Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

(edited)

Wal-Mart and sexism?  I'm going to go with "doesn't care." 

Among its workers, women are disproportionately placed in lower-paying jobs and, regardless of position, earn less money than men with the same title.  The majority of its workers are women, but the majority of its managers and higher-ups are men.  And then there's that weirdness when it deemed a shirt with a cartoon character proclaiming "Someday, a woman will be president" offensive and refused to stock it.  The list truly goes on and on.

The way many of you are with ice cream is how I am with potato chips.  I like sweets, but my real kryptonite is salty/crunchy.  So I can easily eat their silly "serving size" - or less - of ice cream and put it back in the freezer.  But a bag of chips?  I cannot even buy, because I'll have eaten the serving size before backing out of the market's parking space, and the entire bag will be gone by bedtime.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 3

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who has Ice Cream Finishers Syndrome. It's a compulsion. I rarely keep ice cream in the house. If I buy ice cream it magically disappears in one day or less. I usually can't entirely explain it. I think it's sheer deliciousness overwhelms me & I'm forced to eat it all. Out of my control. I swear....

• Love 3

But, really, does anyone NOT by ice cream because of the calories?  If you want ice cream, you already KNOW it's gonna have calories.

Here is the thing.  In the store, when I'm logically convincing myself to buy the ice cream because this time I'll control myself I do check the calories.  And its all part of the game, I'm like "listen, you can buy this, because its only 110 calories per serving, and you're totally going to only eat one serving and then put it away, thats nothing, 110 calories is like 2 bananas, go ahead and buy it superstar!"  Four hours later, when I'm scraping the bottom of the half gallon.....well thats a different kettle of fish altogether....

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who has Ice Cream Finishers Syndrome. It's a compulsion. I rarely keep ice cream in the house. If I buy ice cream it magically disappears in one day or less. I usually can't entirely explain it. I think it's sheer deliciousness overwhelms me & I'm forced to eat it all. Out of my control. I swear....

me neither!  Its like one of those shows where a character somehow blacks out and wakes up and they have killed someone.  Except for me, its like i black out and I've finished all the ice cream!

• Love 3

I have given up believing I will eat only what THEY consider one serving.   Did you know one serving of potato chips is something like 10 chips?   Who the hell eats that few?   I just compare calories per serving knowing that I will eat more than the recommended serving size for whatever it is.   I figure if I eat more than the recommended serving size of rice cakes I am still better off than if I eat more than the recommended serving size of potato chips.

• Love 1

I have given up believing I will eat only what THEY consider one serving.   Did you know one serving of potato chips is something like 10 chips?   Who the hell eats that few?   I just compare calories per serving knowing that I will eat more than the recommended serving size for whatever it is.   I figure if I eat more than the recommended serving size of rice cakes I am still better off than if I eat more than the recommended serving size of potato chips.

Honestly, when I was keeping a calorie diary, I would just assume I was going to eat an entire bag of popchips, and plan around it.  Now when I buy chips and snacks like that, I just strive to find a brand that has a low serving size.  An entire bag of popchips has 420 calories, so I plan around eating the entire bag, because I've tried and failed numerous times at simply putting the bag back.  I have done better when its those 100 calorie snacks, but I wont' just eat one of those either.  :)

I'm a hot mess!

• Love 2

Bastet, I can't buy potato chips, either, for the same reason--I'll have snarfed down the bag before I get home from the store. So, basically, my (vegetarian) existence is little more than coffee, Luna bars, pasta, peanut butter-and-jelly sandwiches, yogurt (sigh), and summer fruit from the farmer's market. When I allow myself an organic dark chocolate bar, I consume the entire thing in one sitting, and then suffer a migraine the next day, like I just did again this weekend. Every. Time.

• Love 1

Migraine from chocolate?   Oh that is horrible.   For several years I had a sulfite allergy which meant no:  potato chips, fries, or carmel delight girl scout cookies.   Unless I wanted a rash and a fever.   Sometimes a rash and a fever is sooooooo worth it.

• Love 2

*brings it back on topic*

Yoplait is at it again. This time they're screwing around with Devo. I was doing something else, and I heard the song 'Whip It' from the kitchen. When I investigated, yogurt cups were spinning around on the TV screen to the tune of the song. What's next, are they gonna buy the rights to 'Under Pressure'?

I really don't understand Yoplait's commercials, they rarely if at all tell me about their products or why I should buy them. There was the one about that neglectful mother I was talking about.

Then the one with that bratty daughter who's mother is a little overprotective with who her. When her mother trades out one of her snacks once a day with Yoplait but she doesn't mind since it's orange creme. Then daughter dates a guy that says "What's up girl." and then switches him out with an emo guy so she can go back to her bum of a boyfriend. At the end the bratty daughter says that her mother never questions her decisions again. So since her mother switches out her snacks with Yoplait does that mean she doesn't eat it anymore? Good job Yoplait for talking down your own product.

The one where the mother and daughter are at a grocery check out line and mother sends her daughter to get her some Yoplait yogurt. What is this commercial saying, that it's good to hold up a check up line so she can get her supply of yogurt. Nevermind the fact that the daughter is grabbing every flavor and causes a mess in the aisle.

The only good commercial they had is of the mother and daughter on the sidewalk where Yoplait actually talks about their product. I think it was one of Yoplait's first commercials.

• Love 2

I really don't understand Yoplait's commercials, they rarely if at all tell me about their products or why I should buy them. There was the one about that neglectful mother I was talking about.

Then the one with that bratty daughter who's mother is a little overprotective with who her. When her mother trades out one of her snacks once a day with Yoplait but she doesn't mind since it's orange creme. Then daughter dates a guy that says "What's up girl." and then switches him out with an emo guy so she can go back to her bum of a boyfriend. At the end the bratty daughter says that her mother never questions her decisions again. So since her mother switches out her snacks with Yoplait does that mean she doesn't eat it anymore? Good job Yoplait for talking down your own product.

The one where the mother and daughter are at a grocery check out line and mother sends her daughter to get her some Yoplait yogurt. What is this commercial saying, that it's good to hold up a check up line so she can get her supply of yogurt. Nevermind the fact that the daughter is grabbing every flavor and causes a mess in the aisle.

The only good commercial they had is of the mother and daughter on the sidewalk where Yoplait actually talks about their product. I think it was one of Yoplait's first commercials.

Commercials like that just encourage the worst habits in people.  But let me introduce you to a new Yoplait friend...

First off - Swapportunity is not a real word you dumb broad.  How are people encouraging this woman to have anything to do in the world of education?

Second - you didn't swap a strawberry shortcake for a donut, you swapped some watery milky semi strawberry tasting yogurt for a donut.  And trust and believe bitch, you will likely just have that donut later, because I dont' remember Yoplait filling me up

Third - I'm gonna need for you to drop the condescending tone, how dare you judge anyone when you just made up a fucking word!  At a spelling bee!

• Love 5
(edited)

You know what that kid should have said, "I would like to have a swapportunity right now. I would like to swap out this judge who's more concerned with her weight, so I can get the opportunity of winning this spelling bee." 

This is why education goes further down the drain. How dare she sabotage a spelling bee for her own selfish needs. She's telling the kid to glorify her eating decisions.

Edited by ShadowSixx
  • Love 2

You know what that kid should have said, "I would like to have a swapportunity right now. I would like to swap out this judge who's more concerned with her weight, so I can get the opportunity of winning this spelling bee." 

This is why education goes further down the drain. How dare she sabotage a spelling bee for her own selfish needs. She's telling the kid to glorify her eating decisions.

LOL @ the kid trying to swap out the judge. He was probably crushed for life because he lost that spelling bee over some made up word.  And to your point, how the hell did that just sell me yogurt?  We spent the majority of the commercial on the made up word and about 5 second on her telling me that strawberry shortcake yogurt is great.  And frankly, she just said strawberry shortcake is delicious, not the yogurt. She is just so smug and unlikable IMO.

She is not Mirriam, she is not Webster, she can't just make up words!

• Love 4
Yoplait is at it again. This time they're screwing around with Devo. I was doing something else, and I heard the song 'Whip It' from the kitchen. 

Not to mention there are some who believe that song is about masturbation.  

• Love 2

Passages Malibu, I've decided that every time he says "I used to be an addict and now I'm not". I am going to yell at him, "that's not how it works, that's not how any of this works!" Won't change the commercial, but will make me feel better.

• Love 11

Passages Malibu, I've decided that every time he says "I used to be an addict and now I'm not". I am going to yell at him, "that's not how it works, that's not how any of this works!" Won't change the commercial, but will make me feel better.

Yeah, that seems like an awfully ballsy statement for a recovering addict.

• Love 2

I saw that the AT&T commercial with the whisper-talking couple with the sleeping baby was discussed but the aspect that really annoys me is the salesgirl offering them a 4-phone plan. Can she not count? There are only two of them. Why would they need four cell phones?

(Of course, I bitch about this while having four cell phones. But hey, one's personal, one's work and the other two are foreign country numbers.)

One of the parents gestures toward the two kids on the other side of the display case. That ad enrages me. If you want precious to sleep, leave it at home with one of the parents. A trip to get new phones is hardly an emergency. 

• Love 4

One of the parents gestures toward the two kids on the other side of the display case. That ad enrages me. If you want precious to sleep, leave it at home with one of the parents. A trip to get new phones is hardly an emergency. 

But, you see in television commercial world, spouses can not be trusted to perform simple task by themselves. If the husband had went, he would have purchased the wrong plan the wrong type of phones. And of course there is always the chance that the salesperson could be a tempting super hot man stealing woman, who doesn't sound hideous. Now if the wife had went alone. She would have purchased the right phones and plans. However on the way home she would have stopped off at shoe store and saved the family even more money by buying numerous pairs of shoes because they were on sale, half off or something. Then with the new shoes she would have needed a pedicure and matching manicure. All the while leaving the poor husband alone with his newborn child. See all the dilemmas here when parents do not shop for phone plans together.

• Love 5

I noticed that ad with the tool in circulation again, but it's not for Passages, it's for something like "Addiction Centerws of North America". Grr, I just want to give that tool a 2 by 4 headache!

• Love 1

Then with the new shoes she would have needed a pedicure and matching manicure. All the while leaving the poor husband alone with his newborn child.

And the house would have been a disaster area by the time she got home.   Because Dad can't take care of the child at home alone for any length of time without destroying the whole house.   You know those men, hopeless at childcare and household chores.

• Love 1

They actually have a commercial that highlights that very thing, but I can't remember the product. The wife is away from home, and she's on Skype with her husband and the kids. They're telling her how everything is okay and they're fine, and things look normal, but then she signs off and they show the rest of the kitchen, and there's dirty dishes strewn everywhere and something that looks like chocolate cake batter all over the walls. They had just cleaned up one small spot so Mom wouldn't realize they'd trashed the place.

You guys saying that makes me hate that Cascade commercial, I think it's cascade when the husband is trying to stuff 3 or 4 off brand dish pacs into the detergent holder. They shouldn't be making a husband be that damn stupid.

What about that stupid Kraft Mac & Cheese commercial where Dad "screwed" up because he invited his client over for dinner unannounced so of course Mom saves the day by making mac and cheese.

I think it was Discover card where the wife is upset because husband forgot to pay the bill. (Oh the horror) and he's further in the doghouse because he brought a puppy home instead of a gallon of milk. If she knows her husband makes bad decisions then why does she trust him to do important things. Most bills can be paid for online and stuff so she could have done that and as far as the puppy thing, IDK maybe he was trying to surprise her.

These man bashing ads don't help the women either because why would a woman marry a man that's apparently an idiot?

• Love 1
(edited)

If I see these commerciasl for Drive Time one more time I'm going to tie myself to a railroad track and wait for the very next train to end my misery!

http://youtu.be/RLGr0_-D8DM

http://youtu.be/6e6vaVvcYgA

http://youtu.be/q8LCrHFthSc

Also, why is it that everytime they show commercials that feature elderly women they're always gardening?  Is that what I have to look forward to in my old age?  Depressing!  And women with female problems or on their period are always in the water.  WTF?!

Edited by The Crazed Spruce

If I see these commerciasl for Drive Time one more time I'm going to tie myself to a railroad track and wait for the very next train to end my misery!

http://youtu.be/RLGr0_-D8DM

http://youtu.be/6e6vaVvcYgA

http://youtu.be/q8LCrHFthSc

Also, why is it that everytime they show commercials that feature elderly women they're always gardening?  Is that what I have to look forward to in my old age?  Depressing!  And women with female problems or on their period are always in the water.  WTF?!

1. Why are the same two people always walking around the DriveTime lot?  The team needs to work on selling those two malingerers a car already!

2. I think old women are always gardening in commercials because they are growing pot.  I've heard it helps with arthritis.  I feel like old people now, are the hippies from the 70's...just with more wrinkles and sunhats.

• Love 3

*blinks* I've probably seen that commercial a hundred times and never noticed that there were other kids. Maybe it's because they were behaving? Very unusual for commercial-kids. I'm used to screaming, kicking and throwing things.

*blinks* I've probably seen that commercial a hundred times and never noticed that there were other kids. Maybe it's because they were behaving? Very unusual for commercial-kids. I'm used to screaming, kicking and throwing things.

Yeah, I never noticed the other two kids, either.  I always thought the parents were just the typical first-time parents who can't stand to let their pwecious widdle baby out of their sight for more than five minutes, which is why they've got him there with them in the first place.

(edited)

I think tonight I saw quite possibly the dumbest and most irritating car commercial I have ever seen. It was for Mitsubishi and it went though a long list of things saying "this is our..." about their company and their cars. At one point they said "this is our history" and showed pictures of older Mitsubishi cars. Of course I immediately thought of this quote from Cotton Hill (from King of the Hill): "Mitsubishi? They made the planes that bombed Pearl Harbour".  So really Mistubishi, do you want to remind people of your history?

Then when they got further down on the list they said something like "this is our patent" and they showed a patent form, then they said something like "this is the safe we keep it in" and they showed a locked door with two armed guards. At which point I felt like saying, no you don't the patent is filed with the US Patent Office or the Canadian Intellectual Property office (or wherever the patent is filed), so that anyone who is interested can search it and so that people who are filing new patents can be sure that their inventions don't violate any existing patents. Having a patent be a secret would make no sense.

Edited by Kel Varnsen
  • Love 2

Little Abe Lincoln running around saying "Woah" for enjoyillinois.com can just biaf.  It gets really annoying after the first twenty times he says it.  I wind up saying, "Shutupshutupshutup!" after about ten seconds.

This clip is just a fraction of how annoying the one they actually play on TV is.

I think tonight I saw quite possibly the dumbest and most irritating car commercial I have ever seen. It was for Mitsubishi and it went though a long list of things saying "this is our..." about their company and their cars. At one point they said "this is our history" and showed pictures of older Mitsubishi cars. Of course I immediately thought of this quote from Cotton Hill (from King of the Hill): "Mitsubishi? They made the planes that bombed Pearl Harbour".  So really Mistubishi, do you want to remind people of your history?

Then when they got further down on the list they said something like "this is our patent" and they showed a patent form, then they said something like "this is the safe we keep it in" and they showed a locked door with two armed guards. At which point I felt like saying, no you don't the patent is filed with the US Patent Office or the Canadian Intellectual Property office (or wherever the patent is filed), so that anyone who is interested can search it and so that people who are filing new patents can be sure that their inventions don't violate any existing patents. Having a patent be a secret would make no sense.

a. Exactly who is dying to get their hands on a Mitsubishi patent?

b. The "history" commercial only works IMO with iconic badass cars, thats why I think Jaguar or BMW could do it, how many truly iconic cars has Mitsubishi made?  I guess the Spyder?

c. However, I submit a Mitsubishi commercial for your consideration in terms of WTF?

and I further submit this parody, which I think makes my point

That other commercial following the Yoplait one with the husband looking in the fridge. The other one has the husband on the phone talking to his friends about the different flavored yogurts and the wife calls his name and gives him a condescending look, like he's not suppose to be talking about it.

I give the Yoplait Shrew a pass on this one, because the husband is acting like an ass, bragging to his friend, "Oh, yeah, man, Boston cream pie, chocolate strawberry cheesecake...she keeps it all in the house!" like, "I've got her trained right."

• Love 1

I give the Yoplait Shrew a pass on this one, because the husband is acting like an ass, bragging to his friend, "Oh, yeah, man, Boston cream pie, chocolate strawberry cheesecake...she keeps it all in the house!" like, "I've got her trained right."

"Yoplait Shrew", "Yogurt Bitch"....I love it!

Yoplait Shrew was acting like she had him trained in the first commercial, asking him why he's in the fridge, like there's a specific time he's allowed to search and look in there.

• Love 1

a. Exactly who is dying to get their hands on a Mitsubishi patent?

Anyone who wants to get their hands on a Mitsubishi Patent can just look it up.  Here is a list of approximately 72000 patents where the word Mistubishi appears.

http://goo.gl/YSlbdM

This is from the US patent office's searchable database so the company needing to keep the same information under lock and key makes absolutely no sense.

• Love 1

The new Wendy's commercial with the redhead singing "all by myself" makes me hate life. I've had enough of her already.

Seriously. The stupid portrait of her with a burger is the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen in my life. Eric Carmen and Celine Dion should get together and beat her down.

• Love 2

Regarding the commercials with the emasculated men, do the ad execs really think this is what the majority of women relate to?  Do they think we're all a bunch of screeching harpies and howler monkeys who are interested in men who will submit to our placing their testicles in a vice grip the moment they walk in the door?

It's not even that complicated. The commercials are saying "Men are dumb." That's what they think appeals to women. "Aren't men dumb? See how dumb men are?" And they think women will like that. "Yes! Men are so dumb! Women are so much smarter than men! I will buy your product!" 

It's not that women are harpies or emasculating bitches, it's that they are very rightly annoyed by dumb men. And they married those dumb men because all men are that dumb. They didn't have any choice, see?

What really gets me is that the vast majority of these commercials are conceived and produced by men. They don't mind saying "men are dumb," because it's the easy way out. It placates the women and excuses their own bad behavior. They can't help being dumb, they're just men. 

• Love 5

It has likely been mentioned, but the New Papa John's ad, promoting their Pepsi deal? Awful. "Finishing a pizza without a soda is like buying an expensive sports car and deciding to paint it beige." You would know, because you can afford a sports car? Sir, you are smug and deplorable in so many ways. Also, don't critique my pizza habits.

• Love 6
What really gets me is that the vast majority of these commercials are conceived and produced by men. They don't mind saying "men are dumb," because it's the easy way out. It placates the women and excuses their own bad behavior. They can't help being dumb, they're just men.

Actually I have always thought the men are stupid meme is nothing more than chauvinism reversed engineered.  It  pats women on the head because they are just so good...at being the nurturing (i.e. stay at home) parent.  they are just so good at cooking and cleaning.  So good at making sure the silly stupid man is fed and cared for.  Because men are soooo stupid they can't work...at home.  No they have to take all those silly willy jobs as corporate management jobs and professional level jobs because they are just so useless.  At folding clothes and finding things in the fridge and actually being a parent.  No men have to be shoved out the door by the competent woman who is the only one able to get her husband and brood out the door out into the meaningless world no one actually cares about.  Yeah right.

• Love 6