Type keyword(s) to search

Flip Or Flop - General Discussion

• Start Topic

38 minutes ago, Finagler said:

I wish they would revisit some of these houses to show us what the homeowners changed after they've lived in it for a while.  That black and white tile would have been the first thing to go.

ugly.

The thing is, I don't think they give a flip anymore about these houses. Yes, they want to make money and keep their reputations intact, but they must hate working together and making nice for the cameras. That's probably why they say, 'yeah, whatever' to each other's design suggestions. Or if they do protest, it sounds perfunctory. 

On 7/16/2017 at 7:32 PM, answerphone said:

I don't believe for a minute the majority of buyers would choose her wacky, bold designs. Everyone has their own taste and I'd guess there's plenty of negative comments, but they're not televised. For their company to have been successful, they would have a few stock favorites they usually choose from; white cabinets, dark cabinets, ditto the flooring, and light, medium and dark granite.  All of them in stock and ready to go. They wouldn't be wasting time going to building supply stores, sometimes with two young kids, if they're on a strict time line and doing multiple flips at once. It's all for TV. 

At last, a voice of reason.  She wouldn't be doing ANY shopping or designing for ANY flips, unless it's one chosen for filming.  They have a large staff who handles all of that stuff.  I would even go so far as to say that at this point they aren't even choosing which homes to buy anymore.

• Love 3
On 7/18/2017 at 4:00 PM, doodlebug said:

T&C do offer all cash and a quick close on properties.  If a seller is interested in getting their money ASAP, calling someone like T&C who've been around long enough to have a rep for reliability, could well make sense rather than waiting for an offer, having the buyer have to work to get financing and running the risk of the whole thing falling apart and having to start all over again.

Yeah, in some of the episodes you can see a big banner on the dumpster saying they buy houses.

(edited)
On 7/26/2017 at 2:52 PM, topanga said:

So is that it? No new episodes? 

We've caught up with everything in the can and got past the divorce episodes.  They are currently filming new episodes that'll probably air around October to January.  I think this is the last season from their previous renewal.  Unless Tarek or Christina want to quit, I think they'll get another two to three season renewal.

Edited by saylubee
  • Love 1

Did anyone else happen to see a pilot today(8/6) called Chi-Town Flip? Of course it was a husband and wife team renovating in Chicago. I liked the husband, the wife not so much...way too many teeth. She even rivaled Giada from the Food Network! What was interesting about this pilot was who two of the  Executive Producers were...Tarek and Christina. My recording cut off before I could see the date it was filmed. Oh, the renovation was pretty good..nice looking house at the end.

holey moley that is a lot of teeth if she gave GIADA a run for the money!!   according to the nat inquirer...christina wants butt implants/lift......take with a grain of salt

Edited by sue450
  • Love 1
On 7/16/2017 at 10:46 PM, Oldernowiser said:

I only recently started watching HGTV again after several years...where are all these women learning to talk??? The vocabulary consists of design catch phrases strung together with "totally," "literally," and "like" used interchangeably. Then the voice itself...nails, meet chalkboard.

They spend a fortune on hair and makeup...they can't spring for a few sessions with a vocal coach? 

I had to turn it off, totally, and like, literally.

That and "100%"

• Love 3
On 7/16/2017 at 8:46 PM, Oldernowiser said:

I only recently started watching HGTV again after several years...where are all these women learning to talk??? The vocabulary consists of design catch phrases strung together with "totally," "literally," and "like" used interchangeably. Then the voice itself...nails, meet chalkboard.

They spend a fortune on hair and makeup...they can't spring for a few sessions with a vocal coach? 

I had to turn it off, totally, and like, literally.

And Tarek and Christina only know one description word. "Awesome". ? I just can't listen to that, along with her 'nails on the chalkboard' voice.

• Love 1
On 28/07/2017 at 11:02 PM, saylubee said:

They are currently filming new episodes that'll probably air around October to January.  

I was wondering about them.  So they are actually doing new episodes.  Why would anyone want to watch them, knowing all about their personal lives?  I was hoping that "Masters of Flip" would be on these forums - at least they seem to like each other.  I find though, that I am getting tired of their staging - same old, same old.

• Love 1

Christina was on Access Hollywood Live today. She was partly promoting her sunglasses line. Apparently, the sunglass company saw her wearing their glasses and amazingly (not really) she's become their spokesperson. Anyway, she said they've filmed 5 episodes for Season 7 and have been contracted for 15 more. Overall, she was pleasant enough and discussed a new Flipping show they are producing. It's a couple with 2 kids flipping housesin Chicago. The $$$$$$$$ is rolling in. LOL!!!

4 hours ago, ByaNose said:

Christina was on Access Hollywood Live today. She was partly promoting her sunglasses line. Apparently, the sunglass company saw her wearing their glasses and amazingly (not really) she's become their spokesperson. Anyway, she said they've filmed 5 episodes for Season 7 and have been contracted for 15 more. Overall, she was pleasant enough and discussed a new Flipping show they are producing. It's a couple with 2 kids flipping housesin Chicago. The $$$$$$$$ is rolling in. LOL!!!

Does the world really need another flipping show? Jeez.

• Love 1
29 minutes ago, topanga said:

Does the world really need another flipping show? Jeez.

Yeah, HGTV should just be called HGTV: Flipping. Gone are the days of one room being remodeled (Sarah Richardson or Candice Olson) or even just being remodeled to sell (Sabrina Soto or Clive Pearce). Also, the couple angle has been played to death.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, ByaNose said:

Yeah, HGTV should just be called HGTV: Flipping. Gone are the days of one room being remodeled (Sarah Richardson or Candice Olson) or even just being remodeled to sell (Sabrina Soto or Clive Pearce). Also, the couple angle has been played to death.

I enjoyed some of the competition shows they used to do ("Design Star") or some such, or where a designer comes and does a "makeover" of a lived in home (not remodeling, just design, paint, furniture, etc.) Those days are long gone. 

• Love 2

I just watched a couple of the original T&C flipping shows.  One where they'd gone all out on the backyard, which didn't sell by the end of the show.  Next one they get an offer some high end property, Tarek underestimated the renovation costs by at least 100k.  Nothing major found, just upgrades needed in order to get top dollar.  No offer by the end of the show.  They had some master bedroom built (had to have a bedroom with an en suite) but the closet built wasn't wide enough to hold a hanger.  Thanks, producers for that one.  Like no seasoned contractor would know what the minimum dimension would be for a closet to hold a hanger?  And he was doing a reno in the same neighborhood.   Next one, flipper had home gutted but couldn't afford the reno.  House was in Laguna Beach, I think.  You could see the ocean, they made a huge deal about that, but you also faced a very busy roadway (beach was on other side of roadway).  Christina had to have some blue green tile (some pattern, not sure if you'd call it chevron) then decided she didn't like whatever.  Blue green was to make it feel more beachy.  You're at the beach.  Leave it all white and light and let the owners add accessories with color or they can redo.  That one also, no sale by the end of the show.

Totally agree about how they'd use the same cabinets, etc.  Use the normal white or dark cabinets.  Same for flooring.  Keep it nice and neutral.

Now one home in wherever, but seller said home hadn't been touched since 1940.  Ok, so it's a dump.  Tarek asked Christina before he committed to buying it.  She agreed.  Of course, she did nothing but bitch about it as they walked through the house.  Ewww it's so old and dated.  No shit, Sherlock.    This actual home, they sold.

Christina seems a bit too high maintenance and snobby to me.  I've not noticed it as much with the other female flippers. 

I'll watch this if there's really not much else on tv; it's become such a formula - white cabinets/dark floors or vice versa, granite or marble whatever, now adding reclaimed wood as one of their staples.  And let's tear down these walls.  Really pains me when there's interesting arches or woodwork and they just gut it.   Sometimes yes, they have to with teeny rooms, but it's always tearing out walls.  Sigh.   

Do any of these folks have a background in design?  

On 9/3/2017 at 10:03 PM, Maharincess said:
On 9/3/2017 at 7:23 PM, answerphone said:

And Tarek and Christina only know one description word. "Awesome". ? I just can't listen to that, along with her 'nails on the chalkboard' voice.

She also uses "cool" and "amazing" way too much. 

Obsessed, too.  "I'm totally obsessed with these cabinets".  "The buyers will be obsessed with it".  UGH.

• Love 2

There is something weird going on. The OG Flip or Flop with Tarek and Christina should have been back by now but HGTV seems to have shelved it indefinitely. We were told they shot an entire season and had been picked up for another last summer, and we were supposed to get new episodes in December, but it's April now and they've gone back to the Vegas couple. 

They're still showing reruns of the T&C episodes but why are they sitting on the new season they filmed? Maybe the network feels like the show just doesn't work anymore with T&C divorced. Which is weird because the Nashville flippers were divorced as well. 

20 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I don't think it was the divorce - the Nashville flippers were already divorced when their show started.

Actually, the Nashville flippers were never married. If you look closer, they dated for about five years, decided they didn't work romantically, but managed to stay friends and work together.

I really liked them as hosts and am glad their show got renewed.

• Love 1
On 4/23/2018 at 12:31 PM, iMonrey said:

There is something weird going on. The OG Flip or Flop with Tarek and Christina should have been back by now but HGTV seems to have shelved it indefinitely. We were told they shot an entire season and had been picked up for another last summer, and we were supposed to get new episodes in December, but it's April now and they've gone back to the Vegas couple. 

They're still showing reruns of the T&C episodes but why are they sitting on the new season they filmed? Maybe the network feels like the show just doesn't work anymore with T&C divorced. Which is weird because the Nashville flippers were divorced as well. 

Tarek’s been advertising filmed open houses for season 7 as late as a few days ago on his FB and everything has been rebranded solely in Tarek’s name.  Christina has made no mention of Tarek or Flip or Flop on her page in a long time.  I have to think she’s no longer part of the show and everything had to be reshot with only Tarek.  Could explain the delay.

• Love 1
(edited)
12 minutes ago, saylubee said:

Tarek’s been advertising filmed open houses for season 7 as late as a few days ago on his FB and everything has been rebranded solely in Tarek’s name.  Christina has made no mention of Tarek or Flip or Flop on her page in a long time.  I have to think she’s no longer part of the show and everything had to be reshot with only Tarek.  Could explain the delay.

HGTV had just a commercial on Flip or Flop it said either if I remember correctly either middle of May or June it'll be back

Edited by Rabbittron
2 minutes ago, Rabbittron said:

HGTV had just a commercial on Flip or Flop it said either if I remember correctly either middle of May or June it'll be back

Was Christina in it or was it just a commercial with the logo?

(edited)
10 minutes ago, Rabbittron said:

It was both of them and you could tell how they hated each other and it said May 31st

Commercial during tonight's Vegas edition, complete with tabloid headlines about the divorce and with clips of T&C bickering and talking about how they need to get along and work together to save their business.  So, it looks like they're not just bringing the show back but exploiting their now long ago divorce for ratings.  Their poor kids.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 4

After announcing their split in December 2016, the real estate experts, wed for seven years, signed on for another season of HGTV’s Flip or Flop. Now, with their January divorce behind them, they’re back with 15 new episodes.

“It’s all new territory,” Christina, 34, said in a press release. “Since we have to see each other every day, it’s beyond awkward. I’m planning on staying friendly and keeping things light.”

The insider notes that fans will not see Christina and Tarek, 39, “at each other’s throats,” but “tension” between the pair will be evident, including a moment when Christina walks off set and when Tarek gets irritated by his ex’s words. Adds the pal, the upcoming season “will definitely shed more light on their relationship and be more interesting.”

Flip or Flop returns to HGTV Thursday, May 31, at 9 p.m. ET.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/‘flip-or-flop’-will-show-‘tension’-between-tarek-and-christina-el-moussa-in-new-season/ar-AAx18cc?li=BBnb7Kz

14 hours ago, topanga said:

I don’t want this show to turn into reality TV. If the focus is more on their drama than the actual flips, that’ll be a big turn-off. 

Oh nooo.....I don't want to see that either. From everything that I read about their issues......something is not right with either one of them.  Exposing more of that to the public, might not serve them well. 

• Love 3
On 5/3/2018 at 6:46 PM, doodlebug said:

Commercial during tonight's Vegas edition, complete with tabloid headlines about the divorce and with clips of T&C bickering and talking about how they need to get along and work together to save their business.  So, it looks like they're not just bringing the show back but exploiting their now long ago divorce for ratings.  Their poor kids.

Could not agree more. I think this is completely tacky and inappropriate. Shame on Tarek and Christina for agreeing to it and shame in HGTV for making it happen.

• Love 3

Shame on Tarek and Christina for agreeing to it and shame in HGTV for making it happen.

Tarek and Christina are responsible for Flip or Flop, and if they can continue the business together, good for them. They'll be a nice break from the absurdity of the Las Vegas homes. I'd rather see the Fort Worth couple, though. If there's any shame to be had, maybe it's shame on the people who will tune in just to scrutinize and analyze (and probably come here to comment on) Tarek and Christina and their relationship. 

• Love 4
11 hours ago, jcbrown said:
On ‎5‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 6:46 PM, doodlebug said:

tabloid headlines about the divorce and with clips of T&C bickering and talking about how they need to get along and work together to save their business.  So, it looks like they're not just bringing the show back but exploiting their now long ago divorce for ratings.  

Could not agree more. I think this is completely tacky and inappropriate. Shame on Tarek and Christina for agreeing to it and shame in HGTV for making it happen.

But let's face, people are curious. Didn't PTV'ers talk about their relationship (or lack thereof) in previous threads? IMO, HGTV is giving the viewers what they're all curious about. And if it's good enough for the "housewives" it's good enough for ForF.  They're both scripted, no matter how you look at it.

• Love 1

But let's face, people are curious.

Yeah, people are rubber neckers. We live in an age where nobodies garner media attention and pop culture seeps into what was once a fairly serious business of casting the news. Exposing other people's lives and business is an extremely large portion of TV entertainment. 

You're right, HGTV is giving people what they want. Even people who think the reboot of the original Flip or Flop is unseemly will still tune in. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, mojito said:

Yeah, people are rubber neckers. We live in an age where nobodies garner media attention and pop culture seeps into what was once a fairly serious business of casting the news. Exposing other people's lives and business is an extremely large portion of TV entertainment. 

You're right, HGTV is giving people what they want. Even people who think the reboot of the original Flip or Flop is unseemly will still tune in. 

Yep, there's a market for it; I just feel sorry for T&C's kids that their parents are so fame hungry that they agreed to participate.

• Love 3

So it's been what, two years since the big fight and break-up?  Tarek and Christina have decided to continue working together on FoF.  So I think any "tension" between them on the show will be made up drama/scripted (Christina says "truce?" in the commercial).  We shall see.

• Love 3

I figure (hope) that they address it in the start of the first episode, call the “truce,” and just move on. I’d prefer that they don’t address it at all—just move forward as partners who are no longer married—but then people would say they were fake and inauthentic or something.

I maintain my position that Nashville/Page and Duron (sp) was all about testing the waters.

I hope they’ll also include a moment or dedication for Frank. I still get a bit misty when I happen upon one of his episodes.

Their new season and this board will give me somewhere to unleash my urge to snark.

I figured it would turn into a semi-reality show. 

Stop pretending to be surprised if an unattended pool turn green with algae and is littered with leaves. Duh!

I never like her busy tile designs and backsplashes. And open shelving in a small kitchen is a waste of valuable space.

They always obsess over the shampoo holder in the shower. Does that really matter?

It's uncomfortable watching them bicker and squabble!

• Love 6

If we didn't know any better, it almost sounded as if Christina was jealous (i.e. How much did that <date> cost you? Are you going on another date?) 

Like what's it to you, Chrissy?!?  Grow up and shut up!

Side note: I'm sure it was all for the camera (she practically put her face it in at one point!), but there had to be a more "adult" way of addressing their new business relationship.

• Love 1