Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

16 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

I think this is the first time I've seen someone's dog included in the list of survivors.

I love that.  A family member died last year, and the obituary included his dogs on the "survived by" list.

• Love 10
3 hours ago, letter8358 said:

Unless you count Captain Lou Albano, who was 76 years old when he passed on. Was there any wrestler that ever reached 80? It seems like it was 60s or 70s that most leave this earth.

A few, Freddie Blassie, Lou Thesz, Verne Gagne, Nick Bockwinkel. But your point is well taken, there are many who have died before 70 and way too many who died much younger than that. It's actually a terrible job. 

• Love 6
On 7/13/2021 at 7:17 PM, letter8358 said:

Unless you count Captain Lou Albano, who was 76 years old when he passed on. Was there any wrestler that ever reached 80? It seems like it was 60s or 70s that most leave this earth.

On 7/13/2021 at 10:26 PM, Superclam said:

A few, Freddie Blassie, Lou Thesz, Verne Gagne, Nick Bockwinkel. But your point is well taken, there are many who have died before 70 and way too many who died much younger than that. It's actually a terrible job. 

Bruno Sammartino, Pat Patterson, The Fabulous Moolah (who was actively performing for WWE  in her late seventies, alongside her old colleague Mae Young, who died in her nineties and was still performing in her late 80's).   There are many, many wrestlers who lived to be old.  The terrible period was the Attitude Era about twenty years ago, when so many wrestlers died in their 30's and early 40's.  The performance style became more demanding (high flying and big bumps off the ring, "stiff" working that caused concussions, etc), and the drug use that I think had always been a thing became a bigger thing as more wrestlers were working steadily (meaning getting hurt steadily) and earning six figure salaries that allowed them to buy a lot of drugs.  It's that generation of wrestlers ( Brian Pillman, Eddy Guerrero, Rick Rude, Test, Chris Candido, Eddie Gilbert, Umaga, Davey Boy Smith, Balls Mahoney, Axl Rotten, etc.) that died young.  The older folks didn't abuse their bodies in the ring so much and often wrestled well into their 70s and 80s.

The current generation seems to have learned from the past (shocking, I know!) and hopefully we will see fewer sad deaths.

On 7/13/2021 at 6:35 PM, Bastet said:

I love that.  A family member died last year, and the obituary included his dogs on the "survived by" list.

Me too. I never seen that before but now I'm going to make sure my brother knows to include my dog and/or cat when I pass. I'm already planning on being the old lady with too many cats and dogs.

• Love 10

Rowdy Roddy Piper was only 61 :(. This was attributed to a pulmonary embolism due to hypertension, after surviving Hodgkin's lymphoma a decade earlier.

"I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubble gum."

• Love 3
(edited)
7 hours ago, MissAlmond said:

Yeah, she sadly passed away on July 1st. So young.

Edited by Hiyo
  • Love 1

That was inevitable, given the circumstances revealed at the time reports of his death were greatly exaggerated, but no less sad; 57 is too young to die.

As someone who couldn't carry a tune with a forklift, the success of the goofy, tone-deaf "You Say He's Just a Friend" always made me laugh.  I don't know anything else about him, but I enjoy that song.

• Love 14
(edited)

RIP Biz Markie.

Back when my husband was teaching foundations of Western Civilizations a HIST 101 college course, during his lectures he's have a timed slide show going on behind him as he lectured.  Whenever he did his unit on Otto Von Bismark and talked about the Bizmarkian revolution he'd cheekily have a picture come up of Biz Markie (in the white Beethoven wig) with a title card 'Oh wait... not this guy... he's just a friend" and then it would flash to a picture of the real Otto with the title card "this guy,"  LOL.  He always got a kick out of when students appreciated his droll sense of humor. 

Edited by DearEvette
  • LOL 11
  • Love 10
(edited)

I love this moment in Men in Black 2:

While filming director Barry Sonnenfeld just came by Will Smith's trailer and Biz Markie was hanging out and they were doing this crazy beatboxing to each other and Sonnenfeld decided to put it and him in the movie!

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Useful 5
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

Award-winning Spanish actress Pilar Bardem, mother of Javier Bardem, dies at 82.

One of Spain's most famous actresses, Pilar is best known for starring in the 1995 film Nadie hablará de nosotras cuando hayamos muerto (Nobody Will Speak of Us When We're Dead), which garnered eight Goya Awards, Spain's highest honor recognizing cinematic achievement. She was nominated again in 2005 for Best Leading Actress in María querida. An activist, Pilar also worked to advance labor rights for actors and civil rights for women. In 2003, she publicly opposed the Spanish government's decision to send troops to Iraq.

Acclaimed actress and Javier's wife Penelope Cruz shared a lengthy tribute in Spanish, saying she "couldn't have dreamed of having a better mother-in-law." The two co-starred in films like Live Flesh and No News from God (also with Javier), as well as Entre rojas.

(edited)
1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Dust in the Wind is by far, my favorite song by Kansas, and it's due in part because of Robby's violin playing. Which always gives me goosebumps. And yes, I just listened to that song.

Yes.  Such a beautiful, haunting song.  R.I.P. Mr. Steinhardt.

Tweet from KANSAS:

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Love 10
(edited)

Renée Dorléac (Simonot professionally), the mother of Catherine Deneuve, passed away on July 11, aged 109. She was the oldest living actor in the world. That distinction was then briefly attributed to Australian actress, Mary Ward, who passed away on July 19, aged 106. The distinction of the oldest living actor in the world is now American actress Marsha Hunt.

Edited by Amello
  • Useful 13
14 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Jackie Mason dies at 93

May your memory be a blessing, Rabbi Krustofsky.

I had the pleasure of seeing two of his one-man shows, The World According to Me and Brand New. I couldn't believe that was over 30 years ago! My favorite routines of his were the "Jews and Gentiles" ones. I don't know if he could tell those same jokes today. I know that his politics shifted rightward in recent years.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

Dieter Brummer: Home and Away actor dies aged 45.

Australian actor Dieter Brummer, best known for his role as Shane Parrish on TV soap Home And Away between 1992 and 1996, has died aged 45.

Brummer was enormously popular on Home and Away during the 1990s, playing the love interest of Melissa George's Angel Brooks.

Brummer left the long-running soap when his character was written out after dying from septicaemia in 1996, but continued to act in TV roles, including true-crime drama Underbelly, Winners and Losers and a 26-episode stint at rival soap, Neighbours, as Capt. Troy Miller, in 2011.

In later years, Brummer revealed he took up a career as a high-rise window cleaner after departing Home and Away to experience life out of the limelight.

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, Hiyo said:

Dieter Brummer: Home and Away actor dies aged 45.

Australian actor Dieter Brummer, best known for his role as Shane Parrish on TV soap Home And Away between 1992 and 1996, has died aged 45.

Brummer was enormously popular on Home and Away during the 1990s, playing the love interest of Melissa George's Angel Brooks.

Brummer left the long-running soap when his character was written out after dying from septicaemia in 1996, but continued to act in TV roles, including true-crime drama Underbelly, Winners and Losers and a 26-episode stint at rival soap, Neighbours, as Capt. Troy Miller, in 2011.

In later years, Brummer revealed he took up a career as a high-rise window cleaner after departing Home and Away to experience life out of the limelight.

That's a shock - that was 'my' era of H&A, I remember Shane and Angel vividly. He was only a year older than me. 

• Love 3

ZZ Top were always the songs, I would crank up whenever they played on classic rock radio. La Grange was a volume buster. They also were great as bluegrass artists in Back To the Future 3. I may just have to watch that tonight in tribute....

• Love 13
5 hours ago, Moose135 said:

But wait, there's more...

RIP

I didn’t get this at first.   But then I read abt Ron Popeil.

A true innovator.  Cheesy, yes.  But he found a niche and created an entire new experience for shoppers.

Also…Ronco

• Love 5