Type keyword(s) to search

The Star Wars Saga

Joe
  • Start Topic

You know, if it turns out that Woody Harrelson is playing Talon Karrde in the Han Solo movie, I'll be prepared to overlook my skepticism about the Han Solo movie.

• Love 1
39 minutes ago, starri said:

That just seems way too normal English to be a Star Wars name.

Spelled Bekkitt.... Maybe.

Honestly, I'm really just paying attention to Donald Glover as Lando, and intrigued by Emilia Clarke's role, which I really hope is villain, or at least fermme fatale.

I'm tearing up watching the Carrie Fisher tribute at Star Wars Celebration. Wish the livefeed hadn't lagged during her daughter Billie Lourd's speech.

Now John Williams and an orchestra is playing the Princess Leia theme. I'm done.

Here's the tribute video:

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 8

Just saw that today on Tumblr. So adorable.

This news is late

Star Wars boss Kathleen Kennedy clears up confusion about Han Solo’s name

Speaking at the University of Southern California, Iger said that fans would see how Han met ‘a certain Wookiee’ and ‘discover how he got his name.’

Fans took this as a suggestion that, after all this time, it would be revealed that Han Solo isn’t actually called Han Solo.

But Kennedy, president of Lucasfilm, has waded in to chill the fans out.

She told MTV: ‘There’s more to Han Solo’s name, but it’s not that it’s not his name. It’s obviously his name. It will always be his name.’

I'm glad that was cleared up. Probably what Iger meant was the film will show how Han got his name as a smuggler. How he got his rep.

A bit of a grumble. May 4 is just a dodgy attempt at a pun. The real Star Wars Day should be May 25, the day ANH came out. Wookieepedia has a list of things that happened on this day in SW history, but the more notable ones are only because of the date.

(edited)
On 5/2/2017 at 9:11 PM, Silver Raven said:

Somebody has taken the ENTIRE "Sergeant Pepper's" album , rewritten the lyrics, and set it to scenes of Star Wars Episode IV. "Luke is in the Desert Whining" had me laughing, and "He's Leaving Home" had me literally in tears.

Princess Leia's Stolen Death Star Plans

As both a big Beatles AND Star Wars fan I enjoyed that very much! A nice way to celebrate both the upcoming 50th anniversary of Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band and the 40th anniversary of the first Star Wars movie.

I love this part done to "Fixing a Hole"

Motti's not scared of his sorcerer's ways/But then he can't quite respirate/

It's a Force cho-oooh-oke!

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 1

A whole bunch of people named their sons Kylo. For a certain definition of bunch. I don't call 238 a large number. However, I approve.

Kylo Ren is a hero. He destroyed the capital of a hostile foreign power, then had to perform a battlefield execution of a known criminal. A smuggler of wild animals, one Han Solo. Yes, Solo was his father, but that just makes it more noble that he didn't let familial relation stand in the way of justice.

He was able to detain another enemy agent, Rey. Sadly, she escaped custody and stole a family heirloom in the process. At least he injured another of her associates and a deserter, FN-2187. Perhaps in his forthcoming movie, Good Riddance To Those Meddling Jedi, he can recover from his injuries, complete his training, and triumph once and for all.

• Love 2
(edited)

Woody Harrelson posted this pic of him and co-star Alden Ehrenreich(young Han Solo) with Woody's former Hunger Games co-star Jennifer Lawrence and director Frances Lawrence in London two days ago. I like Alden's Han hair:

Edited by VCRTracking

I never enjoyed ANY of the sequels as much as the OG, but wow, what could top the moment in 1977 when the 20th Century Fox logo and theme came up, then "A Long Time Ago in a Galaxy Far, Far Away" and John Williams' score. No better movie moment, probably ever.

• Love 2

Man. Clapping at the cinema? It seems to happen a lot in these reaction videos, but I have never once experienced it myself. Not even when seeing The Fellowship of the Ring, which is perhaps the most wondrous movie I've seen on the big screen (for anyone who was a fan of the books).

Still, cool video. Star Wars really was something brand new, in cinema. Those effects were groundbreaking, while the story was guaranteed to have mass appeal.

• Love 1
55 minutes ago, Danny Franks said:

Clapping at the cinema? It seems to happen a lot in these reaction videos, but I have never once experienced it myself.

Loudest applause I've ever heard in a movie theater was for "NOT MY DAUGHTER, YOU BITCH!" from Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.

I...uh...may have contributed to it myself.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

Man. Clapping at the cinema? It seems to happen a lot in these reaction videos, but I have never once experienced it myself.

It depends on when and what for me.  None of the theaters near me do midnight shows anymore (Thursday is the new Sneak Preview and allows us to get some sleep) but, when they did, there was always clapping at key moments and the end.  The most devoted fans would go to at midnight so that makes sense.  A sister of a friend told me that her New York theater gave Phantom Menace a standing ovation when Anakin and Obi-won met but that everyone was pretty chill with the clapping during Force Awakens and Rogue One.  I remember The Dark Night got a huge reaction to the pencil scene and applause at the end when I saw it at midnight and again the next day at an evening show.  Meanwhile Get Out was one of the most involved audiences I've ever been a part of, with reactions throughout (in a good way) and huge applause at the end and this was for a late afternoon show. 

So, to sum up, I'd say that midnight shows are most likely to get reactions throughout the showing.  After that it really just depends on the movie. 

(edited)

Sure it would have made Padme strong and badass but it also would have given Anakin a reason for Force choking her. She had a knife at his throat!

Found this recently.

I agree completely with Sam Witwer. As I get older the Luke and Vader scenes resonate more with me. When Luke says "I'll not leave you here, I've got to save you." and unmasked Anakin says "You already have." I tear up.

Edited by VCRTracking

I think that Padme going to kill Anakin would be a weird character beat. I mean, he's the guy she's been in love with for years, her husband, the father of the kids she's pregnant with. I think that her showing up and trying to reach/reason with him makes a lot more sense for her character.

I mean, yeah, Anakin himself goes from, "I need to save Padme!" to "Oh, you don't actually know how to save Padme, but you want me to go murder a bunch of kids? Sure." Really, really fast. But I don't think that it would have fixed or helped to have her go straight to kill mode, it would just make yet another part of the situation move along way too fast because George decided to try to fit that entire arc into 30 minutes or so of screen time.

Which actually speaks to the biggest problem of the prequels, IMO. That they started with the wrong movie and wasted 1 of the 3 films in the trilogy of the rise and fall of Anakin Skywalker with Anakin as a little kid who doesn't do much of anything except serve as a sort of side quest for the main protagonists, and this resulted in Lucas trying to squeeze 2 movies worth of plot into Episode III.

• Love 1

As much as I like the Qui-Gon character, having him be the one who found and championed Anakin in Episode 1 forced GL to play catch-up with the Anakin and Obi-Wan relationship in the next two movies.  He did a lousy job with them in Episode 2 which even he realized (he added the introductory elevator scene between the two in post-production to show that they were actually friend).  I thought he did a better job with Episode 3 but it was still too late and too little.

As for Padme, I never thought GL would give her such a weak and demeaning death as "died from a broken heart" but man was I wrong.  If Padme had been seriously injured and the grief of what had happened with Anakin had been a contributing factor, I could have accepted that.  But it's established there's nothing wrong with her, so she loses the will to live despite having two newborn children because she's upset about the guy who tried to choke her to death.  This is a strong character?

• Love 3

I remember I used to call the Phantom Menace the Phantom Movie.  I watched the anti-cheese edit of it a few months back on Youtube.  Despite everything the guy did, like taking out most of Jar-Jar Binks, making the trade federation more menacing, and so on (although he left it in, I would have taken out the pod-racing scene) the movie is still not good.  The whole thing could have been condensed to about twenty minutes and added to one of the others.

I don't think Lucas ever really knew how to handle Padme.  She had be a major part of Anakin's life, and she had to be absent from Luke and Leia's.  But Anakin was a kid when she met him in Episode One, so their whole love story is thrown into Episode Two and then she had to give birth to Luke and Leia and step off the canvas in Episode Three.  Like all the Prequels, the idea was there, but the execution was lacking.

I always thought she could have lived a little longer, since in ROTJ Leia said her mother died when she was very young.  That would have been a far more interesting version: Padme lives under the protection of Bail Organa before she dies, when Leia was still a baby.  Here she would have been a possibility to turn Anakin away from the dark side and Palpatine would have never have stopped trying to kill her.    Hell, they could have gotten a whole 'nother prequel out of it.

• Love 6
(edited)
9 hours ago, Lugal said:

I remember I used to call the Phantom Menace the Phantom Movie.  I watched the anti-cheese edit of it a few months back on Youtube.  Despite everything the guy did, like taking out most of Jar-Jar Binks, making the trade federation more menacing, and so on (although he left it in, I would have taken out the pod-racing scene) the movie is still not good.  The whole thing could have been condensed to about twenty minutes and added to one of the others.

IMO the only thing from TPM that actually needed to be shown on screen was the Qui Gon/Obi Wan v. Maul duel, ending with Ben promising a dying Qui Gon that he'll train Anakin. It should be the opening scene of Episode I, or at least the end of the 1st act, not the climax of the film.

16 hours ago, benteen said:

As for Padme, I never thought GL would give her such a weak and demeaning death as "died from a broken heart" but man was I wrong.  If Padme had been seriously injured and the grief of what had happened with Anakin had been a contributing factor, I could have accepted that.  But it's established there's nothing wrong with her, so she loses the will to live despite having two newborn children because she's upset about the guy who tried to choke her to death.  This is a strong character?

There's an interesting (to me, anyway) fan theory that, much as Luke and Leia were shown to share a connection through the force at the end of Empire, Anakin and Padme also had a connection through the force.

So when Anakin was burning/dying on Mustafar he reached out (perhaps without actually intending to do so) as a sort of dark side survival instinct through that connection and literally pulled the life out of Padme and into himself, which is how he survived until Palpy found him. So when Palpy tells Vader that he killed Padme, he was actually stating the truth. Droids and medical machines have no way to detect or combat that, so they read her as being physically fine but dying anyway.

9 hours ago, Lugal said:

I always thought she could have lived a little longer, since in ROTJ Leia said her mother died when she was very young.  That would have been a far more interesting version: Padme lives under the protection of Bail Organa before she dies, when Leia was still a baby.  Here she would have been a possibility to turn Anakin away from the dark side and Palpatine would have never have stopped trying to kill her.    Hell, they could have gotten a whole 'nother prequel out of it.

I know it's somewhat questionable to match up with RotJ, but my preferred dramatically ironic fate for Padme would be that she goes into hiding with the Organa family as a servant and teacher for Bail's 'daughter' ... and actually survives until Tarkin, Vader, and the Death Star blow up the planet in ANH.

Edited by Perfect Xero
(edited)

Rereading the first Harry Potter book(Sorcerer's Stone in the US, Philosopher's Stone in the UK) recently I'm amazed how many things are casually mentioned that would pay off later, but most of actual plot doesn't. Like there's no reason for Harry to be a great Quidditch seeker in the overall big picture. I mean JK Rowling could have put the Resurrection Stone in something else besides a golden snitch.

Quirrel

is basically Darth Maul, the henchman working for the main villain to be killed at the end.

Edited by VCRTracking
(edited)
19 hours ago, Perfect Xero said:

There's an interesting (to me, anyway) fan theory that, much as Luke and Leia were shown to share a connection through the force at the end of Empire, Anakin and Padme also had a connection through the force.

So when Anakin was burning/dying on Mustafar he reached out (perhaps without actually intending to do so) as a sort of dark side survival instinct through that connection and literally pulled the life out of Padme and into himself, which is how he survived until Palpy found him. So when Palpy tells Vader that he killed Padme, he was actually stating the truth. Droids and medical machines have no way to detect or combat that, so they read her as being physically fine but dying anyway.

I've heard that theory about Anakin and Padme being so connected that it resulted in her death.  While not ideal, it would still be an improvement over "she lost the will to live."

One of GL's issues as a filmmaker is that he won't be held down by continuity, even his own.  Leia remembers Padme and says she died when she was very young.  In The Annotated Screenplays, GL specifically says that this refers to Luke and Leia's mother (it was released in 1997 so the name Padme wasn't revealed yet).  He wanted one of them to have a memory of their mother.  But GL will not even allow himself to held accountable by his own continuity.

Edited by benteen