Type keyword(s) to search

This Is Our Spoiler and Speculation Topic

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, chocolatine said:

Maybe after Madison calls off the wedding to Kevin and they decide to move forward as friends and coparents, and Kate and Toby's marriage deteriorates, Kate and Madison will realize that they're each other's soul mates and get married.

I like this idea better than all the other scenarios in this thread. It feels organic, genuine and great for the kids, who are first cousins to each other.

If they kill off Miguel and/or have Rebecca marry Nicky, I'm out. 

• Love 6
15 hours ago, ProudMary said:

I like this idea better than all the other scenarios in this thread. It feels organic, genuine and great for the kids, who are first cousins to each other.

If they kill off Miguel and/or have Rebecca marry Nicky, I'm out. 

They'd be cousins AND step siblings.  Very soapy.  

• LOL 4
  • Love 4

Another coming attraction showed Randall and Rebecca getting ready for wedding and she asks him about his bio mom. He pretends he told her (he literally did but she meant in detail) I will feel bad if this finale is mostly filler and then a shocker ending or somewhat of a twist. Having Rebecca bring this up on Kevin's wedding day? Is Randall going somewhere? I know shows do this filler thing a lot, builds suspense sometimes, other times does the opposite but I would love with one of the few shows I watch to see quality air time between commercials and not lame conversations.

https://people.com/tv/this-is-us-sneak-peek-rebecca-asks-to-hear-about-randalls-new-orleans-trip-before-kevins-wedding/?fbclid=IwAR3vDHLn-k24j-WbSCeW7Qhzgb5xg1FLaYGDYuaPsIv9Etp73lCFBJ7hDuM

• Love 2
19 hours ago, debraran said:

I know shows do this filler thing a lot, builds suspense sometimes, other times does the opposite but I would love with one of the few shows I watch to see quality air time between commercials and not lame conversations.

https://people.com/tv/this-is-us-sneak-peek-rebecca-asks-to-hear-about-randalls-new-orleans-trip-before-kevins-wedding/?fbclid=IwAR3vDHLn-k24j-WbSCeW7Qhzgb5xg1FLaYGDYuaPsIv9Etp73lCFBJ7hDuM

You said a mouthful.  In this clip, I noticed Miguel trudging up the stairs in a sort of labored way, and then coming back down with his arms out in front, I wonder what's up with that.

• Love 3
(edited)
3 hours ago, ShadowFacts said:

You said a mouthful.  In this clip, I noticed Miguel trudging up the stairs in a sort of labored way, and then coming back down with his arms out in front, I wonder what's up with that.

Dan mentioned on FB there is a flashback of Rebecca trying to watch an old TV show she taped tonight.  That with Randall and Rebecca’s scene, Madison reading her note/vows and Miguel scene , there isn’t much left in the 40 min minus commercial space. I hope the ending is worth it 🤞  If they touch Miguel or kill him off before next Spring, I'll be angry. ; (

Edited by debraran
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, Crs97 said:

If this show ends its final season with Kevin and Sophie together, the primal scream you all will hear will come from me.

I predict Kevin at some point will call Sophie back or she will call him and they’ll get together and by the end of season six he will tell her he finally feels like he earned her mother ring. 

• Love 3

Reading through the Reddit This Is Us at the moment; there's speculation that Madison and Kate's boss might be half-siblings since Madison's mom is British, and if Kevin/Madison are together in the future in some way that could satisfy the "future brother-in-law" comment in a way that doesn't mean a Kate/Kate's boss marriage.

• Useful 3
  • LOL 1
4 hours ago, gonzosgirrl said:

It just occured to me that Miguel said he ran a multi-million dollar construction company. Did we know this?

Didn't he and Jack work at the same construction company way back in Season 1?  Maybe he promoted off camera and know runs the place.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, LexieLily said:

Reading through the Reddit This Is Us at the moment; there's speculation that Madison and Kate's boss might be half-siblings since Madison's mom is British, and if Kevin/Madison are together in the future in some way that could satisfy the "future brother-in-law" comment in a way that doesn't mean a Kate/Kate's boss marriage.

There are multiple season/finale interviews where Fogleman pretty much confirmed it is Kate's wedding to British guy. So unless he's outright lying (always a possibility)...

https://tvline.com/2021/05/25/this-is-us-season-5-finale-is-kate-alive-future/

It’s not the most substantial of evidence, we admit. But it’s enough to rekindle our curiosity about exactly how the family’s future is going to play out. And though series creator Dan Fogelman didn’t directly address the question of Kate’s existence during a call with reporters Tuesday, he did say that having Chrissy Metz’s character get remarried was “part of our plan all along, from go.

“We hinted at, many times in the deeper future, that something was not normal between [Kate] and [Toby],” Fogelman said. “And here we are.”

The hour also inferred that Phillip would have a greater presence in This Is Us‘ sixth and final season.

“Obviously, Chris is going to be a big part of the show next year,” the executive producer confirmed, adding that Geere will be promoted to series regular in Season 6.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

Didn't he and Jack work at the same construction company way back in Season 1?  Maybe he promoted off camera and know runs the place.

He was already Jack's supervisor in the 80s/90s flashbacks, so it makes sense that he got promoted further over the years and/or moved into a more senior role at a different company after Jack died.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, LexieLily said:

That is such a reach. The logistics of this just do not work.  This show has characters roughly the same age as the actors so Madison would be younger than Kate's boss.  That means Madison's mom would have had to abandon her son in England, marry Madison's dad in the US, have Madison and then abandon them.  This show is soapy, but not that soapy.  And then somehow Madison meets her half-brother in LA where he somehow becomes such a good friend to Kate that he is an integral part to Kate and Toby's vow renewal or Kate's marriage to another man yet to be cast.  

• Love 2
(edited)

Someone asked Alexandra (sophie) why she had to leave TIU and she said "Breckenridge, who was a series regular for Season 2 and won a SAG Award with the cast in 2017, said that when the writers were mapping out Kevin's arc in the later seasons, they needed him to step away from Sophie for a while to go on his own journey." Then she added "I can’t do two shows at once, unfortunately,” she said. “I was supposed to go back, but I wasn’t able to, which is all I can say about that.”

That sounds like she will be back and the original ring story was supposed to be true but maybe the hookup with Madison was to fill in the missing parts with Sophie. The writers said the phone thing will be addressed though.

You can't blame her for not wanting a sometime part vs starring role and more $ but maybe it's why Madison just never felt right and the hookup so random.

Edited by debraran
  • Useful 6

In the episode thread, someone asked if they were the only person who thought Nicky could be married to Rebecca in the future. I said that I thought so, too, and mentioned that since we know Nicky sits vigil by Rebecca's death bed, and that he had to run out ahead of Kate's future wedding to get "the wife" some stockings -- maybe "the wife" forgot her stockings, because she is a person in cognitive decline.

Then ams1001 replied with this:

1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

God, I hope not. Especially after he went off on Miguel, who he had just met, for "moving in on" his best friend's girl, even though Jack had been gone for years by then and he didn't know the whole story. (Though I recall someone suggested after we first saw that future scene that maybe Rebecca thinks he's Jack at that point and he's just playing along. Which could be interesting. The idea that he would actually marry his sister-in-law who is in serious cognitive decline is really icky. Her symptoms are mild now, but I imagine in 4-5 years she's likely to be significantly worse.)

The more I think about the section I've put in bold, the more I think that's how it may well unfold. They could even do interesting things with perspective, so that when it's just Rebecca and Nicky, we see Milo on screen, but when other people are in the scene, we all see Griffin Dunne.

I don't mean to imply that Nicky would take advantage of Rebecca in her decline, but rather, that he would be a comforting presence, if Miguel is gone.

It might even be interesting if Miguel weren't gone, but Rebecca thought he was Jack's friend and Nicky was Jack (again, nothing sexual), but I think this show might not go all the way there.

• Love 3
29 minutes ago, General Days said:

I don't mean to imply that Nicky would take advantage of Rebecca in her decline, but rather, that he would be a comforting presence, if Miguel is gone.

If Rebecca is so far gone that she thinks Nicky is Jack in old age, I *really* hope the show doesn't have her marry Nicky. I don't even see how a marriage like that would be legal, and it would definitely be unethical.

Whoever Nicky is married to in the flash-forward needs to be mentally competent.

• Love 7
(edited)

I didn't mean a real marriage. As the part I put in bold said, she'd mistake him for Jack and he'd go along with the charade as to not upset her.

Sometimes, when people are in steep decline, it is too upsetting to them to tell them the truth. (We had this problem with an aunt, when she kept forgetting another aunt died. After a while, when the aunt with dementia asked, the family started saying the other aunt was away, because news of the death was fresh and devastating to her every time.)

I think Nicky might not be married. I think his comment of "the wife" could refer to the charade.

Edited by General Days
  • Love 1
15 minutes ago, General Days said:

I think Nicky might not be married. I think his comment of "the wife" could refer to the charade.

Would Nicky say "the wife" in a situation where Rebecca is nowhere around, though? It was just Kevin and Randall in that hallway. I suppose Brit Phillip could have overheard but if he is marrying Kate surely he knows enough about Rebecca's situation.

• Love 3
Just now, LexieLily said:

Would Nicky say "the wife" in a situation where Rebecca is nowhere around, though? It was just Kevin and Randall in that hallway. I suppose Brit Phillip could have overheard but if he is marrying Kate surely he knows enough about Rebecca's situation.

I think he might say "the wife" because he's so quirky and curmudgeonly. Not to hide it from anyone, though -- just as a Nickyism.

• Love 2
(edited)
14 minutes ago, PRgal said:

Kate (or Philip) may have to work in different areas of the school once word gets out that they're together.  But it isn't a big school?

Maybe she'll get promoted and make big money and have no need for handouts from Kevin. She is a Pearson, she'll talk herself into it. ; ) I can go the rest of the show without EVER hearing another Jack speech but Randall is running for office again it seems. Good Lord, there will be more.

I think Nicky does meet Sally, whether they marry, IDK, but the writers are exploring that next season. I hope he gets some resolution there and maybe will meet someone else.

Edited by debraran
  • Love 2
20 hours ago, Good Queen Jane said:

Wasn't Nicky wearing a wedding ring when sitting by Rebecca's bed in the flash forward? I doubt he would wear a ring just to play act for Rebecca.

There are not ties to Rebecca with that ring for sure. She had 2 husbands and as out of it as she is, seeing or caring about a ring is probably the last thing on her mind. I hope that degree of dementia is later in the season and we see her well for at least half of the shows. They need to push through 10 years in 18 episodes.

• Love 2

Here are some spoilers/observations: the wedding is in England, the wedding is expensive. Either Philip’s family is rich or Kevin paid. Randall will be a congressman. Kevin is with Madison, not married. 

• Love 5
23 minutes ago, LeighLeigh said:

Here are some spoilers/observations: the wedding is in England, the wedding is expensive. Either Philip’s family is rich or Kevin paid. Randall will be a congressman. Kevin is with Madison, not married. 

If in England, did all the kids come too ? That would be something. Maybe the room Kevin was in wasn't just his and the kids are staying with Madison in that room or another room and Kate's kids with??  There is no sign or mention of any of them. An expensive trip for sure but for the Pearson's they are always ready to do anything on a drop of a dime.

• Love 2

As much as I love England, I'd hate a destination wedding episode where everyone gets to jet off for an exciting travelog adventure, or more realistically, everyone is required to take time off work (not a problem with the Pearsons) and spend huge amounts of money they don't really have to deal with traveling and wedding day drama all at one go.  But Kevin's paying for all of it, as usual!

OR

The wedding is in France, a place where Kate has always really truly wanted to get married in and, like the Dynasty cliffhanger, Dan & Co. gave us a clue that the series finale is: a paramilitary group crashes the wedding and mows down the whole Pearson clan.  For years to come TIU fans will speculate who died and who just passed out, until a Remembering This Is Us TV special reunites the cast and Fogelman explains it all.

59 minutes ago, debraran said:

If in England, did all the kids come too ? That would be something. Maybe the room Kevin was in wasn't just his and the kids are staying with Madison in that room or another room and Kate's kids with??  There is no sign or mention of any of them. An expensive trip for sure but for the Pearson's they are always ready to do anything on a drop of a dime.

That pink bra is Annie's?  Tess's?  😄

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, LeighLeigh said:

the wedding is in England

I don't think so. If the season is supposed to start airing in January with no interruptions, most of it will have to be shot this year, and the pandemic is still very much a reality. It will be a while before an entire primetime TV production can safely travel internationally.

Also, it's unlikely that a copy of the New Yorker would be lying around an English hotel, and Kevin making the toast he practiced would go down like a lead balloon at a wedding taking place in England with presumably many English guests. 

• Love 3
5 hours ago, chocolatine said:

I don't think so. If the season is supposed to start airing in January with no interruptions, most of it will have to be shot this year, and the pandemic is still very much a reality. It will be a while before an entire primetime TV production can safely travel internationally.

Also, it's unlikely that a copy of the New Yorker would be lying around an English hotel, and Kevin making the toast he practiced would go down like a lead balloon at a wedding taking place in England with presumably many English guests. 

That's true. They can pretend they are in England but do try to be realistic with travel etc. Well, realistic, not time wise but covid restrictions. Chrissy just said the dress fit the environment of their wedding but that could be any castle like venues in the USA.

I also don't understand why anyone would have to tell Kevin 12 times (at group breakfast?) he can't come in to their room? He's not the groom and it doesn't matter if he sees his sister. I found that statement a bit odd, we get he talked to Madison but why would he want so much to see them getting dressed or talk to them. IDK, a bit odd especially at 45.

I also feel even for the Pearson's bringing Jack Jr and Hailey and the twins and Randall's kids would be expensive unless some stay home....but then they don't do that in TIU. ; )

Yes, and Kevin just happened to see that New Yorker in this hotel and just happened to read it getting ready for the wedding. I understand placement and clues but that seemed a bit much. The fact Randall does anything in politics isn't a "wow, never saw that coming" moment.

• Love 2
(edited)

Chrissy said in an interview something like « where the wedding takes place » drawing speculation about its location. On Reddit, someone pointed out UK light switches and a tea set in the room. Who knows? 

Edited by LeighLeigh
  • Useful 1
7 minutes ago, LeighLeigh said:

Chrissy said in an interview something like « where the wedding takes place » drawing speculation about its location. On Reddit, someone pointed out UK light switches and a tea set in the room. Who knows? 

Now that you mention it in 5 years Covid wont be an issue and if the wedding is filmed next year or it's a fake England, why not? You can make anything look like England. I forgot the fast forward part.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, debraran said:

I also don't understand why anyone would have to tell Kevin 12 times (at group breakfast?) he can't come in to their room? He's not the groom and it doesn't matter if he sees his sister. I found that statement a bit odd, we get he talked to Madison but why would he want so much to see them getting dressed or talk to them. IDK, a bit odd especially at 45.

It was over the top, intended to make us see how playful they are with each other, are they together, yadda yadda.  We must stay interested until next January . . .

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
(edited)
On 6/1/2021 at 6:49 AM, ShadowFacts said:

It was over the top, intended to make us see how playful they are with each other, are they together, yadda yadda.  We must stay interested until next January . . .

Really Beth was playful too and touched him. He didn't really reciprocate except to say he was 45 so we'd know he was older than 5 minutes ago. ; ) It was all about his speech. By the time he gives it, we'll be "whatever" lol

I posted on another TIU forum that I noted the room Kevin was in was fully female second time watching. Not one thing for him, a robe, shoes, shaver, didn't notice both sides of bed messed up. Time will tell what was planned purposely and what was an accident of preparing scene and props.

Edited by debraran
  • Love 2
On 5/27/2021 at 4:03 PM, General Days said:

I think he might say "the wife" because he's so quirky and curmudgeonly. Not to hide it from anyone, though -- just as a Nickyism.

Maybe it's an Italian thing but I heard "the wife " a bit growing up. Uncles would say I have to ask the wife instead of my wife. "You know I have to ask the wife Vinny". It was usually said in a manner like she has the last word and was more important in any opinion.  I felt it fit Nicky.

• Love 7
12 hours ago, debraran said:

Maybe it's an Italian thing but I heard "the wife " a bit growing up. Uncles would say I have to ask the wife instead of my wife. "You know I have to ask the wife Vinny". It was usually said in a manner like she has the last word and was more important in any opinion.  I felt it fit Nicky.

It's pretty generational I think, common in the midwest for sure.  Another thing he said that shows his age is "stockings".  Nobody says that anymore, it's pantyhose, if they're even worn at all.  Nicky is a one man throwback.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, ShadowFacts said:

It's pretty generational I think, common in the midwest for sure.  Another thing he said that shows his age is "stockings".  Nobody says that anymore, it's pantyhose, if they're even worn at all.  Nicky is a one man throwback.

Stockings still are a thing for certain women.   From thigh-highs with adhesive grip to stockings that require a garter belt, many women do still wear them.  That being said, finding stockings in a brick and mortar store is not that easy.  

• Love 1
(edited)
31 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Stockings still are a thing for certain women.   From thigh-highs with adhesive grip to stockings that require a garter belt, many women do still wear them.  That being said, finding stockings in a brick and mortar store is not that easy.  

They still have no nonsense pantyhose in my stop and shop makeup aisle and Leggs without the egg at Walgreens. ; ) Stockings I tried once with elastic and they just wouldn't stay up. That was from Amazon

Edited by debraran
  • Love 1

I was thinking of rings the other day when my mom said she gave my brother my dad's ring although he already had a wedding ring. I was thinking my son could have used it but didn't interject that since she hadn't asked.

I was wondering since Rebecca didn't offer Jack's ring to either son (maybe not show favoritism) she gave it to Nicky when he gets married. She has hers with Miguel and it would be a nice thing to pass on and he can in TIU future we wont see, leave it little Nicky or someone else. To have that of his brother might be a nice gesture.

• Love 3
(edited)
9 hours ago, debraran said:

I was thinking of rings the other day when my mom said she gave my brother my dad's ring although he already had a wedding ring. I was thinking my son could have used it but didn't interject that since she hadn't asked.

I was wondering since Rebecca didn't offer Jack's ring to either son (maybe not show favoritism) she gave it to Nicky when he gets married. She has hers with Miguel and it would be a nice thing to pass on and he can in TIU future we wont see, leave it little Nicky or someone else. To have that of his brother might be a nice gesture.

To have an "heirloom" wedding ring of the man who told his wife, Rebecca, and the rest of his family that Nicky was dead?  I hope Nicky buys his own wedding ring, or Sally buys it or gives him a ring of hers.  Oh, yeah, and I hope that Nicky finds Sally Brookes and that is who "the wife" is.

Edited by CrystalBlue
  • Love 4
On 6/7/2021 at 4:39 PM, CrystalBlue said:

To have an "heirloom" wedding ring of the man who told his wife, Rebecca, and the rest of his family that Nicky was dead?  I hope Nicky buys his own wedding ring, or Sally buys it or gives him a ring of hers.  Oh, yeah, and I hope that Nicky finds Sally Brookes and that is who "the wife" is.

I see your point. I could only hope (as Milo does) that if Jack lived, he would have corrected that. It was an awful thing to do and although fans can feel as they want, it felt good to hear the actor say the same. It wasn't totally out of character for initially him being an ass, but later, for years?

On a different note, does anyone have any idea who might love cuckoo clocks? Seems like an odd thing to have a collection of (hopefully not all working) ; )

image.png.b8a77bfb373f4cd25d42dd42d4e72e0b.png

• Love 4
1 hour ago, debraran said:

On a different note, does anyone have any idea who might love cuckoo clocks? Seems like an odd thing to have a collection of (hopefully not all working) ; )

I never noticed them in the scene. Cuckoo clocks were very popular when I was a kid, in my part of the midwest. I even had one of my grandmother's, which is now my daughter's. They were fascinating to me when I was young. Maybe Kevin travels extensively in Alpine countries?  Maybe if they are working, the sound comforts/calms Rebecca?  Or he mentioned he likes them and now people keep giving them as gifts. They figured prominently in one of his movies . . . something like that may come up next season because otherwise why bother with that little set decoration.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, debraran said:

I see your point. I could only hope (as Milo does) that if Jack lived, he would have corrected that. It was an awful thing to do and although fans can feel as they want, it felt good to hear the actor say the same. It wasn't totally out of character for initially him being an ass, but later, for years?

image.png.b8a77bfb373f4cd25d42dd42d4e72e0b.png

That's also a lot of books for Kevin.  

• Love 2

Alex (Sophie) said she was filmed also in old age makeup in 2018 but they didn't show it. Of course she knows what she did but talks in interview like she isn't sure where she will end up, by Rebecca's bed or elsewhere. lol  I guess they are strictly counseled in letting out clues before the director does.

• Useful 3

I have no clue what to expect next season, but I hope the do a fitting ending for the series. My all-time favorite series ending was "6 feet under." I realize the show was centered around a funeral home, but at the end of the very last episode, they fast-forwarded through each characters life. It was really kind of cool, and provided the proper series closure.  

• Love 5
7 hours ago, salvame said:

I have no clue what to expect next season, but I hope the do a fitting ending for the series. My all-time favorite series ending was "6 feet under." I realize the show was centered around a funeral home, but at the end of the very last episode, they fast-forwarded through each characters life. It was really kind of cool, and provided the proper series closure.  

That was a great series finale, but I cannot imagine This Is Us pulling off a Six Feet Under without it seeming like a crappy imitation, since it would be full of smiling Jack

• LOL 1