Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggalos: Jinger and the Holy Goalie

Message added by cm-soupsipper,

Closure Notice: This Thread is now closed due to the name (and much of the posting within it). Please be mindful going forward by naming topics in a way that invites a healthy community conversation. If you name something for a cheap laugh, this thread may be closed later because it encourages discrimination and harm. 

• Start Topic

19 minutes ago, Lunera said:

Jeremy only has 2 Apps on his phone and no social media? Sure, Jan.

He probably has all the social media on his desktop computer with the big screen. Easier to edit the photos that way.   ;  )

• LOL 3
  • Love 12
25 minutes ago, Oldernowiser said:

Why does that blurb sound like it was written by an eight-year-old?

Have you ever watched Little People Big World? The podcast is by Jeremy and Audrey Roloff, that’s why it sounds like that!

• LOL 5
  • Love 3

My bullshit meter always rings when it comes to the Duggars clan. I am surprise it is not keeping me and the rest of the neighborhood up at night along with the dogs barking all day and night.

Edited by bigskygirl
12 minutes ago, BrianJ1962 said:

Do Ma & Pa Duggar truely vet the intended spouses of their children? I have a feeling Mr. V had a not so Duggar'esque lifestyle

Jeremy's testimony is about his transgressions in high school and college. But did Boob know about Jer's night in the drunk tank before the wedding?

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5

With respect to Churchoney's great analysis - this is why Jer may advance in the seminary/megachurch - he was able to basically swindle away a high priced commodity (Jingle, fame, TLC money) from a BSer like Jim Bob Duggar.

Oh, and Jer, Jingle - you didn't invent fing - Jim Bob and Michelle did!

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
30 minutes ago, BrianJ1962 said:

Do Ma & Pa Duggar truely vet the intended spouses of their children? I have a feeling Mr. V had a not so Duggar'esque lifestyle

Well, they give them a questionnaire. And they harangue them over a fast-food "dinner.' But since they don't seem to hook anybody up to a lie detector ....     ;  )

• LOL 2
2 minutes ago, BrianJ1962 said:

What if skeletons Holy Goalie's past come to light, there's not really anything Ma & Pa Duggar could do unless Jing jumps ship

Smugs could give him tips on how to blame the devil and hoping God will forgive him.

1 minute ago, BrianJ1962 said:

What if skeletons Holy Goalie's past come to light, there's not really anything Ma & Pa Duggar could do unless Jing jumps ship

What I've concluded about JB and M is this: As long as a thing doesn't stop money from coming in, that thing is fine......Whatever it may be.......If it's something that their cult would disapprove of -- but it keeps the money coming -- they'll just pretend it didn't happen or that they don't know about it......

And I expect TLC -- not to mention all the gossip rags -- would be thrilled to have a "rebel" Duggar or Duggar adjacent.  I mean, some of them have tried to make one out of Amy for years! So revelations wouldn't stop the show or get anybody kicked off of it.  And thus -- wouldn't stop the checks. So...it's fine.

Jer, on the other hand, may at the moment have some reason not to want anything iffy about himself coming out. But i doubt it would anyway. He probably never did anything much that would seem outrageous to your average person, coming from a 20-something guy. Only to Bill Gothard or other such lying self-righteous types. 

• Love 9
3 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

What I've concluded about JB and M is this: As long as a thing doesn't stop money from coming in, that thing is fine......Whatever it may be.......If it's something that their cult would disapprove of -- but it keeps the money coming -- they'll just pretend it didn't happen or that they don't know about it......

And I expect TLC -- not to mention all the gossip rags -- would be thrilled to have a "rebel" Duggar or Duggar adjacent.  I mean, some of them have tried to make one out of Amy for years! So revelations wouldn't stop the show or get anybody kicked off of it.  And thus -- wouldn't stop the checks. So...it's fine.

Jer, on the other hand, may at the moment have some reason not to want anything iffy about himself coming out. But i doubt it would anyway. He probably never did anything much that would seem outrageous to your average person, coming from a 20-something guy. Only to Bill Gothard or other such lying self-righteous types. 

Jermeme could be known as the Rebel Without a Cause

45 minutes ago, bigskygirl said:

My bullshit meter always rings when it comes to the Duggars clan. I am surprise it is not keeping me and the rest of the neighborhood up at night along with the dogs barking all day and night.

You have some of the best one-liners!

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, DangerousMinds said:

Their best friends have gray hair or are balding? Can someone explain?

It's probably that "my mom is my best friend" "my dad is my best friend" stuff, don't you think? 

Chuck would be the bald one. 

ETA: Sew Sumi got there first. 

Edited by Churchhoney
24 minutes ago, DangerousMinds said:

Maybe a reference that your best friends should be at least a generation older than you. So that you can use them as mentors.  

Now, no idea why the older people should have younger people for best  friends instead of the generation older than them. 

Edited by mythoughtis
  • LOL 1
  • Love 6
46 minutes ago, BrianJ1962 said:

The Duggers never jump ship!  Remember Anna!

• Love 7
30 minutes ago, DangerousMinds said:

image.png.f937cc03801df97d76d0e48d665fdf5a.png

John MacArthur Jeremy's new best friend.  Gray and balding.

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
8 minutes ago, mythoughtis said:

Maybe a reference that your best friends should be at least a generation older than you. So that you can use them as mentors.  

Now, no idea why the older people should have younger people for best  friends instead of the generation older than them. 

You seek logic in crazytown. 

1 minute ago, wilsie said:

image.png.f937cc03801df97d76d0e48d665fdf5a.png

John MacArthur Jeremy's new best friend.  Gray and balding.

Okay, now I know why Jer is Cade's new best friend! 

• LOL 10
  • Love 4
7 hours ago, Abmis said:

Jeremy is starting to remind me of Simon van Kempen.  It's only a matter of time before he starts posing against lamp posts, making eye contact at the opera, and forcing Felicity to order her lemonade in French. 

Except Jeremy is so much easier on the eyes than Simon, IMO anyway.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, bigskygirl said:

Jermeme could be known as the Rebel Without a Cause

Then Jinger could be the Rebel Without a Clue, although that could also work for Derick.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7

I can't imagine Jinger speaking on the phone with her BFF Michelle.

J: Hi Mom.

M: Hi Ja, Ja, em, Hi Jinger.

J: I miss you and the family.

M: This is a new season of life.

J: Felicity is almost walking.

M: Are you expecting again?

J: No Mom. She's babbling too.

M: Are you being joyfully available?

J: Yes Mom. We're moving to CA.

M: Okay Jinger. Don't forget to bring your calendar. Bye.

• LOL 15
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, DangerousMinds said:

Thank God they threw in gray hair, otherwise they might befriend their younger brothers!

• LOL 7
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, EVS said:

Then Jinger could be the Rebel Without a Clue, although that could also work for Derick.

None of the married Duggar daughters have a clue. Deredick could known as The Idiot Moron Without a Freaking Clue.

7 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I'm not as familiar with this group as many of you are, but, at the risk of sounding naive, how conservative could a church be that's located in LA?  lol 

I am sure if a person look hard enough they could find conservatives in LA. Jermeme and his irks probably think they can save all the conservatives and the heathen sinners by convincing them to think their way is the only way.

8 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I'm not as familiar with this group as many of you are, but, at the risk of sounding naive, how conservative could a church be that's located in LA?  lol 

If I’m a WeHo drag queen, I figure out which days TLC films The Furkles and show up for services with my fabulous beglittered self dialed up to twelve, along with my ten closest gal pals.

The hymn singing would be hugely improved, at the very least.

• LOL 13
  • Love 6

Conservatives are relatively easy to find in the Los Angeles area.  The percentage is less than Tontitown, but they're there especially out in the valley.  I've been invited to at least three conservative churches while watching Little League games in the foothills.  There are plenty of other churches with the same beliefs as Jeremy in the same general vicinity.  They won't have trouble finding people to socialize with who share similar beliefs even outside the immediate church circle.

Edited by Absolom
  • Useful 2
  • Love 8
32 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

California's actually a very diverse state when it comes to points of view!

And that definitely includes the LA area. Since around the 1930s, southern California has been a major center of the well-off and wealthy contingent of conservative Protestantism. In fact, up until about 30 years ago it was the major center of conservative-Protestant wealth.

Southern California's conservative-Protestant base has long been one of the driving forces of the rightward move of the Republican party beginning in the mid-20th-century as well. They were among the very top funders that pushed the GOP to abandon the liberal social policy the party leaders largely supported up until the early-to-mid 1970s, in fact. 

As for what "conservatism" means in this case .... Well, it seems to mean pretty much everything you'd normally include under that term, to some degree. 

But a couple of the aspects that seem significant to me are the view of women and the view of LGBT folks. 

The seminary that Jer attends and that's a part of the church complex they'll be going to completely excludes women as either students or teachers in any course on the pastoral/ministerial/theological track. They argue that women are barred by God from any such roles in church leadership. Or in any position -- such as teaching -- in which she might appear to be leading the men who'll lead churches. 

Leadership is wholly the province of men. And, to me, that sounds pretty conservative ... In fact, they're one of the very few seminaries left in the United States today that does that. 

They are also very hardline on homosexuality. Arguing, for example, that a person who claims to be homosexual categorically cannot be a Christian. 

Here's a rant I posted over on the Gimme Religion thread about what the head of the church and seminary says about this: 

"And here's MacArthur on what you do when your adult child comes out. .... He says it with a smile, in a smooth and polished voice, in a professionally produced slick video, in a room full of dark wood and polished brass, and while wearing a very well kept (and expensive) suit. (see below)        So it's probably all okay." 

http://thewartburgwatch.com/2014/06/23/john-macarthur-gay-children-two-rivers-gone-fbc-norfolk-gender-issues-james-macdonald-mars-hill-fight-church-sex-abuse/

This commentary is from the Wartburg Watch blog:

"1. John MacArthur: Bad advice on how to treat your adult child who tells you he/she is gay.

"Basically, if he is a Christian, get the church to throw him out. If he is a non-Christian, show compassion but hit him over the head with the gospel.™

"Where would we be without the ever present Matthew 18 which is adapted for each and every situation?

“[MacArthur quote] 'If that adult child professes Christ, claims to be a Christian, then that becomes an issue for confrontation of the sternest and strongest kind because that falls under Matthew 18.'

"He says the church must confront them using Matthew 18. If they  do not repent, the church must throw them out. Later, he goes on to say the following, again about a child who professes to be a Christian.

"[Another MacArthur quote] If they profess to be a Christian, you have to alienate them, you have to separate them. You can’t condone that; it’s inconsistent with the profession of Christ. So, you isolate them; you don’t have a meal with them; you separate yourself from them. You turn them over to Satan, as it were as scripture says.”

So ... seems pretty conservative to me. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Useful 2
10 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

California's actually a very diverse state when it comes to points of view!

And that definitely includes the LA area. Since around the 1930s, southern California has been a major center of the well-off and wealthy contingent of conservative Protestantism. In fact, up until about 30 years ago it was the major center of conservative-Protestant wealth.

Southern California's conservative-Protestant base has long been one of the driving forces of the rightward move of the Republican party beginning in the mid-20th-century as well. They were among the very top funders that pushed the GOP to abandon the liberal social policy the party leaders largely supported up until the early-to-mid 1970s, in fact. 

As for what "conservatism" means in this case .... Well, it seems to mean pretty much everything you'd normally include under that term, to some degree. 

But a couple of the aspects that seem significant to me are the view of women and the view of LGBT folks. 

The seminary that Jer attends and that's a part of the church complex they'll be going to completely excludes women as either students or teachers in any course on the pastoral/ministerial/theological track. They argue that women are barred by God from any such roles in church leadership. Or in any position -- such as teaching -- in which she might appear to be leading the men who'll lead churches. 

Leadership is wholly the province of men. And, to me, that sounds pretty conservative ... In fact, they're one of the very few seminaries left in the United States today that does that. 

They are also very hardline on homosexuality. Arguing, for example, that a person who claims to be homosexual categorically cannot be a Christian. 

Here's a rant I posted over on the Gimme Religion thread about what the head of the church and seminary says about this: 

"And here's MacArthur on what you do when your adult child comes out. .... He says it with a smile, in a smooth and polished voice, in a professionally produced slick video, in a room full of dark wood and polished brass, and while wearing a very well kept (and expensive) suit. (see below)        So it's probably all okay." 

http://thewartburgwatch.com/2014/06/23/john-macarthur-gay-children-two-rivers-gone-fbc-norfolk-gender-issues-james-macdonald-mars-hill-fight-church-sex-abuse/

This commentary is from the Wartburg Watch blog:

"1. John MacArthur: Bad advice on how to treat your adult child who tells you he/she is gay.

"Basically, if he is a Christian, get the church to throw him out. If he is a non-Christian, show compassion but hit him over the head with the gospel.™

"Where would we be without the ever present Matthew 18 which is adapted for each and every situation?

“[MacArthur quote] 'If that adult child professes Christ, claims to be a Christian, then that becomes an issue for confrontation of the sternest and strongest kind because that falls under Matthew 18.'

"He says the church must confront them using Matthew 18. If they  do not repent, the church must throw them out. Later, he goes on to say the following, again about a child who professes to be a Christian.

"[Another MacArthur quote] If they profess to be a Christian, you have to alienate them, you have to separate them. You can’t condone that; it’s inconsistent with the profession of Christ. So, you isolate them; you don’t have a meal with them; you separate yourself from them. You turn them over to Satan, as it were as scripture says.”

So ... seems pretty conservative to me. 

Makes me sad and sick at the same time. Please note I have nothing against conservatives or liberals, but this way of thinking makes me angry.

I appreciate the info.  But, I think that my idea of a conservative church is rather different than most.  When I was growing up fundie, our church, even though it was a sister church to Thomas Road Baptist Church (Jerry Fallwell senior's church at the time), they sort of frowned on him for being too liberal.  I'm NOT kidding. So, you get some idea.  lol

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I appreciate the info.  But, I think that my idea of a conservative church is rather different than most.  When I was growing up fundie, our church, even though it was a sister church to Thomas Road Baptist Church (Jerry Fallwell senior's church at the time), they sort of frowned on him for being too liberal.  I'm NOT kidding. So, you get some idea.  lol

Well, there's definitely a wide range of conservative beliefs, no question! (same is true of liberal beliefs, of course). 

But now you've started so I'm dying to know! What made Falwell too liberal and what beliefs actually make a church fall under the conservative category for you? 

Can you be a fundamentalist and a Calvinist, for example? .... And on this definition, there must be only a tiny handful of churches that you would consider actually conservative, right? Or no? .... 

Which of the things I mentioned disqualify MacArthur from being conservative? 

As you can imagine -- given my sick fascination with all this -- I really want to hear!

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 1
19 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

Well, there's definitely a wide range of conservative beliefs, no question! (same is true of liberal beliefs, of course). 

But now you've started so I'm dying to know! What made Falwell too liberal and what beliefs actually make a church fall under the conservative category for you? 

Oh my.  Well, for one thing his church members wore choir robes.  And, the fundie church we attended, (under protest, my parents insisted) felt that a woman should have her skirt to a certain length and that a choir robe would allow her to circumvent that requirement. So, she could be wearing a short skirt and hiding it with a choir robe.  As true Christians, you had to put your long skirt on display.  I'm mot kidding. Grown people said this kind of stuff.

And, the church service pamphlets that give the order of the service, hymn pages, etc. were not right. They thought that was putting a restriction on the holy spirit.  That in order to allow the holy spirit free reign, you had to have it open so there was no set way to pray, sing, read scripture, etc.  I never could figure out how the holy spirit could be controlled by a piece of paper, but, they seemed very concerned about that. lol 

And, then there was Rev. Falwell being so involved with tv. They thought tv was sinful and having contact with it, even for services was dangerous and playing with the devil.   They didn't like it when he fellowshipped with liberals, like Billy Graham.  Bill Graham was very sinful and dangerous to the true Christian (fundie) church. (One reason is that Graham did not condemn Catholics, who were very ungodly and bound for hell.) Falwell senior admired Graham and that did not set well with hardline fundies.

And, they thought only Bible teaching was important.  Secular education was dangerous and unnecessary.  Falwell's dream was to expand the Bible College to a university.   And, I could go on.  Some of these hardliners have changed, but, some have not.  My parents church has come a long way in the last 20 years, but, still disturbs me to the point that I can't attend it.  Sort of like PTSD. 

https://www1.cbn.com/cbnnews/us/2018/february/he-had-only-one-thing-on-his-mind-jerry-falwell-jr-reflects-on-billy-grahams-passion-for-preaching

Oh, another one.  They disapproved on his church's music. It was too contemporary.  The choir put out a Christmas album with the choir set up in the shape of a Christmas tree.  Christmas trees were taboo at that time.  It was highly controversial and my parents church, once again, thought that Falwell was going way too liberal.  lol 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Useful 3
  • Love 2
33 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Oh my.  Well, for one thing his church members wore choir robes.  And, the fundie church we attended, (under protest, my parents insisted) felt that a woman should have her skirt to a certain length and that a choir robe would allow her to circumvent that requirement. So, she could be wearing a short skirt and hiding it with a choir robe.  As true Christians, you had to put your long skirt on display.  I'm mot kidding. Grown people said this kind of stuff.

And, the church service pamphlets that give the order of the service, hymn pages, etc. were not right. They thought that was putting a restriction on the holy spirit.  That in order to allow the holy spirit free reign, you had to have it open so there was no set way to pray, sing, read scripture, etc.  I never could figure out how the holy spirit could be controlled by a piece of paper, but, they seemed very concerned about that. lol 

And, then there was Rev. Falwell being so involved with tv. They thought tv was sinful and having contact with it, even for services was dangerous and playing with the devil.   They didn't like it when he fellowshipped with liberals, like Billy Graham.  Bill Graham was very sinful and dangerous to the true Christian (fundie) church. (One reason is that Graham did not condemn Catholics, who were very ungodly and bound for hell.) Falwell senior admired Graham and that did not set well with hardline fundies.

And, they thought only Bible teaching was important.  Secular education was dangerous and unnecessary.  Falwell's dream was to expand the Bible College to a university.   And, I could go on.  Some of these hardliners have changed, but, some have not.  My parents church has come a long way in the last 20 years, but, still disturbs me to the point that I can't attend it.  Sort of like PTSD. 

https://www1.cbn.com/cbnnews/us/2018/february/he-had-only-one-thing-on-his-mind-jerry-falwell-jr-reflects-on-billy-grahams-passion-for-preaching

Oh, another one.  They disapproved on his church's music. It was too contemporary.  The choir put out a Christmas album with the choir set up in the shape of a Christmas tree.  Christmas trees were taboo at that time.  It was highly controversial and my parents church, once again, thought that Falwell was going way too liberal.  lol 

Thanks! ....

This is fascinating stuff (I know -- not if you were forced to participate in it!) .... One of my favorites is the rejection of having the service laid out in a pamphlet. 

That reminds me of a Quaker meeting....... 

Was this a pentecostal church? 

Regarding the above picture- Joe doesn’t fit with the other three who look well dressed I. Their spring outfits. He just doesn’t match.  And... why do none of the Duggar boys not know how to polish shoes? 

Joe’s jacket is I’ll fitting and his shirt is untucked. He also appears to be eating well.

• Love 2

Now that Joe is married, there is no reason for him to be owning and wearing pants that are inches too long.  Kendra is pregnant with their second child, it cannot still be a sin for her to measure his inseam.  

• LOL 8
  • Love 2