Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

10 minutes ago, VCRTracking said:

61 is far too young. As a native San Franciscan and lifelong 49ers fan, this is a big loss.

image.thumb.png.3fa6a3503afd060a083db4aff1e4f06d.png

Word. So much respect for him, Joe Montana and the rest of the Niners from that era. So much talent. May he rest in peace.

• Love 8

I LOVE her purses. I've always wanted one. I still hope I'll get one someday. For now, I have one of her cell phone covers. :)

RIP, Kate. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Damn, I love her purses. I have had a couple. I have a handbag and the most beautiful red wallet which it took me forever to fine. She was crazy talented. Coach bought her company last year.

Rest in peace, Kate.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 3
53 minutes ago, Blergh said:

What's especially tragic about Mrs. Spade's death is that there's a young daughter who's now motherless!

A shame for the child.

I had a bracelet once.  Very poor quality.  Mfg in a sweatshop somewhere, I’m sure.

I'm so sorry for her and her family.  Depression that causes a person to go to those measures, must be incredibly powerful and overwhelming.  It's difficult to imagine.  

• Love 14

I’m really sad about Kate Spade. One because I thought she was incredibly talented(I’m lucky enough to own a pair of Kate spade earrings I got for my birthday a couple years ago) and two because depression is clearly the second one that seems to get the best of them, isn’t it? I mean yes we do hear about celebs and the other things like heart attacks, car accidents, etc but the big ones seem to be cancer and depression, at least as of late. 

• Love 12

Damn.

She was from my hometown (Kansas City); went to a Catholic girls' school not far from our neighborhood.  I always felt affection for my fellow-Midwesterner.  

Thinking of Andy, and their daughter.  

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

So, what does Ask Daddy mean? Does that mean to ask him to confirm that it's not her fault or Ask daddy, because he knows why.  ???

Yeah, this just seems like an awful thing to have been made public. We did not need to know the content of the note especially since we have no context to it. Just sad all around. 

• Love 22
2 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

So, what does Ask Daddy mean? Does that mean to ask him to confirm that it's not her fault or Ask daddy, because he knows why.  ???

I was assuming the former. But the latter might apply too. A lot of the things I've been reading most recently, this afternoon/early evening, mention depression in connection with what happened, & I don't think it'd ever been stated publicly she was fighting that issue. But the family might choose to comment on that at some point in the future, in light of her death.

So I suppose you could say "Ask Daddy!" means he would confirm the former: nothing their daughter said/didn't say or did/didn't do was related to her mother killing herself. But I suppose the latter might apply too, because maybe, if Kate was battling/struggling with depression & he knew it, but their daughter didn't, then he'd be able to explain to their daughter that the depression was what caused her suicide; it wasn't anything either of them did/didn't do or said/didn't say.

• Love 5

I just read that the couple was experiencing marital trouble, so that comment is concerning.  I hope it's not what I'm thinking now. I'll wait to see how it is handled.  That kind of thing isn't helpful for the child. I hope the note didn't include that part about the father. 

• Love 10
(edited)

I read that Andy had been apartment shopping.  And her sister wrote an extensive email to the Kansas City Star newspaper in which she said Kate suffered from years of debilitating depression and refused to get help because she was so concerned about how it would affect her “happy go lucky brand”.   Her sister tried and tried (Andy tried too) and Kate got very close to going into treatment and at the 11th hour, would not go for fear of how it would look.  So, so, so sad.  Tomorrow I’m going to carry my first KS bag that I got in the mid-90s.  It was my first really nice bag and oh, I loved it and I was such a fan of hers (from afar, of course — clearly didn’t know Kate firsthand).

Edited by MerBearHou
  • Love 9
2 hours ago, Bastet said:

Then no one other than her daughter should know what it says, unless she chooses to tell them.  I don't think a grieving 13-year-old contacted Extra, so WTF?  If the person who found her, first responders, or even another member of the family did indeed release the contents to the media, especially at this time, that's just gross.

Seriously. And in all honestly I don’t want to know what someone’s final words are to their family members, it’s private and it’s so awful and insulting that more than likely someone else gave out this information because I agree, I doubt a 13 year old contacted media outlets to share it.

• Love 17
5 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

According to ExtraThe suicide note Kate left was to her 13-year-old daughter. It read: 

Heartbreaking!

4 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

That sounds like a real dig at the father to me, she kills herself & tells her daughter to "ask daddy" about it? That sounds like she's using her daughter to get back at her husband.

• Love 10
(edited)
31 minutes ago, GaT said:

That sounds like a real dig at the father to me, she kills herself & tells her daughter to "ask daddy" about it? That sounds like she's using her daughter to get back at her husband.

That was my immediate vibe about the “ask Daddy!” Something pointed negatively toward Andy.  But could be wrong — maybe Kate hoped that by asking Daddy, Bea will be reassured over and over how much she was loved by Kate and in no way at fault.  Fascinating that Kate’s last note ever included an exclamation point.  

Edited by MerBearHou
  • Love 11

I'd like to give a hearty BOO to Extra for leaking that Mrs. Spade's alleged suicide note (and whoever supplied with them it)- needlessly adding countless heartache to her traumatized family (especially her young daughter) who already had had quite enough on their plates for the rest of their lives due to Mrs. Spade's sudden death!  What was stopping ANY of them from saying that they wouldn't heap any extra coals on this shattered family and just saying that this needed to be for ONLY the forensic and legal authorities' eyes and  the immediate adult family members ?

BOO!!!!!!!

• Love 22
8 hours ago, MerBearHou said:

That was my immediate vibe about the “ask Daddy!” Something pointed negatively toward Andy.  But could be wrong — maybe Kate hoped that by asking Daddy, Bea will be reassured over and over how much she was loved by Kate and in no way at fault.  Fascinating that Kate’s last note ever included an exclamation point.  

I just read that her husband was home, but the housekeeper found her.  Have to wonder.

The exclamation point reminds me of the Seinfeld episode & Elaine’s obsession with that punctuation.

• Love 4
(edited)
13 hours ago, GaT said:

We don't know what was all in the letter. 

If "Ask Dad!" was a last swipe at her husband or leaving him to affirm her love of her daughter a father should never have to explain that to a daughter. No amount of answers or affirmations to a child's questions will ever be good enough.

I posted this in another thread:

While it's very sad that she took her own life. I do find suicide an extremely selfish act except when someone is terminally ill or having to make a terrible choice like the 9.11 jumpers.

Valentine-Spade's selfishness is especially cruel because she just screwed up the rest of her young 13 year old daughter's life causing her a lifetime of pain and questions.ⁿ

Edited by Giselle
Amount has one "m".
  • Love 12
5 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

First, we don't even know if the media reports as to the contents of the note were true.  No one who would know for sure has commented, nor should they.  I hope it is not the real note and that whoever gave the information to the press is exposed for the low life they are.

Second, suicide is not selfish, it is a consequence of a disease: mental illness.  Ms. Spade was mentally ill, her family has confirmed that; and, due to that issue, was not capable of discerning just how devastating her death would be to her friends  and family, especially her daughter. Believe me, Ms. Spade undoubtedly felt her daughter's life would be far more screwed up if she lived than if she died. KATE SPADE HAD A DISEASE and her death was no more selfish or cruel that if she had died from cancer or a heart attack.

So... I see it as selfish.

We will have to agree to disagree.

Have a nice day.

• Love 7
14 hours ago, MerBearHou said:

I read that Andy had been apartment shopping.  And her sister wrote an extensive email to the Kansas City Star newspaper in which she said Kate suffered from years of debilitating depression and refused to get help because she was so concerned about how it would affect her “happy go lucky brand”.   Her sister tried and tried (Andy tried too) and Kate got very close to going into treatment and at the 11th hour, would not go for fear of how it would look.  So, so, so sad.  Tomorrow I’m going to carry my first KS bag that I got in the mid-90s.  It was my first really nice bag and oh, I loved it and I was such a fan of hers (from afar, of course — clearly didn’t know Kate firsthand).

Here's a Link to the Article the Kansas City Star Did Based on Kate's Sister's Comments 

The sister says here that, instead of going for the treatment she needed Kate would self-medicate with alcohol (so maybe she could've also been an alcoholic by the time she died?). Also, she was apparently fascinated by Robin Williams' suicide in 2014; she would always watch the coverage about it on TV. Her sister wonders if perhaps Kate had suicidal thoughts that far back.

CBS News is Reporting Spade's Sister Says She May Have Had (Untreated) Bipolar Disorder

People Magazine and Other Sources Are Reporting Kate's Family's 'Disgusted' After Her Sister Claimed Kate's Suicide Wasn't Unexpected by Her

Kate's family is also claiming the sister has been estranged from her entire family for 10 years (I think the article said); sounds like they're trying to paint her as being shades of the Duchess of Sussex's batshit sister. Kate's sister claimed in the article that they would talk frequently on the phone, for 6-7 hours at a time, before Kate's death.

The New York Post's 'Page Six' Column Says Kate's Suicide Came After Her Husband Sought a Divorce

• Love 2
(edited)
2 hours ago, Giselle said:

Valentine-Spade's selfishness is especially cruel because she just screwed up the rest of her young 13 year old daughter's life causing her a lifetime of pain and questions.ⁿ

During an intense roundtable discussion years ago, we were asked by a participant who happened to be a psychiatrist if any of us had ever considered suicide.  I answered "NO...what a terrible legacy that would be to leave for my children."  He looked at me as though he thought I was crazy, and asked what type of answer did I think that was.  I responded that it was an honest answer because I love my kids enough that I would never hurt them so and leave them with the inevitable question of "Why" as to why I'd do that and why I felt there was no-one to go to for help.  I stand by that answer yet today.

Edited by Tunia
  • Love 10

I feel very saddened by the death of Kate Spade, especially if it is suicide. Suicide is always such a tragedy, and pointless - as I read somewhere, but don't remember the source, it's a permanent solution to a temporary problem.

I did considered the option of suicide twice in my life, only to reject it because, once again, life is ebb and flow, there are lows, there are highs, and no low is ever permanent. And each time, the future held promises, when I was a teen, and later when I had a child that I couldn't have hurt that way.

So suicide seems to me the saddest tragedy of them all, because it means you are literally hopeless, have no hope of things ever improving. And therefore I have a hard time with this news about Kate Spade. She had a child, a 13 year old child. She sold her brand a year after her daughter was born, which I'm sure must have been a tough adjustment. But still, she took time to see her grow up. And I'm devastated with the last message, as read in the Guardian, saying "I've always loved you, it's not your fault", which is so heavy for a teenager and brings to mind that maybe she would think it was her fault. "Ask Daddy" is tough too, that daughter will need a lot of help and support from her dad, and "Ask Daddy" why mom killed herself is a very tough legacy.

I really hope for the daughter's sake that the trigger to her mother's suicide wasn't some falling out between the parents -

Once again, suicide is so often "didn't have to be", wait a few days, weeks or months, and you'll be fine again, and be there for the people who love you. 

• Love 10

It's hard to sort through what is true about Ms. Spade. Does anyone know if the daughter lived with her or was in boarding school. With the allegations that I've read, I'm wondering how she was able to care for the child due to her illness and other issues. 

• Love 1

The act may be the result of a disease, I'm not weighing in on that, but the way she did it- the timing if her husband was getting a divorce, with her husband home, and then leaving that letter that may point to him- seems a little deliberately cruel, and will add to the devastation both for him and her daughter.

• Love 6

Well, I suppose the family has the right to not make any public statements.  There is a child to consider, but, to me,  when a tragedy occurs like this, why deny the truth? Why contradict what the sister said about how she tried to get her help and she refused?   Why say things like the woman was prefect, she was great all the time, no sign of troubles, no issues, happy marriage, etc... Really? I just don't buy it.  To me, it would be important to be honest, so something can be learned, like warning signs for people in need of help.  Maybe, it's just too painful at this point. 

https://people.com/style/kate-spade-andy-spade-seemed-perfect-family-marital-troubles/

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

For people coping with chronic depression, though, that is simply not true.  We can't judge depressed minds for acting in ways a typical mind would not, because their very reality is different.

I was in chronic depression years ago and yes, part of me still knew it would get better, even it it seemed impossible at the time. The human mind is amazing in that way, even when Thanatos was hovering, I knew that there was still more to live for.

But it's not a ballpark thing, I realise that somehow, for some reason, I got lucky and got this life force that got me to survive and go on living as best as I can. 

I do think though that depressed minds act as if there was no future for them, and that's why I find it even more tragic when there is the very real future of a 13 year old who will have to grow without her mother. 

• Love 7

From the nytimes, Andy Spade's statement.

"Kate was the most beautiful woman in the world. She was the kindest person I’ve ever known and my best friend for 35 years. My daughter and I are devastated by her loss, and can’t even begin to fathom life without her. We are deeply heartbroken and miss her already.

Kate suffered from depression and anxiety for many years. She was actively seeking help and working closely with her doctors to treat her disease, one that takes far too many lives. We were in touch with her the night before and she sounded happy. There was no indication and no warning that she would do this. It was a complete shock. And it clearly wasn’t her. There were personal demons she was battling.

For the past 10 months we had been living separately, but within a few blocks of each other. Bea was living with both of us and we saw each other or spoke every day. We ate many meals together as a family and continued to vacation together as a family. Our daughter was our priority. We were not legally separated, and never even discussed divorce. We were best friends trying to work through our problems in the best way we knew how. We were together for 35 years. We loved each other very much and simply needed a break.

This is the truth. Anything else that is out there right now is false. She was actively seeking help for depression and anxiety over the last 5 years, seeing a doctor on a regular basis and taking medication for both depression and anxiety. There was no substance or alcohol abuse. There were no business problems. We loved creating our businesses together. We were co-parenting our beautiful daughter. I have yet to see any note left behind and am appalled that a private message to my daughter has been so heartlessly shared with the media.

My main concern is Bea and protecting her privacy as she deals with the unimaginable grief of losing her mother. Kate loved Bea so very much."

• Love 19
(edited)
2 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Well, I suppose the family has the right to not make any public statements.  There is a child to consider, but, to me,  when a tragedy occurs like this, why deny the truth? Why contradict what the sister said about how she tried to get her help and she refused?   Why say things like the woman was prefect, she was great all the time, no sign of troubles, no issues, happy marriage, etc... Really? I just don't buy it.  To me, it would be important to be honest, so something can be learned, like warning signs for people in need of help.  Maybe, it's just too painful at this point. 

https://people.com/style/kate-spade-andy-spade-seemed-perfect-family-marital-troubles/

The People article is based on the impressions of one of their family friends who specifically said that she never saw any problems with Spade or her marriage; but. behind closed doors, who knows what really happens?  Exactly right and not a denial of her depression.

Andy Spade has issued a statement indicating that they were separated for the past 10 months but were trying to work things out and that there were no plans for divorce.  He also said she had struggled with depression and anxiety for the past 6 years for which she had sought medical care and treatment.  Finally, he said he was in contact with her the night before she died and she seemed fine, giving no indication that she was suicidal at that time.  He also acknowledged the suicide note that was published and that no one in the family had even seen it before it was published and said that the breach of privacy was 'heartless'.  He also said the sister who gave the interview was estranged from the rest of the family except for Kate who spoke to her occasionally and that her sister's assertion that Kate was an alcoholic and that there were problems with their business are completely false/.  He asked for privacy and consideration of their daughter's feelings.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/fashion/kate-spade’s-death-‘there-was-no-indication-and-no-warning’-says-her-husband/ar-AAyj62g?ocid=spartanntp

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 3