Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

• Start Topic

Oh god, THAT COMMERCIAL. I'm so distracted by the song that I can't focus on anything else. If someone told me that I was so cute they wanted to wear me like a suit I'd nope outta there so fast it would make someone's head spin. Who greenlit that song?!

Also I think there was some discussion of Chevy's commercials awhile back. Those commercials fill me with a boiling hot rage. Two of them, especially. The one where they put the focus group's phones into a woodchipper and then tell them they have a better way to stay connected? 1. They weren't having trouble until you stunt-destroyed their phones, so your logic is crap. 2. We do not need more people "staying connected" while they drive. Put the effing phone down and focus on the road! And the other commercial is a recent one where they give them one second to solve a math problem and then tells them that the Chevy car they're advertising can do it. I don't need to know exactly when my fourteen-year-old base model is going to hit the car in front of me if I'm going faster than they are but I can figure out in a split second that I'm going to hit them at some point and slow down to a safe following distance. That stupid effing car isn't smarter than I am and I hate the trend of the way car companies advertise these features because it feels like they're encouraging the driver not to pay attention because screw it, the car is watching.

We are all slowly being prepared for the robot take over.

They are slowly immersing us...like a frog in boiling water.  When the robots finally take over we will welcome our new mechanical overlords because they clearly know whats best for us.

• Love 6

The problem is that for me....it doesn't make the commercial sound any less lame.

Maybe they were going for something interesting, but it just came off like some woman flatly delivering a 2 minute monologue on a football team.  The commercial IS about a car, but the focus is this woman talking about football, and to me its so awful that I end up focusing on the woman and her terrible flat delivery of a weird monologue about football and not at all about the car.  That makes the commercial about 2x worse, because at least a bad commercial that clearly connects with the product is an advertisement for the product.

I may laugh at the penis pump commercial, but they aren't hiding the ball in any way whatsoever (pun intended!).  I don't think that sort of subtlety works in commercials, and I don't think that people should have to put so many connections together when someone is trying to sell them something in a short ad.

The thing about it is, he looks more amused with her than impressed with her "knowledge."  She is attractive so she doesn't even have to impress him; he would have been satisfied just sitting there looking at her, driving.   I forget all about the car.

• Love 2

The thing about it is, he looks more amused with her than impressed with her "knowledge."  She is attractive so she doesn't even have to impress him; he would have been satisfied just sitting there looking at her, driving.   I forget all about the car.

There's one point where his smile looks very indulgent, the kind of "it's cute that she's trying" look a sexist guy might use (or a parent humoring a child). I don't notice the car either.

• Love 3

Not to detract from either the Yogurt Bitch or her cousin, the Yogurt Loudmouth ("PULL THAT PEACH!"), but WHAT is with the man in the other Yoplait commercial? The one who talks directly to the cow about her delicious milk and then takes off running without warning?

Are we supposed to infer that he's been hitting a recreational substance stronger than yogurt? Or is intended to be a PSA for men - leave the yogurt for the ladies, gentlemen, lest you wind up like poor Bob here, acting like a crazed leprechaun hopped up on hallucinogens?

• Love 4

Not to detract from either the Yogurt Bitch or her cousin, the Yogurt Loudmouth ("PULL THAT PEACH!"), but WHAT is with the man in the other Yoplait commercial? The one who talks directly to the cow about her delicious milk and then takes off running without warning?

Are we supposed to infer that he's been hitting a recreational substance stronger than yogurt? Or is intended to be a PSA for men - leave the yogurt for the ladies, gentlemen, lest you wind up like poor Bob here, acting like a crazed leprechaun hopped up on hallucinogens?

He's just shy around girls.

Which one, there's three of them.

Also, this is weird, but when he was first speaking to the rep, I thought he also said, "Hi, my name is Jill" before realizing he actually said 'Joe'.

I thought they both said their name was Joe.

Oh god, THAT COMMERCIAL. I'm so distracted by the song that I can't focus on anything else. If someone told me that I was so cute they wanted to wear me like a suit I'd nope outta there so fast it would make someone's head spin. Who greenlit that song?!

The band is from Australia, their name is Boom! Bap! Pow! and the video for the song is ... interesting.

• Love 1

Ugh. The Gain commercial is back where the man wipes his face on a towel, and from somewhere else in the house, his all knowing wife yells "you're using the dogs towel."

I don't have a dog, but if I did, he probably wouldn't need his own towel and if his stank doggy ass were that foul, I wouldn't hang his towels up with general population towels, but worst of all, what kind of surveillance system is this chick looking at, where she can police her husband's towel use from another room?

I don't know if it's what's happening in this commercial, but my dog has a towel.  Not his own personal towel, but whichever of the ratty ones we're currently using to wipe off his paws when it's rainy/muddy.  If my husband were wiping his face on it, though, I wouldn't know about it.

• Love 1

I don't know if it's what's happening in this commercial, but my dog has a towel.  Not his own personal towel, but whichever of the ratty ones we're currently using to wipe off his paws when it's rainy/muddy.  If my husband were wiping his face on it, though, I wouldn't know about it.

I have two old ratty "cat towels" I wrap them in if they're sick or that I put in their cat carrier. If I had a husband, and he used one of those, I wrap him in it and take him to the vet to get his head checked out.

• Love 7

The only time I've gotten a whole can of soda is when I've ordered ginger ale and the flight attendant told me that not many people order it, so they would have to throw out the remainder in the can if they only gave me what fit into the little cup. Even on Delta (I haven't flown Virgin America or United), I only get a cup if I order Coke or Diet Coke. I'm also bothered by that commercial because the line "I want to wear you like a suit" makes me think of the bad guy in Silence of the Lambs.

I once got a whole can on a connecting Southwest flight to San Francisco.  I ate for months on that story.

• Love 4

Why? You're not doing anything to work up a sweat. Just go easy on alcohol or caffeine.

I think the flight cabins typically have very low humidity.  The air above 30,000 feet is very dry and so most of the humidity in the cabin is from recycling the air (which is full of the output of breath from other passengers...gross!)  Newer planes like the Dreamliner make the cabin more humid.  So, you really should have access to a good amount of water during the flight if you can.  Although, that does mean you may have to use the restroom (gross!)

• Love 5

Maybe because he is unsightly/shouldn't be dancing AT ALL?

So fat people shouldn't dance?  Wow.  I thought he was pretty nimble.  

Plus, that's what I like the most about wedding receptions--people of every shape, size and color dancing their asses off.

• Love 6

The only time I've gotten a whole can of soda is when I've ordered ginger ale and the flight attendant told me that not many people order it, so they would have to throw out the remainder in the can if they only gave me what fit into the little cup. Even on Delta (I haven't flown Virgin America or United), I only get a cup if I order Coke or Diet Coke. I'm also bothered by that commercial because the line "I want to wear you like a suit" makes me think of the bad guy in Silence of the Lambs.

I never noticed the song. I was more disturbed by the hallucigens in her drink.

Why is the math problem the asshole expects those people to answer quickly so difficult? If two cars start traveling from the same point at different speeds in the same direction, they will never crash.

• Love 2

Why is the math problem the asshole expects those people to answer quickly so difficult? If two cars start traveling from the same point at different speeds in the same direction, they will never crash.

I haven't seen the ad, but it sounds like you're describing an IQ test question. The point is to quickly spot the answer (or lack of one) quickly, rather than burn up time trying to calculate an answer.

• Love 1

When I fly from Orlando to connect in New York (and vice versa) I've gotten a full can of soda or bottle of water on both Delta and Jet Blue. Now I'm sad to know that might not always be the case!

Shit, I had something for the topic but I forgot. Uhh, GE ads suck!

• Love 6

I am all for diverse representation (race, age, gender, size. . . ) but I could really do without the antics of the big man in this Dish Network ad.

https://youtu.be/JfCCuWfKINM

I agree.  there's something about the face he makes for part of it - scrunching his face up and sticking his teeth out -  that really bugs me.   That, and the fact that the commercial seems to be encouraging us to laugh  at the "fay guy who's a bad dancer". 

• Love 2

I agree.  there's something about the face he makes for part of it - scrunching his face up and sticking his teeth out -  that really bugs me.   That, and the fact that the commercial seems to be encouraging us to laugh  at the "fay guy who's a bad dancer". 

When will people leave that Montell Jordan song to just die in peace....geez.  I don't get it, is the song in the public domain now? Why is every company using that song?!??

The yogurt commercial where the whole family is mmmmm mmmming has been toned down.  Apparently they got enough complaints that the father appeared to be having an orgasm that they refilmed him enjoying the yogurt with more subdued enthusiasm.  

• Love 2

I never noticed the song. I was more disturbed by the hallucigens in her drink.

Diet Coke clearly laces their cans with something potent because the lady taking her car through the car wash is trippin' too.

• Love 3

There is a Pet Smart commercial out there about a father getting his son a guinea pig for Christmas. I love the end, but everything up to that makes me sad for the guy. 1st the guys wife asks, did he actually put a guinea pig inside of a wrapped present that his son is shaking and pounding against the floor. I am thinking poor guy, either your wife thinks you are not very smart or she is not very smart for thinking you would wrap a small animal inside of a small box. And the way your son is handling that package does not bode well for that guinea pig, whether he is in that package or not. Dude you have a special family, short bus riding in nature.

Edited by Watcher0363
  • Love 9

I think part of the problem with the Nissan (?) football ad is that in the real world, she would be referencing a specific team and specific players.  Here, they have to go with "I love [generic team], and its [generic QB/other position] is awesome in [this generic way that matches what the car is doing]" dialogue.  Normally, people would be discussing how well Cam or Clay or Adrian, etc., are doing this year.  I can't really blame the actress for trying to get that stilted dialogue across. 

And yeah, GEICO Peter Pan should be smacked out of the air with a giant flyswatter.  I can understand why nobody would want to punch him while out in public ("oh, my God, you hit a child!"), but everyone in that room knows he's the same age they are, and probably wouldn't bat an eye if someone took a swing at him.

• Love 7

When will people leave that Montell Jordan song to just die in peace....geez.  I don't get it, is the song in the public domain now? Why is every company using that song?!??

Oh my gosh, it's a real song? It pierces my brain every time the frickin' commercial comes on. I can't mute quickly enough. I hate it.

• Love 2

Oh my gosh, it's a real song? It pierces my brain every time the frickin' commercial comes on. I can't mute quickly enough. I hate it.

I swear to you it is!  Montell Jordan had like maybe 5 good songs in the 90's, and "This is How We Do It" was by far the biggest hit.  

But for years, and years you would literally only hear it on "old school" radio stations and like you....I couldn't change the station fast enough because that song is such an earworm.

But somehow, decades later, it found this strange second life in commercials.  I feel like I can't escape that song now and its awful.

And just so you know I'm legit.....

• Love 5

That is one of those songs I initially loved and then got sick of because I heard it so much.  Then right around the time I could have liked it again, it started showing up everywhere.  It must be available for license at rock bottom prices.

(And it's just not the same without the message from his barber at the end.)

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 3

That is one of those songs I initially loved and then got sick of because I heard it so much.  Then right around the time I could have liked it again, it started showing up everywhere.  It must be available for license at rock bottom prices.

Or just 90's young adults now reliving their glory days. Now that they have the minivan, 2.5 kids and a mortgage. A blast from the past when life was simpler. I am a young adult of the 80's so the Final Countdown works for me in commercials, just as anything from the GoGo's, INXS, and Duran Duran works as well.

Edited by Watcher0363
  • Love 5

I swear to you it is!  Montell Jordan had like maybe 5 good songs in the 90's, and "This is How We Do It" was by far the biggest hit.  

But for years, and years you would literally only hear it on "old school" radio stations and like you....I couldn't change the station fast enough because that song is such an earworm.

But somehow, decades later, it found this strange second life in commercials.  I feel like I can't escape that song now and its awful.

And just so you know I'm legit.....

Thank you, I think :)

• Love 2

I like Montell Jordan. He can sing, This Is How We Do It, till the cows come home & I still wouldn't get sick of it. I rather hear that song, than that idiot who sings that stupid, Whip Nae Nae song & dance to that crap. I'm should be thankful that someone hasn't thought of putting that stupid song & dance into their commercials. 

Speaking of crap, I have to see those very creppy & very repulsive Happy Meal characters promoting The Peanuts Movie for McDonald's. Why don't those fools at McDonald's understand that those characters are very stupid & very irritating and it makes me want to have nothing to do with their crummy Happy Meals? There is nothing cute or funny about them & I really hate them. 

Edited by Magog

Apparently Campbell's is joining Starbucks as "that's so yesterday".  Kohl's department stores' new ad featuring a same-sex couple onscreen for a couple seconds has all the poutragers flooding their Facebook page now.

• Love 4

Apparently Campbell's is joining Starbucks as "that's so yesterday".  Kohl's department stores' new ad featuring a same-sex couple onscreen for a couple seconds has all the poutragers flooding their Facebook page now.

And the same-sex couple is interracial!  Progress is slow, but perhaps steady.  Time to go buy something at Kohl's.

• Love 7
I like Montell Jordan. He can sing, This Is How We Do It, till the cows come home & I still wouldn't get sick of it. I rather hear that song, than that idiot who sings that stupid, Whip Nae Nae song & dance to that crap. I'm should be thankful that someone hasn't thought of putting that stupid song & dance into their commercials.

I like Montel Jordan and This Is How We Do It, too, and I can't sit down whenever it's played.  I never get tired of hearing it.

I can't stand that Whip Nae Nae crap and the dance just looks stupid.  Which means, very shortly, there will be a commercial featuring the song and dance.

ETA:  In the beginning of the video they're sitting on a couch covered in clear plastic.  Man, does that bring back memories!

Edited by Ohwell
  • Love 3

This NFL shop ad is supposed to be cute, but it just leaves me cold. Probably because it gives off the vibe that the in-laws (and hubby) aren't just joking around, but are being typically overly controlling in-laws. Yeah, you should dump your childhood team and switch now that you've joined OUR fam.

Kudos to you, fictitious woman in the commercial. And your dad. And Ryan Tannehill (why not?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfPIES9vTxQ

• Love 1

Cool. Now if commercials would just get on board with interracial friendships that would be awesome too.

There are always interracial friendships when there are multiple people in a commercial.  Groups of people at a bar?  They'll be white people, black people, Hispanic people (sometimes, but not that often, Asian people).  If there are three women in an ad, one of them will be black.

• Love 2

And yeah, GEICO Peter Pan should be smacked out of the air with a giant flyswatter.  I can understand why nobody would want to punch him while out in public ("oh, my God, you hit a child!"), but everyone in that room knows he's the same age they are, and probably wouldn't bat an eye if someone took a swing at him.

Especially after he tells his 60something classmate Joanne that she doesn't look a day over 70.

I'm suspect she's 60something because there's a banner in the back that says 'Welcome Class of 1965'. I'm guessing this is a high school reunion, not college, because high school reunions are more common in commercials and popular culture, and Geico wouldn't want to exclude people who didn't attend college. Since people tend to graduate high school when they're around 17 or 18, it's not surprising that Joanne doesn't look a day over 70.

Either that, or the makers of the commercial didn't think it through.

Either way, it's irritating.

• Love 4