Type keyword(s) to search

This Is Our Spoiler and Speculation Topic

• Start Topic

9 hours ago, PRgal said:

A 70 year old therapist for Randall?  I know there are fewer black therapists, but still.  Randall would have researched and I’m not sure he would consider someone older?  

I feel IMHO the show hasn't been that cheap yet with writing. That would be something you'd see on a daytime soap. If classier, it will be still a stretch but a relative, friend or someone that hears something that rings as bell as others have said. Then there is the hipaa aspect of sharing which they couldn't do without permission. Maybe the therapist will want to excuse themselves and he'll want to know why. Time will tell, but if they did the mom thing, I'd be thinking they changed writers all together.

Edited by debraran
  • Love 1

Fogleman to appease the Sophie lovers said this a few days ago

. Back in March, creator Dan Fogelman hinted Kevin’s love story doesn’t end anytime soon.“There’s an immediate answer coming to all of that,” Fogelman told The Hollywood Reporter of Kevin’s fiancée. “But I think that there’s basically many more chapters in Kevin’s romantic story. … We have mapped out plans for the entire next and sixth season, honestly. So Kevin has a journey ahead of him.”

Personally, I want Kevin just to commit to Madison.  I would like to see their relationship and love grow more than some stupid triangle.  Kevin tried with Sophie when they were kids, and he hurt her.  He tried again as an adult, and he hurt her again.  Recognize there is an issue there, and let her go.

• Love 12
3 hours ago, debraran said:

I feel IMHO the show hasn't been that cheap yet with writing. That would be something you'd see on a daytime soap. If classier, it will be still a stretch but a relative, friend or someone that hears something that rings as bell as others have said. Then there is the hipaa aspect of sharing which they couldn't do without permission. Maybe the therapist will want to excuse themselves and he'll want to know why. Time will tell, but if they did the mom thing, I'd be thinking they changed writers all together.

What would be interesting is if Randall does group therapy and someone in the group turns out to be a relative.

• Useful 2
  • LOL 1
2 hours ago, Crs97 said:

Personally, I want Kevin just to commit to Madison.  I would like to see their relationship and love grow more than some stupid triangle.  Kevin tried with Sophie when they were kids, and he hurt her.  He tried again as an adult, and he hurt her again.  Recognize there is an issue there, and let her go.

Fogleman (madison's real husband which is weird) said Kevin was too young (which is why he didn't get Sophie's mom ring), then was dealing with his addictions but now has grown he felt enough to earn it back. Madison was a curve ball caused by both of them not planning for sex and at their age, a bit silly. But it happened and she's pregnant but also has food issues she is still dealing with and the like. I'd like to see him be mature and stand up as a dad, but whether they'd be good together is questionable. They have no history really at all.

• Love 1

At some point - I imagine when this season is over - I'd love for the writers to discuss how they changed projected storylines because of their COVID and BLM coverage.  It's not just a matter of adding BLM and virus stories, but dropping the way they had planned to go to get to their season 6 end plan.

Would Rebecca have gone to the dementia study that was cancelled because of COVID?  I suspect that would have involved storylines regarding the effect on Rebecca and on family dynamics.  Will racial issues be an increasing part of Randall's relationships with the rest of his family?  Typically, lots of events occur at Thanksgiving and Christmas.  This year?  Will we see Uncle Nicky?  How will isolating and no in person schools affect Tess and Deja's dating?  Will we spend more time in the past than we would have otherwise?

• Love 5

Another teaser from Chrissy about Kate's big 'secret' this season in an interview on Kelly & Ryan. Nothing new really, just repeating that Fogelman asked her about it beforehand and it's something not many people know about her, including Toby. I was sure it was going to be an abortion story line and I still lean that way, but it occurred to me while watching this that maybe it was a teenage suicide attempt after the breakup with Mark and subsequent weight gain.

• Useful 2
39 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

Another teaser from Chrissy about Kate's big 'secret' this season in an interview on Kelly & Ryan. Nothing new really, just repeating that Fogelman asked her about it beforehand and it's something not many people know about her, including Toby. I was sure it was going to be an abortion story line and I still lean that way, but it occurred to me while watching this that maybe it was a teenage suicide attempt after the breakup with Mark and subsequent weight gain.

I would personally prefer a suicide attempt over an abortion.  It does make sense for Kate and what we have seen so far--home burned down, dad dies day of fire, she blames herself for sending him back into the house not knowing about Jack's underlying heart condition, she gives up on her dream of a career in music, she begins dating an abusive asshole, and they have a messy breakup.  The pieces are there for her to contemplate ending her life.  We also know that Kate wallows in her grief for years as she eats her feelings and cannot move on.  This is also something she would keep private especially after getting serious with Toby and his diagnosed mental illness.  She would not want to burden Toby with her past.   

• Love 5

So how many think the eating disorder will rear it's head soon? It's like Kevin forgot about that. I also feel zero chemistry between them and can't see it getting better. Why did they have a random hookup turn into twins with a woman with an eating disorder? They can do better. They already did the Toby getting in shape and Kate feeling fat, now Madison will tell her she feels the same way but it's not really the same. I'm holding out for more on Nicky, Randall's girls and Rebecca and Miguel.

• Love 3
On 11/1/2020 at 9:50 AM, PRgal said:

What would be interesting is if Randall does group therapy and someone in the group turns out to be a relative.

Yes! And the relative tells the sour lemon story from Dr. K because Laurel was treated by him when the paramedics brought her to the hospital. Randall recognizes the lemon story, investigates, and ends up with more people to invite over for thanksgiving (if it weren’t covid times). 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

My next guess is that Dr. K. knew the whole story. He connected the dots once Laurel was brought in by the paramedics. Dr. K. realized that Randall was Laurel’s baby, but stayed quiet believing that Randall was in a better home now. Cut to scene of Randall at a cemetery. We assume he’s visiting Laurel’s grave. Close up to Dr. K’s name on the tombstone (beside that of his late wife and the child they lost).  Randall says thank you. He now has closure. Everyone is forgiven: Laurel for not tracking down Randall, William for lying about Laurel dying, Rebecca for lying about meeting William and Dr. K for staying quiet about treating Laurel. (Speculating is such fun. I love this show.)

Edited by LeighLeigh
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, pennben said:

Lordy.  Somehow  Uncle Nicky is gonna end up in the Randall mom story isn’t he?!

As in the grandfather frying fish was a friend of Nicky’s from Vietnam?

Did anyone notice Kate’s face after the pregnant mom said she was in bed after five hours of knowing the birth dad? Makes me think the big storyline with Kate is an unwanted pregnancy. 

• Love 3
54 minutes ago, LeighLeigh said:

As in the grandfather frying fish was a friend of Nicky’s from Vietnam?

Did anyone notice Kate’s face after the pregnant mom said she was in bed after five hours of knowing the birth dad? Makes me think the big storyline with Kate is an unwanted pregnancy. 

I didn't catch that, but good one! I've been leaning towards some kind of self-harm, but this reaction to the birth mom is a checkmark for the teen pregnancy idea. And maybe it wasn't Mark at all - maybe she was so sad about the breakup that she went out and hooked up with the first guy who was nice to her, so she empathizes.

ETA, and totally O/T but I smile every time I see your screen name. Leigh is my middle name and my mom's pet name for me was Leigh-Leigh. Haven't heard it said out loud in more than twenty years.

Edited by gonzosgirrl
  • Love 1

Because everything in the world revolves around the Pearsons, here's my theory: Vietnamese Grandfather (hereinafter known as VG) is the boy Jack saved in Vietnam. He came to the US after the war ended and, now grown, went to work at the same store as Laurel. Laurel became involved with both him and William, unknown to the other. Laurel becomes pregnant and doesn't know who the father is, so she tells both VG and William that each is the dad. Laurel disappears after the overdose and VG is told that she and the baby died. He goes on with his life never knowing that it was him, not William, who is Randall's father. So Randall is actually half-Vietnamese and only exists because Jack saved his father, reaffirming Jack's role as the Savior of the World! Remember you read it here first.

• LOL 9
  • Love 1

What about when VG was working his way through school as a cashier in a convenience store, and Jack foiled a robbery attempt when he stopped to buy beer?  Because even his addictions are actually blessings!

• LOL 5
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Good Queen Jane said:

Because everything in the world revolves around the Pearsons, here's my theory: Vietnamese Grandfather (hereinafter known as VG) is the boy Jack saved in Vietnam. He came to the US after the war ended and, now grown, went to work at the same store as Laurel. Laurel became involved with both him and William, unknown to the other. Laurel becomes pregnant and doesn't know who the father is, so she tells both VG and William that each is the dad. Laurel disappears after the overdose and VG is told that she and the baby died. He goes on with his life never knowing that it was him, not William, who is Randall's father. So Randall is actually half-Vietnamese and only exists because Jack saved his father, reaffirming Jack's role as the Savior of the World! Remember you read it here first.

He's too old.  The boy was a little kid.  I think VG would be in his teens by then.  Laurel is likely hovering at 70 if she's still alive, and VG is likely in his late 60s/early 70s.  

How about this?  VG was a refugee who lived in the same building William and Laurel did.  Unbeknownst to William, Laurel was with VG at the same time.  Even Laurel isn't sure who Randall's baby daddy is!!!  Time to introduce William's other relatives so we a DNA test can be done.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 11/18/2020 at 12:46 PM, debraran said:

"She revealed to Toby (Chris Sullivan) that when she was 18, she was in "a really bad relationship" — that'd be Marc (Austin Abrams) — and wound up pregnant."

So it seems that the ovulation test she took out of her drawer was just a mistake from the editors? She was pregnant and not trying to get pregnant right?

1 hour ago, himela said:

"She revealed to Toby (Chris Sullivan) that when she was 18, she was in "a really bad relationship" — that'd be Marc (Austin Abrams) — and wound up pregnant."

So it seems that the ovulation test she took out of her drawer was just a mistake from the editors? She was pregnant and not trying to get pregnant right?

I don't think any show like TIU makes mistakes. Whether Kate did, I don't know but I'd hope she would understand one from the other. It's also a lot more expensive. Back then I bought one and only one and it was I think 35-50? Do you think she didn't know you should ovulate so many days in etc and thought that would help? At her age, I'm sure it fluctuated.

I feel when they do closeups they mean for you to see the difference. I just hope she wasn't like some women who thought a baby would make a guy change. I do dread those parts coming up. I'm glad it should be one episode.

Edited by debraran

The only way that Randall's long lost bio mom story could make sense is if he finds out that Laurel lived (got her act together etc) and William knew about it, and lied to him. That way, he would forgive Rebecca once and for all for lying about William to him.

Either way, it's an awful storyline.

• Love 7

I hope not, I can't see them changing William like that. Why if he was an addict, would he lie about his Laurel being dead? How bad could she be that he'd hide her from him? We already had Nicky hidden in a trailer which was deplorable. You say you have a brother you don't see but don't pretend he's dead for pete's sake. No amount of drinking or PTSD makes that right.

They said it will be "elegant writing" whatever that is. But I agree, I hope elegant means NO amnesia, NO "just missed you on the street" moments and NO twin!

I think Randall forgave his Mom but you don't forget, you just have to process it. My mom did some things that angered me and years later it will come back and I'll push it away, she isn't those moments. My sister has a hard time with past events, many 40 years ago. I feel Randall wont forget and try to remedy what happened, but loves Rebecca. It was a kick in the gut to hear from your bio dad how he met your mom more than once though.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, debraran said:

They said it will be "elegant writing" whatever that is.

I take statements like that with a bucket of salt. Everyone involved with this show always talks up what's to come, and then it turns out to be underwhelming and predictable. We, as viewers, will be the ultimate judge of whether the writing is or isn't elegant.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, DarkHorse said:

@Boo Boo Wasn't sure if I could write this in the Honestly thread. When they flashed forward to Kate and Toby's blind baby grown up I don't recall there being any mention of siblings? Interesting now that they are talking about adoption and most people on here think that it will fall through. 

In last year’s season finale they showed the flash forward where Hailey the art gallery girl is Jack’s sister. She goes to the hospital when he’s having a baby. So we know Jack has a sister somehow, but they haven’t shown if Hailey is the baby Kate and Toby are trying to adopt now. I don’t think she is. I think this adoption will fall through, and there will be another storyline about how they get Hailey.

• Love 3

I think that was a ploy in a way. We know Kevin is okay, he gets awards, his wallet seemed placed somewhere. Could be his car, could be someone he stopped to help but a bit too much drama for even TIU.

He COULD be seriously injured, but end up being ok later on. I'd be fine with that. 

What gets me is that, in the preview, we see the car crashed and both driver and passenger doors opened, which seem to hint to me that there were two people in the car. So it could be that this isn't even Kevin's car. The license plate seems to be California and not Vancouver (we know he was stuck in Vancouver at the end of the last episode and that car showed British Columbia license plate).

I'd rather not have a fakeout, though. It would be cheap to have a fakeout promo like this if Kevin is just fine. Not that I want him injured, but it beats a cheap ploy from the promo editors. 

• Love 3
17 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

we know he was stuck in Vancouver at the end of the last episode and that car showed British Columbia license plate

He was still in BC when he called.  The border was technically still closed at the time (as a US citizen he would be allowed to cross, but there would be some delays).  Taking a Canadian rental car across the border is always a problem, more so during Covid when rental companies couldn't just have some one bring it back, so perhaps he dropped it off in Canada and picked up a new rental once he crossed the border.....  Three hour flight versus 22 hours of straight driving, because you wouldn't want to stop in a hotel....  So many things make no sense.  

• Love 3
46 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

I'd rather not have a fakeout, though. It would be cheap to have a fakeout promo like this if Kevin is just fine. Not that I want him injured, but it beats a cheap ploy from the promo editors. 

I think it is a cheap ploy, and it’s not Kevin’s car. I feel like it has to be a fake out, otherwise they would have ended the episode showing him actually crashing instead of what they showed in the promo. This show loves its twists right at the end of an episode, and Kevin crashing the car would have been a big one.

• Love 4

Maybe it's a flashback to an earlier time in Kevin's life. It's when he moved out to California without Sophie and was fooling around with a woman and they got into a car crash. That's how Sophie found out about Kevin's cheating. So now, as Kevin is rushing to Madison's side, he's remembering his mistakes with Sophie and wondering if he can be true to Madison. Again, a misdirection by the promo. 

• Useful 6
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
36 minutes ago, Quof said:

Interesting. Someone hit pause and check the photo in his driver's license.

So I did and paused it. I think the license says that it expires in 2026 and the photo does look more recent, so I don't think it's a flashback. 

Capture2.PNG

• Useful 2
59 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

So I did and paused it. I think the license says that it expires in 2026 and the photo does look more recent, so I don't think it's a flashback. 

Capture2.PNG

Or it's another ovulation/pregnancy test ooopsie 🙂 

• LOL 6
  • Love 1

In the episode thread, there is the promo paused on the license. It looks to me that it says it expires August 31, 2020. I did some research in California driver's licenses, and they are good for 5 years, so licenses that expire in 2026 would be issued in 2021. I think 2020 is the right expiration date. I also read that California allowed a delay in renewing licenses because of Covid, but that seems to have expired. So either the crash happened before Kevin's 40th birthday, Kevin didn't renew his driver's license on his 40th birthday and the crash is in the present,or this is another prop goof like the ovulation box. 

I have spent way too much time thinking about this!

Edited by Good Queen Jane
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

Taking a Canadian rental car across the border is always a problem, more so during Covid when rental companies couldn't just have some one bring it back, so perhaps he dropped it off in Canada and picked up a new rental once he crossed the border..... 

Kevin's got money and he's willing to pay. Snowbirds are currently getting their RVs into the states by flying to the nearest town over the boarder and having shipping companies ferry their RVs down. The rental companies can just have them ferry Kevin's car back on the return trip.

I still think he would fly and there are lots of private flights he could take if he was worried about COVID. Maybe he forgot his documents on set and a PA is madly driving to get them to the airport and they crash. And Kevin not only misses his flight, but feels deeply guilty about the PA (for whom he names his twins after). Surprise twist - the PA is an unknown Pearson cousin!

Or maybe he entered "USA Border" into his GPS and he ended up driving around trying to get south of Point Roberts until he crashed (Point Roberts is part of the non-contiguous US). 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

I think Laurel’s brother is going to somehow be connected to Nicky and Jack and their time in Vietnam .

I think Kevin will be fine but possibly hit someone else causing serious harm.  Or he ends up rescuing someone who has crashed.

• Love 3

I think Kevin will be fine but possibly hit someone else causing serious harm.  Or he ends up rescuing someone who has crashed.

In this EW article, the producer has the following to say about next week's episode:

What's one phrase you would use to describe what lies in the next episode?
An action-adventure.

So, maybe he is going to rescue someone. In Vancouver, when the gangs decide to shoot each other, they steal a car, do the drive-by and then burn the car on a rural road. Maybe that is what Kevin stumbles upon around the next bend in the road. 

Or maybe it's a "Planes, Trains and Automobiles" kind of trip trying to get home to LA. Once the car stops burning, he'll hop back in and drive it until a cop stops him and asks if he thinks it is safe. Then, Kevin will switch to a bus, train and then a bicycle.

The producer also said this:

There was a lot more Laurel in her family struggle — we would've really lived in that space with her as an adult. There was a lot more with Laurel's biological mother that I loved;

One doesn't normally specify "biological mother" unless there is another mother in the mix. Nobody else was identified as a mother to Laurel, so that may be a clue that Aunt Mae is Laurel's biological mother. Especially since they are talking about more when Laurel was an adult when the producer also says that, in their mind, Laurel never reconnected with her parents.

I'm smiling because my next questions were:  Will we see Laurel again this season, and will that house serve as the new Pearson cabin?
I'll say this: Will we see Laurel coming up [later] this season? I have no idea. I do, but I can't say. But if we see her, we'll be seeing her in a very interesting context.

Sounds like she will be coming back...

Edited by kili
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, kili said:

I'm smiling because my next questions were:  Will we see Laurel again this season, and will that house serve as the new Pearson cabin?
I'll say this: Will we see Laurel coming up [later] this season? I have no idea. I do, but I can't say. But if we see her, we'll be seeing her in a very interesting context.

Sounds like she will be coming back...

Noooooo!  

If they bring her back from the dead yet again, I am so out.

• Love 5
8 minutes ago, Trillian said:

Noooooo!  

If they bring her back from the dead yet again, I am so out.

Haven't they extinguished the burning question of what happened to Laurel the Lady of the Lake Ghost of New Orleans?  Hai very graciously and patiently and quite thoroughly Explained It All to Randall, Beth, and all of Us.  For that matter, is the Show done showcasing Sterling K. Brown's hot bod for gratuitous ratings?

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

Also, to note: it looks like there WON'T be a new episode next week. It looks like they're taking an unexpected hiatus. My TV schedule shows a rerun next week. No word yet to when the show will return, so it's unclear if 5x07 will be back in two weeks or three weeks or longer.

So we'll have to wait to see the answers on Kevin's Road Trip.

• Useful 1

I would very much like to fill in a couple of blanks regarding Laurel’s return to New Orleans after being in jail. 

I wouldn’t mind her having a confrontation with her rich parents, only to find out that she really is Auntie Mae’s child and her coming to terms with that. 

I also want to see a scene where Auntie Mae insists that Laurel pursue William after all of these years on this new thing called the internet. 

William seemed to lay pretty low and would probably be hard to find, but maybe she can track down one of their activist friends....

I guess I need a bit more closure. Any one else?

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, DarkHorse said:

Just thinking about the ep where Kate goes to see her abusive ex boyfriend and Toby dutifully drives her there. Toby puts up with so much crap from her and gets so little in return, it kind of happened in the past with that gym friend he had but I wonder when he will have that affair with someone. He needs emotional support more than anyone in the show. 

He and Miguel need it.  How much emotional support does Miguel ever get?

• Love 9
2 hours ago, DarkHorse said:

Miguel just comes across as happy to be there, he is kind of weird. I don't get a sad or desperate vibe from him like I do from Toby though. He does need support and I can see as Rebecca declines the Big 3 will all rally around each other and Miguel will be left on his own. 

I recall one ep where Miguel and Toby were talking and what it was like to be an outsider as the family are really tight and something about how Jack is still the benchmark or leader of the family. 

A story line about that would actually be interesting and correct me if I am wrong but has Toby had a flashback ep? Could also be good. 

I think Toby had a flashback to when he was single or newly divorced from his first wife and depression had set in and he was staying at or living with his mother.  Vague memory I'm not sure if this is all correct.

Miguel will be the 4th wheel on the Big 3 tricycle when they all jockey for position in sharing Rebecca's last days together.  🙁

• Love 4
2 hours ago, DarkHorse said:

I forgot he had a first wife! He was incredibly annoying and over the top at first but has settled down a bit and now is one of the few characters who I hope gets his act together and dumps Kate on her fat keister! 

That will be sad for Miguel, Randall hovering like crazy trying to take charge, Kate crying demanding attention, Kevin probably falling apart quietly somewhere before hitting Randall. The last bit is probably my wishful thinking...

This is assuming Miguel is even still alive then.  I predict if and when, and at this rate it's a big if, they get around to the Rebecca and Miguel story, the very next episode will have Rebecca crying into her hanky at his funeral, surrounded by the Miguel's stepkids, the Big 3, who probably will have a family argument at the grave site with Miguel's adult children.

• LOL 3