Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggalos: Jinger and the Holy Goalie

Message added by cm-soupsipper,

Closure Notice: This Thread is now closed due to the name (and much of the posting within it). Please be mindful going forward by naming topics in a way that invites a healthy community conversation. If you name something for a cheap laugh, this thread may be closed later because it encourages discrimination and harm. 

• Start Topic

3 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

Let's just hope that said egg salad sandwiches will not have been sitting out for some hours before being served...

They will contain strands of Sierra's hair and they will be languishing in the cooler with the melted ice cream for the root beer floats...

• Love 4

At least the rehearsal dinner will be decent, since it's traditionally hosted by the groom's family. Both Cathy Bynum and Guinn Seewald put out a nice spread, I'm assuming the Vuolos will follow suit. It's really only the Duggar portion of the weddings that are a low-rent debacle. 

• Love 3
(edited)

I hope the Vuolos put out a traditional Italian spread. It will be a far cry from what the Duggars consider to be Eye-talian. Which is sad, considering that Tontitown was founded by Italians who make wine. 

Edited by Sew Sumi
No way the DUGGARS put out authentic ANYTHING! Just to be clear...
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, Kokapetl said:

Why would they be banned?

IIRC, one of the posters mentioned it a while back that they had been told they couldn't film there again. Not sure what they did wrong, but if history is an indicator, likely Howler behavior or maybe Grossie Josie was licking the Windows.

• Love 3

I was raised believing that wedding gifts should be comparable in price to the meals served at the reception. So should folks bring gifts that equal the cost of a root-beer float, or an ice cream sundae?

Or do Fundies get some kind of credit if a few marriages come out of their Match.Fundy receptions?

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

IIRC, one of the posters mentioned it a while back that they had been told they couldn't film there again. Not sure what they did wrong, but if history is an indicator, likely Howler behavior or maybe Grossie Josie was licking the Windows.

That sound a little unchristian. 

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

Not only were they not invited back, they found a doppelgänger second location for filming!

• Love 1
(edited)

My wedding was at a church, but we held the reception elsewhere - because we wanted alcohol and a DJ.  That's sort of frowned upon other than a Catholic fellowship hall.   We both wanted the church location, because we feel that the church is a more holy area than a hotel.  Your mileage may vary. 

If the Duggars just want to have the church wedding, and traditional church cake and punch reception, they should do the following

- only invite true family and close friends.  Do not invite more people than you have chairs for.  Make sure you have enough of whatever you ARE serving to provide for all the guests. Make sure that you have enough room inside the sanctuary and fellowship hall for your guests, or if holding the wedding outside - have a tent big enough for everyone. 

- schedule the wedding at 1:30 or so. The guests will know to eat lunch before they come and that dinner is on their own.  You are not supposed to schedule a wedding/reception that cuts into a mealtime unless you are going to feed your guests. 

- if you are not providing a meal or heavy appetizers, make sure your registry includes lots of items that are less than $50 - because you should not expect gifts that are more than $50 unless you are feeding your guests.  That is just my opinion.  Yes, people might go in together for more expensive items, and Aunt Mary may give you a larger gift if she chooses. 

The Duggars could do all of the above, the wedding would still be meaningful and appropriate.  But they won't, because they want everyone in their religious circles to be present for the trading of the bride from parent to husband.  I am surprised they don't have people check the sheets for blood the next morning, as they did in the old days.  They seem to base all their other parental beliefs on theories from the same era. 

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Love 8
25 minutes ago, Kokapetl said:

Spotted as a group in New York

13734866_964220830343393_550699187846509

why do the normal women do that crouch?

Maybe she thinks she needs to crouch to be in the frame of the shot?

The two men and the baby with no stroller are out shopping with 3 women. I bet good times were had by all.

And where is JB? Is he taking the pic? Home babysitting Josh? Or does TLC think folks will tolerate one Duggar parent in the upcoming episodes?

• Love 3
1 hour ago, GeeGolly said:

Maybe she thinks she needs to crouch to be in the frame of the shot?

I think you've got it. 

Apparently it's a very common thing with women in group photographs. I've seen it called stuff like "the sorority crouch." I guess it's women trying to be accommodating for the photo. ....

But imagine men doing this. I can't. I'm all for being a nice person, but I think we need to stop with the crouching and claim our right to be as tall and outsized as anybody else. The crouch is too much a sign of "woman's place" through history and today. .... Super symbolic that we keep seeing it in Duggs' pictures, of course.

• Love 23
15 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

I think you've got it. 

Apparently it's a very common thing with women in group photographs. I've seen it called stuff like "the sorority crouch." I guess it's women trying to be accommodating for the photo. ....

But imagine men doing this. I can't. I'm all for being a nice person, but I think we need to stop with the crouching and claim our right to be as tall and outsized as anybody else. The crouch is too much a sign of "woman's place" through history and today. .... Super symbolic that we keep seeing it in Duggs' pictures, of course.

Amen.

• Love 4
23 hours ago, cdp73 said:

Anyone get the feeling that JimBoob approved this engagement just to get free violin lessons for the rest of his clan?

It wouldn't take long. They just have to watch Diana Vuolo or her daughter play the violin for an hour or two. Then they'll be equally good violinists. They are, after all, Duggars.

• Love 10
(edited)

Another Internet FU from the Duggaloos. (Sort of like the Buggaloos, except the only Sid and Marty Kroft vibe I get is Mullet's hair reminding me of Sigmund Ooze's..who I know want on the Buggaloos...).

The FUs put to rest here:

-Jing sprung for new...see the shopping bags

-Mullet took our fashion advice (other than the too big shirt...which maybe is because she has fibroids or a uterus the size of a beach ball)

Derpy Bin actually has demonstrated he can wear a cap with the bill forward.

-Look, we hang out with immodest people...Nike is everywhere and we don't care

-We really DID go to New York...not fake...not a backdrop.

Scary how Sigmund reminds me of Michelle's hair.

image.jpeg

Edited by Arwen Evenstar
  • Love 7

This Jeremy guy can't convince me that he didn't shop Jinger.  First of all he would have had to know about the Duggar clan to begin with and the spontaneous, happenstance meeting of Ben and Jessa at Jeremy's home bible study where he then suddenly became friends with Ben for a couple months which then led to meeting Jinger and he became interested in her, yeah well not buying it.  

Well Jinger take a last look at your city dreams because Jeremy is putting them to an end. Not what you expected was it, Michelle tagging along with you and Jessa and Ben, Spurgeon and now kill joy Jeremy.  Life in the big city, sorry it didn't work out for you.

• Love 5

In my internal fantasy world, JB and M have seriously considered and reevaluated NIKE! and all their other prohibitions after seeing that none of it prevented Josh. Or Grabby Gothard and his ultra creepy male employees. Meanwhile. they have met non-Gothardites who apparently, somehow, manage to lead ethical lives. Perhaps some of this cognitive dissonance actually sank in and resulted in genuine change and acceptance of others. Honestly, haven't you ever known someone who, for example, was "against" homosexuality. Then over time they met gay people, or people they loved came out. And then they had to reevaluate their ideas that gay = weird or whatever when faced with the reality that gay people are just people. I think MAYBE the Duggars may be undergoing something a little similar.

Eventually maybe Ben will get over his love affair with the concept of sin, but that may take awhile. I will continue to hope that they can see the good in others of all types, and recognize and value common ground. And quit being afraid to engage with the world God created. 

• Love 1

What the hell is with the bending girls/women do in photos? Is it to appear in line with everyone else? I never understood that. Looks odd to me. I have never had the inclination to bend down like that. Are the girls allowed to wear socks? Or must their feet be showing at all times. At home, I hardly EVER see them in shoes, and out, it's always sandals. Because Jesus wore sandals? Such an odd family.

• Love 1

I see Jinger having her hand on his abdomen is ok during engagement.  Another example of the couple developing their own rules!  Abdomen-touching has been reserved for engagement. 

Also Binjermin is wearing his LICE hat again.

Where in NYC is that?  Just curious.  

They have to be NIKE-ing all over the place.  Standing right next to girls in shorts.  Heck, Jeremy himself is in shorts!  NIKE!  

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Tabbygirl521 said:

In my internal fantasy world, JB and M have seriously considered and reevaluated NIKE! and all their other prohibitions after seeing that none of it prevented Josh. Or Grabby Gothard and his ultra creepy male employees. Meanwhile. they have met non-Gothardites who apparently, somehow, manage to lead ethical lives. Perhaps some of this cognitive dissonance actually sank in and resulted in genuine change and acceptance of others. Honestly, haven't you ever known someone who, for example, was "against" homosexuality. Then over time they met gay people, or people they loved came out. And then they had to reevaluate their ideas that gay = weird or whatever when faced with the reality that gay people are just people. I think MAYBE the Duggars may be undergoing something a little similar.

Eventually maybe Ben will get over his love affair with the concept of sin, but that may take awhile. I will continue to hope that they can see the good in others of all types, and recognize and value common ground. And quit being afraid to engage with the world God created. 

Nobody in this movement has that type of insight. And Jim Bob and Michelle will literally blame everyone else on the planet (including their own daughters) before they hold Josh responsible for anything he did.And when all else fails, it's the devil's fault. "Afraid to Engage With the World God Created" should be on their billboards.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

-Mullet took our fashion advice (other than the too big shirt...which maybe is because she has fibroids or a uterus the size of a beach ball)

The too big shirt is to get it around the bust line.  There doesn't seem to be much, if any, extra room there.  There are other styles that work better for her figure, but Michelle hasn't or won't try them. I won't wear button downs except for a couple of occasions because they always look just like that. 

3 hours ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

That didn't take long to get corrected, did it?

• Love 1
23 minutes ago, charmed1 said:

It is about 400 degrees on the east coast. How on earth are those women walking around with all that hair hanging loose? 

Right?! Personally I like long hair and don't generally agree with those who want to hack a foot off the daughters' hair -- Michelle is another story -- but my shoulder-length hair has been in a braid since the beginning of summer. I can't imagine having a mane hanging down my back. Itchy, sweaty, gross.

Vuolo's "Congratulations" video. Whatever hopes I had for Diana vanished pretty much the minute she started to speak. It looks like we have another Cathy Dillard Byrum type: accomplished, educated, pants-wearing, but in reality, she's something totally different. /sad

• Love 2
18 hours ago, JoanArc said:

Listen up Jim Bob, here's what you do. There's this restaurant, it's the fanciest Italian restaurant in the country, called Olive Garden. Now, I  know you my have to drive into town for this, but it's worth it. You go at lunchtime, just you, and maybe Michelle, to gaze adoringly at you. Sit by a window. You order their finest dish - the Unlimited Soup, Salad, and Breadsticks. When the food comes, you pass the plate out the window to one of your 19 precious children, who has a pickup truck and a bunch of garbage bags and 55 gallon drums. He empties all the food off the plates, then passes them back to you. You ask for more, then repeat. You do it until you have enough food for the wedding. You give the waitress no tip, leave a tract, and go home. You've just catered Jinger's wedding for $7.99. Maybe less if you use a gift card. You're welcome.

Man you just gave them a brilliant idea!  Josie can even lick them clean between refills.  The thought of their kids fingers on anything in close proximity to food gives me the heebie jeebies.  

Um they wouldn't however pay the $7.99.  They will offer to tweet about it and expect it for free.  Or think if they show up dressed like Chef Boyardi its a free meal. 

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

Another Internet FU from the Duggaloos. (Sort of like the Buggaloos, except the only Sid and Marty Kroft vibe I get is Mullet's hair reminding me of Sigmund Ooze's..who I know want on the Buggaloos...).

The FUs put to rest here:

-Jing sprung for new...see the shopping bags

Derpy Bin actually has demonstrated he can wear a cap with the bill forward.

-Look, we hang out with immodest people...Nike is everywhere and we don't care

Scary how Sigmund reminds me of Michelle's hair.

image.jpeg

As a fan of Sigmund I am deeply offended for him :).  Now his crazy relatives who kept trying to kidnap him, maybe!  

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

Vuolo's "Congratulations" video. Whatever hopes I had for Diana vanished pretty much the minute she started to speak. It looks like we have another Cathy Dillard Byrum type: accomplished, educated, pants-wearing, but in reality, she's something totally different. /sad

No! I have her lounge chairs!  Well, about the video - she spoke first, she's wearing pants, and he seems pretty mellow. So there is that. And, her blouse has a normal neckline.  I don't think they will overwhelm Jinger with modesty rules (although Jeremy might), and they seem to like her. I guess it could be worse. Let's just be happy she didn't get stuck with a worse fundie.  

3 hours ago, awaken said:

I see Jinger having her hand on his abdomen is ok during engagement.  Another example of the couple developing their own rules!  Abdomen-touching has been reserved for engagement. 

Also Binjermin is wearing his LICE hat again.

Where in NYC is that?  Just curious.  

They have to be NIKE-ing all over the place.  Standing right next to girls in shorts.  Heck, Jeremy himself is in shorts!  NIKE!  

I'm putting my money on Midtown Manhattan. Good for shopping, filming or studio appearances and general walking the city.

Someone on FJ figured out that the engagement (likely re-enactment) happened on the rooftop of the People Magazine offices in Lower Manhattan. I guess this means they also get a spread in the upcoming issue hitting newsstands today. If not this week, then next. I wonder how much they got paid for that?

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Sew Sumi said:

Someone on FJ figured out that the engagement (likely re-enactment) happened on the rooftop of the People Magazine offices in Lower Manhattan. I guess this means they also get a spread in the upcoming issue hitting newsstands today. If not this week, then next. I wonder how much they got paid for that?

Enough to cover a decent reception.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Defrauder said:

No! I have her lounge chairs!  Well, about the video - she spoke first, she's wearing pants, and he seems pretty mellow. So there is that. And, her blouse has a normal neckline.  I don't think they will overwhelm Jinger with modesty rules (although Jeremy might), and they seem to like her. I guess it could be worse. Let's just be happy she didn't get stuck with a worse fundie.  

It does kinda look that way. If you listen to dad's sermons, though, you get a vibe that looks kinda laid back but in substance is totally into male dominance and kinda antediluvian. ....

I guess I've mentioned this before, but clearly educated and intelligent people like these two who buy into this "biblical gender roles" and patriarchy thing actually drive me a lot crazier than idiots like Jizm Bob who embrace it. Because the smarter ones seem to have so little excuse for flying in the face of all evidence and all justice, really.

• Love 13

And this is what makes them more dangerous. I think we all gave Cathy the benefit of the doubt at first, despite her saying (paraphrasing), "We raised our children with the same manual as a guide." She also got a reprieve from rebuke due to her Stage 4 cancer. But, as it does with all these people, the crazy started seeping out. For me, the first real sign was when she said that she believed cancer was the Devil invading her body and that it could be prayed away. 

I just don't like the way Diana phrased things; it wasn't Duggar fundie-speak, but it was fundie-speak, nonetheless. Just because Vuolo's church isn't Family Integrated (it has actual Sunday School for the kids), it doesn't make it any less insidious in terms of the content of sermons. He may appear mellow in that video, but in reality, he is a misogynistic asshole. I'm surprised that Diana is permitted to run her own company and play in a string quartet in tank tops, leggings, and fuck-me heels. 

Now I wonder what the sister is really like, since she is part of that one quartet. I will have to dig into the roots of her groups (she is in several). And the brother? He's on IMDb, but I'm not familiar with any of these titles. Anyone?

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3252101/

• Love 5
28 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

It does kinda look that way. If you listen to dad's sermons, though, you get a vibe that looks kinda laid back but in substance is totally into male dominance and kinda antediluvian. ....

I guess I've mentioned this before, but clearly educated and intelligent people like these two who buy into this "biblical gender roles" and patriarchy thing actually drive me a lot crazier than idiots like Jizm Bob who embrace it. Because the smarter ones seem to have so little excuse for flying in the face of all evidence and all justice, really.

Good points.  I don't think my computer would survive one of Jeremy's dad's sermons so I'll have to pass on that and take your word for it.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Sew Sumi said:

I really hope the Vuolos put on an authentic Italian spread for the rehearsal dinner and show Josie's face as she samples the antipasti. 

Noooooo...then we'll have to listen to Boob say 'mamma mia' & 'that's italian' about 100 times. Barf.

• Love 12
(edited)
3 minutes ago, lulu69 said:

Noooooo...then we'll have to listen to Boob say 'mamma mia' & 'that's italian' about 100 times. Barf.

Well, they've kept him out of the engagement, maybe they can keep his buffonery in the background at the wedding events, too. It'll be bad enough to watch him blubbers as he prepares to walk JinJin down the aisle. Hopefully, TLC knows that people don't want to see any more of him than that. 

eta: I looked up Valerie's bands, and they are both VERY secular, including the one with Diana. That one plays everything from classical to Led Zeppelin. It's hard to reconcile that with the fundie-speak of the video, but there you have it. That is why this kind of fundie is the scariest. I still can't tell anything about the siblings' beliefs at all. 

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 2

Well they let Jeremy out into the real world and he stayed there for awhile and they wear pants and some cool shoes so maybe just maybe they are flexible in letting their kids make their own decisions.  They may not fear the secular life as some of the fundies are prone to do.  Jeremy really had the option of living the way he wanted to.  Why he chose to get Duggarized is anybody's guess.  Maybe he was rejected by a partner and just caved and decided to look for someone who was 'meek'. 

Apparently, according to some former fundies, a girl being called "meek" (and there was another buzzword Jeremy used in the recent statement that I've forgotten) is a HUGE compliment to a fundie girl. One person said that she would have DIED to have been called meek back in the day. 

I mean, I get the "meek and quiet spirit" line in theory, but in reality, it pretty much demonstrates that this marriage is going to strongly conform to gender roles, and that Jinger's life probably won't change that much, aside from having 20 fewer people to care for. Jeremy seems to have gone further down the fundie trail than his parents, who value education and have allowed their offspring to seek independent lives once they became adults. As of now, just choosing to marry into the Duggar fold, I expect Jeremy to pull a Boob and take himself two steps back from where his parents were (Jinger is already there). 

• Love 3

Someone on FJ figured out that the engagement (likely re-enactment) happened on the rooftop of the People Magazine offices in Lower Manhattan.

You have GOT TO be kidding me. Jim Bob must pictures of the owner of People blowing a donkey, or something.

Not the Olive Garden one? LOL

Mark my words, there will be iceberg lettuce coated in Aldi Italian dressing at the reception. Maybe even forks!

• Love 9