Type keyword(s) to search

This Is Our Spoiler and Speculation Topic

• Start Topic

On 2/22/2019 at 5:24 AM, debraran said:

They said some "high risk issue" so it could be that or high blood pressure or many other things.

I was wondering if she has tachycardia that was never diagnosed. If Jack never told Rebecca about his heart problem (remember how he shrugged it off during his pre-Army physical), it may have gone unnoticed in Kate, or brushed aside by her doctor in his or her rush to get to the "Lose Weight" lecture. Her pregnancy maybe exacerbates it. The doctor asks about family history, resulting in the Pearsons realizing that, other than alcoholism, no one knows about Jack's family medical history except ... Nicky.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, MsChicklet said:

I was wondering if she has tachycardia that was never diagnosed. If Jack never told Rebecca about his heart problem (remember how he shrugged it off during his pre-Army physical), it may have gone unnoticed in Kate, or brushed aside by her doctor in his or her rush to get to the "Lose Weight" lecture. Her pregnancy maybe exacerbates it. The doctor asks about family history, resulting in the Pearsons realizing that, other than alcoholism, no one knows about Jack's family medical history except ... Nicky.

Rebecca knows from the doctor after Jack died that he had the "widowmaker" type of heart attack.  If she has never told at least Kate and Kevin about that, she's been remiss.  That cardiac history is significant.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

I'm new here (hi!) but wondering if the baby is disabled in some way? That may be newish. In any event, my daughter is also due in the next few months and if they do anything overly tragic with Kate and her baby, I may hit my TV with the remote. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Lastwaltz said:

I'm new here (hi!) but wondering if the baby is disabled in some way? That may be newish. In any event, my daughter is also due in the next few months and if they do anything overly tragic with Kate and her baby, I may hit my TV with the remote. 

Special needs kids have been on TV before (Corky from Life Goes On comes up)?  Though I don't recall a storyline/character following a BABY with special needs as he/she grows up (in this case, it would be "he").  That might be newish, yeah.

• Love 3

So the season finale is called "Her".  Maybe we will find out more about who the "she" they were going to see in the finale last year.  I know people assume it is Rebecca, has this been verified or is it just speculation?

10 hours ago, 3 is enough said:

So the season finale is called "Her".  Maybe we will find out more about who the "she" they were going to see in the finale last year.  I know people assume it is Rebecca, has this been verified or is it just speculation?

It was confirmed in the episode that Beth appeared in the flashforward.

I guess we're going back to the flashforwards. Well, the break from the flashforwards was nice while it lasted. These flashforwards haven't been very interesting for me, maybe because he's focused too heavily on Randall's family and trying to connect too much to the present day. Since it's 15 years or so into the future, I can't really care about the flashforwards and it also makes some of the present day stuff (Randall/Beth's teasing of a divorce) dumb. I'm positive that even if Randall/Beth separate in the finale, they're not going to divorce. 

If the finale is going to focus a bit more on the flashforwards, it better have Kevin in them next. 

Here is the synopsis for the finale that I found:

Rebecca helps Kate and Toby care for baby Jack; Zoe and Kevin look after Tess and Annie; Randall and Beth consider how to move forward.

I do not know if I like the Kevin/Zoe subplot because, although it'll have Tess/Annie, I bet it'll already bring up the kids vs no kids debate between the two. I think there's a chance it could cause the two to break up. It does sound like Randall/Beth may be away to fix their own problems (although why no mention of Deja then?). 

16 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

I do not know if I like the Kevin/Zoe subplot because, although it'll have Tess/Annie, I bet it'll already bring up the kids vs no kids debate between the two. I think there's a chance it could cause the two to break up. It does sound like Randall/Beth may be away to fix their own problems (although why no mention of Deja then?). 

Yeah, where's Deja?  We did see her texting with her mother awhile back.  Maybe Randall and Beth are in fact dealing with a Deja situation.  Which might be more interesting to me than just the two of them on a marriage encounter thing.  If it's the finale something dire or surprising has to happen, I would rather it not be a Randall-Beth earthquake.  Maybe Rebecca will have some difficulty in caring for the baby and it will portend her future problems whatever they are. 

• Love 1
On 3/23/2019 at 10:32 AM, ShadowFacts said:

Yeah, where's Deja?  We did see her texting with her mother awhile back.  Maybe Randall and Beth are in fact dealing with a Deja situation.  Which might be more interesting to me than just the two of them on a marriage encounter thing.  If it's the finale something dire or surprising has to happen, I would rather it not be a Randall-Beth earthquake.  Maybe Rebecca will have some difficulty in caring for the baby and it will portend her future problems whatever they are. 

Rebecca was sort of mentally 'out of it' in the waiting room.  Maybe it was more than exhaustion. 

I could see this entire SHOW being centered around Rebecca's altzheimers.  Maybe that's why it jumps around so much. 

• Useful 4

I think Rebecca is in early 60's and seems young for dementia (and not  just because many of my friends are 50's to late 60's.) If they did something else, I'd be more interested but to have her lose her memory and probably live in the past, is so cliche with a show like this. God forbid Rebecca has a nice time in her later years, time with Miguel and her grand kids. If they do the titanic ending when the show ends with her meeting Jack, I will be very disappointed. I can understand they had a hot, romantic relationship that cooled a bit later like most and Jack was controlling but she didn't seem to care, but show some growth for her. Please don't send her the past forever, it's been done too often and she is young at this time for that to be probable, much more in 70's and 80's.  I assumed she was exhausted and living the worst day of her life over in the hospital but so many think differently because of the "Pin the tail" reference. I assume what's done is done, the writers are into what ever they planned but I hope the time span is long and she is well for the next year or so.

• Love 2

Nothing Rebecca said in the waiting room suggested dementia to me. Her thoughts tracked clearly, if morbidly; she didn't grope for words -- especially nouns -- nor did she repeat herself. But over the past several months we've heard her speak of chronic pain for which she takes too much ibuprofen, daily. We've also seen her suddenly need to sit down for a moment while staying with Beth and Randall's kids, a spell that Miguel was clearly familiar with.

That doesn't mean she won't suffer dementia in the future, only that what we've seen looks more like hints to something else.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Pallas said:

Nothing Rebecca said in the waiting room suggested dementia to me. Her thoughts tracked clearly, if morbidly; she didn't grope for words -- especially nouns -- nor did she repeat herself. But over the past several months we've heard her speak of chronic pain for which she takes too much ibuprofen, daily. We've also seen her suddenly need to sit down for a moment while staying with Beth and Randall's kids, a spell that Miguel was clearly familiar with.

That doesn't mean she won't suffer dementia in the future, only that what we've seen looks more like hints to something else.

I don't know where they're going with her, but I'm not ruling out something cognitive.  She let the crass comment Kevin made to Madison slide, that didn't seem like her, distracted or not.  Maybe it's something neurological, maybe small seizure-like, where one is disconnected for only a few seconds at a time.  Diabetes is not out of the question, it can cause mild cognitive impairment and she felt a bit faint.  Probably not a brain tumor if she lasts 15 years into the future.  What was it she was having the MRI for way back when Jack told her he didn't want to ever be buried, dizziness? 

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Pallas said:

Wouldn't Miguel try to make sure Rebecca got checked out? Why the secrecy? After losing Jack young, she wouldn't not want to be around for her grand kids and husband. Does she not have the regular checkups that most have? I know it's TV but I wouldn't think Rebecca would be doctor phobic when she knew Jack's bad heart probably added to his quick death. Maybe she is going but doesn't want to bother the kids with it. Really, I don't think they'd be that concerned although I know that's mean. They all are involved with their own drama now and Rebecca's needs were never on the front burner. Even her vacations were told to her, we are going here and it's a cabin, so you'll still feel at home. ; )  I know Jack had his plus's and his minus's have been discussed often, but it always bothered me watching the show, how her voice was so silent most of the time. She just changed course, changed her plans to accommodate everyone and I don't think she ever knew what it was like to say, "I don't want to do this or I don't want to make another costume or revolve around you today." I was proud when she told Jack to shape up with is drinking or leave even if Kate gave her grief. I also don't think Jack stuck up for her enough with Kate but their relationship was always very close.

I still hope for a better span between now and the maudlin end.

Edited by debraran
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, ShadowFacts said:

What was it she was having the MRI for way back when Jack told her he didn't want to ever be buried, dizziness?

Good question! The MRI was for a not-a-brain-tumor, but I'm not sure if we heard what Rebecca's symptoms had been, or the ultimate diagnosis. I wonder if she might have MS or some other neurological/CNS disorder, that caused complications leading to a clear end-stage. 

1 hour ago, debraran said:

Wouldn't Miguel try to make sure Rebecca got checked out? Why the secrecy?

You're right, he would. I can see Rebecca under treatment for something and "not wanting to worry the kids" right now, during their season 3 travails. But maybe Miguel will deliver some home truths to her adult children.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Pallas said:

Good question! The MRI was for a not-a-brain-tumor, but I'm not sure if we heard what Rebecca's symptoms had been, or the ultimate diagnosis. I wonder if she might have MS or some other neurological/CNS disorder, that caused complications leading to a clear end-stage. 

You're right, he would. I can see Rebecca under treatment for something and "not wanting to worry the kids" right now, during their season 3 travails. But maybe Miguel will deliver some home truths to her adult children.

MS is a good possibility.  It might not have declared itself enough to be visible on a scan years ago.  She may already have the diagnosis and is keeping it to herself, but on the other hand she has been traveling alone including driving hours to meet Nicky, which probably wouldn't be the best thing if she knows she has a neurological problem.  Taking the pin-the-tail-on-the-donkey game to her might be misdirection to make us think she has dementia in the future--she could just have asked for some things that are meaningful to her.  And now that I think about it, the fact that Beth has the game kind of suggests she and Randall aren't split up, though it is still possible she might have meaningful Pearson mementos I guess.  I'm thinking more and more that Beth and Randall are still together and Rebecca does not have Alzheimer's. 

• Love 2

About Rebecca's asking for that specific pin-the-tail-on-the-donkey game. I think most people with advanced Alzheimer's re-enter their own childhoods, not their children's. They don't know themselves as parents, and their children often don't understand their referents.

But Rebecca's request was purposeful and specific to their shared past. I'm thinking she intends to use the game as a visual aid for a cross-generational metaphor, like Kevin's drawing. Or that this is where she hid something intended for her successors to find -- then at the last, decided that she wanted to share with them.

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, Pallas said:

About Rebecca's asking for that specific pin-the-tail-on-the-donkey game. I think most people with advanced Alzheimer's re-enter their own childhoods, not their childrens'. They don't know themselves as parents, and their children often don't understand their referents.

But Rebecca's request was purposeful and specific to their shared past. I'm thinking she intends to use the game as a visual aid for a cross-generational metaphor, like Kevin's drawing. Or that this is where she hid something intended for her successors to find -- then at the last, decided that she wanted to share with them.

I love that!

• Love 2

Dementia patients can think it is any time in their past, like as a young mother setting up pin the tail on the donkey for the triplets' birthday.  At one point in 2015 my mother thought it was ~1975 and it was time to pick my brother up from HS soccer practice. Another time she thought it was ~1948 and she needed to walk down the street from the nurses' residence to her hospital shift.

• Love 3

That's true; in my experience, though, people with Alzheimer's were more likely to revisit times from their own youths. And seldom stayed stuck in one timeframe for very long. So if Rebecca were under the influence of Alzheimer's, and asked that the game be brought for "the children to play at their birthday party," she'd likely forget that request within the hour. Her family would know that, all too well: Beth wouldn't be digging out the game from the attic and bringing it to work with her, even the next day. 

Article about what's coming up

The article talks about what the cast mentioned on a panel about this season and next season. Apparently, Sterling and Susan both asked why their characters didn't fight more. Boy, did they get their wish!

"I'm excited about the last episode, It’s a good one. I think you're going to get a lot of answers for all the main characters. There will be an answer given there … as far as longterm health," Fogelman teased before playing the clip, which involves a shocking scene with Rebecca. "The last five minutes is gigantic."

So Rebecca's fate in the flashforwards is definitely going to be revealed.

Some things discussed for season four:

Briefly discussing what's in store for season four of the show, Fogelman said he and his team have "a plan."

"We have a midpoint. We know where we're going and what we're doing," he shared, adding, "our world is going to expand a little bit, in a really interesting way."

Fogelman also teased that a new character -- Rebecca’s father -- will become a prominent part of the story next season. He also promised new flashbacks featuring Jack and Rebecca in some of their happiest times together, prior to Jack's tragic death.

"I'd like to see the early Jack and Rebecca courtship days," added Moore. "How do they get engaged? There's a chunk of time we haven’t explored."

So...does that mean that season 4 WILL focus more on Rebecca? 

• Love 3
29 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

So Rebecca's fate in the flashforwards is definitely going to be revealed.

And it's going to be a shocking scene. My definition of shocking would not be Alzheimer's, that is pretty common and lots of people expect it. Everybody is shocked by different things, but I would find it hard to see her with something like ALS. She's not too old to develop it in present, but she probably would not survive 15 years with it. We'll see in a couple weeks. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, ShadowFacts said:

And it's going to be a shocking scene. My definition of shocking would not be Alzheimer's, that is pretty common and lots of people expect it. Everybody is shocked by different things, but I would find it hard to see her with something like ALS. She's not too old to develop it in present, but she probably would not survive 15 years with it. We'll see in a couple weeks. 

Alzheimer's isn't the only form of dementia.  My late maternal grandmother had Parkinson's and eventually developed a form of dementia related to it.  

46 minutes ago, PRgal said:

Alzheimer's isn't the only form of dementia.  My late maternal grandmother had Parkinson's and eventually developed a form of dementia related to it.  

Yes, there are varieties of dementia, we've had a couple different ones in my family, sorry I used Alzheimer's as shorthand.  My point was that those types of conditions in an 80-something year-old wouldn't have shock value to me, but I know they might to other people.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, nlkm9 said:

so what do you think of the flashback that she has a car accident? I feel its leading up to her eventual health issue.

I’m not sure if it will. I watched the promo again and there’s a quick moment where Jack and the kids are walking into a hospital, if Rebecca has a heath issue a part of me feels like this car accident has no correlation to it. I could be wrong but I’m not placing bets on it having all that much to do with the other. Except for the kids all remembering that Mom was in the hospital once. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, WhosThatGirl said:

I’m not sure if it will. I watched the promo again and there’s a quick moment where Jack and the kids are walking into a hospital, if Rebecca has a heath issue a part of me feels like this car accident has no correlation to it. I could be wrong but I’m not placing bets on it having all that much to do with the other. Except for the kids all remembering that Mom was in the hospital once. 

Yes, I think the tie-in is that once when they were young they were worried they would lose her but didn't, and now they really will.  I'm not looking forward to it, it is too close to reality for me, as William's death was. 

• Love 5
4 hours ago, ShadowFacts said:

Yes, I think the tie-in is that once when they were young they were worried they would lose her but didn't, and now they really will.  I'm not looking forward to it, it is too close to reality for me, as William's death was. 

Yup and like most of the flashbacks this season it won’t fit as well as they would like. The flashbacks have been super off this season. The only one imho opinion that fit sort of well was Kate’s  graduation episode and the kids high school graduation flashbacks. Other than that the flashbacks haven’t really matched.

• Love 1

In a Glamour article Mandy Moore said "No" to Alzheimer's which made me happy but the pin the tail scenario I guess will play out soon. I still feel they will find a way that edges Miguel out or he dies first but we will see.  Anytime the producer plugs the finale too much, I'm disappointed so I'm keeping my expectations low. Who knows, maybe it's not "her" that has something wrong , but Kate.

Edited by debraran
  • Love 1

My mind is still riding the speculation train about what will be "shocking" about seeing Rebecca in the finale.  Assisted suicide?  And where are Kevin and Kate in the future?   Maybe they're there with their mother and don't have to be summoned.  Another question:  they seem to be back near where Randall lives, be that PA or NJ -- did Rebecca move to California and back again? 

22 hours ago, debraran said:

Who knows, maybe it's not "her" that has something wrong , but Kate.

Could it be that the past car accident ties in via future Kate and Rebecca are in a car accident, Kate has already passed, and Rebecca is about to? That's probably pushing it, and I never guess these things correctly.

• Useful 1

The pin the tail would have me think not but who knows? Stroke, MS, could be anything and since Kate and Baby Jack haven’t been in previews yet , an open forum.  I’d rather not know the future, although I sometimes wiki a movie, it ruins it a bit .

On 4/1/2019 at 7:41 AM, ShadowFacts said:

My mind is still riding the speculation train about what will be "shocking" about seeing Rebecca in the finale.  Assisted suicide?  And where are Kevin and Kate in the future?   Maybe they're there with their mother and don't have to be summoned.  Another question:  they seem to be back near where Randall lives, be that PA or NJ -- did Rebecca move to California and back again?

I think so (or came back East for treatment). We know that "her" facility is an after-work-drive away from Newark, where Tess works, as well as from wherever Beth runs her studio. And that Randall also lives nearish Newark: close enough to frequently take Tess out for dinner during the week. Kevin and Kate may have spent the day with their mother.

But one wrinkle is that if we see future-Kate in this episode, the die will be cast about her weight fifteen years from now.  I'm guessing we still don't see her in the flash-forward.

Assisted suicide is an intriguing thought. 

On 3/31/2019 at 9:26 AM, debraran said:

Who knows, maybe it's not "her" that has something wrong , but Kate

"Her" got her name as the person that both Tess and Randall said they weren't "ready to see yet," and the person Beth said they were going to see. She also seems to be the person who (Randall told Toby) wanted "everyone" present. It's true that this could possibly be Rebecca calling a family meeting to discuss Kate's fate. But Kate's niece(s) as well? And is young Jack, now 15, also with her? 

On 4/1/2019 at 7:41 AM, ShadowFacts said:

Could it be that the past car accident ties in via future Kate and Rebecca are in a car accident, Kate has already passed, and Rebecca is about to?

You may well be right about the accident with both Rebecca and Kate. If so, my guess would be that Kate is recovering (unseen tonight) elsewhere in the hospital or at a connected rehab facility.

• Love 2

The "Her" jump to the future just completely got away from the writers this season, it would seem.

I would love it if they'd quite focusing on trying to SHOCK everyone with clever setups, focus on logical narratives and actually give these suffering fools some light in their lives every now and then.

• Love 6
57 minutes ago, jmonique said:

The "Her" jump to the future just completely got away from the writers this season, it would seem.

I would love it if they'd quite focusing on trying to SHOCK everyone with clever setups, focus on logical narratives and actually give these suffering fools some light in their lives every now and then.

Yup, I agree. It makes me sad. I remember thinking the first two seasons of this show, the writers spent so much effort on their episodes to connect them all and this season that’s all missing. 

Also did anyone see the sneak leak for tonight’s episode?(it’s on the this is us Facebook page I caught it randomly last night) and yeah.. it’s just odd, basically it kind of seems like Beth is all ready to just throw in the towel on the marriage. I agree with someone else who said if this was real life, divorce wouldn’t be the first option and honestly just because it’s a tv show, I’m kind of annoyed that it’s looking like it might be the answer here. I would love to see them work through this and not just be like done. I hope the show surprises me and has them do that.

• Love 2

I honestly do not think the show will risk R and B divorcing particularly for such a stupid plot line. My purely unspoiled speculation (have not even looked  at the previews) is that R puts Beth first and gives up his seat and all is well. This show is about how love conquers all Rebecca and Jack, Kate and Tobes, and R & B.

• Love 5
5 minutes ago, qtpye said:

I honestly do not think the show will risk R and B divorcing particularly for such a stupid plot line. My purely unspoiled speculation (have not even looked  at the previews) is that R puts Beth first and gives up his seat and all is well. This show is about how love conquers all Rebecca and Jack, Kate and Tobes, and R & B.

I hope so. I want them to work this out. I know in the future Randall is wearing his wedding ring so tgat is hopeful . I mean he could be remarried but who knows.

• Love 2

Here's one post-finale interview by Chris Sullivan

So, it does confirm a spoiler for season four. Kate isn't dead in the future so...they may be waiting to see if Chrissy will lose weight, so her future self can also be at a lower weight. I know back in season one, Chrissy mentioned that it was in her contract that she had to lose some weight. We know Fogelman said that he has the ending planned (I presume flash forwards have been a part of it). So I wonder if this is why; so that they can show a less overweight Kate in the future. Maybe not skinny-skinny, but not at the weight she is now. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Lady Calypso said:

So, it does confirm a spoiler for season four. Kate isn't dead in the future so...they may be waiting to see if Chrissy will lose weight, so her future self can also be at a lower weight. I know back in season one, Chrissy mentioned that it was in her contract that she had to lose some weight. We know Fogelman said that he has the ending planned (I presume flash forwards have been a part of it). So I wonder if this is why; so that they can show a less overweight Kate in the future. Maybe not skinny-skinny, but not at the weight she is now. 

They may be hoping for that, or uncertain if she will or she won't, so they're kind of stuck about showing her in the future.  She hasn't moved the needle much in three years; if past is predictor of future, she may not in the next three.  But who knows.  And that was a pretty big spoiler about Kate and Tobes not being married in the future. 

• Love 3
On 3/24/2019 at 1:55 PM, debraran said:

I think Rebecca is in early 60's and seems young for dementia (and not  just because many of my friends are 50's to late 60's.) If they did something else, I'd be more interested but to have her lose her memory and probably live in the past, is so cliche with a show like this. God forbid Rebecca has a nice time in her later years, time with Miguel and her grand kids. If they do the titanic ending when the show ends with her meeting Jack, I will be very disappointed. I can understand they had a hot, romantic relationship that cooled a bit later like most and Jack was controlling but she didn't seem to care, but show some growth for her. Please don't send her the past forever, it's been done too often and she is young at this time for that to be probable, much more in 70's and 80's.  I assumed she was exhausted and living the worst day of her life over in the hospital but so many think differently because of the "Pin the tail" reference. I assume what's done is done, the writers are into what ever they planned but I hope the time span is long and she is well for the next year or so.

My father had Lewy Body Dementia and it became apparent when he was in his mid-50's that something was wrong.  

• Love 1
1 hour ago, ShadowFacts said:

They may be hoping for that, or uncertain if she will or she won't, so they're kind of stuck about showing her in the future.  She hasn't moved the needle much in three years; if past is predictor of future, she may not in the next three.  But who knows.  And that was a pretty big spoiler about Kate and Tobes not being married in the future. 

I agree. Seems obvious they don’t want to lock Chrissy’s weight in just in case or put actors on that might not continue in a year for kids. The young Kevin playing kevins kid confused me at first but they made it fast and it’s understandable. They’ll need time to get an actor from baby to 10 and teen for Kevin and Kate’s kids 

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, GodsBeloved said:

It was but are we sure Kate is still alive? 

Yeah, Chris Sullivan specifically uses the present tense in that interview when talking about Kate:

“At that point Kate and Toby are no longer married,” Sullivan tells The Post. “Who knows why that could be? Clearly [Toby] is still in communication with Kate and Jack. There are a lot of reasons why marriages don’t continue. The [show’s] writing staff hasn’t told us exactly what that situation will be but I think, either way, there are a lot of lessons to be learned.”

• Love 4
Just now, GodsBeloved said:

duh! thanks @Lady Calypso

I'm still so disappointed that Zoe has been shown the door that I'm not seeing the forest for the trees 🙂

Heh! I'm not surprised Zoe was shown the door, but she'll probably pop in once in a while. She IS still family. Honestly, I'm just hoping that means we get single Kevin for the entirety of next season. I don't even know what Kevin's story will be next season, though, besides helping with baby Jack. I'd like to see him really work at coping with his addiction, since I don't think he should be getting into another relationship before he helps himself. 

• Love 7
5 hours ago, gnushell said:

My father had Lewy Body Dementia and it became apparent when he was in his mid-50's that something was wrong.  

Someone in my extended family developed frontotemporal dementia in his 50s and lasted ten years before dying.  Doctors thought there was a possible connection with a head injury he had earlier.  I now wonder if Rebecca's car accident really is related to her end stage.  At first I thought it was just to show that she survived that and her kids came to see her and were worried, but now they won't see her survive this.  But what was the actual point of having her injured in a car (besides having Jack act like a jackass and extol her as the engine of the family yada yada)?  I'm now back to thinking there's a connection. 

• Love 2
(edited)
12 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

Ultimately, it's a TV show and some suspension of disbelief may be required at any point. For the entire series, we've had a young Randall who doesn't look a little bit like his teenage or adult self (though he's an incredible child actor!) and viewers have just been asked to roll with it. So, if Chrissy's weight changes a substantial amount, maybe the writers will keep on filming future scenes with her, and the S4 future Kate will be the size she is now, and in the S5 flashfowards, she could be substantially slimmer. The show can just treat it like a recast and not have the other characters comment on the differences in her appearance. I know that would bother many viewers, considering what a thing they've made out of Kate's weight so far. OTOH, it's not like TPTB could go back and tell Chrissy NOT to lose weight now because they want the future scenes to remain consistent between seasons, put her in a fat suit for the Older Kate scenes in case she gets down to a size 10 in real life, or say, "Hey, we're not putting you in the flashforwards because people your size don't live to be 60." The writers might as well just tell the story they want to tell and not worry about how her weight factors into it.

Edited by Dejana
  • Love 3

Coming here to speculate on future Rebecca.

Apparently, it has been denied that she has any dementia. I think the episode wanted to create a parallel between her past accident and the future, when she is apparently dying. I didn't really read too much on that. Maybe they will go with Rebecca had another accident, or she is sick, but not necessarily related to an accident that happened all those years ago. I guess the suggestions were just an attempt to get us talking. It will end up being something pretty trivial, in the end. The episode also established her parenting, in a positive way. The writers needed a kind of cliffhanger so they give us that story, then an old Rebecca surrounded by family. But maybe the things are not really a big deal, although they do create said cliffhanger.

Call it smart writing, or deceiving writing. Or both.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Conotocarious said:

She said her MRI was fine and she had a broken arm. There’s no connection.

I still can't rule it out because some damage doesn't show on an MRI.  For example, all of these football players who have CTE can't have it diagnosed while they're alive, the MRI technology is not there yet.  Concussions also often don't show, and small strokes don't always show damage to the brain.  I think head injury is in the mix of possibilities, but they could well be misdirecting.  I think they deliberately played with the Randall-Beth are they or are they not divorced thing. They could be doing the same here.  Whatever it is, she's in a bad way, the family is gathering as if to say goodbye, we've seen some of them but some are on the way and we can wonder what's up with them. 

• Love 3