Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

I haven't been able to watch or read any of the tributes to Carrie Fisher.   Don't know why that one is so hard on me.   I obssessively read everything after John Lennon was killed, the first big celebrity death that matter to me.   When Princess Diana died, I didn't leave my tv for the whole week (okay minor exaggeration).

Edited by merylinkid
  • Love 3
14 hours ago, auntjess said:

If anyone is interested, OWN is repeating at 2011 Oprah show with Debbie Reynolds & Carrie Fisher.
Tonight, 1/5 at 10PM (SOON), and again at 1 AM ET.

And WE TV is airing a marathon of all of the Will & Grace episodes including Debbie Reynolds' character, Bobbi Adler (Grace's mother), from 11AM-5PM Eastern Time (10AM-4PM Central) TOMORROW (Saturday, January 7th).

• Love 2

I will say the passing of Alan Thicke hit me harder than it should have..I loved Growing Pains and thought some of his moments on that show were the best....and his cameos on How I Met Your Mother were great....I knew someone who adored Alan..worked with him as PA for years..and was still close to Thicke all these years later....and that person died two months before Alan did....and so losing both in the same year is not only strange..but altogether sucky...

• Love 2
22 minutes ago, legaleagle53 said:

And now we have the first real celebrity death of 2017:  Actress Francine York, dead at 80.

Now I'm starting to dislike 2017 just a little.  Ms. York was a fantastic actress whom I particularly remember from when she played Venus on one of my favorite episodes of Bewitched.  RIP, Francine!

"She was polishing off her autobiography at the time of her death."

I don't think that means what they think it means. 

• Love 5
24 minutes ago, ennui said:

Yes, what they meant to say is that she was putting the finishing touches on her autobiography (she was active on Facebook, and she frequently shared clips from the many movies and TV shows she had done in her long career and gave her fans behind-the-scenes tidbits that she always promised to elaborate on in her autobiography).  She had planned a book tour once the work was finished and was really looking forward to meeting so many of her fans in person to thank them for their support and well-wishes over the years.

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

And now we have the first real celebrity death of 2017:  Actress Francine York, dead at 80.

Now I'm starting to dislike 2017 just a little.  Ms. York was a fantastic actress whom I particularly remember from when she played Venus on one of my favorite episodes of Bewitched.  RIP, Francine!

We made it to Jan 6th!

Ms. York had a long life and good career, so I'm not too upset that it's only the 6th.

• Love 5
17 minutes ago, roamyn said:

We made it to Jan 6th!

Ms. York had a long life and good career, so I'm not too upset that it's only the 6th.

Indeed she did.  Her YouTube channel has a lot of clips from her career, and she really was a talented actress who could completely disappear into a role.  One unforgettable performance she posted a few years ago was a monologue in which she played the elderly wife of a suspected Nazi war criminal. Her character was undergoing an interrogation by the authorities, and she completely nailed the performance of a frightened and confused elderly German woman who claimed to have no knowledge of her husband's alleged war crimes.  She also has a clip of her as a mentally unbalanced Marilyn Monroe who is being kept hidden away in a sanitarium, and another in which she plays a total bitch of an actress to a younger starlet.  Very powerful performances!

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, Drogo said:

I was too upset to read the article when @Drogo first posted this, but now that I have, as far as I'm concerned, SeaWorld can just fuck off and die already.??

Tilikum "lived" a full life?! No, the average lifespan of Orcas isn't mid-thirties, assholes! It's due to the maltreatment and captivity, that he died at only 36 years old. When I know just from watching, Orcas in the wild can live up to 100 years old.

Ratbastards.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 12
2 hours ago, ennui said:

They should have said "polishing up", as in putting the finishing touches on it. "Polishing off" is eating.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I was too upset to read the article when @Drogo first posted this, but now that I have, as far as I'm concerned, SeaWorld can just fuck off and die already.??

Tilikum "lived" a full life?! No, the average lifespan of Orcas isn't mid-thirties, assholes! It's due to the maltreatment and captivity, that he died at only 36 years old. When I know just from watching, Orcas in the wild can live up to 100 years old.

Ratbastards.

For me it's the bittersweet equivalent of an innocent man dying after a few decades in prison.  Glad he's in a better place now, but angered at the injustice he suffered in life. 

• Love 11
4 hours ago, Blergh said:

Not conventional  but less expected than had it been an R2 D2 replica. That's all I'm saying.

And it really is a testament to her wonderfully snarky sense of humor.  We should all be blessed with such an ability to laugh at ourselves at the end like that.

• Love 14

Haven't seen the documentary Bright Lights yet but from all the tweets it seems wonderful and funny but also sad to watch because these two amazing women are no longer with us.

I just watched a video of them singing togehter on Oprah in 2011. Carrie's speaking voice may have changed a lot but I was very pleasantly surprised that her she could still singand if anything her singing voice had gotten stronger.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 1

Read the article.   It sounds like the media is convinced they did it because they held themselves "aloof from the media."   Apparently if you have a family tragedy your first thought must be to cater to the media.   Please note this was in the 1980s.   You just thought it was bad with the advent of the internet.

• Love 5

I hate myself that Elaine Benes saying "Maybe the dingo ate your baby" is playing in my head right now, but I cannot make it stop.

From the article, a statement from one of the reporters covering the trials and inquest:

"He was slim, he was blond, he was always by her [Lindy's] side when they came and left the courts during the murder trial.

"He was very much considered to be a second fiddle in the whole arrangement."

And would anyone have had any shits to give if it had been the wife who was slim, blonde, entered and exited the courtroom with her spouse, and apparently played "second fiddle" in the marriage?  But, no -- clearly that meant she was a diabolical killer and he was the hapless husband who had to help cover it up.

Those poor people; they lost their child in a freak accident, and then got raked over the coals as killers.  No pardon and compensation can make that right.

• Love 16
33 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I hate myself that Elaine Benes saying "Maybe the dingo ate your baby" is playing in my head right now, but I cannot make it stop.

Don't feel bad, this was my first thought.

eftjpXw.jpg

• Love 6

Nat Hentoff,  one of the fiercest defenders of the Bill of Rights in the last century.

Hentoff was one of those rare people with whom I agreed and disagreed in something approaching equal measure (I'd have to tally, but my guess is we aligned far more than differed, just disagreed strongly on some key issues), but whose reasoning I generally understood and respected even when we reached different conclusions.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 3
On 1/8/2017 at 2:15 AM, VCRTracking said:

Haven't seen the documentary Bright Lights yet but from all the tweets it seems wonderful and funny but also sad to watch because these two amazing women are no longer with us.

I watched it. It's funny and sad all at the same time. I really don't know how either of them would've survived without the other.

• Love 2

I know nothing about post mortem practices and I dare not do a Google search for fear of what I might find, but I have a question: Under what circumstances would a coroner refuse to release a person's body until after he's received the results of the toxicology report? George Michael's death was said to be "unexpected, but not suspicious" yet the coroner is refusing to release his body while test are pending, and they say it may not be until February or even March!!!! That's just crazy!!! That poor father wants to bury his son, but he has to wait for answers. I would think a coroner would preserve whatever tissue or blood samples he needs for testing, and then release his body to the care of his family so they can give him a proper funeral. They already missed the one week time frame as is customary in the Greek Orthodox religion, but February or March?!?!?!? --- I've never heard of such a thing.  

• Love 4
20 minutes ago, ennui said:

http://www.inquest.org.uk/help/handbook/section-2-1-your-rights-and-the-body-of-your-relative

The coroner could release the body, but it sounds like they don't want to -- maybe his death is suspicious, after all.

I'm thinking that as well, but still.... his poor father.... not knowing what's going on..... ????  If GM was 53, then his father's at least in his 70's.  They need to let him bury his son.

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, J.D. said:

I'm thinking that as well, but still.... his poor father.... not knowing what's going on..... ????  If GM was 53, then his father's at least in his 70's.  They need to let him bury his son.

I think George's father is around 81 (he was 75 in 2011). I'm sure George's family would like to know how he died, though. It's looking like a drug overdose; people don't just die at 53, and George admitted to a lot of drugs.

Drugs killed Prince, after all. Rock n roll. 

• Love 4

There are some more questions that need answering.   At first it didn't look suspicous but apparently the boyfriend's story is not matching up to some other things.   SO they want to be sure.   I would want them to keep the body too.   Sure you can keep samples, etc., but what if you don't keep the right samples, or they get lost or you have to retest and run out?   I get the wanting to bury the body, but George MIchael is gone.   It is just a body that is left behind.   HIs soul is already boogeing with David Bowie.   

• Love 6
8 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

There are some more questions that need answering.   At first it didn't look suspicous but apparently the boyfriend's story is not matching up to some other things.   SO they want to be sure.   I would want them to keep the body too.   Sure you can keep samples, etc., but what if you don't keep the right samples, or they get lost or you have to retest and run out?   I get the wanting to bury the body, but George MIchael is gone.   It is just a body that is left behind.   HIs soul is already boogeing with David Bowie.   

I pray Fadi didn't have anything to do with this.  I even Tweeted my condolences to him.  I'mma hate myself if he's involved.   It is a little strange that he slept in the car that night, but I've been trying not to 'go there.'

• Love 1

Count me as one who think they SHOULD be as cautious as possible and do what they can to rule out shadows of doubt re Mr. Michael's demise. Let me just say that I've NEVER entirely bought the official verdict re David Carridine's demise and believe those authorities may have missed key elements re what may have truly transpired in their rush to not have to deal with a seemingly sordid end. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, BooksRule said:

'Exorcist' author William Peter Blatty has died.  That book scared me big time when I read it.  I was very young when I read it the first time, and when I read it as an adult I think it scared me just as much. 

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory/exorcist-author-william-peter-blatty-dead-89-44760357

I've never read the book, but the movie scared the bejeesus out of me.  Only saw it once.  That was enough.

Apparently it is based on a semi true story.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, merylinkid said:

Lord Snowdon, ex-husband of Princess Margaret and well known celebrity photographer has passed away at the age of 86.  

The "Jones boy" had a fascinating life. He was often requested to write an autobiography, but he remained discrete.  

• Love 1
24 minutes ago, ennui said:

The "Jones boy" had a fascinating life. He was often requested to write an autobiography, but he remained discrete.  

Yeah, and the BRF continued to have their pictures taken by him, long aft the divorce.

• Love 2