Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggalos: Jinger and the Holy Goalie

Message added by cm-soupsipper,

Closure Notice: This Thread is now closed due to the name (and much of the posting within it). Please be mindful going forward by naming topics in a way that invites a healthy community conversation. If you name something for a cheap laugh, this thread may be closed later because it encourages discrimination and harm. 

• Start Topic

I don't believe that one can be a Christian 'of the wrong stripe'. The Almighty appreciates all acknowledgement of Him and His Son, Jesus, etc. if we do it with a sincere heart. Thank you, Jynnan tonnix for your post. I give you a 'like'. Jeremy is just a jerk, IMO and you all can tell that I don't like him much today.

• Love 12

"Precious." ?

That's a fairly sophisticated dress Jinger has on. You could wear it to a wedding in the northeast, easily. But shouldn't her parents be worried about her bare arms that might arouse impure thoughts? 

• Love 9
5 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

Sadly, the problem with their sort of mindset - which they absolutely believe is backed up by the Bible - is that Jesus himself, while no doubt showing love and respect toward the person, would still regretfully have to inform even a professed Christian of the wrong stripe, that unless they carefully cultivated a "relationship" wherein Jesus was the absolute headship in their lives, they would, unfortunately not be saved. Nothing anyone can do about it, because God is incapable of being around sin, everyone is born a sinner, and only accepting Jesus can wash it clean. QED. I still don't understand how the supposed "sin" of being misled is somehow unforgivable when all sins are supposedly equal, but whatever. I think it has something to do with unknowingly worshiping demons or something....Of course, they also believe 100% that the way they live their lives is ultimately Godly, even if some of their notions change over the years. Because they live in constant "communication" with God, he can lay it on their hearts that some things which were formerly forbidden are now OK because maybe you have grown or some such.

Another forum I post on (atheist themed) calls this SPAG - Self-Projection As God. It's why so few people, even of the same sect, seem to be able to agree exactly what God means or wants in certain situations. In other words, if God is telling you to do something, it's probably because that's what you either want or feel you should do to begin with.

God is incapable of being around sin? I guess their god is not omnipotent

Jinger's outfit looks sophisticated and expensive.  I think it would look even nicer in another color and with heels.  I've noticed that the Duggar and Bates ladies do not wear heels.  Is it against their religion?  The reason I am asking is because Erin Bates said wedges are her favorite and joked that she has over 100 pair.  

IIRC Ben and Jessa were introduced to Jeremy by a mutual friend in San Antonio who encouraged them to go to Bible Study at Jeremy's house.  It just seems very strange that if Jessa and Jinger were together for the weekend that a picture of them together wouldn't be the highlighted pic on DFO.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Sew Sumi said:

I wonder who they and Benessa know that the main family doesn't? Must be someone in San Antonio at Jeremy's parent church. 

Well, since the Seewalds were Vision Forum (San Antonio-based) for some time, and Bin's been known to engineer visits to Texas (hasn't he?), I have wondered whether he doesn't have some old connections through VF.... some young guy or family that he met there and kept in touch with? .... And if he does, that's conceivably somebody Jer could have met through the parent church as well. 

• Love 1

My grandmother wore heels back in the day to work and her feet were very deformed years later because it was the rage to look like you wore fashions from Paris.  As a result I am rather anti-heel and taught my daughter to be the same way.  It was easy- all I had to do was show her great-grandma's feet.  I refused flats at my wedding as well.

So I hope Jinger never wears heels for pain.  I love her black dress.  Very chic.  

Every time I see a picture of Jinger now that she's married, I am struck by how happy she looks...and even though I still think she married young there is no denying she looks great.

• Love 22
15 minutes ago, Jellybeans said:

My grandmother wore heels back in the day to work and her feet were very deformed years later because it was the rage to look like you wore fashions from Paris.  As a result I am rather anti-heel and taught my daughter to be the same way.  It was easy- all I had to do was show her great-grandma's feet.  I refused flats at my wedding as well.

So I hope Jinger never wears heels for pain.  I love her black dress.  Very chic.  

Every time I see a picture of Jinger now that she's married, I am struck by how happy she looks...and even though I still think she married young there is no denying she looks great.

My great-grandmother was a schoolteacher when teachers were required to wear heels and dresses at all times. Her feet were deformed, too. I avoid heels for that reason and because they're uncomfortable. Maybe Jinger doesn't like heels because they make her feet hurt. 

Jinger can't win with some people. 

• Love 19
18 minutes ago, Jellybeans said:

I pay very little attention to shoes...Have even tried to zoom in on that picture to see what is wrong with her footwear, but between her feet being half cropped out of the photo and the picture being a bit fuzzy when blown up, I have not the least clue what she actually has on her feet except that the shoes appear to be a lighter color. Then again I've seen people also being criticized for being too "matchy-matchy", so I'm pretty lost in general what is acceptable and what isn't. 

Also, are wedges not considered heels? I never wear stilettos as they wobble, get stuck in things, and are impossible to wear if there is any grass involved for them to sink into. I do, however, like to wear a "heel" of two inches or so if I'm getting even remotely dressed up. But they are almost invariably wedges. I've always thought of them as "heels"... I have one pair of dressy evening shoes with a spikier heel, but generally manage to ditch them at some point during the evening (as soon as I see some other people ditching theirs, which almost always seems to happen sooner rather than later. Why do shoes have to come in "acceptable" and "unacceptable" varieties anyway? As long as they are reasonably attractive and comfortable, shouldn't any shoes be OK for an occasion you are going to be standing on your feet a lot?

• Love 16
(edited)

@Floridamom, I was raised Catholic and am not religious but still "culturally Catholic." I also never heard anyone in Catholic mass or school, etc ever demean other religions. But Jeremy and many like him seem to think Christianity is basically about getting together to make lists of people they think God hates. 

I maintain that much of his Catholic hate is because Jeremy is jealous there are more cars in the local Catholic church's parking lot on Sunday (and there were probably more at the local Catholic Church in New Jersey than at his dad's church, too). Plus, in heavily Catholic/culturally Catholics areas (like parts of Texas with high numbers of Hispanics), priests are generally treated with respect and deference by the community.

Jeremy has been church-plant-ing and even married into the crazy Duggar family! He's on TV! He's a former athlete and he's tall and handsome! Why oh why doesn't he have the local social standing and flock that those ebil, heathen Catholics do. He even puts up with hanging out around JimBob a few times a year! He's super jelly. 

Edited by MyPeopleAreNordic
  • Love 13

I think Jim Bob is naturally an ass and a clown with poor judgement.  It's easy for the TLC staff to egg him on. 

That very awkward and rude scene with Jim Bob hooting about Jeremy's smelly closet and not making enough money...I bet the producer told Jim Bob to be the "discerning FIL and find a few things to say about his prospective SIL"   Jim Bob took the cue and ran with it. Unfortunately.  That was one of Jim Bob's worst moments on camera. Very Cringe.  Jim Bob was clowning around with his inappropriate humor and that particular time, it got kinda mean and uncomfortable, especially with Jeremy's parents there.  Maybe TLC was hoping for a little argument or a few snide comments from the Vuolos but instead, Jim Bob looked extra awful. 

Jim is self involved and so is JereME so really, they are an explosive combination. 

• Love 3

Is Jinger's dress black?  On my computer it looks dark burgundy.  I can't really see her shoes.  I wore very high heels for a while, on and off, then lower heels every day.  My feet are not deformed in any way.  My grandmother had deformed feet and she said because back in the day she had to wear whatever shoes were available, whether they were her size or not, and also back then shoes weren't made for left or right feet.  

• Love 2
(edited)
43 minutes ago, Anonymousie said:

My great-grandmother was a schoolteacher when teachers were required to wear heels and dresses at all times. Her feet were deformed, too. I avoid heels for that reason and because they're uncomfortable. Maybe Jinger doesn't like heels because they make her feet hurt. 

Jinger's worn heels several times. Maybe she doesn't have black ones? But as the self-professed family shopper, I'm surprised she doesn't have a pair. She wore light colored heels as Joy's bridesmaid.

eta: I enlarged a Swatch of the dress. It's black.

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, lookeyloo said:

Is Jinger's dress black?  On my computer it looks dark burgundy.  I can't really see her shoes.  I wore very high heels for a while, on and off, then lower heels every day.  My feet are not deformed in any way.  My grandmother had deformed feet and she said because back in the day she had to wear whatever shoes were available, whether they were her size or not, and also back then shoes weren't made for left or right feet.  

Everyone is different. My great-grandmother was the youngest in a big, fairly affluent family, and somewhat spoiled (her dad bought her a new car in the 1920s to drive to her teaching job). I imagine that she didn't have to wear hand-me-down shoes if she didn't want to. 

Heels make me want to cut my feet off. 

• Love 12
Just now, Anonymousie said:

Everyone is different. My great-grandmother was the youngest in a big, fairly affluent family, and somewhat spoiled (her dad bought her a new car in the 1920s to drive to her teaching job). I imagine that she didn't have to wear hand-me-down shoes if she didn't want to. 

I think that is true. My grandmother came from very poor beginnings, in Russia, and came over here when she was about 7.  She had a made up birthday because no one could remember the actual date.  They were just probably trying to stay alive.  

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

Jinger's worn heels several times. Maybe she doesn't have black ones? But as the self-professed family shopper, I'm surprised she doesn't have a pair. She wore light colored heels as Joy's bridesmaid.

eta: I enlarged a Swatch of the dress. It's black.

Maybe she didn't feel like wearing heels now. Maybe she knew she'd be on her feet a lot. Maybe she's got plantar fasciitis (like me) and opted for comfort. 

I like her dress. It's not Duggarlike at all. 

• Love 17
5 hours ago, Lunera said:

Screenshot_20170717-085049.thumb.jpg.85d9c210dc8726fbf96e3595c8a5134f.jpg

Jeremy probably got the pre-made 'I love you' bouquet because it's symbolic and cheap.

As a low paid tiny- house fake pastor,. I have no problem with Jeremy living within his means.

• Love 13
(edited)

I just enlarged her feet. They're pitched downward, and it appears that she's wearing nude strappy sandals. Probably the same ones she wore at Joy's wedding.

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, lookeyloo said:

I think that is true. My grandmother came from very poor beginnings, in Russia, and came over here when she was about 7.  She had a made up birthday because no one could remember the actual date.  They were just probably trying to stay alive.  

My grandmother also came from Russia, and she used 1/1/1900 as her birthdate.  Similar situation, sounds like.

I haven't been able to wear heels since my 20's.  I never really got used to them.  

I just find it odd that Jing wore black to a wedding, but the dress did look nice.  Even though Jer seems to be way too full of himself, like Boob, it seems like Jing is way happier being away from all that chaos "back home."  

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Anonymousie said:

I used to work in a bank and I would see the girls in the teller line wear really pointed toe shoes with really high heels.  Of course they were on their feet all day.  Somewhat formal business attire was required at my bank, but high heels wasn't one of the requirements.

I used to see them in the lunch room and I would give them a bad time about their shoes.  I tried to give them old lady advice about being kind to their feet and their knees.  They would shake their heads and tell me how cute the shoes were.   Sigh.  At least I tried.

If Jinger is going for feet comfort, more power to her.

• Love 12
(edited)
5 minutes ago, xwordfanatik said:

My grandmother also came from Russia, and she used 1/1/1900 as her birthdate.  Similar situation, sounds like.

I haven't been able to wear heels since my 20's.  I never really got used to them.  

I just find it odd that Jing wore black to a wedding, but the dress did look nice.  Even though Jer seems to be way too full of himself, like Boob, it seems like Jing is way happier being away from all that chaos "back home."  

Here in the Midwest, I see women in black dresses at weddings all the time, no matter what time of day.  This seems particularly common amongst the younger folk.  Last wedding I went to was 2 months ago and there were at least half a dozen young women attending in black dresses.  The dress code wasn't formal; but certainly not casual, either.  I didn't think twice when I saw Jinger in a black dress at the wedding.

We have a large Immigrant population where I practice with many women from Somalia, Nepal and other developing nations.  They are all given the birthdate January 1 by immigration because, in their culture, birthdays aren't recognized.  They know what time of year they were born, but not the date usually.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 13
2 hours ago, Anonymousie said:

Poor, poor Jinger. Very little education, but gets a nice paycheck from TLC.  Had a lavish honeymoon paid for too.  My heart is bleeding for her.

• Love 8
4 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Jinger needs to learn real wedding etiquette: black only for black tie and/or evening weddings. Jeremy passes muster in navy.

That's definitely not the rule in the NY area. I can't speak to customs in Texas. 

• Love 19
2 hours ago, Jellybeans said:

My grandmother's toes were so squished together that the second toe actually rested on top of the big toe. Mother always told me that it was caused by her having worn pointy shoes all her life, but then my daughter was born with her toes exactly like that. Go figure. 

• Love 9
(edited)

Central Illinois doesn't care what color you wear to a wedding as long as it differs from the bride  and bridesmaid, and doesn't outshine them.  Of course, we frown on weddings that cost more than the house you are going to buy first too. We don't mind heavy appetizers as a meal either.  

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Love 24
2 minutes ago, mythoughtis said:

Central Illinois doesn't care what color you wear to a wedding as long as it differs from the bride  and bridesmaid, and doesn't outshine them.  Of course, we frown on weddings that cost more than the house you are going to buy first too. We don't mind heavy appetizers as a meal either.  

I've never heard you can't wear the same color as the bridemaids. I usually don't know what color they're wearing until I get there. 

• Love 11

I was brought up that the MOB gets to pick out her dress first and the MOG shouldn't wear that color. .It's the MOB's honor to choose first. No one should wear the bridesmaids' color either. Black is now acceptable for any day/time of the wedding.

On another note folks, I felt a bit beat up about commenting on Jessa's shoes. I'm not trying to be picky, as her dress is great, BUT she needed to wear dress shoes. We know she has them as she wore those kicky heels under her wedding dress AND she has those nice lower healed dress black pumps that she wore on her honeymoon in Australia. The picture was taken outside of the Sydney Opera House. She should have worn those. I don't think wedgie sandals are dressy shoes. They can be 'nice casual'. That's all I'm saying. Sorry if I got anyone upset about that.

Yes, also a really nice buffet at a reception is great too.

• Love 6
(edited)
3 hours ago, Genevrier said:

My grandmother's toes were so squished together that the second toe actually rested on top of the big toe. Mother always told me that it was caused by her having worn pointy shoes all her life, but then my daughter was born with her toes exactly like that. Go figure. 

I've had bunions and now twisty toes (age 60) since I was 19 and 32. Both feet.  I have NEVER worn high heels and always worked in a hospital where running shoes were appropriate.

Nowdays, doctors think estrogen causes bunions, which causes ligaments to soften and then the bones can become displaced.

Since the Duggar girls were always barefoot or wearing flip-flops, any sort of real shoe is a plus.

Edited by louannems
  • Love 8
14 minutes ago, floridamom said:

On another note folks, I felt a bit beat up about commenting on Jessa's shoes. I'm not trying to be picky, as her dress is great, BUT she needed to wear dress shoes. 

Don't feel that way.  If everyone thought the same way, we would be Duggars.

• Love 14
1 hour ago, doodlebug said:

Here in the Midwest, I see women in black dresses at weddings all the time, no matter what time of day.  This seems particularly common amongst the younger folk.  Last wedding I went to was 2 months ago and there were at least half a dozen young women attending in black dresses.  The dress code wasn't formal; but certainly not casual, either.  I didn't think twice when I saw Jinger in a black dress at the wedding.

We have a large Immigrant population where I practice with many women from Somalia, Nepal and other developing nations.  They are all given the birthdate January 1 by immigration because, in their culture, birthdays aren't recognized.  They know what time of year they were born, but not the date usually.

Interesting!  So immigration still uses the same date, all these years later, for people that aren't certain the actual day they were born.

I've heard it's become common to wear black to weddings (I haven't been to one lately) but somehow it just struck me as odd that a Duggar would do that.

It was a very becoming dress.  I wonder if any of Jinge's sisters would have worn it?  Go Jinge!

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Genevrier said:

My mother-in-law had that too.  She called it hammer toe.

I don't know whether it was from pointy toes or high heels, but it could have been.

2 hours ago, mythoughtis said:

Seriously, I'm in Central/Southern Illinois and the wedding etiquette talk is lost on me!  Don't dress like it's YOUR wedding, show up with a gift, maybe wear some pants or a sundress and you're good. Jinger and Jeremy are overdressed for some of the weddings I've attended recently. 

• Love 6

Regarding how Jer/Jin dressed, was this a nice sit down event or did it happen in the bowels of Jeremy's plant church where only non-alcoholic punch & mints were served?

It's not at Jeremy's church.  If it's in Texas, it's in the Hill Country closer to San Antonio.  Laredo just doesn't have the lush trees.

However Jeremy posted a picture of Jinger today that looks like it was taken on a airplane.  She's wearing the same earrings from the wedding.  If they flew somewhere, who knows where the wedding was.

• Love 1

It's well documented that high heels are bad for backs, calves ankles and feet.

I never wear heels, I don't think that means I'm not well dressed or well dressed enough 

• Love 12
6 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

Also, are wedges not considered heels? I never wear stilettos as they wobble, get stuck in things, and are impossible to wear if there is any grass involved for them to sink into. I do, however, like to wear a "heel" of two inches or so if I'm getting even remotely dressed up. But they are almost invariably wedges. I've always thought of them as "heels"... I have one pair of dressy evening shoes with a spikier heel, but generally manage to ditch them at some point during the evening (as soon as I see some other people ditching theirs, which almost always seems to happen sooner rather than later. Why do shoes have to come in "acceptable" and "unacceptable" varieties anyway? As long as they are reasonably attractive and comfortable, shouldn't any shoes be OK for an occasion you are going to be standing on your feet a lot?

Mostly, but I don't think you can get away with wedges in formalwear.  Maybe exceptions for floor-length dresses but the taffeta cocktail/ballroom dresses, no.  I have plantar fasciitis and high rigid arches and it's one of the distresses of my life that I can't wear cute stilettos anymore, but I wouldn't care about that if (a) wedges became the norm; and (b), I was already married, because invariably 99.99% of the single women looking for mates wear sexy fuck-me shoes, and I'm going around like Bea Arthur in clodhoppers 30 years before my time.   

5 hours ago, doodlebug said:

Agreed, as caveat to the above single women's plaint; women in the Northeast, in my experience, especially young and single ones, look for any occasion under the sun to wear little cocktail dresses, and have since I was in high school in the 80's.  (aside:  "Semi-formals", were "semi" only for the men.  The girls wore formal dresses, and didn't care if they were "wrong" according to the etiquette books, while the young men could get away with wearing khakis and in a few instance even jeans, under a button-down of some type with a tie; they certainly weren't running around in tuxedos).  Once I went to a late spring/early summer outdoor afternoon wedding in NYC, and I was one of only two women under 40 not wearing ubiquitous floaty LBD's.  If Jeremy has been required to spend any time at East Coast weddings as a single man he wouldn't think it weird at all, were his advice solicited.

• Love 4
(edited)
55 minutes ago, queenanne said:

Mostly, but I don't think you can get away with wedges in formalwear.  Maybe exceptions for floor-length dresses but the taffeta cocktail/ballroom dresses, no.  I have plantar fasciitis and high rigid arches and it's one of the distresses of my life that I can't wear cute stilettos anymore, but I wouldn't care about that if (a) wedges became the norm; and (b), I was already married, because invariably 99.99% of the single women looking for mates wear sexy fuck-me shoes, and I'm going around like Bea Arthur in clodhoppers 30 years before my time.

If I may, I'd like to point you toward footsmart.com. They carry a range of very nice, dressy shoes that are actually orthopedic. They don't run cheap, usually, but they have a variety of brands so there's a range. They carry every kind of shoes, but the dress shoes in particular have saved me from having to enter Bea Arthur-land (thank heavens). 

ETA Apologies for going so far off topic. 

Edited by Genevrier
  • Love 10
6 hours ago, floridamom said:

I was brought up that the MOB gets to pick out her dress first and the MOG shouldn't wear that color. .It's the MOB's honor to choose first. No one should wear the bridesmaids' color either. Black is now acceptable for any day/time of the wedding.

On another note folks, I felt a bit beat up about commenting on Jessa's shoes. I'm not trying to be picky, as her dress is great, BUT she needed to wear dress shoes. We know she has them as she wore those kicky heels under her wedding dress AND she has those nice lower healed dress black pumps that she wore on her honeymoon in Australia. The picture was taken outside of the Sydney Opera House. She should have worn those. I don't think wedgie sandals are dressy shoes. They can be 'nice casual'. That's all I'm saying. Sorry if I got anyone upset about that.

Yes, also a really nice buffet at a reception is great too.

Agree 100%

• Love 1
(edited)
11 hours ago, Temperance said:

I've never heard you can't wear the same color as the bridemaids. I usually don't know what color they're wearing until I get there. 

I've never had any idea in advance of the wedding  what color the bridesmaids would be wearing unless I was one of them.

Concerning the bride's mother's dress, it'd always been the same tradition where i live that the bride's mother chooses her dress, then the groom's mother chooses.  Close family members know what colors the bride's and groom's mother have chosen and steer away from those colors, but usually no one else in attendance has any clue as to what colors the bridesmaids or bride's or groom's mothers will be wearing.

Anyone here has every right to comment on personal taste. I'm not castigating anyone else  for critiquing Jinger's or any other bride's shoes, but I personally don't think there's any "need to," "supposed to," or "should," where bridal footwear is concerned.  A bride shouldn't need to consult  Emily Post about what is or isn't proper attire.  If she chooses running shoes or bedroom slippers, they will look a bit silly (IMO) if the shoes show at all under her dress, but it's her prerogative to look silly on her special day if that's how she chooses to look.  I've been to more than one wedding where the bride wore cowboy boots under her formal white gown. I thought the look was atrocious, but it wasn't what I thought that mattered. 

Again, we all  should have the freedom to voice opinions here, and I'm not criticizing anyone here for sharing opinions.   

Edited by jilliannatalia
  • Love 11