Type keyword(s) to search

The Star Wars Saga

Joe
  • Start Topic

20 hours ago, SnoGirl said:

I hated that they killed off Solo, and now I'm wondering if Disney is also kicking themselves for that. I wonder if Luke is going to make it out of the story alive now. Or if they'll do reshoots to VIII to write out Leia. 

Given his feelings on the original three films, I think its almost a certainty that Solo's death was a condition of Ford's participation.  He didn't think Solo should have made it out of the original trilogy alive.

I tend to think they will handle this in a way that Leia unexpectedly dies and that Luke and/or Kylo Ren get a vision(s) that informs them.  For the sake of the audience, I think they will likely have a cgi performance that tells us that Han and Leia are reunited in death ala the fireside vision in Return of the Jedi.

The biggest issue they are going to have with IX is that now they need a surrogate for Leia for whatever story they were developing for Kylo Ren.  They have to make the nephew / Uncle bond really deep.  But I think its possible that they'll create another set of Skywalker twins, and Rey will be the heretofore unknown twin of Kylo Ren and child of Han and Leia.

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, ParadoxLost said:

Given his feelings on the original three films, I think its almost a certainty that Solo's death was a condition of Ford's participation.  He didn't think Solo should have made it out of the original trilogy alive.

I tend to think they will handle this in a way that Leia unexpectedly dies and that Luke and/or Kylo Ren get a vision(s) that informs them.  For the sake of the audience, I think they will likely have a cgi performance that tells us that Han and Leia are reunited in death ala the fireside vision in Return of the Jedi.

The biggest issue they are going to have with IX is that now they need a surrogate for Leia for whatever story they were developing for Kylo Ren.  They have to make the nephew / Uncle bond really deep.  But I think its possible that they'll create another set of Skywalker twins, and Rey will be the heretofore unknown twin of Kylo Ren and child of Han and Leia.

Hard for them to be twins since there's a 10-year age difference between them.  Kylo is 29 and Rey is 19. 

• Love 1

Aside from Carrie's family and her various co-stars over the years the other person I feel for so much right now is Kathleen Kennedy because she is the one who ultimately has to decide what happens to Leia in episode 9. I do not want Leia recast at all.

• Love 3

Oh my yes, poor Kathleen. No matter what choice she makes, she's going to get hit with a s**t storm of epic proportions. Not only trying to service the story itself but her responsibilities to the studio/investors and the fanbase (not a group of people known for keeping their opinions to themselves) plus ensuring that the decision ultimately is respectful to the Fisher family as well. And she's going to have to make this choice in the public eye while dealing with the loss of someone she's known and worked with for a long time.

I hope the public will bear in mind that any such efforts are necessitated by the death of a beloved actor and not just studio tampering or creative differences. The responses I saw to Andy Whitfield having to give up his lead role on Spartacus and be replaced by a new actor lead me to believe that there is a way for all parties to make the best of a bad situation respectfully. Though in this case I think working Leia's death into the story is the way to go rather than recasting.

• Love 1

Given what I've heard about the extensive reshoots of Rogue One (to the point where most of the trailers are comprised of material that wasn't anywhere in the film, all of which demonstrate DRASTICALLY different storylines playing out...

Spoiler

there's a trailer scene which has Cassian and Jyn running through the base WITH the Death Star plans AND Kaytoo, even though in the big-screen cut he "died" before they got their hands on it

) there's a chance that there's plenty of footage filmed for Episode 8 that can be adapted for 9. A little editing, some blue-screen effects, a body double here and there - it's not impossible. 

Which is all to say, I don't think the situation is quite as dire as we think it is. Personally I'm gonna wait to see how Episode 8 plays out before worrying about 9.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, maraleia said:

Aside from Carrie's family and her various co-stars over the years the other person I feel for so much right now is Kathleen Kennedy because she is the one who ultimately has to decide what happens to Leia in episode 9. I do not want Leia recast at all.

It may not be Kathleen Kennedy's decision. My understanding is she's largely responsible for hiring the creative team. Rian Johnson wrote the treatment for episode 9, and Derek Connolly and Colin Trevorrow wrote the script. Whatever was originally in store for Leia in Episode IX, it was probably their decision more than Kennedy's. I suspect that they'd have to make the initial decision with Kennedy having veto power, (for example she'd veto it if they wanted to recast the role... and I'm sure she actually would do just that if the idea was proposed, which it probably wouldn't be).

A recast or CGI Leia would be very controversial for sure, but would changing the story be? To me it's pretty much the only viable solution. I know people are going to want a happy ending for Leia or more satisfying closure for the character but at what cost? The filmmakers have to play the cards they have been dealt, and unfortunately there isn't one with Carrie Fisher being able to play the role in Episode 9.

Does Leia need to die? Maybe not, they could use any footage they shot of Leia in episode 7 or 8 and re-purpose it, even perhaps digitally changing her surroundings, just to give the character a quick postscript. But they will almost certainly have to change the story if Leia was meant to have a significant role in it. I think a brief CGI Leia appearance may be on the table. Recasting isn't. I mean it's fine to banter about it on forums but I'd eat my shoe if they actually did that.

Maybe Leia didn't factor that much in episode 9 at all in the first place. But if she did, she won't now. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Bruinsfan said:

I hope the public will bear in mind that any such efforts are necessitated by the death of a beloved actor and not just studio tampering or creative differences. The responses I saw to Andy Whitfield having to give up his lead role on Spartacus and be replaced by a new actor lead me to believe that there is a way for all parties to make the best of a bad situation respectfully. Though in this case I think working Leia's death into the story is the way to go rather than recasting.

The difference is Andy signed off on the re-cast and he wasn't defined by the role. Carrie on the other hand is and always will be. This is why everyone who loved Carrie is having such a hard time with her death and the impact it will have on episode nine.

7 hours ago, Ronin Jackson said:

I know people are going to want a happy ending for Leia or more satisfying closure for the character but at what cost?

Furious 7 managed it with a combo of existing footage, CGI, and body doubles.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, starri said:

I imagine it wouldn't be too hard to kill of Leia without having an actual death scene, but still making it a part of the plot. They blew up several planets in The Force Awakens. Just have Leia on a planet or space ship that is attacked and explodes. I am reminded of how Oliver Reed died during the filming of Gladiator and even 2000 era filming and effects weren't that bad.

Also i read yesterday that Disney is getting like a 50 million dollar insurance payout because of Fisher's untimely death. That should help with any needed reshoots.

Wow, I said up thread that it was likely Disney would get a huge pay off, but 50 million surprises me. I was figuring 20. That's amazing. Makes her the most expensive actress in the history of  Hollywood.

4 hours ago, starri said:

This is a different situation though. Paul Walker died during production of that film. Carrie Fisher died between production of films. The Episode IX have a lot more time and flexibility in finding a solution. We're talking about a film that's three years off from being released. I haven't seen Furious 7 but if the CGI creations in Rogue One are any indication, I don't think the tech is a viable solution just yet (granted it could be in two years). Still they have the option to re-write Episode IX and they will use it if they need to.

3 hours ago, Ronin Jackson said:

This is a different situation though. Paul Walker died during production of that film. Carrie Fisher died between production of films. The Episode IX have a lot more time and flexibility in finding a solution. We're talking about a film that's three years off from being released. I haven't seen Furious 7 but if the CGI creations in Rogue One are any indication, I don't think the tech is a viable solution just yet (granted it could be in two years). Still they have the option to re-write Episode IX and they will use it if they need to.

I think people though would be willing to give some leeway to imperfect CGI given the circumstances, and given the movie series. If one can lend a little imagination anywhere to help out, it's Star Wars.

Edited by ulkis
  • Love 2

I can overlook some bad CGI in order to get the proper ending for Leia. I would prefer it to a recast because that, for me, would be WAY more distracting. Anyone but Carrie playing Leia is going to immediately take me out of any story they are telling. Of course, there are also people who will be taken out of the story by bad CGI, or by an obviously last minute end to her story. Basically, they are screwed. Whatever choice they make, some group is going to be in an uproar about it. I just hope that, whatever they do decide, they do it as well as possible and with respect to Carrie's memory.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, MrsR said:

Wow, I said up thread that it was likely Disney would get a huge pay off, but 50 million surprises me. I was figuring 20. That's amazing. Makes her the most expensive actress in the history of  Hollywood.

Here is the link 41 million pounds works out to about 50 million USD. The premiums on a 50 million dollar policy for any 60 year old woman would have been high, add in her history and they must have been insanely high.

Yikes. Getting the insurance on Episode 9 is going to be a nightmare. I can't imagine what the hoops the insurance company will make everyone jump through before they provide the policies and the premiums they'll charge. 

17 hours ago, maraleia said:

The difference is Andy signed off on the re-cast and he wasn't defined by the role. Carrie on the other hand is and always will be. This is why everyone who loved Carrie is having such a hard time with her death and the impact it will have on episode nine.

Exactly.  How would you like to be the actress who has to take over the role from her?  Carrie's name is so inextricably linked to Princess Leia that not even Meryl Streep would be good enough in the fans' eyes to play the part.  And that's on top of the fact that fans generally hate recasts to start with.

• Love 4
32 minutes ago, legaleagle53 said:

How would you like to be the actress who has to take over the role from her?  Carrie's name is so inextricably linked to Princess Leia that not even Meryl Streep would be good enough in the fans' eyes to play the part.  And that's on top of the fact that fans generally hate recasts to start with.

See Second Becky on "Roseanne".

1 minute ago, Browncoat said:

Also the second Darrin on Bewitched.  Dick Sargent was actually the first choice to play Darrin, but he was unavailable at the time, so the show went with Dick York.  When Dick York was forced to quit due to ongoing health issues, Dick Sargent was available to take over the role -- and the viewers hated the recast for the most part (I was one of the few who actually liked him better).  Ironic, considering that he would have played Darrin all along if he'd been available when the part was first offered to him.

• Love 2

The only modern movie recast that has worked and generally been accepted i think is Mark Ruffalo taking over as the Hulk from Ed Norton. But even that is different because the Hulk in the MCU isn't really on the same level as Princess Leia. Plus people didn't really care for Norton.

And the reality is, recasting a middle aged guy in Hollywood gives you a lot more options than recasting a 60 year old woman. 

• Love 1
8 hours ago, ulkis said:

I think people though would be willing to give some leeway to imperfect CGI given the circumstances, and given the movie series. If one can lend a little imagination anywhere to help out, it's Star Wars.

There are going to be some people who will be okay with or have a problem with any solution, but I'm pretty sure just by nature of how people react to things, the least controversial solution with be the one that calls the least attention to itself. That's why recasting is not an option. As for CGI, I'd say it depends on how extensive the CGI recreation is. Is it just one scene where she just waves and smiles or something such? Or is it an actual speaking role, ala Grand Moff Tarkin, which would require another actress to provide the voice (convincingly imitating Carrie Fisher's older raspy voice while still giving a solid performance). A lot of people wouldn't even notice if they simply changed the story to fit the footage they've shot. 

6 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Luckily she got to be Elliot on Scrubs later. The second to last season of Roseanne where she alternated with original Becky was weird. Although the "Patty Duke Show" opening credits with both Lecy Goranson and Sarah Chalke was cute.

Also that just reminded me that Debbie Reynolds played Dan's mom in an episode written by Carrie where she tried to kill him. I totally forgot about that! Probably because I willed myself to forget that last season.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 2
On 12/30/2016 at 10:57 PM, Bruinsfan said:

On 12/31/2016 at 1:43 AM, maraleia said:

Plus they delayed Season 2 of Spartacus by a year or so to give Andy Whitfield a chance to recover while filming a prequel season.  I think that built up a lot of goodwill for Spartacus's producers.  But that's not an option here.

Not that I really have any dog in this hunt.  I would have been happy if the original Star Wars was the one and only film of the "series".

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Constantinople said:

Not that I really have any dog in this hunt.  I would have been happy if the original Star Wars was the one and only film of the "series".

Only if we could get the real original Star Wars, of course.  :)

19 hours ago, Ronin Jackson said:

As for CGI, I'd say it depends on how extensive the CGI recreation is. Is it just one scene where she just waves and smiles or something such? Or is it an actual speaking role, ala Grand Moff Tarkin, which would require another actress to provide the voice (convincingly imitating Carrie Fisher's older raspy voice while still giving a solid performance).

The big question is, what role will Leia play in Kylo Ren's arc. Redemption or not, she's his mother, and with Han gone, she and Luke are the only characters with a personal investment in Ben's outcome (that is until Rey's history is fully developed.) That's why, depending on how Episode 8 plays out, I can't see Leia's arc ending with a few smiling celebratory shots before she sped into the galactic sunset.

• Love 3
On 12/31/2016 at 7:50 PM, legaleagle53 said:

Also the second Darrin on Bewitched.  Dick Sargent was actually the first choice to play Darrin, but he was unavailable at the time, so the show went with Dick York.  When Dick York was forced to quit due to ongoing health issues, Dick Sargent was available to take over the role -- and the viewers hated the recast for the most part (I was one of the few who actually liked him better).  Ironic, considering that he would have played Darrin all along if he'd been available when the part was first offered to him.

I think only viewers AT THE TIME hated Sargent more. Subsequent generations, watching through reruns, I think have tended to be more pro-Sargent (although to be honest, at least in part because later audiences developed a color-TV bias, where they usually thought episodes of shows shot in both were better in their color episodes). 

On 1/1/2017 at 1:11 AM, VCRTracking said:

Luckily she got to be Elliot on Scrubs later.

Yeah. I think Sarah did pretty well for herself in the end.

10 hours ago, absnow54 said:

The big question is, what role will Leia play in Kylo Ren's arc. Redemption or not, she's his mother, and with Han gone, she and Luke are the only characters with a personal investment in Ben's outcome (that is until Rey's history is fully developed.) That's why, depending on how Episode 8 plays out, I can't see Leia's arc ending with a few smiling celebratory shots before she sped into the galactic sunset.

Mark Hamill seems very game (especially since he wasn't in Force Awakens at all), and I bet if they have to toss even more on him to cover for her absence in the final movie, he will be okay with it (that presumes he doesn't die in the one before that, of course). 

Edited by Kromm

I pretty much loved everything about The Force Awakens except for one scene, and now I'm even more upset Leia didn't hug Chewie.  It took me right out of the movie the first time I watched it and Leia went right to Rey, a girl she had barely met and who had only know Han Solo for a matter of days.   I believe that was an 'oops' on the part of the production but what I wouldn't give now to watch Chewie enveloping Leia in a great big hug.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Frost said:

I pretty much loved everything about The Force Awakens except for one scene, and now I'm even more upset Leia didn't hug Chewie.  

Maybe Chewie has held a 30 year grudge over not getting a medal at the end of the first movie.

• Love 4
16 hours ago, Frost said:

I pretty much loved everything about The Force Awakens except for one scene, and now I'm even more upset Leia didn't hug Chewie.  It took me right out of the movie the first time I watched it and Leia went right to Rey, a girl she had barely met and who had only know Han Solo for a matter of days.   I believe that was an 'oops' on the part of the production but what I wouldn't give now to watch Chewie enveloping Leia in a great big hug.

My canon is that neither could face the either because of Han's death.  Leia couldn't face Chewie because it was Han and Leia's son that killed Han.  Chewie couldn't face Leia because he couldn't stop Han from getting killed.  Both felt they let Han and the other down.

• Love 4
On 12/29/2016 at 8:31 PM, Bruinsfan said:

The "too much Vader in him" line was way too stupid for Leia to say, though. I'll bet she blames herself (and Han) for failings in Ben's upbringing rather than some mythical sins-of-the-fathers gene that skips generations.

Character-wise, it doesn't make sense to say that Kylo is like Vader, no matter who says it. Anakin Skywalker, maybe, but at his "best", Darth Vader is a genuinely scary badass, as was shown when he was taking no prisoners in Rogue One. Kylo may well be able to kick ass, but he's also more than a bit of a sniveler, IMO, and whatever failings Han (or Leia, for that matter) may have passed on to him, they also gave him a whole hell of a lot of advantages. Advantages that he proceeded to wipe his bottom with because he didn't have the moral character to be the kind of man his father was.

Re: Carrie Fisher/Leia - I just don't see how the franchise could manage to recast, and that's putting aside the fact that I wouldn't even want them to. As has been said, its such an iconic role with Fisher so intrinsically tied to it that I think it would be impossible to pull it off. Given the reactions to CGI!Leia in Rogue One, which actually was Fisher, I can just imagine the howls of protest if Disney or whoever tried to find someone to replace her due to these lousy real life circumstances.

• Love 1
18 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

He can always go back 20 years from now and make changes to the movie based on the technology available to him at the time. 

Hell, by then Disney will probably be able to do it with an update to the copies of the movie in our brain implants.

On 12/31/2016 at 9:37 PM, Kel Varnsen said:

The only modern movie recast that has worked and generally been accepted i think is Mark Ruffalo taking over as the Hulk from Ed Norton. But even that is different because the Hulk in the MCU isn't really on the same level as Princess Leia. Plus people didn't really care for Norton.

And the reality is, recasting a middle aged guy in Hollywood gives you a lot more options than recasting a 60 year old woman. 

That and a very long time had passed between movies (5-6 years IIRC), and it's not like anyone holds that Hulk movie up to high esteem in general.

I guess the only way it might have worked in the context of Star Wars is if Carrie Fisher had passed away prior to any sequels, and they cast someone to play an older Leia...which would have still pissed off fans. So there's not really a good answer to any recasting. 

3 hours ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

Character-wise, it doesn't make sense to say that Kylo is like Vader, no matter who says it. Anakin Skywalker, maybe, but at his "best", Darth Vader is a genuinely scary badass, as was shown when he was taking no prisoners in Rogue One. Kylo may well be able to kick ass, but he's also more than a bit of a sniveler, IMO, and whatever failings Han (or Leia, for that matter) may have passed on to him, they also gave him a whole hell of a lot of advantages. Advantages that he proceeded to wipe his bottom with because he didn't have the moral character to be the kind of man his father was.

Re: Carrie Fisher/Leia - I just don't see how the franchise could manage to recast, and that's putting aside the fact that I wouldn't even want them to. As has been said, its such an iconic role with Fisher so intrinsically tied to it that I think it would be impossible to pull it off. Given the reactions to CGI!Leia in Rogue One, which actually was Fisher, I can just imagine the howls of protest if Disney or whoever tried to find someone to replace her due to these lousy real life circumstances.

Lol there is too much spoiled brat in Kylo to be any way like Vader

As for Leia, just show her back / hands in episode IX and have her starship (or rebels base) blows up with her in it in the first 3 minutes of ep IX.  Problem solved. 

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, DarkRaichu said:

Lol there is too much spoiled brat in Kylo to be any way like Vader

This. I still laugh every time I see the temper tantrum Kylo threw in TFA. I just can't picture Vader ever acting like that. He was so controlled which is what made him so fucking scary. His tantrum would have been slicing heads off not trashing his room like a 10 year old.

• Love 6
3 minutes ago, Joe said:

He's more like Anakin than Vader.

Absolutely. I think if you ignore the prequels Kylo Ren is a kiss poor villain compared to Vader.

However, when you include Anakin, Kylo really didn't fall far from that tree.  Not that it's much of an excuse. I just think/hope that Episodes 8 and 9 will move Kylo Ren towards Vader.

Edited by Morrigan2575
59 minutes ago, DarkRaichu said:

But when Anakin threw tantrum a village of Sandpeople died.  Kylo broke a bunch of equipments :P

And somehow, Padme had no problem with Anakin slaughtering a village full of sandpeople.  Anakin and Padme are 2 of the most screwed up people in the Star Wars universe.

• Love 3

Woody Harrelson is in "early talks" to play a mentor-type character in the Han Solo spin-off.  I guess after Haymitch, Harrelson is going to be getting a lot of "crusty, snarky mentor" offers from big franchise.  Could be fun though.  Hey, maybe they'll get Matthew McConaughey too, and it get can be a True Detective-like mentorship, with Matthew's character talking a lot of gibberish to Han, while Woody just rolls his eyes, and tells Han not to listen to him. 

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, thuganomics85 said:

Woody Harrelson is in "early talks" to play a mentor-type character in the Han Solo spin-off.  I guess after Haymitch, Harrelson is going to be getting a lot of "crusty, snarky mentor" offers from big franchise.  Could be fun though.  Hey, maybe they'll get Matthew McConaughey too, and it get can be a True Detective-like mentorship, with Matthew's character talking a lot of gibberish to Han, while Woody just rolls his eyes, and tells Han not to listen to him. 

So that movie is being directed by Phil Lord and Christopher Miller right? I wonder what role Will Forte will be playing. I assume that Disney shut down having him play Han Solo.

I think Vader in Rogue satisfied both the fans who hate the prequels and pretend they don't exist, like the people who tweeted these:

if the prequels made u think vader was a punk...this is a reminder he's a murderous psychopath badass. it's really good man

In one scene Rogue One managed to return Darth Vader to the intergalactic badass we all know instead of the whiney teen from the prequels

HOLY SHIT just saw a Vader clip from Rogue One BADASS IS BACK makes me pissy about how badly Vader's backstory was handled in the 3 prequels

Rogue One is AWESOME. Welcome back to the badass Darth Vader, not the whiny emo from the prequels.

And those fans who accept the prequels and the problematic character of Anakin like those who made these Tumblr posts:

Hands down my favorite thing in Rogue One is Darth Vader’s private lava castle he built on the planet where he killed his wife and had his remaining limbs cut off by his former best friend. A castle he built to sulk in and be angry, built specifically on a planet to make him more angry. I bet he had it built on the exact spot where the duel ended just so he could go to the room at the top and scream about “WHO HAS THE HIGH GROUND NOW OBI-WAN?!” and then dramatically swoosh his cape as he walks through the smoke filled rooms. 

me, during Rogue One: which fuckin Drama Queen (TM) decided they wanted to be Extra and live in a fuckin lava castle just for the aesthe--

me: Anakin. Anakin would build a lava castle

I’m sorry guys but you can never be as extra and dramatic as Anakin Skywalker. The guy chose to live in the huge Dark Gothic Castle right beside the place where he almost killed his wife and where he was almost killed by his mentor. He probably spent his mornings on the balcony - watching the lava flow while listening to Lana Del Rey albums. He was that Extra™

Honestly Vader having a giant fucking mansion on a lava waterfall and then saying a fucking pun about choking is the most Anakin thing to have ever happened and I wish Obi Wan was there to see it. 

• Love 10