Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E23: PrideBites, TROBO, NoPhone, Coolbox

yeswedo
  • Start Topic

Two former advertising guys try to sell the Sharks a cure for cell-phone addiction; emotions rise when entrepreneurs talk about the inspiration behind their wireless cuddly toy that tells science and math stories to children; two pet lovers design and customize accessories for the most important member of the family: your one-of-a-kind pet; and two men hope they can lock up an investment deal with their high-tech “smart” tool box. Also, Lori Greiner takes 10 of her entrepreneurs — whose combined sales now total $188 million — to the Orgill Trade Show in Orlando, Florida.
(edited)

The Coolbox was worse than the NoPhone. You can buy a DeWalt battery charger/radio that has outlets and an aux in for $80 less. And it charges batteries! Another $20 for an equivalent toolbox and you've got the same functionality (more, even) from a respected brand for 75% of the price. Yet, people on Twitter seemed to think it was great. I don't get it.

Edited by A1Jackass
(edited)

The beard mesmerized me. I'm a sucker for a bearded dude. He talked and acted like he's been mainlining Adderall, though. It seems like all that tech gear on/in a toolbox used on a jobsite daily would break pretty quickly.

The robot stuffed animal/app combo bugs me. I resent yet another outfit trying to assuage parents into letting young children to use tablets and smart phones instead of reading actual books and/or playing games and/or using tactile/fine motor skills to play and learn. Kids have a lifetime of technology just waiting be crammed down their throats. Maybe let them be babies and toddlers first.

No thank you to the chintzy made-in-Taiwan dog toys.

And feh to an $18 pocket mirror.

Edited by bilgistic
  • Love 7

The robot stuffed animal/app combo bugs me. I resent yet another outfit trying to assuage parents into letting young children to use tablets and smart phones instead of reading actual books and/or playing games and/or using tactile/fine motor skills to play and learn. Kids have a lifetime of technology just waiting be crammed down their throats. Maybe let them be babies and toddlers first.

I couldn't agree more.  That thing really bothered - especially that robotic voice.  I can't imagine any kid wanting to listen to that.

I thought the no-phone thing was a joke, too, although I really liked the guys.  I guess I can see it as a gag gift - there are a number of people I would give it to! 

(edited)

My thoughts on the toolbox were 1) I've never seen a handyman, contractor, etc. so organized that all those add-ons would actually get used in the course of a workday, and 2) the tech gizmos would break or become caked with dust, dirt and grease really quickly, rendering the super expensive toolbox into...just a toolbox. The people who might actually buy that thing are the weekend warriors, the folks who very slowly, neatly and methodically tackle projects in their own home, using their iPads to watch YouTube videos that teach them how to kinda sorta accomplish the task at hand. I can't see real workers for whom time is money bothering with all those bells and whistles.

I, too, am sick of seeing technology pushed on even the smallest of children. Every time I see new "toys of the year" featured on talk shows I'm dismayed that the vast majority of them involve the kid pressing a button and then just watching while the toy does its thing. Granted this had an interactive element, but so does sitting down with your kid, reading with them, and asking them questions. I didn't get Robert's interest in getting this in front of DreamWorks, because Kevin was right: it's just an online game/app that pairs with a bluetooth speaker inside a stuffed animal. If that's a product DreamWorks wants out there, they don't need these guys. And the guys comparing their simple idea to the groundbreaking (in its day) Teddy Ruxpin was beyond lame, and I'm glad they got called out on it.

The Pet Rock made millions because it was beyond ridiculous and rocks are free. I really can't get behind manufacturing more plastic to be added to our landfills (which would happen shortly after you open your gag gift, because really, it's only entertaining for the split second you open it, if that, and then it's beyond useless) just to make the point that we spend too damn much time staring at our phones.

Edited by designing1
  • Love 5

I loved how when Lori was trying to make a power move against Robert (and a good negotiation by him) and Kevin was all "I'll go in with Robert" and then she immediately jumped in to agree to the deal. I don't know why she is always called the Queen of QVC as there are many people who are featured much more than she is (she represents just a small percentage of their product lines). I think that she often has good advice and ideas, but she usually seems to buy in to her self-proclaimed title way too much.

Anyway, even though I didn't necessarily like the products all that much, I was glad that Robert got a couple of deals.

• Love 3
(edited)

My "pet" peeve: Someone referring to exclusively dog products as the "pet market." #catsarepetstoo

And those guys bugged me so much -- trying to Jedi Mind trick the sharks? "$300,000 for 20%, $300,000 for 20%, $300,000 for 20%." I'm annoyed they got a deal with two sharks, basically getting the exact money they wanted and the percentage of equity (per shark) they wanted. Here's hoping Lori makes them put Scrub Daddy logos all over their squeaky toys.

Next week's preview:

Yay, Ashton Kutcher is back! I'm just UBER-excited it's not the other guy. ;)

Edited by Eolivet
  • Love 5

"Robert, before you say anything, let me tell you about my tough childhood".  Even if I liked their product, which I didn't, I would hate it after that story.  I can't believe they get away with that crap.  Tell me about your product and nothing else.  Frustrating, for me at least.

Totally agree about not needing to add more plastic to our land fills. Who are these people that are paying $18 for a piece of plastic?  They obviously have too much money.

• Love 8

Trobo was a cheap knock off of a dead end tech toy from 30 years ago (Teddy Ruxpin). Robert was wise to make the deal contingent on a license with Dreamworks, because those guys will turn it down flat and get him off the hook.

No Phone is one of those gag gifts that makes fun of the person you give it to. "Here's methadone for your phone addiction, you loser." One of the reasons the Pet Rock was successful (I think) is that it wasn't about that kind of message. It was a joke first and foremost. It could tie into something specific about the recipient such as "you don't want a pet" or "you have too small an apartment for a pet", but those aren't necessarily criticisms, just quirks.

I'm not big on integrated stuff like the tool box. As each individual feature breaks, or proves to be not that useful, the value of the whole package goes down. Also, I would worry about the weight all that stuff is adding. And you wouldn't want to get it near water. The one thing I liked was the magnetic lid, but I think the top is the wrong place for it. You wouldn't want to have to keep closing the toolbox just to put a screw on the magnetic part.

I don't know why she is always called the Queen of QVC as there are many people who are featured much more than she is (she represents just a small percentage of their product lines). I think that she often has good advice and ideas, but she usually seems to buy in to her self-proclaimed title way too much.

If Kevin can call himself "Mr. Wonderful" then I think any of the other sharks can call themselves whatever they want. :-) 

• Love 1

Robert was wise to make the deal contingent on a license with Dreamworks, because those guys will turn it down flat and get him off the hook.

What I didn't understand was why bother to make the deal at all? He has to know the contingency won't pan out; why bother contacting DreamWorks and putting together even a rudimentary presentation for them when it will all be for naught? Just to make a deal (he seems to get shut out of so many) and mention your connection with DreamWorks on TV? Because he liked the guy's sob story?

I wonder how far in advance these pitches are taped, because Robert's hair has been super short cropped and graying at the temples since the beginning of the year. That obviously dyed bark brown is so jarring.

• Love 3

Honestly, if Mark's rant about his well-known hatred of patent trolls had ended up with him getting out of his seat and tearing out one of those guys' jugulars with his teeth, I would have been totally okay with it.  That was just the most obnoxious presentation we've had in a long, long time.

My entire generation was scarred by Teddy Ruxpin's location deep, deep, deep in the Uncanny Valley, and I also don't know how appealing to some toy that was an inexplicable hit 30 years ago is that strong an argument in favor of TROBO.  And like everyone, I still don't understand why the inventors think their battle with cancer/loss of a child/abandonment on Jakku is a feature of the product/service.  Okay, so you've triumphed over adversity.  That's awesome.  But that doesn't make your stupid Bluetooth speaker in a stuffed animal an investible business.

Coolbox seemed like the lumbosexual answer to the man-bunned USB-charging suitcase from a few months ago.  These are all useful products, but making them into a chimera doesn't really serve that useful of a purpose to me.  It's a thing we can do now.  Great.  "Because it is there" is not sufficient reason for climbing the mountain.

• Love 4

Calling the NoPhone a "cure" for phone addiction was quite the misnomer. It's yet another piece of future landfill fodder.

How about an app that locks you put of your phone for x amount of time, like the concept behind those timed snack containers? That's more along the line of a "cure". There's also self-control, but humanity in general isn't so keen on that.

• Love 7

"It's not essentially nothing, it is nothing!"

Not sure what the difference is there, Kevin.

I'm so sick of all these normal, everyday products that have a USB charger and some speakers stuck on them, and people act like they're revolutionary. Why would I need my ipad plugged into my toolbox? Why would I need any of that stuff? I get playing music from your device, but there are simpler ways to do that, and I would be able to save money and buy a real toolbox instead.

I know NoPhone is supposed to be a joke, but conceptually it makes no sense. People are addicted to their phones and stare at them too much...so let's make a fake phone? How does that make sense? I thought they were gonna come in with some kind of "cure" for phone addiction that would disincentivize people to stare at their phones. Are they saying that you should stare at a fake phone instead? What the hell is the punchline?? I have no problems with gag gifts, but it has to make sense. 

• Love 6

I wonder how far in advance these pitches are taped, because Robert's hair has been super short cropped and graying at the temples since the beginning of the year. That obviously dyed bark brown is so jarring.

One of the pitches was probably in July of last year based on the manufacturing time frame they discussed. Keep in mind the pitches in an episode don't always get filmed at the same time.

Thank you for mentioning the worst aspect of the "talking murder doll". I couldn't understand why none of The Sharks pointed out how very creepy the voice was. Calling it a robot may be honest, at least, but who would want to listen to it? Totally agree with all of the comments on enough with the letting of iPads entertain your children. I love me my gadgets, but kids need to learn to play on their own or, you know, interact with their parents occasionally. Otherwise, your child might grow up and buy a No Phone.

• Love 1

I have a former friend who bought a Kindle for her then-three-year-old son so she "wouldn't have to read to him". No lie. (This is not why she's my former friend.) I guess the same could be said of television back in the day (don't leave your kids in front of a screen), as it was my babysitter, and it's the reason I'm at Previously.tv now. However, there was no tech cabal pushing my mother to buy stuff that made me watch more TV and be more "interactive" with it, unless you count Bill Cosby and his Picture Pages, and, well, we know how that turned out.

• Love 3

I guess the Sharks thought the voice was an easily changeable thing. I don't remember much about that pitch other than the voice - none of the pitches held my interest, actually.

The Nophone was indeed beyond stupid. It was not an alternative to being transfixed by your smart phone.

I agree that the Coolbox was not for real pro construction guys but for weekend project urban/suburban guys.

The NoPhone guys seemed to be saying this is a joke-gift you give to other people to call them out for being too phone centric. So, in that regard, Daymond was spot on when he said it maybe might be the next pet rock, but probably not. But basically the only way this thing is a moneymaker is if it flukily went the way of the pet rock. Otherwise the market is very small, and at the prices they mentioned, way too expensive for a gag gift. If these dudes genuinely believed it to be anything more than that, they're super delusional.

• Love 1

How about an app that locks you put of your phone for x amount of time, like the concept behind those timed snack containers? That's more along the line of a "cure". There's also self-control, but humanity in general isn't so keen on that.

I thought of an app that you could set a timer on and if you unlocked your phone during that time, you would get a little shock. Negative reinforcement.

With either app, someone would have to have enough self control to set the timer. 

And those guys bugged me so much -- trying to Jedi Mind trick the sharks? "$300,000 for 20%, $300,000 for 20%, $300,000 for 20%." I'm annoyed they got a deal with two sharks, basically getting the exact money they wanted and the percentage of equity (per shark) they wanted. Here's hoping Lori makes them put Scrub Daddy logos all over their squeaky toys.

I think that guy honestly thought Robert misunderstood and was trying to correct him.  Got a laugh out of me.

• Love 1

The beard mesmerized me. I'm a sucker for a bearded dude. He talked and acted like he's been mainlining Adderall, though. 

Yep. He was very Leif Erikson to look at but his manner of speaking was too intense and naturally makes one defensive. I think they would've had an easier time getting a deal if his partner had taken over for the pitch after he demoed it. 

Edited by anonymiss

Loved the showcase of Lori's entrepreneurs and how it showed the utter cheesy dreck she has bought into. I know there is a place for those type of items on the market, heck I bought a Scrubby Buddy, but if that is the majority of your portfolio .......well then, the Queen of End Caps at Bed, Bath and Beyond might be a better moniker.

• Love 2

Robert was wise to make the deal contingent on a license with Dreamworks, because those guys will turn it down flat and get him off the hook.

What I didn't understand was why bother to make the deal at all? He has to know the contingency won't pan out; why bother contacting DreamWorks and putting together even a rudimentary presentation for them when it will all be for naught? Just to make a deal (he seems to get shut out of so many) and mention your connection with DreamWorks on TV? Because he liked the guy's sob story?

Because he's on TV.

He needs to be seen making deals because the real payoff to any of these Sharks is their brand. Just a couple of seasons ago Robert had trouble getting his offers accepted. (Now that's clearly Kevin.) That's because he tried to pitch himself as the "tech shark" and couldn't compete against Mark in that regard. Then he rebranded himself as the "fun shark" and became a little more aggressive in his offers, and now he does fine. But let's not forget that when Chris Sacca sat in last year he took Robert's place. Because I assure you Robert hasn't.

So he's seen making a deal, he gets to mention Dreamworks, we're all talking about him, and nothing is lost. Setting up the meeting is a small price to pay for keeping the image up.

• Love 1

Loved the showcase of Lori's entrepreneurs and how it showed the utter cheesy dreck she has bought into. I know there is a place for those type of items on the market, heck I bought a Scrubby Buddy, but if that is the majority of your portfolio .......well then, the Queen of End Caps at Bed, Bath and Beyond might be a better moniker.

I think Lori can be kind of obnoxious, but her products seem to be making her a lot of money.

She tends to go for easily demonstrable items that can go on QVC and make a ton of sales right away versus actually working to build a brand like some of the other sharks talk about.

I don't think any of us would argue that Lori isn't very successful.  I would even admit that watching Beyond the Tank has demonstrated she's got very good instincts about how to oversee her investments and get the most out of them.

What I don't like about her is, as you say, how obnoxious she is.  She never sets up an investment by saying "That's a really good product, and I think I can help you be very successful."  It's all about her.  She is in many ways the female version of Chris "I Invested in Uber" Sacca.  And the catch phrases.  She's often very dismissive of Barbara.  I think it's great that she, as a woman, can compete with Cuban and Kevin, but the way that she does it, by acting like one of the Plastics, isn't endearing.

She does pick products that sell well, and she does get ones that are actually pretty utilitarian, like Squatty Potty and Scrub Daddy.  But so much of the rest of it is cheap, plastic crap that doesn't work as advertised, and will end up in a landfill.  In the trade show segment, a woman was saying that she'd had her credit card hacked.  Lori then points out that she needs a SignalVault, when in fact that would have done nothing to stop a hacker.

And the end-caps and the trade show booth with giant pictures of her face, as though the Orgill Trade Show is Pyongyang and she's Kim Jung-Un.  It's her brand, I get that.  Kevin does that too, but he doesn't paste his Photoshopped mug all over O'Leary Funds and O'Leary Fine Wines.  It's all about the greater glory of Lori.

And for that reason, I'm out.

Edited by starri
  • Love 5

A few weeks ago, I saw something very similar to the Coolbox at Home Depot. I know it had Bluetooth speakers and an FM radio built in because my husband was laughing at how ridiculous it was. I don't remember the brand, but I don't think it looked like the Coolbox.

• Love 1

I think he fell for the sob story.  But he left himself a pretty reliable out.

The Coolbox guys annoyed me and the product seems way overpriced and unnecessary.  I get that you might want to listen to some music while working all day, buy a $30-40 bluetooth speaker and you're good to go.  Charge your phone before you get to the job site and you should be okay for the day.

The Coolbox guys annoyed me and the product seems way overpriced and unnecessary.  I get that you might want to listen to some music while working all day, buy a $30-40 bluetooth speaker and you're good to go.  Charge your phone before you get to the job site and you should be okay for the day.

I really have a hard time believing a professional contractor would want that box. The "features" are gimmicks that add weight and subtract usable cubic inches for storage. Overall, it doesn't look nearly as rugged as a standard, run of the mill, no bells and whistles box. Another thing that bothers me - there's a magnet AND a tablet stand on the top? Is putting your tablet by a strong magnet a good idea? I honestly don't know, and am not taking a magnet to any of my devices to find out! 

I bet you can find a market for it, however, with the wannabe weekend warrior. That guy who has more money than sense, and has a very nice workshop that never gets used. 

And, on a shallow note, I am so over the lumbersexual thing. I cannot recall a trend that made me find a man so physically unappealing. Once he opened his mouth and was such a defensive and unpleasant person, I felt much better about instantly hating him on sight.

• Love 5

What I don't like about her is, as you say, how obnoxious she is.  She never sets up an investment by saying "That's a really good product, and I think I can help you be very successful."  It's all about her.  She is in many ways the female version of Chris "I Invested in Uber" Sacca.  And the catch phrases.  She's often very dismissive of Barbara.  I think it's great that she, as a woman, can compete with Cuban and Kevin, but the way that she does it, by acting like one of the Plastics, isn't endearing.

She does pick products that sell well, and she does get ones that are actually pretty utilitarian, like Squatty Potty and Scrub Daddy.  But so much of the rest of it is cheap, plastic crap that doesn't work as advertised, and will end up in a landfill.  In the trade show segment, a woman was saying that she'd had her credit card hacked.  Lori then points out that she needs a SignalVault, when in fact that would have done nothing to stop a hacker.

Well what she said about the woman needing a SignalVault is pretty typical sales stuff. That's what I hate about sales people.  A good one comes off a bit more sincere than Lori.

She does come off like she's in the Plastics. That's a perfect description.

The CoolBox just seemed like a ripoff of the Coolest Cooler — which seems to be plagued by the same problems people here have identified: too heavy, everything breaks. 

And, on a shallow note, I am so over the lumbersexual thing. I cannot recall a trend that made me find a man so physically unappealing. Once he opened his mouth and was such a defensive and unpleasant person, I felt much better about instantly hating him on sight.

If you would like the hate him more...

One year for Christmas, I bought 3 empty iPhone boxes for my niece and nephews. Oh, you should have seen their exitement as the unwrapped the boxes. Which was quickly dashed once they opened the box. I'd buy a NoPhone just for that purpose, to put it in a specialty box. HAHAHAHA!!!

I really wish Lori would get a new wardrobe. She lives in that blue dress with the hole cut out of it.

Edited by cooksdelight
  • Love 2

One year for Christmas, I bought 3 empty iPhone boxes for my niece and nephews. Oh, you should have seen their exitement as the unwrapped the boxes. Which was quickly dashed once they opened the box. I'd buy a NoPhone just for that purpose, to put it in a specialty box. HAHAHAHA!!!

I really wish Lori would get a new wardrobe. She lives in that blue dress with the hole cut out of it.

I aspire to be like you.

I get that they have to wear the same thing for continuity so they can tape on different days and edit together shows, but Lori's boob cutout dress is heinous. Barbara wears something black, I think. The point is, just like with the men's clothes, I don't remember and I am not paying attention to it instead of the pitches.

Edited by bilgistic
  • Love 1

I still can't get over how embarrassingly stupid the NoPhone was (seriously producers?), but what I find even more detestable is their price. $12 for a stupid piece of plastic? It didn't even seem to have any phone details on it.

Meanwhile, Dollar Tree sells a much more convincing plastic phone for... a dollar.

144314_v1.jpg

(And yeah, I suppose the segment was supposed to be sort of tongue in cheek... I guess? I don't think the pitchers realized that.)

• Love 1

I still can't get over how embarrassingly stupid the NoPhone was (seriously producers?), but what I find even more detestable is their price. $12 for a stupid piece of plastic? It didn't even seem to have any phone details on it.

Meanwhile, Dollar Tree sells a much more convincing plastic phone for... a dollar.

Ah, but does the Dollar Tree sell ones with a "selfie upgrade"?

• Love 1

I have a phone backup battery that I love. It has electrical prongs so you can use it as your main charger and then it also stores a backup charge for later. I carry it with me everywhere - I just transfer it into whatever purse or suitcase or backpack or camera bag I'm using that day. I fail to see the advantage of having such a battery built into other bags/objects instead of just having a separate one like I have.

The whole Trobo thing seemed pointless, but the part that really bugged me was the claim that it would teach your kid math and science and then the complete lack of any mention of math or science in the rest of the pitch - instead they seemed to jump to the idea of using it for advertising to kids.

The idea of an interactive character/story that would teach math and science to kids reminded me of the primer in the sci fi book The Diamond Age, but clearly we're nowhere near that level yet.

Edited by LeGrandElephant
  • Love 1