in a Ziploc bag.

On 10/1/2016 at 10:17 PM, Spunkygal said:

Just because I have to continue beating that "Peyton on a Sunday morning" commercial.....this is the one where he's plopped on his sofa on Sunday and wants Eli to come watch games with him. He's all sad that Eli is actually playing on Sunday and pencils him in to come over on Tuesday. Well, I'm not a fan of the NFL but if a team plays on Sunday, then isn't Monday an off day which means they resume practice on Tuesday? Which means that Peyton will still have no one to watch TV with on Tuesday since he's a lazy retiree who lives in his bathrobe? Put on some clothes and get a life, you ridiculous millionaire, like the rest of us retirees do! 

Maybe he's a Giants fan.  God knows this makes the rest of us sad.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, random chance said:

That's bad, but the all-time winner for me was that damn "gotta go!" jingle, which I always managed to hear right before a car trip, so that it would be stuck in my head the whole way. "Gotta go gotta go gotta go gotta go gotta go gotta go RIGHT NOW!"

I want that commercial and everyone associated with it to die in a fire.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, ZaldamoWilder said:

Ziploc's current slogan is life needs Ziploc.  The precursor for this statement is a bit of 2nd grade theatre called "Cafeteria Chaos" which takes us through the momentary struggle this particular baby is having trying to open her bag of generically traditional potato chips.  She makes a face, she pulls this way and that, until finally, inevitably, the bag explodes open and shards of fried potato go launching into the air, injuring countless children in their wake.   Then we see mom, in the kitchen, avoiding any future calamities altogether by simply putting the baby's snacks in a Ziploc bag.

A) The snack company that originally bagged her potato chips has mastered the technology of creating pocket dimensions; more chips were in that bag than could actually fit inside the bag.  Her incorrectly opening the bag must have ruffled spacetime.

B) That scene should have been in black and white.

• Love 17
5 hours ago, 3pwood said:

Can something be done to remove the Trivago man from my TV?  I hated him when he was unshaven & unkempt, but I don't like him any more now that he's cleaned up.  The real problem is that he appears every 10 seconds!  Who thought this was a good idea?  Go away!!

I like the one where his wife threw him out & he needs a hotel for a while.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, mojoween said:

The Toyota commercial where everyone is horrifically caterwauling "You Don't Own Me" literally enrages me.  

I shout at the TV every single time it is on that I hate it and it's horrible and I want them to just STOP SINGING.  My family thinks I am unhinged.

That other car commercial where the woman is daydreaming she's on some American Idol knockoff is just as bad, because in her daydream people are actually applauding even though she's a lousy singer.

• Love 4

A) The snack company that originally bagged her potato chips has mastered the technology of creating pocket dimensions; more chips were in that bag than could actually fit inside the bag.  Her incorrectly opening the bag must have ruffled spacetime.

B) That scene should have been in black and white.

With a red X flashing over it, of course.

• Love 4
16 hours ago, random chance said:

Well, at LEAST they didn't show what a bladder was supposed to look like. Too bad it sounded like an Andrews Sister song re its beat and tempo because, were it not for the subject matter, I'd have liked it.

• Love 1