Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

The mid-'70s was just a tad too early for official music videos. But here is 7 minutes of heaven from Marty Balin and Jefferson Starship. No visuals, but it's worth taking some time to appreciate the song, and the voice we've now lost. Thanks for all the music, Marty.

• Love 4

It's not just that he had such a great voice, it's that he sang so well with Grace Slick, who also had a great voice of course.  Not all singers are able to do that.  I love Jefferson Airplane and I think they're the most underrated band of the 60's at this point.  They and the Kinks are my two favorite sixties bands and at the time the Airplane was huge and the Kinks were obscure.  How times have changed.  JA was  huge back then but were not able to continue into a big cult circus in the way that their good friends the Grateful Dead (whom I also love) were able to do.    Their big not-so-secret weapon IMO was Jack Casady, the greatest rock bassist ever.

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Love 9

I was not a fan of most of the Starship songs - too much cheesiness - with the exception of ‘Jane’.  And I didn’t think he had the greatest of male voices - no Freddie, Frank, or Frampton or Plant.

However, ‘White Rabbit’ is one of my most favorite songs ever, and there’s no doubt the man was a song writing genius.  RIP Marty, hope you’re singing away in heaven.

• Love 5

I hope that artists like Marty realize just how much they added to the lives' of so many people. Just listening to their work brings joy to my soul.  It's so tough to hear that they are gone, though.  RIP Marty.  I've decided to play lots of his music over the next week.  

This is from Woodstock.  Volunteers.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, roamyn said:

was not a fan of most of the Starship songs - too much cheesiness - with the exception of ‘Jane’.  And I didn’t think he had the greatest of male voices - no Freddie, Frank, or Frampton or Plant.

However, ‘White Rabbit’ is one of my most favorite songs ever, and there’s no doubt the man was a song writing genius.  RIP Marty, hope you’re singing away in heaven.

I was not a fan of Starship overall either, although for a long while I kept going to see them when they played because of my undying love for the earlier band.  Agree Freddie Mercury and Robert  Plant are amazing male voices.  If Frank is Sinatra, then also yes.  Peter Frampton - record scratch.  Agree to disagree.  Also Grace Slick is the one who wrote White Rabbit.  Marty did write many great songs like Comin' Back to Me (like Silver Raven I think it is one of the most beautiful songs ever) and It's No Secret.

• Love 1
21 hours ago, ratgirlagogo said:

I was not a fan of Starship overall either, although for a long while I kept going to see them when they played because of my undying love for the earlier band.  Agree Freddie Mercury and Robert  Plant are amazing male voices.  If Frank is Sinatra, then also yes.  Peter Frampton - record scratch.  Agree to disagree.  Also Grace Slick is the one who wrote White Rabbit.  Marty did write many great songs like Comin' Back to Me (like Silver Raven I think it is one of the most beautiful songs ever) and It's No Secret.

Thank you for correcting me, I thought Marty wrote it.  That still doesn’t take away how talented his writing was.

On another note, IMO Grace has one of the more unique female voices in rock (not quite Pat Benetar level, but definitely more than the popular ladies today).

• Love 5

RIP Scott Wilson! Hershel was a big part of what made TWD watchable during the transition from Darabont to Gimple. Thank you, Mr. Wilson for bringing him to life and being kind to the fandom by attending so many cons. Rest easy, sir. 

• Love 8
On 10/16/2018 at 4:00 PM, BetterButter said:

Ugh, nothing good to say about that man. I would make myself watch that show. He and the woman he hired to help him and his customers exploiting sex workers. Watching those women trapped out in the desert with no transportation to escape, buying everything from his store, and pretending to actually enjoy having sex with him and those men was stomach turning. 

• Love 5
14 minutes ago, SimoneS said:

Ugh, nothing good to say about that man. I would make myself watch that show. He and the woman he hired to help him and his customers exploiting sex workers. Watching those women trapped out in the desert with no transportation to escape, buying everything from his store, and pretending to actually enjoy having sex with him and those men was stomach turning. 

He almost enabled Lamar Odom to death. 

• Love 5
27 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

I don't know anything about this, but I am sure that it is true and that his behavior was disgusting. I will never forget that scene of all those young women in the hot tub around with him looking gross and repulsive, preening as one of the women he was supposedly "dating" at the time was stripping and rubbing up all over him. I almost threw up in my mouth. 

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 6
12 minutes ago, SimoneS said:

I don't know anything about this, but I am sure that it is true and that his behavior was disgusting. I will never forget that scene of all those young women in the hot tub around with him looking gross and repulsive, preening as one of the women he was supposedly "dating" at the time was stripping and rubbing up all over him. I almost threw up in my mouth. 

This description alone makes me very glad I've never seen this show.

Judging from that article and the mention of the people who celebrated his birthday, I'm not impressed with the company he seemed to keep, either. 

• Love 10
51 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

Did he sell Odom drugs? Because I was convinced that several if not most of the women that man exploited were drug addicts and it was one of the ways he controlled them. 

That show reinforced my belief that one of the biggest lies is that: prostitution is a victimless crime. Those women were exploited and every drop of hope and energy that they had was rung out of them. They would stand there in a line while these disgusting men would pick over them like cattle and afterwards they would insist that they only did sex work because they loved sex and they had multi-orgasms every time. Gawd. I just hope that most of them are still alive and out of that life. I cheered when they announced that one young woman they had featured in a previous episode had left because she couldn't "make it." RME. I was happy that she escaped and hoped that she found a better life.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 8
2 minutes ago, SimoneS said:

Did he sell Odom drugs?

I have no knowledge of who gave Lamar what. 911 was called to an unresponsive male later identified as Lamar Odom. He had been there for days and had cocaine in his system. He was put into a medically induced coma during which time he suffered heart attacks and strokes. Had someone at The Bunny Ranch not enabled him I don’t think that he would have OD’d. That place was about giving the clients anything they wanted for a price. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, DangerousMinds said:

I don’t disagree, but prostitution isn’t a crime there.

Obviously I know that prostitution isn't illegal in Nevada since I watched the show and they never stopped repeating that as they exploited those women. I was referring to the mantra that our society likes to repeat to rationalize prostitution and sex work as a victimless crime. There are lot of women, men, and children who are victimized in sex work.

1 hour ago, Mindthinkr said:

I have no knowledge of who gave Lamar what. 911 was called to an unresponsive male later identified as Lamar Odom. He had been there for days and had cocaine in his system. He was put into a medically induced coma during which time he suffered heart attacks and strokes. Had someone at The Bunny Ranch not enabled him I don’t think that he would have OD’d. That place was about giving the clients anything they wanted for a price. 

I vaguely remember reading about Odom's overdose. I had no clue that man was involved, but not surprised either.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 8

In other news, Anthea Bell, translator. I only know her for Asterix, but that is enough. She came up with a whole different set of puns that would work in English, which can't have been easy. Some jokes I didn't get straight away. Some, I was in my 20s before they clicked.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, SimoneS said:

He was on an episode of Judge Judy once, when he was a witness in a case involving one of the women who worked for him suing another one for stealing from her.

• Love 4
10 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

He was on an episode of Judge Judy once, when he was a witness in a case involving one of the women who worked for him suing another one for stealing from her.

Ha!  I had absolutely no idea who was being discussed until I read this post.  And it's not even like I'm an avid Judge Judy watcher; I just happened to catch that episode, and I'm sure I know exactly who you're talking about.

• Love 1