Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E18: Past Is Prologue

• Start Topic

A life-changing experience leads Jamal to put the brakes on his music career as long as those closest to him continue the endless cycle of violence and fighting in the Season 2 finale. Meanwhile, the feds pressure Anika to testify against Lucious; and Cookie decides how best to protect her family when she meets with people from her and Lucious' past at Hakeem and Laura's wedding.

(edited)

OMG, which one of them fell?! I was shocked as hell when Rhonda came out. Anika admitted pushing her. I knew it. Please don't let Rhonda be the one who fell, but I admit there would be more drama if Anika survives.

Damn, Lucious married Anika. I got that one right too. On top of everything, Lucious admits that he knows that Anika pushed Rhonda. I wondered how come Lucious and Cookie didn't believe Rhonda. I could not believe Andre didn't believe Rhonda about Anika and let her leave. The whole wedding was sad as hell.

Tarek is Lucious' half-brother. I didn't see that one coming.

Lucky escape for both Hakeem and Laura. She wasn't cut out for life as a Lyon.

I hated Cookie's first outfit, but loved the rest. She is so outrageously stylish.

Jamal is a fool forgiving Lucious and letting him back in. He needs to dump Derek. Poor Freda. All locked up.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 6

So a Boo Boo Boo Kitty fight is going to be an annual thing in the finale then?

At least it wasn't like last year where I got whiplash due to the endless twists happening every 5 minutes over 2 hours.  Instead we had some mild twists in the last 10 minutes.  I had figured Anika was going to get served one way or another as Lucious can't win at everything.  

Interesting season, show.  You hit major highs last season, and now you hit some big lows before starting to rebound.  I need you back in decent form for me to keep interest. 

• Love 1

I thought it was very effective that after the wedding  Jamal was ordered to sing that the music just went out of the show.  Perfectly underscored the dissolution of the family.

I don't understand why Jamal and Hakeem stayed for the wedding once Cookie decided she couldn't. 

Early in the episode, I was a little unnerved by how on board I was with Rhonda expecting Andre to murder Anika.  I knew as soon as Rhonda came out that she was going over.  I don't know why they bothered to make it a cliffhanger.

• Love 2
(edited)

Man, I thought the reveal was going to be Anika set the whole thing up to manipulate Lucious into marrying her and then she'd reveal she's testifying against him anyway to get the company and revenge for cheating on her with Cookie. 

Then I thought when he sent Andre out to get his wife that it'd be revealed that Andre and Anika were in cahoots and actually had an affair and he was in on her attacking Rhonda and they were intent on taking down Lucious together.

Then I thought Andre would try to break up the fight and go over the ledge himself.

Tells you how crazy this show is that all of those are legit possibilities.

Didnt quite get why marrying Anika was the line for Cookie. Lucious can kill and denigrate her kids but marrying Boo Boo Kitty was unacceptable? 

I adore Grandma Walker's low key way of dropping bombs. 'Lucious what's your half brother doing here?' Like everyone knew that grandma!

Hakeem may be the bio father, but Lucious is now the legal father of that kid and has a way to control Hakeem.

Edited by TobinAlbers
  • Love 12
(edited)

Really show?? I may be done with Empire, last year's season was firing on all cylinders and this year's season was  missing spark plugs and desperately in need of an engine overhaul. 

Edited by missbonnie

I'm still processing.

What if both women went over the railing?

Poor Hakeem; he really was wanting to try and be a "normal" family with Laura. Sadly, I'm glad Hakeem is free of Laura if a fight was all it took to ruin her mood. Either she was lying to herself that she wasn't interested in Hakeem's money or she has no idea what work goes into a marriage. Then again, her parents seemed pretty stiff-necked. I don't blame them for wanting to keep a known bad dude out of their daughter's wedding venue, but to wash their hands so completely? They must have only allowed the courtship because they thought it would a) burn out and/or b)get their daughter a higher profile, thus give Laura a chance to move to another label. That's some cold shit. Hakeem seems doomed in hindsight. Then that mess with Lucious and Anika. I am glad 'Keem's crew was right there with him.

I had to switch channels a couple of times. I guess because I'm invested in the characters that I got upset and disappointed in Rhonda wanting Andre to kill Anika. I also could not listen to whatever new lies Lucious told Freda to get her to rap. I am betting he used Jamal and Freda's bond against both. If the concern trolling didn't shake Freda, then he probably had some vile threats at the ready.

The lovely woman whom we've only seen once or twice reappeared! Cookie mentioned that she's a/ the #1 artist. Well, probably because she doesn't hang around you lunatics! *g* Loved her song.

Man, my wish for Season 3 is that Cookie finds someone who will treat her with love and respect and protect her from Lucious. Hell, Alexis Carrington found love a couple of times on Dynasty, even if she still felt something for Blake.

That hour? Just...wow!

• Love 4

I love the genuine love Jamal and Freda have for each other.

He's hella moody and she's hella mercurial, but they make great music together.

• Love 8

I hope Anika goes over, that sure would solve the grand jury problem. Andre not believing Rhonda made him look like a fool. 

What? Lucious has a bother? 

Surprised it was Laura who ended the wedding and not Hakeem. She seemed into the life Hakeem could give her. Her parents don't have issues with the fact her daughters fiancee is expecting a baby with another woman, but they draw a line at guest lists?  

• Love 6
(edited)

Oh Lucious, you are still trash. 

I need Jamal to move on from D Major, chemistry be damned!

I felt bad for Hakeem. Marrying Laura represented his chance to break free of (some of) his family's craziness. That said, no way was he ready to be married.

So Anika really did push Rhonda. Not gonna lie, I am disappointed in that revelation. Good cliffhanger,  though.

Edited by Gillian Rosh
  • Love 1

KA-BLAM!  What an awesome season finale.

Word up to all of you who called the Lucious/Anika wedding.

I had a feeling this show wasn't going to really surprise us by having someone else push Rhonda.

This soap is so soapy!  "Lucious, what is your half brother doing here?"  say whaaaaat?

Ugh, Laura and her parents are the worst.  I wish she fell off the side of the building so I know for sure I'll never have to see her again.  

Maybe I just have strange sensibilities....but in my world, the person who is paying for the wedding can make huffy demands about the guest list.  And isn't it traditionally the father of the bride that pays for the wedding.  So Father Laura can have all the servings of shut the fuck up, and Mother Laura can take all the damn seats.  "You guys are all thugs!"  Oh really?  Well those "thugs" were the only ones that were ponying up any money for your daughter's career and wedding.  And I don't see how having one rowdy guest makes everyone a "thug," so I did not like where Father Laura was going with that comment.  Laura has all the personality, wit, charm and looks of warm tapioca pudding -- good luck finding as good a catch for her.

But, bring on Tianna!

• Love 14

It was pretty much a foregone conclusion that Laura and Hakeem's wedding would not take place. I thought Lucious and Cookie might then decide to remarry, but the paper marriage of Lucious and Anika was much more dramatically effective.I thought when I saw Anika on the balcony that she would go through with committing suicide. I hope Rhonda isn't dead; she and Andre as a couple add so much to the show. Hopefully his "NOOO!" was prompted by seeing the two fighting and trying to push each other off, and that he then rushed forward and saved both. I didn't understand his sudden skepticism about Anika pushing Rhonda, given that he was the one who planted the suspicion that it wasn't an accident in her mind previously. It's so sad that his BPD makes him mistrust his own thoughts like that.

Glad that Jamal is OK. I was afraid at first that he would be permanently disabled, but I guess on this show music cures everything.

I'm confused by the reveals at the end. Who killed Daddy Joe and what, if anything does his death have to do with the revelation that Tariq is Lucious's half brother?

• Love 3
(edited)

Is there a chance that neither woman is dead? Maybe Rhonda went over, but Andre pulls her back? I really hope that Rhonda makes it somehow. Unfortunately, the odds are with Anika.

Is there anyway that Freda can stay out of prison? I have grown to love the character. I want her free and back with Jamal making music. 

Tariq's stepfather or whoever killed his and Lucious' biological father so why does he have a grudge against Lucious? Because the biological father loved and raised Lucious? 

Oh, and to my fellow Empire fans, thank you for the lack of hysteria and irrational anger over the cliffhanger ending. I have had enough of that from some TWD fans.

ETA: I just read the EW article, Chaiken said "if" someone went over. I now have hope they both survived.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 3

Jamal may not be paralyzed but he's ripe for a pain killer addiction arc in Season 3! Irony for Cookie and Lucious's drug pushing ways help them start Empire and it ends up messing up their favored son.

• Love 5

I enjoyed it even though we knew the Hakeem and Laura wedding was DOA. I had a feeling that Anika would need to marry Lucius wedding because she got served right BEFORE. But then I had a feeling based on previews that some crazy wedding was taking place and it wasn't Cookie and Lucious. 

God help me but Cookie and Lucious are freaking fire together, both good and bad. Their little conversation on the sofa was hilarious. I think Terrance Howard is crazy but can he play both the devil and redeemable all in the same episode. Pretty remarkable.

I think Rhonda is a goner because Anika's story has so much more legs and it's a ripple effect for the Lyons for her to be sticking around. I don't think both could have survived. Part of me wishes Anika didn't push Rhonda and there was something else in play at the end as some have thought maybe would make it even more dark and twisted. 

This is very Shakespeare so I think they they are going very much that route but I think the show is so crazy why not go a little more crazy. 

And of a very superficial note but my goodness the men of this show get hotter and hotter every episode! (Fan me down for Trai! Damn! That Grace is a lucky girl! And she's gorgeous herself)

This show kinda lost its way a bit this season but I will be there come season 3. The music pulls me in and I love seeing the family get along. The push and pull of their dynamic is interesting and they always do it so well.

Bring on the crazy!!

• Love 3

I think the problem this show had at the beginning of this season was, so many celebrities wanted to be, and were on this show, that it became crowded and they forgot about the Lyon Family Drama, which is the meat of this show.

I think what will happen is that Andre will see Anika push Rhonda off the balcony, without seeing that Rhonda went to push her first.  Remember, Lucious told Anika that he knows she pushed Rhonda; no one but us, the audience know that Rhonda went to push Anika first.  Or maybe Andre and Rhonda will BOTH push Anika off, which will be problematic as well. 

Anything can happen on this show!

• Love 2
(edited)

I kind of hope they both go over, TBH.

And I'm mad at Cookie. Lucious can abuse her kids but marrying someone else is over the line?

Edited by Empress1
  • Love 3

I think the most interesting part of this episode was the "STOP HER!!" and mad chase after the process server.  She already served Anika, like what were they going to do, hold her down and beat her up?!  I've heard of process servers getting assaulted before but geez Louise, I felt bad despite her being a fictional character lol.

• Love 2

Well, that was certainly a finale alright.

I'm disappointed that Anika actually pushed Rhonda but at least we know and the cliffhanger with the two of them was certainly a way to end the episode on. I can't see both being killed off though.

Jamal is alive and that's all I needed to see. The jail scenes with Lucious and Freda were interesting.

Saw the Hakeem/Laura wedding not happening coming along with the Lucious/Anika marriage of convenience though.

Nice we learned that Lucious/Tariq were half siblings. I hope next season we learn more on Cookie's past before she met Lucious, 8/10

• Love 1

As a graduate of the Law & Order School of Law, I thought spousal privilege only applied to stuff that happened while they were married? That quickie wedding may not be the solution after all. Plus, I suspect Anika may have already spilled some beans and cut a deal to keep herself out of trouble.

I bet Cookie has more history with Tariq than we know about yet. Also bet she's going to be using Tariq to try to make Lucious jealous.

• Love 6

I also didn't realize we were supposed to doubt that Anika pushed Rhonda. I never did, for a second. Who else would have? A twist would have been, like, Cookie doing it or something.

• Love 2

As a graduate of the Law & Order School of Law, I thought spousal privilege only applied to stuff that happened while they were married? That quickie wedding may not be the solution after all.

For spousal privilege she can't be forced to testify against him at all.

God help me but Cookie and Lucious are freaking fire together, both good and bad. Their little conversation on the sofa was hilarious.

Especially when she walked out of the room and he told her to twerk it.  Something tells me all of that wasn't in the script but they did it anyway. They're the only couple I root for despite everything on paper screams "OH HELL NAW."

• Love 9

Thank you Empire for bringing back that delicious, soapy cheesiness that made the first season so awesome!  From Rhonda walking in and delivering a near perfect right hook to a pregnant Anika to the quickie marriage where everyone in the audience looks like their at a funeral to the who fell cliffhanger.  All great!

I loved Rhonda's white floral pattern dress she wore at the top of the episode.  I also loved how awesome Andre's ass looked in those gray pants! It was a sight to behold.  He needs to where less jackets and coats so it can be on display more.

I was hoping that Jamal was paralyzed, at least temporarily, so that next season he'd regain his ability to walk, but not tell anyone.

I thought Veronica signed with Empire's rival label at the end of last season?  What happened with that?

I hope that Lucious had a prenup drawn up when he and Anika were engaged, because, if she's alive, she's about to take him for everything!  As someone else mentioned above, I also believe that she's already told the feds stuff and has made her own side deal as a fail safe. 

Loved the fight at the end.  I don't know who survived, but I would really love to see Anika in a coma, while her pregnancy progressed through birth, and during that time, she loses all her rights and Lucious has an annulment.  And when she finally awakens it's her mission to get back what she's lost and everything she thinks she's owed. 

And grandma steady dropping bread crumbs every damn where.  I thought they said last year that Lucious' dad's death had something to do with the Nation of Islam.  Hopefully they'll tie it all back together. 

Can't wait for season 3.

• Love 3
(edited)

For spousal privilege she can't be forced to testify against him at all.

Okay, after some quick googling I see that there are two types of privilege associated with spouses. Either way, she could choose to testify against him (no prenup, backmail.) and she may not be able to claim privilege for criminal stuff Lucious told her he did before they were married. The prosecution would probably have a hard time proving when such conversations happened though unless they have them recorded.

I was hoping that Jamal was paralyzed, at least temporarily, so that next season he'd regain his ability to walk, but not tell anyone.

The magical speed of his recovery was weird to me. I wonder if Jussie was going through contract re-negotiations when the last few episodes were filmed and this was TPTB's way of possibly either writing Jamal out or at least severely weakening the character? Daytime soaps have been pulling that kind of stuff for decades.

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
3 hours ago, emjohnson03 said:

God help me but Cookie and Lucious are freaking fire together, both good and bad. Their little conversation on the sofa was hilarious. I think Terrance Howard is crazy but can he play both the devil and redeemable all in the same episode. Pretty remarkable.-

It kills me that Cookie and Lucious have so much damn chemistry, yet I can never bring myself to root for them to get together as a couple. As for Terrance, he is such a talented actor.  He broke my heart when Lucious was crying having to marry Anika. I actually wanted to comfort that heartless bastard. Ha.

1 hour ago, mtlchick said:

Especially when she walked out of the room and he told her to twerk it.  Something tells me all of that wasn't in the script but they did it anyway. They're the only couple I root for despite everything on paper screams "OH HELL NAW."

It was hilarious when Cookie started to twerk. They are so good together.

• Love 4
(edited)

Grandma "Lyons" gives me life. She was the best thing in this finale.  I could not stop laughing at the opening scene with her and that bowl full of shelled peanuts. Staying quiet, cracking peanuts and letting out bits of secrets here and there. Then before the wedding saying something to the effect that she thought Hakeem was ugly, but that he's actually more handsome than she had thought. Good lord, what else can you do but drop your jaws and then chuckle, and Hakeem did just that. She is absolutely the best. 

Yeah, anyway, I am not here for the two women who I see as being the most loyal to the Lyon men getting screwed over, that would Rhonda and Cookie. I am not here for it at all.  Are they going to recycle Anika and Cookie fighting over the not worth it Luscious again? Yeah, I'm not trying to be there for  Alexis Colby and Krystle Carrington 2.0, no thank you. 

I can't root for Luscious and Cookie anymore and I'm going to have to fast forward most of the show if I have to sit through some shitty banter between she and Luscious which will ring hollow for me going forward. Then I have to deal with Anika all up in her face? No, I'll skip it all.   That is not a season three that I'm looking forward to at all if that's all she's going to be doing. I'm not even interested in her trying to get any kind of revenge or one up on Luscious, I want to see complete and utter indifference toward him. Get into her family background more, if all you can do is have her interact with Luscious and Anika then this show is going to have some problems in the longevity department. 

It's time for you to get your life girl, and it shouldn't be anywhere near Luscious and Empire.

Edited by represent
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

As a graduate of the Law & Order School of Law, I thought spousal privilege only applied to stuff that happened while they were married? That quickie wedding may not be the solution after all. Plus, I suspect Anika may have already spilled some beans and cut a deal to keep herself out of trouble.

I bet Cookie has more history with Tariq than we know about yet. Also bet she's going to be using Tariq to try to make Lucious jealous.

did you take Professor Briscoe....he was my favorite.

• Love 11

Oh, and my goodness does Andre suck. I think he would literally stab his own mother in the back if it would please Luscious. He lost me when he pimped out Rhonda. Bipolar my ass,  I don't care how tight his ass is, that was totally unattractive. I don't care that Rhonda was going to do it for him either, it was anything but swoon worthy.

Bye the way, I am so here for choke a bitch Rhonda, more like choke a baby murderer Rhonda.  She better not be dead next season, I'd take her any day over Anika.

• Love 7
8 minutes ago, represent said:

Oh, and my goodness does Andre suck. I think he would literally stab his own mother in the back if it would please Luscious. He lost me when he pimped out Rhonda. Bipolar my ass,  I don't care how tight his ass is, that was totally unattractive. I don't care that Rhonda was going to do it for him either, it was anything but swoon worthy.

Bye the way, I am so here for choke a bitch Rhonda, more like choke a baby murderer Rhonda.  She better not be dead next season, I'd take her any day over Anika.

Andre was the worst IMO, because how often has Rhonda entertained and placated him while he was having an episode, or when he suddenly found religion....and he couldn't even cut her a little slack when she came to him about Anika?  Even if he thought she was crazy, he couldn't even sit down and listen to her?  Or consider what she was saying?  Rhonda has always stood up for Andre, and I think she has always had his back.....but in a nanosecond he pretty much turned on her....and apologized to Lucious?  I honestly thought it was part of some game they had dreamed up to gain control.......I never once thought that he was serious about that.

• Love 7
(edited)

The guy playing Lucious' long-lost brother is handsome. 

I like Freda. I really want her to stay. Her scene with Lucious at the prison were great. I'd really like it if she was able to get out of jail, work with Jamal but still be plotting against Lucious.

Also bet she's going to be using Tariq to try to make Lucious jealous.

YES - make it so, writers!

I think the most interesting part of this episode was the "STOP HER!!" and mad chase after the process server.  She already served Anika, like what were they going to do, hold her down and beat her up?! 

Yes - that was both weird and hilarious.

And grandma steady dropping bread crumbs every damn where. 

I really am getting to love Grandma Leah. What's a soap without a crazy grandma.

Edited by Gillian Rosh
  • Love 5

So I guess we're meant to believe the Feds would just let an agent lead the investigation of his half brother, huh? The entire Anika testimony drama didn't make sense at all, if Tariq was supposed to be investigating murders that happened years before... I guess Anika could have testified about the securities fraud, but so what? She wouldn't exactly be a credible witness. It seems like she was obviously manipulating the situation to coerce Lucious into marrying her. 

I'll be very sad if Rhonda isn't back next season. I remember back during S1, there were some teasers that she also came from a troubled past and I was hoping they'd eventually make a storyline out of it. 

• Love 2

So.....I wonder if this was some sort of Anika plan all along.  I thought she went to the Feds.....but am I wrong, or did the Feds come after her?  I know she SAID the Feds picked her up, but I thought Tariq had said that she came in on her own.

Because if she went to the Feds, perhaps she did so to put all this in motion....and that would be VERY cunning.

9 hours ago, RCharter said:

So.....I wonder if this was some sort of Anika plan all along.  I thought she went to the Feds.....but am I wrong, or did the Feds come after her?  I know she SAID the Feds picked her up, but I thought Tariq had said that she came in on her own.

Because if she went to the Feds, perhaps she did so to put all this in motion....and that would be VERY cunning.

She'll testify against him or find someone else to -- then she'll have Empire while Lucious is in prison for a few episodes. 

• Love 2

I thought at first that both Rhonda and Anika went over but on second thought I think that Andre is the one that went over. 

I love to hate Lucious, THAT is acting! And as much as I want Cookie away from Lucious you cannot deny the chemistry those two have together. The banter between them and that look that Lucious gets after bantering with her...

• Love 1

I'm not happy that Anika is the one that pushed Rhonda, now they have ruined the character for me. I don't think either of the women are dead, Anika will bring more drama to the show and Andre needs Rhonda and she is the only white regular character on the show.

I'm glad Jamal is okay.

I'm glad Hakeem did not marry Laura, I hope the writers get to focus on his music and his relationship with Tiana next season.

I like Freda, but I don't want her next season, they should focus on the family and not spend time on guests.

On Thursday, May 19, 2016 at 2:59 PM, Empress1 said:

And I'm mad at Cookie. Lucious can abuse her kids but marrying someone else is over the line?

This. I dont really like Cookie anymore, they lost me with her character this season, maybe they can make me respect her again.

I didn't really enjoy this finale, I hope next season will be better.

On Thursday, May 19, 2016 at 3:30 AM, TobinAlbers said:

Man, I thought the reveal was going to be Anika set the whole thing up to manipulate Lucious into marrying her and then she'd reveal she's testifying against him anyway to get the company and revenge for cheating on her with Cookie.

Then I thought when he sent Andre out to get his wife that it'd be revealed that Andre and Anika were in cahoots and actually had an affair and he was in on her attacking Rhonda and they were intent on taking down Lucious together.

Then I thought Andre would try to break up the fight and go over the ledge himself.

Tells you how crazy this show is that all of those are legit possibilities.

Didnt quite get why marrying Anika was the line for Cookie. Lucious can kill and denigrate her kids but marrying Boo Boo Kitty was unacceptable?

I adore Grandma Walker's low key way of dropping bombs. 'Lucious what's your half brother doing here?' Like everyone knew that grandma!

Hakeem may be the bio father, but Lucious is now the legal father of that kid and has a way to control Hakeem.

I love your version better, lol.

I kind of get why Cookie was upset about the marriage -- they'd had that scene where Lucious was all over her, but then would marry Boo Boo Kitty in a second?  Hell to the no!

On 5/19/2016 at 7:03 AM, JoJoPowerRanger said:

I think the most interesting part of this episode was the "STOP HER!!" and mad chase after the process server.  She already served Anika, like what were they going to do, hold her down and beat her up?!  I've heard of process servers getting assaulted before but geez Louise, I felt bad despite her being a fictional character lol.

Lucious needs to fire his security staff pronto.  How the process server was allowed on the grounds, even as part of catering staff...  If they couldn't be 100% certain of the security, lock Anika up in the Dre And Granny Memorial Safe Room.

On 5/19/2016 at 8:11 AM, mtlchick said:

I can't root for them, because Lucious is evil.  He may have been made that way, but he couldn't treat Cookie the way she deserves if his life depended on it.

• Love 1

Yeah, I don't root for them either. I'm mad at Cookie but even so, she deserves better than Lucious. I don't want Lucious to have any happiness. I do want that for Cookie, just not with Lucious. The problem is that I want her to have great success with Empire, but Lucious is so wrapped up in that - she can't cut him out, I don't think. 

Terrence plays Lucius so well that when he is suffering ( most of it is his fault), you can't help but feel sorry for the guy, hug him and tell him that everything will be okay

I totally disagree. I don't feel the least bit sorry for Lucius with or without Cookie because I don't believe that Lucius loves Cookie as much as he thinks he does. Lucius' claim that he & Cookie are "ride or die" was bullshit IMO because if he really loved Cookie then he never would have let her rot in prison for almost 20 years nor even consider marrying another woman just to cover his own ass, especially the one who killed his first grandchild. Lucius' marrying Anika shouldn't have been the last straw for Cookie; his wishing Jamal dead should have been-or rather, might have been, if the writers were willing to give Cookie another man who, unlike Lucius, is worthy of her.  Cookie deserves much better.

• Love 2
(edited)

I totally disagree. I don't feel the least bit sorry for Lucius with or without Cookie because I don't believe that Lucius loves Cookie as much as hethinks he does. Lucius' claim that he & Cookie are "ride or die" was bullshit IMO because if he really loved Cookie then he never would have let her rot in prison for almost 20 years nor even consider marrying another woman just to cover his own ass, especially the one who killed his first grandchild. Lucius' marrying Anika shouldn't have been the last straw for Cookie; his wishing Jamal dead should have been-or rather, might have been, if the writers were willing to give Cookie another man who, unlike Lucius, is worthy of her.  Cookie deserves much better.

She doesn't know what he said to Jamal. When Jamal was trying to tell her that's when she interjected and told him about Freda. Then at the hospital, all Lucifer Luscious said to her was something to the effect of she wouldn't believe what he had said to Jamal. She has no idea that he's crossed over into wishing one of his children dead via the AIDS virus, the same kid he dumped in the garbage when he was  what ? Six, Seven years old? 

She does deserve better than Luscious, but she won't get it until she changes her perspective. I for one, want some more background info. as to why she thinks Luscious is the best she could get. Look, Luscious has truly had just a horrible upbringing; but there should come a time when a woman walks away from playing mama to a grown ass man at the expense of herself worth. 

Edited by represent

Well, that's a cliffhanger!  Who will it be?!  Rhonda?  Anika? Both?!  Neither?!  I feel like Anika is more likely to survive do to all the storylines she would be involved in, but I will surprisingly be bummed if it's Rhonda.  I was loving her these past few episodes.  And Anika finally reveals that she really was the one who pushed her.  I will bummed if this rivalry is already done.

No surprise that Hakeem/Laura didn't work out, but I certainly would have predicted it was due to her finally realizing she wasn't ready for this life out, after a fight breaks out thanks to a fleeing process server and a punch happy Xzibit.  You don't get that on every show!

Not a huge fan of Jamal going through the typical "I'll never sing again!  Wait, never mind!" story, but I did like them really showing how important his relationship with Freda is.  Even though she's in jail, I really hope this isn't the end of her and their relationship.

Leah continues to be the best addition to this season.  Followed by Thirsty, who I'm surprised is still alive.  But Leah is really becoming one of my favorite characters this year on any show.  She just always seems to be shaking things up and changing the game.

I sometimes want to hate Terrence Howard and Taraji P. Henson for having such great chemistry, that they almost make me enjoy Lucious and Cookie together.  Key word being almost, of course.  But out of all the things I like about this show, casting both of them has easily been one of the smartest things this show has ever done.

I do think this season struggled compared to the first one, and I worry that it will fall apart sooner rather then later, but I'm still enjoying it for now, and curious to see what crazy shit goes down next season!

• Love 2
On 5/19/2016 at 11:11 AM, mtlchick said:

I thought this same thing! I wonder how many times they ad lib stuff because the chemistry just flows between the two of them. 

(edited)

The finale was for the most part, disappointing. Lucius' marrying  Anika to keep her from testifying against him was one of the most predictable twists, as was Hakeem & Laura's not getting married after all. I didn't mind Laura's daddy calling Lucius out. Lucius may have paid for the wedding, but he didn't buy Laura's family's silence IMO. Between the process server and Shyne showing his ass at the ceremony, I didn't blame Laura for leaving, her parents for having doubts about the Lyons nor Hakeem for once again paying for his parents' mistakes. I didn't think that Hakeem & Laura would last either, but the decision to end things should have been theirs to make.

Move over, Cookie; Grandma Leah's stolen the show!  Grandma Leah is everything! She's one of the few bright spots of an otherwise lame finale. The more Nana Leah makes Lucius suffer, the better. Nana Leah's truth bombs can be funny sometimes, such as her initial dis of Hakeem's looks and downright nuclear in others, like Agent Tariq being Lucius' half-brother. Speaking of Tariq, I like him. He seems to be everything that Lucius is not, as in honest, decent and sane. As for a Tariq/Cookie hook-up, my vote: "Hell, yeah!" Cookie deserves a good man who respects her, which Lucius doesn't, IMO. if Lucius gets pissed off, that's even better. Serves him right for taking Cookie for granted. Lucius & Cookie may have chemistry, but chemistry alone isn't enough. There has to be mutual respect. Cookie has made more sacrifices for Empire, the boys and Lucius than Lucius ever has for her, so she deserves a man who'll appreciate her and if it's Tariq, then so be it.

[Cookie] doesn't know what [Lucius] said to Jamal. When Jamal was trying to tell [Cookie] that's when she interjected and told him about Freda. Then Lucifer Luscious said something to her to the effect of she wouldn't believe what he said to Jamal. She had no idea into wishing one of her children dead via the AIDS virus, the same kid he dumped in the garbage when he was  what? Six? Seven years old?

She does deserve better than Luscious, but she won't get it, until she changes her perspective. I, for one, want some more background info as to why she thinks Luscious is the best she could get. Look, Luscious has had a truly horrible upbringing; but there should come a time when a woman walks away from playing a mama to a grown ass man at the expense of herself worth.

I already know that Cookie doesn't know what Lucious'  cheap shot at Jamal; my point is that I was disappointed in the writers for not letting Cookie find out about it because if she had, then maybe that would have reminded her of how cruel Lucious could be and how low he's willing to go to get what he wants, especially if it's at the boys' expense. However, I do agree that Cookie needs to realize that she deserves much better than Lucious and that the more he takes her for granted, the worse she'll get hurt in the long run.

Andre pissed me off. His kissing up to Lucius, who called him "an embarrassment" for being bipolar and imprisoning him & Leah was bad enough, but his refusal to believe Rhonda when she told him that Anika attacked her and caused her miscarriage was beneath contempt. If anyone has been "ride or die" for Andre it's been Rhonda, unlike Lucius-his own father-who only cares about Andre and his other sons when it's convenient. Anika deserves to pay for what she's done, but Rhonda shouldn't have sunk to Anika's level by physically attacking her while she's pregnant. One unborn child has already died because of Anika and killing her (as much as she deserves it) not only wouldn't have brought that child back, another innocent child would have died because of her. If Andre had had any sense, he not only would have believed Rhonda, he would have hold Hakeem about what Anika did, which could have given Hakeem enough leverage to blackmail Anika into giving Andre & Rhonda full custody of the baby, otherwise they would have told the Feds or worse, aka Lucius & Cookie, about what she did.

Edited by DollEyes
To add stuff.
(edited)

Wow. This show has suddenly turned soapier than Melrose Place! If it were any other show, they'd have enough plot lines for the next two seasons, but why do I get the feeling the season will start with the screen "6 months later" and have 30 seconds of expository saying, "Well, aren't we lucky Anika was brain dead on life support until the baby was born so Tre and Rhonda could adopt the baby, and Rhonda got away with it because everyone knew Anika WANTED to jump, and then, after a Terry Schiavo-like battle with Anika's parents, her husband Lucious pulled the plug so she couldn't testify against him. And Laura took Hakeem back because he let her have a verse on the song we all wrote together to deal with our feelings. It's double-platinum with buzz to sweep next year's ASAs!" Then some new twist happens that has NOTHING to do with any of it.

Edited by JenE4
  • Love 1