Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E07: The Broken Man

• Start Topic

The High Sparrow considers another target; Jaime confronts a hero; Arya makes a plan; memories are awakened in

Reminder: There is open air book talk here. If you are just watching the TV show and you don't want to stumble into a potential spoiler you should leave now. Book Talk assumes you have read all the books to date. Any information from unpublished books, such as preview chapters should be in spoiler tags.

Here's a video to pass your time while you wait for this episode:

• Love 1

No Tyrion for two episodes in a row.  What a strange age we’re living in.

Rory McCann is credited right after Sophie Turner in the opening credits now.  SanSan diehards will no doubt be thrilled.

Ian McShane was great as the version of the Elder Brother, but I really wish the writers of the show could imagine a good religious person who wasn’t a deist/borderline-agnostic.

Lovely depiction of Riverrun.  Man, the budget of this show compared to the first season is night and day.  And the Blackfish was great.

The Northern recruiting tour was interesting.  I like that they are taking the time for this sort of house-by-house politicking.  Though they are conspicuously not having the Northern lords ask why Jon isn’t in the Night’s Watch, and I’m pretty sure the reason is that the writers inadvertently omitted the explanation when they omitted Robb’s will.

• Love 11

Fuck you show. Bring back the Hound and then have the waif get all stabbity-stab with Arya.

Sansa has some egg on her face. I'm betting that raven she's sending is to Petyr.

Margery is definitely playing a long con...no clue what her note meant, but clearly Olenna was pleased with it.

Hi Blackfish! Good to see you, I'm sure you'll be gone again next episode.

No Tyrion again. No Dany.

But mostly just fuck you on trying to kill off my Arya.

• Love 5

I have whiplash.  I was literally on my feet doing the happy dance in my living room because Ian Motherfucking McShane was on my screen.  And then – Oh My God – Sandor “The Hound” Clegane is back!  And all that BEFORE the credits.  FABULOUS.

One hour later . . . Ian’s character is dead and Arya is gut stabbed, which in this universe should be fatal.

Well . . . shit.

• Love 22

OMG, the fucking Hound is ALIVE!!!! Didn’t see that coming at all.

I knew our Marge was still in there and playing the long con.

Damn, Leanna Mormont is a firecracker, a smarter ruler than any of the Starks were at Winterfell.  I’m glad she called Sansa out on the technicality of not being a Stark by name, lucky Rickon is still alive and Davos the voice of reason.

Wow, Braavos is tough, not a soul to help Arya.

What do the Brotherhood have against the free folk?  At least I’m guessing that’s who massacred them.

That episode was too short.

• Love 8

I was expecting the old lady to be the Waif, but I was not expecting the stabbing.  Interested to see how Arya gets out of this one.

Loved Lady Mormont, and loved Jon commanding his army. I suspect Sansa has written to LF to ask for the support of the Vale, which she had previously refused.

The Hound is MAD!! I bet he goes on a rampage.  Didn't like the BwoB attacking the smallfolk, big change from the books where they actually defend the little guy :-S

• Love 12

Gravedigger theory:  confirmed.  Sort of.  Septon pseudo-Meribald's sermon seemed more like an AA meeting.  I didn't really care for morphing the Brotherhood without Banners into basically the Brave Companions.  

I'm glad Marge isn't actually gone fanatic.  The drawing she gave the QoT was just a rose, right?  Their house symbol.  Was that just a way of saying "hey, I'm faking it, still here for real"?  I thought there would be more to her hidden note, like a suggestion of a plan or something.

Yara being gay seemed like an unnecessary plot, unless she's going to marry Dany.  Speaking of whom:  no Meereen nor Dothraki Sea scenes adn they weren't missed.

• Love 6
(edited)

I can't live in a world where the Waif bests Arya. Somebody get that Stark child to the local hospital or magician or something.

Hey Sandor, nice to see you alive. But how the hell did he not hear 30 some people being murdered?

House Stark trying to rally the vote. Loving Little Lady Mormont, that's one bad house.

Margery, good luck in that snakepit, you'll need it. 

Blackfish is awesome. Love that man.  And hey Bronn, missed your one liners.

Edited by dbell1
Spelling matters to the many faced God.
  • Love 18
(edited)

What the hell happened this week was boring as shit? This felt like an episode long introduction back to the Hound

Jon, Sansa just let Davos talk from now on. Watching you two trying to work diplomacy was just ugh.

Big up to Yara for getting Theon to stop being so pathetic. But you can't possibly talk about hiding when you're going the same place as Euron is.

They're stretching out this episode so long that Arya gets a two part fighting episode when it's clearly obvious she's not going to die.

Jamie's character got a whole lot more interesting. Just saying.

Margery's long game is intriguing. Cersei flailing around? Not so much.

More Lyanna, not only is she fierce, but she has no time for bullshit.

Edited by Oscirus
  • Love 8

Didn't like the BwoB attacking the smallfolk

I'm convinced that WASN"T the Brotherhood without Banners.  I think that random gangs of bad guys pretend to be the BwoB in order to get close enough to steal what they want.  I won't believe that was the real BwoB until I see Thoros or Ser Beric Dondarrian riding with them.

• Love 16
4 minutes ago, lmsweb said:

Sansa has some egg on her face. I'm betting that raven she's sending is to Petyr.

Definitely agree. I wonder what at what cost? What does she offer?

• Love 3
(edited)

I liked this episode a lot. Yeah it was all set up but it was good setup IMO. I liked seeing little Lady Mormont and Yara showing some tough love to Theon, Bronn reluctantly being a knight. Also glad I was right that Margaery is only pretending. When they opened with the cold open with Ian McShane building a little septon I wondered "What the hell is going on?" and then they showed the Hound and I was like "YES!" I really, really hope Arya kicks the Waif's ass.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 5
(edited)

The Hound is still alive, I know we didn't see him die we haven't seen in awhile so I just assumed he did. 

Go Queen of Thorns tell Cersi she's the idiot that gave the power to the High Sparrow in the first place. She's the reason they are all in this mess. I guess Margery's rose drawing was meant to show that she's growing strong and doesn't need her there. She wants her safe and with an army ready when they are needed. I hope Margery really takes down the High Sparrow, just for his remark that her duty is to serve her husband, it doesn't matter if she wants to or not. 

I can't wait for Yara to get to Mereen, even though it will be "Mother of Dragons we still need ships and people to sail those ships, Oh look ships with experienced sailors.". I'm all for whatever gets Dany finally over to Westeros. 

Lady Mormont is fierce. She seems to be a better ruler than the Stark children. 

Did Arya really think they would just let her go? I guess she didn't get the memo of the only way you leave the Facemen is by death. That should've been obvious. I hope she finds a way to Mereen instead. 

I hope Sansa isn't doing something stupid. She's still naive if she thinks that every house will just follow her name. She had no idea what's happening. Her title means nothing to people that have died for a lost cause before. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 6
(edited)

Loved Lady Mormont! That little girl was awesome. As for the rest of the tour, well ...

Love/hate on Olenna baiting Cersei. Fun to watch, but Cersei's almost always going to get her payback. I do hope Olenna gets out of town before whatever is coming, comes.

Marg not sleeping with Tommen? Hmmmm.

Love the Blackfish, and hope we get some entertaining developments out of all this.

Septon Swearengine: aw, geez, what a waste. Ian McShane is so fantastic, and it seems like giving him so much screen time to wax McShane-ic is a candy cane, when I wanted steak. But welcome back, Clegane!

Theon, the other broken man ... we'll see.

I can't imagine how Arya is going to do all the things previews have her doing next week, while nursing a slash in her tummy. Maybe it wasn't that deep a slash.

And right now, if she wants Thoros & Eric back on her list, that's okay with me.

Edited by FemmyV
  • Love 2
(edited)

I'm not sure I was a fan of the cold open. I'm used to GoT not being like other shows in that respect, it seemed a little out of place.

Other than that, over too quick but I think a VAST improvement over last week. Huzzah for Lady Mormont and Ian McShane doing...anything.

**ETA: seeing Olenna hand Cersei her own ass was about 6 seasons too late but I still liked it.

Edited by sumiregusa
  • Love 9

I have to say - I see people post here and in other places about them dragging out story lines. I'm of the opposite opinion - I feel like they are working FAST to wrap up or tie in relevant story lines with one another this season. Compared to how little happened, really, in season 1, I think the writers have done an amazing job considering the vast number of people and stories they have to merge into something coherent that can be covered in 10 x 1 hour sessions.

• Love 17

Too short. Wanted more.

glad the Hound is back but not unexpected. The Blackfish was hilarious. Besting Jaime in the verbal duel.

i must say...Ian McShane has a fabulous head of hair. Lol

• Love 6
(edited)

This episode was awfully short..only 53 minutes. I always love when there is a new location in the credits. Have we ever seen Riverrun before? 

I wonder where Arya thinks she is going to get help. Braavos always seems very business oriented and not big on compassion. The only "friends" Arya has there are at the House of Black and White and she obviously can't go there. I was disappointed that she wasn't smart enough to avoid the Waif, knowing that she can disguise herself as anyone, and that she would be out for blood. 

I thought that maybe the old Hound was learning new tricks, but now he is back on his old hate filled path. If Arya survives Braavos, she had better watch out.

It's funny, I've thinking, "Go..Jaime..show 'em how it's done. But then I recall, he's actually the bad guy, and have to root for the Blackfish. Uh..go Blackfish?

Lady Mormont is a stitch. Such strong women this season. 

Edited by Jodithgrace
  • Love 2

The North doesn't remember, apparently. Sansa is right, they are screwed if they don't rustle up some more men. Having a 10 year-old throw "Lannister-Bolton" in her face was pretty ballsy of the writers since their poor storytelling saddled her with having to explain marrying Ramsay. I guess the North flaking on the Starks is a good explanation for why Sansa has to take back Littlefinger. The Starks are boned either way, so she might as well gamble on him. 

Blackfish was the MVP. The Hound was a bit of a letdown. 

• Love 2

All medieval armies feed by robbing the little people, sadly. The middle ages sucked, and all sensible people longed for the days when there was a real Roman Emperor to knock heads and keep order. But we don't know for sure that the BwB was responsible for the massacre. The guerrilla moves like a fish in the sea of peasants, actions like this would make the Brothers vulnerable to Frey counterattack. So, I suspect it was someone else? But the Hound is on the warpath now. The Hound!

Which is awesome. I love that SOB.

We all know that Sansa wrote to Littlefinger. Dammit.

Lady Mormont rules! Now I want a scene with her and Crazy Uncle Jorah. Please?

I guess Arya's booking a ride back to Westeros. Last week I would have been excited. Now? I want her to join the Iron Fleet. I hope her ship gets raided.

Although if she returns to the Riverlands, she could record another album with the Hound.

The Hound lives, and is pissed off, and has an axe. I am so grateful for this storyline I am speechless. I could watch the show where the Hound wanders the countryside whacking knights and hunting the elusive one armed man Thoros of Myr for years. I'd be there every week, appointment viewing.

This season is awesome.

• Love 17
6 minutes ago, CofCinci said:

Definitely agree. I wonder what at what cost? What does she offer?

Littlefinger didn't ask for anything before, so I don't think she would be offering anything now.

So no broken man speech? Why even cast Ian McShane then? It's a toss up on whos talents were wasted more, him or Von Sydow. And no stump line from the Blackfish? Can we put the Riverlands to rest like Dorne, the preview with Jaime regressing even more as a character is icing on a shit cake.

And man that Northern loyalty is really showing. Maybe the scenes with the Glover's or Mormonts would have had more weight had they given those dead character more than a passing  cameo in season 1.

• Love 8
(edited)
5 minutes ago, SeanC said:

Littlefinger didn't ask for anything before, so I don't think she would be offering anything now.

We all know that a deal with Littlefinger is a deal with the devil.

Also, I must say, the Waif is the worst assassin ever. She had the drop on Arya and only managed to give her non fatal stomach wounds?

Edited by Oscirus
  • Love 5

The minute I saw the Hound I was yelling "fuck yeah!".  Scared my poor cat.  But oh Rory how I missed you!

Ian McShane was absolutely perfect in the role.  So sad to lose him so quickly.

Don't think it was the BwB who slaughtered everyone but the Lannister's-yet another reason for the upcoming Clegane bowl.

• Love 5

Ian McShane needs to be in every show, ever.  I adore that man. 

Little Lady Mormont was awesome.  Smart and strong.  And Ser Davos was the perfect person to treat with her.  Sansa is learning a hard lesson about the status of House Stark.  And Jon Snow is learning being earnest isn't always the way to convice people.  

I knew the Hound would be back eventually.  

And yay Jamie is away from Cersei.  Speaking of Cersei was anyone half expecting her to have the Mountain just kill the Queen of Thorns on the spot?  

• Love 7

I'd gladly take a Lyanna Mormont spin-off than a Dunc and Egg one.  I'm surprised that the waif didn't use poison on her knife.  Poor Tommen, not only does he have blue balls but everyone around him are trying their best to manipulate him; at least he has Ser Pounce. 

• Love 2

Really good episode and definitely picked up a lot from last week.

The beginning felt like an entirely different show (not in a bad way).  It was such a nice scene so of course it was going to end badly.  Welcome back Hound!  He was great and so was Ian MacShane, who looks like an older Oscar Isaac.  His speech was good but nowhere near as good as the book speech.

So much for The North Remembers.  God, they suck.  Here’s hoping the Manderlys redeem them but the writers have dropped the ball on The North Remembers in the biggest of ways.

But I did enjoying seeing them all on the recruiting trailer and Lyanna Mormont was a fun character.  Davos definitely needs to be the mouthpiece for Jon and Sansa.  Sansa shouldn’t be complaining about trusting Davos when she’s going to Littlefinger for help.  Ugh.  I really hope she tells Jon about this.

Wun Wun!  I’m glad he’s heading down North.

Definitely a strong episode for Jaime and I greatly enjoyed his parlay with the Blackfish.  So nice having Bronn back too.  “That’s like saying I have the biggest cock in the Unsullied army.”  Never change, buddy.

I’m glad Magarey is playing the High Sparrow.  Diana Rigg was terrific as always.  I’m surprised Cersei let Olenna live.  I always enjoy Olenna tearing her down.

I knew the Waif was that old woman but I jumped back when she stabbed Arya.

• Love 12
Just now, Oscirus said:

We all know that a deal with Littlefinger is a deal with the devil.

Well, yeah, but he doesn't charge upfront.  The "cost" is letting him back into her life, basically.

• Love 3

I just had a horrible thought - the Sparrow is smirking all through his part in this episode. Then the scene with Cersei with Frankengregor behind her, and the talk with Olenna about Loras.

What if the Sparrow offers Loras the chance to prove himself in the eyes of the Seven by appointing him their combatant in Cersei's trial? Loras and the Mountain went at it way back in season 1, when Loras rode that mare that set off the Mountain's stallion and led to his horse getting it's poor head whacked off. Now THAT would bring things full circle, wouldn't it?

• Love 9
8 minutes ago, WatchrTina said:

I'm convinced that WASN"T the Brotherhood without Banners.  I think that random gangs of bad guys pretend to be the BwoB in order to get close enough to steal what they want.  I won't believe that was the real BwoB until I see Thoros or Ser Beric Dondarrian riding with them.

Could be true, but one of the bad guys was wearing a yellow cloak.  I took that to be the show's nod to Lem Lemoncloak.

6 minutes ago, Sakura12 said:

o Queen of Thorns tell Cersi she's the idiot that gave the power to the High Sparrow in the first place.

That was a nice call-back to Cercei's scene with the QoT last season with their roles reversed.  I'm guessing Olenna isn't going to go quietly.  My fear is she's headed to Dorne to get their help which will mean that bad story isn't going away.

6 minutes ago, Jodithgrace said:

he only "friends" Arya has there are at the House of Black and White and she obviously can't go there.

Lady Crane perhaps.

• Love 2
Just now, Eyes High said:

Loved this:

Yara: I know you've had some bad years.

Theon: BAD YEARS?!

Heheh.  That was gold.

I forgot to add but I really enjoyed the Yara/Theon interaction once again and Alfie Allen proves, once again, that he's one of the best performers on this show.

• Love 10
(edited)

I think I want to make my daughters watch Lady Mormonts scene so they can learn how to be BAMFs

do you think Arya will run into Syrio Forel?

Love the Blackfish!

Fucking High Sparroww is so dirty and gross, I can't stand him.  And I realized tonight how much I love Margaery...she is playing the game but she's decent. In fact I love how the Tyrell women are the major players in their family, and the relationship Marg and Olenna have.

Edited by Paws
  • Love 9
(edited)

Sadly, I think the writers have botched two of the best storylines in the books.  Jaime's redemption arc and The North Remembers.  The broken Theon storyline is working solely on the performance of Alfie Allen.

Edited by benteen
  • Love 20

So D&D half-ass the Northern storyline again to make Ramsey look overwhelming, Jon and Sansa utter dopes who need help with everything, and Littlefinger smarter than everyone else. Anybody surprised? 

It's funny, I did think this was the best start to a season in the show's history but now the old disappointment's rushing in again. I just want them to get to the action already. The show does spectacle well and it does a lot to save the writing. 

• Love 2

Didn't expect this to be the Hound's return episode but it was nice to see him.

Ian McShane is always awesome no matter what role he's playing.

I love Margarey.  I love that she convinced Olenna to leave and I'm sure her drawing means "I'm a Rose now and forever" or something to that effect.  I'm sure this will all bite her in the ass as Septa Shame picked up on Olenna's abrupt change of heart but it's fun to watch.

Since Arya was able to swim and then walk I'm guessing her wounds will heal with no lasting effect.  The problem is that she needs to treat them first and that may prove difficult. 

The Blackfish has no fucks left to give and I love it.  I want him to ride to help Jon and Sansa but I can't see that happening with the Lannisters setting up camp.  Since Bronn brought it up I'm wondering if the Lannisters win this stand off and he get Riverrun as his prize?  I hope not but we'll see.

I LOVE LYANNA MORMONT!!!!!!  I want her in every episode for the remainder of the series and then to go on and be an adult version of the badass ruler she already is.  I wonder if she's supposed to reflect her namesake in personality?  If so, then this is much more effective than that one flashback Bran had.  If Lyanna Stark is half as awesome as Lyanna Mormont then it's no wonder that a war was fought over her.

It's weird but I actually love how much trouble Sansa and Jon are having gathering support.  She's a woman and he's a bastard.  OF COURSE they'd have a hard time.  That's only going to make their victory all the sweeter (speculation not spoiler).  I agree that Sansa wrote to Littlefinger but she's right about them needing more men.  It doesn't mean she's back on Team Baelish just that she wants to win the coming fight.

• Love 17

Lady Mormont is my new favorite. She was also perfectly casted.The actress has such a powerful presence. Seriously, all the other child rulers on the show should take notes from her. What a badass!

I love Blackfish. I honestly love the fact he gives no fucks about anything but standing tall until the end. I love his "I am disappointed" parting line to Jaime too. 

Jon Snow and Sansa should let Davos talk for them from now on. Seriously, why did they even talk the second time? 

I was spoiled for The Hound coming back but it didn't stop me from being happy to see him onscreen and finally return to his old ways in the end. 

I guess Yara and Theon went through that Game of Thrones portal that speeds up time. Next episode, I expect them to be with Danny. 

Arya made me tearful with joy when she was booking a passage home but then I knew I couldn't have a nice things in GoT when the waif started stabbing her. I hope Gendry finds her and heals her back to life. I also hope she becomes strong enough to fuck that waif up. She is overdue for some ass kicking. 

• Love 9
9 minutes ago, WatchrTina said:

I have whiplash.  I was literally on my feet doing the happy dance in my living room because Ian Motherfucking McShane was on my screen.  And then – Oh My God – Sandor “The Hound” Clegane is back!  And all that BEFORE the credits.  FABULOUS.

One hour later . . . Ian’s character is dead and Arya is gut stabbed, which in this universe should be fatal.

Well . . . shit.

YES!!!   Me too!  I was just telling my brother After the last week's return of the "nuncles' that I still held out hope for The Hound.  I have always had a soft spot for him.  I guess it's my thing for underdogs.  (Yeah, yeah, I know!)

I stood up and shrieked twice--once at seeing Ian McShane and then upon seeing Rory.  McShane will always be Al Swearengen to me, so I was half expecting him to call those Brotherhood riders "c**********" before they disappeared.  I don't remember Elder Brother from the books and was bummed that this character only lasted one episode.

House Mormont is really pretty badass.  Little Lady Lyanna made quite an impression!  

I also love a fierce Jaime and am thrilled to see him at Riverrun (and hearing the word "trebuchet" was a big plus as well!). Just keep him the "F" away from Cersei.  While you're at it, keep Olenna away from her!   Margaery seems to be playing her cards well so far.  

While I saw Bronn in last week's preview, I was no less pleased to see his cocky stride and hear his delightful snark.  

Theon appears to be on his way back.  Awesome actor, that Alfie!  

The locations, sets and CGI are certainly breathtaking this season.  This episode felt satisfying for many reasons though still set up a great deal of tension.  

These broken men broke my heart, and I am glad we will see more of them!

• Love 3
(edited)

One thing I remember from the book is that there is a temple to every religion in Braavos.  I wonder if Arya is going to find her way to the Lord of Light's temple and some priestess is going to look in the flames and determine that this unknown girl needs a dose of some hands-on resurrection reiki pronto.

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 5
3 minutes ago, benteen said:

Sadly, I think the writers have botched two of the best storylines in the books.  Jaime's redemption arc and The North Remembers.  The broken Theon storyline is working solely on the performance of Alfie Allen.

It's sad to say but considering everything that came from it, I wish they had just killed Theon off at the end of season two and spent that screen time elsewhere. Even with the Ironborne bringing over Dany, the story could be done just with Yara. Just an absolute fail of a storyline. 

One of my favorite chapters is the Riverrun parlay. And the thing is, the show did it well (can we talk about how the show's version of Riverrun is straight out of my mind's eye?)...but...(you knew there was a but coming, right?) show Jaime doesn't have the same desperation to this meeting, and it's lacking ALL of his growth and subtext. 

Alas, the Blackfish was amazing, and the dialogue was all there. Still. I suppose I should just accept this alternate version of Jaime. (Spoiler alert: I won't.) I AM happy we got it on screen. Just...sigh. I feel weird complaining about it, but I will lament for what could have been. 

• Love 13