Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggalos: Jinger and the Holy Goalie

Message added by cm-soupsipper,

Closure Notice: This Thread is now closed due to the name (and much of the posting within it). Please be mindful going forward by naming topics in a way that invites a healthy community conversation. If you name something for a cheap laugh, this thread may be closed later because it encourages discrimination and harm. 

• Start Topic

The various Duggars learn Spanish because they want to speak to Spanish speaking people. Also, the size of the Spanish speaking community in the United States means they can easily find someone to teach them for free. 

• Love 4
4 hours ago, floridamom said:

lascuba: I think that Jeremy didn't have the TIME to learn Spanish for his 'calling'. He was an athlete and that was the way he expected his professional life to go. When he was cut from the teams, he 'had the calling' to preach and everything happened so quickly that his daddy 'ordained him' and their friend, in that home church in San Antonio(?) assigned him to Laredo. It's all who you know, even in the preacher business, I guess. Jeremy didn't prepare at all, really to call himself a pastor. His sports career was washed up, so what else was he going to do? Don't get me wrong, I do believe that Jeremy has a belief in God and that he's grateful to Him. He did give up the party life and want to be closer to the Almighty...he just went the express route with his father's help. Jinger was supposed to have private Spanish lessons a few years ago with her siblings, but she knows NO Spanish? So much for the homeschooling, Duggar style.

Sure, but I was responding to the comments bashing churchgoers for allegedly not knowing English, which is a weird assumption, since no one is so devoted that they're going to attend a church where they can't understand the language...they'll go elsewhere or stop attending altogether. I'd bet money that if the Duggars were in a country where they didn't speak the language, they'd never attend church services except for their own "home church."  People are not obligated to learn a language to make Jeremy's life easier. He's the one trying to grow a business. If he wants more customers, it's up to him to win them. 

• Love 18

After the private Spanish lesson with Marjorie's mother, they all went out to lunch to a Mexican restaurant so they could practice their Spanish there...I'm shaking my head here. They could get very good conversational Spanish practice ordering "un taco y un burrito, por favor". I thought that was such a waste of time. They all just wanted to go out to eat. If I remember absolutely NO Spanish was spoken at the restaurant.  Since JILL HAD ALWAYS WANTED to be a missionary why didn't she pay extra, strict attention and actually learn something?

• Love 5
(edited)
1 hour ago, floridamom said:

After the private Spanish lesson with Marjorie's mother, they all went out to lunch to a Mexican restaurant so they could practice their Spanish there...I'm shaking my head here. They could get very good conversational Spanish practice ordering "un taco y un burrito, por favor". I thought that was such a waste of time. They all just wanted to go out to eat. If I remember absolutely NO Spanish was spoken at the restaurant.  Since JILL HAD ALWAYS WANTED to be a missionary why didn't she pay extra, strict attention and actually learn something?

I basically agree, but I do think that one thing we see there -- as in a lot of places -- is the strong singular conformity-enforcing culture that a family like the Duggars is. It's all very well to say that somebody can ignore the cultural tide there and do what they want to do. But when I think of trying to do it in that groupthink mob, I'm not sure how achievable that is, especially if you're a bit dim, like Jill, and have a personality that's heavily invested in being the good little girl that everybody pats on the head, like Jill. .......

.I think I dimly recall hearing that Jill did actually pin up Spanish words around the house and at least sort of "try" to learn the language, at least according to her own very dim lights? But remembering that "lesson" scene, I hare a hard time imagining any of those Duggar kids actually individually even beginning to set themselves up to really learn Spanish even, trying to concentrate on it and such, let alone succeeding at it. You'd certainly get no help in that from anyone in your family, including your parents.

And you'd absolutely get ridicule and interruptions and so forth from your brothers and sisters and probably even from your ass of a father, most of whom would be sure to want to knock you down to size, I think. ...Because I think one strong motivator for the kind of groupthink and bad behavior we see there is not letting anybody go outside the circle of accepted behavior, especially in a way that might make them think they were somehow better than the rest. I expect they're virtually all at least unconsciously committed to keeping anyone from setting themselves apart. The way they behaved at that "lesson" just illustrated the very height of peer pressure, to me, and I taught high school for 16 years.

I'm always kind of amazed at how every one of the fairly few Duggar scenes I've watched paints, for me anyway, an absolutely horrifying picture of that family and what it would be like for any kid to actually try to live in it as an individual, at any level. How literally impossible it would be to be your own person, for must of us, anyway. It would take absolutely enormous strength -- which I suppose, come to think of it, is yet another hidden (even to the parents, I suppose) reason for these nuts putting so much focus on having a million children. Once you've birthed the million, the crowd itself kind of unwittingly must become a very very strong force enforcing the conformity that they're looking for.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 12

I have a question as to why Jinger receives so much praise for not getting pregnant  immediately.  Perhaps she isn't a fertile myrtle like Michelle, Jill, and Jessa.  Perhaps she is similar to Michael Bates.  

I just haven't seen anything that leads me to believe that Jinger has made an educated decision to put off children. Sure she's wearing walking shorts and slightly stylish shoes. But it's very likely she dresses this way because Jeremy likes it. After all, she never loved books, but she loves Jer and he loves books. Therefore, Jinger now loves books. 

Jinger is naive enough that Jeremy could be "pulling out" or even using condoms and she would probably be clueless. 

• Love 11

Obviously, the Duggar children would NOT know how to behave in a real classroom. Their Spanish lessons consisted of what, 6 kids at best around Mrs. Marjorie's Mother's dining room table. None of them have developed the skill of 'tuning out' others and concentrate themselves on what's being taught. I find it confusing that none of them thrived in this foreign language....IF, of course, those lessons were, in reality, ONE LESSON, for the show, er, I mean "ministry".

• Love 5
9 hours ago, floridamom said:

lascuba: I think that Jeremy didn't have the TIME to learn Spanish for his 'calling'. He was an athlete and that was the way he expected his professional life to go. When he was cut from the teams, he 'had the calling' to preach and everything happened so quickly that his daddy 'ordained him' and their friend, in that home church in San Antonio(?) assigned him to Laredo. It's all who you know, even in the preacher business, I guess. Jeremy didn't prepare at all, really to call himself a pastor. His sports career was washed up, so what else was he going to do? Don't get me wrong, I do believe that Jeremy has a belief in God and that he's grateful to Him. He did give up the party life and want to be closer to the Almighty...he just went the express route with his father's help. Jinger was supposed to have private Spanish lessons a few years ago with her siblings, but she knows NO Spanish? So much for the homeschooling, Duggar style.

He has a freaking business degree. Surely he could have chosen more wisely than being a piss poor preacher. The business world is pretty friendly to these ex-jock types. 

• Love 4
29 minutes ago, latetotheparty said:

He has a freaking business degree. Surely he could have chosen more wisely than being a piss poor preacher. The business world is pretty friendly to these ex-jock types. 

I don't know why, but I envision Der, Bin and Jer pre-Duggar-adjacency all having specific visions of themselves in their ministries -- visions that got fueled when they realized that famous fundie Duggar girl/women were available -- and I see those visions as just pretty trumping reality. (well, trumping reality for Der and Jer, who it seems have some other options....Bin has been so young through all of this that he hadn't yet prepared enough to realisitically get much else...) ...

Anyway, I see Der spending years imagining himself spending life as a roving missionary in some very exotic place -- like Nepal. And with a Duggar who also supposedly wanted that (he heard), he could see himself getting it. .... And I see Bin and Jer both imagining themselves as megachurch pastors with big television and online-streaming ministries that attract growing thousands of the Millennial and post-Millennial generations -- big pulpits with big audience draws, rejuvenating the church for the people in their age bracket. And, again, once they saw that famous fundie Duggar girl/women were available to them, it may have made these visions seem quite attainable, as they could build on the fame and followings of their wives.

My imaginings could be completely off base and completely unfair to the guys, of course. .... But I do think that their having seen it this way would fit the facts in a lot of ways....notably that, for example, Jer, who clearly looks to me like an ambitious person who thinks very well of himself, going for this church where the salary has to be small, when other options certainly should be available. I wonder whether to him it isn't just the initial kind of inconsequential stepping stone toward the big-time ministry career he imagines he'll get out of his talents and his advantageous marriage. That's the 'ministry" that I would expect he and Jingle were really talking about when, as I hear, they mentioned it the other night  on the show -- the future, big-time ministry that he (and maybe she?) thinks will come? 

• Love 8
28 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

I don't know why, but I envision Der, Bin and Jer pre-Duggar-adjacency all having specific visions of themselves in their ministries -- visions that got fueled when they realized that famous fundie Duggar girl/women were available -- and I see those visions as just pretty trumping reality. (well, trumping reality for Der and Jer, who it seems have some other options....Bin has been so young through all of this that he hadn't yet prepared enough to realisitically get much else...) ...

Anyway, I see Der spending years imagining himself spending life as a roving missionary in some very exotic place -- like Nepal. And with a Duggar who also supposedly wanted that (he heard), he could see himself getting it. .... And I see Bin and Jer both imagining themselves as megachurch pastors with big television and online-streaming ministries that attract growing thousands of the Millennial and post-Millennial generations -- big pulpits with big audience draws, rejuvenating the church for the people in their age bracket. And, again, once they saw that famous fundie Duggar girl/women were available to them, it may have made these visions seem quite attainable, as they could build on the fame and followings of their wives.

My imaginings could be completely off base and completely unfair to the guys, of course. .... But I do think that their having seen it this way would fit the facts in a lot of ways....notably that, for example, Jer, who clearly looks to me like an ambitious person who thinks very well of himself, going for this church where the salary has to be small, when other options certainly should be available. I wonder whether to him it isn't just the initial kind of inconsequential stepping stone toward the big-time ministry career he imagines he'll get out of his talents and his advantageous marriage. That's the 'ministry" that I would expect he and Jingle were really talking about when, as I hear, they mentioned it the other night  on the show -- the future, big-time ministry that he (and maybe she?) thinks will come? 

I would bet real money that you are right. The thing I think Jer doesn't understand is how much work those big time ministries are to establish. They don't just drop in you lap and you need a certain charisma. Does he have that?  I don't watch so I don't know but he married a Duggar so I bet not. 

• Love 5
15 minutes ago, latetotheparty said:

I would bet real money that you are right. The thing I think Jer doesn't understand is how much work those big time ministries are to establish. They don't just drop in you lap and you need a certain charisma. Does he have that?  I don't watch so I don't know but he married a Duggar so I bet not. 

None of the Duggar ministers come close to having any charisma.  I can't see any of them leading even an average sized church, ever.  Jeremy is the most sophisticated of the lot, and also the most delusional.  They are an arrogant bunch.

• Love 12
4 hours ago, RedheadZombie said:

I have a question as to why Jinger receives so much praise for not getting pregnant  immediately.  Perhaps she isn't a fertile myrtle like Michelle, Jill, and Jessa.  Perhaps she is similar to Michael Bates.  

I just haven't seen anything that leads me to believe that Jinger has made an educated decision to put off children. Sure she's wearing walking shorts and slightly stylish shoes. But it's very likely she dresses this way because Jeremy likes it. After all, she never loved books, but she loves Jer and he loves books. Therefore, Jinger now loves books. 

Jinger is naive enough that Jeremy could be "pulling out" or even using condoms and she would probably be clueless. 

They were asked where they saw themselves in one year's time, and in five years' time. Their one year's time plans has no mention of babies. Jeremy said that the period between one and five years from now would be a good time to start a family. (Or words to that effect. I haven't gone back to review the episode so it's my recollection only.) 

• Love 6
(edited)
7 hours ago, floridamom said:

@floridamom - there's more head shaking coming up on Monday night. TLC's website schedule includes this in the description of the new Counting On episode that night: "In Laredo, Jinger and Jeremy learn Spanish and test their skills at a local restaurant." 

In other don't-miss content, there's this: "Then the Dillards reveal the gender of baby number two!" [exclamation point in original]

Edited by Jeeves
  • Love 7
6 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

@floridamom - there's more head shaking coming up on Monday night. TLC's website schedule includes this in the description of the new Counting On episode that night: "In Laredo, Jinger and Jeremy learn Spanish and test their skills at a local restaurant." 

In other don't-miss content, there's this: "Then the Dillards reveal the gender of baby number two!" [exclamation point in original]

Yawn

• Love 7
8 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

Where does Joy enjoy dinner? My guide cut off right there, and I'm unable to read the entire description, including the exciting "gender" reveal part. *eyeroll*

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Genevrier said:

They were asked where they saw themselves in one year's time, and in five years' time. Their one year's time plans has no mention of babies. Jeremy said that the period between one and five years from now would be a good time to start a family. (Or words to that effect. I haven't gone back to review the episode so it's my recollection only.) 

Again, this is Jeremy talking.  So why is Jnger getting the credit?  It seems, if anything, she is submitting to her headship's swishes. 

• Love 4
52 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

Where does Joy enjoy dinner? My guide cut off right there, and I'm unable to read the entire description, including the exciting "gender" reveal part. *eyeroll*

The guide says, "Meanwhile, Joy enjoys dinner with Austin's family. Then the Dillards reveal . . . "

Eyerolls indeed. And yawns.

• Love 1
(edited)
5 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

The guide says, "Meanwhile, Joy enjoys dinner with Austin's family. Then the Dillards reveal . . . "

Eyerolls indeed. And yawns.

Thanks, I just upgraded and finally found the entire episode descriptions buried deep in the Guide section. Next week, Joe asks Kendra to court, and Joy gets engaged. What the hell will they show us for the season finale? Jana screwing in lightbulbs? 

Edited by Sew Sumi
space....it means something
  • Love 8

I don't get the logic TLC uses. Why have the wedding shown first, and then go back in time? The wedding should have been the season finale. So much time goes by before the seaosons air, that it's all pretty boring.

• Love 7
11 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Thanks, I just upgraded and finally found the entire episode descriptions buried deep in the Guide section. Next week, Joe asks Kendra to court, and Joy gets engaged. What the hell will they show us for the season finale? Jana screwing in lightbulbs? 

Dang. You spoiled it. That was going to be the big reveal of the final cliffhanger. 

2 hours ago, ginger90 said:

I don't get the logic TLC uses. Why have the wedding shown first, and then go back in time? The wedding should have been the season finale. So much time goes by before the seaosons air, that it's all pretty boring.

Well, they know that the wedding is really the only true audience draw that they have. So I wonder if they figure that only by televising it first will they get any audience at all for the season. I think that may well be the case. If people watch the first show, then some will be a little bit hooked or at least will have that inertia that carries us on doing something we started. .... So they basically start out with the largest potential audience they can have for that season and gradually dip down from there -- but at least they get some possible viewers for the season...... If they put the wedding at the end, I think they'd risk having almost nobody watch at all until that episode. 

• Love 8

Jeremy is already a pastor of a church with a large Spanish speaking population.  uh, hello?  NOW they are realizing that they need to learn Spanish????? Talk about stupid and poor planning.  Even if these clowns start today studying Spanish, it takes a long time to be really fluent in a language where you can get up and preach comfortably.  Jeremy hasn't mastered this in English yet! 

I am an English speaker and I speak Spanish as a second language.  (I work in a bilingual capacity).  It's hard and many times, I still struggle finding the right word or expression.  

Jeremy will need years to master Spanish and be able to preach, conduct Bible studies etc. That is a high level of of language mastery!  

And Jeremy has balls of brass to criticize Jill and Derick when he seems to be struggling in his own little language debacle.  Neither man is properly trained in their "job".     I'm on Team Ben; at least he is attempting to get a degree in something related to the ministry, no matter how lame it is. 

• Love 16

Why was an 'English speaking only" pastor assigned to a 50 person church in which Spanish is their first language? I highly doubt that Jeremy can ever preach in Spanish. Does his congregation even understand him preaching in English? What a waste of a pastor, IMO. Jeremy's daddy got him a job there, no doubt in my mind.

• Love 1
(edited)
14 minutes ago, floridamom said:

I think learning Spanish 'biblical language" is a major undertaking. Intense study is needed AFTER mastering fluent Spanish. How many years will that take Jeremy to accomplish?

EXACTLY!!!!!!!!

Learning a second language to a professional level of mastery is really, really, really hard. 

Are they so stupid that they think a few flashcards of basic nouns is going to get the job done???  It really does speak to how ignorant the entire group of them are.  If you're serious about a foreign language, you need to step it up and have a real plan. 

(I speak Spanish for work and I'd really like to learn Arabic. I realize it will take me years.  I need classes at a college, probably a tutor and years of practice. So, I'm not going to sit with flashcards and wonder why I'm not fluent)

Edited by Marigold
  • Love 7
21 minutes ago, floridamom said:

Why was an 'English speaking only" pastor assigned to a 50 person church in which Spanish is their first language?

Where was it stated that Jeremy's congregation is ESL? It could very well be that the majority of his congregation are people who were born here and speak English. I'm all for bashing Derrick & Jill for going to Danger America to preach without speaking Spanish, but I don't think Jeremy and Jinger have the same need to learn Spanish for their church members.

• Love 6
(edited)
19 minutes ago, Nysha said:

Where was it stated that Jeremy's congregation is ESL? It could very well be that the majority of his congregation are people who were born here and speak English. I'm all for bashing Derrick & Jill for going to Danger America to preach without speaking Spanish, but I don't think Jeremy and Jinger have the same need to learn Spanish for their church members.

I don't think anyone has posted definitive info that the congregation of that church is ESL. However, Laredo is a big border city, and the stats indicate that most residents speak Spanish, and I think it's a reasonable inference that someone fluent in Spanish will be better at outreach efforts than someone who isn't.

Unless there's a fluent Spanish speaker who's assisting Jeremy with pastoral and preaching duties, I assume his church congregation will be English speakers, as a matter of self-selection. I don't think anyone's going to volunteer to be preached at for an hour in a language they don't understand. Except those who've come because they want the free lunch that's dished up after the Sunday service. Jeremy and his HQ church may be just fine with only targeting people who speak English, but in Laredo, that's leaving a lot of potential converts out of their conversation. Just my opinion of course.

Edited by Jeeves
  • Love 7
6 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

I don't think anyone has posted definitive info that the congregation of that church is ESL. However, Laredo is a big border city, and the stats indicate that most residents speak Spanish, and I think it's a reasonable inference that someone fluent in Spanish will be better at outreach efforts than someone who isn't.

Unless there's a fluent Spanish speaker who's assisting Jeremy with pastoral and preaching duties, I assume his church congregation will be English speakers, as a matter of self-selection. I don't think anyone's going to volunteer to be preached at for an hour in a language they don't understand. Except those who've come because they want the free lunch that's dished up after the Sunday service.

Jeremy's outreach is going to be to people like himself, young adults who speak English. Unless we find out that the majority of his congregation cannot speak English, I just don't think it's that big of a deal that he doesn't speak Spanish. 

• Love 2

You know, it's highly probable that none of the Duggars have ever been serious about learning Spanish and everything we see is entirely TLC orchestrated. I'm sure Jill was as  serious as a Duggar can be as a teen, and TLC latched on to that as a "cute" storyline and have gone back to it at every opportunity. Jill and Derrick are going ot Danger America to be missionaries? TLC can film them taking Spanish classes and give us all a "laugh" as they attempt to communicate. Jinger and Jeremy live in a border town and Jeremy's church consist of Spanish speakers (which doesn't mean they don't also speak English, so I'm calling bullshit...I'm a Spanish speaker and I grew up in the US which means I'm also an English speaker)? Great, TLC has something to film. I'm thinking that learning Spanish never crossed Jeremy's mind until TLC told him he was going to pretend to learn for the cameras.  

• Love 12

totally agree with you @lascuba.  I think a lot of what we see isn't real and is staged and propped and sort of rehearsed and has multiple "takes" til they get it the way they want it.  I'm not saying they live a fab life we don't see.  I just think it is different from the edited rehearsed versions we see. for all we know, beautiful quiet meek Jana is a B*tch on wheels.

• Love 10
(edited)
1 hour ago, Nysha said:

I think the topic came up because the Jinger and Jeremy promo is that they are in a restaurant and can't order because they can't speak Spanish.  I'm assuming that means it's pretty heavy in the Spanish language. 

If that is the case, it's gonna be hard to go out and share the gospel with non-English speakers. 

Plus, Jeremy just set himself up nicely for some criticism when he bashed Derick being poorly prepared for Central America when Jeremy is in a similar situation. 

Edited by Marigold
  • Love 8
13 minutes ago, lookeyloo said:

totally agree with you @lascuba.  I think a lot of what we see isn't real and is staged and propped and sort of rehearsed and has multiple "takes" til they get it the way they want it.  I'm not saying they live a fab life we don't see.  I just think it is different from the edited rehearsed versions we see. for all we know, beautiful quiet meek Jana is a B*tch on wheels.

You might be joking, but I've suspected this for a while now. People assume she's meek and sweet because she's raised her siblings and doesn't say much in front of the cameras, but anyone who can manage a large crowd--and remember, Joy said Jana was the one she called when the kids were being rowdy because they know better than to misbehave around Jana--can't be meek. And it takes some cunning to keep herself as private as she has with the cameras around. None of the Duggars are exactly honest with the public, but all their personalities are still pretty obvious. That Jana's has remained a complete questions mark says a lot. 

11 minutes ago, Marigold said:

I think the topic came up because the Jinger and Jeremy promo is that they are in a restaurant and can't order because they can't speak Spanish.  I'm assuming that means it's pretty heavy in the Spanish language. 

If that is the case, it's gonna be hard to go out and share the gospel with non-English speakers. 

Plus, Jeremy just set himself up nicely for some criticism when he bashed Derick being poorly prepared for Central America when Jeremy is in a similar situation. 

Yeah, that's possible, but I'm still calling bullshit. TLC likely went out of their way to find some tiny  hole-in-wall place where none of the employees speak English. There's just no way that living in Laredo is a communication struggle for them. 

• Love 9
On 6/30/2017 at 11:47 AM, Kokapetl said:

The various Duggars learn Spanish because they want to speak to Spanish speaking people. Also, the size of the Spanish speaking community in the United States means they can easily find someone to teach them for free. 

This. They do some really off the wall and/or stupid things, but attempting to learn Spanish isn't one of them.

(edited)
3 hours ago, floridamom said:

Why was an 'English speaking only" pastor assigned to a 50 person church in which Spanish is their first language? I highly doubt that Jeremy can ever preach in Spanish. Does his congregation even understand him preaching in English? 

In a strange way, that might work in Babe's favor.  If they understood the garbled mess that he is trying to say, they might all walk out & go elsewhere.  

Edited by ariel
  • Love 21
1 hour ago, lascuba said:

You might be joking, but I've suspected this for a while now. People assume she's meek and sweet because she's raised her siblings and doesn't say much in front of the cameras, but anyone who can manage a large crowd--and remember, Joy said Jana was the one she called when the kids were being rowdy because they know better than to misbehave around Jana--can't be meek. And it takes some cunning to keep herself as private as she has with the cameras around. None of the Duggars are exactly honest with the public, but all their personalities are still pretty obvious. That Jana's has remained a complete questions mark says a lot. 

Yeah, that's possible, but I'm still calling bullshit. TLC likely went out of their way to find some tiny  hole-in-wall place where none of the employees speak English. There's just no way that living in Laredo is a communication struggle for them. 

ALLLL THISSSS! I don't think speaking Spanish is mandatory in Laredo, and they've never (as far as I know) stated that they're specifically trying to minister to Spanish speakers. Learning a second language is never a bad idea, in my opinion, 

As for Jana, I completely agree. She may be quiet, especially compared to the rest of them, and I will always think Mechelle is a narcissitic, competitive idiot for hating Jana since she 'kicked her constantly in the womb', but if I were Jana, I'd be bitter and salty. She's taken the brunt of Michelle's frustration since before birth, been robbed of her childhood, teen and young adult years, and now she's not being rewarded with that dream husband, etc. that she says she wants. Janerella does everything out of duty and probably some guilt and fear, but she needs to take some of that 'willfullness' and create a life she wants. Maybe she doesn't seem content because everyone keeps asking her to fit a mold she doesn't want, but she doesn't seem very happy to me.

• Love 9
2 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

I kind of hope Jana IS a BOW...I know I would be, having to deal with the endless kids and grifter parents who totally seem to use (abuse) her.

This show and many others probably are more staged than viewers realize.  I'm sure you're right!

• Love 10
(edited)

Laredo is a U.S. city, though, and a pretty old one at that, and people are largely bilingual there, even though many speak Spanish at home. According to this, about half of Laredo's Spanish speakers rate themselves as speaking English "very well."  Now, who knows what that actually means? But if the bilingual people I know are any gauge, that likely means that well over half probably speak -- and certainly understand -- English pretty darned well. Maybe Laredans are different, but the bilingual people I know rate themselves too harshly on their mastery of their second languages. http://statisticalatlas.com/place/Texas/Laredo/Languages

And, as others have said, I doubt that a lot of people are choosing a church where a language they're not comfortable with is the only one spoken, if they're among the minority of Laredo folk who aren't pretty comfortable -- or entirely comfortable -- with English.

For me, it's more of a cultural thing. They're in a heavily Hispanic area, and, as always, I'd like to see some Duggars and Duggar adjacents reach out to something and somebody in the world that's beyond their usual dumb comfort zone. Open themselves up to something. Try to learn something. Really try to understand somebody else's culture and ideas instead of just preaching about their own. 

Of course, I don't actually care whether they do. If they want to continue as their parochial, arrogant, fearful selves, they can go right ahead and do it. It won't serve them well. But if they're too dumb to do anything else, then who cares? I would hope for better from Jingle. But we'll see. ...............I'm curious how much Finnish Jer tried to learn when he was there and whether that was an okay experience for him or an extremely uncomfortable one. I don't remember hearing anything about that. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 8
34 minutes ago, lookeyloo said:

Not joking at all about Jana or the staged "reality" show

Jing and Babe had at least 3 different runs to the car at their wedding. Their WEDDING. There were edited into one scene. Fake all the way down.

• Love 7
3 minutes ago, floridamom said:

JoanArc: How do you know there were 3 different runs to the car at JinJer's wedding? Thanks.

There were screeencaps here, you can clearly see they filmed the same scene multiple times. It's also one where they lens flared Josh out.

• Love 6
23 hours ago, lascuba said:

Oh, I  agree.  It's a total set up.  

However, using their own set up, it makes jeremy look S.T.U.P.I.D.   Hey, TLC just told us that Jeremy is pastor of a church in an area where Spanish is the dominant language.  

English Pastor + Spanish population = stupid 

I enjoy that!

Especially after Jeremy pointed out:

English missionary + Spanish population = stupid

(In reality, Jeremy and Jinger are just fine in Laredo and as Churchie posted, most people do speak English.  But's it's rather snarkalicious).  

• Love 11
(edited)
3 hours ago, DOBABYR said:

Ppl do that at weddings all the time to get the perfect shot. I recently had to do my friend's sparkler exit 3 times at her wedding 

Good lord, are these millennials that precious?   Never mind, I answered my own question.  

Poor Jeremy should worry more about them being Catholic than not speaking English.  Has he learned NOTHING from the Dullards epic fail jaunt to Danger! America?

Oops, answered my own question again. 

Edited by leighdear
  • Love 9
On July 1, 2017 at 0:26 PM, lascuba said:

I don't know.  I think Jana was threatened because the kids know she is mom.  Joy's just the sister who babysits you.  I think the most powerful threat had to be Jessa.   She's the one who would neglect to feed them, leave them abandoned sobbing and trapped in the high chair, then chase them down and restrain them on he ground, because the rule is you take naps until you are 5!!!   Jessa ignored her charges when it came to nurturing, but seemed a little fond of punishing. 

• Love 7
On 6/28/2017 at 7:28 PM, Temperance said:

Yeah I could see many members of Jinger's family using that "working on the ministry" as another euphemism similiar to her parents "working on number 20". 

Or "playing minigolf."

• Love 3