Type keyword(s) to search

Flip Or Flop - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I can see why, in the first episode, they went into the divorce stuff, but now that we all know, I wish they'd change the open and stop the sniping. Just remodel the houses. I still like the end result, although I wasn't too keen on the "denim" tile last night. I can't believe Christina pays for that hairstyle.

• Love 4

I can't believe Christina pays for that hairstyle.

Or can't use the damn curling iron by herself. WTF?

I can see why, in the first episode, they went into the divorce stuff, but now that we all know, I wish they'd change the open and stop the sniping. 

Unfortunately, HGTV has decided this is going to be their new "hook." All the promo spots for this show are focused on their divorce and the tension between them.

I did love how they opened up the living space to the permitted add-on - it made the open concept HUGE. And they were right, the ceilings were awesome. I'd love to have sloping ceilings like that (I never use my attic for anything anyway). 

1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

Or can't use the damn curling iron by herself. WTF?

Unfortunately, HGTV has decided this is going to be their new "hook." All the promo spots for this show are focused on their divorce and the tension between them.

I did love how they opened up the living space to the permitted add-on - it made the open concept HUGE. And they were right, the ceilings were awesome. I'd love to have sloping ceilings like that (I never use my attic for anything anyway). 

And, they didn’t have a chyron saying who the “hairstylist” was. Her bff? Maid? Actor for hire? Also, can’t Christina curl her own hair/extensions? 

• Love 1

Luckily Tivo recorded it as a suggestion. Now I see why everyone is complaining. Definitely not a Flip or Flop episode. Felt more like something you would see on Bravo or E! 

It's worked on my wife though. She is totally into the divorce drama and thinks it was Christina who broke it off and that he still loves her, blah blah blah. This episode all she saw was Tarek complaining about Christina. What I saw was the producers feeding Tarek lines so that they could use that as a segue to show montages of past episodes.

I don't know what the ratings are showing. My hope is that they are down on any episode punched up with scripted drama.

Side note, their old house looks quite nice. Beautiful front and the backyard looks incredible. The bathroom where she was getting her hair styled looked old and dated though.   

9 hours ago, ByaNose said:

Also, can’t Christina curl her own hair/extensions? 

Agreed. Either she's too damn lazy or she's turning into a HUGE diva. My guess is both. Ugh.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, lynxfx said:

The bathroom where she was getting her hair styled looked old and dated though.   

LOL

For a minute, I thought I was on the "House Hunters" forum.

19 hours ago, 3 is enough said:

Poor Izzy.  He looked so uncomfortable.  I bet he is sorry he signed on for this mess.  

Izzy is the best part of this show. 

Actually, if Izzy is good at design...they need to make the show all about him.

Flip or Flop....Izzy style.

I still don't understand the $500 wall paper for one wall. In the sample piece you could see the pattern. They wall paper the entire wall and can't see the pattern.

Wouldn't they have noticed the pattern didn't show up before they started?

I think it was all fake and they just did something with the lighting.

• Love 2

I imagine their own home is well over the million dollar mark. Those houses aren't going to get multiple bids over list price. It's the "cheaper" real estate people are fighting for in SoCal. 

• Love 1

This just in on her spinoff show:

She's got a new man in her life following her divorce from her Flip Or Flop co-star ex Tarek El Moussa.

And Christina El Moussa flaunted her romance with Ant Anstead on Wednesday as the pair kissed passionately in New York City on their way to a taping of Good Morning America.

The 34-year-old was appearing on the show to talk about her new house-flipping TV series, Christina On The Coast. 

3 minutes ago, TheGreenWave said:

This just in on her spinoff show:

She's got a new man in her life following her divorce from her Flip Or Flop co-star ex Tarek El Moussa.

And Christina El Moussa flaunted her romance with Ant Anstead on Wednesday as the pair kissed passionately in New York City on their way to a taping of Good Morning America.

The 34-year-old was appearing on the show to talk about her new house-flipping TV series, Christina On The Coast. 

It looks like all the divorce drama on the current show is there to help launch the new show.  I suspect that, by season's end, Christina and Tarek will decide to part ways in the business world; so she can move on to her own show.

Christina's new show will be about her new business: designing homes, AKA '50 Shades Grayer'.  She says her new mission is to transform outdated rooms into 'high end showplaces'.  And, wonder of wonders; the new show will include details of Christina's personal life including her search for a new home now that she is selling her marital home.  Her new boyfriend, the aforementioned, Ant, is also going to play a role in the new show.  She will also be seen 'balancing parenthood, career, and a new relationship'; so she's back to exploiting her kids for a buck, too.

https://www.eonline.com/news/947437/christina-el-moussa-getting-her-own-hgtv-series-christina-on-the-coast

• Love 2
17 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

And, wonder of wonders; the new show will include details of Christina's personal life including her search for a new home now that she is selling her marital home.  Her new boyfriend, the aforementioned, Ant, is also going to play a role in the new show.  She will also be seen 'balancing parenthood, career, and a new relationship'; so she's back to exploiting her kids for a buck, too.

Gross.  Why does HGTV think we care about her personal life?  Is she the only HGTV personality that engages in this over-the-top style of self-promotion on other TV programs?  She's on GMA, she was on Hollywood Medium.  She also had paps following her and Ant on her UK vacation.   

• Love 4
(edited)

Christina said in her GMA interview today that her home, the marital home, closed two months ago She's buying a house in Newport Beach.

I like Tarek more than her.  Don't know if I'll watch this new show.

Edited by Sandiscot
  • Love 2
(edited)
32 minutes ago, TheGreenWave said:

Gross.  Why does HGTV think we care about her personal life?  Is she the only HGTV personality that engages in this over-the-top style of self-promotion on other TV programs?  She's on GMA, she was on Hollywood Medium.  She also had paps following her and Ant on her UK vacation.   

Nope, HGTV puts a lot of it's 'personalities' out there on other shows including the Property Brothers and Chip and Joanna.  They often do shows centering around their personal lives, too.  One of the Property Brothers got married recently and there were a whole series of shows surrounding the renovation of their home, planning for their wedding and the wedding itself. The Property Brother who got married also did a stint on Dancing with the Stars on ABC.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 4
5 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

Nope, HGTV puts a lot of it's 'personalities' out there on other shows including the Property Brothers and Chip and Joanna.  They often do shows centering around their personal lives, too.  One of the Property Brothers got married recently and there were a whole series of shows surrounding the renovation of their home, planning for their wedding and the wedding itself. The Property Brother who got married also did a stint on Dancing with the Stars on ABC.

totally forgot about those!!  Ugh. 

• Love 1

We've been watching a bunch of those and they are truly mind boggling. I don't know how many times I can watch someone flinch/jump/scream whenever they turn on a saw or use a nail gun. The timelines are also quite hilarious. 

Intro: We expect to finish in 7 weeks.
"8 months later"

They also tend to either not sell or are rented out.

This season, more of the flippers seem more adept/better-read/more talented than previous seasons, and they have been selling homes.

I was annoyed that the program stooped to showing Christina getting her hair curled. It's as though they're trying to appeal to people who lap up Entertainment Tonight, TMZ, National Enquirer, etc., not people interested in home renovations. Right, talking heads are just the thing. Now that they've confided in me, I feel so much closer to them. 

I would've liked the house grey with the green. I never would've chosen it, but I liked the look. 

Interesting that losing one member of a household makes the house too large now. I guess they have that fourth bedroom that's no longer being used. 

• Love 2

I always thought Tarek had more of the design skills & real estate knowledge. Christina would add her tile & counter suggestions but the bulk of the work was Tarek & the crew. IMO!!! Now, if she only had to design one or two rooms she might be able to swing it. That said, I doubt I’ll watch her show. Of the two, I always liked her the least. 

• Love 4
On ‎6‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 3:16 PM, Sandiscot said:

Christina said in her GMA interview today that her home, the marital home, closed two months ago

Anyone found the link to it?

This last episode: I actually preferred the original exterior. I really like the "storybook" cottage facade. They could have just re-tiled the whole roof instead of re-doing it to make sure there were no leaks or anything, then cleaned up the landscaping. Taking down the gables just made the front of the house boxy and boring. It looked like a modular home. 

And I don't really believe there were pigeons in there either. Somebody put those in for the show. Otherwise they would have showed us how they got in (open window, etc.). They never explained that.

• Love 1
56 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

And I don't really believe there were pigeons in there either. Somebody put those in for the show. Otherwise they would have showed us how they got in (open window, etc.). They never explained that.

They showed a broken screen on the door as where the pigeons got in. Doesn't mean they couldn't have staged it, but it was mentioned.

I liked the original facade as well. The landscaping just needed cleaned up and they could have maybe updated the awnings a bit and refurbished the rest.

At least no big divorce drama this episode. 

• Love 2

I thought the house looked better flipped. As usual, it was small with a big price tag. I think the roof line was too low before and needed to be redone. It made the whole front look slanted and small. I think it was a good call to trim it all back without changing the whole roof line. 

• Love 1
On 6/29/2018 at 9:23 AM, OnTime said:

Anyone found the link to it?

Here is the Redfin listing: https://www.redfin.com/CA/Yorba-Linda/19917-Trotter-Ln-92886/home/5925479

On 6/29/2018 at 12:19 PM, iMonrey said:

This last episode: I actually preferred the original exterior. I really like the "storybook" cottage facade. They could have just re-tiled the whole roof instead of re-doing it to make sure there were no leaks or anything, then cleaned up the landscaping. Taking down the gables just made the front of the house boxy and boring. It looked like a modular home. 

I agree, I wish they had just fixed up the original storybook look. I much preferred that. 

• Love 3

I always thought that Christina was so fake-the false teeth, the false eyelashes, the false selections in the tile store when she was trying to convince Tarik to buy more expensive tile because “buyers will be obsessed”.  Everything she said was so scripted, rehearsed, memorized and with a lisp. I won’t watch any show that she’s on or Tarek’s on. BLECH. Go away. 

• Love 1
48 minutes ago, Evangeline said:

Here is the Redfin listing: https://www.redfin.com/CA/Yorba-Linda/19917-Trotter-Ln-92886/home/5925479

I agree, I wish they had just fixed up the original storybook look. I much preferred that. 

I can see why Christina wanted to sell it, it is too big and too much work to clean it but it is a beautiful home but I did not really like the white and gray wall that goes up to the ceiling, that is too much 

• Love 1

I wonder how tareks sister feels now about buying that house so she and her kids would be living close to tarek and christina..Now they are divorced and Chrtistina is selling their house she got in the divorce to move a lot closer to where Tarek now lives to  make sharing the kids a lot easier

• Love 1

I can see why Christina wanted to sell it, it is too big and too much work to clean it but it is a beautiful home but I did not really like the white and gray wall that goes up to the ceiling, that is too much

Holy crap, the interior of their house looks like a mausoleum. It's floor to ceiling gray marble and it really looks like the inside of a crypt. The back yard is beautiful but the inside of that house would creep me out.

• Love 5
(edited)
31 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Holy crap, the interior of their house looks like a mausoleum. It's floor to ceiling gray marble and it really looks like the inside of a crypt. The back yard is beautiful but the inside of that house would creep me out.

It’s definitely decorated to Christina’s black/gray tastes.  I find it ridiculous that NOW Christina thinks 6000+ sf is too big for 3 people while it was apparently just right for 4. 

Someone upthread mentioned that Christina couldn’t keep a place that size clean by herself.  Firstly, people with the hair extensions, professional manicures and fake eyelashes Christina sports aren’t doing their own housework anyway. Second, a place that size, especially with two kids in residence,would’ve been too much for 2 adults with full time jobs to manage alone, even if Tarek and Christina wanted to do it.

And, if anyone thinks Christina’s new house isn’t at least 4000sf or that she’s actually doing her own housework there; I’ve got a bridge in Brooklyn for sale.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 5

I hope they at least called the gas company or fire department when they said that laundry room smelled like gas and not to light a match. Oh it’s ok, we’ll just walk away and let the whole neighborhood blow up. 

• Love 1

I don’t know why I like this show about two very boring people, but I do.  They just have good chemistry married or no.

Christina is no dumb blonde.  I shouldn’t like her, but I do.  And I like their designs.  Just add color.

the arguing part is forced.  Drop it and the show will be the same as before the divorce.  Don’t need to see their personal lives.   This is just a formula that works for whatever reason. 

• Love 6
On 6/22/2018 at 2:53 PM, iMonrey said:

All their shows are now about families and their drama. The Property Bros (one of them got married, yadda), the Fixer Upper people, the one where the lady had a baby. 

If I want reality tv about people, I'll go to TLC. I go to HGTV for Home and Garden TV.

On 6/27/2018 at 2:47 PM, doodlebug said:

The Property Brother who got married also did a stint on Dancing with the Stars on ABC

Oh yes, I forgot about that! He was SO BAD. And they even did a dance where his brother joined in. Awk. Ward. 

• Love 2
19 hours ago, Mu Shu said:

I don’t know why I like this show about two very boring people, but I do.  They just have good chemistry married or no.

Christina is no dumb blonde.  I shouldn’t like her, but I do.  And I like their designs.  Just add color.

the arguing part is forced.  Drop it and the show will be the same as before the divorce.  Don’t need to see their personal lives.   This is just a formula that works for whatever reason. 

I agree. I tried to get into the other Flip-Floppers, and I liked many of their flips more than T&C’s (especially Atlanta). But none of them drew me in like Tarek and Christina. Yeah, they drop the post-divorce drama. But I do still Like their chemistry as hosts. 

I do wonder how long they can keep it up. Is this the last season? It must be difficult to work with and film a TV show with your ex, someone you loathe. (Some divorced couples manage to be quite civil, even friendly, with another. But not these two). 

• Love 1
(edited)
17 minutes ago, topanga said:

I agree. I tried to get into the other Flip-Floppers, and I liked many of their flips more than T&C’s (especially Atlanta). But none of them drew me in like Tarek and Christina. Yeah, they drop the post-divorce drama. But I do still Like their chemistry as hosts. 

I do wonder how long they can keep it up. Is this the last season? It must be difficult to work with and film a TV show with your ex, someone you loathe. (Some divorced couples manage to be quite civil, even friendly, with another. But not these two). 

I think it is the last season because Christina is getting her own show next year, the other show who are exes who is both civil on the show and do not argue is Flip or Flop Nashville 

Edited by DVDFreaker
  • Love 2

I do wonder how long they can keep it up. Is this the last season?

Good question. Last spring (2017), one of them was quoted as saying they were filming a new season (the one we're watching now) and had been renewed for another one beyond that. HGTV sat on this season for a long time - it was originally supposed to air last fall. I don't know if they ever filmed another season beyond this one, or if they are still going to, or if they just dropped it and decided to give them each their own shows. 

• Love 1
On 7/1/2018 at 9:36 AM, doodlebug said:

It’s definitely decorated to Christina’s black/gray tastes.  I find it ridiculous that NOW Christina thinks 6000+ sf is too big for 3 people while it was apparently just right for 4. 

Someone upthread mentioned that Christina couldn’t keep a place that size clean by herself.  Firstly, people with the hair extensions, professional manicures and fake eyelashes Christina sports aren’t doing their own housework anyway. Second, a place that size, especially with two kids in residence,would’ve been too much for 2 adults with full time jobs to manage alone, even if Tarek and Christina wanted to do it.

And, if anyone thinks Christina’s new house isn’t at least 4000sf or that she’s actually doing her own housework there; I’ve got a bridge in Brooklyn for sale.

I don't see what's ridiculous.  First, double the space for double the number of adults makes sense to me if you can swing it (/half the space for half the number of adults).  Obviously it's not necessary, but nothing about that house was bought based on needs.  It's a luxury house.  Second, if Tarek ever has the kids overnight, that would be a very large home to be in by yourself on a regular basis.  Third, the unstated reason is she also changed what city she lived in, so the size was not the sole factor, but it's not at all surprising to me that it was a factor.  

• Love 1

I just think it's creepy and unnatural to have the floor, walls and ceilings all the same exact color and material. I wasn't exaggerating when it was floor to ceiling gray marble, and literally, that's the kind of thing you see in a mausoleum. Not a home. 

• Love 2

What was up with Christina's makeup in the last episode? 

The house turned out nice, but nothing super amazing. Can't believe Arcadia is now demanding over a mil for under 2000 sq/ft. 

• Love 1

Jeezum crow . . . $850K for that cracker box? and 1.1 million after it's fixed up? {headsmack} I simply  don't understand how anyone can afford to live in SoCal. Your mortgage would be like 10,000 a month. 

• Love 3
34 minutes ago, lynxfx said:

What was up with Christina's makeup in the last episode? 

The house turned out nice, but nothing super amazing. Can't believe Arcadia is now demanding over a mil for under 2000 sq/ft. 

It looked like she applied her makeup with a trowel.  Another episode that makes me very happy not to live in Southern California, those prices are insane!!!  I liked the exterior and that it wasn't just gray, very inviting.  Meanwhile, I thought the tile, especially in the shower, was way to detailed/busy and the kind of thing I'd tire of relatively quickly.  The less said about Christina's salmon cabinets the better although they were obviously just part of the setup for the new show. 

I hate all the pseudo-drama between them.  They're not the first couple to divorce and have to work out kids and jobs.  And for Tarek to whine about how tough it is when he has the kids and has to work is an insult to all single parents without his resources.  Dude, we know you have TWO full time nannies.  I also wish they would not show the kids in these episodes where they're emphasizing the divorce drama.  Even though the angst doesn't happen in scenes with the kids; I'd rather they were as far away from this BS as possible.

This week's People Magazine features Christina and the kids on the cover, no doubt promoting the new show.  Haven't read the article, but I can imagine what it says.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, doodlebug said:

Meanwhile, I thought the tile, especially in the shower, was way to detailed/busy and the kind of thing I'd tire of relatively quickly. 

I've seen that tile at one of the model homes near me. It was also used in the bathroom but more as a feature wall behind the vanity. It didn't go into the shower. It is definitely an eye catcher and unique. It could grow old like you said. At least it wasn't another boring subway tile with a band of mosaic squares. Pretty sure that design trend is getting dated. 

Speaking of her new show, just looking at her personal makeover in these episodes I have a feeling she is trying to model herself after the Kardashians. Or HGTV is grooming her in that way. It wouldn't surprise me since they mentioned they will also cover her new dating life. So much for the H and G in HGTV. 

I couldn't be more happy to have moved out of SoCal. The home prices were just too depressing.

They sure do use a lot of tile in their showers. It’s almost too much. I’ve always preferred the bigger tiles with a smaller accent inlay of a glass or mosaic tile. They also go crazy in the kitchens, too. It’s rather specific but if you’re the one buying the house you know what you’re getting in to. Overall, the house looked nice. The only thing I didn’t like was the rather large front window. It was one large piece of glass. There wasn’t individual window or even shutters. It stood out and I don’t mean in a good way. 

• Love 1
8 hours ago, doodlebug said:

9 hours ago, lynxfx said:

Another episode that makes me very happy not to live in Southern California, those prices are insane!!!  I liked the exterior and that it wasn't just gray, very inviting.  Meanwhile, I thought the tile, especially in the shower, was way to detailed/busy and the kind of thing I'd tire of relatively quickly.  The less said about Christina's salmon cabinets the better although they were obviously just part of the setup for the new show. 

I agree. 3 bed, 2 bath, 1800 sq feet? Not worth 1.1 million. That must be some neighborhood. 

And the outside of the house looked weird to me. I liked the stacked stone, but the blue looked out of place, and the big windows looked plain without shutters or some kind of framing.  

Did they remove the laundry room completely? If so, where will the washer and dryer go? They never showed it again. 

On 7/1/2018 at 11:06 AM, iMonrey said:

I think what you are seeing is their outdoor kitchen. If you look through all 75 pictures on the second link posted, their actual kitchen has brown cabinets, grayish tan walls, and white counter tops. It would make sense that the outdoor kitchen would be floor to ceiling tile to withstand the elements. 

• Love 3

I wish Tarek would control his feelings more. It's obvious that he's on edge and it makes me a little uncomfortable watching him be so tense. (He may very well have good reason to feel as he does--I'm certainly not taking sides--I just wish he'd put on a better act before the cameras.) I feel somewhat relieved when they acknowledge that the other's choice of material was a good one after all. Maybe I should just stop watching this show, feeling the discomfort that I do, 

Watching Tarek and Christina now, I realize just how these two never showed any kind of sense of humor (and now Christina's humor creates tension).  Makes me appreciate the Desert Flippers (Palm Springs), the Music City Flippers (Nashville), and the Home Town flippers so much more. 

I like what they did to the exterior of the home. The gray-tiled bathroom was just too much tile, too busy for my taste. I thought extending the fireplace to the right merely left a blank space that looked awkward. 

• Love 1