Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

I wouldn't be surprised if it was the flu.  My doctor told me when I turned fifty that I really had to get my flu shot every year; and think about Prince who was performing and traveling and around lots of people. 

I'm sad.  I have the Purple Rain album.  What's very strange is that Vanity died this year too.

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 6

What's very strange is that Vanity died this year too.

And she was also 57.   I'm wondering who updates websites like the IMDB and Wikipedia, and how they verify this kind of information.

MTV is liveblogging, if that's what it's called

MTV Remembers Prince,

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oniss8TI3lU

edited for bandwidth.

Edited by atomationage

Damn.   I really almost didn't believe it at first because this year has been too much.

RIP Prince.

Someone please compare this year to other years.    Please tell me this year is no different for the number of deaths than any other year, it's just more familiar names due to age.    Because if 2016 really does have it out for the celebs of my era I am going to have words with someone.

2003 had a lot of celebrity deaths (Katharine Hepburn, Bob Hope, June & Johnny Cash, John Ritter). For some reason that still sticks out to me. 

Edited by UYI
  • Love 1

I heartily disliked Prince's music, but I can't say I'm happy for his decease,

Same. I was never a fan but I know he meant so much to so many people that his death makes me sad for his fans.

So many celebrity deaths this year.

• Love 2
Maharincess, on 21 Apr 2016 - 12:37 PM, said:

Same. I was never a fan but I know he meant so much to so many people that his death makes me sad for his fans.

So many celebrity deaths this year.

Ditto.  He wasn't even remotely my cup of tea, but I've no doubt that his fans are devastated, and my heart goes out to them.  He was only two years older than I am -- that's too.  Damn. YOUNG.

Had enough yet, 2016?  Because you're really starting to piss us all off!

• Love 6

Tonight he's gonna party like it's 1999

That was always my favorite song of his.

I don't really watch the Super Bowl, but I remember his half time show and how impressed I was that he still had it.  So sad.  Fifty seven is way too young.

• Love 1

I couldn't believe it when I heard the news.  He was a big part of my teen years.  I was listening to a reporter from Entertainment Weekly earlier and she had a very recent interview with him and she said this was so shocking because he looked like he wasn't a day over 40 years old, looked healthy and, because he was a devout Jehovah's Witness, he didn't drink, do drugs, ate healthy and didn't eat red meat. 

She also talked about what a nice, friendly, open guy he was, as well as a humanitarian and I like hearing that because he always seemed so closed off that at times he even seemed a bit odd.  He definitely had some odd things about him, but he was mostly a normal, loving man. 

I still can't believe it.  As a friend of mine said a couple of years ago:  We're getting to an age where these deaths really mean something.

• Love 8

You guys, I was running errands and the radio stations kept playing Prince songs. And I'm like... did something happen to Prince?? Condolences to his family and friends.

• Love 1

I can't say I was a HUGE fan of Prince's, but I was a fan. I remember loving his songs,  "Delirious," "Little Red Corvette," and then the album, Purple Rain. a BIG part of my teenage years.

So, I finish a  job interview, walk out, and what do I see on my screen? CNN talking about Prince being dead at 57. Seriously, I had flashbacks to when Michael Jackson died, and the first thing I asked the receptionist was, "is this a hoax?"

RIP, Prince.

And SCREW YOU, 2016!

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 2

So, I finish a  job interview, walk out, and what do I see on my screen? CNN talking about Prince being dead at 57. Seriously, I had flashbacks to when Michael Jackson died, and the first thing I asked the receptionist was, "is this a hoax?"

I suppose you can be glad you didn't see the news before your interview.  :-(

• Love 2

I've been on the verge of blubbering since I heard the news.  

I don't want to quote the poster who said Prince was "fairly original" because I don't want to call him or her out, but I just had to say that, first of all, I don't even know what "fairly" original means.  You're either original or you're not, IMO.  Second, this was fucking PRINCE.  There was nothing "fairly" original about him at all.  He was THE original Prince.

I usually eat pretty healthy but I went out and got a bag of Cinnabons.  Gonna stuff my face and then have a drink later.   I did not know the man, but I am gutted.

Rest in Peace, Prince.  Say hello to Vanity for me.

• Love 10
He was a big part of my teen years.  I was listening to a reporter from Entertainment Weekly earlier and she had a very recent interview with him and she said this was so shocking because he looked like he wasn't a day over 40 years old, looked healthy and, because he was a devout Jehovah's Witness, he didn't drink, do drugs, ate healthy and didn't eat red meat.

I think I read that interview a little while ago. She said he thought she needed a snack and got the chef to make her a quesadilla. I don't know why that stuck with me. 

• Love 2

Bowie was a little early for me. The first song I heard was "Let's dance." Prince was in my wheelhouse though. Being a teen with mtv.

My first Bowie song was "Fame", but it was one of my sister's records. I was always stealing her records and playing them. I used to use my allowance and buy 45 rpms (yes I'm that old lol) for $1. Prince's "I Wanna Be Your Lover" was the first song I heard on the radio and the first 45 of his I purchased until I started buying albums. Sigh I miss music on vinyl.

• Love 1

When Arsenio Hall had his show revived for awhile a couple years ago he had prince on. I remember Prince saying he didn't/couldn't cook much but could make really good omelettes. They've said on the news that he was vegan so it's making me wonder what kind of omelettes vegans eat.

You can make egg white only omelettes.

I think I do remember I wanna be your lover on the radio. I guess I was actually earlier than a teen when 1999 came out. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Wanna_Be_Your_Lover

"I Wanna Be Your Lover" is a song by American recording artist Prince. It was recorded in 1979 as part of a group of songs Prince hastily wrote and recorded when Warner Bros. asked for a follow-up to his debut album, For You, which did not fare well on the pop charts (peaking at No. 163) and did not contain a hit single. In response, Prince recorded "I Wanna Be Your Lover." It turned out to be his first successful single and first top 40 hit, scoring two weeks at number one on the R&B singles chart in December 1979 and peaking at number eleven on the Billboard Hot 100.[2]

"I Wanna Be Your Lover" was released on August 24, 1979 as the lead single from his second album, Prince. Musically, it is a disco-pop song sung exclusively in falsetto, detailing Prince's love for a woman and how he would treat her better than the men she is with, and frustration that she thinks of him as "a child". The single edit stops after 2:57, but the album version goes off on a tirade of keyboards and synthesizers, played by Prince.

Even if he ate an egg white omelete, wouldn't that make him a vegetarian and not a vegan?

I held back the tears until just a bit ago when I got into the car and the news station I listen to was just coming back from a commercial with "Raspberry Beret" as it's bumper music.  All it took was the "One, two, three, four..." and my eyes were wet. I've been shocked and sad about many celebrity deaths, but the only ones I've actually shed tears for are John Ritter, Robin Williams and now Prince. 

• Love 3

Here's the clip from the Arsenio Hall show where he answers questions from fans and the omelette one is at about 2:56 in. As a side note apparently it was his last talk show appearance too and if you look at Arsenio's account on YT the full episode is posted too.

Edited by Jaded
  • Love 3

Not Prince!

Fuck this year! Fuck this whole week!

*Edited to comment that I guess it takes a big music legend's death for MTV to actually play music videos, if only for one day.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 9
I don't want to quote the poster who said Prince was "fairly original" because I don't want to call him or her out, but I just had to say that, first of all, I don't even know what "fairly" original means.  You're either original or you're not, IMO.  Second, this was fucking PRINCE.  There was nothing "fairly" original about him at all.  He was THE original Prince.

That was me, and it would have been no issue to quote me.  I didn't give it a whole lot of thought, as I was just musing on my recent re-listen of his music after a long time without hearing it, but the "fairly" was basically a nod to the artists whose influence could be seen in his music, and the "original" a testament to the individual style we'll never see again. 

Seriously, I had flashbacks to when Michael Jackson died, and the first thing I asked the receptionist was, "is this a hoax?"

I thought of Michael Jackson, too.  I remember emailing back and forth with a friend that day about Farrah Fawcett's death, and seeing a headline on the LA Times website that some other outlet was reporting Michael Jackson had died.  I included the link in my latest email to her, but with a "this can't be true" sentiment.  I thought I'd read somewhere after Prince's recent emergency landing that some website had erroneously (or as a hoax) reported he was dead, so when I first saw today's headline I had the same initial reaction -- this can't be right.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 1

That's why I'm confused. I feel silly even mentioning it though.

He was a vegan, but maybe he cooked them for guests? In googling to see if he turned vegan recently (because you piqued my interest), I found this article about "what in Prince's fridge", and he kept Braunschweiger in there, so perhaps he kept things around for his meat-eating friends.

Also, Prince keeping 5 pounds of Dunkaroos on hand might be the most endearing thing I've ever read.

Edited by Princess Sparkle
  • Love 5

Not Prince!

Fuck this year! Fuck this whole week!

*Edited to comment that I guess it takes a big music legend's death for MTV to actually play music videos, if only for one day.

They are playing like one video and 10 minutes of commercials. MTV still useless.

• Love 5
That was me, and it would have been no issue to quote me.  I didn't give it a whole lot of thought, as I was just musing on my recent re-listen of his music after a long time without hearing it, but the "fairly" was basically a nod to the artists whose influence could be seen in his music, and the "original" a testament to the individual style we'll never see again.

Got it.  I'm just fucked up right now.

This Prince news is the saddest I have felt about a celebrity death since MJ. I love Prince. He was always my example when I tried to come up with music 98% of people would like at a school dance or wedding. I'm like, everybody likes Prince. I don't know if any artists that are still living could please 98% of people.

Sadly, coincidentally: Percy Sledge's (who died yesterday a year ago) "When a Man Loves a Woman."

I'm wondering who updates websites like the IMDB and Wikipedia, and how they verify this kind of information.

I do. You do (you can). We all do. And we correct errors when we see 'em.

...I was listening to a reporter from Entertainment Weekly earlier and she had a very recent interview with him and she said this was so shocking because he looked like he wasn't a day over 40 years old, looked healthy and, because he was a devout Jehovah's Witness, he didn't drink, do drugs, ate healthy and didn't eat red meat.

Me too and I've got stage IV cancer. Some of us aren't as strong on the inside as we are on the outside.

I wasn't a "fan" because I was too busy taking care of babies in his heyday, but his style of guitar playing is what I loved and still appreciate. And his singing too.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 3

Wow. Like everything else about Prince, even his death is slightly weird.

I actually somehow didn't know about it until a few minutes ago too (somehow I saw the Chyna news earlier but not Prince). 

Whitney Houston, Michael Jackson, and now Prince...the iconic pop musicians of my childhood are all gone, with the exception of Madonna.

Madonna has had so many parts replaced... she might not even be the same person by now!

To her credit, unlike a lot of those others, I don't think she ever had any major substance abuse (maybe alcohol at some point, I think).

I guess Britney might be on such a list too, even if a few years later. "Iconic" doesn't always mean "good", after all.

My dad is probably one of the biggest Prince fans on earth. Prince's music was basically the soundtrack to my childhood. When I was a baby my dad would dance with me and blast Prince songs. He claims that "When Doves Cry" was the only thing that could get me to calm down. My whole family is devestated. It feels silly to cry over the death of someone I never met but I've been fighting tears all day. There will never be another Prince. Nobody even comes close to that level of talent. RIP

• Love 14

I actually somehow didn't know about it until a few minutes ago too (somehow I saw the Chyna news earlier but not Prince).

Madonna has had so many parts replaced... she might not even be the same person by now!

To her credit, unlike a lot of those others, I don't think she ever had any major substance abuse (maybe alcohol at some point, I think).

Prince had substance abuse issues? I thought he was also one of the few that didn't go down the path of addiction.

It's unbelievable that so many iconic artists from the 80s are now dead none of whom made it to 60 or barely got there. Such a shame. He performed here in Atlanta last week. It was a concert that he'd rescheduled due to illness. Fans who attended said that he was fantastic. Who knew he'd be gone a week later. So sad.

Edited by Enero
  • Love 3

Ok, so this one really sucks, and its possible that I am not being rational.  But, this is the first recent death, where I am sort of taking it personally if someone is not as despondent as I am.  Yes, others have died recently, as have icons from his era.  But this is PRINCE...PRINCE!!!  I believe that there is a group of people that were born within 5-10 years of each other to whom this is just devastating and I am one of them (for the record I was born in 1969 and bought Controversy when I was 10 because I liked the cover(!!).   I loved and was scandalized by 1999 and when Purple Rain came around I was all in.  I think I saw it in the theaters 5 times, and half of those times I had to bribe an adult to buy my ticket because I wasn't 17 yet. I will never forget how transported I became in that music and in Prince himself.  He was small, bedazzled, mocha, high-heeled, ruffled and made up and was still the sexiest thing my 15 year old self had seen since Matt Dillon in Little Darlings.

I have been watching CNN all day, along with Prince's greatest live performances on YouTube (with tears streaming down my face), and I will give credit to whoever the female CNN reporter was who was doing the initial reporting.  She is probably about my age (sorry don't know her name), but she also seemed to understand how big of a deal this was to so many people and she reported the news while seeming to genuinely grieve.  I don't know, I just find myself getting annoyed when Prince is lumped in with Whitney Houston and Michael Jackson.  Prince, like David Bowie, took his influences and then expanded on them, and became more than color, gender, sexuality, musical genre, age, etc.  There will never be anyone like him again, and as silly as selfish as it may seem, I want people to understand that and grieve accordingly.  Sheila E., Morris Day, Sheena Easton, Vanity, Appolonia, Wendy & Lisa, The Bangles, and those are the only people I can think of off the top of my head.  I am so, so sad. RIP.

Edited by Deanie87
  • Love 8

I don't know, I just find myself getting annoyed when Prince is lumped in with Whitney Houston and Michael Jackson.

I think I understand.  They were great musicians and icons, but I do believe Prince was on a different level.  Another thing, too, the EW reporter whose interview I mentioned in a previous post said that while Michael and Whitney were sad and surprising, they weren't shocking because they were troubled souls.  Prince wasn't, as far as anyone knew.  A bit different and shy, for sure, but not troubled.  Someone earlier said something about drugs, but I don't think I've heard anything about that being a part of his life at any time.

He was small, bedazzled, mocha, high-heeled, ruffled and made up and was still the sexiest thing my 15 year old self had seen since Matt Dillon in Little Darlings.

I just posted in the music forum that while his sexuality was a little overwhelming for me at the time, I am amazed at how hot and sexy he managed to be in spite of the androgyny.  I saw the Kiss video today for the first time in what feels like forever and damn....just damn.

• Love 12

I think I understand.  They were great musicians and icons, but I do believe Prince was on a different level.  Another thing, too, the EW reporter whose interview I mentioned in a previous post said that while Michael and Whitney were sad and surprising, they weren't shocking because they were troubled souls.  Prince wasn't, as far as anyone knew.  A bit different and shy, for sure, but not troubled.  Someone earlier said something about drugs, but I don't think I've heard anything about that being a part of his life at any time.

I just posted in the music forum that while his sexuality was a little overwhelming for me at the time, I am amazed at how hot and sexy he managed to be in spite of the androgyny.  I saw the Kiss video today for the first time in what feels like forever and damn....just damn.

If you can find Black Sweat - give it a go...HOT.   Yeah, I read the overdose story as well, god damn drugs...I hope that's not how he went out - such a senseless waste of a once in our lifetime artist.  Just gutted - Prince was the soundtrack of my youth and never stopped being relevant.  RIP sweet Prince.

• Love 3

I just saw on the news that TMZ is reporting it was a drug overdose Prince was treated for after his plane made an emergency landing.

I can't believe that.  I just can't believe it.  I don't want to......

• Love 4

That's why I'm confused. I feel silly even mentioning it though.

I'm not in charge of classifying vegan and vegetarians. I only know egg white omelettes are a thing. I don't know who eats them.

Believe me when I say I'm not trying to be "that guy/girl". It was just a distraction for me because it's still not sinking in for me regarding Prince's demise. I've never really felt this way about a celebrity; family member yes, but a celebrity no. Sorry I wasn't trying to derail the thread.