Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E21: The Viewing Party Combustion

Everyone must choose sides when a small argument between Leonard and Sheldon erupts into a heated fight during a group get-together.

I live alone primarily because I can't stand arguments, so not my kind of episode.

For everyone else, discuss away!

I really wish the writers would actually watch the show or at least keep notes from previous seasons handy. If memory serves, Sheldon and Lenard decided some time ago they no longer needed a roommate agreement. So why would they be fighting about something they no longer bother with?

It's sad how the writers don't remember the history of the characters and continue contradicting previous episodes, or rehashing things that were dealt with before.

And a previous poster from a different thread had a good point....Stuart was first introduced as a struggling artist. Now he's just a sad sack. Mebbe they should just pull the plug on this show before next season..just pay off everyone's contract and be done.

The sparkle this show had is really starting to tarnish.....

• Love 3

The good: This actually felt like a real episode.  Nice layering and tied everyone in.

The Bad.  The really really bad.  As usual is that there simply is not enough time in what the greedy bastards allot to develop anything let alone the determination to have a B plot if not also a C plot.  Luckily they stopped at two and made a point to bring them together.  But the shortness as usual left everyone hand waving things to death.  Good thing the writers write stupid people with no common sense since Howard has yet to learn to carry an epi pen.  But without his allergy attack, the show would have ended with just another set of shrugs by enough characters to signal it had been 'resolved'.   I'm guessing somewhere down the line we will get more of the Penny and Sheldon tie explored in another short seventeen minute episode.   Because it was brought up but never really explored fully.  We have no idea really what Leonard thinks except it angered him more.  But the why he is angry when in many ways Penny's tie with Leonard makes his life easier really just got a handwave.  You know.  The life he chose where he and his wife sleep in a bed in the shared with a third adult apartment as opposed to the private one they have across the hall.    And Raj and Howard really didn't get much more either. 

The problem is that the show has written itself into a time corner with its greed for ad revenue.  Plus they have written themselves into a corner with the coupling and the need to use all seven of the lead characters in this way.  It was actual a relief to have Bernadette sidelined a bit for once.  I was worried one of the angry door bangings was one or both of the women Raj is seeing.  But even with working the Howard Raj conflict into the main story it still felt rushed and slight.  At this rate we are going to have the main story be the cold open before the theme song credits. 

For me no matter how much they might find the ability to write with the quality of the early season  (which I have not seen in some time), as long as the show is so stunted it can never come together and deliver a quality episode. 

• Love 6

Not my favorite episode, but it did have its moments.

At this point, I don't see how they can "save" Raj.  He was truly annoying tonight and, like the guys, I just can't buy him dating too women.  Well, I wouldn't be able to buy it if I cared...which, at this point, I don't.  I also felt that having Howard have an allergic reaction was a very deus ex machina moment.  The plot of the two warring parties wasn't going anywhere...so let's have Howard eat a nut!

I did like Amy's nod to When Harry Met Sally, though....

• Love 5

Aside from Raj being even more annoying than usual, I enjoyed this episode and had some chuckles from it.  I like Penny and Sheldon, and thought it was a nice twist that Amy was supporting Leonard's side because she's a little bit jealous of the P/S relationship.  I liked Sheldon and Amy's version of faking it and Penny's exasperation at Sheldon's cluelessness.  And I thought Stuart was pretty well used this episode.   Not the best episode ever, but it was much better than I was expecting, given the description.

• Love 2

Stuart dejectedly said the most he's dated is one woman at a time.  But his known list is solid:  Stuart briefly dated Penny (which bugged Leonard), Amy (which made Sheldon jealous), and Howard's hot cousin & and possibly even Debbie Wolowitz too (bothered Howard). Time for the clean sweep: Stuart should make a move on Emily!

• Love 3

The show has been very disappointing this season and has surely jumped the shark. Maybe the writers should have got raises instead of the actors. If Raj has two girlfriends how come one of them didn't come with him to the gathering?

Raj is just a disgusting tool. I can not stand him. The idea of him dating anyone, let alone 2 people is beyond stupid. I was annoyed with the rest of the group when he brought it up. He can't ever be chill...either he's aggressively whining about not dating or he's aggressively whining about how he's dating so many people. Shut up you ass.
I'm over Sheldon and his stupid agreements. Yet I’m more annoyed that the rest of them even entertain the idea. I also don’t understand this living arrangement...how old are these people?

I agree with other posters who have said the writers or the actors need to pay attention to the character histories. Howard has allergic reaction to nuts? 5 year olds with allergies never walk around without an EpiPen but this guy? Eye roll.

Why do I watch? I can't recall if I laughed so I'm guessing I didn’t and I needed to laugh tonight….

#RIP Prince

• Love 4

In Howard's defense I know adults who have life threatening allergies who do not automatically carry EpiPens with them wherever they go.  For that matter I know adults with asthma who are remarkably casual about having their inhalers with them too.  Not sure why but it's a lot more common than most TV shows would have you believe.  In this respect I think BBT actually got it right.

Edited by CherryAmes
  • Love 2

I enjoyed it, liked the Game of Thrones references and them planning a viewing party for the premiere.

I laughed at Penny referring to the fact all the hot guys were killed off. 

• Love 4

Raj is full speed ahead on the train to Sleazeville.

Stuart just looks like some pasty, doughy loser -- I mean, the actor looks physically ill.

Sheldon was a dick as usual. Not only for the roommate agreement, but for his joy in spoiling the "Game of Thrones" books for Leonard.

And why the fuck does Leonard even put up with Sheldon? "Fuck you, Sheldon, I'm going to live with my wife in her apartment!" There. I solved the disagreement about the roommate agreement.

They were all dicks for laughing at Stuart at the end. Penny was right: they're all bullies.

• Love 13

This was the worst BBT ever. Not even funny. Roommate agreement? There shouldn't even be one. Penny and Leonard are married for godsake! No time for them to discuss this is the real reason Leonard doesn't want to go to meeting. Amy at least admits her reason for siding with Leonard. Everybody is right about Raj. Even HOWARD is through with him. Nobody is acting like their sweet, nerdy, funny selves. Their ridicule of Stewart at the end really angered me. My main emotion after watching a comedy shouldn't be anger. I hate the time issue but could get past it if the content returned to the comedy it used to be. I actually went to bed upset. How stupid of me.

• Love 6

Roommate agreement? There shouldn't even be one. Penny and Leonard are married for godsake! No time for them to discuss this is the real reason Leonard doesn't want to go to meeting. Amy at least admits her reason for siding with Leonard.

Well, Penny's reason for wanting a roommate agreement is because she uses it to get what she wants... so that made it more understandable for me.

• Love 1

I can't help but wonder if Raj was just lying about dating two women. Emily has been portrayed as somewhat insane, and she hated Penny just because she had hooked up with Raj one time years before. Is he really going to risk her wrath? Other than that, a stupid, pointless episode.

• Love 2

And why the fuck does Leonard even put up with Sheldon? "Fuck you, Sheldon, I'm going to live with my wife in her apartment!" There. I solved the disagreement about the roommate agreement.

They were all dicks for laughing at Stuart at the end. Penny was right: they're all bullies.

The whole premise of having a meeting for the roommate agreement was just....bad.  As someone upthread said, didn't they get rid of the roommate agreement?  And the idea that Penny was so eager to have the meeting made no sense.  Of course, the idea of a married couple splitting their time between two apartments because the husband's roommate couldn't bear to live without him is one of the more ridiculous things I've seen on TV.

I was also very uncomfortable with the scene of them all laughing at Stuart.  I mean, why would the show have them do that?  To show how Leonard and Sheldon "made up"?  If Stuart's entire existence on this show is for everyone else to bully him, I wish they would just get rid of him and give that title to Raj.

I was not particularly bothered by the fact that Howard didn't have an EpiPen on him.  I mean, he's an adult who has lived with this allergy his entire life and he was going to a private residence where everyone knew he had this allergy (where were the nuts again?  Amy's spinach dip?  THAT was actually harder to believe). I think, if he were going to a restaurant, he may have taken more care and packed his EpiPen, but not if he's just going to his home away from home.

I did like the exploration of Sheldon and Penny's friendship (even if the roommate agreement meeting was far fetched) and the fact that their respective partners are not completely okay with it.  In that respect, I think this episode did succeed.

I always thought that once Raj got over his selective mutism and was able to openly be with women freely? He'd be a huge douche canoe. And he is. Raj is handsome, rich, cultured, well-read, a real metropolitan man who really truly honestly understands the heart of a woman. So much so, that he can date two women, AND THEY KNOW ABOUT EACH OTHER, and both be okay with it because Raj is such a sweetie.

But otherwise, he's a 16 year old bragging to his friends about nailing two women at the same time. i just want to punch him in the face when he does that "humble bragging" (thanks anna0852) thing he does.

I get why Penny insisted on reinstating the roommate agreement - and making the boys think it was their idea. If they're gonna live in two places and pay two rents then she wants to continue getting her way.

Know what? This just occurred to me: If Penny/Leonard moved, got their own place away from the gang and Penny had to be a WIFE?

Those two wouldn't last a month. She's lazy as hell, and does the bare minimum when it comes to keeping her husband happy. Without Sheldon as a buffer, she'd be sick of Leonard and his whining in about a week and a half.

WHY is this shitty show still on the air and why do I even CARE? I was watching Lip Synch Battle in between TBBT Commercials, and I'm sorry to say I didn't miss one thing in either show, there were 6 minute commerical breaks in TBBT and the singing parts lasted (you guessed it) 6 minutes almost exactly.

There will come and day, and it's fast approaching, when I won't give a damn if the show is on or not. They've destroyed my show.

• Love 3

There will come and day, and it's fast approaching, when I won't give a damn if the show is on or not. They've destroyed my show.

I think I'm nearing that point myself. Or perhaps I'm there, since I didn't feel like watching last night. And reading these reviews isn't making me want to search for it online.  This is the 2nd or 3rd episode I missed this season, and that is a first. 

I enjoyed it, liked the Game of Thrones references and them planning a viewing party for the premiere.

Except that she's wrong - Jaime is still alive.

I can't help but wonder if Raj was just lying about dating two women. Emily has been portrayed as somewhat insane, and she hated Penny just because she had hooked up with Raj one time years before. Is he really going to risk her wrath? Other than that, a stupid, pointless episode.

I was just hoping Emily was gone forever.  Oh well.

The whole premise of having a meeting for the roommate agreement was just....bad.  As someone upthread said, didn't they get rid of the roommate agreement?

I thought Sheldon wrote a new one after Leonard & Penny got married and decided to indulge his idiotic childishness by sleeping some nights in Sheldon's apartment and some in Penny's.

where were the nuts again?  Amy's spinach dip?  THAT was actually harder to believe

Leonard said it was in the mortadella on the big Italian sub.  Since I don't eat Italian subs, I wasn't aware that they include mortadella.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 2

It wouldn't be the first time that they gave a nod to When Harry met Sally.  There was that episode where Bernadette was laughing like a jackass at some restaurant.  Granted, in the movie, Sally was faking an orgasm in a restaurant, but the same type of thing none the less.  The writer's really have run out of ideas.

The part of that movie they really need to reference is Harry's speech about how unsexy the name Sheldon is:

Harry Burns: Shel? Sheldon? No, no, you did not have great sex with Sheldon.

Sally Albright: I did too.

Harry Burns: No you didn't. A Sheldon can do your income taxes, if you need a root canal, Sheldon's your man... but humpin' and pumpin' is not Sheldon's strong suit. It's the name. 'Do it to me Sheldon, you're an animal Sheldon, ride me big Shel-don.' Doesn't work.

• Love 10

I can't help but wonder if Raj was just lying about dating two women. Emily has been portrayed as somewhat insane, and she hated Penny just because she had hooked up with Raj one time years before. Is he really going to risk her wrath?

I don't see a problem as long as Raj is truthful with her. She'll just  hate the other woman.

Since I don't eat Italian subs, I wasn't aware that they include mortadella.

They must have gotten it from a real Italian restaurant that sells subs; it wouldn't if it came from a typical pizza and sub shop.

I liked it too. The only thing that annoyed me, and it annoyed me excessively this week for some reason, were all the commercials. 

• Love 2

Sometimes it's hard to believe this show shares DNA with Mom (now there was a fantastic episode this week). I'm tired of conflicts that never get resolved especially when said conflicts should not exist in the first place. The writing for Raj is one of the worst character assassinations I've ever seen on tv and the scene with the jerks laughing at Stuart was just stupid and cruel. (Especially considering that they just spent time in the ER worrying about a friend.)

• Love 1

I always thought that once Raj got over his selective mutism and was able to openly be with women freely? He'd be a huge douche canoe. And he is. Raj is handsome, rich, cultured, well-read, a real metropolitan man who really truly honestly understands the heart of a woman. So much so, that he can date two women, AND THEY KNOW ABOUT EACH OTHER, and both be okay with it because Raj is such a sweetie.

But otherwise, he's a 16 year old bragging to his friends about nailing two women at the same time. i just want to punch him in the face when he does that "humble bragging" (thanks anna0852) thing he does.

In one of the episodes in years past, when Raj was still mute around women, Howard tells Penny, in response to a question she asked, that Raj is a jerk; she just can't hear him.

At first I thought Emily and Claire knew Raj was dating both of them, but things he said later imply that they do not, such as how disastrous it would be to give the wrong bra to the wrong woman.

While it was shitty that they laughed at Stuart at the end (and it wasn't friendly mocking, it was full-on nastiness), I wondered why he just didn't take off the cloak, fold it up, and put it in his bike basket.

• Love 1

The actors and actresses should remember the history of their characters.   They are certainly getting paid more than enough to do so, and should have more than enough influence over the writers.

I'm pretty sure the actors check their bank accounts, smile and then say whatever crap is on the script that's handed to them.
  • Love 5

I'm pretty sure the actors check their bank accounts, smile and then say whatever crap is on the script that's handed to them.

If the scripts were good, they wouldn't be earning their big salaries selling what's on the page as well as they do; anyone could do it. I still remember the remarkable job Kaley did with the rubbish she was handed on the final season of Charmed.

• Love 2

Points for them going back to during scifi/fantasy culture once again.  Liked the GoT viewing party idea. 

Points against:  Pretty much everything else.  I only chuckled once.  And that was the line of Sheldon spitting out the pill.  I probably only laughed at that one, since a coworker is having issues getting his dog to take his medication (he keeps spitting it out too).

I thought too at the end, it would be revealed that Raj was just making that stuff up about seeing 2 women.  Otherwise, it didn't make much sense to me that at least one of them didn't show up at that viewing party. 

Just a dumb, unfunny episode to me.

If the scripts were good, they wouldn't be earning their big salaries selling what's on the page as well as they do; anyone could do it. I still remember the remarkable job Kaley did with the rubbish she was handed on the final season of Charmed.

It seemed like her and her Charmed "sister" (Billie? or was that her.. the sister anyway) basically ruined the entire show.

• Love 1

Perhaps, but they mostly likely aren't going to make this kind of money ever again doing any other project.   They are fools if they don't step in and talk to the writers in an effort to produce the best episodes possible.  As the old saying goes, you don't know what you have until it is gone.

Maybe, but they are also on a top rated show that's doing very well.  Someone is making some good decisions about this show even if there are those among the fans who have some problems with the way the show has gone.

Edited by CherryAmes
  • Love 3

It's not as easy for actors to step up and claim character continuity. There was a recent discussion on the NCIS boards about that problem. Ultimately you're being paid to deliver the lines in the script - some actors have a say in the writing but I guess that depends on how the show is run. Some shows or rather showrunners welcome active participation by the actors - others don't.

Edited by MissLucas
  • Love 3

Lorre may be the type who welcomes participation by the actors but in Two and half Men he certainly demonstrated what he can do to a character when he's mad at the actor who portrayed that character.  I'd hate to see what he might do to one of the guys we've come to love if one of the actors left on bad terms because they didn't like the way their character was being written! 

• Love 2

At first I thought Emily and Claire knew Raj was dating both of them, but things he said later imply that they do not, such as how disastrous it would be to give the wrong bra to the wrong woman.

While it was shitty that they laughed at Stuart at the end (and it wasn't friendly mocking, it was full-on nastiness), I wondered why he just didn't take off the cloak, fold it up, and put it in his bike basket.

I agree. Don't think they know about each other. Claire should at least know about Emily (if Claire is the second one. I might be getting their names mixed). The bra issue doesn't work if she knows though. Maybe they know about each, but each thinks he's only sleeping with her? That doesn't make much sense either though.

As for Stuart... I felt bad for him at first, but then I remembered his stalkerish ways and stopped caring. I too was wondering why he didn't make it easier on himself while riding a bike. I don't watch GoT, but it seems like there would be a character with an easier costume. I did feel bad when he flipped over his bike. Hope the gang at least asked if he was okay...though they probably just laughed at him.

That really just sums up how I feel about this show. Leonard is tired of the roommate agreement. I just felt like, why is he arguing? He gets tired of Sheldon, then always caves in the end. This time won't be any different. Penny always babies Sheldon. Leonard knew that when he married her. Sheldon treats Penny better than he does Leonard. Again, nothing new. Leonard needs to talk to Penny without Sheldon or anyone else. I'd love to see him actually make changes to get out from under Sheldon and STICK with it.

I don't know how far along Bernadette is supposed to be, but she sure doesn't look preggie.  Little bitty people like Bernadette tend to show right away....this baby will be bigger than she is soon.

• Love 1

I don't know how far along Bernadette is supposed to be, but she sure doesn't look preggie.  Little bitty people like Bernadette tend to show right away....this baby will be bigger than she is soon.

If BBT time is close to "real" time, she's still in her first trimester (it was announced she was pregnant 4 episodes ago?) and wouldn't be showing yet. Also, height has far less to do with how soon women show than build does.  People who have longer torsos tend to show later while people with long legs tend to show earlier--although my guess is that Bernadette is in the latter group.

Still, I'm glad they aren't rushing her pregnancy.

I could tolerate the way Stuart is treated, if he wasn't picked on 24/7.  Not much seems to be going right in his life, and he still gets picked on by a bunch of assholes.

I didn't find it funny but it was a nice call back to earlier episodes where we ;learn that Howard is jerk who delights in the misfortunes of his friends so him setting up Stuart was in character.  It was also a callback to the episode where they are picking on Penny's boyfriend Zach and she calls them out for being bullies.  It's not a nice thing but it's truer than many of us would like to believe that among those who have been bullied some aren't nearly as empathetic as you'd like to believe and are quite capable of picking on someone else themselves!

Edited by Homily
  • Love 2

As Penny once said in the episode where the boys were making fun of her friend Zack..."For guys that claim they were picked on for most of their lives..you can be real jerks sometimes...shame on all of you"

So you'd think they learned their lesson and not pick on Stuart.........between the actors and the writers you'd think someone would have voted for some character growth instead of going for the cheap laughs at Stuart's expense....

Edited by Gizmo321
  • Love 1

My problem with how they treat Stuart is not lack of realism but lack of humor.  Sure Wolowitz might do something like that and find it funny but it's not funny for the viewer because Stuart is such a sad sack.  The original Stuart? The one with a degree in art from RISD (I think?) who made a hostage joke with Penny? That guy? Sure, play a trick on him and see him kind of tolerate it but make a sarcastic come-back.  This guy? Who craves any sort of attention whatsoever? It's just sad so I can't laugh with or at it.  They should reboot Stuart by putting him therapy (off-screen) and just give him mood swings with his meds and have the guys respond to different takes coming from him.

As for this episode, I like that the interactions felt basically like the people we know interacting with each other, rather than alien replicant plot-moving, joke-delivering automotons.

K-9 - Skip Emily, Stuart should date Lucy.  I'd love to see her again and they could make a fascinating couple.

• Love 3

I feel like this episode was just a boring rehash of things that have already happened in previous episodes.

- Leonard and Sheldon argue about something stupid and Leonard pouts

- Stuart gets treated like crap

- Howard has an allergic reaction and swells up

- Raj acts like an immature dick

- Amy deliberately sides with Sheldon's friend instead of Sheldon

Such a disappointing season.  I really wish they would just end the series, rather than drag it on like this.

• Love 2

My son-in-law has an epi-pen but doesn't take it to places he goes regularly, like our house.  I think since he practically lives at Leonard and Sheldon's apartment I wouldn't expect him to automatically carry it there, mostly people know what to avoid and are careful enough that they don't need to carry it.  The time Howard needed it in the past it was because he deliberately ate a granola bar he knew had nuts in it.

On 4/30/2016 at 10:56 AM, ari333 said:

This used to be our all time favorite show. Now... bah

I'd think Howard would have his epi pen even at a friend's home.

I would think so too if someone had as severe of allergies as Howard.  How hard is it to carry an epi pen? Or keep it in the car.

I'm surprised that pre-Bernadette, Howard didn't carry his Epi-pen in his front pocket and try to convince women it was...urm...him.  Then again, that sight gag is probably a little much for CBS at 8PM.