Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, cpcathy said:

Bill Daily made me laugh so hard on The Bob Newhart Show. Thank you, sir, RIP.

So did he for me-- in fact, Shout!'s all-in-one DVD release of The Bob Newhart Show stands tall alongside the all-in-one of Barney Miller (from the same company) as being one of my top favorites!

dvdtopshelf.jpg

• Love 7
4 hours ago, cpcathy said:

Bill Daily made me laugh so hard on The Bob Newhart Show. Thank you, sir, RIP.

I lucked upon The Bob Newhart Show on FETV, just this week, and have DVR picking them up.  Some old sitcoms really hold up through time.  Howard busting through Bob & Emily's door tonight will be bittersweet .

• Love 7
1 hour ago, zillabreeze said:

I lucked upon The Bob Newhart Show on FETV, just this week, and have DVR picking them up.  Some old sitcoms really hold up through time.  Howard busting through Bob & Emily's door tonight will be bittersweet .

Glad you're enjoying it! However, there are plenty of commercials in those airings, so I thought you might want to look into the DVDs-- great price on Amazon, and best yet, you can have it without commercials. 

https://www.amazon.com/Bob-Newhart-Show-Complete/dp/B00HRUQB5O/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1536404963&sr=8-3&keywords=bob+newhart+show+complete+serie

Edited by bmasters9
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

Noooo, not Major Healey! I watched a lot of I Dream of Jeannie when I was a kid. Then when I was a teenager I started watching reruns of The Bob Newhart Show and he was hilarious as the Hartley's neighbor Howard Borden. Funny I just now realized he played a pilot in that too after playing an Air Force officer on Jeannie. Always in a uniform.

Aw man, I loved Major Healy. He was such a good friend to Major Nelson and Jeannie. But 91 is pretty good. RIP.

• Love 6
On 9/6/2018 at 5:49 PM, ratgirlagogo said:

The weird thing is that I was certain for some reason that he had already died.  No idea why.

I wouldn't worry about it.  I'm frequently surprised to find out either someone just died (because I thought they died ages ago) or, equally, that they're still alive (because I thought they died ages ago)!

37 minutes ago, UYI said:

You know what struck me immediately on seeing that photo?  Barbara Eden just turned 87 on August 23, but you would never know it from looking at her (and yes, I'm aware that this probably isn't a recent photo of her and Bill).  I mean, even in this photo, I swear that she doesn't look a day over 35 or 40 at the most.  Can she really be a 2000-year-old genie who has just been fooling us all this time?

• Love 18
3 hours ago, MissAlmond said:

Well DAMN. Again.  Loved him in "I Dream of Jeannie" and "The Bob Newhart Show."  RIP Mr. Daily.

Same here! What was most appealing about Mr. Dailey's portrayal of Howard Borden was that, no matter how inane and exasperating his stunts were and the trainwrecks they caused, the Hartleys (and viewers) could never quite get mad at him because Howard was their de facto child and these were childlike mishaps with not a jot of malice (as opposed to his MTM counterpart Ted Baxter who was downright childISH and a mean  little boy at that).  Anyway, if one checks out his Emmy TV Legends interview, one can see he did not have to stretch very hard to play Major Healey or Mr. Borden. RIP, Mr. Daily and thanks for 91 years of laughter!

• Love 7
12 hours ago, Blergh said:

Same here! What was most appealing about Mr. Dailey's portrayal of Howard Borden was that, no matter how inane and exasperating his stunts were and the trainwrecks they caused, the Hartleys (and viewers) could never quite get mad at him because Howard was their de facto child and these were childlike mishaps with not a jot of malice (as opposed to his MTM counterpart Ted Baxter who was downright childISH and a mean  little boy at that).  Anyway, if one checks out his Emmy TV Legends interview, one can see he did not have to stretch very hard to play Major Healey or Mr. Borden. RIP, Mr. Daily and thanks for 91 years of laughter!

I never thought of that but Howard is very much the child in the Hartley home!  I always feel that Bill playing first an astronaut and then a pilot in his two sitcom roles was so fitting for an actor so great at playing a "space cadet".

I imagine both Barbara Eden and Bob Newhart are very sad right now (both have paid tribute to him).  

Rest in peace Bill.

Edited by roseha
  • Love 9
4 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

Carole Shelley died. She was one of the Pigeon Sisters in The Odd Couple, on stage, film, and TV. 

She was charming in The Odd Couple on TV.  I remember her saying, I think on the DVD commentary, that the show had such a low budget that she and Monica Evans wore their own clothes as costumes.

• Love 4
40 minutes ago, roseha said:

She was charming in The Odd Couple on TV.  I remember her saying, I think on the DVD commentary, that the show had such a low budget that she and Monica Evans wore their own clothes as costumes.

And yet, despite their pedigree on all those formats (and being utterly charming living in their own little world ) those two characters were only on for just a few episodes of the first season and I never  understood why they didn't keep them around longer. It would have been interesting to have seen them interact with Oscar's secretary Myrna (Penny Marshall).  In any case,  thanks for the memories, Miss Shelley and, RIP!

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Blergh said:

And yet, despite their pedigree on all those formats (and being utterly charming living in their own little world ) those two characters were only on for just a few episodes of the first season and I never  understood why they didn't keep them around longer. It would have been interesting to have seen them interact with Oscar's secretary Myrna (Penny Marshall).  In any case,  thanks for the memories, Miss Shelley and, RIP!

They phased out a lot of the characters from the play/movie early on, and added new ones. They initially had a group of poker buddies, but reduced it only to Murray the cop. In the case of the Pigeon Sisters, I think one of them (it may have been Ms. Shelley) said on a talk show that the show wanted Oscar and Felix to have more serious relationships. The Pigeon Sisters were good for some fun, but not for anything more long term.

• Love 3

Burt did say several times that Sally was the love of his life, he was the one who screwed up their relationship, and he regretted it.  What little Sally has said in the past seemed to indicate she cared about Burt, but had moved on.

• Love 8

Charles Nelson Reilly told the story of how Burt Reynolds gave Charles the beach house he shared with Sally. When they went to move CNR in, Burt paused at the door and said something like "I thought I could, but I just can't. This was my place with Sally. I don't think I can go in." To which CNR replied "Give me the keys, I hardly knew her!"   (This is from CNR's one man show "The Life of Reilly" - if you haven't seen it you should, it's wonderful! It's on youtube - there's a lot of breaks but they're not too intrusive.)

• Love 8
19 hours ago, BetterButter said:

Yes, his talent made great strides for those of other ethnic groups wanting to be writers and nothing can take away from that.

However; he seemed to be downright catty re those he'd worked with in his Emmy TV Legends interview to the point of  'jokingly' slandering the paternity of Lisa Bonet's firstborn child   and he's lucky that neither she nor Miss Zoe Kravitz opted to sue him for that! 

Regardless of his 'tude, he does deserve to RIP for his positive achievements!

Edited by Blergh
honoring
  • Love 3
11 minutes ago, dalek said:

RIP British actress Zienia Merton, best known for Space: 1999.

http://www.hollywood.com/general/zienia-merton-dead-at-72-60732487/

She also had a notable 7-episode run in the very first ever season of Doctor Who, playing the lovely, spirited Ping-Cho - such a shame all seven episodes of that story are missing, I've seen a reconstruction of it and loved it. I think Zienia holds the record for longest time gap between appearances on Doctor Who and related spin-offs, as she also appeared in an episode of the Sarah Jane Adventures. RIP, Zienia.

• Love 1

I remember Zienia Merton from watching repeats of Space 1999. I liked the show even though like original Star Trek, the special effects are now dreadful.  I enjoyed her character.  Rest in peace, Zienia.

I vaguely remember Dudley Sutton on Lovejoy, but I have seen him lots of different roles. He was talented. RIP, Dudley.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 1
20 hours ago, Blergh said:
On ‎9‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 2:58 PM, BetterButter said:

Yes, his talent made great strides for those of other ethnic groups wanting to be writers and nothing can take away from that.

However; he seemed to be downright catty re those he'd worked with in his Emmy TV Legends interview to the point of  'jokingly' slandering the paternity of Lisa Bonet's firstborn child   and he's lucky that neither she nor Miss Zoe Kravitz opted to sue him for that! 

I knew of Thad Mumford's work but not his catty side.    67 is still way too young, Mumford's father just died last month (August) at 95.  RIP.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, MissAlmond said:
On 9/16/2018 at 11:01 AM, Blergh said:
On 9/15/2018 at 3:58 PM, BetterButter said:

I knew of Thad Mumford's work but not his catty side.

Dayummmmmmmm, check this out.....he's giving good A Different World gossip:

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Vixenstud said:

Dayummmmmmmm, check this out.....he's giving good A Different World gossip:

Wow, he is brutal. I have admit that looking back Lisa Bonet did seem out of it for most of her stint on a Different World, but he acts like she committed a sin by getting pregnant. Maybe he means that she was too young and immature. He is also tough on Debbie Allen. I don't remember having any opinion on the show's directing, but it has been many years since I last saw an episode. He rips the young actors also, but I thought they were fine.

• Love 4

I love and wear my patchouli oil everyday, so he got the side eye over the 'Patchouli Train' comment.

Regarding Debbie, while she IMO did an excellent job by taking over directing I can see where he'd think she was pushy, she has that type of demeanor.

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, Vixenstud said:

Regarding Debbie, while she IMO did an excellent job by taking over directing I can see where he'd think she was pushy, she has that type of demeanor.

I don’t mean to pick on you, @Vixenstud, just playing Devil’s Advocate, but if Debbie were a man, with the same demeanor and personality, would he call him “pushy”? 

• Love 8

I have no arguments re the now late Mr Mumford's POVs re Miss Bonet's dedication to the shows nor Miss Allen's unconventional directing approach.

However; slandering someone's paternity and conception even in a 'joking' manner was rather tacky and, at the very least, would have deserved to have been called out by Miss Bonet and/or her daughter Miss Kravitz- if not actually sued by one or both of them and he was lucky that they evidently didn't consider him worth expending energy upon!

• Love 7
6 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:
6 hours ago, Vixenstud said:

I don’t mean to pick on you, @Vixenstud, just playing Devil’s Advocate, but if Debbie were a man, with the same demeanor and personality, would he call him “pushy”? 

Mumford praises Neema Barnette, who is a woman.  It seems he just didn't like Debbie Allen's style.

12 hours ago, Josette said:

Mumford praises Neema Barnette, who is a woman.  It seems he just didn't like Debbie Allen's style.

That's possible but Debbie really brought that show together when she joined. 

I do feel compelled to say, though, that just because he appreciates another woman as a director doesn't mean he doesn't have gendered expectations of directors.  It's still fair to wonder if he'd have the same problems with how she directed if she were a man whereas Neema, while directing, might have been less direct and therefore more acceptable to him or met his ideas of how a woman should behave.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 12

Directors by definition are pushy.   It's kinda their job.   Also the show was about college kids, so yeah young actors so you don't wonder why these 40 something people are living in dorms.   Everybody has to start some time.

However 67 is far far too young.     Too many gone far too soon.

• Love 3

Here is a tribute to Thad Mumford from Ken Levine...I'm a huge fan of Ken's blog as his tributes always seem to be a bit deeper into the person than most...plus, some of the comments praise Thad as well from "A Different World"....Whatever Mumford was like in real life, I just know he wrote one of my favorite episodes of MASH...Identity Crisis..hilarious and tragic and well written.. and for that I shall be grateful.

http://kenlevine.blogspot.com/2018/09/rip-thad-mumford.html

• Love 4
19 hours ago, stonehaven said:

Here is a tribute to Thad Mumford from Ken Levine

Thank you for that link, @stonehaven. A true appreciation that drew comments from Mumford's writing partner, Dan Wilcox; his sister-in-law; and a intern from Season 3 of A Different World.

From Yankees batboy to Hollywood showrunner, Mumford lived public roles much-envied from the outside. Observing from the dugout or the writers' room: adjacent-to the stars. What was that like for him, from the inside, as an African-American man born in the past mid-century?

• Love 3
57 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

This one really hit me hard.  "Comin' Back to Me" is one of the most beautiful songs, ever.

That's the one I was trying to remember!  He was an amazing singer.

I haven't read all the articles, but didn't Marty Balin recently have a mouth or throat operation that affected his speaking and left him unable to sing?  It was very sad as well, but I hadn't expected this.  RIP.

• Love 2