Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

Actually I have always thought the men are stupid meme is nothing more than chauvinism reversed engineered.  It  pats women on the head because they are just so good...at being the nurturing (i.e. stay at home) parent.  they are just so good at cooking and cleaning.  So good at making sure the silly stupid man is fed and cared for.  Because men are soooo stupid they can't work...at home.  No they have to take all those silly willy jobs as corporate management jobs and professional level jobs because they are just so useless.  At folding clothes and finding things in the fridge and actually being a parent.  No men have to be shoved out the door by the competent woman who is the only one able to get her husband and brood out the door out into the meaningless world no one actually cares about.  Yeah right.

I guess this is true, but OTOH can you imagine the shitstorm that would happen if the script got flipped? They don't make ads where wives look like idiots at household tasks in comparison to their husbands being competent, and if they did, I'd be willing to bet cash that it wouldn't be pretty. I said upthread that those damned Yoplait ads would aggravate me less if another commercial the husband would turn it around on his nag of a wife and ask her why she was hanging out in front of the open fridge mentally fondling his imported beer, and I was kind of being facetious, but at the same time that's something that would never happen.

• Love 2
(edited)

It has likely been mentioned, but the New Papa John's ad, promoting their Pepsi deal? Awful. "Finishing a pizza without a soda is like buying an expensive sports car and deciding to paint it beige." You would know, because you can afford a sports car? Sir, you are smug and deplorable in so many ways. Also, don't critique my pizza habits.

Cause that AH can afford a turn-table of cars free pop is not a new idea and its not better pizza so STFU "PAPA" John.

Edited by xls
  • Love 2

Papa John's is the Yugo of pizza.

And your thoughts on Little Ceasars?  The motorized scooter of the pizza world?

Actually I have always thought the men are stupid meme is nothing more than chauvinism reversed engineered.  It  pats women on the head because they are just so good...at being the nurturing (i.e. stay at home) parent.  they are just so good at cooking and cleaning.  So good at making sure the silly stupid man is fed and cared for.  Because men are soooo stupid they can't work...at home.  No they have to take all those silly willy jobs as corporate management jobs and professional level jobs because they are just so useless.  At folding clothes and finding things in the fridge and actually being a parent.  No men have to be shoved out the door by the competent woman who is the only one able to get her husband and brood out the door out into the meaningless world no one actually cares about.  Yeah right.

It just sort of sucks too, because it sets this ideal for women thats the tiniest bit unfair because so many women work today.  Its like "okay, well you're obviously the only one that can handle anything in the house, so you'll have to work a full day, be just as tired as your husband, but he can just goof off like a jackass because he isn't expected to do much of anything, you on the other hand have to clean up, cook, and answer all the questions the kids ask because that isn't really daddy's place"

I guess this is true, but OTOH can you imagine the shitstorm that would happen if the script got flipped? They don't make ads where wives look like idiots at household tasks in comparison to their husbands being competent, and if they did, I'd be willing to bet cash that it wouldn't be pretty. I said upthread that those damned Yoplait ads would aggravate me less if another commercial the husband would turn it around on his nag of a wife and ask her why she was hanging out in front of the open fridge mentally fondling his imported beer, and I was kind of being facetious, but at the same time that's something that would never happen.

I think both of you bring up really good points, that I would not have thought about otherwise.  But I guess its safer for men to be portrayed as simpering idiots because than not much is expected of them.  I giggle in my head imagining that poor bastard with his regaining at least one of his balls with a well timed "Babe, what are you doing?"

But they have done that. Take a look at vintage ads to see how women have been treated.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/briangalindo/17-ridiculously-sexist-vintage-ads

In my life, there is some validity to the 'men can be kind of clueless' trope in commercials. For whatever reason, he can't look behind something in the fridge or cabinet even though I insist what he is looking for is RIGHT THERE. I think in the ten years we have lived in our current house, he has run the vacuum five times. It's like he doesn't know where it is!

I said upthread that those damned Yoplait ads would aggravate me less if another commercial the husband would turn it around on his nag of a wife and ask her why she was hanging out in front of the open fridge mentally fondling his imported beer, and I was kind of being facetious, but at the same time that's something that would never happen.

The damn Yoplait ads would bother me less if they flipped the script entirely, and had the wife standing in front of the fridge looking for all the delicious goodies the husband is eating while still losing weight.

• Love 1
(edited)

Maybe men are smarter than we think they are when it comes to housework.  You know, for example, intentionally putting a red shirt into a load of whites thereby ruining them so he'll never be asked to do the laundry again.  Or "accidentally" breaking a piece of the good china while washing dishes so he'll never be asked to wash the dishes again. lol  You get the idea.      

Oh, I called my husband on this a long time ago.  After first denying it, and a few heart-to-hearts about how I was feeling about having to bear the entire burden of housework in addition to my full-time job, he admitted that he had been making it difficult for me to ask for help.  Not to get out of it, per se, but just to make me hesitate to ask him under the old "it's just easier to do it myself!" idea.

Of course, to get this behavior to stop, I had to agree to accept his solid best try at things, even if he did them differently than I would.  Being a fully adult person who had never even been taught how to wash a dish or fold a towel, he was frustrated that he was trying and I was just getting mad because he was doing it so poorly.  Whereas I'd been taught how to do these things, he'd literally had so little training; he is of the age when boys didn't take home ec in school and his mom did everything for him.  So the lessons commenced, and he learned how to wash dishes and vacuum and mop floors.  Now he's better at these things than I am.  :-)

As for the whole housework = women, there is a corollary to that which is mechanical/tools = men. My husband and I joke about how when a commercial is showing a woman working a drill, they are demonstrating how EASY it is to use.  "So easy even a WOMAN can do it!"  The same goes for cleaning products or implements  . . . if they show a man successfully working one of these, it's EASY.  Of course, because men are just so very clueless about housework, they've yet to make a paper towel that's easy enough for them to use, so you very rarely see that version.  There are a few - Swiffer for example.

Edited by Aquarius
  • Love 1
(edited)

But they have done that. Take a look at vintage ads to see how women have been treated.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/briangalindo/17-ridiculously-sexist-vintage-ads

In my life, there is some validity to the 'men can be kind of clueless' trope in commercials. For whatever reason, he can't look behind something in the fridge or cabinet even though I insist what he is looking for is RIGHT THERE. I think in the ten years we have lived in our current house, he has run the vacuum five times. It's like he doesn't know where it is!

I clicked the link, and to be fair, all of those ads were made sixty-five years ago. The same ads wouldn't be made today, that was my point. Society's changed since my father was a kid. Hell, society's changed since I was a kid. I can't even imagine someone who works for a modern ad agency seriously suggesting using any of the ideas in the article you linked. I just can't. If there's a current ad campaign where the presumption is that the wife is the one who's hopeless at doing anything domestic while her husband and/or children are awesome at it, I haven't seen it.

As for real life, home training is part of it. I had friends growing up who never so much as washed a dish while they were living under their parents' roofs, but in my house there were chores to do so I could get my allowance at the end of the week.

Maybe acting is even part of what's annoying about these commercials. When the Yogurt Bitch says, 'Babe, what are you doing?" she has this tone to it, like he's either been standing in front of the fridge for an hour or this is just his latest foray in daring to open the door and look inside. As if he doesn't live in the damned house with her or something. It's the presumption that he's a moron who's bothering her by opening the refrigerator while she's yakking on the phone* that grates my cheese, and I realize that not everyone is going to see it that way. In real life, if you talk to someone like they're an imbecile, it might start a fight.

*I actually don't mind that she's yakking on the phone, but don't cell phone bills cost money, the way running the fridge costs money?

Edited by Cobalt Stargazer
  • Love 3

Seriously? Kelly Ripa needs ANOTHER product to shill? I could kill whoever "discovered" her on AMC and has turned her into a grating spokesperson for anything and everything.

She's now a spokesperson for Colgate, where she spins around in a half white/half red chair and I for real thought it was some bizaare maxi pad or tampon commercial. I wondered WTH was going on with Kelly Ripa's period where she had some weird bleeding condition that needed half a pad. And I do NOT need to think of Kelly Ripa or anything about her, including her teeth, her kitchen appliances, her menstrual cycle and anything else that she chirps about.

• Love 6

Speaking of Kelly Ripa needing another product to shill, and Yoplait, it astounds me that Lisa Kudrow did voice-overs for Yoplait commercials. The cast of Friends made $22 million dollars a season the last five years of that show, they've all got to be richer than the Sultan of Brunei - why in the hell would any of them need to do yogurt commercials? Bad investments?

What's with the commercial with athletes going through training and playing games to the soundtrack of Bibbidi-Bobbidi-Boo from Disney's Cinderella? I think it's for Gatorade. I. Don't. Get it.

Maybe acting is even part of what's annoying about these commercials. When the Yogurt Bitch says, 'Babe, what are you doing?" she has this tone to it, like he's either been standing in front of the fridge for an hour or this is just his latest foray in daring to open the door and look inside. As if he doesn't live in the damned house with her or something. It's the presumption that he's a moron who's bothering her by opening the refrigerator while she's yakking on the phone* that grates my cheese, and I realize that not everyone is going to see it that way. In real life, if you talk to someone like they're an imbecile, it might start a fight.

*I actually don't mind that she's yakking on the phone, but don't cell phone bills cost money, the way running the fridge costs money?

Yes! Exactly what you said, and her tone is a lot of it, but I think that was the tone that they wanted, so she sounds just so smart and can emasculate him by asking in her best naggy shrew voice about why he is even daring to look into the refrigerator.  And yes, maybe if she would shut her trap she could police the refrigerator better so he wouldn't have even been able to sneak in.

• Love 3

Also, implying that their pizza is comparable to an expensive sports car is hilarious. That crap is the Ford Pinto of pizza. 

When does it explode? heh heh heh

There's this ad back in circulation with this dorky-looking Billy Bad-ass for a car battery with cheap CGI efects to show us just how tough this loser is (killing a man, punching a rhino in the face, shrugging off a tank shooying him in the gut, etc) that makes my blood pressure spike.

• Love 1

The very notion that men cannot fathom simple household chores only holds truth in that Madison avenue has done its job well.  Granted I'm a homosexual.  But I also play in one of the premier la crosse leagues I manage accounts that are in the multi millions for the 12/13/14 largest privately held firm in the world (it depends on the day really where we rank).  I've rebuilt cars I use a wicked chain saw I installed my own plumbing and electricity (wait a minute, does this mean I'm actually a lesbian...)

point is I can wield a wicked Dyson (dirty jokes to the left please), I can cook well enough that I am the default in the kitchen among some rather lamely pretentious but beloved foodies.  And these isn't a straight man I know who cannot do the same if he wanted to.  Or felt he needed to.  There are tons of manly straight men of my new generation who were raised by single fathers or mothers and know that if you want to eat?  You might want to learn to cook.  And if the food is good you might want to clean so you aren't fighting off the vermin for it.

But not only are there ads that sell the false men can't do housework or parent well, but also ones that hammer the notion home that when they do they are rare and they have to give up some of their dignity and masculinity.  Even the burliest of men will dress up in drag for a little girl's tea party for some Doritos.  Or gets patted on the head for at least trying to fold baby clothes that will stay folded according to the ad's own narrative for all of a few hours.  Of course he can't do it.  Even though we can see clear as fuck he does.  Don't even get me started on the man who looks like the week prior was modeling underwear in Milan who grew a beard stopped shaving his chest long enough to accidentally wash himself with his wife's lady part magic potion and the only way he can grow his dick back is to mow the yard in a spiked helmet he forges himself.

So maybe some men are naturally inept at certain household chores.  Simply because they are inept.  They have an equal number of women who can't clean either due to not wanting to, not liking it and therefore subconsciously failing.  Because last time I checked my cupboards Proctor and Gamble had all their directions written in English.  Not some secret Moon Goddess Uterine Dialect,

• Love 4

The very notion that men cannot fathom simple household chores only holds truth in that Madison avenue has done its job well.  Granted I'm a homosexual.  But I also play in one of the premier la crosse leagues I manage accounts that are in the multi millions for the 12/13/14 largest privately held firm in the world (it depends on the day really where we rank).  I've rebuilt cars I use a wicked chain saw I installed my own plumbing and electricity (wait a minute, does this mean I'm actually a lesbian...)

point is I can wield a wicked Dyson (dirty jokes to the left please), I can cook well enough that I am the default in the kitchen among some rather lamely pretentious but beloved foodies.  And these isn't a straight man I know who cannot do the same if he wanted to.  Or felt he needed to.  There are tons of manly straight men of my new generation who were raised by single fathers or mothers and know that if you want to eat?  You might want to learn to cook.  And if the food is good you might want to clean so you aren't fighting off the vermin for it.

But not only are there ads that sell the false men can't do housework or parent well, but also ones that hammer the notion home that when they do they are rare and they have to give up some of their dignity and masculinity.  Even the burliest of men will dress up in drag for a little girl's tea party for some Doritos.  Or gets patted on the head for at least trying to fold baby clothes that will stay folded according to the ad's own narrative for all of a few hours.  Of course he can't do it.  Even though we can see clear as fuck he does.  Don't even get me started on the man who looks like the week prior was modeling underwear in Milan who grew a beard stopped shaving his chest long enough to accidentally wash himself with his wife's lady part magic potion and the only way he can grow his dick back is to mow the yard in a spiked helmet he forges himself.

So maybe some men are naturally inept at certain household chores.  Simply because they are inept.  They have an equal number of women who can't clean either due to not wanting to, not liking it and therefore subconsciously failing.  Because last time I checked my cupboards Proctor and Gamble had all their directions written in English.  Not some secret Moon Goddess Uterine Dialect,

Wow - if you're ever in the market for a marriage to a straight woman look me up!  You sound like a dreamboat...except for one tiny detail.... :)

• Love 1
(edited)

Speaking of Kelly Ripa needing another product to shill, and Yoplait, it astounds me that Lisa Kudrow did voice-overs for Yoplait commercials. The cast of Friends made $22 million dollars a season the last five years of that show, they've all got to be richer than the Sultan of Brunei - why in the hell would any of them need to do yogurt commercials? Bad investments?

What's with the commercial with athletes going through training and playing games to the soundtrack of Bibbidi-Bobbidi-Boo from Disney's Cinderella? I think it's for Gatorade. I. Don't. Get it.

Kelly Ripa is annoying in the Colgate commercial with her "mouth health" and "You can do it".

I kind of assume when actors do voiceovers they might not be able to get any acting work. .However, Lisa Kudrow does have that reality show Who Do You Think You Are?

Edited by MrsEVH

Speaking of celebrity endorsements, is Shaq really so hard up for cash that he needs to shill Gold Bond with some exceptionally weird movements? I can't tell if he's making a terrible attempt at dancing or having a seizure.

• Love 1

The hair scurrying off the guy's head is one thing, but the guy being the woman's hero and gaining her affection because his disembodied scalp won a baby in a carnival machine, because women love babies? Ugh. FOAD, Old Spice.

• Love 5

There's a new series of Old Spice hair product ads that are ... at best ... bizarre.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcP7AZgsMJI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8ySyevrYm8

In my nightmares that what I imagine Donald Trumps hair doing.  Like Donald is sleeping and his hair just crawls off his head and is out doing his evil bidding.  

But seriously, that commercial is absolutely awful, the crawling hair looks like some sort of awful animal thats going to bite at any minute.  How are women not freaked out by this?  and yes bilgistic, I totally agree that its absolutely sexist and assholey to assume that women are going to be impressed with a guy who wins them a baby, just like its sexist to assume I want to protect fucking Yoplait yogurt.  Cause I'm sure as a woman I have no aspirations in life other than giving birth and protecting a refrigerator full of nasty ass yogurt.

And BTW, even if I want to have a kid, I don't want to have it with a guy who has haunted hair.

• Love 4

Kelly Ripa is annoying in the Colgate commercial with her "mouth health" and "You can do it".

I kind of assume when actors do voiceovers they might not be able to get any acting work. .However, Lisa Kudrow does have that reality show Who Do You Think You Are?

I believe her show "The. Comeback" is also returning.

Kudrow is also a producer of WDYTYA; she also has enough Friends money to never work again if that's what she wanted to do. I doubt she's doing the VO ads because she couldn't get other work. It's more likely they just threw a ton of money at her so she said "sure".

• Love 1
Maybe acting is even part of what's annoying about these commercials. When the Yogurt Bitch™ says, 'Babe, what are you doing?" she has this tone to it, like he's either been standing in front of the fridge for an hour or this is just his latest foray in daring to open the door and look inside.

I think this is a case of MMV because I don't hear anything wrong with the woman's tone.  

• Love 3

What about the Ashley Furniture commercial with my favorite couple, Giulianna and Bill Rancid, I mean Rancic........

Why would I want to buy anything from a store that these 2 pompous annoying people shop at? Yuck

• Love 2

I loathe the TWC commercials, but this one is particularly hated.  It's yet another bitchy wife/doofus husband routine, but in this one the wife is creepy as hell.   Add the annoying coach who I wish someone would find a football to Marcia Brady him with and it's an instant channel changer to me.  The only one of these TWC commercials I can even barely tolerate is the Suits one, and that's sadly because the characters act more like themselves in the commercial than the do on the show anymore.

It's more likely they just threw a ton of money at her so she said "sure".

I agree. I feel like I say this too often already, but I'll venture it just once more: commercial work is about the best paycheck in the business, and it keeps on paying as long as the campaign runs. I never wonder why anyone, no matter how famous, would do it.

I'll also speak up as someone who hears only neutrality, or perhaps friendly interest, in the Yoplait woman's tone.

• Love 1

I agree. I feel like I say this too often already, but I'll venture it just once more: commercial work is about the best paycheck in the business, and it keeps on paying as long as the campaign runs. I never wonder why anyone, no matter how famous, would do it.

I'll also speak up as someone who hears only neutrality, or perhaps friendly interest, in the Yoplait woman's tone.

Hey, it takes all sorts to make the world go around.  They ran that commercial about 17 billion times, so someone likes it, although I only hear "naggy shrew"  in her voice.   They may not have been aiming for my demographic. 

I was watching a documentary the other day called "Chasing Beauty" about the pitfalls of the modelling world, and one part of it focused on how models are getting fewer ad campaigns because actresses are taking them, and the commentators made the same point when asked an Academy Award winner like Charlize Theron would start advertising for Chanel.  They all said the same thing, its a ton of money and you can make it quick

The bitch faced bride in this TW Cable commercial can go away.

http://www.ispot.tv/ad/7Tow/time-warner-cable-something-old-feat-bill-cower

And she can take this valley girl voiced wife with her:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z78RU7_zbbg

yikes, why does she have to talk to him like that?  If you're upset, just say so, don't talk to him like a 4 year old.  If I were a man I would never in my life want to get married.  As a woman I'm scared that marriage will turn me into yoplait shrew or this cable bitch.  

Didn't someone suggest they all get a house together?  This woman needs to be thrown into the house, but only with a couch, because thats all she wanted.

• Love 3

The Yoplait woman may or may not have tone when she asks the question. What seals the deal for me (and this may be another commercial), is when he says ,"I gotta go," and she just smirks and nods smugly. Like, really? What the hell has transpired that he needs to end his conversation and deal with consequences?

Put me in "the wife can FOAD" club.

• Love 4
(edited)
yikes, why does she have to talk to him like that?  If you're upset, just say so, don't talk to him like a 4 year old.  If I were a man I would never in my life want to get married.  As a woman I'm scared that marriage will turn me into yoplait shrew or this cable bitch.  

Didn't someone suggest they all get a house together?  This woman needs to be thrown into the house, but only with a couch, because thats all she wanted.

If you notice, she also asks, "What are you doing?" when she comes into the living room and sees all the furniture. Is that the new trend, asking questions you already know the answer to in a really (IMO) annoying voice?

• Love 1

Kudrow is also a producer of WDYTYA; she also has enough Friends money to never work again if that's what she wanted to do. I doubt she's doing the VO ads because she couldn't get other work. It's more likely they just threw a ton of money at her so she said "sure".

In the world Lisa lives in, you can never be to thin or to rich.

• Love 1

On another topic: M-A-R-Y, J-E-F-F, and L-I-S-A can S-T-F-U about their C-O-P-D.

I hate that ad. It reminds me of how adults spell out things so the children won't know what they're talking about.

The hair scurrying off the guy's head is one thing, but the guy being the woman's hero and gaining her affection because his disembodied scalp won a baby in a carnival machine, because women love babies? Ugh. FOAD, Old Spice.

Gah! I'm going to have nightmares about that tonight!
  • Love 1

If you notice, she also asks, "What are you doing?" when she comes into the living room and sees all the furniture. Is that the new trend, asking questions you already know the answer to in a really (IMO) annoying voice?

Did she really ask that?  Bitch, I'm sitting on a fucking chair, what the hell are YOU doing?

• Love 3

Did she really ask that?  Bitch, I'm sitting on a fucking chair, what the hell are YOU doing?

Okay, so I looked at the ad again, and she didn't say "What are you doing?" but "What did you do?" Which is just as frigging annoying to me. It's his house too. Maybe she should have gone to the damned store with him instead of wherever she went, since he clearly can't be trusted to make a move without her.

• Love 1
I was watching a documentary the other day called "Chasing Beauty" about the pitfalls of the modelling world, and one part of it focused on how models are getting fewer ad campaigns because actresses are taking them, and the commentators made the same point when asked an Academy Award winner like Charlize Theron would start advertising for Chanel.  They all said the same thing, its a ton of money and you can make it quick
But that explains why I would take the job, not why a millionaire would take the job.  If you already have a bajillion dollars, a couple million more isn't going to really mean that much to you.  It's not like commercials are prestigious or anything (although they're apparently fun for some people).  I mean, @Watcher0363 is probably right, some of the actors can never be too rich.   I guess I'm lazy, but if I had Lisa Kudrow's money, I wouldn't be doing anything just for the paycheck.  Even if it is easy money, it's not likely to be a quantity of money that would make a difference to me, so why even bother.
  • Love 2

But that explains why I would take the job, not why a millionaire would take the job.  If you already have a bajillion dollars, a couple million more isn't going to really mean that much to you.  It's not like commercials are prestigious or anything (although they're apparently fun for some people).  I mean, @Watcher0363 is probably right, some of the actors can never be too rich.   I guess I'm lazy, but if I had Lisa Kudrow's money, I wouldn't be doing anything just for the paycheck.  Even if it is easy money, it's not likely to be a quantity of money that would make a difference to me, so why even bother.

Your point is well taken, but I don't know how some of these people are spending I guess.  If you're at Lisa Kudrow's level you are probably taking care of your friends and family.  You have a huge house, which costs money to upkeep.  She probably has monthly expenses that you and I couldn't even begin to fathom.  And she doesn't know where her next acting job will come from or how long any of those projects will last.  Some people had a lot of money tied up in the stock market when it took a dump, and quite a few hollywood celebrities have been victims of financial investor scam artists.  

And it may be a good way for actors who want to continue to work but are in a dry spell to stay in front of the public eye.  I haven't seen a movie lately from Charlize Theron, but that Chanel ad campaign keeps her in the public eye and its steady work.  Those are the reasons I could think of anyways.  

And maybe she just enjoys the work.

Okay, so I looked at the ad again, and she didn't say "What are you doing?" but "What did you do?" Which is just as frigging annoying to me. It's his house too. Maybe she should have gone to the damned store with him instead of wherever she went, since he clearly can't be trusted to make a move without her.

well, then like you said, its fairly obvious what he did, he purchase a shitload of furniture.  If you're gonna be mad just come out and get on with it.  Unless he generally sleepwalks and buys stuff you know exactly what happened, you asked him to buy a couch, he bought more than that.  Its not a Scooby Doo mystery, you don't need Nancy Drew to figure out what happened.

• Love 3
(edited)

Maybe it's because I grew up in the 1970s, but I remember a time when it was women who were treated with disrespect in commercials from that era.  Does anyone remember the "ring around the collar" commercials for Wisk?  A husband and wife would be out someplace and someone would point out to the husband that he had "ring around the collar," whereupon he would give his wife a dirty look (of the "if looks could kill" variety).  What was her reaction?  Instead of telling her husband that he could shove his death glare and do the laundry himself if he had a problem with the way she did it, she simply groaned about the fact that her powdered detergent didn't work!

I think both men and woman are the subject of stereotypes and sexism in commercials.  For women, it's the nagging, bitchy, shrewish harpies that know it all (ref: Yoplait shrew, refrigerator bitch ragging on her son and husband) and for men it's that they're clueless, drooling, emasculated morons incapable of so much as breathing without their wife's help (ref:  Yoplait's shrew husband, refrigerator bitch' son and husband).  I find both portrayals offensive and a turnoff to whatever they're selling, if I'm not already turned off to it already (ref:  Yoplait).

This is going all the way back to the '70s, but there was a commercial for Calgon water softener that was set in a (wait for it) Chinese Laundro-Mat, and the female customer was gushing about the wonderful quality of her clothes' fabric who asked how they were able to accomplish such an amazing feat.  The Asian guy answers her with, "Ancient Chinese Secret," only to have his harpy of a wife to snark at her husband with said box of Calgon, snotting off by saying "Ancient Chinese Secret, Huh?"

40 years later, and I still remember this damned commercial.  And to whit, I've never bought anything by Calgon.

But isn't that their whole pitch? That they aren't based on the Alcoholics Anonymous model of having admit addiction is a lifelong condition?

Ahhhh.....Passages of Malibu, where "graduates" are no longer an addicts.  That worked real well for Britney Spears, eh?

Edited by OriginalCyn
(edited)

well, then like you said, its fairly obvious what he did, he purchase a shitload of furniture.  If you're gonna be mad just come out and get on with it.  Unless he generally sleepwalks and buys stuff you know exactly what happened, you asked him to buy a couch, he bought more than that.  Its not a Scooby Doo mystery, you don't need Nancy Drew to figure out what happened.

LOL, Scooby Doo. I now have this hilarious image of the Magic Mystery Machine pulling up in front of the house and Velma and Company jumping out to help the wife solve the conundrum of where all the furniture came from. Maybe she thought it was a furniture stampede or something.

• Love 2

I hate that ad. It reminds me of how adults spell out things so the children won't know what they're talking about.

Heh; my mom once did that with my dad in front of me, only he couldn't understand what she meant, so I told him.  In his defense, English wasn't his first language.

Ahhhh.....Passages of Malibu, where "graduates" are no longer an addicts.  That worked real well for Britney Spears, eh?

I've been wondering about them.  Are they legit?  Why would a drug rehab center need to advertise on TV?

One of the parents gestures toward the two kids on the other side of the display case. That ad enrages me. If you want precious to sleep, leave it at home with one of the parents. A trip to get new phones is hardly an emergency.

I hate that commercial for so many reasons, and that's one of them.  Not so coincidentally, I also hate how in real life some people feel they need to bring their entire extended families with them when shopping, thereby hampering my plan to get in and out as fast as possible. 

• Love 3
(edited)

This is going all the way back to the '70s, but there was a commercial for Calgon water softener that was set in a (wait for it) Chinese Laundro-Mat, and the female customer was gushing about the wonderful quality of her clothes' fabric who asked how they were able to accomplish such an amazing feat.  The Asian guy answers her with, "Ancient Chinese Secret," only to have his harpy of a wife to snark at her husband with said box of Calgon, snotting off by saying "Ancient Chinese Secret, Huh?"

40 years later, and I still remember this damned commercial.  And to whit, I've never bought anything by Calgon.

"My husband. Some hotshot.  Here's his 'ancient Chinese secret': Calgon!"  Needless to say, I have vivid childhood memories of that one, too. Because I lived in a small town where people came in only two colors, and the only Asian people I was familiar with were Mrs. Livingston on The Courtship of Eddie's Father and the Japanese soldier on Gilligan's Island, I was absolutely fascinated by the Chinese lady's perfectly "normal" American accident.

Edited by Portia
  • Love 2

"My husband. Some hotshot.  Here's his 'ancient Chinese secret': Calgon!"  Needless to say, I have vivid childhood memories of that one, too. Because I lived in a small town where people came in only two colors, and the only Asian people I was familiar with were Mrs. Livingston on The Courtship of Eddie's Father and the Japanese soldier on Gilligan's Island, I was absolutely fascinated by the Chinese lady's perfectly "normal" American accident.

It doesn't seems so bad if you think of it as the lady being annoyed with him for perpetuating cultural stereotypes.

And it may be a good way for actors who want to continue to work but are in a dry spell to stay in front of the public eye.  I haven't seen a movie lately from Charlize Theron, but that Chanel ad campaign keeps her in the public eye and its steady work.  Those are the reasons I could think of anyways.  

I was actually thinking about this when I was posting last night.  I kind of feel like this is what's going on when I see people like Jennifer Garner and Jennifer Aniston doing beauty care ads.  It keeps you in the public eye, yes, but it also showcases the slump, especially in the case of (former) A-listers like Jennifer Aniston.

(edited)

Like others have said when you are that rich you are probably supporting a ton of people. Plus depending on how financially disciplined she is maybe she spends her Friends money on a very strict budget, which means commercial money is like easy bonus spending money (which could mean new boat or fancy vacation somewhere). Or maybe she is like Jay Leno (who was known for never spending any of his tonight show earnings, only living off the money he made doing stand-up) and doesn't touch her Friends money at all. Plus like others have also said commercial money, especially commercial voice over money, has to be the most ridiculously easy money there is. 

Edited by Kel Varnsen

RealityGal between trademarking Yogurt Bitch and the precalculus measurements you're using to plan your daily snacks, I'm done.  Like d-o-n-e for copd.

It may help to know that Angie's Boom Chika Pop has 35 calories per serving for the Sweet & Salty variety and 40 calories per serving for the Sea Salt variety.   There are approximately 6 cups per bag, your entire snackmonster craving requirement can be satisfied by one bag.   My boyfriend has pointed out that it's completely preposterous to try and devise how to scheme on having 6 servings at a time without guilt, especially when the amount of sodium contained in 6 servings makes you resemble a damn puffer fish but he is from the high metabolism tribe so he can shut it.   Stop and Shop, $3.99, sometimes 2 for $6.   Don't fuck with the caramel & cheddar variety, you'll blow the curve.

As to the rest of you I can no longer get through a commercial containing the words moderate to severe without snorting.    Thanks for that.

Kelly Ripa's latest shilling is for Chocolate Jif or some other morbid obesity inducing creation.   She's telling anyone who will listen what conduit food surfaces it is most delicious upon.    Laundry detergent?  ok.  Dishwashing soap packets?  alright fine.   Kelly Ripa, eating?  and something that's like a bajillion calories and fat grams per serving?  Lol!! 

• Love 1