Type keyword(s) to search

The Hot Stove: Pitch in the Media

Aw that's too bad. I was hoping this would be a success for Kylie but knew it wouldn't be. 

Though an interesting concept, I just don't think the premise of the is enough to get a big audience in the key demos to watch. 

I think it's on too late, and goes up against ABC's overrated Thursday night lineup.

Notorious on ABC did worse, it had a 2.5 lead in and lost more than half of that to get 1.1 .

Pitch was given a crap lead in (Rosewood- 0.7), Pitch grew from that, it did as well as it could. 

• Love 1
55 minutes ago, shoregirl said:

Plus I wonder what kind of bump it will get with dvr (if they can measure that) , on demand , hulu etc. I hope fox give it plenty of promotion during the Playoffs and world series. 

I hope it gets a DVR bump but I have to wonder if baseball fans are really the go-to audience for potential viewership.  Yes, this show is about baseball but its POV is from a young woman of color entering an all male sport.  Meanwhile, the demographics of baseball fans who watch baseball on TV are that half of of them are over 50, 70% are men and over 80% are white.  I don't know if the playoffs/world series change those demographics.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, DCLeague said:

Notorious on ABC did worse, it had a 2.5 lead in and lost more than half of that to get 1.1 .

Pitch was given a crap lead in (Rosewood- 0.7), Pitch grew from that, it did as well as it could. 

It was also going against the New England Patriots, and with or without Tom Brady, they're a big draw.

I wonder how long this will last.

http://deadline.com/2016/10/pitch-parents-tv-council-move-fox-do-not-cancel-1201831149/

The Parents Television Council is not known for pestering broadcast networks with advice as to how to make sure one of their primetime series succeeds.  But that’s what the TV watchdog group did this morning, urging Fox to move new Pitch to a different day and timeslot to “ensure the show’s success.”

They have noticed that Mike has a lot of sex, right?

• Love 4

This would be the show to test the validity of Fox's stance on not using Overnights and Live + SD numbers .  Back in November they said:

The Live + Same Day rating does not reflect the way people are watching our series. It leaves out the vast majority of fans who choose to watch on DVRs, and virtually ignores those who stream our shows or watch on demand. And those viewers matter...The same-day numbers also do not reflect how we monetize our content. Half of our TV ad inventory is sold on a C7 basis, and we monetize our content on digital platforms like FOX NOW and Hulu, and through TrueX sponsorships – none of which are included in Nielsen’s fast nationals.

So if they are really walking the walk, then the decision to keep Pitch isn't going to be based on the Nielsen overnights but rather how it is performing on other platforms.

• Love 2

And I think that's what they did when it came to a show like Scream Queens.  The same day ratings weren't terrific but I do remember FOX touting how many people streamed the show.

Still, same day ratings give a pretty good indication where the show stands in the scheme of things.  Right now, some predictor places like Grim Reaper and TVByTheNumbers have the show as a "toss up."  I imagine online things like DVR and streaming, along with whether or not they own this show (they do), will influence their decision if the ratings stay "tossup" worthy.

I didn't realize that Mark-Paul Gosselaar had to audition for Mike Lawson. One of the show's creators knew him, so I thought he simply called him up. 

And Kylie was cast first, so MPG had to show that he and Kylie had good chemistry. 

I'm really hoping that this gets renewed.  Not because I think it's great but because there just isn't enough family friendly stuff on tv that's not aimed for either laughs or at children.  This is why I liked Grimm.
I've enjoyed the performances, especially MPG. 

• Love 5

According to an article in Variety today, the future doesn't look bright for the show:
http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/tv-series-cancelations-1201925033/

Of fall’s lowest-rated new shows — ABC’s “Conviction” (0.8 live-plus-same day average Nielsen rating among viewers 18-49) and “Notorious” (0.9); and Fox’s “Pitch” (0.9) and “The Exorcist” (0.7) — none have been canceled. But none are expected to have their seasons extended beyond the initial episode order, much less renewed.

It was a huge error to launch this show while the season was going on. On my blog, I have a lot of people who have been thinking about watching the show but weren't going to while baseball was on and now they're not getting the push to start it from the beginning.

• Love 4
15 hours ago, marina to said:

It was a huge error to launch this show while the season was going on. On my blog, I have a lot of people who have been thinking about watching the show but weren't going to while baseball was on and now they're not getting the push to start it from the beginning.

I agree with this. I think this would have been a good "we miss baseball! let's watch Pitch!" show but instead it started in the heat of the postseason chase and what ended up being a thrilling World Series. 

I do hope that having MLB and Fox Sports so involved that there may be a chance that poor ratings don't mean doom for the show. There's enough ways to cross-promote that it may be valuable for them in other ways.

• Love 4

I agree about a post season start-up.  Pitch is a good show, but it was a slow build, especially for me as a non-baseball fan.  Without the competition from actual baseball, and in the mid-season lull without new episodes from returning favorites and new shows with a bugger build up, the show really could have caught on. I think far too many, myself included saw it as a niche show (female centered and/or sport centered), however, I, unlike the vast majority of viewers listened to word of mouth early enough to tune in.  Nowadays people are not willing to invest in a show they doubt will make it, and sadly, Pitch has been put into the "Dead Man Walking" category by far too many experts, so new viewers are unlikely to tune in.

A pretty lengthy interview with executive producer Kevin Falls on the show's status and possible future plot lines. 

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/12/08/pitch-finale-season-2-fox

ETA: Dan Fogelman with an optimistic outlook for next season:

"I believe in my heart we will be back continuing this story next fall. I believe this story is an important one and that it needs to be on network television. I believe that, in the end, cream rises… and I’ve been blessed to work on this one with some of the creamiest people in the business.

Until next season."

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/12/09/pitch-dan-fogelman-season-1-episode-10-recap

Edited by Victura
  • Love 1

TVLine still has it as "A Safe Bet" to return.  

I keep trying to discern hints whenever I see Mark Consuelo on Kelly Live, but so far, nuthin'.

Fox's schedule is a major mess.  The show doesn't seem to be all that expensive, but then again, what do I know?  

Fingers crossed.

• Love 1

There's a campaign to send postcards to Fox and sponsors of the show like MLB in an effort to renew the show. If anyone's interested, the info is here: https://pitchstreetteam.tumblr.com/post/156456257690/february-keepherinthegame-postcard-campaign

One of the organizers recently received a very positive letter back from the MLB commissioner: https://pitchstreetteam.tumblr.com/post/157211948390/big-day-for-pst-one-of-our-organizers-received

Awhile back, they put together a video #KeepHerintheGame (similar to the #PutHerintheGame campaign for Ginny to be in the All-Star Game in the show) and have plans for sending baseballs and trending the show on Twitter in the upcoming months.

I remember coming across an interview with Ali Larter maybe a month ago where she said she's heard some positive rumblings.

Hopefully these are all good signs that we'll hear good news in May. All fingers crossed on my end as well.

• Love 5
58 minutes ago, ProudMary said:

I love Rob Manfred as Commissioner.  He's such a breath of fresh air after a seeming eternity of Bud Selig.

Probably a better discussion for the MLB thread, but I don't agree with many of the "pace of the game" crap he has pushed - really, automatically giving a guy first base on an intentional walk, rather than have the pitcher throw four pitches? That doesn't do much to speed things up, and it changes the way the game is played.

Besides being a great show about a great sport and a great cause, Pitch is to a degree a commercial for Fox's own baseball broadcasts (we get the Royals on Fox Sports Midwest, e.g.) and for some of its own personalities, like the very-talented but little known Emmy-winner, Garbage Time host Katie Nolan. 

So we got that goin' for us if the decision goes into "extra innings."

• Love 2
On 2017-02-26 at 3:00 AM, JZL said:

Besides being a great show about a great sport and a great cause, Pitch is to a degree a commercial for Fox's own baseball broadcasts (we get the Royals on Fox Sports Midwest, e.g.) and for some of its own personalities, like the very-talented but little known Emmy-winner, Garbage Time host Katie Nolan. 

So we got that goin' for us if the decision goes into "extra innings."

The only problem is they air it starting in Sept. and then they have to compete with other baseball, and it's meaningful September/October baseball.

A lot of times (read: most of the time) I skipped watching Pitch (although I did DVR it) to catch a real baseball game.

It honestly may have been better as a summer show, they could've profited off the whole Summer Baseball buzz, when everyone is excited for baseball but the games themselves are only exciting if your team is playing. Or it may have been better having a winter premiere, when everyone misses baseball and Pitch could give relief to people experiencing baseball withdrawal.

Pitch might do well to take a page out of The League's book. They had great success running their season concurrently with the NFL season, but closing before the final weeks of the season. If your show is about a real life season, use the real life stuff as free marketing, but realize that if the real life stuff is getting exciting, your fake season is gonna get ignored.

Edited by Maximum Taco
  • Love 6
9 hours ago, Maximum Taco said:

It honestly may have been better as a summer show, they could've profited off the whole Summer Baseball buzz, when everyone is excited for baseball but the games themselves are only exciting if your team is playing. Or it may have been better having a winter premiere, when everyone misses baseball and Pitch could give relief to people experiencing baseball withdrawal.

Pitch might do well to take a page out of The League's book. They had great success running their season concurrently with the NFL season, but closing before the final weeks of the season. If your show is about a real life season, use the real life stuff as free marketing, but realize that if the real life stuff is getting exciting, your fake season is gonna get ignored.

I'd personally prefer it be a winter show for the withdrawal reason, but The League's strategy would probably better benefit the network.

• Love 2