Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

Earl Hamner also died this year.

I honestly think the majority of celebrities who died this year were musicians, but even that might feel overstated because a few particularly iconic musicians died this year, which made them seem bigger.

And yes, Prince died on April 21st, 2016, a few weeks after Merle Haggard died on his 79th birthday, April 6th, 2016 (I am cursed with a good memory).

At least the Curse of the Billy Goat died this year, too! 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, UYI said:

At least the Curse of the Billy Goat died this year, too! 

That is the only death this year to be celebrated, that's for dadgum sure! Even if the Cubs don't win another in my lifetime, to have it happen for them this year is something that I will very much treasure!

• Love 2
5 hours ago, bmasters9 said:

That is the only death this year to be celebrated, that's for dadgum sure! Even if the Cubs don't win another in my lifetime, to have it happen for them this year is something that I will very much treasure!

Hey!  The Curse of Cleveland Sports died too!

Which was even sadder than any other sports curse.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, UYI said:

Earl Hamner also died this year.

I honestly think the majority of celebrities who died this year were musicians, but even that might feel overstated because a few particularly iconic musicians died this year, which made them seem bigger.

And yes, Prince died on April 21st, 2016, a few weeks after Merle Haggard died on his 79th birthday, April 6th, 2016 (I am cursed with a good memory).

Also Janet Waldo, who was best known as the voice of Judy Jetson.

Milt Okun died recently too...he was a HUGE music producer...in fact another producer died earlier this year..Jerry Weintraub...and a few session players...Pete Huttlinger among them...and songwriters too..music really took the hits this year...and Prince's death has been the hardest for Minnesotans...to lose Prince and Bobby Vee in one year...our state wants this year to end.

4 hours ago, roamyn said:

Hey!  The Curse of Cleveland Sports died too!

Which was even sadder than any other sports curse.

I'll admit, I always feel a little bad when I bring this up here, because I know you love the Indians so much. I promise I'm not trying to make you upset or mad at me! Because the Cavs winning this year was another great thing too, and with a thread like this in general, and especially this year, it's good to mention happy things that have happened this year. :)

• Love 1

I'm watching The Godfather Epic for the first time (where they place the story in chronological order and they put in all the scenes they cut from the first two films), and I started looking up random minor characters and saw that Julie Gregg who played Sandra Corleone (Sonny's wife) died on November 7.

• Love 2

I can't find it on their website, but Turner Classic Movies posted their annual 'in memoriam' video on their Facebook page.  I was aware of most of them, but there were several that where I hadn't known their names, but I recognized their faces when I saw the clip.  

• Love 1

Dr. Henry Heimlich, inventor of the Heimlich Maneuver which saves people from choking, died due to complications from a massive heart attack suffered on Monday. He was 96. He & actor/director Anson Williams (best known as Richie's friend Warren "Potsie" Weber on Happy Days) were also first cousins once removed (Anson's birth name was Anson William Heimlich).

http://www.wcpo.com/news/local-news/hamilton-county/cincinnati/dr-henry-heimlich-inventor-of-famed-anti-choking-heimlich-maneuver-dies

Edited by BW Manilowe
To fix spacing. Then to fix spelling & remove a comma.
  • Love 6
On 12/15/2016 at 7:20 AM, legaleagle53 said:

As for 2016, I'm resigned to the fact that it wants to go out in a blaze of glory.  Somebody needs to keep an eye on Betty White, Dick Van Dyke, and Christopher Plummer.

Death needs to slow their roll for a minute. I'm more worried about Tim Curry than I care to admit.

I will say it was nice to see the Billy Goat Curse die. If only to witness the pure joy on my life-long Cubs fan husband's face.

• Love 2

Of course the man who saved many lives died.

It's 2016s goal to kill everyone.

1 minute ago, random chance said:

Anybody else wonder if some time traveler went back and fixed it so the Cubs win, and the rest of 2016 is the result? (I watch too much sci-fi.)

And put Cleveland sports fans out of their misery. 

13 hours ago, UYI said:

I'll admit, I always feel a little bad when I bring this up here, because I know you love the Indians so much. I promise I'm not trying to make you upset or mad at me! Because the Cavs winning this year was another great thing too, and with a thread like this in general, and especially this year, it's good to mention happy things that have happened this year. :)

That's okay.  I'm better.  LOL. And Cubs fans SHOULD be happy.

I got my nails done this morning, and a Cubs fans was getting a pedicure.  We had a great conversation. (I lived 6.5 years in Schaumburg, IL .)

• Love 1
11 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

Dr. Henry Heimlich, inventor of the Heimlich Maneuver which saves people from choking, died due to complications from a massive heart attack suffered on Monday. He was 96.

10 hours ago, roamyn said:

Of course the man who saved many lives died.

To be honest, I thought he'd already died a while ago.  For me, he's that surprise celebrity death of the year.  And at least it wasn't an ironic death in his case.

12 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

Dr. Henry Heimlich, inventor of the Heimlich Maneuver which saves people from choking, died due to complications from a massive heart attack suffered on Monday. He was 96. He & actor/director Anson Williams (best known as Richie's friend Warren "Potsie" Weber on Happy Days) were also first cousins once removed (Anson's birth name was Anson William Heimlich).

http://www.wcpo.com/news/local-news/hamilton-county/cincinnati/dr-henry-heimlich-inventor-of-famed-anti-choking-heimlich-maneuver-dies

Somehow it wouldn't surprise me if the performer called Mr. Williams would have been more eager to brag up being related to Dr. Heimlich than vice versa.

Regardless, the world owes him a great debt and that includes my family since my mother's life was saved by said maneuver. RIP and thank you, Dr. Heimlich!

• Love 3

Due to my grandmother's fondness for Merv Griffin, the Gabors were part of my life growing up. While Eva was the smart one* and the most talented, Zsa Zsa was undoubtedly the biggest personality.  There will never be another like her.

*Not only a shrewd businesswoman, but the only one of the 3 sisters who did not marry George Sanders.

• Love 6

Damn, 2016 is determined to go out in a blaze of glory.   Taking Zsa Zsa.   Although as noted, she has had numerous health issues for many years.   At least she is no longer in pain.   But I bet she looked fabulous, dahling, when she showed up at the Pearly Gates.    You know St. Peter let her in.

• Love 7

That's disappointing. I was hoping for Zsa Zsa to make it to her hundredth birthday. It would have been less than two months away. However, since she did have health issues, it is good that her suffering is over. I didn't realize that she had been on life support for a few years now. 

58 minutes ago, ABay said:

*Not only a shrewd businesswoman, but the only one of the 3 sisters who did not marry George Sanders.

Wow.  I just looked him up and I didn't know that he married Zsa Zsa and Magda (even though Zsa Zsa reportedly set them up).  What a dashing cad.  *giggle*

1 hour ago, legaleagle53 said:

It's being reported in several places that Zsa Zsa Gabor (whom some people call "the original Kim Kardashian") is dead at 99 from a heart attack. 

Nyugodj békében, Gábor-né (rest in peace, Ms. Gabor)!

Anyone who calls her the original Paris or Kim needs to be struck by lightning. Full stop.

RIP, Zsa Zsa. I wish she had made it to 100, but 99 isn't bad at all. 

• Love 9
5 hours ago, UYI said:

Anyone who calls her the original Paris or Kim needs to be struck by lightning. Full stop.

RIP, Zsa Zsa. I wish she had made it to 100, but 99 isn't bad at all. 

Ah, but she was Paris Hilton's half-great-aunt Francesca's mother so there's a connection.

Sadly, though Miss Gabor outlived ALL other original members of her family including said daughter and was in terrible health for a good many years. Ironically, she herself had kept quiet the news re the death of her baby  sister Eva from their ancient mother Jolie the last two years of the older woman's life but it's unknown whether her last husband Frederick who had long feuded with Francesca actually kept the news of her only child's death from her.

• Love 1

Her husband sounds like a real asshole, so I hope either he had a redeeming moment and didn't tell her her daughter died or she wouldn't have been able to understand the news, anyway; forget reaching the 100 milestone, her health seems to have been so awful for so long, if she was my loved one I'd be relieved and sorry she didn't die sooner.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

That's disappointing. I was hoping for Zsa Zsa to make it to her hundredth birthday. It would have been less than two months away. However, since she did have health issues, it is good that her suffering is over. I didn't realize that she had been on life support for a few years now. 

Is her "prince" husband still alive? I keep wondering when we will hear from him.

but it's unknown whether her last husband Frederick who had long feuded with Francesca actually kept the news of her only child's death from her.

I read in one of the articles discussing her death that she was not told Francesca had died. By that time,she had advanced dementia and didn't even remember who she was, much less her daughter.

I knew she was in poor health but I didn't realize the extent of it. Deaf, blind, dementia, had a leg amputated, and partially paralyzed. I also read that her daughter was suspecting the "Prince" was elder abusing her. Poor woman. Glad she's free of that now and sorry she had to suffer so long.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, AgentRXS said:

I read in one of the articles discussing her death that she was not told Francesca had died. By that time,she had advanced dementia and didn't even remember who she was, much less her daughter.

I knew she was in poor health but I didn't realize the extent of it. Deaf, blind, dementia, had a leg amputated, and partially paralyzed. I also read that her daughter was suspecting the "Prince" was elder abusing her. Poor woman. Glad she's free of that now and sorry she had to suffer so long.

Amen to that!  It's hard to imagine a more wretched existence than that (and I also read she had a feeding tube)!

Let's not forget that he attempted to claim paternity of Anna Nicole Smith's daughter after Miss Smith's death but DNA proved otherwise. Can anyone imagine  Miss Gabor in her heyday not divorcing him in a Budapest minute for that?

And what's REALLY scary here is that when one considers how many elderly celebrities have wound up  allegedly having suffered elder abuse  even with family members knowing about it and trying to put  stop to it(e.g. Mickey Rooney, Brooke Astor, Casey Kasem) , how much worse is it for ordinary elderly folks? Would it be too much hope that somehow this help spur mandating actual legal protections with teeth for our elders?

• Love 6

Brooke Astor's grandson had to take his father to Court, because he believe she was being abused financially & emotionally.  The grandson won, for the short remainder of her long life.

Hugette Clark, another 100+ old, was being abused financially & emotionally.  Her "attorney" & "financial advisor" were removed and I believe charges filed agsinst them.

On 9/18/2016 at 1:51 PM, Vera said:

www.charmiancarr.com

'Liesl' from the Sound of Music, Charmian Carr, has died of complications from a rare form of dementia at the age of 73.

The Sound of Music was on network TV last night for the first time since she died 3 months ago.

So now I'm sad again, or at least bittersweet.  It was good to see Liesl again.

• Love 1

That is rather sweet of Leo to do that. It does seem to show that he had either a respect for Growing Pains on his career (if it did help him in any way) or a respect for Alan Thicke. I think Growing Pains was before he really hit his big break, so it's really nice to see that he appreciates a role that seems so small for him now. 

• Love 1

DiCaprio took to social media following Thicke's death to talk about the lasting influence his time with Thicke on Growing Pains had:

Alan was a devoted father, husband, friend and role model. He knew how to harness the power of the entertainment industry to be a positive influence in so many lives - including mine. I will be forever grateful for the opportunity I had to work with Alan early in my career. He had tremendous class, a huge heart, and he taught me and so many others the valuable lessons about humility and gratitude. I've seen him a number of times over the years and when Alan Thicke walked in the room, quite frankly, no one was cooler. I miss him already - my thoughts and prayers are with the entire Thicke family during this difficult time.

Nice that he also turned up for the service.  Kirk Cameron, Joanna Kerns, Tracey Gold, and Jeremy Miller were all in attendance as well, so Growing Pains was well represented.  Here was Kerns' statement following the news of Thicke's death:

I loved Al. I called him Al because it really bugged him. He thought it sounded like an old man's name. He hated it, but the cast loved it and unfortunately for him, it stuck.

Alan loved everything youthful: women, sports, music and above all, his beautiful and talented sons, Brennan, Robin and Carter. Alan was a true and loyal friend. As Maggie and Jason Seaver, we experienced more than a life-changing success together. When you pretend to love someone day after day, year after year, you see all their faults and foibles and learn to accept them as they are, separate from you, and there is a connection that happens that is hard to explain. I had that with Alan. Maybe that's what marriage should be, the ability to love without judgment and the strength to remain separate.

I am devastated by Alan's passing and will be for some time. I used to joke, before I met my real husband, Marc, that Alan was my favorite daytime husband. At work we laughed all day, everyday at things Alan would come up with, usually at my expense. It was fun. Alan was fun and we all loved teasing each other. Alan kept me calm and when I'd start to get upset about something silly, he would set things straight, give me a big hug and very gently say, 'Maggie … don't be an asshole.'

There was a sweetness and kindness to his humor. No one could make fun of Alan better than Alan. As an actor, that is a gift, and I truly believe he was underrated.

So here's to my dear friend Al, may you rest in peace and may your angels be youthful, tall, buxom and witty. May they also be as gorgeous as all of your wives and as generous and clever as you.

• Love 20

Speaking of DiCaprio, while the Billy Goat and Cleveland Curses died this year, the first "curse" 2016 killed was Leo's Oscar drought. Clearly, he time traveled from the future and messed up the timeline, although if he was trying to end climate change, I think that backfired for him. It's kind of funny to imagine him conversing with Kirk Cameron, as they seem to have become the polar opposites of each other.

Joking aside, it was really sweet of him to attend the memorial service. 

• Love 4
On 12/18/2016 at 6:52 PM, merylinkid said:

Damn, 2016 is determined to go out in a blaze of glory.   Taking Zsa Zsa.   Although as noted, she has had numerous health issues for many years.   At least she is no longer in pain.   But I bet she looked fabulous, dahling, when she showed up at the Pearly Gates.    You know St. Peter let her in.

No, I'm pretty sure the Lord Himself let her in.  You think Zsa Zsa was going to be shown around by the help????

To go back to recapping this year, we also lost Sagan Lewis, who played Dr. Jackie Wade on St. Elsewhere.  She's not on that "Fifties Web" page either.

• Love 6