Type keyword(s) to search

Doctor Strange (2016)

DollEyes
  • Start Topic

(edited)
23 minutes ago, Zuleikha said:

Ming-Na Wen is already in the Marvel universe. She's Agent May on Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. So she's not available to be the Ancient One (although I'd LOVE her to get a cameo or actual role in one of the movies!). But yes, getting a Chinese or Japanese name actor or Asian-American actor (such as Daniel Dae Kim or Maggie Q) would have been less problematic. Or a non-white actress since the MCU has no significant female roles of color. It's not like they needed someone with Tilda Swinton's name recognition.

Basically, they had a lot of options for how to handle the Ancient One and while they didn't choose the absolute worse, there were certainly better ones.

Yeah, even at it's worst, we have to admit the TV-U still counts, even if the Movie half doesn't like to admit it.

Maggie Q is an interesting idea. If the whole reason was some bizarre don't put a stereotype in there thing (not that I really think that was it, or all of it), then she's an interesting compromise--an Asian who doesn't look Asian (because she's mixed race--although they've already done this with Chloe Bennet). Lets face it though... she's not a movie star.

The more I think about it the more I think this was a combination of them pro-actively (unasked) wanting to protect their relationship with China, but also some studio exec wanting another trendy well known movie actor--an English actor to boot--to ride alongside Benedict Cumberbatch on the posters. We have all of these great suggestions (I still think Jackie Chan could have been awesome), but Kenneth Branagh helped convince the Marvel crowd (or Disney after the fact) that if you make it seem English, it comes off as Shakespearean, and thus "quality".  It may be as simple as that (along with those notes of panicking over what China might or might not think, just because it USED to be Tibet, and it likely would become a ride or exhibit in two of their Disneylands). 

Edited by Kromm

Since they moved the location to Nepal, I always thought that Amitabh Bachchan would have been an interesting choice.  Hell, it would have been fun to hear him and Cumberbatch run lines together.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, romantic idiot said:

And now I will always mourn that they didn't use the Big B. That would have given them a billion viewers in Asia easy. 

The Who What?

The race-bending aside, I'm suddenly a lot more excited for this.  Whatever Marvel Studios' other tropes, the way they're able to take different styles of film (WWII story, heist movie, spy movie, etc) and wrap a superhero into it is a big strength of theirs.

The good: the Asian guy they DO give us, despite traditionally being that Manservant type character, is portrayed with no servility.

The bad: they really can't get around the whole Tilda thing no matter what they do.

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, Bruinsfan said:

Man, I hope Mads Mikkelsen isn't playing Dormammu, that look is just so wrong for him.

He's not. They revealed a while ago that he's playing a character named Kaecilius, who's apparently associated with Baron Mordo. Who's also in this film. so it does line up.

12 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I'm just not feeling it. It's odd, I was really excited for the movie when it was announced but, so far the trailers haven't hooked me.

Same here. Magic + Marvel should make this one of my must-sees of the year, but I think I'm just getting burned out with origin stories? I'm still in it for Mads and the visuals, but I have to keep reminding myself when it's even coming out.

1 hour ago, coppersin said:

Same here. Magic + Marvel should make this one of my must-sees of the year, but I think I'm just getting burned out with origin stories? I'm still in it for Mads and the visuals, but I have to keep reminding myself when it's even coming out.

To be fair, it looks like it might be a split timeline here. A first part of the movie with the origin and a later part where he's trained/established (although one presumes still secret from the Marvel heroes). I draw this conclusion from the fact that Strange doesn't even make sense in a New York environment until he's mastered his powers. 

23 hours ago, Kromm said:

He's not. They revealed a while ago that he's playing a character named Kaecilius, who's apparently associated with Baron Mordo. Who's also in this film. so it does line up.

Ah, thank you for putting my mind at ease. I wonder if the people with him in the trailer are Adria and Demonicus, then?

I'm refusing to watch any more trailers or clips from the movie. I don't like Cumberbatch or Doctor Strange (I don't dislike Strange either, I'm rather indifferent) but it looks like the movie will be important to the overall Marvel universe so I want to see it and I think I'll be more receptive to it if I can immerse myself in the experience without having seen half the movie in trailers and various clips.

• Love 2

I'm unsure about this one only because I like the humor in the movies and, with the exception of the "wifi password" moment, the trailers have been so serious that I'm afraid of being bored (and I understand that it will be my fault for going in with those expectations).  However, because it's Marvel and I have yet to be really let down by one and because I'm fascinated by the special effects in the trailers, I'm going to see it.  In fact, as one who usually refuses to pay extra money for 3-D, with a few, rare exceptions, I can't wait to see this one in 3-D. 

I'm a fan of Benedict Cumberbatch so I'm fairly excited for this although I don't know much about Doctor Strange. Even if BC wasn't playing him, I'd probably still go see it because at this point I'm pretty much Marvel's bitch. The special effects look like they're going to be SICK. 

• Love 3
24 minutes ago, JustaPerson said:

I'm a fan of Benedict Cumberbatch so I'm fairly excited for this although I don't know much about Doctor Strange. Even if BC wasn't playing him, I'd probably still go see it because at this point I'm pretty much Marvel's bitch. The special effects look like they're going to be SICK. 

If you ever read comics, there's a newish Dr. Strange series running right now from writer Jason Aaron and one of my all-time favorite artists Chris Bachalo.  It's a great jumping-on point if you're interested.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, JustaPerson said:

I am a fan of Cumberbatch, Dr. Strange, and Marvel movies in general, so I am looking forward to this one.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, starri said:

If you ever read comics, there's a newish Dr. Strange series running right now from writer Jason Aaron and one of my all-time favorite artists Chris Bachalo.  It's a great jumping-on point if you're interested.

Oh wow, Bachalo? He's PERFECT for Doctor Strange. His run on Generation X is one of my favorites.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, JustaPerson said:

This is the only superhero movie that has excited me this year. 

I'm not a big fan of 3D either but I think I will try it for this. 

Did anyone here go to the 15 minute screening on October 10th? I had tickets but had family stuff come up so couldn't go. People were raving about the footage on Twitter, and saying it really is a movie to see in 3D.

Digging the new Doctor Strange trailer. Then again, I'm a Cumberbabe, so I'm biased. As for the controversy about Tilda Swinton playing The Ancient One, while ITA that more Asian actors should play more roles, I plan to see her performance for myself and judge it on its own merits. 

Benedict Cumberbatch is hosting the November 5th episode of SNL.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, JustaPerson said:

There are some early reviews on RT right now and it's 21-1 for fresh (95%). Looking good! The critics are earning those Marvel bribes ;)

Rotten Tomatoes is rigged. Everyone knows the mainsteam media has a clear Marvel bias. Sad!

• Love 6
(edited)
13 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

Rotten Tomatoes is rigged. Everyone knows the mainsteam media has a clear Marvel bias. Sad!

I'll only see it if it wins at the box office. 

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 1

I have normally no interest in superheroes or this kind of action film, but I got dragged into the movie and thus saw it yesterday night. The first 30 minutes or so of the movie could have been cut (or moved as flashbacks), but otherwise I guess it's a really solid movie. I will never understand the hype for such movies that don't really tackle big questions, but I guess it's good plain entertainment. But I was always trying to laugh at different times than the rest of the room. My humour is more absurdist it seems. And the movie definitely counts on its flat, but not cheap jokes which land. On Tilda Swinton, seeing as the character arc is so tropey, an old Asian man wouldn't have worked for me, but that of course doesn't mean they have to cast someone white...

Bought my tickets for Saturday.  I don't normally see that many movies in the theater, but this year it's been Civil War, Star Trek Beyond, Ghostbusters, this, probably Fantastic Beasts and definitely Rogue One.

I do watch stuff that's not like this, I swear.

• Love 2

It has been a common criticism of the Marvel Cinematic Universe that they lack aesthetic distinctiveness in any artistically interesting way. While I would argue this has been only variably true, it is certainly the case that there is a house style (something like Guardians of the Galaxy aside). Doctor Strange is the antidote to such concerns, a blast of dazzling and imaginative visuals of a sort quite uncommon in recent blockbusters. Steve Ditko is probably too busy scribbling Randian Objectivist tracts on his office walls to go see this movie, but were he to do so, I suspect he would be pleased at the extent to which the filmmakers succeed at conveying the spirit of his very imaginative 1960s artwork for the character.

On the story front, there's a lot here that is fairly generic. Rachel McAdams, while game for some comedy scenes that play well, is overall stranded in a bland part that barely feels like she has any reason to be in the story (indeed, the movie doesn't even bother to return to her after the main action has wrapped up). The other actors fare better, and Chiwetel Ejiofor actually offers the promise of a morally complex and interesting MCU villain, something we've been repeatedly teased with over the years without much success. Cumberbatch is solid as the title character. Tilda Swinton should not have been cast to play the Ancient One, being as she is, succinctly, not the correct race, but she's very good onscreen, and has at least one moment that manages to be genuinely emotionally moving. Mads Mikkelson, as the villain, brings a nice comic touch to many of his scenes, and sincerity to his motivations, even if the character is overall no more memorable than most MCU villains.

• Love 5

Just saw this and really enjoyed it. Thought it was a good introduction to the character and had it's own unique vibe. It had impressive imagery and even some creepy vibes at times(the astral projection while Christine was helping him when he was stabbed). I also thought they did good at making him likable and someone to root for when he could be an arrogant a-hole at times, even worse then Tony Stark. Tony was never as condescending or heartless as he was. During the argument  with Christine after his accident he was totally unlikable. However in the end he was someone to root for.

Did we get a Rhody shoutout with the calls about potential patients he was taking before his crash? It went fast, but I thought I heard one described as an ingured Air Force cornel and metal exoskeleton?

• Love 4

I just got back from it and thought it was great.  Trippy story with a fantastic cast.  Cumberbatch in particular is GREAT as Strange and I think he'll be an even bigger star after this.

On a sidenote, Cumberbatch's American accent reminds me of Kelsey Grammer.

Mikkelson was definitely a step above the usual Marvel villain.  He really rose above the material for his character.

Edited by benteen
  • Love 3

Just got back from it, and it was really good.

Cumberbatch was excellent, as were Eijofor and Swinton, and the score my goodness the score, Giacchino delivered again.  I can't wait to hear what Giacchino has in store for Rogue One.

• Love 3

Really liked the look at Mystical/Magic 'section' of the Marvel universe. Really enjoyed all the character interactions and definitely dig Stephen and Christine as a couple more than say Thor and Jane.

Mads was a great villain and provided a nice warped mirror for Stephen to see the man he could've been if he had gone really dark ( even had his own jaded words about insignificant specks) thrown back in his face. Kinda bummed he can't be recurring but given who is next at bat as Stephen's antagonist it's a decent trade.

The Ancient One was definitely complicated and showed how the best of intentions can still lead to dark consequences. 

Agreed that Ejiofor was set up nicely as a subsequent villain. His actions in the final credit scene were truly ruthless and sad. You'd have thought that because thr guy didn't want to try to rule the world and just go home and live his life that he wouldn't be seen as a threat but nope. That very black and white thinking doesn't allow for it.

And I very much appreciated the heaviness Stephen showed when looking upon the dead body of the henchman and the resentment he felt being out in that position and taking a life. And even after Mordo tried to goad him that one must fight to the death, Stephen was adamant there is always another way. He'll bind you to an eternal time loop before he'll kill you. 

In the first credit scene I very much appreciated Stephen sitting Thor down, loosening his lips with libations, and talking to him and the two exchanging information instead of Stephen attacking Thor and Thor fighting back. Stephen clearly laid out that he was THE guy protecting Earth from mystical threats, Loki fits that description, and he wanted him off Earth, ASAP so how could he help make that happen? 

One scene that I really wanted to slap Stephen? When he was running in the rain to the library with old ancient texts in his arms without having properly wrapped them in something propective. 

• Love 9

I saw this in 3D which made the effects astounding! I really liked the sly humor. My heart broke for Stephen after his accident. looking at his hands. I thought it was interesting where the movie ended. His hands aren't 100% and he isn't full-blown Sorcerer Supreme. The Eye of Agamotto scene with his figuring out spells was my favorite scene. I was half excited for him and half worried. 

• Love 2

Have no knowledge of any of Doctor Strange's comic backstory and whatnot, so this was an interesting introduction to the character.  He reminded me at first of an even more arrogant and less funny Tony Stark, but I kind of like that the film was willing to make him be an almost completely unlikable dick at first.  And they did a solid enough job making him slowly change and become a better man at the end, so in the end, he was a worthy enough of being a hero.

Overall, a few minor nitpicks, but I thought this was one of the better origin stories recently.  It followed a lot of the Marvel formula (both good and bad), but the magic, the "astral body" stuff and other dimensions, gave it a new flavor, and the visual effects and action scenes were spectacular. It was even worthy of 3D, and not just another cash-grab.  It was like they crossed Inception with The Matrix, and I never knew I wanted that until now.

I know Benedict Cumberbatch isn't for everyone (I like him fine; I have more issues with some of his overzealous fans), but I thought he was the perfect choice for Strange.  He nailed down the arrogance and prickly behavior (I'm sure he can thank his stint on Sherlock for making him excel at that), but also his doubt the more it went on, and then him finally making a stand.  I also liked that the more the film went on, the funnier he became.  I definitely was amused at all of his failed attempts to make Wong laugh.  I'm already looking forward to seeing where they go next with his character and he will fit in with the rest of the Marvel Universe and characters (at least we got a sample sampling in the credits!)

Tilda Swinton was the other main highlight, although hearing that her character was based of one of Asian descent, certainly isn't good to hear.  I wish they just had her play someone else instead of whitewashing a character like that.  That said, I still thought Swinton pretty much nailed everything she was getting, and I can certainly buy her as someone who is almost unworldly, mysterious, and multi-dimensional.  The interactions between her and Strange were the highlight.  I did suspect she wouldn't be long for this world, but she left an impression.

They really did stack the cast and they shine, even if I felt like some of them were wasted.  Mondo is obviously being set up for more later on, but Chiwetel Ejiofor still brought it as always, as did Benedict Wong, who is slowly becoming one of those actors I want to be in everything.  Rachel McAdams was charming as ever, even if I never felt like Christine move past the normal love interest (kind of, I guess?) character.  Didn't know Michael Stuhlbarg was going to be in this, which made me both happy and sad, because yay, it's Michael Stuhlbarg.  But, no, he's just another doctor, when he could so be a future villain in this universe.  He was Arnold Rothstein for goodness sakes!

As for Marvel's infamous villain problem..... well, motivation and storyline wise, they still seem to be struggling with this, but at least they finally found an actor who can rise above some cliched writing and tropes.  Kaecilius is likely going to be my second favorite Marvel film villain alone, simply because of Mads Mikkelson's performance.  Perfectly sinister, but he was surprisingly funny (some of his moments totally reminded me of Mads' Hannibal Lector), and he at least left an impression after the film ended.  I still wish Marvel would get it together on this front, but at least they wisely got Mads for this.  Hopefully this and Rogue One will give him the exposure he deserves.

I actually had a problem with the music at times, because it felt like it was too similar to Giacchino's work on the Star Trek films.  Kept waiting for either Kirk or Spock to show up.

I did like how the big bad was defeated: not by force or power.  Just by annoying him to the point that he took his ball (or, in this case, underlings), and went home.  Ha!

I'm curious to see how this does.  My theater was pretty packed, and I heard at least one person say that they normally don't care for these types of films, but were seeing it for Cumberbatch.  The mixture and audience for this film could be interesting.

• Love 6

As for Marvel's infamous villain problem..... well, motivation and storyline wise, they still seem to be struggling with this, but at least they finally found an actor who can rise above some cliched writing and tropes.  Kaecilius is likely going to be my second favorite Marvel film villain alone, simply because of Mads Mikkelson's performance.  Perfectly sinister, but he was surprisingly funny (some of his moments totally reminded me of Mads' Hannibal Lector), and he at least left an impression after the film ended.  I still wish Marvel would get it together on this front, but at least they wisely got Mads for this.  Hopefully this and Rogue One will give him the exposure he deserves.

Yes, definitely this.  The success of the villain here has everything to do with Mads performance and nothing to do with the script.  I really liked his conversation with Cumberbatch at the sanctum. 

• Love 4