Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E10: Rebel With A Cause

• Start Topic

For summer color alone, I would put Sam, Kini, and Ken in the top three. Maybe because I have summer fever, but seeing the dark colors was an automatic turn off. That being said, I did like Emily's (even though I was so distracted by that God awful haircut). I really liked Kini's look which surprised me. Usually I don't like that kind of pant, but somehow it all worked. Sam's was OK and, yes, Alyssa is very over him.

• Love 5

I hated Sam's jumpsuit. It looked poorly made. They're just keeping him around for the drama, and I'm sick of his smug talking heads.

Also, these designers have experienced summer before, right? Because it sure didn't seem like it tonight.

• Love 17

During the sketching portion, when Kini was saying genie I heard "jeanie" and (a) said, no! not more denim!, and (b) why is he saying it that way?! I was so relieved his design was denim free.

• Love 3

Badass elegance??  Another stupid challenge parameter.

It can't be said enough how much Alyssa's stylists must really hate her - that was one of her worst judge outfits ever, and that is saying something.

I love Debi Mazar, and I liked her comments and critiques.

Happy that Emily won - her outfit was the only one, imo, that really embodied the challenge (didn't like the hair styling, though).

Agree with the poster upthread about Sam's signal to Isaac with the flats.  I thought that jumpsuit was ridiculous, and there is no way in hell that you could take seersucker and make it anywhere near "badass".  Was it Isaac who mentioned "Baby Bjorn"?  (And was actually criticizing something that Sam did) -- I'd have to agree - it looked like an outfit for a new mom, with baby carrier already attached.

Loved that Ken defended his outfit, but we did see a slight spark of that old fiery temper of Ken's - he brought himself back in, though.  He'll need to watch his back in the future if he wants to stay.

Overall, I agreed with judging tonight, finally.

I liked Zac's comments about Kini.

Oh, and Isaac - in case you didn't know it, even though you are not an "old geezer", you do come across as one, lots and lots of time!

Edited by njbchlover
  • Love 9

Who knew seersucker = badass???

Isaac?

There were some epic judge stink faces during the runway. And I'm glad that Zac at least saw that Sam is the emperor with literally no new clothes.

• Love 18

I didn't expect Asha to go home before Sam. The only thing summer about his jumpsuit was the seersucker. I saw nothing elegant or badass about that sash hanging down in the front.

I wanted to hate Kini's disco MC Hammer pants but his model actually rocked them to the point where I thought they looked good. I'm glad he ditched the jacket, it would have been overkill.

I liked Emily's outfit even though it didn't scream summer to me. I don't remember who didn't like the shoes but I loved them.

Two strikes on Alyssa's outfits tonight. That red top looked like it had curtain tassels at the waist and her runway show look was all kinds of confused.

• Love 7

Agree with the poster upthread about Sam's signal to Isaac with the flats.  I thought that jumpsuit was ridiculous, and there is no way in hell that you could take seersucker and make it anywhere near "badass".  

Sam should avoid fabrics with the word "suck" in them.   All sorts of things come to mind.

• Love 11

You guys are going to think I'm nuts but I kind of loved Alyssa's hair at the runway show tonight. It was crazy big but I dug it. Her outfit was horrendous though.

I also loved Zanna's green dress in the work room. It's was a strange night for me.

Anyway, I liked Emily's outfit but that stupid wig was so distracting. I could even see the model's blond hair sticking out of the back of it. The wig almost ruined the whole look for me.

I didn't like Asha's outfit but I think Ken should have went home for not even designing anything. What did he do with his time and what did he spend $250 on? His jumpsuit was so basic.

I didn't like Kini's outfit but at least he tried something new. I liked the top of Dom 's outfit but hated the bottom. Sam's was pretty bad too.

Overall, a pretty weak runway. It's summer, why didn't anyone make shorts? I live in Florida and no one is wearing leather in July, you would die. You might die wearing neoprene too.

Edited by grumpypanda
  • Love 6

I really wanted Zac to ask if he could get a closer look at the clothes. I wish they let the judges look at the designs up close here like they do on Project Runway. You'd think they'd want to do that on All Stars more than the regular show because these people ought to be sewing better constructed stuff. I don't think they are, but they ought to be.

• Love 10

Badass elegance??  Another stupid challenge parameter.

Agree with the poster upthread about Sam's signal to Isaac with the flats.  I thought that jumpsuit was ridiculous, and there is no way in hell that you could take seersucker and make it anywhere near "badass".  Was it Isaac who mentioned "Baby Bjorn"?  (And was actually criticizing something that Sam did) -- I'd have to agree - it looked like an outfit for a new mom, with baby carrier already attached.

I actually think Isaac was trying to say the whole "baby bjorn" thing Sam had going on was a good thing... which... no, it's not a good thing. It was very confusing. I still don't understand how Sam's look was in the top, and as sour puss as Zac was, at least he didn't have any favorites and didn't hold back saying things looked bad.

I don't get the big deal about flats, why is it such a bold move? I mean, come on, it's not a ground breaking choice or anything... especially not when Sam does it every single week. I get that most modeling/runways feature heels of some sort, but the styling should only matter so much... so many of those shoes are hideous anyway, heels or flats.

I'm glad Kini's look was in the top, his pants turned out really interesting. and though Ken's was simple, I'm glad he gets to stay. Like others, I'm surprised to find myself liking him so much this time around, but it's nice to see some growth in the designers.

Not sorry that Asha is gone... Sam needs to go too... and that's as someone who didn't really see Under the Gunn... they've been annoying enough on their own this season (Sam especially).

Edited by Jjrmt
  • Love 4

What in the hell, how does Asha go home before ass kisser Sam.

I am sorry to offend those who liked it but I hated Emily's, I think Kini's said Summer and was interesting without being weird. What Debi said something about his model serving it, I totally agree.

I feel Ken should have been out not only was his jumpsuit basic, it was poorly tailored and has been done to death! Also for that awful black t-shirt he had on for most of the epidode. Dude for the love of my eyes please don't wear a shirt so low cut I almost see your nips and belly button.

Zac was about the only judge making sense and telling it like it really is, not playing favorites or having an agenda.

Oh, and Alyssa must really need this gig to let them style her the way they do!

• Love 4

Dom almost went home before ass kisser Sam.   Asha and everyone left is better than Sam.   Fade was better than Sam.   Layana was better than Sam.   Sam's skills are rudimentary at best, and I'm being charitable.   Yet week after week, and I dread in weeks to come, we see better designers being sent home while Sam continues his campaign of suckage. 

And suck-up-age.

• Love 10

Once again Kini outscored Sam; so much for Sam's "I'll just beat you on the runway," or whatever his silly boast was.  How was he not on the bottom, though?  That was hideous.  I was very surprised Zac wasn't more outspoken about the construction or fit on any of the garments, but perhaps we just didn't get to see that part.  Asha's dress had the weirdest fit in the waist and hips, really terrible. 

I really liked Emily's design, but it didn't say summer to me.  All in all, though, it was the best by far.  Kini's was cute, too, but I think it would have more limited appeal.  

Anyway, judging continues to puzzle me, but even Sam's biggest supporters had negatives this time.  Maybe we'll get his long-overdue ouster next week.  sigh. 

• Love 2

Nearly everything on the runway was hideous and I didn't think what Emily made was all that great either. Kini's pants were hideous what woman wants their hips to look gigantic like that? Ken was the worst,  how did that unfinished mess not send his ass home?? I miss the PR junior designers big time.

• Love 3

I miss the PR junior designers big time.

It occurred to me tonight that if PR: All Stars can bend the Project Runway brand so far as to usher Under the Gunn contestants under the Project Runway umbrella, then it's feasible that they could bring some of the kids from PR: Junior on board to compete against the adults.   PR: Junior has more of a PR pedigree than Under the Gunn.

Badass (sorry, just felt a compulsion to say it).

• Love 7

First: what the HECK was Alyssa wearing on the runway during critiques? And her hair? I just CAN'T EVEN.

When I saw her my first thought was "WTF is she dressed up as?" It looked like she was going to a Star Wars themed prom.

There was no middle ground for me this week, I either liked it or hated it. I liked Ken,  Emily (at least something I liked won), & Dom (but something I also liked almost got eliminated) & the ones I hated were Asha (OK with her going home), Sam (seersucker? I don’t think badass, I think barbershop quartet), & Kini (loved the jacket which he got rid of, but hated the pants)

Edited by GaT
  • Love 2

I wish Sam had stayed with his original jumpsuit design. It looked like mechanics coveralls made in seersucker. Then again, Isaac would have claimed that was soooooo original once he knew it was Sam's.

• Love 2

Calamity Jane, I meant to say that Sam waved at Zac, but mistakenly typed Isaac instead. I guess I'm just used to his flirting with Isaac.

I'm so glad I found this site. I've been reading many of the forums, but Project Runway, et al, are my favorites.

Edited by Miss Ruth
  • Love 4

OK, as much as I can not even with the Sam and Isaac bonfire of the vanities at this point, in the ongoing Under-the-Gunn-veteran campaign to repurpose other peoples' work poorly for the runway, this week Asha chose to rip off Natalia's* signature detail. JMO, that's in such egregiously poor taste that I'm OK with her going home over it.

Also, good lord, woman, learn to fit a waist.

I want Zak and Debbie Mazar every week.

*If you managed to escape UTG, Natalia was the designer who died for Asha's (and Mondo's and Tim's) sins on their way to her attempted coronation.

ETA Oxblood is so fresh for summer? I remember the meatpacking district back when they packed meat there, and no, it pretty specifically isn't.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 14

Asha's look reminded me of PR Junior, Peytie made something beautiful and similar (but, y'know, better).

I've watched a lot of this show, and I don't recall ever hearing so much about shoes. Did the sponsor pay a lot? Or is that all they can find to compliment? It's absurd at this point. Shouldn't shoes almost be an afterthought for a design competition, not what makes the clothes work?

I'm annoyed at how boring this show is. Asha leaving was obvious. Ken's drama was nothing because they hadn't yet aired the conversation with him and Sam shown in previews weeks ago. There's nothing to love or hate, imho. I'm kind of annoyed one of these people wins a massive prize.

How was Sam in the top with that nonsense?  That thing looked awful, how is wearing a baby bjorn in seersucker badass?  And again with the fucking shoes, this show isn't called "Project Shoes: All Stars"  I get that styling matters, but how does a gold flat forgive that shit show of an outfit?  I actually preferred Ken's jumpsuit.  Yes, it was simple, but at least it wasn't as stupid as some ridiculous seersucker seatbelt across the front of your outfit!  I just don't get it, I really don't.

And did anyone besides Kini and Ken realize that this was supposed to be a look for summer?  I'll forgive Emily, because I think her girl just wears black all the time, no matter what the season.  But seriously, how was Asha's dress even supposed to be summer?  It was a nice dress for work, or maybe for a cocktail party...in the fall.  I liked Kini's much more than I thought I would, if it had been a tie for the winner, I would have been okay with that.  Dom's dress was a miss, it just fit odd, and the bottom looked like drape fabric.  Ken's just looked like a basic jumpsuit, but I think the color white for summer was a good pick.

• Love 14

Preach! I think the biggest BADASS of the episode was the bird that took a shit on Isaac's jacket before runway judging. You go, seagull!

I want that seagull to guest judge next week.  

You guys are going to think I'm nuts but I kind of loved Alyssa's hair at the runway show tonight. It was crazy big but I dug it. Her outfit was horrendous though.

I liked Alyssa's hair....and then I saw her outfit.....so close!

Did anyone notice that coy, little wave Sam gave Isaac when Alyssa was introducing the judges?

I thought he waved to Zac.  

He did, and it more than annoyed me, because I think Zac plays favorites, and if he pulled his punches or softened his critique because of some flirty vibe he got from Sam it makes me mad.

• Love 2

If you look at the sketch, Sam designed the garment Kini sewed for him with a menswear collar and then (like he does every week) ran into the brick wall of his inability to sew. He needed the swag to draw the eye away from how incredibly badly it fit. Either way, if I want an opinion about seersucker, I'm going to go with the designer who runs womenswear at Brooks Brothers (that would be Zak) over the designer who 'designs' polyester t-shirts.

Ken's was way better constructed (and if Ken gets sent home behind that great brawling baby Isaac not appreciating Ken not appreciating Isaac tearing Ken's garment apart to cover Sam's unworthy but apparently compelling ass, I'm going to be annoyed. Breathe in a bag, Isaac, and just be proud you make being a shrew look so effortless).

I don't think Sam got anywhere with Zak. I don't think Zak really does second rate.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 5
(edited)

I curse this week's guest lady for bringing up her company's "girl" and hence encouraging all the designers to talk about their girls. Ugh.

I totally agreed with Ken about assuming that the other designers would go with leather = edgy and that summer is too hot for a leather outfit. I think that it's kind of a cop out to use leather to convey edginess. If you're a good designer, you should be able to make an edgy outfit without relying on leather. Ken's top looked pretty good considering that he scrapped his original right before the runway, but it made the model's torso look really wide. I can't imagine how unflattering that would be on a regular person. I don't think of white jumpsuits as badass or edgy. And the pants were way too long. I don't care that he did it on purpose. If I saw someone wearing pants like that in public, I would think they shouldn't have worn them until after they had a tailor hem them. I was sure he was going home for mouthing off to the judges about how his model could walk in his pants just fine.

When Asha said she chose oxblood leather because it's cool and summery, I thought what? So I was glad when the guest lady said that the color was more of a fall burgundy. Usually I enjoy seeing the designers mix print with other materials but I hated this dress. The print was an ugly mishmash of burgundy prints and I hated the bondage neckline. Can you imagine that on your neck on a hot summer day? Ugh. The model's ass also looked flat and shapeless because the waistline was so high and Asha didn't shape the lower/back part of the skirt to fit her better. I was sure that TPTB were going to keep Asha until the bitter end so I'm glad she was finally eliminated because I have not been impressed with her work and her dress really sucked.

I liked Emily's take on the flapper. It was referential without being too costumey and it looked cool enough to wear in the summer without sweating like crazy.

I want to hear more about Dom's three years doing cancer/biomedical research. Like was she working in a research lab? I am not calling her a liar but I always want more specifics when people say things like that because I have become a little cautious/wary when people make statements like that, mostly because a friend of a friend is always posting on instagram about how she "saves lives" with her "cancer research" and then her friend told me that she works in QA at a pharmaceutical company. Again, I am not accusing Dom of lying so I don't want anyone to take it that way. I just really want to know more about what she did because it's very interesting to me and it's so different from what she does now which makes it even more interesting!

I didn't like Dom's dress. From the silvery disco top with the fluttery sleeves to the way too high slit, this was not something I would imagine an edgy badass woman wearing in the summer. And was her model really pigeon toed? There was something weird about her walk on the runway.

How did Sam think that an edgy badass girl would wear a seersucker jumpsuit? His first version was boring. His second version was so terrible that i was laughing when Sam said his model looked sexy, sophisticated, naughty, and badass. Uh, no. She looked like a woman wearing a giant Girl Scout sash in light blue. The gold huaraches were hideous. Loved that Zac saw right through Sam's lame story about the girl who had to go to a party in the Hamptons.

Kini's shiny Hammer pants did not do it for me. First I want to know who decided to make metallic sofa fabric. I liked his white top better than Ken's white top. It was so much more flattering.

Alyssa looked terrible. That hair! And whatever she was wearing on the runway made her look huge. And what in the hell was Georgina wearing? Feathers? Fabric flowers? Good lord.

ETA: I completely forgot that Peytie used the same fabric as Asha! How did Peytie manage to make it look so cute while Asha made it looks so ugly? Oh, right, Peytie is a better designer than all of the clowns on this season's All Stars.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 6

I've nothing against Debi Mazur but, damn girl--step away from the botox. She had things to say about the runway, intelligent things but I couldn't stop staring at her shiny, completely immobile face. It was distracting and not in a good way. Who, dear god, thinks that frozen is a good facial look?

Summer looks. Summer. Emily has some serious designing chops and can realize them with her sewing skills but screw the black as the only color in the spectrum, please. Sunny, warm, flowers blooming and birds singing. Cookouts, relaxing in the sun..not everyone wakes up every day and wants to look like they're going to a funeral. Edgy? Not so much. Bore me. Black on black with black trim is a cliche fallback and safe go-to.

Sam? Go away. Your designs suck. You're a nasty, second rate poseur and your sell-by date is right around the corner. You will be replaced by the next cute thing by Tuesday, wondering why it's getting harder and harder to attract a hottie at the bars as you age out.

• Love 9

I'm watching the runway this morning, since I fell asleep live (Benadryl is our friend...). Apparently, Alyssa and her stylist were stoned on something far stronger when they dressed her. And is she suddenly 10 months pregnant? Because that's the silhouette she was giving.

A *mirror* is your friend, Alyssa. Seriously. And taste. Go find some.

• Love 6