Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

The parents of current Star Trek film franchise actor Anton Yelchin (he played Chekhov in the 2 or 3, I forget which, newest of the franchise films including the soon-to-open Star Trek Beyond) took out an (I think touching & worth reading) ad in The Hollywood Reporter recently, which was reported on/reposted by Entertainment Weekly's EW.com website at the link below, thanking Anton's fans for all the love & support they've been shown by them, & the gifts they've received from them, since his extremely untimely passing.

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/07/17/anton-yelchin-parents-thank-you-tribute?xid=entertainment-weekly_socialflow_twitter

As you may remember from upthread--where his death was discussed after it happened--Anton was killed in a freak accident, not even a month ago as I remember, when he was pinned between his car & a (as I remember) concrete post at his home. At the time he was killed, his make & model of car was under a safety recall for an issue where drivers may be falsely led to believe their vehicles were in Park when they weren't/"roll aways", but his specific car either hadn't been repaired or it isn't known if it had or hadn't been at the time he died. A $5 Million Class Action lawsuit has been filed by owners of the car involved against Chrysler-Fiat, the manufacturer/seller of the car, over the recall, since Anton Yelchin's death/as a direct result of it.

• Love 3
(edited)

Someone who orders the dvds at our local library has been ordering whatever they could find with Anton Yelchin in it, so I've watched some of those, Burying The Ex most recently.  He's also in a number of projects that are completed that I don't think have been released yet this year,  besides Star Trek Beyond. 

Rememory, with Peter Dinklage

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2331047/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_5

We Don't Belong here, with Catherine Keener

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3731580/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_4

Porto

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4446472/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_2

and Thoroughbred, set to be released in 2017:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5649108/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_1

4 minutes into this video, Whoopie and Simon Pegg talk about Anton Yelchin

Edited by atomationage
star trek, not stark trek

Atomationage, I was just coming to post about the video you edited into your post--from a The View interview today with Anton's Star Trek film Co-Stars Zoe Saldana (Uhura) & Simon Pegg, who plays Scotty (as a Co-Writer of the newest film in the franchise, Simon Pegg recently took some heat from George Takei, the now openly-gay actor who played Sulu in the original NBC series--who wasn't "out", for many reasons, until long after the original ST ended--for "suddenly" making the current films' Sulu a gay, married, father in the newest film though there were never any indications he was any of those things in any previous incarnation of the character [Pegg & his Co-Writer stated the "revelation" about Sulu's sexuality/personal life in the newest film was meant as an homage to Takei, the now openly-gay creator of the role]; this is also addressed in The View's interview). My ancient iPhone crashed as I started my post & you edited it into your post while I was returning from the crash, so thank you for posting it. I wasn't sure it was online yet.

Of any of the Hosts of The View who could've asked cast members of Star Trek Beyond about Anton Yelchin's untimely passing, I'm glad it was the 1 with ties to the Star Trek TV franchise, Whoopi Goldberg (who played Guinan, who ran Ten-Forward, the bar/lounge on the Enterprise, in Star Trek: The Next Generation). As Simon Pegg had to gather himself at some points in his answer, & I think he actually spoke on behalf of himself & Zoe Saldana (&, by extension, their fellow surviving cast members), it was clear his/their feelings on the subject were still "raw" (as they have a right to be this soon after it happened) & that they loved working with Anton very much.

• Love 1
On 7/4/2016 at 4:58 PM, Spartan Girl said:

Aw man.

But you can't do better than 95. She obviously had a long, happy fulfilling life. That's more than you can say for poor George Reeves.

When I hear someone died in their 90's I want to applaud and say, job well done!  

3 minutes ago, maraleia said:

The last time I saw him interviewed (forget where) my thought was, he is near the end.  What enjoyment he gave millions over and over and over!  Another applause situation.  Job well done and thank you. 

• Love 6
On 7/18/2016 at 10:46 AM, BW Manilowe said:

A $5 Million Class Action lawsuit has been filed by owners of the car involved against Chrysler-Fiat, the manufacturer/seller of the car, over the recall, since Anton Yelchin's death/as a direct result of it.

Perhaps one life given to save hundreds.  It happens. 

• Love 2
(edited)

I love seeing him on talk shows or documentaries. Speaking with that Bronx accent as he told stories about his shows like Happy Days like how the network made him have Fonz wear a beige windbreaker instead of a leather jacket.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 2
(edited)
2 hours ago, wings707 said:

The last time I saw him interviewed (forget where) my thought was, he is near the end.  What enjoyment he gave millions over and over and over!  Another applause situation.  Job well done and thank you. 

Quoting myself here.  I remembered.  He had a very prominent lump on his left cheek.  When I saw it, I thought cancer and probably inoperable or it would not be there. 

When a celebrity, who I love, dies my feelings are not sad, per se, because I know we don't get out of here alive.  It is a poignant feeling of love, appreciation and awe at the positive impact they have had on so many.  Most of us only touch a few.  Nothing less than about that, just making note of the difference. 

Edited by wings707
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Spartan Girl said:

I watch The Princess Diaries and Pretty Woman every time they're on TV. Not to mention Happy Days and Mork and Mindy. I'm so sad now.

Add Laverne & Shirley and Soapdish to that list for me.

RIP, Mr. Marshall. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Add Laverne & Shirley and Soapdish to that list for me.

RIP, Mr. Marshall. 

Title credits from two of his well-known ABC comedies (captured from DVD releases): Laverne & Shirley in 1976, and Mork & Mindy in 1978

garrymarshalllaverneshirley.jpg

garrymarshallmork&mindy.jpg

• Love 7
(edited)

I loved Garry Marshall in A League of Their Own.  Wish I could find online clips of his scenes with Tom Hanks.  One in particular stands out.  Hanks, as the manager of the Rockford Peaches, is annoyed by Mr. Harvey's (Marshall's) insistence that he "give the crowd what they want."  That leads to this exchange, which Marshall deadpanned perfectly:

Walter Harvey: You go out, wave your cap, give the people a thrill.

Jimmy Dugan: Why don't you get an organ grinder, I could do a little dance.

Walter Harvey: If your knees are up for it, go ahead.

Edited by Inquisitionist
  • Love 13
12 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I was wondering about that myself. Other than Henry Winkler's tweet and Richard Gere's statement, I haven't read anything from Penny or anyone else.

Bette Midler, Barbara Hershey, and I think John Stamos have all commented on Twitter.  I would imagine that Penny's simply been too busy to comment yet, since as his sister and therefore his most immediate family member, she's had a lot on her hands making arrangements for whatever memorial service will be held for him.

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, legaleagle53 said:

Bette Midler, Barbara Hershey, and I think John Stamos have all commented on Twitter.  I would imagine that Penny's simply been too busy to comment yet, since as his sister and therefore his most immediate family member, she's had a lot on her hands making arrangements for whatever memorial service will be held for him.

Ah. I don't do Twitter so I didn't see those. And I can understand Penny not saying anything just yet.

9 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Ah. I don't do Twitter so I didn't see those. And I can understand Penny not saying anything just yet.

Yeah, that's totally understandable.  I expect she'll say something when she's ready to.  Right now she and the family have a lot to deal with and probably want a little privacy.

• Love 1

If you've never read his autobiography, Wake Me When It's Funny, I highly recommend it.  It's cute and has a lot of anecdotes about some of his biggest hits. 

I didn't see all of his movies, but of the ones I did see (as well as his tv shows), I can't think of one that I didn't like.  RIP, Garry.

• Love 2

The only Garry Marshall-directed films I like are Beaches and Frankie and Johnny (although I have a few issues with that last one), but even in the ones I don't, there's always this certain kind of charm I can't deny.  There's also always Hector Elizondo, so that helps.

I most enjoyed him as an actor, particularly in A League of Their Own and Murphy Brown.

I've never heard anyone say a bad word about him.  Quite the opposite; he was widely regarded as a supportive person, and so many people who worked for him became his friend.

• Love 3

I still have a VCR, but only because my VCR/DVD combo still works and I can't bring myself to replace an appliance that isn't broken in any way. It's been years since I actually played a tape in it. I'm so old that I was watching videotapes back in the days when you needed to specify what format you were using- VHS or Beta. Hell, I'm so old that I starred in home movies that you need a projector to view.

• Love 3

Aww, we still have a working VCR in the house, but the picture doesn't look great on an HDTV. So many fond memories of all the music videos I recorded off of MTV, VH-1, and BET and my failed attempts to replicate the choreography of my favorite dance videos. Gotta pour one out for the VCR.

02-forthehomies.gif

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Neurochick said:

I still have a VCR, though I only use it to see the time.  When I moved into my apartment in 1984, my mother bought me a brand new VCR, I was soooo happy. 

Now you can't replace it! (well, maybe on Craigslist...)

@wings707: I don't remember seeing the lump you spoke of on Garry Marshall's cheek, but I'm also not saying he didn't have 1. The official cause of death, as it was reported the night his death was announced, was complications of pneumonia following a stroke he apparently had on Tuesday of last week.

• Love 1