Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Drogo said:

Singleton pissed me off something fierce with his defense of R. Kelly, but Boyz N the Hood is an incredible film (that's not his only work I like, but it's the one I watch over and over and appreciate just as much every time).  It's frightening that he went to the hospital for leg pain, didn't have the stroke until he was already in his room, and still didn't make it.

Edited by Bastet
  • Sad 1
55 minutes ago, Drogo said:

John Singleton was so young and talented. Boyz n the Hood was an important movie that spoke about the experiences of Black people trapped in the cycle of violence in the inner city. It was painful, yet hopeful at the same time. It was Cuba Gooding Jr's breakout role and Lawrence Fishburne shone as the father who guided his son, helping him make the choice to reject senseless violence and escape to a better life. Despite being nominated, it was too early in his career for John Singleton to win that Oscar. I always thought that he would win one eventually.  

Rest in peace, John.

• Love 7

It's scary that both he and Luke died of strokes so fairly young. Just another reminder that health is the ultimate wealth. RIP John. What a loss---I loved his directorial work. He had been planning to direct a movie about Emmett Till (with Taraji P. Henson executive producing)---I hope that another director still picks up the project (preferably not Spike Lee---I am one of the few who hated what he did to Malcolm X's biography). 

• Love 4

Farewell Peter Mayhew. May he rest in Peace. Happy he made it SW celebration one last time.  He always seemed like a great guy was always sweet with the fans. The Force will be with him always. 

• Love 11

Bad time to be a Detroit Red Wings legend:  following the recent passing of Ted Lindsay, all-time great Leonard "Red" Kelly has died at 91.

Kelly, a defenseman, won the Norris Trophy for Best Defenseman once, and was a finalist three other times.  He won the Lady Byng Trophy (for gentlemanly play) on four separate occasions.  And he was a member of eight Stanley Cup-winning teams, the highest total for somebody who never played for the then-dominant Montreal Canadiens. (Canadiens players Jean Beliveau and Henri Richard are two most-successful Cup winners.)

During the 1959-1960 season, it was alleged that Detroit management had forced Kelly to play on a broken foot as the team was trying (and failing) to reach the 1959 playoffs.  Management, far more interested in the team's image than in treating the players well, promptly traded Kelly to the struggling New York Rangers.  However, Kelly refused to report, choosing to retire instead, so the Rangers traded him again, to the Toronto Maple Leafs, and Kelly un-retired.

As a Leaf, he undertook two new challenges:  famed coach Punch Imlach had noticed that Kelly had been effective in defending against Beliveau during his Detroit days, and asked Kelly to change positions and play center so that he could match up specifically against him. Kelly was so effective in defending the Montreal star that the Maple Leafs won the Cup four times in Kelly's eight years with the club, including his final season of 1966-1967, after which he retired to become the first head coach of the expansion Los Angeles Kings.  Since that 1966-1967 season, the Maple Laffs (er, Leafs), have not won the Cup, tied with the St. Louis Blues (who also joined the NHL in 1967-1968) for the longest current title drought.  

The other challenge Kelly took up in Toronto was politics; he served two terms in the Canadian Parliament as the MP for York West.  To my knowledge, this is the only time in North American history somebody has been both an active professional athlete and an elected official on the national level.  

Kelly settled in Toronto after his playing and coaching days;  when the Kings would visit Toronto, they delighted in having him interviewed on the telecasts.  Popular throughout the sport, Kelly was named to the Hall of Fame in 1969 and was voted part of the NHL's 100 Greatest Players of All Time in 2017.

• Love 1
(edited)

There was a progressive Christian writer named Rachel Held Evans who was admitted to the hospital with the flu back in April, and put into a medically-induced coma after her body rejected the antibiotics she was given and she began developing seizures. She was just taken off life support and has died at the age of 37.

https://slate.com/human-interest/2019/05/rachel-held-evans-the-hugely-popular-evangelical-writer-is-dead-at-37.html

Edited by UYI
  • Love 1
(edited)

Noooooooooo!  I loved Queen of Swing when I saw it and of course remember her from Sanford and Son eppies as well as the 1976 movie Sparkle.

RIP, Ms. Miller.

Edited by Vixenstud
  • Love 7
(edited)
9 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Not sure if he passes as a celebrity...

nashville-flipped-star-troy-dean-shafer-dead-dies

Is it strange that no autopsy is being done when he had "no known medical conditions", but a toxicology report will be done?  Maybe that's state law or something.  I know some religions don't allow for an autopsy, but that would be hard not to know.

It sounds like he died at home.  That means the coroner is automatically involved to be sure there was no foul play.  Anyone who dies outside of a hospital or within 24 hours of admission to one is automatically referred to the coroner to review the circumstances, decide on a cause and sign the death certificate.  The only exception is the case of someone known to have a terminal illness who has a physician caring for them who is willing to sign off on the death.  The only religious group that I am aware of that doesn't want autopsies is the Orthodox Jewish community because of their belief that a body should stay intact and that burial should happen before the sun sets the day after the death.  However, it is my understanding that even Orthodox Jews cannot overrule the coroner if he/she feels there is possible foul play or the cause of death isn't obvious.

If no autopsy was done and there was no indication he had a serious medical problem; that means the coroner found evidence at the scene pointing to a cause of death.  Things like syringes, pills, packets of suspicious powder, usually.  Or, signs of a suicide like a note, since they claim he died in his sleep. Even then, the method used for the suicide would have to be obvious or the coroner would do an autopsy, once again, to determine there was no criminal activity involved.  Even if the family objects to an autopsy on religious grounds, the coroner can insist on performing one if there is concern about foul play.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Useful 4
  • Love 1
Just now, doodlebug said:

It sounds like he died at home.  That means the coroner is automatically involved to be sure there was no foul play.  Anyone who dies outside of a hospital is automatically referred to the coroner to review the circumstances, decide on a cause and sign the death certificate.  The only religious group that I am aware of that doesn't want autopsies is the Orthodox Jewish community because of their belief that a body should stay intact and that burial should happen before the sun sets the day after the death.  However, it is my understanding that even Orthodox Jews cannot overrule the coroner if he/she feels there is possible foul play or the cause of death isn't obvious.

If no autopsy was done and there was no indication he had a serious medical problem; that means the coroner found evidence at the scene pointing to a cause of death.  Things like syringes, pills, packets of suspicious powder, usually.  Or, signs of a suicide like a note, since they claim he died in his sleep.  Even if the family objects to an autopsy on religious grounds, the coroner can insist on performing one if there is concern about foul play.

That's where my thinking went as well.  I sort of thought the toxicology report was a tell also.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

That's where my thinking went as well.  I sort of thought the toxicology report was a tell also.

Yep, sounds to me like there was evidence of an overdose, deliberate or not.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, AntiBeeSpray said:

Jim Fowler, host of Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom has passed away at the age of 89.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/j...wild-kingdom-dies-at-89/ar-AAB93Mq?li=BBnbfcL

Sources:   msn and the hollywood reporter

Wait, Jim    the one Marlin kept insisting on tying up  lions and tackling rhinos while Marlin himself safely kept droning on in the jeep about the wildlife, lived to 89?! Can't say I would have expected that. Good for Jim (and RIP, Mr. Fowler you could use it after all that risky stuff)!

• LOL 4
  • Love 10
13 hours ago, AntiBeeSpray said:

Jim Fowler, host of Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom has passed away at the age of 89.

I haven't thought about this program in years!

R.I.P. Mr. Fowler.

• Love 5
(edited)
7 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

That's quite a powerful testimony to the late Mr. Sargent's genius. Not only was he able to convey the very real angst and guilt over a survivor of an accident that had taken his brother's life but he even somehow was able to make the survivor's mother sympathetic- despite her openly resenting him for surviving instead of her favorite child ! RIP, Mr. Sargent. 

Edited by Blergh
name correction
  • Love 7