Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

Ever since the MLB Network hit the air I've pretty much ignored ESPN but that didn't lessen the impact of hearing about Stuart Scott's passing. We were the same age and because of his engaging on-air persona I felt like I knew him personally, and this news just hurt.  Robin Roberts narrated a wonderful piece on him and I could not stop crying while watching it, especially after seeing Scott Van Pelt crying in the clip.  And then I saw Rich Eisen struggling to keep it together and I fell apart again.

"Boo Yah" in memory of a wonderful father and friend to many.  You will always be "as cool as the other side of the pillow."

• Love 4

There were times that I thought that Stuart Scott annoying, but I thought that he was far more entertaining and original than the other ESPN presenters and I missed him when he stopped anchoring. Last time I saw Stuart, I was struck by how ill he looked, but I was still surprised to learn of his passing.

Rest in peace, Stuart.

Bess Myerson, one-time Miss America and a long-time regular on I've Got A Secret, has died at the age of 90.  Here's the NY Times obit.

Her coronation, on Sept. 8, 1945, just days after Japan’s surrender had ended World War II, came at a time when a beauty queen could still capture the nation’s attention and even emerge a heroine — in Ms. Myerson’s case as the first (and, so far, only) Jewish Miss America.

But (reading on):

Few sponsors, it turned out, wanted a Jewish Miss America to endorse their products. Certain country clubs and hotels barred her as she toured the country after the pageant. Appearances were canceled.

• Love 1

Rich Eisen in tears did it for me.  I really enjoyed Stuart Scott; he loved sports, and his voice and demeanor made him a perfect fit for broadcasting.

When I watched Rich Eisen report on Stuart Scott's death, I actually teared up.  Just watching him tear up while eulogizing his friend, and then to hear him say "He is..he was.  My god, I can't believe it's the past tense..." just ripped my heart out.

• Love 3

Re Bess Meyerson being boycotted.  I read the recent story about how a (light-skinned) black woman was not allowed to be one of the Rose Parade ladies in waiting or whatever they're called, back in 1950, when they found out her "true" race.  It was enough to make me deliberately skip the Rose Parade this year.

What burns my ass is that these things happened not because people actually hated Jews or blacks, but because they were concerned about what "someone else" would think.  The lily-livered scumbags. 

• Love 1

So sad.   She had a sudden stroke while out to lunch.  

If I were into conspiracy theories I would find the timing highly suspicious.   Apparently The Prince had told Francesca she could not visit her mother anymore.   Francesca was considering legal action.   Which if it is true that Zsa Zsa has dementia, why was this not pursued long ago?   Did I miss a guardianship case?

RIP Rod Taylor.  DAMN, that's going to be a bulging Oscars "In Memoriam" clip reel...

BTW, Taylor did have a short-lived TV series, called "Hong Kong."  Episodes are on Youtube.  (search "Hong Kong ABC")

Rod was also the lead, with Dennis Cole, of the very short lived series Bearcats (1971). I didn't know he was an Aussie, I don't think I ever saw him in a role where he used his native accent. A fine actor. I'll miss him.

Rod was also the lead, with Dennis Cole, of the very short lived series Bearcats (1971).

Way back then, they put out a scale model of the car from that series - somewhere in a box, I probably have what's left of the one I built.

• Love 1

Rod was also the lead, with Dennis Cole, of the very short lived series Bearcats (1971). I didn't know he was an Aussie, I don't think I ever saw him in a role where he used his native accent. A fine actor. I'll miss him.

When the 2002 version of The Time Machine came out, he hosted a behind-the-scenes documentary on the original 1960 version.  You may still be able to find it on YouTube and hear him speak in his native accent.  It also has a short "sequel" to the original film that has George dropping in on Filby just a few years before Filby's death (we learn exactly when and how Filby died during WWI, by the way), and George catching Filby up on his life and his time travels.  It's really quite a hoot.

Oh, and on a more shallow note, damn if he wasn't one of the hottest leading men of his time!

Indeed.  Why were Sixties men so hot?

I would never have guessed, by the way, looking at a young Rod Taylor, that he would have turned out to be such a convincing casting choice for Winston Churchill (Inglourious Basterds)

Edited by Jipijapa

I thought Anita Ekberg was gorgeous.  RIP

She was a goddess.  And it was she who really put Rome and the Trevi Fountain on the map when she waded in it in La Dolce Vita.

I can't believe how many of our icons from the 50s and 60s are leaving us so fast. Time needs to slow down, now.

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Love 1

She was a goddess.  And it was she who really put Rome and the Trevi Fountain on the map when she waded in it in La Dolce Vita.

I can't believe how many of our icons from the 50s and 60s are leaving us so fast. Time needs to slow down, now.

Definitely and the same goes with the icons from the 70's and 80's. 

We're getting old and unfortunately, so are they. Time marches on. The good news is they will be forever young as preserved on film, on videotape, and in our memories.

Edited by Snowprince
  • Love 5

Taylor told one of my favorite jokes ever! He was describing 1970 and how everyone knew the Manson family. He said for those too young to know what Helter Skelter is, "it's kind of like twerking but with blood" bwahaha!  It was from a comedy special he did called 'California Gothic'  It's on You Tube . RIP 

• Love 1

According to the local paper, they didn't pull a permit to film on the tracks, a process that would have come with a flagman who knows the train schedule being on site for the entire shoot (to warn the film crew of oncoming trains) and notification of the filming going out to those driving trains along that route.  What a tragic mistake.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 2

According to the local paper, they didn't pull a permit to film on the tracks, a process that would have come with a flagman who knows the train schedule being on site for the entire shoot (to warn the film crew of oncoming trains) and notification of the filming going out to the engineers driving trains along that route.  What a tragic mistake.

A double tragedy, following the death of Sara Jones (Midnight Rider) nearly a year ago under similar circumstances.

• Love 2

Trains make a lot of noise. They just don't sneak up on you.  And they have strong lights on the front, too.  I would like to see the real  footage of how this happened.  

Edited by wings707

The train tracks run pretty much right along the freeway at the point where this occurred, with a major street overpass close by and there's an industrial cluster (including a power plant) nearby, too -- lots of background noise (which begs the question why one would want to film there, but hey).  But the train did start honking when he was spotted on the tracks. 

I think I read somewhere that a friend said he tripped, so maybe he was out of the way and then fell back into danger.  But had there been someone there with knowledge of what time a train was due to pass by, he'd have been cleared out well in advance.

I just re-read the LA Times article and, yes, people said he tripped -- while trying to "get the best shot."  So it doesn't sound like a scenario in which they were surprised by the train -- they knew it was coming, but he got too close.  I think he needed someone there to protect him from himself.  What a shame.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 2

It sounds almost like what happened to Vic Morrow back in the eighties. Morrow and two child actors were killed on the set while the movie The Twilight Zone was being filmed when a helicopter crashed during the rehearsal. The pilot of the 'copter was a Vietnam vet, but he was a novice about the movie business, and the "explosions" rattled him so much that he miscalculated his landing.

• Love 1