Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

On 9/1/2018 at 10:34 AM, Ohwell said:

I don't mind open caskets, giving folks a chance to say a final goodbye.  However, I agree that in Ms. Franklin's case, the clothes changing is like some kind of macabre joke.  And I still can't get that picture of those feet out of my mind.

Speaking of funerals, I'm watching Meghan McCain right now and while I sympathize with her, I wish she didn't have such a high profile in the proceedings over the other children.  If you watch the media coverage, one would think that she was his only "true" child.

Oh, now here's James McCain.  That's it? 

I didn't get to watch John McCain's funeral until today.  I was also struck by Meghan's prominence, but I blame the media for that, not her.  And even then, she's the one they know, so they focused more on her due to that familiarity, I think.  James and Sidney McCain both spoke, but I'll assume his other children didn't because they chose not to.

Having gone through my own father's memorial service a few years ago, I have to give major props to Meghan McCain for getting through her eulogy.  I could not have done that.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I didn't get to watch John McCain's funeral until today.  I was also struck by Meghan's prominence, but I blame the media for that, not her.  And even then, she's the one they know, so they focused more on her due to that familiarity, I think.  James and Sidney McCain both spoke, but I'll assume his other children didn't because they chose not to.

Having gone through my own father's memorial service a few years ago, I have to give major props to Meghan McCain for getting through her eulogy.  I could not have done that.

According to this, from a local Phoenix media website, Bridget McCain read Ecclesiastes 3:1-2 (at least part of Ecclesiastes 3 is the basis for the song “Turn! Turn! Turn!” by The Byrds)—which I said upthread I thought had happened, although I only heard, & didn’t see it yet, & I’ve never heard Bridget McCain speak, so I was just going by a feeling.

After former Vice President Biden spoke, Andrew McCain read 2 Timothy 4:6-8.

I have to add to your props for Meghan McCain. She did manage to get through the public/televised events while likely being just on the edge of losing it (I thought particularly towards the end of her eulogy). Meghan seems to be the most emotional of all the now adult children over this; they must’ve been particularly close.

• Love 1
29 minutes ago, BW Manilowe said:

According to this, from a local Phoenix media website, Bridget McCain read Ecclesiastes 3:1-2 (at least part of Ecclesiastes 3 is the basis for the song “Turn! Turn! Turn!” by The Byrds)—which I said upthread I thought had happened, although I only heard, & didn’t see it yet, & I’ve never heard Bridget McCain speak, so I was just going by a feeling.

After former Vice President Biden spoke, Andrew McCain read 2 Timothy 4:6-8.

I have to add to your props for Meghan McCain. She did manage to get through the public/televised events while likely being just on the edge of losing it (I thought particularly towards the end of her eulogy). Meghan seems to be the most emotional of all the now adult children over this; they must’ve been particularly close. 

Or she's the one who expressesher pain like that in public. People process and show these things differetnly, especially in such a big arena I'd think. 

• Love 7

Also, don't forget that Meghan was completely free to express her pain and strong emotions. By contrast, the two sons sitting next to their mother in uniform certainly felt pressure to maintain stoic stiff upper lips, particularly with 3 former commanders-in-chief sitting across the aisle. 

• Love 9
6 minutes ago, ombelico said:

Also, don't forget that Meghan was completely free to express her pain and strong emotions. By contrast, the two sons sitting next to their mother in uniform certainly felt pressure to maintain stoic stiff upper lips, particularly with 3 former commanders-in-chief sitting across the aisle. 

I watched Obama’s eulogy and both Cindy and one of McCain’s sons (Naval Aviator) sitting next to her, smiled and laughed at some of the anecdotes Obama mentioned when the camera panned to them. And Meghan* sat with the sourpuss expression on her face that she’s famous for on The View.

*I am not a fan

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 6

Folks can express grief in many different ways (and in some cases, the most intense phases don't happen until long after a loved one's funeral). Just because some of Senator McCain's offspring didn't loudly wail or rend their garments at the services, doesn't mean they aren't mourning him. It's not as though they were singing show tunes and doing back flips during that time!

• Love 13
15 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I didn't get to watch John McCain's funeral until today.  I was also struck by Meghan's prominence, but I blame the media for that, not her.  And even then, she's the one they know, so they focused more on her due to that familiarity, I think.  James and Sidney McCain both spoke, but I'll assume his other children didn't because they chose not to.

If you read my post you could see that my point was the media focus on her.  

Also, regarding fashion at funerals (Ariana Grande), I thought that the low back on Meghan's dress was too much.  I know she was grieving but she seemed to want the focus to be on her.  I wouldn't be surprised if she made a run for Congress in the next couple of years.*

*I am not a fan either.  

• Love 6

From ET Online: Susan Brown, General Hospital Actress, Dead At 86

She played a female psychiatrist, Dr. Gail Adamson (the name of her character when she was introduced) at the fictional hospital in the show, who was also the former foster mother/mother figure of Dr. Monica Quartermaine & (of course) the best friend of Monica’s enemy at the time, Dr. Lesley Webber.

Gail would go on to marry Lee Baldwin, the widower town lawyer, eventual mayor & maybe some things I’ve forgotten, & become the stepmother of Lee’s son, Scotty. Later on, Lee & Gail & Lesley & her then-husband, Dr. Rick Webber (the person who caused the enmity that originally existed between Lesley & Monica Quartermaine), would become in-laws for awhile after Scotty Baldwin married Lesley & Rick’s daughter, Laura Webber (who eventually would abandon & divorce Scotty after falling in love with—& eventually marrying—the then town bad boy, Luke Spencer; he was the brother of then GH nurse Barbara Jean [Bobbie] Spencer).

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, crazycatlady58 said:

I saw on Facebook that Gene Wilder has passed? Anyone hear about this?

Yes, I did shortly after it happened on August 29,2016. And folks wonder why I'm not a fan of Facebook.

• Love 8
On 2018-09-03 at 11:50 AM, Ohwell said:

If you read my post you could see that my point was the media focus on her.  

Also, regarding fashion at funerals (Ariana Grande), I thought that the low back on Meghan's dress was too much.  I know she was grieving but she seemed to want the focus to be on her.  I wouldn't be surprised if she made a run for Congress in the next couple of years.*

*I am not a fan either.  

Regarding MM running for Congress.  Hope she doesn’t start to take the praise for her eulogy seriously.  I don’t believe that was all her work.  She doesn’t strike me as being a particularly bright person.

• Love 8
19 minutes ago, WarnerCL45 said:

Regarding MM running for Congress.  Hope she doesn’t start to take the praise for her eulogy seriously.  I don’t believe that was all her work.  She doesn’t strike me as being a particularly bright person.

She is intellectually bankrupt.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, WarnerCL45 said:

If she’s running, it won’t be until 2020. Governor Ducey appointed former Senator John Kyl, who served with Senator McCain, to replace him. Kyl said he’d be happy to serve through the end of this Congressional session. Beyond that/until 2020 is uncertain.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, WarnerCL45 said:

Regarding MM running for Congress.

Please tell me I’m not the only one who spends too much time in the “Across the Pond” thread and wondered how in the world Meghan Markle* was going to manage running for Congress on top of everything else she already has to do ...

(*Yes, I know that’s not the proper way to refer to her.)

• Love 11
5 minutes ago, jennblevins said:

Please tell me I’m not the only one who spends too much time in the “Across the Pond” thread and wondered how in the world Meghan Markle* was going to manage running for Congress on top of everything else she already has to do ...

She would be DOS (Duchess of Sussex). LOL

• Love 1
On 9/4/2018 at 3:27 PM, jennblevins said:

Took me a minute too.    I was like "Meghan running for congress?   Huh, what?"   Then I scrolled up and got it.

On 9/4/2018 at 3:27 PM, jennblevins said:

Heh.  I totally thought the same thing.

On 9/1/2018 at 7:34 AM, Ohwell said:

I don't mind open caskets, giving folks a chance to say a final goodbye.  However, I agree that in Ms. Franklin's case, the clothes changing is like some kind of macabre joke.  And I still can't get that picture of those feet out of my mind.

I just saw some footage of the funeral.  Now I have found something more distasteful than the changing of outfits -- people in the church taking photos of the body as it was being taken out of the church.  Do people have no sense of decency or decorum?

Edited by Brookside
missed "no" originally
  • Love 6
7 hours ago, roamyn said:

More importantly to his family, he was Peter Lawford’s son.  (His mother was Patricia Kennedy) He always  looked like his father, to me.

So young.  I wonder if his (long past) drug issues damaged his heart.  One of the lucky Kennedy family that overcame their addiction and made something of himself. 

I was surprised he lived just one year longer(63) than his father(62). I mean, the younger Mr. Lawford seemed to have cleaned himself up and actually gotten into some kind of shape the last few decades whereas his father spent the latter half of his life essentially destroying himself. Moreover; considering that his maternal grandmother Rose Fitzgerald Kennedy lived to 104, I thought those genes would have added to the longevity expectations. I guess it just goes to show that no one's promised another day. At least he seemed to have his peace the latter part of his life. RIP, Mr. Lawford.

• Love 7

Cranberries singer, Dolores O’Riordan drowned in her bathtub, after alcohol intoxication.  She was only 46.

’Linger’ is one of my all-time favorite songs, so this is sad.  I know she had trouble in the past with alcohol and cops.

• Love 8
23 minutes ago, roamyn said:

Cranberries singer, Dolores O’Riordan drowned in her bathtub, after alcohol intoxication.  She was only 46.

’Linger’ is one of my all-time favorite songs, so this is sad.  I know she had trouble in the past with alcohol and cops.

She actually died in mid-January this year. The current reports of her cause of death, by drowning in a bathtub in connection with alcohol intoxication, are apparently the findings of a coroner’s inquest into the circumstances of the death that were announced in the last day or so.

• Love 4
12 hours ago, Brookside said:

I just saw some footage of the funeral.  Now I have found something more distasteful than the changing of outfits -- people in the church taking photos of the body as it was being taken out of the church.  Do people have no sense of decency or decorum?

I remember when this issue came up after Whitney Houston's funeral, and many people pointed out that taking photos is acceptable in some social cultures. I am often surprised at traditions in different parts of the country, including wedding and baby showers, weddings, and funerals.

• Love 6
22 minutes ago, MaryMitch said:

I remember when this issue came up after Whitney Houston's funeral, and many people pointed out that taking photos is acceptable in some social cultures. I am often surprised at traditions in different parts of the country, including wedding and baby showers, weddings, and funerals.

Believe it or not this used to be very common amongst some African-Americans in the south decades ago. I can’t tell you how many pictures of dead folks I’ve come across in my grandparents photo albums. For the life of me (no pun intended) I can’t/ and could not understand why anyone would do this. Grandparents had no explanation either. Why would anyone want their last pic of someone to be them dead in a casket? But I digress. Thankfully that tradition faded years and years and years ago, at least for my family.. 

Edited by Enero
  • Love 13

I actually had an elderly friend ask me to take a picture of her sister in her casket.  Apparently it was a family tradition. It creeped me the hell out but I did it for her. And deleted the pictures from my phone as soon as I printed them out. What made me feel really bad was that she has no other family and had no other pictures of her sister. 

Taking pictures in caskets was customary in Victorian times also. 

• Love 13
14 hours ago, Brookside said:

Yeah, I think taking photos is creepy, but I've known a few people who have actually done that.  One even wanted to show me the picture and I said "uh, no thanks."

I just remembered, now I'm having a flashback, lol.  I must have been about five or six the first time I saw a photo of a dead body in a casket (I hadn't been to a funeral yet).  It was of some celebrity whose name I don't remember, it was in Jet magazine and I was so creeped out that I couldn't sleep for weeks and my mom had to let me sleep with her.

Edited by Ohwell
  • Love 5

Yeah, I definitely don't get that tradition, either. Issues of disrespect aside, it's just freaking creepy. I don't want to have photos of dead bodies lying around my house. What the hell would you do with them anyway? Pull them out at some point and have the family gather together and be all, "Awwww, remember this photo from Grandma's funeral? Look how peaceful she looks in her coffin! You picked that dress out for her, didn't you?" 

• Love 8
4 hours ago, Ohwell said:

Yeah, I think taking photos is creepy, but I've known a few people who have actually done that.  One even wanted to show me the picture and I said "uh, no thanks."

I just remembered, now I'm having a flashback, lol.  I must have been about five or six the first time I saw a photo of a dead body in a casket (I hadn't been to a funeral yet).  It was of some celebrity whose name I don't remember, it was in Jet magazine and I was so creeped out that I couldn't sleep for weeks and my mom had to let me sleep with her.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-36389581

For those in favour of open caskets, take a look.  Everyone else, don't - just remember the good times.

Edited by Brookside
  • Love 2

I've found photos taken at funerals  of family members as recently as 15 years ago. Open caskets included. They were horrifying, but at least weren't in an album, but in envelopes. They went out, because I really don't want a memento of those relatives dead or take attendance of funeral attendants.

• Love 2

He hadn't been looking well for quite a while. I wasn't a huge fan, though he was always around when I was a kid. I think my favorite role of his would have to be his very short cameo in The Golden Girls.. Heh. He was a presence though. RIP 

• Love 10

I loved Burt Reynolds. In my opinion, in the '70s and '80s, he was IT.  Best looking man ever in my book.  Usually celebrity deaths don't really get to me because it's not like I know them but this one got to me. I have so many great memories tied up with him and his movies. 

He also had the greatest laugh. 

RIP Bandit. 

• Love 18